PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Hibs transfer rumours

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Peevemor
30-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Their website says:
Aberdeen FC can confirm that agreement has been reached with Jonny Hayes on a two year deal that will commence at the end of his present contract with Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC.

Chief Executive Duncan Fraser stated "We met with Jonny's agent Des Byrne prior to the last game of the season and both Jonny and his agent felt that this was the right move for him. Negotiations were carried out in an extremely professional way and I am pleased to say he has chosen Aberdeen ahead of a number of potential clubs. Jonny was a key target for Craig and we are delighted with the outcome".

Jonny will sign the deal after undergoing a medical on his return from holiday.

Where's the lie?

Hayes says his agent has talked to Aberdeen but he has yet to decide what he's doing - Aberdeen are presenting it as a done deal.

Elephant Stone
30-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Hayes says his agent has talked to Aberdeen but he has yet to decide what he's doing - Aberdeen are presenting it as a done deal.

Aberdeen say they've agreed a deal with his agent, I really don't think that any reluctance to confirm that he's leaving Inverness when speaking to a newspaper from Inverness can show Aberdeen to be lying.

Beefster
30-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Aberdeen say they've agreed a deal with his agent, I really don't think that any reluctance to confirm that he's leaving Inverness when speaking to a newspaper from Inverness can show Aberdeen to be lying.

Hayes said on Twitter that he hasn't made any decisions. Aberdeen have jumped the gun.

Elephant Stone
30-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Hayes said on Twitter that he hasn't made any decisions. Aberdeen have jumped the gun.

I know who I believe.

At The Edge
30-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Waiting for the Paw Broon statement telling us that he called Terry Butcher for a chat about Hayes as thats the proper thing to do..........:wink:

RickyS
30-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Waiting for the Paw Broon statement telling us that he called Terry Butcher for a chat about Hayes as thats the proper thing to do..........:wink:

spot on mate, can just hear him now " we conduct ourselves properly here" "wid never go behind anyones back!" blah blah blah:greengrin

Hibs7
30-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Vigours re-signs for ICT

Kaiser1962
30-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Vigours re-signs for ICT

Is that Ian Vigurs? Thought he was with Ross County? Is he back at Caley?

Edit. Just been told he's staying at County.

sundo1875
30-05-2012, 06:09 PM
signed a one year contract at county

Hibs7
30-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Oops meant county.

Vault Boy
30-05-2012, 08:49 PM
I've seen Benji's name pop up a couple of times on Facebook and the like. Rumored to be in talks, but probably just babble. :dunno:

Sorry if aforementioned. :aok:

Bighoose
30-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Just on twitter...

Keith Downie ‏@STVkeith
Hearts have joined the race to sign Coventry's James McPake - despite the defender spending the second half of last season at Hibs.

brianmc
30-05-2012, 08:51 PM
I've seen Benji's name pop up a couple of times on Facebook and the like. Rumored to be in talks, but probably just babble. :dunno:

Sorry if aforementioned. :aok:

talks wi who? Real Madrid??

Vault Boy
30-05-2012, 08:54 PM
talks wi who? Real Madrid??

Aha, Hibs, if I wasn't clear :aok:
Again, no real source, just a rumor I've seen floating around pal.

At The Edge
30-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Just on twitter...

Keith Downie ‏@STVkeith
Hearts have joined the race to sign Coventry's James McPake - despite the defender spending the second half of last season at Hibs.

That'll pee the jambos off that have told me for the last 6 months that McPake is utter gash and wouldn't get near their bench never mind the starting 11.
:trumpet: the lot of them.

i'm sure securing carrier bag would be more a priority for them?

DC_Hibs
30-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Aha, Hibs, if I wasn't clear :aok:
Again, no real source, just a rumor I've seen floating around pal.

No need to explain pal, nobody in their right mind will take that one seriously.

Heisenberg
30-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Just on twitter...

Keith Downie ‏@STVkeith

C'mon Petrie, get a deal done! :I'm waiti

SouthMoroccoStu
30-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Just on twitter...

Keith Downie ‏@STVkeith

I will genuinely hit the beeping roof if they are 'allowed' to sign him through RP mismanagement

Come on Hibs, get it done. In Rod we trust........

Gerard
30-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I will genuinely hit the beeping roof if they are 'allowed' to sign him through RP mismanagement

:thumbsup:

muirhousehibby
30-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Michael o'connor tonight signed for rotherham on a free contract. Offered more cash and was close by to were he stayed too. Irish contact texted me a couple of hrs ago witht the news.

Beefster
31-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Michael o'connor tonight signed for rotherham on a free contract. Offered more cash and was close by to were he stayed too. Irish contact texted me a couple of hrs ago witht the news.

He probably got it off the BBC. They reported it at tea-time.

31-05-2012, 06:12 AM

Yes, would be embarrassing.

As for the Benji rumour, doubt this is true but if it then then all I can say is please God no :bitchy:!

Kaiser1962
31-05-2012, 06:24 AM

How is it RP mismanagement if we dont sign him? We all know Hearts pay well above what we, or they, can afford. If hearts are looking to sign him then he will take the money they offer over ours, as three of their starting 11 in the cup final did. There is no loyalty in football other than from us, the fans.

3pm
31-05-2012, 06:41 AM
If he signs for them, he signs for them.

Craig_in_Prague
31-05-2012, 07:01 AM
c'mon folks....It's all about the Balance Sheet.

Let's see what cheapo deals are available end of August.

Kaiser1962
31-05-2012, 07:12 AM

Its much simpler than that, its about who pays the bills. Vlad's companies have written off over £16m of their extravagance in the last two seasons alone. Thats more than we, or they, brought in. Thats why he will sign for them if they make an offer.

Whether thats right or not is currently, given Rangers situation, open to debate but nonetheless thats the reality.

marinello59
31-05-2012, 07:12 AM

I hope you are wrong. This time we need to have the majority of the squad in place before our first pre-season kick about.

BarneyK
31-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Its much simpler than that, its about who pays the bills. Vlad's companies have written off over £16m of their extravagance in the last two seasons alone. Thats more than we, or they, brought in. Thats why he will sign for them if they make an offer.

Whether thats right or not is currently, given Rangers situation, open to debate but nonetheless thats the reality.

The yams are pobably still paying more than us, but it won't be by much. They are a hopeless business model and it would seem that even Vlad has woken up to the fact that they need to start living within their means from now on. Aye they have a (slightly) larger average gate, but they also have horrendous debts to service. It's gonna be interesting to see how they line up next season. Hopefully without McPake.

matty_f
31-05-2012, 07:31 AM
How is it RP mismanagement if we dont sign him? We all know Hearts pay well above what we, or they, can afford. If hearts are looking to sign him then he will take the money they offer over ours, as three of their starting 11 in the cup final did. There is no loyalty in football other than from us, the fans.

Sad but true. I would hope that this is an opportunity for the board to show us that they are serious about sorting the team out. McPake is a key signing - he's popular with the fans and has proven his worth at this level.

Seeing him sign across the city would be yet another nail in the board's coffin, regardless of the statements about finances.

Kato
31-05-2012, 07:42 AM
If they want him they will have to pay. They also will have to pay more than the 100 grand we'd get him for as that is a special fee included in his loan contract. Can't see them shelling out 2-3 hundred grand.

Jim44
31-05-2012, 08:10 AM
There's a long thread overby on their possible signing of McPake. As you would expect, 99% of the posters tear him to shreds and say they don't want him but their protests are so loud and the detail so deep that it is clear that they are wetting themselves at the circumstances of taking him from under our noses. Petrie is driven by money and business but surely even he can see the benefit of nailing down McPake right now from both the playing point of view and the sorely needed morale boost it would give the fans after the nightmare of last seson.

basehibby
31-05-2012, 08:33 AM
There's a long thread overby on their possible signing of McPake. As you would expect, 99% of the posters tear him to shreds and say they don't want him but their protests are so loud and the detail so deep that it is clear that they are wetting themselves at the circumstances of taking him from under our noses. Petrie is driven by money and business but surely even he can see the benefit of nailing down McPake right now from both the playing point of view and the sorely needed morale boost it would give the fans after the nightmare of last seson.

It would be an enormous kick in the baws for us if after getting horsed in the final off of THEM our board was then to lay down meekly and allow the Yams to swipe McPake from under our noses. I for one would be ****in furious :grr::fuming::grr:

Andy74
31-05-2012, 08:41 AM
It would be an enormous kick in the baws for us if after getting horsed in the final off of THEM our board was then to lay down meekly and allow the Yams to swipe McPake from under our noses. I for one would be ****in furious :grr::fuming::grr:

So at what point should we allow what we can afford to pay to be dicated by some other team who don't care about debt.

You can't, you stick to your upper level and if that turns out not be enough then tough, that's the reality of the situation and the Board would be failing in their duties if they did not see it this way.

We lost the final but let's not lose our grasp on reality eh?

Stevie Reid
31-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Just on twitter...

Keith Downie ‏@STVkeith

Someone else on his feed said that it was dependant on Zaliukus going to Sheffield United and Downie said that this was correct - hopefully the fact that they didn't get promoted and have to cut their wage budget will scupper that.

Thomson
31-05-2012, 08:46 AM
The 100k for mcpake was only for us right? Which means "they" would have to pay more for him right? Anyone know what the asking price is outwith ourselves?

Stevie Reid
31-05-2012, 08:58 AM
One thing that may work in our favour is that if what we have heard on here is true, i.e. he is looking for a 3 year deal and stability for his family, then he may not fancy signing for a club who hasn't paid it's wages on time on a regular basis - and who lost a player last year (Stevenson) who was looking for stability for him and his pregnant wife. I could just be clutching at straws, of course.

It's also interesting that Paolo Sergio is quoted in this morning's Metro as saying that he wants to know what kind of budget he will have for next season before committing himself to a new contract - so he obviously cannot be involved in any pursuit of McPake.

GordonHFC
31-05-2012, 09:03 AM
So at what point should we allow what we can afford to pay to be dicated by some other team who don't care about debt.

You can't, you stick to your upper level and if that turns out not be enough then tough, that's the reality of the situation and the Board would be failing in their duties if they did not see it this way.

Andy. Appreciate all of the above but the reality is we can only afford peanuts and we all know what that buys. I was advised this morning that the upper limit is £1500 p/w but I would assume that there will be win and play bonuses above that.

We will still be scraping around bringing in players at the end of the transfer window who no one else wants. We will get angry when they do not perform to the standard we would like and the board will come out and say its the managers team and he has brought in the new players. The reality will be that he has not brought in the players he wanted due to financial constraints and has had to seettle for second or third choice players. I cannot see us improving on this strategy and we can only flirt with relegation so many times before we drop and to be honest I would not fancy our chances of coming straight back up.

We could end up losing a lot more if we do not spend sufficient amounts to stay clear of the relegation zone and aim for some european dosh.

Jim44
31-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Yes, I think you are clutching at straws. Let's not kid ourselves yet again that the Jambo's 'fitness for purpose' chestnut will inhibit their progress in footballing terms and prevent them from signing players. The new rules announced yesterday about non-payment of players will put an end to their 'calculated risks' in this area. Whether we like their style or not, they function more than adequately.

scoopyboy
31-05-2012, 09:20 AM

The most factually correct post I've read on here for a long time (well apart from mine of course!!!).

My sentiments as well. If he chooses them over us then that is his call and there is nothing we can do about it. There is limits how far you can go and although I want him signed as our captain I think we should make him a good offer and if it doesn't work we move on.

StevieC
31-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Seeing him sign across the city would be yet another nail in the board's coffin, regardless of the statements about finances.

So what better way for an agent to get the best deal possible than leak a story to the papers about the nearest rivals being interested in signing him. :wink:

matty_f
31-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Andy. Appreciate all of the above but the reality is we can only afford peanuts and we all know what that buys. I was advised this morning that the upper limit is £1500 p/w but I would assume that there will be win and play bonuses above that.

We will still be scraping around bringing in players at the end of the transfer window who no one else wants. We will get angry when they do not perform to the standard we would like and the board will come out and say its the managers team and he has brought in the new players. The reality will be that he has not brought in the players he wanted due to financial constraints and has had to seettle for second or third choice players. I cannot see us improving on this strategy and we can only flirt with relegation so many times before we drop and to be honest I would not fancy our chances of coming straight back up.

We could end up losing a lot more if we do not spend sufficient amounts to stay clear of the relegation zone and aim for some european dosh.

This is my worry as well, though I can't say I'm privy to any info on salary limits etc.

The problem the Board and Fenlon have is that they want a top 4 finish but won't/can't give the spending power required to bring in players good enough to compete there. We're using a big budget but spreading it too thinly.

IMHO, the board have a duty to re-consider the long term policy and take a short term hit with the view that we'll need to spend less in coming seasons if we get it right now, than we will if we carry on with this horrendous revolving door policy where we replace poor players with equally poor players each transfer window in the hope that something will stick.

There are loads of things that the board should be considering (if they haven't already), off the top of my head they could:

Borrow the money either from the bank or STF if he's willing
Seek finance through tie-ins with businesses - local, national, and international companies are out there and with the right pitch and idea behind it they can and will attract funding.
Put out a share issue - I'm not an expert in this, but I'd think that folk would buy into it.
Discounted block tickets - Say 5 game package but bought up front with a discount for buying in advance. Not as good as a season ticket but would get money in immediately and also get folk through the gates.
Organise a friendly against a decent opponent with the entire gate (after expenses) going to Fenlon's budget and set out that this is what the event is for in advance so that there's an incentive for folk to go.
Release an item or range of items for purchase in the store where all proceeds go to Fenlon.

Some of these may be totally unworkable, but that's knocked up in five minutes. I'd hope that the Board would have the accumen to be able to come up with realistic and workable options to raise funds.

Andy74
31-05-2012, 09:38 AM

Well, we can afford what we can afford, that's reality.

There's no limit by the way by player, the manager can use the overall budget how he chooses. I know that from the board, agents, players.

I think our problem has been not in the way we go about signing players or the money we play, the manager's just haven't done well enough finding the right players or the right characters.

It has to ve recalled that we have had the likes of Jones, Bamba, Murphy, Stokes, Miller, Riordan, O'Connor, Zemmama, Benji, Shiels, Boozy and so on signed within our budget and not really paying fees. There's no reason we can't do that again and I've faith in Fenlon to know what he's after and get the right players in.

I'm not going to panic all summer though, particularly during the holidays!

Fenlon will also be patient - his last season in Ireland he had no squad at all up until about a week before the season and waited for the right players he wanted to be available. He had no budget and got that team playing and comfortably mid table on about £250,000 total wages for the squad for the whole year.

down-the-slope
31-05-2012, 09:56 AM

There's no limit by the way by player, the manager can use the overall budget how he chooses. I know that from the board, agents, players.

I think our problem has been not in the way we go about signing players or the money we play, the manager's just haven't done well enough finding the right players or the right characters.

It has to ve recalled that we have had the likes of Jones, Bamba, Murphy, Stokes, Miller, Riordan, O'Connor, Zemmama, Benji, Shiels, Boozy and so on signed within our budget and not really paying fees. There's no reason we can't do that again and I've faith in Fenlon to know what he's after and get the right players in.

Fenlon will also be patient - his last season in Ireland he had no squad at all up until about a week before the season and waited for the right players he wanted to be available. He had no budget and got that team playing and comfortably mid table on about £250,000 total wages for the squad for the whole year.

:grr: you can't go quoting facts like that on .net when it doesnt support the arguments of board bashers :rules:

:greengrin
I agree its about the manager using the budget he has (advantage being there is less baggage in terms of attitudes / cimmitted budget than for a long number of years) well and then poving he has the ability to make a team that is 'greater than the sum of the parts'

We have had years when we could say we had good players...but poor teams....

Look at ICT / St Jonstone / Motherwell as examples of creating teams that exceed the individuals....if PF can do that we will do well due to resources we have...if he cant we will be back to square one looking for another manager

Hibs7
31-05-2012, 09:57 AM

So basically if PF wanted he could have someone on £5k a week as long as his overall budget stayed within the set limits. That makes sense, so it should be quality over quantity. Supported by very good young players in case of injuries. I like that way of thinking.

Andy74
31-05-2012, 10:06 AM
So basically if PF wanted he could have someone on £5k a week as long as his overall budget stayed within the set limits. That makes sense, so it should be quality over quantity. Supported by very good young players in case of injuries. I like that way of thinking.

It's the way it's been though and hasn't been used properly yet!

I suppose though we have had the likes of Riordan and O'Connor who will have been on decent money, balanced by others in the squad like Stevenson, Wotherspoon etc who will probably still be on minimal pay.

CC talked a lot about quality over quantity but didn't deliver it. I hope Fenlon does.

I'm with you, I'd have 3 or 4 players on very good money in key positions along wth some good kids and some good signings from lower divisions.

Jones28
31-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Right, so (I'm going to use a ridiculous example here), our budget is like FIFA 12?

Ie, you have a slider which you can move about to change the ratio of wages:transfer fee's?

FIFA folk ken whits goin on :greengrin

BTW if Mcpake does sign for Hearts (which I seriously doubt will happen anyway) who would be your next best signing? Pascali from Killie?

That Heiridersan (sp) from Portsmouth? He was on loan at Coventry this season. Fantasy signing I know....

HibeeMG
31-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Well, Aberdeen made a mess of it. That's the good thing about Hibs, they don't say anything unless there's something definite to say.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/aberdeen/104125-aberdeen-boss-admits-club-jumped-the-gun-in-announcing-hayes-signing/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

RickyS
31-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Right, so (I'm going to use a ridiculous example here), our budget is like FIFA 12?

Ie, you have a slider which you can move about to change the ratio of wages:transfer fee's?

FIFA folk ken whits goin on :greengrin

BTW if Mcpake does sign for Hearts (which I seriously doubt will happen anyway) who would be your next best signing? Pascali from Killie?

That Heiridersan (sp) from Portsmouth? He was on loan at Coventry this season. Fantasy signing I know....

just signed a 3yr deal with killie

The Voice Of Reason
31-05-2012, 10:41 AM

Good point likes........10/10 for observation!

:greengrin

Hibs7
31-05-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm with you, I'd have 3 or 4 players on very good money in key positions along wth some good kids and some good signings from lower divisions.

Let's hope PF sees if that way, core of the team on very good money, the rest as you say, it does pay dividends, take McPake and Hanlon as an example.
It can be done within a decent wage structure.

Stevie Reid
31-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Football is a great game, but a ridiculous business. Look at Brendan Rodgers, just going to Liverpool having done so well at Swansea - ten years ago Swansea were one game away from being relegated into the conference, but having got their act together (including building a new stadium) they have had a meteoric rise to their 12th place finish in the EPL last year. Conversely, Liverpool spent £100M on players last summer, yet finished 8th - and Robbie Fowler is now saying the following: -

"The new manager will need to bring in new players again to take Liverpool from a top-eight club to a top-four club. That's going to be really difficult. It's a massive challenge."

Whilst John Barnes said: -

"I always say that when you have a philosophy on football, you need the players who can instil that. Are they the type of players who can play the way Rodgers wants them to? They will have to have some adjustment."We have to give the situation time to develop. You have to come to a point where you can't keep changing managers year in, year out. It's been 20 years since we have won league.
"We've been chopping and changing. We need to do what is in the best interests of the club, even if that means we don't qualify for the Champions League in the next three years."

Swansea have a limited budget that they have stuck rigidly to, but have continually got the right managers in over the last few years (Martinez, Sousa and Rodgers) - conversely Liverpool have a huge budget and spent ridiculous amounts of money, yet we have two former players saying that it's a massive challenge to get back into the top four, and that they may to go several years without CL football in order to progress. Whilst it is indeed tough at the top of the EPL, it is utterly ridiculous for Liverpool to be potentially written off as serious contenders for 4th place in the EPL for a number of years, given the amount of money that they have spent on players in recent years.

Now obviously the EPL is a world away from the SPL, but it's all relative, and the rise of teams like Swansea and Norwich (who were never in relegation trouble, as opposed to big spending QPR, who escaped going down on the last day) are proof that getting the right manager(s) in is crucial to the direction and philosophy of a football club - at the top end Man City have shown that spending crazy money only works when you have the right man in place. Liverpool have proven that throwing money around guarantees nothing without the right man in charge (and they're far from the only ones).

In the SPL, Hearts have been quite similar to Liverpool (relatively, in recent years) in that they've enjoyed some cup success but their league form has been disappointing, finishing nowhere near the big guns, bar one season (you can even stretch the analogy to bringing back legendary managers who were previously successful, and it not working out). St. Johnstone are more like your Swansea, who took several years to get to where they want to be (several years spent in the first division), but beginning with Coyle, through McInnes, and now (it seems) with Lomas, have continually got their managerial appointments correct, and flourished within a strict budget.

We are somewhere between the two - nowhere near the crazy budget of Hearts, but certainly have more spending power than St. Johnstone. We have suffered from making the wrong managerial choices too many times in succession, and the constant cycle of acquiring new managers and signing new players, whilst paying out to rid ourselves of the old ones, has seen us arrive where we are. We all acknowledged that after Calderwood we needed to pick a manager who was going to instill all the qualities that we have been lacking for the last few years, and hopefully build us up (gradually, if necessary) over the next few years - hopefully Fenlon is that man, though significant improvements will need to be seen next season. I like him, he seems like the kind of character that we need going forward, and I very much hope that he is.

Even a giant like Liverpool now look as though they are trying to do this, hiring a manager who they hope will gradually lead them to greater success and restore them to where they believe that they should be - and they may well be looking at the model of a much smaller club as a template for their own success. We need quality players in, of that there is no doubt - but working the market properly is far more likely to lead to success than just spending lots of money. We can learn far more from the Swanseas and St. Johnstones of this world than we can the likes of Liverpool and Hearts.

Whether we have the management team and scouting network to deliver is another matter - but fingers crossed we can start progressing from here on in. It can be, and has been, done.

Andy74
31-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Football is a great game, but a ridiculous business. Look at Brendan Rodgers, just going to Liverpool having done so well at Swansea - ten years ago Swansea were one game away from being relegated into the conference, but having got their act together (including building a new stadium) they have had a meteoric rise to their 12th place finish in the EPL last year. Conversely, Liverpool spent £100M on players last summer, yet finished 8th - and Robbie Fowler is now saying the following: -

Whilst John Barnes said: -

Swansea have a limited budget that they have stuck rigidly to, but have continually got the right managers in over the last few years (Martinez, Sousa and Rodgers) - conversely Liverpool have a huge budget and spent ridiculous amounts of money, yet we have two former players saying that it's a massive challenge to get back into the top four, and that they may to go several years without CL football in order to progress. Whilst it is indeed tough at the top of the EPL, it is utterly ridiculous for Liverpool to be potentially written off as serious contenders for 4th place in the EPL for a number of years, given the amount of money that they have spent on players in recent years.

Now obviously the EPL is a world away from the SPL, but it's all relative, and the rise of teams like Swansea and Norwich (who were never in relegation trouble, as opposed to big spending QPR, who escaped going down on the last day) are proof that getting the right manager(s) in is crucial to the direction and philosophy of a football club - at the top end Man City have shown that spending crazy money only works when you have the right man in place. Liverpool have proven that throwing money around guarantees nothing without the right man in charge (and they're far from the only ones).

In the SPL, Hearts have been quite similar to Liverpool (relatively, in recent years) in that they've enjoyed some cup success but their league form has been disappointing, finishing nowhere near the big guns, bar one season (you can even stretch the analogy to bringing back legendary managers who were previously successful, and it not working out). St. Johnstone are more like your Swansea, who took several years to get to where they want to be (several years spent in the first division), but beginning with Coyle, through McInnes, and now (it seems) with Lomas, have continually got their managerial appointments correct, and flourished within a strict budget.

We are somewhere between the two - nowhere near the crazy budget of Hearts, but certainly have more spending power than St. Johnstone. We have suffered from making the wrong managerial choices too many times in succession, and the constant cycle of acquiring new managers and signing new players, whilst paying out to rid ourselves of the old ones, has seen us arrive where we are. We all acknowledged that after Calderwood we needed to pick a manager who was going to instill all the qualities that we have been lacking for the last few years, and hopefully build us up (gradually, if necessary) over the next few years - hopefully Fenlon is that man, though significant improvements will need to be seen next season. I like him, he seems like the kind of character that we need going forward, and I very much hope that he is.

Even a giant like Liverpool now look as though they are trying to do this, hiring a manager who they hope will gradually lead them to greater success and restore them to where they believe that they should be - and they may well be looking at the model of a much smaller club as a template for their own success. We need quality players in, of that there is no doubt - but working the market properly is far more likely to lead to success than just spending lots of money. We can learn far more from the Swanseas and St. Johnstones of this world than we can the likes of Liverpool and Hearts.

Whether we have the management team and scouting network to deliver is another matter - but fingers crossed we can start progressing from here on in. It can be, and has been, done.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Good post and why I can't understand some of the nonsense already being spoken about Fenlon running out of time. He needs to be given the job of building this team properly.

By the way has Brian Murphy, QPR goalkeeper been mentioned as a target yet?

Dr Jimmy
31-05-2012, 11:07 AM
It's also interesting that Paolo Sergio is quoted in this morning's Metro as saying that he wants to know what kind of budget he will have for next season before committing himself to a new contract - so he obviously cannot be involved in any pursuit of McPake.

I would be surprised if Paolo Sergio is still there next season, let alone looking for players.

I have been told by a very good source (boring I know :rolleyes:, but he is usually right!) that Sergio only accepted the lower wage at Hearts when he came, as he was still receiving payments by his previous club in honour of his terminated contract. Now that these payments from his previous club have stopped he is struggling to stay at Hearts, especially as they have offered less than what he is currently on.

Added to this, there is no way they will be paying transfer fees for anyone.

Just Alf
31-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Meanwhile the Belfast News Letter reports a number of teams in England and Scotland are interested in signing out-of-contract Rangers striker David Healy.

The all-time top goalscorer for the Northern Ireland national team is a target for Crawley Town and Fleetwood Town, while one SPL side is also said to be in the running for the 32-year-old’s signature.

Hmmmm..... would we?

linky - http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/104115-rangers-players-attracting-transfer-interest-at-home-and-abroad/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

RickyS
31-05-2012, 11:14 AM
i heard today we were close to signing Neil Alexander, no inside knowledge or anything just wot i heard.
dunno if he is out of contract or not?

Stevie Reid
31-05-2012, 11:14 AM
We may be due some cash from Bamba being sold: -

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibs-face-bonus-windfall-over-sol-bamba-sale-1-2330421

CorrieHibs
31-05-2012, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Sir Alf R;3250754]Meanwhile the Belfast News Letter reports a number of teams in England and Scotland are interested in signing out-of-contract Rangers striker David Healy.

The all-time top goalscorer for the Northern Ireland national team is a target for Crawley Town and Fleetwood Town, while one SPL side is also said to be in the running for the 32-year-old’s signature.

Hmmmm..... would we?

Its St Mirren who are after him

Just Alf
31-05-2012, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=Liam Miller;3250779
Its St Mirren who are after him[/QUOTE]

ah.... :agree:

Beefster
31-05-2012, 12:05 PM
I know who I believe.

Me too.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/aberdeen/104125-aberdeen-boss-admits-club-jumped-the-gun-in-announcing-hayes-signing

ALF TUPPER
31-05-2012, 12:11 PM
We may be due some cash from Bamba being sold: -

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibs-face-bonus-windfall-over-sol-bamba-sale-1-2330421

Kerchiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing ........................ The tache strikes again ! :greengrin

Bobby's Cinema
31-05-2012, 12:38 PM

Sorry but thats guff.

I don't for a minute think he will sign for them regardless. But we talk about changing the culture of being a soft touch. Well that can be said right form the very top. People are already p***** off, rightly or wrongly, that they've had to fork out for season tickets for a final ticket. Every single thing at the club is so fragile at the minute. The importance of signing Mcpake cannot be understated IMO in the outlook of our season.

Its not ridiculous sums of money we're asking for is it. Supposing he is interested, lose a proportionally bigger chunk of the budget, and have the man to build the back four around. An provide the fans with a bawhair of enthusiasm for the new season. To see that the club is doing something.

Rubbish rubbish attitude.

Seveno
31-05-2012, 12:38 PM
[Look at ICT / St Jonstone / Motherwell as examples of creating teams that exceed the individuals....if PF can do that we will do well due to resources we have...if he cant we will be back to square one looking for another manager[/QUOTE]

You are quite right. Stuart McCall was quoted after a game that they lost, admitting that they had a squad of average players and it only took a couple playing off-form for things to go badly.

We need a manager like McCall that can organise a team and get them all working for each other. He also needs to do a Mowbray can unearth a gem every now and then to generate cash when sold on.

Let's give Pat the benefit of the doubt and at least a couple of seasons to get it right.

Andy74
31-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Sorry but thats guff.

I don't for a minute think he will sign for them regardless. But we talk about changing the culture of being a soft touch. Well that can be said right form the very top. People are already p***** off, rightly or wrongly, that they've had to fork out for season tickets for a final ticket. Every single thing at the club is so fragile at the minute. The importance of signing Mcpake cannot be understated IMO in the outlook of our season.

Its not ridiculous sums of money we're asking for is it. Supposing he is interested, lose a proportionally bigger chunk of the budget, and have the man to build the back four around. An provide the fans with a bawhair of enthusiasm for the new season. To see that the club is doing something.

Rubbish rubbish attitude.

I's not guff, it's reality, I agree with all you say about his importance on a number of fronts.

All I've said though is that there has to be a limit to what you can be pushed on. If Hearts say they will give him 8k a week should we just keep beating the offer? We pay what we can afford to our we can't sign him, same as any player.

It's nothing to do with attitude, its about the reality of what cash we have any how you can use it.

Kaiser1962
31-05-2012, 01:09 PM
The yams are pobably still paying more than us, but it won't be by much. They are a hopeless business model and it would seem that even Vlad has woken up to the fact that they need to start living within their means from now on. Aye they have a (slightly) larger average gate, but they also have horrendous debts to service. It's gonna be interesting to see how they line up next season. Hopefully without McPake.

Last published accounts state that the Yams are outspending us by a considerable amount. They didnt really trade profitably, despite their propoganda.

Spike Mandela
31-05-2012, 01:36 PM

Yes the ancient motto of the SPL's doormats and perennial losers.

We have just been pumped 5-1 in a humiliating fashion by our City rivals who had several players in their team they had out bid us for. How about Hibs start showing a desire to win and actually make sure we start the season with the man Fenlon thought important enough to make captain whilst on loan.

Diclonius
31-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Anyone got a very worrying feeling re the deal for Clancy suddenly going quiet?

--------
31-05-2012, 01:45 PM

You think? As soon as I saw the story on the BBC website I knew someone would gazump us. Someone always does. Fenlon will be scrabbling around at the beginning of August just like Hughes, just like Calderwood, just like Mixu in the past. I don't think anything has changed at ER.

darwenhibby
31-05-2012, 01:49 PM
You think? As soon as I saw the story on the BBC website I knew someone would gazump us. Someone always does. Fenlon will be scrabbling around at the beginning of August just like Hughes, just like Calderwood, just like Mixu in the past. I don't think anything has changed at ER.

Think theres gonna btrouble at mill

Aldo
31-05-2012, 01:52 PM
If the poster is correct re Alexander then I would be v happy at that (cannot see it tho).

As for budgets etc. For me I don't care who they sign as long as they come in and do a good job. Think some folk in here have delusions of granduier. Doesn't matter who we sign they won't be happy.

Yeah I want a winning team but that us going to take a bit if time.... Strong spine if a team and build from there.

Budgets mean nowt unless you spend it wisely. I trust PF to do the job and I am sure he will get us sorted before the start of pre season.

Beefster
31-05-2012, 01:55 PM

We have just been pumped 5-1 in a humiliating fashion by our City rivals who had several players in their team they had out bid us for. How about Hibs start showing a desire to win and actually make sure we start the season with the man Fenlon thought important enough to make captain whilst on loan.

I've said similar in the last few weeks. The loser mentality is rife at the club - from chairman, board, players and right down to support.

Bobby's Cinema
31-05-2012, 01:57 PM

100% correct

PatHead
31-05-2012, 02:00 PM
If the poster is correct re Alexander then I would be v happy at that (cannot see it tho).

As for budgets etc. For me I don't care who they sign as long as they come in and do a good job. Think some folk in here have delusions of granduier. Doesn't matter who we sign they won't be happy.

Yeah I want a winning team but that us going to take a bit if time.... Strong spine if a team and build from there.

Budgets mean nowt unless you spend it wisely. I trust PF to do the job and I am sure he will get us sorted before the start of pre season.

I agree Alexander is a good goalie and as he comes from Midlothian, has a close knit family Hibs could suit him. Does worry me that he seems happy enough to be a number 2 at a club though. Does he have the right drive and will to win to fit in with the (hopefully) new culture at Easter Road? Bit like Newcastle's 2nd choice goalie (Harper?) who was happy enough to be number 2 behind Shay Given for years. Didn't hack it when required every week and has now been passed again by Krul.

Don Giovanni
31-05-2012, 02:02 PM

Not really. I've been so impressed with him that I thought he was a midfielder and still played for Killie.

If he does arrive at ER here's hoping he makes more of an impression!

Don Giovanni
31-05-2012, 02:07 PM
I've said similar in the last few weeks. The loser mentality is rife at the club - from chairman, board, players and right down to support.

I understand what your saying Beefster but I reckon most of the fans have higher aspirations than the players or board. Certainly the standards we expect are higher than what has been delivered.
It's that shortfall which has caused much of the disappointment, anger and apathy IMO. The fans expect, demand better. :dunno:

adhibs
31-05-2012, 02:15 PM
if he signs for them itl be another massive kick in the baws from hearts before the seasons even started. I realy despair at hibs sometime

hibs0666
31-05-2012, 02:16 PM

Yup, we're at rock-bottom and the old ways that have gone before simply cannot apply any more.

Coco Bryce
31-05-2012, 02:33 PM

He's already signed. Hibs just not released the news yet.

Pretty Boy
31-05-2012, 02:38 PM

Agree.

Seems like a few folk are already preparing for, and accepting, a continuation of the same unsuccessful recruitment policies of years gone by.

sundo1875
31-05-2012, 02:39 PM
He's already signed. Hibs just not released the news yet.

What about Cairney?

GreenPJ
31-05-2012, 02:40 PM
I thought it had been quoted before that Alexander was on £11K a week plus £1K bench money.

To sign him am guessing we would need to make him one of the highest earners (even although nothing like he was on) but my concern with that is would he do a Jim Leighton and save you 15-20 points a season, personally I don't think so. If you can find a keeper who can do that good and well, if not why spend a big chunk of the budget on someone IMO is not really much different to what we have.

Andy74
31-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Agree.

Seems like a few folk are already preparing for, and accepting, a continuation of the same unsuccessful recruitment policies of years gone by.

Maybe some think there is nothing wrong with the actual process or timings, just that the previous mangers have done a bad job in identifying the correct players?

I don't see the need to bring the pre season Hibs.net panic even further into the holiday period just because we have a bit more to do. The market still works the same way and I'm more confident that Fenlon knows what we need.

I also rather suspect that a couple of the players mentioned already are lined up to be confirmed once the window actually opens and when they are around from holidays to actually sign.

Andy74
31-05-2012, 02:48 PM

Okay, so what is your max weekly figure for signing him? Do you have one or just more than anyone else will pay?

Stevie Reid
31-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Agree.

There is considerable irony in this post given that it is not even the end of May and the window doesn't open until tomorrow, not to mention the fact that McPake hasn't signed for Hearts.

Other people may be preparing themselves for more disappointments in the transfer market - you are already criticising the club for the same failings (that haven't been made so far this close season), which is jumping the gun to say the least.

Beefster
31-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Maybe some think there is nothing wrong with the actual process or timings, just that the previous mangers have done a bad job in identifying the correct players?

You can't recognise the possibility that not signing the right players is a symptom of a number of factors, including the way that we seem to conduct our transfer business and the fact that we're usually scrabbling about after the season starts looking for free agents and trialists?

The managers will have some blame to share in but so do those running the club. To try and pin it all on the managers just weakens your argument IMHO. These problems have been going on far too long to be down to a procession of unrelated individuals all making the same mistakes, whilst the individuals who have been there from start to finish are entirely without blame.

There is considerable irony in this post given that it is not even the end of May and the window doesn't open until tomorrow, not to mention the fact that McPake hasn't signed for Hearts.

Other people may be preparing themselves for more disappointments in the transfer market - you are already criticising the club for the same failings (that haven't been made so far this close season), which is jumping the gun to say the least.

The window doesn't open until July 1, according to Wikipedia. Either way, there's nothing stopping anyone signing players now - they just won't be able to register them until the window opens.

BEEJ
31-05-2012, 04:20 PM
You can't recognise the possibility that not signing the right players is a symptom of a number of factors, including the way that we seem to conduct our transfer business and the fact that we're usually scrabbling about after the season starts looking for free agents and trialists?

The managers will have some blame to share in but so do those running the club. To try and pin it all on the managers just weakens your argument IMHO. These problems have been going on far too long to be down to a procession of unrelated individuals all making the same mistakes, whilst the individuals who have been there from start to finish are entirely without blame.
:agree: Spot on!

matty_f
31-05-2012, 04:22 PM

The window doesn't open until July 1, according to Wikipedia. Either way, there's nothing stopping anyone signing players now - they just won't be able to register them until the window opens.

I'd agree with that as well.:agree:

AlbertK86
31-05-2012, 04:40 PM
IF our man ROD lets Hearts humiliate us yet again and lets them snatch McPake it will see crowds tumble even further and be the latest in a number of embarrassing incidents

Kyle
Barr
Hamill
Webster

3 seasons destroying us where we have deserved hee haw due to the inept displays

the biggest humiliation possible in the cup final

I've lived through the bad times of their 22 in a row and all the other big undefeated runs against us but i've got to say this is the most humiliated i've ever felt as far as they are concerned. Even all the Jambos I know now just feel sorry for me instead of taking the Pi double s !!!

ROD don't let us down again... if you do it will be obvious to all - that as i have suspected for years ... you do not give an eff about the fans...

muzzhfc
31-05-2012, 04:41 PM
isnt adam le fondre supposed to be signing anytime soon? :wink:

Spike Mandela
31-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Okay, so what is your max weekly figure for signing him? Do you have one or just more than anyone else will pay?

If we can't persuade a man we made Captain, who is clearly loved by the fans and who has proven he is the standard required to improve the club then we are in big trouble. Yes I accept that should say a Celtic comes in the sense has to prevail and we have to step aside but with Hearts openly declaring the need to cost cut I don't believe we should lose out on this deal to ANY other Scottish club.

We have a budget which Fenlon can use as he sees fit and getting McPake should be his top priority and indeed should be offered the top wage. However the squad is such a mess and so many players have to be replaced that the top wage we can offer will be diluted by the sheer number of players we have to sign.

I fear we may lose out on McPake for the reasons you suggest and iI also believe on the evidence of last year that if this is the trend all new player negotiations take then we will be relegated.

Kaiser1962
31-05-2012, 04:51 PM

I dont know how you get round that though Spike without jeapordising the future of the club.

Andy74
31-05-2012, 05:07 PM

You are making a lot of assumptions about how you think Hibs act in the windows that I would largely disagree with.

Andy74
31-05-2012, 05:10 PM
If we can't persuade a man we made Captain, who is clearly loved by the fans and who has proven he is the standard required to improve the club then we are in big trouble. Yes I accept that should say a Celtic comes in the sense has to prevail and we have to step aside but with Hearts openly declaring the need to cost cut I don't believe we should lose out on this deal to ANY other Scottish club.

We have a budget which Fenlon can use as he sees fit and getting McPake should be his top priority and indeed should be offered the top wage. However the squad is such a mess and so many players have to be replaced that the top wage we can offer will be diluted by the sheer number of players we have to sign.

I fear we may lose out on McPake for the reasons you suggest and iI also believe on the evidence of last year that if this is the trend all new player negotiations take then we will be relegated.

I'm sure we will make every effort to sign him with what wechave to play with. If any club, Hearts included, decide to pay more than we can then that's tough. That's not a failure on Hibs part.

BEEJ
31-05-2012, 06:17 PM
You are making a lot of assumptions about how you think Hibs act in the windows that I would largely disagree with.
Unfortunately much of the evidence favours Beefster's view of the world. We're being turned down by too many players in favour of other SPL sides for it to be seen as just a coincidence now.

With every season that passes Hibs seem to manage to make themselves less and less attractive as a proposition for players as a potential club to join. Right now our stock must be as low as it's been for very many years. Partly that's down to the revolving door that's been installed in the Manager's Office.

Therefore, whether the Board likes it or not they may have to be prepared to offer more money to draw to the club a nucleus of key signings that will in turn encourage others to join.

The fervent hope is that in doing so they will bring us some much needed stability.

snooky
31-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately much of the evidence favours Beefster's view of the world. We're being turned down by too many players in favour of other SPL sides for it to be seen as just a coincidence now.

With every season that passes Hibs seem to manage to make themselves less and less attractive as a proposition for players as a potential club to join. Right now our stock must be as low as it's been for very many years. Partly that's down to the revolving door that's been installed in the Manager's Office.

Therefore, whether the Board likes it or not they may have to be prepared to offer more money to draw to the club a nucleus of key signings that will in turn encourage others to join.

The fervent hope is that in doing so they will bring us some much needed stability.

:agree: 100%

Del Boy
31-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Just reading on BBC site that Dundee Utd have signed Mark Millar from Falkirk. Saw him play a few times and he's a good Midfielder who I think would walk in to our team. Out of contract and low wages, wonder if we were interested?

Hibee Ryan
31-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Ronaldinho has just been released due to unpaid wages.... PETRIE GET IT DONE!! :wink:

HIBERNIAN-0762
31-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Ronaldinho has just been released due to unpaid wages.... PETRIE GET IT DONE!! :wink:

Never knew he was at the Yams...:cb

Hibee Ryan
31-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Never knew he was at the Yams...:cb

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

At least he had the meatballs to stand up to his club about it unlike the Yams from the pink bus shelter:agree:

muirhousehibby
31-05-2012, 11:40 PM

That’s partly to do with the fact hibs seems to be the dumping ground of problematic players with bad attitutes. We’re signing folk that are not good role models drug addicts, binge drinkers and its never been sorted since john Collins left. Training ground bust ups, in trouble with the law etc.

Joe
01-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Hibs are also puruing a deal for Slovak international defender Lubo Michalik. (The Daily Mail)

Taken from BBC gossip.

6.4 28 year old central defender.

Stevie Reid
01-06-2012, 08:56 AM

My mistake. Regardless, I share the concerns of may on here that we may make the same mistakes as previous summer windows this year as we have got it so wrong for so long - I just think that it's a bit early to start castigating the board for doing it again.

Stevie Reid
01-06-2012, 08:58 AM

Certainly can't argue with that.

Leighonel
01-06-2012, 09:12 AM
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2012/06/01/92746-31091359/

Hopefully this link works, here is the main bit anyway:

" City’s development director Steve Waggott confirmed the two clubs have been in communication over the defender’s future, saying: “We have had a discussion with Hibs about the next steps for James but that’s very much up in the air at the moment and to all intents and purposes he’s still a Coventry player and will be returning for pre-season on July 1."

Sorry if posted already.

DC_Hibs
01-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Hibs are also puruing a deal for Slovak international defender Lubo Michalik. (The Daily Mail)

Taken from BBC gossip.

Interesting if true. Out of contract at Carlisle where he has done well and earned an international recall recently.
c50 games for Leeds prior to joining Carlisle.

Sky report from last month said Barnsley, Swindon and Crawley were all interested though so might be better money on the table than we'd offer.

In summary: Sign him up.

Andy74
01-06-2012, 09:48 AM
My mistake. Regardless, I share the concerns of may on here that we may make the same mistakes as previous summer windows this year as we have got it so wrong for so long - I just think that it's a bit early to start castigating the board for doing it again.

Other than the manager's not getting the right players (which is with hindsight mainly) what mistakes do we generally make each window?

Don Giovanni
01-06-2012, 09:52 AM

Taken from BBC gossip.

Name sounds familiar.
Have we been credited with an interest previously?

Don Giovanni
01-06-2012, 09:55 AM
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2012/06/01/92746-31091359/

Hopefully this link works, here is the main bit anyway:

" City’s development director Steve Waggott confirmed the two clubs have been in communication over the defender’s future, saying: “We have had a discussion with Hibs about the next steps for James but that’s very much up in the air at the moment and to all intents and purposes he’s still a Coventry player and will be returning for pre-season on July 1."

Sorry if posted already.

Encouraging to hear that we have had discussions with Coventry.
Here's hoping we can agree a package to get him signed up.

Thecat23
01-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Other than the manager's not getting the right players (which is with hindsight mainly) what mistakes do we generally make each window?

What we can't afford to do is leave it late with signings. This has proved to be a complete and utter failure. The dross we have signed while leaving it late is unreal. Get players signed and fast. No messing about and then they can get a proper pre season together. If this doesn't happen then Fenlon has a real task on his hands. I still think he's our man to get us out this.

Andy74
01-06-2012, 10:23 AM
What we can't afford to do is leave it late with signings. This has proved to be a complete and utter failure. The dross we have signed while leaving it late is unreal. Get players signed and fast. No messing about and then they can get a proper pre season together. If this doesn't happen then Fenlon has a real task on his hands. I still think he's our man to get us out this.

This twice annual complaint firstly I don't think really stacks up when you look at the dates players sign and secondly I don't think is a deliberate tactic at all.

It's just the way it wors when there is competition for players and leagues that go back at different times.

Why would there be such a big fuss abour deadline day if it worked any differently?

Getting players in quickly is of course ideal, but only if they are the ones you want. Speed isn't of the essence, the right quality and creating the right balance at the end of it is.

You'd think reading on this that Hibs just sit about in the office until suddenly deciding to do something weeks later. That's total nonsense.

Where we've made mistakes is in pursuing the wrong players. We've also changed manager so often that we constantly have to work on getting more players in than anyone else.

Yes, some teams are announcing players now. Some we might quite like, most we wouldn't. I'd question whether you are giving yourself the best opportunity to see what players become available. For what its worth I think hibs have at least two players who have agreed to sign and had been worked on for some time before the end of the season and several more are ongoing even though we don't hear about them.

Keep this in mind: The keeper Smith was signed on the first day of a window. De Graaf was nice and early as were Maka and O'Brien. You can sign dross whenever you complete the deal.

Stevie Reid
01-06-2012, 10:27 AM

I can understand why it has happened previously (and have defended the board for it) but we have often been near the start of the season giving trials to the likes of Thicot and Keenan, which is far from ideal preparation for a new season.

I have accepted the reasons for why this has happened previously, but it does cause us problems - I think the biggest issue is that we are often asked to be patient as quality signings can be made on deadline day, but keeping some of the budget back in the hope of getting a significant piece of the jigsaw in the closing hours of the window has proven to be a flawed policy in recent years (I appreciate that we got Bamba and Riordan in 2008).

I must state that it is far too early to be really worrying about our lack of signings, and I do have a feeling (FWIW) that we will make the necessary signings earlier this year - however, I can understand the concerns that people have about the happenings of recent windows being repeated; with such a huge rebuild required, getting as many new signings in as possible for pre-season training is massively important.

I mistakenly thought that the window opened today, and that we would hear about signings now - people are gonna get very edgy if nothing is announced over the next month. I understand that we cannot possibly know the ins and outs of what the club are doing, and that work will constantly be going on with regards to bringing the right players to Hibs. However, given how bad things have been in recent years, and how horrendous the SC Final experience was, I can understand why people will question how significant business is being done elsewhere, whilst we have yet to announce anything.

I am not anxious yet, but decisive action is needed soon.

JimBHibees
01-06-2012, 11:05 AM
This twice annual complaint firstly I don't think really stacks up when you look at the dates players sign and secondly I don't think is a deliberate tactic at all.

It's just the way it wors when there is competition for players and leagues that go back at different times.

Why would there be such a big fuss abour deadline day if it worked any differently?

Getting players in quickly is of course ideal, but only if they are the ones you want. Speed isn't of the essence, the right quality and creating the right balance at the end of it is.

You'd think reading on this that Hibs just sit about in the office until suddenly deciding to do something weeks later. That's total nonsense.

Where we've made mistakes is in pursuing the wrong players. We've also changed manager so often that we constantly have to work on getting more players in than anyone else.

Yes, some teams are announcing players now. Some we might quite like, most we wouldn't. I'd question whether you are giving yourself the best opportunity to see what players become available. For what its worth I think hibs have at least two players who have agreed to sign and had been worked on for some time before the end of the season and several more are ongoing even though we don't hear about them.

Keep this in mind: The keeper Smith was signed on the first day of a window. De Graaf was nice and early as were Maka and O'Brien. You can sign dross whenever you complete the deal.

What do you mean dross you thought he was brilliant. :greengrin

Agree with all other points it is ideal to get players in however the most important thing is that it is the right players and not last minute panic buys in August.

Most people in football, players, managers, Boards etc will be on holidays I would imagine and while appreciating that business will still be able to be done in some respect I think we need to be patient to some degree. If we are in late July and we are well short then I think that there would be room for complaint not in the first day of June IMO.

muzzhfc
01-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Name sounds familiar.
Have we been credited with an interest previously?

your thinking of the ex celtic player

ski1875
01-06-2012, 11:48 AM

We have a psychic

Andy74
01-06-2012, 11:55 AM

We had actually been linked with this guy when he was released by Leeds.

Just_Jimmy
01-06-2012, 11:58 AM
If Fenlon get's us the spine of a team this summer. A goalkeep, McPake, A Central midfielder and a proper number 9 then I'll even wait until January to add more pieces.

I accept that this is a long term project now. We are a complete mess, and anyone that thinks we can go from here to top 6 or European challengers in one summer is, frankly, deluded.

I'd be delighted with 8th or above this season and push on.

We don't need a revolution every summer, we need solid mark improvement. That old 5 year plan etc, with clear defined markers of improvement that Fenlon can be judged against.

Don Giovanni
01-06-2012, 12:28 PM
We had actually been linked with this guy when he was released by Leeds.

Cheers Andy, I thought that was the case.

Kato
01-06-2012, 12:33 PM
If Fenlon get's us the spine of a team this summer. A goalkeep, McPake, A Central midfielder and a proper number 9 then I'll even wait until January to add more pieces.

I accept that this is a long term project now. We are a complete mess, and anyone that thinks we can go from here to top 6 or European challengers in one summer is, frankly, deluded.

We don't need a revolution every summer, we need solid mark improvement. That old 5 year plan etc, with clear defined markers of improvement that Fenlon can be judged against.

This is the reality. There is no quick fix.

Cropley10
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Perhaps Fenlon will be part of the reason we find it hard to bring quality players in. Our dismal home form and appalling Cup Final are going to be factors, and judging by something I heard from someone connected to the playing staff he's not set the heather on fire on the training park either.

Folk my like the track suit and passionate plain speaking but i don't think he's a big draw in himself.

Time will tell how he does in a League where he won't have the most to spend.

GordonHFC
01-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Perhaps Fenlon will be part of the reason we find it hard to bring quality players in. Our dismal home form and appalling Cup Final are going to be factors, and judging by something I heard from someone connected to the playing staff he's not set the heather on fire on the training park either.

Folk my like the track suit and passionate plain speaking but i don't think he's a big draw in himself.

I am hearing that Brown and O'Brien don't particularly hit it off. Brown could be the next out the door.

silverhibee
01-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Promising Hibs Youngsters now a lost generation.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/promising-hibs-youngsters-now-a-lost-generation-1-2333092

Andy74
01-06-2012, 12:51 PM

He had to build a squad in his last year in Ireland from scratch with about £250k total wage budget. The team he managed to pull together finished in a decent position so he must be able to do allright without a big budget.

There have been a number of articles from ex players and journalists that I've read since he arrived that have been very complimentary about the way he goes about things and his record proves he knows how to with things.

Compared to the many other non entities at rival clubs this seems a bizarre angle to take. I must admit I don't really get the undercurrent that seems to be working to undermine Fenlon already, as if we haven't learned yet what being in constant upheaval is doing for us.

Andy74
01-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Promising Hibs Youngsters now a lost generation.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/promising-hibs-youngsters-now-a-lost-generation-1-2333092

A bit of a daft article that though on a slow news day. Mind you, many Hibs fans were getting carried away too when they all got signd up but really, two or three coming from any age group into the first team is exceptional and it could have focused on how three from that age group are now in and around the first team with two being key Scotland Under 21 players, one of them the captain.

marinello59
01-06-2012, 12:55 PM
A bit of a daft article that though on a slow news day. Mind you, many Hibs fans were getting carried away too when they all got signd up but really, two or three coming from any age group into the first team is exceptional and it could have focused on how three from that age group are now in and around the first team with two being key Scotland Under 21 players, one of them the captain.

:top marks

c31
01-06-2012, 12:55 PM
he's not set the heather on fire on the training park either.

Exactly what I heard from a player – “his ways are old fashion and out-dated” is what I was told.

I know he has a lot of support from the fans but I fail to understand how he has gain this, what are his qualities?

Can someone tell me why he is the man to take us forward, to me it was another cheap option from Hibs, I will be delighted if he comes good but I feel were are in for a long, long season once more.

cabbageandribs1875
01-06-2012, 12:56 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4349666/200k-cut-suits-Mac.html

JAMES McPAKE is willing to sacrifice £200,000 to ensure that he gets a move to Hibs.

SunSport understands the Easter Road skipper would love to clinch a permanent move to Hibs after last season’s four month loan spell.

SlickShoes
01-06-2012, 01:00 PM
So if its in the sun, that means it's not true, gutted he's not coming back!

Andy74
01-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Exactly what I heard from a player – “his ways are old fashion and out-dated” is what I was told.

I know he has a lot of support from the fans but I fail to understand how he has gain this, what are his qualities?

Can someone tell me why he is the man to take us forward, to me it was another cheap option from Hibs, I will be delighted if he comes good but I feel were are in for a long, long season once more.

I'm sure that player was able to claim the high ground given the medals they will have won compared to Fenlon?

HibeeMassive
01-06-2012, 01:07 PM
McPake spoke very highly of Fenlon, said he really enjoyed training and thought most of the boys did too.

What he did allude to is that there are a couple who had gripes about training etc, but it was generally guys who were on the fringes or not playing at all.

JimBHibees
01-06-2012, 01:13 PM

Look up his wiki page it gives you a good idea of what he has won as a player and a manager and what his football credentials are. Compare it then with the football career of the unnamed player and see who has more credibility in the game.

Every club including the top in the world will have players who are only too willing to mouth off about what is wrong with this or that usually when they are not playing in the first team. Footballers are inherently self obsessed and will look for any excuse why they are not in the team rather than focussing on things they may be able to control like fitness or practising more on weaknesses in their game rather than moaning to every random Joe about the manager usually while supping on a pint.

JimBHibees
01-06-2012, 01:14 PM
McPake spoke very highly of Fenlon, said he really enjoyed training and thought most of the boys did too.

What he did allude to is that there are a couple who had gripes about training etc, but it was generally guys who were on the fringes or not playing at all.

As happens with every club on the planet get these losers out the club.

hopefulhibby
01-06-2012, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=GordonHFC;3251832]I am hearing that Brown and O'Brien don't particularly hit it off. Brown could be the next out the door.[/QU
Ithink brown has been giving PF a bum steer from day 1, sooner the better he is gone

hopefulhibby
01-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Look up his wiki page it gives you a good idea of what he has won as a player and a manager and what his football credentials are. Compare it then with the football career of the unnamed player and see who has more credibility in the game.

Every club including the top in the world will have players who are only too willing to mouth off about what is wrong with this or that usually when they are not playing in the first team. Footballers are inherently self obsessed and will look for any excuse why they are not in the team rather than focussing on things they may be able to control like fitness or practising more on weaknesses in their game rather than moaning to every random Joe about the manager usually while supping on a pint.
LOI and SPL are worlds apart

Andy74
01-06-2012, 02:46 PM

Indeed, some of the LoI teams do pretty well in Europe.

soupy
01-06-2012, 02:53 PM

I wouldn't give a toss who said what about who, coming from that squad of players, apart from well Mr mcpake, but talking about worlds apart none of them players are even close to the professional that your ex LOI manager is...

hopefulhibby
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Shamrock Rovers done really well last year and a player called Pat Sullivan scored 1 of the best goals you are likely to see

Dunbar Hibee
01-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Old fashioned training tactics? Good. Get these losers running up and down Arthurs Seat every day.

JimBHibees
01-06-2012, 03:05 PM

Old Firm apart I am not sure there will be that much between the other teams. It is fundamentally the same job though he has proven to be able to build 2 or 3 successful teams and constantly win trophies. He will have a winners attitude which would appear to be in stark contrast to what our current players appear to have in any great number. If players are moaning about him then good it means he is maybe making life less of a cushy number at East Mains. I think it was Fenlon himself that said that he was amazed to see so many smiling faces at a club that was struggling. I agree with him we need many more focussed and dedicated professionals rather than kid on ones who think it is acceptable to regularly get blootered and go out partying a few hours after being humiliated in one of the biggest games in the clubs 137 year history.

Cropley10
01-06-2012, 03:33 PM
The individual I spoke to isn't a player and has no axe to grind. It was a style of football and approach conversation we had.

We're all pinning our hopes on an influx of players, some quality players in that too. Need to wait and see, but we will we be harder to beat, maybe even win a game at home, or can we look forward to a better style of play?

ScottB
01-06-2012, 03:38 PM

So is SFL1 and the EPL, yet Coyle hasn't had these issues. Success is success, and Fenlon has had more in has career than our whole sorry squad added together.

The individual I spoke to isn't a player and has no axe to grind. It was a style of football and approach conversation we had.

We're all pinning our hopes on an influx of players, some quality players in that too. Need to wait and see, but we will we be harder to beat, maybe even win a game at home, or can we look forward to a better style of play?

He was able to craft hard working, winning teams in Ireland, hopefully, and I can't see why not, he can do the same for us.

Just Alf
01-06-2012, 03:45 PM
The teams who were in the Premier League last season have announced their list of retained players - and there are some star names available.

Several big names will be seeking new clubs but, although defender Ledley King is not on Tottenham's retained list following the expiration of his contract, he says he will be back at White Hart Lane next season in either a playing or coaching capacity.

Danny Murphy and Pavel Pogrebnyak have not made Fulham's list but the club are believed to be in discussions with the duo about extending their stays.

However, Andrew Johnson is set to leave Craven Cottage this summer and other notable players who will be on the move are Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia, Manchester City's Owen Hargreaves and Michael Owen of Manchester United.

Selected players who have been given free transfers:

Arsenal: Manuel Almunia

Aston Villa: Carlos Cuellar, Emile Heskey

Blackburn: Miguel Salgado

Bolton: Juusi Jaaskelainen, Zat Knight, Paul Robinson, Gretar Steinsson

Chelsea: Jose Bosingwa, Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou

Everton: James McFadden

Fulham: Danny Murphy, Andrew Johnson, Pavel Pogrebnyak

Liverpool: Fabio Aurelio

Manchester City: Owen Hargeaves

Manchester United: Tomasz Kuszczak, Michael Owen

Newcastle: Danny Guthrie, Peter Lovenkrands, Alan Smith

Norwich: Zak Whitbread, Aaron Wilbrahim

QPR: Danny Gabbidon, Fitz Hall

Stoke: Salif Diao, Ricardo Fuller

Sunderland: Craig Gordon

Swansea: Ferrie Bodde

Tottenham: Ledley King, Ryan Nelsen, Louis Saha

WBA: Keith Andrews, Paul Scharner, Somen Tchoyi

Wigan: Mohamed Diame, Chris Kirkland, Hugo Rodallega

Wolves: Jody Craddock

original article here .... > http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/7790751/Prem-teams-reveal-retained-lists

Discuss :greengrin

chrisski33
01-06-2012, 04:11 PM

take it the player was trying to the heat off them for their lack of fight and passion in the final? players often moan about training and quite frankly if they are old fashioned and out dated it worked in the past. maybe fenlon switched off the xboxs and tvs at em?
i would take whatever a player says from this current squad with a pinch of salt as i wouldnt have them at the club if i was manager :flag:

Cropley10
01-06-2012, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=ScottB;32520
He was able to craft hard working, winning teams in Ireland, hopefully, and I can't see why not, he can do the same for us.[/QUOTE]

Sadly no evidence of this at Hibs yet. As I said the conversation was along the lines of 'not seen nothing yet'. Hard to disagree.

Andy74
01-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Sadly no evidence of this at Hibs yet. As I said the conversation was along the lines of 'not seen nothing yet'. Hard to disagree.

Aye, because he's had such a great opportunity to do so eh? :rolleyes:

ancient hibee
01-06-2012, 07:33 PM
The teams who were in the Premier League last season have announced their list of retained players - and there are some star names available.

Several big names will be seeking new clubs but, although defender Ledley King is not on Tottenham's retained list following the expiration of his contract, he says he will be back at White Hart Lane next season in either a playing or coaching capacity.

Danny Murphy and Pavel Pogrebnyak have not made Fulham's list but the club are believed to be in discussions with the duo about extending their stays.

However, Andrew Johnson is set to leave Craven Cottage this summer and other notable players who will be on the move are Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia, Manchester City's Owen Hargreaves and Michael Owen of Manchester United.

Selected players who have been given free transfers:

Arsenal: Manuel Almunia

Aston Villa: Carlos Cuellar, Emile Heskey

Blackburn: Miguel Salgado

Bolton: Juusi Jaaskelainen, Zat Knight, Paul Robinson, Gretar Steinsson

Chelsea: Jose Bosingwa, Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou

Everton: James McFadden

Fulham: Danny Murphy, Andrew Johnson, Pavel Pogrebnyak

Liverpool: Fabio Aurelio

Manchester City: Owen Hargeaves

Manchester United: Tomasz Kuszczak, Michael Owen

Newcastle: Danny Guthrie, Peter Lovenkrands, Alan Smith

Norwich: Zak Whitbread, Aaron Wilbrahim

QPR: Danny Gabbidon, Fitz Hall

Stoke: Salif Diao, Ricardo Fuller

Sunderland: Craig Gordon

Swansea: Ferrie Bodde

Tottenham: Ledley King, Ryan Nelsen, Louis Saha

WBA: Keith Andrews, Paul Scharner, Somen Tchoyi

Wigan: Mohamed Diame, Chris Kirkland, Hugo Rodallega

Wolves: Jody Craddock

original article here .... > http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/7790751/Prem-teams-reveal-retained-lists

Discuss :greengrin

None of them are Hibs Class.Discussion ended.

Iceman1875
01-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Danny Guthrie at Newcastle is a strange one...

MSK
01-06-2012, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=
]I am hearing that Brown and O'Brien don't particularly hit it off. Brown could be the next out the door.[/QU
Ithink brown has been giving PF a bum steer from day 1, sooner the better he is goneYou are hearing or is it just voices in your head ..?....whatever way dressed ..more negative pish from you ..

NOLA
01-06-2012, 10:03 PM

Can someone tell me why he is the man to take us forward, to me it was another cheap option from Hibs, I will be delighted if he comes good but I feel were are in for a long, long season once more. who is the right man to take us forward though? its now seen as a poisoned chalice of a job, any manager we bring in now will be of the young making his way in the game manager, we have to let fenlon get on with it, fingers crossed :agree:

hibernianyank
01-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Don't know if it's a fake account and sorry couldn't get a link but Garry O'Connor said he has been in talks with hearts on twitter! He tweeted saying he hasn't signed for then but has been approached

snooky
02-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Don't know if it's a fake account and sorry couldn't get a link but Garry O'Connor said he has been in talks with hearts on twitter! He tweeted saying he hasn't signed for then but has been approached

Calling Karen Dunbar to the witness box ......calling Karen Dunbar to the witness box ..... etc

:******:

chrisski33
02-06-2012, 06:43 AM

Haha ur funny!

Barney McGrew
02-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Don't know if it's a fake account

It is.

Easter Road X1
02-06-2012, 08:03 AM

The LOI has produced some decent players, they have five in the Irish Euro's squad

David Forde
Stephen Ward
James McClean
Shane Long
Kevin Doyle

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-06-2012, 08:05 AM

He'll suit them there of course, replacing one snorter with another

:wink:

hibernianyank
02-06-2012, 10:06 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/GarryOofficial/status/208695509626519553

bingo70
02-06-2012, 10:07 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/GarryOofficial/status/208695509626519553

That's not his real page, he doesn't have a Twitter account

seven nowt
02-06-2012, 10:17 AM
I'd take McFadden, although I doubt we'd be able to meet his wage demand.

hibernianyank
02-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Like people have said its a fake account, i just wasn't entirely sure but here is his account with the tweets https://twitter.com/#!/GarryOofficial.

hopefulhibby
02-06-2012, 02:49 PM
The LOI has produced some decent players, they have five in the Irish Euro's squad
David Forde
Stephen Ward
James McClean
Shane Long
Kevin Doyle

Also some very good players who didn't make the squad, the point i was making was it is much easier to win things in the LOI when you have the highest budget, yes i know Celtic had the highest budget last season and won the league

hopefulhibby
02-06-2012, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=hopefulhibby;3251959]You are hearing or is it just voices in your head ..?....whatever way dressed ..more negative pish from you ..
Do you think BB has been a positive influence on the team?? and why??

Leishy1995
02-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Ian Black was in the village shop in wallyford buying egg rolls this morning, my dad asked if he'd sign for Hibs. His response was 'I haven't been approached by anyone yet.'
should we try for him?

RickyS
02-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Ian Black was in the village shop in wallyford buying egg rolls this morning, my dad asked if he'd sign for Hibs. His response was 'I haven't been approached by anyone yet.'
should we try for him?

I would be surprised if Pat was not aware of his situation and how much he is looking for, but personally
I can't see him ruining his new found status with the fans with 6 toes to sign for us

Hibernia Na Eir
02-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Lubo Michalik for Hibs?

seems to be doin the rounds when you Google his name

Cocaine&Caviar
02-06-2012, 09:55 PM

David Forde
Stephen Ward
James McClean
Shane Long
Kevin Doyle

Keith Fahey?

chrisski33
02-06-2012, 10:03 PM
should we try for him?

its rumoured that rangers will sign him if the player embargo is lifted

AlbertK86
02-06-2012, 10:18 PM
He'll fit right in there. The whole Rangers set up is a massive cheat !

Leishy1995
02-06-2012, 11:48 PM
I would be surprised if Pat was not aware of his situation and how much he is looking for, but personally
I can't see him ruining his new found status with the fans with 6 toes to sign for us

Be very funny if he done it just to be controversial though. He's smaller Than my wee sister too. My dad told him he'd be better on the bacon to get some meat on him.

1875STEVE
03-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Lubo Michalik for Hibs?

Was in the scotsman, and they mentioned him on the bbc radio news today.

SouthamptonHibs
03-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Mon le cabbage xx

The Green Goblin
03-06-2012, 12:59 AM

"Manager" is conspicuous by its absence in that list. What's your view? (Genuine question)

Just_Jimmy
03-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Danny Guthrie at Newcastle is a strange one...

He was offered a deal and said he wanted to move on. Good squad player who wants a start. Solid pro. Good luck to him.

The Green Goblin
03-06-2012, 01:14 AM

Is this one of the same "players" that was part of the worst Hibs team in living memory last season?

ALF TUPPER
03-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Old fashioned training tactics? Good. Get these losers running up and down Arthurs Seat every day.

Gullane Sands too.

No more namby pamby tippy tappy stick it up your jacksy laddi da laddi das for me .

( cred Inspctr Grimm)

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Lubo Michalik for Hibs?

I wonder if this is true, its to compliment McPake, or someone we'd like should McPake not return?

3pm
03-06-2012, 09:38 AM
I wonder if this is true, its to compliment McPake, or someone we'd like should McPake not return?

With McPake....

down-the-slope
03-06-2012, 09:47 AM

Well that might depend on whether Hanlon is still here. With the clubs that have looked at him and his continued captaincy and displays for U21's it would be no surprise to see offers for him - and given losses we have suffered past 2 seasons we would not be in a position to turn down a decent offer.

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Well that might depend on whether Hanlon is still here. With the clubs that have looked at him and his continued captaincy and displays for U21's it would be no surprise to see offers for him - and given losses we have suffered past 2 seasons we would not be in a position to turn down a decent offer.

I think any offers would have to be made on his under 21 displays, as i dont see any decent offers on his Hibs performances, unless they were also signing McPake too? :wink:

Paisley Hibby
03-06-2012, 10:04 AM
:agree:

hibsmad
03-06-2012, 10:24 AM
I am hearing that Brown and O'Brien don't particularly hit it off. Brown could be the next out the door.

I really hope this is the case.

Wotherspiniesta
03-06-2012, 10:37 AM
I really hope this is the case.

Is Brown not out of contract anyway?

Get him out. Once a jambo, always a jambo. Guaranteed he had a wee celebratory drink on the 19th.

hibsmad
03-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Get him out. Once a jambo, always a jambo. Guaranteed he had a wee celebratory drink on the 19th.

I would think he probably is. People assume that he will join Jeffries at Dunfermline and this may well happen, however his current post at Hibs will be better paid so if Fenlon wants him to stay then I think that he will.

In many ways I don't blame him for his split loyalties type comments leading up to the final as he was being honest. The fact is though that if that's how he feels then he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near ER unless it's in the opposition dug out. I would like as many of the current squad to leave as possible (retaining McPake being the exception), however if you allowed me to guarantee one person to be leaving I would choose Brown.

Like many I am finding it hard after the final and trying to be as positive as possible. I will find being positive a whole lot easier next season if I know everyone in the Hibs coaching staff are 100% behind Hibs and want nothing more than to stick it right up they maroon *******s!

Hibiza
03-06-2012, 03:12 PM
hopefully.

Eyrie
03-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Should this be headed "Greggs" or "Wishful Thinking"?

Hibby Kay-Yay
03-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Mark Brown or Billy Brown? Let's not assume it's only one we're talking about here

Titch
03-06-2012, 03:36 PM
I thought he had already signed for the dandys

frazeHFC
03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
I thought he had signed for Aberdeen too, but just saw this.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/aberdeen-announce-jonny-hayes-agreement-only-for-winger-to-deny-story-1-2328108

Still can't see it, but would love it to happen!

Hibernia Na Eir
03-06-2012, 03:47 PM
did he not say earlier last week that he hadn't signed for anyone?

Jim44
03-06-2012, 03:57 PM
The deal with Aberdeen will probably go ahead when he returns from holiday. Hayes quite rightly is being cautious and guarded until he puts pen to paper. Until then it's in his interest to keep the issue open as another club might just come along with a better deal. Nice if it was Hibs, but I don't think I'd get my hopes up too much.

bingo70
03-06-2012, 04:01 PM
The deal with Aberdeen will probably go ahead when he returns from holiday. Hayes quite rightly is being cautious and guarded until he puts pen to paper. Until then it's in his interest to keep the issue open as another club might just come along with a better deal. Nice if it was Hibs, but I don't think I'd get my hopes up too much.

If it was me and they had announced i'd signed when i hadn't i'd be pretty pissed off that they may have effected any other potential interest.

I think now would be a good time to gazump Aberdeen as if there were other similar offers he may be interested in hearing them. If it was inevitable he was going to sign for them i don't think he would have denied the story so publicly

Wotherspiniesta
03-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Mark Brown or Billy Brown? Let's not assume it's only one we're talking about here

Billy.

He was probably pissing himself laughing that night.

Never liked him.

bingo70
03-06-2012, 04:35 PM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=121&fid=18&sty=2&act=1&mid=2114656208

according to the carlisle fans the boy Michalek is pish, apparently only played so many games as he was there highest earner.

Normally i'm pretty optimistic about potential signings and look for the positives in there games but more often than not when fans of the players previous clubs slate the player they're normally right.

ScottB
03-06-2012, 04:47 PM

according to the carlisle fans the boy Michalek is pish, apparently only played so many games as he was there highest earner.

Normally i'm pretty optimistic about potential signings and look for the positives in there games but more often than not when fans of the players previous clubs slate the player they're normally right.

On the other hand, we slated boys like Vaz Te...

Who knows, I'm happy to judge newcomers on how they do with us, clean slate and all that!

The_Horde
03-06-2012, 04:53 PM

Sean ohanlon springs to mind.

bingo70
03-06-2012, 05:01 PM

Who knows, I'm happy to judge newcomers on how they do with us, clean slate and all that!

I know it's not always the case and there are other examples, Rankin to dundee utd is another one so i'm not about to start protesting at the gates at east mains, hopefully if he does sign he's great for us and i won't judge him until he's played a few games for us.

I am just a bit concerned though, after that final and the season we had last season this transfer window is absolutely massive for us so i was wanting us to be signing players from clubs where the fans were dissappointed to be losing them as they were good players so to be signing someone that carlisle fans are delighted to be losing has got me thinking "here we go again".

;3253502']Sean ohanlon springs to mind.

Yup, there's been a few.

It's not always the case but it's given me cause for concern.

Ferryhibby
03-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I remember when Simon Brown signed for us most of the colchester fans were crying coz theyd lost a great keeper.........

alfieboi75
03-06-2012, 07:04 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18318426

know **** all bout him...so beginning to wonder which club it might just be....

Squealing pig
03-06-2012, 07:10 PM
hes scottish if he was irish maybe thought feblon knew him doubt he knows a non league scot playing in england.

marinello59
03-06-2012, 07:12 PM
hes scottish if he was irish maybe thought feblon knew him doubt he knows a non league scot playing in england.

You ain't hopeful about our prospects under Fenlon then? :wink:

Squealing pig
03-06-2012, 07:34 PM
yep i am hopeful just think this guy maybe under his radar up until now. big slovakian defender sound good on wiki, would have liked to see hayes along with mcpake being kept on. i think fenlon did well signing up doyle think he will be a big player next season. also need a gd experienced goalie who is safe hands.

Hibeesmad
03-06-2012, 10:08 PM
So when do we think the first signing will be revealed?

jamieross
03-06-2012, 11:32 PM
So when do we think the first signing will be revealed?

Probably June 8th. If we do get Mcpake, they can announce new signings etc and use the big man to advertise the strip, seeing as hes already been photographed in it.

Hibeesmad
04-06-2012, 12:44 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4353788/Slovak-back-in-Fenlons-plans.html

The Scottish sun I know....but they think we are In for that Slovakian cb, mcpake and the possibility of Tom soares!

Leishy1995
04-06-2012, 12:47 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4353788/Slovak-back-in-Fenlons-plans.html

The Scottish sun I know....but they think we are In for that Slovakian cb, mcpake and the possibility of Tom soares!

That unfit waster. I want to be nice and say maybe with a bit of pre season but no. Not this.

calumb
04-06-2012, 12:54 AM
That unfit waster. I want to be nice and say maybe with a bit of pre season but no. Not this.

Hopefully just the sun putting 2 and 2 together.

EK_Hibs
04-06-2012, 01:05 AM
and the possibility of tom soares!

nnnnoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Leishy1995
04-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Hopefully just the sun putting 2 and 2 together.

I hope he becomes a lost player in the footballing world.

calumb
04-06-2012, 01:09 AM
I hope he becomes a lost player in the footballing world.

Aye and hopefully he will take Mark Brown with him because if we re-sign that pair we are going to be in
for another long season

Persevere80
04-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Big ross tokley? only got offered 1 year contract with inverness but turned it down. we always seem to be looking fo a rb ever since whittaker left. he can also cover us for a cb if needed.

soupy
04-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Big ross tokley? only got offered 1 year contract with inverness but turned it down. we always seem to be looking fo a rb ever since whittaker left. he can also cover us for a cb if needed.

He's a jambo!!!! If nobody wants BB they're no gony want Tokley.

Persevere80
04-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Ouch, Scrub that idea straight away then.

soupy
04-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Ouch, Scrub that idea straight away then.

Good lad :-)

Andy74
04-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Our only creative player when less than half fit. If he gets fit he could be a cracking player. Big IF though.

What makes you think he is a waster? Apart from maybe laziness on your behalf.

Leishy1995
04-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Our only creative player when less than half fit. If he gets fit he could be a cracking player. Big IF though.

Waster football talent wise. If I had the ability to play football for a premier league club and I got loaned out I'd try much harder. If he's fit, I'm sure he'd do a bit better

JimBHibees
04-06-2012, 10:38 AM
He's a jambo!!!! If nobody wants BB they're no gony want Tokley.

Dont care if he is a jambo or not, do care that he is very slow, getting on a bit and not the greatest defender.

Elephant Stone
04-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Our only creative player when less than half fit.If he gets fit he could be a cracking player. Big IF though.

We didn't have any creative players last season.

soupy
04-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Dont care if he is a jambo or not, do care that he is very slow, getting on a bit and not the greatest defender.

Aye I agree with you, was just pointing out that BB isn't wanted near easter rd by many on here, simply because he was/is a yam, that's all. :-)

jdships
04-06-2012, 10:46 AM

:thumbsup:
Can't think of anything he " would bring to the table " :confused:
Why this obsession with every player who gets released/ won't sign a new contract be he 19 or 39 ? :rolleyes:

easty
04-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Aye I agree with you, was just pointing out that BB isn't wanted near easter rd by many on here, simply because he was/is a yam, that's all. :-)

BB could have the Yams badge tattooed on each of his arse cheeks and go home each night and pray in front of a poster of mad Vlad standing on Mowgli's heid.....I wouldn't care as long as when he was working at Hibs, he was making us a better side. He's been here for ages and done the square root of **** all.

soupy
04-06-2012, 10:58 AM
BB could have the Yams badge tattooed on each of his arse cheeks and go home each night and pray in front of a poster of mad Vlad standing on Mowgli's heid.....I wouldn't care as long as when he was working at Hibs, he was making us a better side. He's been here for ages and done the square root of **** all.

Nout to do wi the playing staff then?

BigKev
04-06-2012, 10:59 AM

I tend to agree with you. Soares had barely kicked a ball in 3 years before coming to up and showed flashes of quality. I'd give him another chance. With Griffiths gone we have no set piece specialist and Soares can take a decent set play. I wouldn't be disappointed to see him offered a 1 year deal with another years option. Fenlon evidently rates him and if he's worked hard pre season who knows.

easty
04-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Nout to do wi the playing staff then?

No, it has plenty to do with the playing staff. Which is why we should be getting rid of most of them too.

Soupy and Billy Brown sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. :greengrin

brog
04-06-2012, 11:03 AM

I think his problems are in his head Andy. I saw him a lot when he was the new star at Palace a few years back & I always thought him overrated, especially by himself!! He has talent but needs to apply it a lot more than he has in his career to date. If he joined us & showed the right attitude he'd be an asset but - - - - !!!

bingo70
04-06-2012, 11:07 AM
I tend to agree with you. Soares had barely kicked a ball in 3 years before coming to up and showed flashes of quality. I'd give him another chance. With Griffiths gone we have no set piece specialist and Soares can take a decent set play. I wouldn't be disappointed to see him offered a 1 year deal with another years option. Fenlon evidently rates him and if he's worked hard pre season who knows.

Was Griffiths really a set piece specialist? Sometimes took an ok corner but in general I thought he was pretty pish from set pieces, especially from free kicks.

HibbyAndy
04-06-2012, 11:27 AM
No, it has plenty to do with the playing staff. Which is why we should be getting rid of most of them too.

:hilarious:thumbsup:

Aken Soupy, Bit of a radge like but defo a good guy:cb

Bostonhibby
04-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I think his problems are in his head Andy. I saw him a lot when he was the new star at Palace a few years back & I always thought him overrated, especially by himself!! He has talent but needs to apply it a lot more than he has in his career to date. If he joined us & showed the right attitude he'd be an asset but - - - - !!!

:agree: Funny, I recall posting below at the time and my mates view was based on when Soares was fit and playing. An enigma.

Tin hat firmly on.

Working in Bromley Kent today, Palace territory and am with a guy who is a serious Palace fan - view of Soares -

"lots of fans thought he was good, others thought he got a bit lazy. very quick but clueless with it, dipped in and out of games, to be honest I was delighted when he got a surprise England u21 cap as it boosted his value when we needed the cash the most, we haven't missed him. Could do well up there but not sure he will fancy it if defenders are physical"

Just passing on info and I hope Tom does well with us.

S.sct
04-06-2012, 12:36 PM

I know this is purely speculation by the **** but.....Soares would be a total no no for me. Certainly NOT the type of player we need or the type PF described that we need. Try not to read too much into rumours but signing this guy would fill me with dread for the new season.

silverhibee
04-06-2012, 12:39 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibs-move-for-james-mcpake-on-hold-1-2337199

Dashing Bob S
04-06-2012, 12:42 PM
It would be wonderful to have Soares signed for a year, then he can go on to Partick Thistle, Forfar and Whitehill Welfare.

This guy is a serial failure who is, in league terms, heading south, and whether it happens here on in England is pretty much irrelevant. I feel that we shouldn't be a stepping stone in yet another man's relentless quest for total obscurity.

easty
04-06-2012, 12:42 PM
:agree: Funny, I recall posting below at the time and my mates view was based on when Soares was fit and playing. An enigma.

Tin hat firmly on.

Working in Bromley Kent today, Palace territory and am with a guy who is a serious Palace fan - view of Soares -

"lots of fans thought he was good, others thought he got a bit lazy. very quick but clueless with it, dipped in and out of games, to be honest I was delighted when he got a surprise England u21 cap as it boosted his value when we needed the cash the most, we haven't missed him. Could do well up there but not sure he will fancy it if defenders are physical"

Just passing on info and I hope Tom does well with us.

I'd disregard that opinion simply because he calls him very quick. I would question whether he'd ever actually seen Soares play!

I dont think Soares is a bad player, but he's definitly lazy. I just dont think we can afford to have a player in our midfield who isn't going to track back.

DMR1875
04-06-2012, 12:52 PM
If Fenlon goes for Soares that's it with this club! What did he do last season? Nowt! I hope it's only speculation for this lazy third class no mark.

Posh Swanny
04-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I know this is purely speculation by the **** but.....Soares would be a total no no for me. Certainly NOT the type of player we need or the type PF described that we need. Try not to read too much into rumours but signing this guy would fill me with dread for the new season.

Same was presumably said by many on here about Vaz Te last summer.

DH1875
04-06-2012, 01:12 PM

Does/Did Darren Jackson have a Yams tattoo when he was playing for us? I'm not saying he did, probably just a stupid rumor but it is something I've heard.
Point being, as long as their doing a job. I don't care who they are or where they've come from.

Baldy Foghorn
04-06-2012, 01:26 PM

I would be disappointed if Soares signed. Apart from Killie and Inverness away where he showed glimpses, I have not been impressed by him. He was part of one of our weakest midfield's in a long time, and would be a no from me also....The sight of our midfield giving Black the freedom of Hampden, should be enough to dissuade PF from making a move

lucky
04-06-2012, 01:30 PM
If Fenlon goes for Soares that's it with this club! What did he do last season? Nowt! I hope it's only speculation for this lazy third class no mark.

Bye Bye. So do you want the manager to run every signing by you?

Persevere80
04-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Whittaker is a yam is he no, he done a job for us.

Hermit Crab
04-06-2012, 01:38 PM

Is he not a rangers fan??

Kato
04-06-2012, 01:46 PM

Almost.

He is a Jambo.

Thecat23
04-06-2012, 01:53 PM

Sat and had a drink with him one night. He was a Jambo growing up as a lad. Said you can't really support another team rather than the one you play for. Spoke highly of Hibs and said he loved every min here. Decent guy and very grounded.

Bostonhibby
04-06-2012, 02:05 PM
I'd disregard that opinion simply because he calls him very quick. I would question whether he'd ever actually seen Soares play!

I dont think Soares is a bad player, but he's definitly lazy. I just dont think we can afford to have a player in our midfield who isn't going to track back.

:agree: but its past tense, as in was quick when he was at Palace, its a while ago and its pretty clear he is not even quick now on the strength of what we had on the pitch. Maybe there is a player in there but don't think we can afford the luxury of trying to find out.

soupy
04-06-2012, 02:11 PM

Ha ha, stop it :-)

Hibs7
04-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Soares......... noooooooooo not what Hibs need.
And Rod ... stop pissing about with McPake's signature, get it done or lose half your supporters.

Sammy7nil
04-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Tom Soares PLEASE Gawd NO !

Total waste of space who would think he is Billy Big Baws at wee Hibs, he is EXACTLY what we don't need

bingo70
04-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Soares wasn't that bad, at least he scored a couple, came close to scoring a few more and created a few chances, Aberdeen game at pittodrie case in point, I wasn't there but I read how bad he was, didn't offer anything etc but when I saw the highlights he would have scored if Reynolds never scored the og and he created a couple of other chances.

That said if we don't sign him I won't be arsed

AlbertK86
04-06-2012, 03:21 PM

Whittaker

Defo a Jambo

Famous5forever
04-06-2012, 03:31 PM

Total waste of space who would think he is Billy Big Baws at wee Hibs, he is EXACTLY what we don't need

Says in the news Paddy is considering making him an offer.

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/football/hibs/hibs-move-for-james-mcpake-on-hold-1-2337199

seven nowt
04-06-2012, 03:36 PM

I never! The guy was one of the only good football players we had, it was actually pretty obvious in my eyes.

Spike Mandela
04-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Says in the news Paddy is considering making him an offer.

That offer should be pick a window your leaving.

Onion
04-06-2012, 03:38 PM

:agree:One of the things that makes the 19 May just about bearable is the thought that the majority of that team will never play for Hibs again. Most of them should never be allowed near ER let along the jersey. To even suggest that Soares - one of the laziest, ineffective players I've had the misfortune to watch playing for Hibs (in arguably the worst m/f) is a sick joke. Hibs have to set new standards at the club - way higher than guys like Soares.

S.sct
04-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Same was presumably said by many on here about Vaz Te last summer.

Vaz Te was a better player, this guy was injured more than fit, appeared slow and drifted out of games. We can get better than him from the SFL clubs. Come on have you forgotten last season already. New start, new mindset and pace please. Not Soares.

gegs70
04-06-2012, 04:11 PM
It had in the EEN today that fenlon had a decision to make on Soares. Personally I dont think Soarez is good enough.

Billychaotic182
04-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Soares looked good in two games. Killie and ICT I think And then after that he looked lazy, slow and acted like he didn't give a fudge about hibs. However from what I can make from watching the games he played in is that he is rated by Fenlon. Not 100% sure but I think he was given the armband against Aberdeen away. So if Fenlon was given the chance I think he would take him