PDA

View Full Version : SPL players

PatHead
03-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Must admit I am a bit worried about us potentially signing Hartlepool and league of Ireland players. It is clear we need experience of the SPL players to help get us out of this mess. If we could sign 3 players from other SPL clubs within reason who would you go for? I would look at Ryan Stevenson, Danny Swanston and David Weir (latter on a contract to end of season)

Cropley10
03-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Budgets Pat. All about budgets. We're losing money as it is, so this is the level we're at for now. Who knows the Cov reject and the lad from Hartlepool might be better than Sproule or Hart or OHanlon. In fact I'd wager it can't be that hard to find players better than this lot (plus a few more of Caldos duds).

thebausburst
03-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Must admit I am a bit worried about us potentially signing Hartlepool and league of Ireland players. It is clear we need experience of the SPL players to help get us out of this mess. If we could sign 3 players from other SPL clubs within reason who would you go for? I would look at Ryan Stevenson, Danny Swanston and David Weir (latter on a contract to end of season)

Could not agree more. This has been Hibs problem for ages, rooting around the lower reaches trying to find a diamond in amongst all the rubbish. We would be far better spending whatever we've got on 1 or 2 'quality' players after all that's what Pat promised we were after, though those rumoured hardly sound like they're in that bracket - not being negative just stating a fact anyone knocking about at Coventry/Hartlepool or a journeyman Lithuanian hardly sounds like 'quality'!!

PatHead
03-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Cropley10-Problem is we have been though the potential from lower divisions- Thornhill. Paullson, O'Hanlon, Sodje. Cheaper to buy players who will initially keep us up then get us a 3rd place finish over the next couple of seasons. In the long term cheaper than short term fix

thebausburst
03-01-2012, 06:06 PM
All you need sometimes is 1 quality signing to make a massive difference to a crap team - Steve Archibald anyone?

PatHead
03-01-2012, 06:09 PM
All you need sometimes is 1 quality signing to make a massive difference to a crap team - Steve Archibald anyone? Wee bit on the old side. Can you not suggest someone younger?:wink:

blairwallace
03-01-2012, 06:13 PM
why are people on here so obsessed with players with SPL experience? if we got offered a top player from the EPL would you reject them because they have no SPL experience? as long as they can play decent football and know the game who gives a toss about having SPL experience? most SPL players are gash anyway. I'm personally fully up for good, creative LOI players.

HibsNutter
03-01-2012, 06:13 PM
IMHO we should go down the route of young players that are unlikely to make it at an EPL club but would be good players for us. It has done us a lot of good in the past ie Murphy, Shiels etc..

PatHead
03-01-2012, 06:21 PM
IMHO we should go down the route of young players that are unlikely to make it at an EPL club but would be good players for us. It has done us a lot of good in the past ie Murphy, Shiels etc..

Just like Thornhill, Stephens, Pallson etc who have got us where we are. We need a mix of experience to combine with any youngsters to ensure we stay up.

PatHead
03-01-2012, 06:26 PM
why are people on here so obsessed with players with SPL experience? if we got offered a top player from the EPL would you reject them because they have no SPL experience? as long as they can play decent football and know the game who gives a toss about having SPL experience? most SPL players are gash anyway. I'm personally fully up for good, creative LOI players.

No but back in the real world we aren't going to get a top quality EPL player so I am being realistic. We need a couple of players to provide leadership and move us on.

Over the past couple of years a number of SPL players have made their way down south. Perhaps we could develop some more and improve ourselves in the process.

madabouthibs
03-01-2012, 06:26 PM
I'd sooner have some good potential cocky young LOI lads coming in with ambition and arrogance than a few "experienced" SPL Journeymen..... like for example Michael Hart.
A big Rob Jones type would be a godsend right about now, along with a right back, and maybe a captainy midfieldy type that would shout at players on the park and get them telt! :agree:

justlikebrazil
03-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Must admit I am a bit worried about us potentially signing Hartlepool and league of Ireland players. It is clear we need experience of the SPL players to help get us out of this mess. If we could sign 3 players from other SPL clubs within reason who would you go for? I would look at Ryan Stevenson, Danny Swanston and David Weir (latter on a contract to end of season)Can't agree with you more :top marks

PISTOL1875
03-01-2012, 06:30 PM

Johnny Hayes - ICT
Jim Goodwin - St Mirren
James Fowler - Killie

PISTOL1875
03-01-2012, 06:34 PM

You don't need to sign players from the SPL to get somewhere..Yo just need to be able to spot a player and bring them on..

Craig Levein whilst at Dundee United signed Gomis , Bauben , Swanson and Conway from 1st division sides and these 4 in midfield played in the midfield that won them the Scottish Cup...

PatHead
03-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Johnny Hayes - ICT
Jim Goodwin - St Mirren
James Fowler - Killie

Had thought about Hayes as I have admired him, personally would prefer Stevenson to Goodwin but will conced Fowler who could provide some much needed leadership as well

PatHead
03-01-2012, 06:37 PM
You don't need to sign players from the SPL to get somewhere..Yo just need to be able to spot a player and bring them on..

Craig Levein whilst at Dundee United signed Gomis , Bauben , Swanson and Conway from 1st division sides and these 4 in midfield played in the midfield that won them the Scottish Cup...

Don't disagree as a long term strategy but for this season we need players who would get out of this mess in the short/medium term.