PDA

View Full Version : It will be a different team in two weeks, I can guarantee that.

Jack
05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
… says Owen Heary, who played under Fenlon at Shelbourne and Bohemians.

Here’s something to give us a bit of hope. I do hope you're right Owen.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/fact-finding-over-meticulous-pat-fenlon-faces-up-to-a-few-unpleasant-truths-at-hibs.16363849

Cabbage East
05-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Great, more words.

Cropley10
05-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Aye a different team. But it will it be a better team?

Not judging by the 'targets' we're linked with.

Andy74
05-01-2012, 09:32 AM

You didn't used to post on every thread did you? Has Fenlon done something to you?

Kato
05-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Great, more words.

Great, more cynicism.

Cropley10
05-01-2012, 09:38 AM
You didn't used to post on every thread did you? Has Fenlon done something to you?

Right. Sorry didn't realise you were in charge of who posted where.

Kato
05-01-2012, 09:40 AM

How are you judging them?

Cropley10
05-01-2012, 09:47 AM
How are you judging them?

Over the past three or four years we have signed a bus load of players who we'd never heard of, who then went on to prove why we'd never heard of them, most of them have now disappeared.

I'm personally hope we sign a couple of players who we know can play at this level.

SMAXXA
05-01-2012, 09:50 AM

What a lot of bollox, so your intensive knowledge of these players and what they will bring to Hibs warrants that statement?

some folk just like to be negative I feel at times, what I seen as a positive article from someone that at least has had first hand experience on what PF has done / can do, yet thats ignored and all that follows is the usual negative sh*t we see time and time again. Its getting a bit of a joke IMO.

Despite some of the names we have been linked to, no one knows how we will fair if they are signed, be positive he is looking to change this mess then judge FFS,

Kato
05-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Over the past three or four years we have signed a bus load of players who we'd never heard of, who then went on to prove why we'd never heard of them, most of them have now disappeared.

I'm personally hope we sign a couple of players who we know can play at this level.

What we know is irrelevant. It's what the manager knows that is important. I'm not going to judge Fenlon's players on my level of acquantence with them but on what they do on the park.

steakbake
05-01-2012, 09:55 AM
We've also signed a few players in the last coupla years who we've heard of but weren't up to much. Liam Miller, Ivan's 2nd coming, De Graaf...

Some of the unknowns we've had have been great for us.

You can't rule one out over the other.

SMAXXA
05-01-2012, 09:55 AM

What like Sproule, Hogg, Jones, Sheils, Zemamma, Benji, Murphy, Maka (Use loosley) etc but you get my point. I agree there have been more dross than good over thee years but thats not to say all our future signings wil all be useless, under a manaher who lets hope knows a player better than the previous lot.

Whats your expectations? Proven quality, big names etc etc its just not gona happen we dont have the money and these players will have other options that ckubs can offer far far more appeal.

Not great but for the moment its what we are faced with IMO.

HibeeMassive
05-01-2012, 09:56 AM

Who would you like to see us signing?

Cropley10
05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
What a lot of bollox, so your intensive knowledge of these players and what they will bring to Hibs warrants that statement?

some folk just like to be negative I feel at times, what I seen as a positive article from someone that at least has had first hand experience on what PF has done / can do, yet thats ignored and all that follows is the usual negative sh*t we see time and time again. Its getting a bit of a joke IMO.

Despite some of the names we have been linked to, no one knows how we will fair if they are signed, be positive he is looking to change this mess then judge FFS,

It's Groundhog Day. Manager gets sacked, new man comes in, then we need time for him to make signings and more time for the magical 'gelling' to occurr (or not).

It's not Pats fault but he's going to have to do what we've not done in 3 years, rebuild this team.

Sorry but like many thousands of Hibs fans I'm disillusioned with the whole recruitment process of manager and player.

We were in this exact spot 12 months ago. What's changed exactly?

Cropley10
05-01-2012, 10:04 AM
That list you wrote is exactly what I'm saying. was the last in that list to be signed and that was August 2007 - 4.5 years ago.

We haven't learned anything, now it's Pats turn.

bighairyfaeleith
05-01-2012, 10:06 AM
I think Fenlon is the right man for the job and he has my full support to sort things out at ER, some of the negativity on this forum is staggering!!

bighairyfaeleith
05-01-2012, 10:07 AM
That list you wrote is exactly what I'm saying. was the last in that list to be signed and that was August 2007 - 4.5 years ago.

We haven't learned anything, now it's Pats turn.

you right it is his turn, so let him have it and gie us all peace:wink:

Cropley10
05-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Who would you like to see us signing?

Players who we know can play at this level, rather than randoms.

There's supposed to be a fire sale over the road, &/or loads of unhappy players.

Leithenhibby
05-01-2012, 10:14 AM

:agree: Spot on, it's turning into a bad habit for everyone to think "negative thoughts"...

Sit back and enjoy ride, we can only go up the table (bar one) and we need to put our faith in PF.

Stop pushing the panic button with every thread that is posted.... :rolleyes:

scoopyboy
05-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Great, more words.

What do you expect a man (who has nothing to do with Hibs) who is being interviewed about Pat Fenlon to do exactly?

I would have thought words were his only real option.

scoopyboy
05-01-2012, 10:19 AM

I'm hopeful his targets haven't been identifed yet in the public domain.

scoopyboy
05-01-2012, 10:22 AM

I'd never heard of Boozy, Benji or Zemmamma before they arrived but they showed they can play in the SPL (for a while at least).

On the other hand Michael Hart was signed as a player who had shown he could play at this level.

It's not an easy game is signings.

cocopops1875
05-01-2012, 10:22 AM

I'm personally hope we sign a couple of players who we know can play at this level. nish,hart,smith ?

cocopops1875
05-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Come on cropley10 you must have some reply to those 3 names or are you busy spreading your own brand of misery on every other thread at the moment ?

J-C
05-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Right. Sorry didn't realise you were in charge of who posted where. People have been harping on about how crap this team is, so when it looks like we're bringing in fresh faces, you have a wee slut dig again. Why don't you wait, see who comes in and if they still don't produce, then have your digs.

Hibs Class
05-01-2012, 11:53 AM
People have been harping on about how crap this team is, so when it looks like we're bringing in fresh faces, you have a wee slut dig again. Why don't you wait, see who comes in and if they still don't produce, then have your digs.

I'd always assumed Cropley was a gentleman - do you know something I don't? :greengrin

cocopops1875
05-01-2012, 11:57 AM
I'd always assumed Cropley was a gentleman - do you know something I don't? :greengrin

It does seem a wee bit personal lol

Northernhibee
05-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Great, more words.

I can't believe it's taken this little time for our new manager to get posts like this.

We are absolutely beyond belief as a "support".

Lago
05-01-2012, 12:11 PM
I can't believe it's taken this little time for our new manager to get posts like this.

Frankly I'm supprised it took this long. Your right there are many who claim to be supporters who are a disgrace, they revell in negativity.

Green_one
05-01-2012, 12:19 PM
We certainly need new faces and they need to be improvements on what we have. The current squad will just not cut it and many have additionally lost confidence. No more ex Hibees please.

A steady central defender , a right back and some craft in midfield are minimums. Petrie and co need to back him 100%, as do we all.

I really believe he might pull something off but we are well behind the curve at present. Should we be able to be better than Dunfermline and avoid relegation? - absolutely!! Can we overtake the likes of ICT - again yes. Can we start to play in a way that is not bleeding our fan base - much harder, as I doubt he can get the players he needs in January.

So step one just has to be get a bit better and move away from the relegation zone. He can achieve that.

BEEJ
05-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Is it directed at PF, though?

The article referred to in the OP has no direct quotes from PF. I read that post as more of a jaundiced reaction to the club in general and where we are.

Cropley10
05-01-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm hopeful his targets haven't been identifed yet in the public domain.

Me too:agree:

I'd never heard of Boozy, Benji or Zemmamma before they arrived but they showed they can play in the SPL (for a while at least).

On the other hand Michael Hart was signed as a player who had shown he could play at this level.

It's not an easy game is signings.

It isn't an easy game. I still can't believe had anyone seen Hart playing for Preston in April (before we'd signed him) he'd have looked worth signing.

nish,hart,smith ?

Nish, was signed from Killie - good shout. Hart was from Preston and Smith was out of favour at Brighton IIRC. Smith's an odd one - I thought he was OK before - but he had some right horror shows in the green and white.

People have been harping on about how crap this team is, so when it looks like we're bringing in fresh faces, you have a wee slut dig again. Why don't you wait, see who comes in and if they still don't produce, then have your digs.

I've not had a dig at anyone, per se. I live in hope that we recognise that we're in the position because of our previous signing/recruitment policy, not despite it.

The article referred to in the OP has no direct quotes from PF. I read that post as more of a jaundiced reaction to the club in general and where we are.

Yes, this. i hope Pat can 'buck the trend' and I'm renewing three ST's for a season in the SPL next July...

--------
05-01-2012, 12:58 PM

To be frank, I find that article fairly encouraging. The guy quoted knows Fenlon and suggests strongly that he's the sort of man who'll take a hard look at things before deciding what he has to do. bad enough the fans adopting the knee-jerk approach without the team boss doing the same.

Provided Farmer and Petrie back him, I think Pat Fenlon is well capable of turning things around, but he won't do it without backing.

"The sense is of a manager who would like to be radical, but has to work within the financial constraints of Easter Road. Fenlon has been linked with James McPake, the former Livingston defender, among other targets, and it is certain that some new faces will arrive shortly. Fenlon's appeal was generated by the trophies he accumulated in Ireland – five league titles and three cups – but his worth to Hibs is as a manager who refuses to accept lowered standards. Last season, Bohemians were financially crippled and three days before the league started Fenlon had only three registered players, but he still guided the team to a comfortable sixth-place finish."

The bits in bold seem to me to be crucial. The fact that coming from the League of Ireland means that PF has to accept greater financial restraints than he worked under two seasons ago at Bohemians tells us all we need to know about the SPL (and Hibs). A huge amount hangs on the character and quality of the players he brings in this month - not just whether the team improves, but probably whether Hibs are an SPL outfit next season. Pat sounds like a manager who knows how to get the best out of the players he has at his disposal. That's good, but it still begs the question of whether the quality's there for him to extract.

But I'm not surprised that Cabbage East's post comes over as jaundiced - 5 managers and an untold number of players in and out of the club since 2006; the team steadily deteriorating, the support dwindling, the atmosphere at games poisonous, the much-vaunted finacial position eroding ...

I don't consider the root of the problem to lie at the level of the manager and his staff. It's higher up the club, and unless Farmer and Petrie sort it out at that level - and I suggest that means taking a long, hard, appraising look at their own attitudes and performance over the past 6 years - there'll be no betterment at ER for a long, long time.

No matter how hard Pat Fenlon works in the next few months.

seven nowt
05-01-2012, 01:08 PM

I agree.

We've let players like Scott Brown, Merouane Zemamma, Scott Brown, Steven Whittaker, David Murphy, Dean Shiels, Rob Jones, Kris Killen,(who wasn't great but could give you goals when you need them)

And who did we get? Free transfers. Stokes was good - as was Bamba, Miller was alright. We were on to something with Vaz Te but Calderwood couldn't even see potential in him!!

Hibs have not been good enough in the Transfer window for a good while now, which is evident looking at our embarassing league position. That tight fisted S**t* Petrie has to give Fenlon some cash to spend. Spend a million on some players that can get the supporters of their seats. If not, we're Donald Ducked!

Aldo
05-01-2012, 01:13 PM
I agree.

We've let players like Scott Brown, Merouane Zemamma, Scott Brown, Steven Whittaker, David Murphy, Dean Shiels, Rob Jones, Kris Killen,(who wasn't great but could give you goals when you need them)

And who did we get? Free transfers. Stokes was good - as was Bamba, Miller was alright. We were on to something with Vaz Te but Calderwood couldn't even see potential in him!!

Hibs have not been good enough in the Transfer window for a good while now, which is evident looking at our embarassing league position. That tight fisted S**t* Petrie has to give Fenlon some cash to spend. Spend a million on some players that can get the supporters of their seats. If not, we're Donald Ducked!

Agree with most of that but totally and utter disagree with you regarding Killen.

Thought this guy was excellent for us and if it hadn't been for injury would of s ores 20+ goals in his final season. Scored with head, left foot right foot and could hold up play. Excellent signing by TM. He was also pretty mobile. Cracking goal at I Roxbury and one at Utd when he ran the channel.

Aldo
05-01-2012, 01:14 PM
That should be Ibrox. Bloody phone

HibsNutter
05-01-2012, 01:18 PM
This looks good, now let's give PF the chance to build his own team and for this new team to gel before we judge him.

seven nowt
05-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Agree with most of that but totally and utter disagree with you regarding Killen.

Thought this guy was excellent for us and if it hadn't been for injury would of s ores 20+ goals in his final season. Scored with head, left foot right foot and could hold up play. Excellent signing by TM. He was also pretty mobile. Cracking goal at I Roxbury and one at Utd when he ran the channel.

He was on my list of players that Hibs haven't signed the likes of since their departures, so I wasn't calling him a bad player, just not as good as the other players listed.

Captain Trips
05-01-2012, 01:21 PM
I agree.

We could never replace like for like some of those players, Brown,Thompson and Fletcher to name 3.

John Collins has IMO had the hardest job of all our recent managers he had to replace some of our best players directly a job he was never going to do on the budget allowed, JC bought some bad ones and was left some but since then on in theory it should have been easier for Mixu to replace players as he was left lesser quality that went for Hughes and CC. How Hibs have managed to **** things up to this level is rather shocking.

cad
05-01-2012, 01:29 PM
The write up Owen Heary has given as an ex employee of Pats ticks all the boxes , fitness, no farting about, no good enough gone,
in fact everything a Hibee wants to hear , maybe the guys after a job .

Having said that all our ex managers said they were great trainers good pros didnt show on the games I went to , then BB tells you there are some of the worst Pros hes ever worked with at ER at the minute , well somebodys telling porkies .

The question was asked of Cropley10 who would you bring to Hibs , there is 4 or 5 players I would take from Hearts ,a painter 2 fullbacks and Webster for starters.

I only want to see Hibs win between now and the end of the season , entertainment can come next season.

:flag: GGTTH :flag:

--------
05-01-2012, 01:32 PM
I agree.

We were never going to be able to replace like with like in the cases you list. (Not that I'm totally in agreement with your list, tbh.)

However, your main point is right - we could have tried harder to get better players in than we did - after all, Zouma, Murph, Deano, Jones and Sicknote didn't exactly break the bank when they came in - 2 frees and the other three hardly million-pound buys. You could have added guys like Bamba, Miller and Stokes to your list - they haven't been adequately replaced either. And Vaz Te found Barnsley more inspiring than Hibernian - nuff said.

Two things about the bit in bold - Petrie does what farmer wants him to do. So it's not just Petrie who needs to waken up - Farmer needs to take a hard look at himself as well.

And it doesn't appear to me that Petrie has any trouble getting the fans off their seats - his problem is getting them back in the stadium once they've stood up and walked out...

I share your frustration and disillusion. :agree:

justlikebrazil
05-01-2012, 01:37 PM

100% agree!

Aldo
05-01-2012, 01:39 PM
He was on my list of players that Hibs haven't signed the likes of since their departures, so I wasn't calling him a bad player, just not as good as the other players listed.

Not as technically gifted but good st what he did. :-)

IWasThere2016
05-01-2012, 01:56 PM

Thought this guy was excellent for us and if it hadn't been for injury would of s ores 20+ goals in his final season. Scored with head, left foot right foot and could hold up play. Excellent signing by TM. He was also pretty mobile. Cracking goal at Ibrox and one at Utd when he ran the channel.

Killen was class :agree:

BEEJ
05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
To be frank, I find that article fairly encouraging. The guy quoted knows Fenlon and suggests strongly that he's the sort of man who'll take a hard look at things before deciding what he has to do.

Provided Farmer and Petrie back him, I think Pat Fenlon is well capable of turning things around, but he won't do it without backing.
:agree:

A huge amount hangs on the character and quality of the players he brings in this month - not just whether the team improves, but probably whether Hibs are an SPL outfit next season. Pat sounds like a manager who knows how to get the best out of the players he has at his disposal. That's good, but it still begs the question of whether the quality's there for him to extract.

But I'm not surprised that Cabbage East's post comes over as jaundiced - 5 managers and an untold number of players in and out of the club since 2006; the team steadily deteriorating, the support dwindling, the atmosphere at games poisonous, the much-vaunted finacial position eroding ...
Neither am I. Despondency is rife - and with good reason.

Still, it's very easy to post endlessly negative responses, even on threads that offer the potential for some hope and light at the end of the tunnel (no 'trains' jokes, please). I've done so myself in the past. I'm trying harder to step away from the keyboard in such circumstances. :greengrin

I don't consider the root of the problem to lie at the level of the manager and his staff.
:agree: We agree on this point too.

Andy74
05-01-2012, 03:15 PM
I agree.

You do realise most of your first list were free or from our own youth system?

Andy74
05-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Killen was class :agree:

Yep, and he was free, injury prone, a journeyman and with a patchy scoring record.

This place went mental when we were linked with him.

AlbertK86
05-01-2012, 07:45 PM

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/fact-finding-over-meticulous-pat-fenlon-faces-up-to-a-few-unpleasant-truths-at-hibs.16363849

Was thinking this was a credible piece until the journo mentioned Nish inferring he was a big miss !!

Joking apart hope the Irish boy quoted is right.

Happy to give PF the time to get it right but ROD and STF need to back him big time

J-C
05-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Bloody predictive text on i phone haha meant to say sly dig lol

Jack
05-01-2012, 08:00 PM

Ha ha ha! who have you been calling a slag? :-D

Should have got a Galaxy S II :-P

Soldiersteve
05-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I don't get all this negativity over signing targets at all.
Do any of us actually KNOW who PF is targeting? Lets give the guy some breathing space here to make his signings / improve the team and get our club away from the relegation zone.
The future is green!

Mikey
05-01-2012, 09:15 PM
That's a good read, which is more than can be said for many of the replies on this thread.

Can't we all give the guy a chance? He's only just in the door.

:pfgwa

Cropley10
05-01-2012, 10:56 PM

Made me laugh too. Your comment and the reply.

We all want the very best for our Club. We should be able to express our opinions but also keep each other in check on here.

Franck Stanton
05-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Thought the article was a good read and an insight into the esteem our new manager is held in by someone who knows him, think given time Fenlon will make us a force in Scottish football once more, just wish we could sign some players NOW rather than as usual towards the end of the trasnsfer window. Now I realise that other Clubs/players will be waiting to see exactly whats on offer before opting for best deals but, doesn't do my nerves any good.

J-C
06-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Made me laugh too. Your comment and the reply.

We all want the very best for our Club. We should be able to express our opinions but also keep each other in check on here.

This was the sly dig I was getting at, surely you must give this guy a chance to get in players and then see how well they play, then if they and him are the same garbage, have your digs then. :confused:

Oh and your comments never made me laugh once.

richard_pitts
06-01-2012, 10:38 AM
The write up Owen Heary has given as an ex employee of Pats ticks all the boxes , fitness, no farting about, no good enough gone,
in fact everything a Hibee wants to hear , maybe the guys after a job .

... BB tells you there are some of the worst Pros hes ever worked with at ER at the minute...

Quite. I have long suspected that there is a lazy / drinking culture at Hibs and I think Fenlon is the man to crack that. For example I cannot believe fitness is the issue it obviously is given the training facilities we have.

The Falcon
06-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Killen would have been even better if he'd managed to stay fit, but I rated him. But lets not forget while we had Killen we also signed Konte and Paul Dalglish. The way we treated Hogg was embarassing and while Jones was a success Humphrey Rudge and Omar Konde were not great.

Cropley10
06-01-2012, 11:43 AM

This was the sly dig I was getting at, surely you must give this guy a chance to get in players and then see how well they play, then if they and him are the same garbage, have your digs then. :confused:

Oh and your comments never made me laugh once.

WTF! I know what the comment was. Sorry you had a sense of humor failure.

There was no sly dig, certainly not at PF. I was exasperated at once again a manager having to target players who are likely to be more of the same.

I've spent the last four years doing exactly what you say - giving managers a chance to get (cr@p) players in, seeing how poor they are and watching utter garbage football. My point was - as others have said - we keep changing the manager and we keep changing the players and we keep slipping down the table.

I'm not holding my breath that Pat will be able to do much better in the transfer market. I hope he can and I hope I'm wrong.

Last Minute
06-01-2012, 12:11 PM

It will be a different team in two weeks, I can guarantee that

Aye a team that will be bottom unless they get their backsides moving.

Sergeant Hibs
06-01-2012, 02:57 PM
I am of the belief that Fenlon is the right man for the job and I'm sick of the fans that think a new man ciuld fix everything we will hopefully have at least 5 more new faces by February and then you could judge Fenlon our task for the rest of the season is to stay in the SPL then next season we can hopefully crack on and hopefully reach the level we were at under Mogga. I'm not saying it'll happen next season or the one after that I'm saying we need stability and with Fenlon in charge we'll be OK.
:pfgwa

GGTTH