PDA

View Full Version : NHC Statement from Luis Suarez

H18sry
03-01-2012, 05:47 PM
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/statement-from-luis-suarez Not appealing his ban

Cropley10
03-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Which is the right thing to do.

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Very poor statement in my opinion!

H18sry
03-01-2012, 05:59 PM
It is our strongly held conviction that the Football Association and the panel it selected constructed a highly subjective case against Luis Suarez based on an accusation that was ultimately unsubstantiated.

The FA and the panel chose to consistently and methodically accept and embrace arguments leading to a set of conclusions that found Mr. Suarez to "probably" be guilty while in the same manner deciding to completely dismiss the testimony that countered their overall suppositions.
Mr. Evra was deemed to be credible in spite of admitting that he himself used insulting and threatening words towards Luis and that his initial charge as to the word used was somehow a mistake.

The facts in this case were that an accusation was made, a rebuttal was given and there was video of the match. The remaining facts came from testimony of people who did not corroborate any accusation made by Mr. Evra.

In its determination to prove its conclusions to the public through a clearly subjective 115-page document, the FA panel has damaged the reputation of one the Premier League's best players, deciding he should be punished and banned for perhaps a quarter of a season. This case has also provided a template in which a club's rival can bring about a significant ban for a top player without anything beyond an accusation.

Nevertheless, there are ultimately larger issues than whether or not Luis Suarez has been treated fairly by the Football Association in this matter. There are important points we want to make today that overshadow what has occurred during the past two months.

The issue of race in sports, as in other industries, has a very poor history. Far too often, and in far too many countries, the issues of racism and discrimination have been covered over or ignored.

In America, where Liverpool ownership resides, there was a shameful bigotry that prevented black athletes from competing at the highest levels for decades.

English football has led the world in welcoming all nationalities and creeds into its Premier League and its leagues below, and Liverpool Football Club itself has been a leader in taking a progressive stance on issues of race and inclusion. The Luis Suarez case has to end so that the Premier League, the Football Association and the Club can continue the progress that has been made and will continue to be made and not risk a perception, at least by some, that would diminish our commitment on these issues.

Liverpool Football Club have supported Luis Suarez because we fundamentally do not believe that Luis on that day - or frankly any other - did or would engage in a racist act. Notably, his actions on and off the pitch with his teammates and in the community have demonstrated his belief that all athletes can play together and that the colour of a person's skin is irrelevant.

Continuing a fight for justice in this particular case beyond today would only obscure the fact that the Club wholeheartedly supports the efforts of the Football Association, the Football League and the Premier League to put an end to any form of racism in English football.

It is time to put the Luis Suarez matter to rest and for all of us, going forward, to work together to stamp out racism in every form both inside and outside the sport.

It is for this reason that we will not appeal the eight-game suspension of Luis Suarez.

Wotherspiniesta
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Very poor statement in my opinion!

:agree:

Lost me after the first patrionising line.

How the **** is England a "small country"?

Hibs Class
03-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Statements issued by both Suarez and the club. Both utterly classless and clueless. Disgraceful.

CallumLaidlaw
03-01-2012, 06:18 PM
I thought I was Reading a Romanov statement!!

SidBurns
03-01-2012, 06:25 PM
His first game back will be against Manure on 11th February - LET THE GAMES BEGIN! :o)

AgentDaleCooper
03-01-2012, 06:40 PM

how the **** did you get that it was England he was referring to? :wink:

Sir David Gray
03-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Kind of makes their t-shirt stunt the other week look even more pathetic that it did at the time.

As for the "YNWA" signature at the bottom of the article...:zzzzz!:

AgentDaleCooper
03-01-2012, 06:49 PM
also, wtf was disgusting about those statements? words are just words, it's social conventions that change their meanings, and if one has not been made aware of the common usage and connotations of a word, then it's hard to see how one could be justifiably landed in huge trouble for it. it could indeed be the case (i'm hypothesising here, as i have no idea) that in uruguay, racism is far less of a problem, i.e. race not being problematic or sensitive issue, and thus referring to someone in such a way is equivalent to calling someone 'blondie' or 'big man' or whatever.

in this case, it needn't be such a massive deal IMO :dunno:

some people enjoy getting upset though...

CallumLaidlaw
03-01-2012, 06:54 PM
also, wtf was disgusting about those statements? words are just words, it's social conventions that change their meanings, and if one has not been made aware of the common usage and connotations of a word, then it's hard to see how one could be justifiably landed in huge trouble for it. it could indeed be the case (i'm hypothesising here, as i have no idea) that in uruguay, racism is far less of a problem, i.e. race not being problematic or sensitive issue, and thus referring to someone in such a way is equivalent to calling someone 'blondie' or 'big man' or whatever.

in this case, it needn't be such a massive deal IMO :dunno:

some people enjoy getting upset though...

I find it hard to believe that any large club like liverpool don't spend some time with any new foreign signings going over any differences in culture

Onceinawhile
03-01-2012, 06:55 PM

Isn't that a saurez statement? And he says he was brought up in a small country... e.g Uruguay. Which is about sizes with Scotland. So as far as I can see that's fair.

AgentDaleCooper
03-01-2012, 07:00 PM
I find it hard to believe that any large club like liverpool don't spend some time with any new foreign signings going over any differences in culture
so you think there WAS a racist motivation to his comment to evra, and that he has deceived liverpool and lied outrageously over the last few weeks?

THIS, i find hard to believe. surely if this had been the case, he'd have wanted to keep as low profile as possible throughout the episode.

PeeJay
03-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Relatively speaking - England is a small country, surely? http://www.mongabay.com/igapo/world_statistics_by_area.htm

hibsbollah
03-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Liverpool FC used to be an institution you had to respect, whether you like the team or not. Not any longer.

HIBERNIAN-0762
03-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Liverpool back their childish best under Dalglish

:rolleyes:

AgentDaleCooper
03-01-2012, 07:11 PM
i properly can't understand what everyone is so appalled by :dunno:

Hibs Class
03-01-2012, 07:12 PM
so you think there WAS a racist motivation to his comment to evra, and that he has deceived liverpool and lied outrageously over the last few weeks?

THIS, i find hard to believe. surely if this had been the case, he'd have wanted to keep as low profile as possible throughout the episode.

Why do you find it hard to believe? It certainly seens a likelier explanation than that offered by suarez in his defence.

Wotherspiniesta
03-01-2012, 07:15 PM
how the **** did you get that it was England he was referring to? :wink:

Isn't that a saurez statement? And he says he was brought up in a small country... e.g Uruguay. Which is about sizes with Scotland. So as far as I can see that's fair.

Suarez : "Like many of you I was born into a very humble family, in a working class neighbourhood, in a small country"

Like I said, seems quite patrionising.

AgentDaleCooper
03-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Why do you find it hard to believe? It certainly seens a likelier explanation than that offered by suarez in his defence.

from wikipedia (though it's regarding argentina, i'd imagine they are culturally similar in the way we are with england and other english speaking countries):

In Spanish, negro literally means "black male" and negra means "black female". Negro and negra are widely-used terms in Argentina, across all social classes, including in those classes which are referred to as negro and negra by other social groups. Negro is also one of the most common nicknames, with no offensive meaning.

seems to chime with what suarez was saying, no? :dunno:

leither17
03-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Suarez : "Like many of you I was born into a very humble family, in a working class neighbourhood, in a small country"

But I was born and raised learning what respect, manners and sacrifice mean

thats the next line of it

AgentDaleCooper

i think you're worrying a little bit too much about that - and besides, you don't need to be a racist to be patronising, do you.

Broken Gnome
i properly can't understand what everyone is so appalled by :dunno:

Accepting a ban under the insistence Suarez has still done nothing wrong, despite it being common knowledge now that he AGGRESSIVELY used the word negro, probably leaves a bad taste in the mouth with a lot of people.

AgentDaleCooper
03-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Accepting a ban under the insistence Suarez has still done nothing wrong, despite it being common knowledge now that he AGGRESSIVELY used the word negro, probably leaves a bad taste in the mouth with a lot of people.

source? are you confusing 'knowledge' with 'assumption'?

Wotherspiniesta
03-01-2012, 07:19 PM
But I was born and raised learning what respect, manners and sacrifice mean

thats the next line of it

When Evra challenged him to repeat the answer and said he would "punch him", Suarez said: "I don't speak to blacks."

Aye, very respectful.

AgentDaleCooper
03-01-2012, 07:21 PM
When Evra challenged him to repeat the answer and said he would "punch him", Suarez said: "I don't speak to blacks."

Aye, very respectful.

if that is the case, then fair enough, he should be hammered.

still though...source?

Sir David Gray
03-01-2012, 07:22 PM

still though...source?

It's in the FA's 115 page report on the incident, which Liverpool received last week.

Wotherspiniesta
03-01-2012, 07:23 PM

still though...source?

Have you even bothered reading anything on this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16375963.stm

Hibs Class
03-01-2012, 07:24 PM
from wikipedia (though it's regarding argentina, i'd imagine they are culturally similar in the way we are with england and other english speaking countries):

seems to chime with what suarez was saying, no? :dunno:

Suarez described his language / use of the term as friendly and conciliatory. This was rejected given that it took place in the context of an acrimonious argument. I don't imagine too many people will be persuaded by suarez's evidence, bearing in mind it was based on balance of probabilities rather than beyond a reasonable doubt.

AgentDaleCooper
03-01-2012, 07:26 PM
It's in the FA's 115 page report on the incident, which Liverpool received last week.

i can't find a quote. the closest i found is this (from the FA report):

“Mr. Suarez used insulting words towards Mr. Evra during the match contrary to FA Rule E3(1)”. The FA added “The insulting words used by Mr. Suarez included a reference to Mr. Evra’s colour within the meaning of Rule E3(2)”.

this could still be true without contradicting suarez's defence.

AgentDaleCooper
03-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Have you even bothered reading anything on this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16375963.stm

i blame google :offski:

that's a pretty damning account. i stand corrected :aok:

Viva_Palmeiras
03-01-2012, 09:57 PM
i blame google :offski:

that's a pretty damning account. i stand corrected :aok:

He talks of the word "Negro". Don't know the case details but believe "negrito" was used - the diminutive form.

My wife is from brazil and reckons whilst it can be used in an affectionate way that in this context was most likely use in a derogatory, condescending or patronising way.
Crap evasive statement imo

lapsedhibee
03-01-2012, 10:05 PM
My wife is from brazil
Would you mind asking her what she calls Brazil nuts? It's always bugged me.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Would you mind asking her what she calls Brazil nuts? It's always bugged me.

Castanha do Para'. Nuts of Para' (a state in Brazil)

lucky
03-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Glad he has accepted the ban but his statement is very poor and the behaviour of KD and Liverpool is just as bad with the T-shirts. Clearly thought he would get away with it by speaking Spanish but Evra is clearly and intelligent man who is fluent in at least 3 languages.

Hibbyradge
03-01-2012, 11:00 PM
The report states that, after being tackled by the Uruguayan, Evra asked Suarez why he had kicked him, to which the forward replied in Spanish: "Because you are black."

Suarez is said to have used the term "negro" seven times in around two minutes.

In giving the reasons for the length of the ban, the report said: "Given the number of times that Mr Suarez used the word 'negro', his conduct is significantly more serious than a one-off use of a racially offensive term and amounts to an aggravating factor."

JimBHibees
04-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Glad he has accepted the ban but his statement is very poor and the behaviour of KD and Liverpool is just as bad with the T-shirts. Clearly thought he would get away with it by speaking Spanish but Evra is clearly and intelligent man who is fluent in at least 3 languages.

Totally agree Dalglish and Liverpool are a disgrace with his comments about the facts not being known. Appeal then you clown if you think he has been wronged. He hasnt but you dont have the backbone to admit that you and your club and players made a complete fool of yourselves with the t-shirt nonsense.

This sort of thing needs stamped out and strong leadership from key people in the game like Dalglish. The irony of his continual defence which he now doesnt need to provide as they havent appealed on the same day as the Lawrence killers are sentenced shouldnt be missed.

cad
05-01-2012, 02:17 AM
http://www.empireofthekop.com/anfield/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/image-5.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/156vazp.jpg

Liverpool will seek urgent talks with the Football Association chairman, David Bernstein, to demand reform of the disciplinary procedures that led to the suspension of Luis Suárez.

Although the Merseyside club have now accepted the eight-game ban, their anger at the guilty verdict has not diminished and the means by which the punishment was reached remains a matter of dispute.

Senior club officials are to contact Bernstein to register a series of complaints about the handling of the Suárez case, and request a thorough inquiry into how future incidents of this nature are dealt with.

They will even consider asking the FA if it would be prepared to take such a case to the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for Sport to enable a player to clear his name beyond the English governing body’s jurisdiction. However, for Liverpool to have taken the Suárez case that far would have required the FA’s agreement.

Liverpool believe judging such an incendiary case involving alleged racial abuse should never have been based on ‘the balance of probability’ as the Commission was entitled to do. It could be argued a higher threshold of guilt, as will be required in the forthcoming John Terry race abuse case in the criminal courts, is justified.

In a criminal trial, Suárez’s guilt would have had to be established ‘beyond reasonable doubt’ and, such was the seriousness of the charge, Liverpool’s lawyers believe the same weight of evidence should have been required.

Suárez, Liverpool argue, was found guilty on the kind of subjective evidence which would never have been given credibility in a court of law. The club believe Patrice Evra’s allegations would have been thrown out if pursued by the Crown Prosecution Service and believe the same standards should be applied.

Liverpool are also unhappy that the Independent Regulatory Commission, led by Paul Goulding QC, was selected by the FA, which was itself bringing the charges. They feel this represents a conflict of interest where the accusers are in effect selecting the jurors. That brings into dispute the notion of full independence.

Although Liverpool were within their rights to challenge the make-up of the commission and made no representation to oppose its members, they say it would have been pointless to do so because the FA would also have picked its replacements.

For a commission to be genuinely independent, it is Liverpool’s view that the FA should not have jurisdiction on who sits on it.

There are numerous aspects of the 115-page written report which Liverpool continue to find inconsistent with the commission’s findings.

Liverpool are unhappy that Evra was granted three meetings with the FA and given access to video evidence well in advance of the December hearing.

It is Liverpool’s belief that Evra was coached by the FA disciplinary team before meeting the commission, enabling him to piece together his version of events to tally with the footage and appear more consistent in his verbal evidence than he had been in earlier statements.

Suárez, who did not have access to the same video evidence until he sat in front of the commission, according to Liverpool, inevitably had a sketchier memory of what had happened at particular points of the game which had been played two months earlier. This made him seem less sure of what took place at certain moments considered of importance by the commission.

Despite all these concerns, Liverpool still decided not to appeal against the suspension and fine because they felt it would have been an exercise in futility given that they would have been working within the same procedures. A new panel, appointed by the FA, could have reduced the ban but would have had no power to overturn the verdict.

I personally think hes finished in European soccer , I do expect a court case later on ,which I think he will win based on the above .

HH81
05-01-2012, 06:17 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2082524/Patrice-Evra-video-using-n-word-YoutTube.html

cad
05-01-2012, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=HalifaxHibs;3063743]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2082524/Patrice-Evra-video-using-n-word-YoutTube.html[/QUO

And so it begins