PDA

View Full Version : A look a Hibs transfer record over the years....does money always bring you quality?

GreenCastle
04-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Been looking at this website - http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/hibernian-fc/transfers-alle/verein_903.html

Seems to be pretty reliable with transfers over the years.

Things to notice -

Amount of money we have taken in compared to spent
Several fees paid for players who we then sold on for more/a profit - De La Cruz being a prime example
Several good free transfers - which means wages paid were probably higher as no fee paid
High level of player turnover - we need a set team to give us some stability
Many players brought in who were simply not good enough - managers choice or scouting system in place not good enough ?
GOC agent is Gary Mackay ?
Money does usually bring you quality but all over the world there are examples that it doesn't always guarentee success in a team. The wages of players is a big issue though these days - something Hibs seem to have lowered over the years and as a result quality has dropped.

Thoughts?

Higgy115
04-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Excellent reading, prices seem a bit inflated though....

Allen Orman - £704,000 :confused:

GreenCastle
04-01-2012, 04:37 PM

I noticed that too - think it was more like 100,000 he was signed for :agree:

Jones28
04-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Whole squads have come and gone in the space of 1 or 2 windows :confused:

We must have a poor scouting network, if you're signing and getting rid of the same players within 2 or 3 seasons!

Godsahibby
04-01-2012, 04:42 PM
£352k for Kevin Nicol. did he even ever get a game. I remember he being out on loan in Norway but did he play in the first team?

The_Exile
04-01-2012, 04:44 PM
We got money for Shelton Martis? As in.......actual money? Rod Petrie, all is forgiven, absolute genius :not worth

skipster7
04-01-2012, 04:45 PM

cant be right also
im sure we got Durie for £65,000.good read though

Aldo
04-01-2012, 04:46 PM
cant be right also
im sure we got Durie for £65,000.good read though

We bought him for that price but sold him to Chelsea for 381,00 or something like that.

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2012, 04:47 PM
We got money for Shelton Martis? As in.......actual money? Rod Petrie, all is forgiven, absolute genius :not worth

I'd take him now. :boo hoo:

Makaveli
04-01-2012, 05:02 PM
For all the chat about McLeish leaving us in the sh** with the wage expenditure for the Sauzees and Latapys, from 98/99 to 02/03 we had a net transfer income of £5.95m (their DLC figure is wrong). That works out at around £23k/week over those five years.

Factor in the decent cup runs and reasonable attendances... how were the finances so bad?

More than half of the transfer profit in that period was from players signed and re-sold (DLC, Laursen) and most of the rest from Miller. All terribly simplistic I know, but it supports that idea that buying decent, proven players beats signing crap ones on Bosman. See also the doubling our money or better with Michael O'Neil and Goram then the same with Bamba and Stokes.

Despite the prevailing attitude on here, according to those figures whenever we have paid decent transfer fees - actually speculated to accumulate - it's worked.

pentlando
04-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Any chance these figures include add ons that were received or paid after the initial transfer? That could be whats skewing them, cause the figure for fletcher was 3.5 to burnley right, but their figure makes sense if we include the add on from his sale to wolves.

Andy74
04-01-2012, 05:08 PM
For all the chat about McLeish leaving us in the sh** with the wage expenditure for the Sauzees and Latapys, from 98/99 to 02/03 we had a net transfer income of £5.95m (their DLC figure is wrong). That works out at around £23k/week over those five years.

Factor in the decent cup runs and reasonable attendances... how were the finances so bad?

More than half of the transfer profit in that period was from players signed and re-sold (DLC, Laursen) and most of the rest from Miller. All terribly simplistic I know, but it supports that idea that buying decent, proven players beats signing crap ones on Bosman. See also the doubling our money or better with Michael O'Neil and Goram then the same with Bamba and Stokes.

Despite the prevailing attitude on here, according to those figures whenever we have paid decent transfer fees - actually speculated to accumulate - it's worked.

There used to be a proper transfer system pre Bosman. Now you can pay a big fee and players walk for nothing at the other end.

The biggest fees we've taken in are from home grown players or players we picked up for free or cheap.

GreenCastle
04-01-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't think it's the transfer fee's which are the issue - more the wages being offered has dropped drastically.

Bit off topic but who do we think was Hibs highest paid player ever ?

Currently you can argue the team is being over paid for the dross on show.

There needs to be a balance - decent players brought in with leadership - some experience - and a hunger to succeed and create a bond between fans and players again while also bringing improved results on the pitch - something as fans we are paying to see :agree:

Makaveli
04-01-2012, 05:13 PM
There used to be a proper transfer system pre Bosman. Now you can pay a big fee and players walk for nothing at the other end.

The biggest fees we've taken in are from home grown players or players we picked up for free or cheap.

Bosman came in to effect before most of the players mentioned, but I take the point. Transfer fees for good players are much higher across the board today, so relatively speaking the £2m deals for Laursen and De La Cruz in 2002 comfortably outstrip everything else bar Fletcher and Brown.

KeithTheHibby
04-01-2012, 05:19 PM
In season 80/81 we signed an Ian Black from Hearts...:hmmm:

Good site though despite some flawed transfer figures.

scoopyboy
04-01-2012, 05:35 PM
In season 80/81 we signed an Ian Black from Hearts...:hmmm:

Good site though despite some flawed transfer figures.

History about to repeat itself?

Last father and son with the same name = Joe McBride?

big-mo
04-01-2012, 06:22 PM
The amounts quoted on that site may have to be taken with a pinch of salt, as a number of contributors have pointed out the figures quoted for player like de la Cruz are way of the make from those reported at the time. Anyway, the site has also missed a number of seasons like 1968/69 when we sold Colin Stein to the Gers for £100,000.

However, if we take the amounts that they say we have spent and received, since 1968 Hibs have spent just under £6m but have taken in £34.8m, a profit of nearly £29m, not quite the amount of Hearts debt but still a substantial sum. I would also bet that this figure would be more than any other SPL club, including the OF.

KeithTheHibby
04-01-2012, 06:25 PM
History about to repeat itself?

Last father and son with the same name = Joe McBride?

I seriously doubt it Scoop, yams will demand a fee for him which we won't pay.

scoopyboy
04-01-2012, 06:28 PM
I seriously doubt it Scoop, yams will demand a fee for him which we won't pay.

pre-contract now or Bosman in summer?

Dinkydoo
04-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Anyone know whether Yantorno is still playing?

Always liked him at Gretna despite the injury problems; could use his creativity now!

I don't think he ever played more than 3 - 4 games for us in the time he was here - after he'd recovered from his injury, iirc.

Edit: 7 appearances for us and currently playing for Sud America in the Uruguayan 2nd division.

yekimevol
04-01-2012, 07:02 PM
money does bring you quality. but only when money is spent well. our clubs problem is identifying the correct players to bring in i.e. killie, st mirren, ICT and motherwell bring in heffernan, thompson, tade and higdon. whist we brought on agogo.

we can see that were spending the fourth highest on wages in the league the problem is that its being spent on nonsense.

GreenCastle
04-01-2012, 07:06 PM
money does bring you quality. but only when money is spent well. our clubs problem is identifying the correct players to bring in i.e. killie, st mirren, ICT and motherwell bring in heffernan, thompson, tade and higdon. whist we brought on agogo.

we can see that were spending the fourth highest on wages in the league the problem is that its being spent on nonsense.

I hear this all the time - are we really ? Is there any proof ?

What about Dundee Utd or Aberdeen ?

Or some of the money St Johnstone are paying top players ? We missed out on Cillian Sheridian did we not due to money? Do they have a bigger gap in wage difference rather than an average of 3,000 per week for example?

I agree with the first part of your post though.

3pm
04-01-2012, 07:29 PM
pre-contract now or Bosman in summer?

Do you think this is possible? You've hinted a few times if memory serves me right.

No reason I disbelieve you like, I'd just be surprised!

scoopyboy
04-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Do you think this is possible? You've hinted a few times if memory serves me right.

No reason I disbelieve you like, I'd just be surprised!

He has said recently in the company of his agent, Hibs players and Hearts players that he would have no problem signing for Hibs.

In fact I think a poster on here IIRC was the taxi driver that took them from the Living Room to the Kweillinn for their night out.

GreenCastle
05-01-2012, 06:36 PM
He has said recently in the company of his agent, Hibs players and Hearts players that he would have no problem signing for Hibs.

In fact I think a poster on here IIRC was the taxi driver that took them from the Living Room to the Kweillinn for their night out.

Can't see Black ever coming to Hibs - even though it's exactly what we need.