PDA

View Full Version : Pubs in Cowdenbeath

Jaz
05-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Can anyone recommend a child friendly pub near the ground?

monktonharp
06-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Can anyone recommend a child friendly pub near the ground? not sure but I'd try the " old cross guns" which I checked out yesterday, they have a lounge used for meals and sure there were some kids in there. spoke to the manageress and seemed ok, as long as fans can behave themselves. her words not mine, but it is the very first pub, as you come in from the motorway, and is less than 10 mins from the ground. Ithink the majority of boozers are close to central park anyway.

Zondervan
06-01-2012, 09:02 AM
http://www.scottishgrounds.co.uk/cowdenbeath.htm#Where%20To%20Drink?

"There is a small bar at the stadium itself, which is both popular with home and away supporters, plus there is also the nearby Park Bar which is also quite popular. Otherwise there are a number of other bars located on or around the nearby High St, including the Crown Hotel which is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide"

Also, "The New Goth" & "Partners" are between the ground and the station. "Dunvegan" & "Cross Guns" are a wee bit further up the road.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/results.shtml/el/Cowdenbeath%3BFife/

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=cowdenbeath&ll=56.109456,-3.338792&spn=0.006497,0.021136&hnear=Cowdenbeath,+Fife,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=6

Phil D. Rolls
06-01-2012, 09:57 AM
For further information for child friendly bars in Cowdenbeath, the traveller could do worse than consult "If you liked school, you'll love work", by Irvine Welsh.:aok:

Pretty Boy
06-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm not fussy about child friendly, just looking for a bar that a few other Hibbies will be in.

Hermit Crab
06-01-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm not fussy about child friendly, just looking for a bar that a few other Hibbies will be in.

The new goth right at the bottom of the ramp for the station is the cheapest pub in fife. Its also 2min from the ground. I have that on good authority from fifers I work with :aok:

Pretty Boy
06-01-2012, 11:11 AM
The new goth right at the bottom of the ramp for the station is the cheapest pub in fife. Its also 2min from the ground. I have that on good authority from fifers I work with :aok:

Sound, I'll give it a go.

Hermit Crab
06-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Sound, I'll give it a go.

It doesn't look like the most inviting boozer though:wink:

Pretty Boy
06-01-2012, 11:36 AM
It doesn't look like the most inviting boozer though:wink:

Aye a quick Google search doesn't look too promising.

Might look elsewhere!!

Hibernia Na Eir
06-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Can anyone recommend a child friendly pub near the ground?

plenty up high st, Edinburgh! far enough away from that s*** hole of a town.

cal-d hibs
06-01-2012, 02:10 PM
plenty up high st, Edinburgh! far enough away from that s*** hole of a town.

Is your child like hatred of everything need to be posted on here. Can you not go back to under the rock you recently crawled from under.

Pub info,

Wee Jimmies, great boozer but will be mobbed.
Cross Guns, where i will be going.
New Goth, cheap but 2 feet from train station, plenty laughs though.
DJ's, like a badly fitted 70's living room and no had a clean for a while, pool table. Dump.
Woodside, decent with pool table, easy walk to Central Park although a 5 min walk away from High street.
Silver Birch, too far for sane people and can resemble land of living dead.
Junction Bar, no been in since last Cowdenbeath cup game but looks ok from outside.
Dunvagen Bar, no pretty and locals seem keen to drink tins of tennants rather than draught in here.
Glen Tavarn, probably one of the biggest Hun boozers in Scotland.
Partners, has to be seen to be believed but its better to be seen about midnight on a Saturday!

You wont get a beer in the Crown unless its a pint of ash as it burnt doon ages back.
Looking forward to seeing Hibs back in the town where I now live. apart from Hibernia Na Eir who I hope stays back in Edina.

Fifer
06-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Don't know where you got your info. But the Crown Hotel burnt down years ago.

heretoday
06-01-2012, 02:42 PM
The Silver Birch sounds nice. I'm sure the kids'll love it.

cal-d hibs
06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
The Silver Birch sounds nice. I'm sure the kids'll love it.

I'm sure it can be popular with some of the local kids lol

Last time I was in I lasted 2 pints before leaving, folk sleeping at the tables and other shambolic states. It used to be ok, watched Hibs come back from 2-0 against Herts, new year game in which Andy Walker scored a good few years ago, nobody seemed to mind me jumping up and down when we pulled it back to 2-2.
wee Jimmies has a bar in the back which welcomes kids but no sure how they operate on bigger match days.

Pretty Boy
06-01-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm sure it can be popular with some of the local kids lol

Last time I was in I lasted 2 pints before leaving, folk sleeping at the tables and other shambolic states. It used to be ok, watched Hibs come back from 2-0 against Herts, new year game in which Andy Walker scored a good few years ago, nobody seemed to mind me jumping up and down when we pulled it back to 2-2.
wee Jimmies has a bar in the back which welcomes kids but no sure how they operate on bigger match days.

So given you'll be going.there I'm assuming the cross guns is you're recommendation?

I'm on the 1048 train so will be in town for a while and want somewhere I can plant myself for a few hours!!

Cletus
06-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Are there any decent country pub/inn type places within say 5 miles of Cowdenbeath? Looking for somewhere civilised where can food too!

Cheers

Fifer
06-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Are there any decent country pub/inn type places within say 5 miles of Cowdenbeath? Looking for somewhere civilised where can food too!

Cheers

Leisure park as you come of the motorway at Halbeath Junction.
Plenty places to eat there.

MSK
06-01-2012, 06:27 PM
So given you'll be going.there I'm assuming the cross guns is you're recommendation?

I'm on the 1048 train so will be in town for a while and want somewhere I can plant myself for a few hours!!Fire yourself intae Partners mate, will eventually fill up wi hibbies ..5 min walk tae the ground ...:aok:

cal-d hibs
06-01-2012, 11:39 PM

I'm on the 1048 train so will be in town for a while and want somewhere I can plant myself for a few hours!!

Getting in early you'll probably get into Wee Jimmies, it'll get busy but its the better choice. I'm a lazy bugger and wont saunter down the road til later and easier pint will be Old Cross Guns fore me.

IWasThere2016
06-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Listen to cal-d .. Goth or Wee Jimmies.

tamig
07-01-2012, 11:19 AM
I'd highly recommend the Coaledge Tavern in Crossgates which is Alex Smith ex Rangers and Aberdeen player's boozer. I've been there many a time and Alex is a fantastic host and the banter is top class.