PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Griffiths - Loan extended until the summer

Last Minute
06-01-2012, 06:23 AM
In the Scotsman today that we defo want him ( on loan ) ? Fenlon saying if he has to be bought then we won't be buying him that's for certain? :confused: what's that about, surely we must be able to afford to buy Leigh for gods sake? if not we must be in a worst state that I thought.

Barney McGrew
06-01-2012, 06:27 AM
There will only be a certain amount in the budget available to Fenlon, and since the fee that Wolves are talking about is £150k he's maybe decided that having around another £3k a week available to fund a couple of new players is worth more to him?

Last Minute
06-01-2012, 06:33 AM
There will only be a certain amount in the budget available to Fenlon, and since the fee that Wolves are talking about is £150k he's maybe decided that having around another £3k a week available to fund a couple of new players is worth more to him?

God help us then, a player who is a hibee and wants to be here, and will get better that's for sure and we can't afford £150k . what a joke

we're doomed and going down

HH81
06-01-2012, 06:46 AM
Is he worth 150k?

I wouldn't think his performances have deserved us splashing that kind of cash.

Kojock
06-01-2012, 06:46 AM
IMO Hibs do have the money, its maybe the case that Fenlon does not think he is worth £150k

Last Minute
06-01-2012, 06:48 AM
You would think STF would put his hand in his pocket fo some loose change and buy Griffiths ffs.

Wembley67
06-01-2012, 06:50 AM
IMO Hibs do have the money, its maybe the case that Fenlon does not think he is worth £150k

Did fenlon pay cash sums for players at his old club? Maybe he isn't very good at valuing players...

Last Minute
06-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Is he worth 150k?

I wouldn't think his performances have deserved us splashing that kind of cash.

Your Joking right? 150k and you don't think he worth that? wait until St Johnston or St Mirren buy him and it comes back to haunt us big time.

we are a joke just now, and getting players for free or that nobody else wants are why we are in this state. it's a sad sad time that we can't buy a player for the future and is one of us is very sad indeed.

spike220
06-01-2012, 06:59 AM
God help us then, a player who is a hibee and wants to be here, and will get better that's for sure and we can't afford £150k . what a joke

we're doomed and going down

This is all part of the negotiations playing out in the media, Rod will be looking to get him for a nominal fee with add on's, he is hardly going to go with the first offer is he??

He know Wolves dont want him and he wants to play for hibs, he will squeeze them, its the hibs way.

GGTTH

Kojock
06-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Did fenlon pay cash sums for players at his old club? Maybe he isn't very good at valuing players...

Maybe Fenlon thinks he can get a more complete player for that amount

Kojock
06-01-2012, 07:05 AM
You would think STF would put his hand in his pocket fo some loose change and buy Griffiths ffs.

Why ?

RIP
06-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Wolves don't want Leigh so if any team pay £150K they need their heads examined.

down the slope
06-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Fenlon said in the Scotsman this morning that "if he has to be bought we won't be buying him ", Thank you Rod. Our esteemed chairman should have a look at the league table. It would seem we are not going to buy our way out of the situation , an utter shambles.

DC_Hibs
06-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Your Joking right? 150k and you don't think he worth that? wait until St Johnston or St Mirren buy him and it comes back to haunt us big time.

we are a joke just now, and getting players for free or that nobody else wants are why we are in this state. it's a sad sad time that we can't buy a player for the future and is one of us is very sad indeed.

Where are those two - or any other Scottish club - getting 150k from??
YOU'RE joking right!!

You obviously never noticed the 900k loss we made in the last accounts. Since then our crowds have plummeted even more so there is no danger we will be paying out fees. Spending 150k on Griffiths isnt speculating to accummulate in my opinion either and based on performances so far isnt going to be our saviour albeit I want him to stay (on loan).

These points are all before we discuss whether he is actually worth 150k and the good point made before on this thread about on spending it on wages for a player instead.

Wolves are onbviously not inundated with offers for the boy which is why Hibs are still negotiating with them rather than just caving in and paying a fee for him.

HH81
06-01-2012, 07:24 AM

Yes I'm joking......... Lets just pay 300k just to make sure he doesn't end up at St Johnston or St Mirren. After all he is an Hibs fan.

My question is has Leigh player well enough in the games he has played to expect us to splash 150k on? Not convinced on the games I have seen.

MrRobot
06-01-2012, 07:29 AM
I think a loan would be the right move. LEts see how he does until the Summer. If he plays better, sign him and if he doesnt we havent wasted money. I do think he is going to be a good player in the future though.

Wembley67
06-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Maybe Fenlon thinks he can get a more complete player for that amount

I'm also guessing so, I imagine Fenlon wasn't lumping fairly decent sums of cash around so he knows what he can get compared to managers that throw cash and know they are buying talent.

Roy Hodgson when at Liverpool is a great example that didn't know what to do when he had a pot of gold and was extremely reluctant to do this and when he did it was to appease the fans...sound familiar :hmmm:

Phil MaGlass
06-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Where are those two - or any other Scottish club - getting 150k from??
YOU'RE joking right!!

You obviously never noticed the 900k loss we made in the last accounts. Since then our crowds have plummeted even more so there is no danger we will be paying out fees. Spending 150k on Griffiths isnt speculating to accummulate in my opinion either and based on performances so far isnt going to be our saviour albeit I want him to stay (on loan).

These points are all before we discuss whether he is actually worth 150k and the good point made before on this thread about on spending it on wages for a player instead.

Wolves are onbviously not inundated with offers for the boy which is why Hibs are still negotiating with them rather than just caving in and paying a fee for him.

and the reason being, short term contracts, not willing to part with cash for players and poor journeymen.
150,000 for a Scotland u21 with promise?
mibbe its Rods way of negotiating.

Last Minute
06-01-2012, 07:42 AM
and the reason being, short term contracts, not willing to part with cash for players and poor journeymen.
150,000 for a Scotland u21 with promise?
mibbe its Rods way of negotiating.

Glad somebody agrees with me, that's the reason we are in this state in the first place, let's wait until everybody buys the players they want and see what's left, that's the hibs way.

bingo70
06-01-2012, 07:45 AM
I think there'd be far better value for money out there than 150k they're wanting.

Off the top of my head sutton from hearts and the morrocan boy from falkirk both have better scoring records than griffiths, I don't disagree he has potential but if we were to start gambling on players maybe coming good I'd want it on someone that's been better than griffiths has been.

Also the fact he's a hibby is about irrelevant as it gets.

happiehibbie
06-01-2012, 07:47 AM
I have yet to see him play a decent game I dont think he is worth 150K

On his defence he is not a lone striker or a winger he is someone who would play off another centre forward

HH81
06-01-2012, 07:47 AM
I think there'd be far better value for money out there than 150k they're wanting.

Off the top of my head sutton from hearts and the morrocan boy from falkirk both have better scoring records than griffiths, I don't disagree he has potential but if we were to start gambling on players maybe coming good I'd want it on someone that's been better than griffiths has been.

Also the fact he's a hibby is about irrelevant as it gets.

Good post. :agree:

happiehibbie
06-01-2012, 07:52 AM

On his defence he is not a lone striker or a winger he is someone who would play off another centre forward

brydekirk
06-01-2012, 08:14 AM

maybe needs his budget for another player who we cant get on loan !

Andy74
06-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Has it escaped notice that Wolves just paid 150k for him and are now regretting it??

ScottB
06-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Given his impact so far, and number of goals, I fail to see the clamour to spend cash on him. Is it because some folk spent so long raving about him before he came that it has just stuck?

Given how awful this team has been, and how often he's played, I can't see how he can be thought of as some essential component. If we can get him back on loan or on the cheap, fair enough, but his club clearly don't want him, so just paying what they want seems daft. Can't imagine there will be a queue of clubs wanting him based on his performances with us anyway.

As for him 'being a Hibby' it didn't stop folk tearing Nish apart at every opportunity. Has absolutely no relation to whether he should be at the club or not.

The Voice Of Reason
06-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Griffiths had a good game at Fir Park in the cup. That's it though. The majority of the time he has been average at best.

Maybe he has been acting on Rod's instructions and playing deliberately poorly (so we can get him for next to nowt?!?) :wink:

In summary, I think the £150,000 would be better spent elsewhere (like on a decent midfielder!)

Craig_in_Prague
06-01-2012, 08:34 AM
I'd only keep him on if we get the loan extended or for a nominal fee, 150K may not sound a lot, but that's a decent chunk of money we can put towards wages in the short term, to try get players in Jan - a window we know that is hard to do so...

If Fenlon see's him as a really good longer term prospect then i'm sure Petrie will get his poker face on again to play with Wolves chairman, but ultimately we need to think now and get players in that keep us up this season.

If I am to be honest, perhaps harsh, I think the lad will never really 'make it' and Hibs might even be above his level (which is very harsh I know considering our current stanard of player), I haven't been impressed with him and needs to seriously work on his composure to become a better player.

East Coast Hibe
06-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Has it escaped notice that Wolves just paid 150k for him and are now regretting it??

Premiership teams often buy 3 or 4 young lads from Scottish or lower English league teams who have shown potential. They pay between 100 - 250K and if only one of them comes good they are delighted. The rest - they sell for half of what they paid.

Wolves will know they won't get their money back on griffiths, but I think Hibs should negotiate to buy him if it's between 75 - 100K. Christ it's only an extra 1000 paying fans at 4 home games. St Mirren and St Johnstone are both tracking him.

hulk
06-01-2012, 08:38 AM
It's the we won't pay anything for him that concerns me. We paid £100k for jimmy Scott and we aren't,t willing to pay at all for a decent young striker with potential - close to our best player in derby and with the right partner his holing up off the ball could be just what we need . Until we speculate a bit to Advance we will continue the transformation to becoming a 1st div club.

bingo70
06-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Given his impact so far, and number of goals, I fail to see the clamour to spend cash on him. Is it because some folk spent so long raving about him before he came that it has just stuck?

Given how awful this team has been, and how often he's played, I can't see how he can be thought of as some essential component. If we can get him back on loan or on the cheap, fair enough, but his club clearly don't want him, so just paying what they want seems daft. Can't imagine there will be a queue of clubs wanting him based on his performances with us anyway.

As for him 'being a Hibby' it didn't stop folk tearing Nish apart at every opportunity. Has absolutely no relation to whether he should be at the club or not.

I think some of it comes from people desperate to see a change in strategy and get us start paying for players instead of picking up players on free transfers.

To an extent i'm warming to that theory as well but if we are going to go down that route i'd want us to be a 110% certain on the player before signing him and i don't think anyone can be totally convinced he's worth that money now, maybe he'd end up being worth it in the future but where we are now and what we need now i'd give paying a transfer fee for him a miss too.

R'Albin
06-01-2012, 08:45 AM
As Spike220 said, we could just be bluffing in the media when we say we can't buy him, because they might take their price down. There is absolutely no reason for Rod to ***** 150k on him when we could get him for half the price later on. I could see him being a Hibs player by the end of this window or by the end of the season.

He has the potential to turn into a good player imo. One issue he has though is that if he gets time to think about what he's doing he tends to muck it up. He hasn't got a great scoring record this season but that could also be down to the fact he is getting played up front on his own, and getting piss poor service from the midfield.

Andy74
06-01-2012, 08:46 AM
I think some of it comes from people desperate to see a change in strategy and get us start paying for players instead of picking up players on free transfers.

To an extent i'm warming to that theory as well but if we are going to go down that route i'd want us to be a 110% certain on the player before signing him and i don't think anyone can be totally convinced he's worth that money now, maybe he'd end up being worth it in the future but where we are now and what we need now i'd give paying a transfer fee for him a miss too.

The days of us, or any similar sized teams buying players are over.

I think we need to get away from just looking at wherhwer people are free or cost money, it's their quality that counts and we have had far more decent players who were free than we've had paying for players.

Recently I can recall us paying for Nish, Rankin, Scott, Maka and O'Brien.

Amongst the players we've got free have been Boozy, Murphy, Shiels, Benji, Osbourne, Miller and Stokes (we didn't pay a fee as people think).

Wolves took a punt and have concluded he wasn't worth their 150k.

Part of the appeal of Fenlon is that he is used to working on little budget and has been able to form winning teams without big stars. We've tried a bit too much on getting players in with good reputations who dodn't deliver. I'll be more than happy if we just get players that work well in the positions we need and create a better team overall. It's what all the other SPL clubs who spend less than us seem to do very well.

bingo70
06-01-2012, 08:55 AM
The days of us, or any similar sized teams buying players are over.

I think we need to get away from just looking at wherhwer people are free or cost money, it's their quality that counts and we have had far more decent players who were free than we've had paying for players.

Recently I can recall us paying for Nish, Rankin, Scott, Maka and O'Brien.

Amongst the players we've got free have been Boozy, Murphy, Shiels, Benji, Osbourne, Miller and Stokes (we didn't pay a fee as people think).

Wolves took a punt and have concluded he wasn't worth their 150k.

Part of the appeal of Fenlon is that he is used to working on little budget and has been able to form winning teams without big stars. We've tried a bit too much on getting players in with good reputations who dodn't deliver. I'll be more than happy if we just get players that work well in the positions we need and create a better team overall. It's what all the other SPL clubs who spend less than us seem to do very well.

Yup, all fair points and the view i have generally agreed with recently.

I'm just thinking what we've been doing recently hasn't been working and that's involved picking up freebies that other clubs didn't want, what i'd like to see happening is us signing players from clubs based on them doing well and earning a move to us so they come to us with a bit confidence and a swagger and not coming to us with their confidence dented because they weren't good enough to make it at their previous club and to get that kind of player i think we might need to start spending money on transfer fees.

As you say though there's plenty of examples to argue against this and just pick up freebies but our scouting system seems to have gone downhill rapidly since the days of Boozy, Shiels and Murphy so i don't have the same faith that any freebies we do get will be of that standard.

Barney McGrew
06-01-2012, 08:59 AM
to get that kind of player i think we might need to start spending money on transfer fees

To be fair, we've been doing that already with Scott, Bamba, Rankin (who was doing well at ICT when we bought him), Nish (proven SPL goalscorer), O'Brien (Irish U-21 international) etc. etc.

There's no exact science to it, and TBH I think we'd all agree the most important thing, fee or not, is to get someone in who's better than what we already have.

RIP
06-01-2012, 09:13 AM
If they are serious bidders Saint Johnstone will be able to offer a better signing on fee, a rent-free house/utilities. That's reputedly how they got Sheridan, Haber and Sandaza. It goes without saying they can also dangle possible European qualification, a settled side and a good team spirit

bingo70
06-01-2012, 09:15 AM
To be fair, we've been doing that already with Scott, Bamba, Rankin (who was doing well at ICT when we bought him), Nish (proven SPL goalscorer), O'Brien (Irish U-21 international) etc. etc.

There's no exact science to it, and TBH I think we'd all agree the most important thing, fee or not, is to get someone in who's better than what we already have.

Scott was having a poor season when we got him and was struggling to get a game (BTW he's been like a different player these last few weeks), Bamba is exactly the type of signing i'm advocating, Rankin was ok for them but there was mixed feelings from the calley fans and everyone could see we should have been signing Black from that Inverness team but in that instance IMO we did go for the cheaper option instead of the better player who would have been affordable at the time, Nish did well at first so again buying a player with confidence worked and O'Brien is exactly the type of low on confidence signing i'm talking about.

As you say though there's no exact science to it but i think if the club weren't examining our signing policy just now there would be something wrong because whatever we're doing just now clearly isn't working.

ginger_rice
06-01-2012, 09:41 AM

:top marks

We could spend our limited budget on one or two "names" who rapidly get dragged down to out current squads level, as seems to have been the norm since 07, or we could get together a team who actually fight for one another and for the team, who know how to grind out results when needed and get us out of our current predicament.

J-C
06-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Unfortunately he like many others haven't set the heather on fire this season and seeing we're in desperate need of players in other positions, £150,000 would be better used getting these players in. If we can't arrange another loan for Griffiths, I'm sure there's others out there just as good if not better we could get on loan.

NorthNorfolkHFC
06-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Colin Nish: 0.33 Goals per starts he had at Hibs.

Leigh Griffiths: 0.36 Goals per starts he has had at Hibs.

Not much in it, its cause they are both Hibbies!!! :stirrer:

spike220
06-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Colin Nish: 0.33 Goals per starts he had at Hibs.

Leigh Griffiths: 0.36 Goals per starts he has had at Hibs.

Not much in it, its cause they are both Hibbies!!! :stirrer:

What would GOC's stats be?

Baldy Foghorn
06-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Griffiths had a good game at Fir Park in the cup. That's it though. The majority of the time he has been average at best.

Maybe he has been acting on Rod's instructions and playing deliberately poorly (so we can get him for next to nowt?!?) :wink:

In summary, I think the £150,000 would be better spent elsewhere (like on a decent midfielder!)

He had a great game away to St Mirren when we won 3-2

NorthNorfolkHFC
06-01-2012, 10:52 AM
What would GOC's stats be?

In all games started. 0.55 per game.

In his most recent stint at Hibs. 0.61 per game.

DaveF
06-01-2012, 11:13 AM
If they are serious bidders Saint Johnstone will be able to offer a better signing on fee, a rent-free house/utilities. That's reputedly how they got Sheridan, Haber and Sandaza. It goes without saying they can also dangle possible European qualification, a settled side and a good team spirit

And better fans :greengrin

Ozyhibby
06-01-2012, 11:14 AM
John Sutton is a better player. If we have money for a striker then I would prefer him.

NorthNorfolkHFC
06-01-2012, 11:15 AM
In all games started. 0.55 per game.

In his most recent stint at Hibs. 0.61 per game.

Akpo sodje: 0.55 goals per game in hi time at hibs (only taking into account starts)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.973985,-3.187220

Northernhibee
06-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Fenlon said in the Scotsman this morning that "if he has to be bought we won't be buying him ", Thank you Rod. Our esteemed chairman should have a look at the league table. It would seem we are not going to buy our way out of the situation , an utter shambles.

Leigh has been part of the team that has seen us down in 11th place - he's not the answer to our problems by ourself.

If Fenlon has three £50k targets in mind, or one £150k targets, that would mean we'd be stronger in three areas rather than just the one.

Can we all please just get over this "woe is me" rubbish and get on with our lives?

jdships
06-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Why ? :confused:

scoopyboy
06-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Why ? :confused:

If I owned a club I think I would try to invest a bit of dosh to stop my investment going completely t*** up.

If we get relegated I'm sure his club wouldn't be worth as much.

Howzat for a logical answer.

Northernhibee
06-01-2012, 11:42 AM
If I owned a club I think I would try to invest a bit of dosh to stop my investment going completely t*** up.

As I say, Griffiths in himself isn't the answer - he's been part of the team that puts us where we are.

If Fenlon has two or three players in mind for the same fee/wages Griffiths would command, I'd rather we passed Griffiths by and looked at strengthening our entire team.

scoopyboy
06-01-2012, 11:51 AM
As I say, Griffiths in himself isn't the answer - he's been part of the team that puts us where we are.

If Fenlon has two or three players in mind for the same fee/wages Griffiths would command, I'd rather we passed Griffiths by and looked at strengthening our entire team.

Agreed.

I'm not sure now after reading back if jdships was meaning why should STF put his hand in his pocket or why he should put his hand in his pocket to buy Leigh Griffiths.

My answer was to why STF might consider putting a bit of money in.

The Voice Of Reason
06-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Fair point, I forgot about that ! :agree:

offshorehibby
06-01-2012, 12:05 PM
On performance so far i would not pay the money. Even if we get him for nothing it still ties up a wage on a gamble. buying him because he's a Hibby should not come into it.

sahib
06-01-2012, 12:23 PM

To me Griffiths is a sort of poor man's Riordan. Has all of Derek's physical disadvantages but less abilities with which to overcome them. He is probably worth the money but, not if that is a sizeable portion of the allocated budget for keeping us up.

Hibs90
06-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Buying Griffiths would be a tidy acquisition. Hibs would be ****ing stupid to not pay 150k.

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Glad somebody agrees with me, that's the reason we are in this state in the first place, let's wait until everybody buys the players they want and see what's left, that's the hibs way.

I dont agree with you, he has promise i will grant you that, but imo he's not worth £150k. I'd prefer we bought or brought in someone better, who will score goals now.

Captain Trips
06-01-2012, 12:34 PM
These are one of the cons of a loan, we are basically taking a snapshot of a player in what 4/5mths he could arrive out of form or lacking in confidence or just be on a bad run, the sort of thing you see with all strikers, we could have taken the same snapshot of Fletcher etc etc when they had a spell of no luck or not playing well, who is to say once he hits form if it is there he scores lots.

He was not playing so has maybe taken longer to get into form than if we got a loan of a player whom was playing week in week out, for me I do not think we have seen everything he has to offer as yet.

I will say when he has played and got a lot of games under belt his record although in lower leagues is decent, do I see something to make me think he is out of form and could offer more? Yes I do, is he worth £150k in todays market? Yeah he probably may well be. Should we buy him? I would like us to but I would need to know how much that leaves us and is that deal worth it.

SteveHFC
06-01-2012, 12:42 PM

Petrie won't get his finger out of his a*** to buy some good players. Because we will replace the current ***** with even more ***** on cheap wages.
The players we have been linked with recently do worrie me.

truehibernian
06-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Agreed.

I'm not sure now after reading back if jdships was meaning why should STF put his hand in his pocket or why he should put his hand in his pocket to buy Leigh Griffiths.

My answer was to why STF might consider putting a bit of money in.

Agree 100% scoopy. Also, someone (above) said that St Johnstone could offer incentives such as houses to their signings...........so can (and do) Hibs. For example STF owns a whole block (literally) of new build flats in the New Town, in a hugely desireable area. Don't see why it cannot be part of the negotiating process to be honest.

I know it's never wise to look back and use the old adage 'with the benefit of hindsight', but think of the money we wasted on Smith, Hart, AOB, Trakys, Dickoh, EDG and Duffy then say £150,000 isn't worth paying for a Scottish U21 international, with hunger and talent, who could be superb in a confident side......absolute no brainer for me, he has to be bought. The players I mentioned were no doubt on 5 or 6 times the amount (combined) that would secure the player. Incidentally, Leigh has nearly scored more goals and had more assists than all of those players combined in under half a season.

For me the whole set up has to be examined from RP downwards. We have signed players who have had serious injuries yet expect them to be up and running and 'back to normal' (Hart, EDG and Duffy). We have signed players who have had more clubs than Tiger Woods (Trakys, Agogo)......if you were an employer, surely one of your leading questions to a potential employee would be 'why have you had so many jobs in such a short space of time' or 'I see from your CV you missed a lot of work in the last 2 years'.......the signing policy (or names put forward) for me have never ever been properly scrutinised. I think Leigh has been playing non stop football since his Livi days....so he ticks both boxes of having a good injury record and longevity at clubs.

The players we sign, albeit in this January window, should be players who are fit (or up to speed), who have not come back from serious injury, and who have a good pedigree of clubs. Disciplinary record is also crucial IMHO and one that seems to be the last on the list of prerequisites.

Last season I listed a wee list of up and coming players from both the SPL and SFL that Hibs would be worthy of looking at. One was Kenny McLean of St Mirren who I think has a delightful technique and good football upbringing. There were some who mocked and said that Hibs were 'bigger than that' and Kenny Who.......well it looks like young Kenny is now a target this window for Burnley who themselves have a talented, young, hungry manager who likes good discipline and players with a footballing brain.

We have to be realistic and look at lower leagues here too. One name I will put forwards now, young Riley from Dundee. Terrific player, would walk into the Hibs team as it stands, and improve......bet however there are folk who dismiss Dundee and the SFL still though. They won't when we are there, I can guarantee that (if it happens).

easty
06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I'd think we could get him for less than £150k. But regardless, we should be making offers based on future performance, like offer Wolves £50k up front with £100k after he makes his Scotland debut (which will be never so long as Levein is in charge).

easty
06-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Agree 100% scoopy. Also, someone (above) said that St Johnstone could offer incentives such as houses to their signings...........so can (and do) Hibs. For example STF owns a whole block (literally) of new build flats in the New Town, in a hugely desireable area. Don't see why it cannot be part of the negotiating process to be honest.

STF is a businessman. I don't think he would have bought these properties just to hand them out to footballers (people who are paid pretty well already). Unless you're saying he's already doing so?

Captain Trips
06-01-2012, 12:54 PM
I'd think we could get him for less than £150k. But regardless, we should be making offers based on future performance, like offer Wolves £50k up front with £100k after he makes his Scotland debut (which will be never so long as Levein is in charge).

Build in a good sell on % for them, Levien though would pick him to cost us 100k though I bet :greengrin

truehibernian
06-01-2012, 01:00 PM
STF is a businessman. I don't think he would have bought these properties just to hand them out to footballers (people who are paid pretty well already). Unless you're saying he's already doing so?

And Hibs are Sir Tom's investment too............say Leigh moves for a couple of million in 2 years......worth the risk of a flat in the New Town (or elsewhere) ? Every player has a price, some deserve more than others and some are worth offering more than others. Age, talent, potential and current playing career record all points to Leigh being a wise investment for me.If he is well managed and forms the basis of a good, hungry, confident side.

I wasn't saying it to be obstructive, but if we lack cash (as a business), but hold property (or our owner does), then every avenue should be explored.

allezsauzee
06-01-2012, 01:53 PM
He's 21 and scored almost 50 goals. That's a pretty decent start to his career.

jdships
06-01-2012, 02:02 PM

How does anybody really know how much money he has already invested in this club or are you saying STF is doing a Romanov and pulling out :confused:
On subject of investment - is £150000 for LG a good investment ?
Personally I think there is better value elsewhere ( but then that's only my opinion :greengrin )

easty
06-01-2012, 02:18 PM
And Hibs are Sir Tom's investment too............say Leigh moves for a couple of million in 2 years......worth the risk of a flat in the New Town (or elsewhere) ? Every player has a price, some deserve more than others and some are worth offering more than others. Age, talent, potential and current playing career record all points to Leigh being a wise investment for me.If he is well managed and forms the basis of a good, hungry, confident side.

I wasn't saying it to be obstructive, but if we lack cash (as a business), but hold property (or our owner does), then every avenue should be explored.

I'm sure his property portfolio is very much a traditional type investment, ie to make him money. It's not the same as his 'investment' in Hibs.

Hibiza
06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
sell on liability Hart, should free up a few quid.

Aldo
06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Hibs are notorious for playing their cards very close to their chests when it comes to transfers etc. for me the way I expect them to do it.

I am as frustrated as most folk on here at the lack of movement into the club but I definitely expect at least 3 new faces in the team come the pars game ( as I have previously posted).

We will win tomorrow, get new faces in and the Hibees Family will head to EEP in their thousands to see us win.

Aldo
06-01-2012, 02:30 PM
FFS anyone slating STF should take a good look in the mirror. If it wasn't for him then there is a good chance we wouldn't be here.

I will agree however that a wee sub might get us out of this predicament.... Whose to say though this hadn't already been done. Just cos he doesn't slaver a big pile of ***** like the arse across town doesn't mean to say he isn't involved.

He knows the score....my previous post mentions business done the right way and for me it's the only way.

Rant over

GG

Big Frank
06-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Loan extended until summer.

Good

Kojock
06-01-2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120106/griffiths-loan-stay-extended_2262950_2568676

OFFICIAL - Griffiths has extended his loan deal with Hibs till the Summer.

Aldo
06-01-2012, 02:34 PM

Great news IMHO. O and hopefully 1st refusal in summer.

Wilson
06-01-2012, 02:34 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120106/griffiths-loan-stay-extended_2262950_2568676

I think that is the best deal for everyone concerned.

Hibs90
06-01-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm going to stay at least until the summer is something I'm really pleased about.

Maybe after the summer he signs on a permanent deal :wink:

12AlbionPlace
06-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Maybe after the summer he signs on a permanent deal :wink:

Well he does have experience of playing in the 1st Division :duck:

thebausburst
06-01-2012, 02:48 PM
As it says on the title, loan extended till summer - great news IMO:flag:

Pretty Boy
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
I thought St Mirren had stumped us with a 100K deal?

Good news IMO. Gives Hibs a chance to take a longer look and let's the player play football.

Barney McGrew
06-01-2012, 02:55 PM

:agree:

Petrie wouldn't stump up the money again so he's going to Paisley. It's a FACT, I read it on here so it must be.

Oh, wait.............

Andy74
06-01-2012, 02:57 PM

Good news IMO. Gives Hibs a chance to take a longer look and let's the player play football.

Seeing as they want to sell this is a good bit of business and we must have had to do some sort of deal to make this happen.

bingo70
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Hopefully he'll be able to relax and score some goals now, I've not been impressed so far but there does appear to be some potential their so I think it may be a case of him trying too hard in games trying to win a longer term deal.

SteveHFC
06-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Excellent News

Hibbyradge
06-01-2012, 03:06 PM
We're a joke club...

Er

Aldo
06-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Hopefully he'll be able to relax and score some goals now, I've not been impressed so far but there does appear to be some potential their so I think it may be a case of him trying too hard in games trying to win a longer term deal.

Bingo. Just needs the right encouragement and to be pointed in the right direction IMHO. For me he was our best outfield player in Mon (not hard I hear you say) but showed good movement, holding up the ball and held his own against 2 CH's.

50 career goals but 21 isn't bad.

Get him playing in a better team and he will come good.

Saorsa
06-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Great news IMHO. O and hopefully 1st refusal in summer.:agree:

:applause:

lucky
06-01-2012, 03:14 PM
This thread just shows how much fans who claim to be in the know actually know. Several on here were having a pop at the club and Hibs then sign him on again to at least the summer. So what happen to St, Mirren and St Johnstones bids?

matty_f
06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Decent deal for all concerned I think.

Is it greedy to hope for someone new in time for the game tomorrow?

Aldo
06-01-2012, 03:22 PM

Nope but think it might be a wee but too late Matty.. Unless its already done;-)

R'Albin
06-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Good stuff :thumbsup:

We'll see if he's worth putting a bid in for at the summer :agree:

Aldo
06-01-2012, 03:23 PM
This thread just shows how much fans who claim to be in the know actually know. Several on here were having a pop at the club and Hibs then sign him on again to at least the summer. So what happen to St, Mirren and St Johnstones bids?

Lucky once again the club do what they do best, and for me the way business should be done

Announce it once the deal is completed

silverhibee
06-01-2012, 03:24 PM

Yep, the owner will have to invest in his investment if he wants his club to stay in the SPL, to the people who say WHY, its his club, whats the use of investing his money in to a new stadium new training centre and not investing in the playing side of things, he is the only man that can get us out of this situation by investing money in to his club.

Andy74
06-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Yep, the owner will have to invest in his investment if he wants his club to stay in the SPL, to the people who say WHY, its his club, whats the use of investing his money in to a new stadium new training centre and not investing in the playing side of things, he is the only man that can get us out of this situation by investing money in to his club.

Or the manager can just use the squad and the budget a bit better than the previous ones? Radical idea and all that. :greengrin

Andy74
06-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Excellent News

Will Hibs be getting your apology now then? :wink:

Big Frank
06-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Lucky once again the club do what they do best, and for me the way business should be done

Announce it once the deal is completed

Absolutely Aldo.

Not being greedy at all Matty imo.

Paddy Fenlon and our board will have been addressing the issues with the Hibernian playing squad from the minute Paddy signed on the dotted line, if not before. I think your "greed" will be well satisfied over the next couple of weeks :agree:

Hibbyradge
06-01-2012, 03:57 PM

That's one option.

The other is to cut your losses.

BEEJ
06-01-2012, 04:00 PM

Great news! :thumbsup:

I think a loan would be the right move. LEts see how he does until the Summer. If he plays better, sign him and if he doesnt we havent wasted money. I do think he is going to be a good player in the future though.
You called it right before it was announced. Well done!

Last season I listed a wee list of up and coming players from both the SPL and SFL that Hibs would be worthy of looking at. One was Kenny McLean of St Mirren who I think has a delightful technique and good football upbringing. There were some who mocked and said that Hibs were 'bigger than that' and Kenny Who.......well it looks like young Kenny is now a target this window for Burnley who themselves have a talented, young, hungry manager who likes good discipline and players with a footballing brain.

We have to be realistic and look at lower leagues here too. One name I will put forwards now, young Riley from Dundee. Terrific player, would walk into the Hibs team as it stands, and improve......bet however there are folk who dismiss Dundee and the SFL still though. They won't when we are there, I can guarantee that (if it happens).
Get this .net poster on our scouting network!

These are just the kind of players in our back yard that we should be snapping up before the English clubs start taking an interest.

ALF TUPPER
06-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Lucky boy Sparky. Welcome back on board for the remainder of the season.
Time for everyone to up their game son.

Glory glory

SurferRosa
06-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Good news this...:agree:
I think the lad is potentially a very good player who can develop further in a good Hibs team.....over tae you Nutsy.:agree:

Dinkydoo
06-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Good news!

Wouldn't be happy about Hibs forking out anything more than 100 thousand pounds for him in the summer though; unless he can live up to his potential and start showing us just how good he is - in a decent (and more importantly), confident side he could be brilliant.

The_Todd
06-01-2012, 05:23 PM

That's just spare change to Wolves.

Last Minute
06-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Great news, go on sparky bang them in son. hope we buy you in the summer. delighted your here. :hibees

basehibby
06-01-2012, 05:25 PM
:thumbsup: Good news - will allow him to settle down a bit more and give him the chance to earn a permanent deal - hope he takes it!

Jim44
06-01-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm happy to see him at ER for another few months but let's not go overboard about what we've got ...................... a 'promising' player who nobody else ,including us, was willing to pay peanuts for. :dunno:

Saorsa
06-01-2012, 05:37 PM
:thumbsup: Good news - will allow him to settle down a bit more and give him the chance to earn a permanent deal - hope he takes it!:agree:

Need tae get something done with the midfield though, disnae matter who we have up front if there's little or nae service.

degenerated
06-01-2012, 06:04 PM

Maybe they didn't have a spare house or big enough signing on fee to give him, or some other pish that someone just made up.

silverhibee
06-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Or the manager can just use the squad and the budget a bit better than the previous ones? Radical idea and all that. :greengrin

I dont reckon that Fenlon will have the same kind of budget that the last two managers had at there disposal, this budget will have to be used very wisely by the manager this January and of course he will have to be a miracle worker to try and get the current squad playing better.

BEEJ
06-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm happy to see him at ER for another few months but let's not go overboard about what we've got ...................... a 'promising' player who nobody else ,including us, was willing to pay peanuts for. :dunno:
Right - so LG is not Robin Van Persie. I think we all knew that.

Can we not just have ONE piece of good news on here without posters vying with one another to pour cold water on it. :rolleyes:

Would you rather that a bid of £100k from another club had been successful (and therefore that LG would be leaving ER) simply so that we could say, "he has a market value"? Or would that have been the cue for slamming the club for not having the foresight to invest in this potential talent?

We have a threadbare squad. It's the smallest squad we have had in many seasons. Many of those players in that squad that were meant to have the experience / talent to carry us through this season have either absented themselves since PF arrived (Agogo, Thornhill) or are injured (O'Connor, Osbourne).

This is akin to a signing - and one we badly need at the moment.

silverhibee
06-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Great news! :thumbsup:

You called it right before it was announced. Well done!

Get this .net poster on our scouting network!

These are just the kind of players in our back yard that we should be snapping up before the English clubs start taking an interest.

And its about time he became a PM too, :thumbsup:

Scouse Hibee
06-01-2012, 06:31 PM

Why show your hand and pay out cash when you don't need to :confused:

Another astute bit of business by Hibs in my opinion, let's just hope any other business in this window is conducted in the same manner!

MSK
06-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Why show your hand and pay out cash when you don't need to :confused:

Another astute bit of business by Hibs in my opinion, let's just hope any other business in this window is conducted in the same manner!Spot on Scouse ..too many on here just prefer tae put the boot intae RP etc ..:agree:

silverhibee
06-01-2012, 06:33 PM
:agree:

Need tae get something done with the midfield though, disnae matter who we have up front if there's little or nae service.

Its been like that for the last two seasons now, i know Deek got a hard time last season from some on here, but the service to our frontman has been horrific for age's and it needs to be addressed this window, someone with a bit of vision to play the quick pass to the forward rather than the ball going backwards most of the time. :greengrin

Saorsa
06-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Its been like that for the last two seasons now, i know Deek got a hard time last season from some on here, but the service to our frontman has been horrific for age's and it needs to be addressed this window, someone with a bit of vision to play the quick pass to the forward rather than the ball going backwards most of the time. :greengrin:agree:

Nakedmanoncrack
06-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Can't understand the apparent enthusiasm here for Griffiths :confused:
Would have rather seen the back of him to be honest.

Sir David Gray
06-01-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm quite pleased with this.

I think we still need one more up front to be honest, especially in the event that Garry O'Connor goes to prison, and I've not been overly impressed with Griffiths so far if I'm being honest about it.

However, he clearly does have ability. The way he finished his goals at St Mirren and Dundee Utd suggest that he's worth persevering with but I'd like to see how he does over the next few months before saying whether or not we should be signing him on a permanent contract.

SloopJB
06-01-2012, 07:09 PM

And where would he keep him?

WhileTheChief..
06-01-2012, 11:42 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16447937.stm

Saorsa
06-01-2012, 11:49 PM
and man lands on the moon :wink: :greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?224766-Leigh-Griffiths-Loan-extended-until-the-summer/page3

Scouse Hibee
06-01-2012, 11:51 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16447937.stm

Your power just been switched back on? :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
06-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Lol, oops!

allezsauzee
07-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Good News :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
07-01-2012, 08:04 AM

And was also excellent at Parkhead in the 0-0 draw. Good news as I think he will only get better hopefully starting with a couple of goals this afternoon.

The Falcon
07-01-2012, 08:34 AM

It's not an investment it's a money pit.

He has already put in over £10m and we are £6m in debt so I doubt he would get anywhere near his money back if he sold, after twenty years as investmnents go I would doubt he has been involved in worse.

brydekirk
07-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Good news!

Wouldn't be happy about Hibs forking out anything more than 100 thousand pounds for him in the summer though; unless he can live up to his potential and start showing us just how good he is - in a decent (and more importantly), confident side he could be
brilliant.

Only thing is, when he starts banging the baw in the net his price tag goes up !

Gordon Quinn
07-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Only thing is, when he starts banging the baw in the net his price tag goes up !

Agree 100%. It does not matter if any of us think he is good enough, if Pat Fenlon wants him to be part of his Hibs team, the board should back him and sign Griffiths on a 3 year deal. Otherwise we risk the chance of losing him in the summer and we're back to square one for that position. This will be exactly what happens if he plays well! Griffiths will not be worth less than 100-150K in 3 years time. The more likely outcome would be his value rising and Hibs selling him for a couple of million.

Signing any player is a slight gamble, the odd in this case, considering all the factors are in Hibs' favour! Get him signed!

Centre Hawf
07-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Considering the times we have spent money on duds like scott id say 100k would be a steal for a laddie that can only improve in a good team or with age.

Hey atleast hes got a good record in division 1. It could come in handy next year

Phil MaGlass
07-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Can't understand the apparent enthusiasm here for Griffiths :confused:
Would have rather seen the back of him to be honest.

and he scores again
he will be gone by the summer to a bigger club cos hibs couldnae pay wolves what they wanted?????

Captain Trips
07-01-2012, 04:57 PM
These are one of the cons of a loan, we are basically taking a snapshot of a player in what 4/5mths he could arrive out of form or lacking in confidence or just be on a bad run, the sort of thing you see with all strikers, we could have taken the same snapshot of Fletcher etc etc when they had a spell of no luck or not playing well, who is to say once he hits form if it is there he scores lots.

He was not playing so has maybe taken longer to get into form than if we got a loan of a player whom was playing week in week out, for me I do not think we have seen everything he has to offer as yet.

I will say when he has played and got a lot of games under belt his record although in lower leagues is decent, do I see something to make me think he is out of form and could offer more? Yes I do, is he worth £150k in todays market? Yeah he probably may well be. Should we buy him? I would like us to but I would need to know how much that leaves us and is that deal worth it.

Further to this I think it is vital to this season get some form of continuity in positions, I would go for it and sign him permanatly, PF thinks is good enough to keep on so lets have a Doyle and LG combo going.

nortonhibby
07-01-2012, 06:54 PM
and he scores again
he will be gone by the summer to a bigger club cos hibs couldnae pay wolves what they wanted?????

Another master stroke by RP Don Teflon 150k and we could have had him on a 3 year deal, now when he bangs the goals in the price will be a lot more in 6 months.

well done RP:confused:

matty_f
07-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Another master stroke by RP Don Teflon 150k and we could have had him on a 3 year deal, now when he bangs the goals in the price will be a lot more in 6 months.

:rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
07-01-2012, 07:27 PM

Fingers crossed he'll not score any/many goals then?