PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hughes Anyone?

H18sry
03-01-2012, 04:18 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16398560.stm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Could he do a job for us?

Reaper
03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
2 years ago I hoped we'd get him. Now, I'm not sure, not seen enough of him. Did he play in the six weeks he was with Motherwell? Don't need another injury prone midfielder who never plays but if he's fit and anything like the player he was, he'd be welcome.

Aldo
03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
2 years ago I hoped we'd get him. Now, I'm not sure, not seen enough of him. Did he play in the six weeks he was with Motherwell? Don't need another injury prone midfielder who never plays but if he's fit and anything like the player he was, he'd be welcome.

As its was mentioned 18 or so months ago. Injury prone yes a very good player on his game. In a word NO.

EK_Hibs
03-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Too fat.

Next!

Hfc_Since1875
04-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Surely hed b worth it till the end of the season! Someone who has a real passing ability! Can control the game and dictate the pace is exactly what we miss! It seems a no brainier to me unless fenlon has a player of this ilk lines up!

TowerHibs
04-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Lol reading the first 3/4 replies - opinions eh

heretoday
04-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Too slow.

zlatan
04-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Too ugly

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-01-2012, 08:17 PM
He may well be a decent player, potentially, but what we need now are players that are fitter and better than we have got, and would be match fit to play Saturday if signed on a Friday. On that score he has to be counted out.

leithsansiro
04-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Too ugly

:agree: Too right. No point in signing decent players if their face is like the back of a bus.

If only folk had applied the same criteria to signing Steve Fulton, he'd have never made it in the pro game. Pity. :wink:

Eyrie
04-01-2012, 08:30 PM
:agree: Too right. No point in signing decent players if their face is like the back of a bus.

If only folk had applied the same criteria to signing Steve Fulton, he'd have never made it in the pro game. Pity. :wink:
The only player to get booked* for being ugly :thumbsup:

*Technically it was for blowing the terracing a kiss in response to chants of "You're so bleeping ugly" which we laughed at, but then the linesman intervened and got him booked. So it was "You got booked for being ugly" for the rest of the game.

leithsansiro
04-01-2012, 08:33 PM
The only player to get booked* for being ugly :thumbsup:

*Technically it was for blowing the terracing a kiss in response to chants of "You're so bleeping ugly" which we laughed at, but then the linesman intervened and got him booked. So it was "You got booked for being ugly" for the rest of the game.

In fairness, with a face like his, he ought to be sent off prior to kick off.

blaikie
04-01-2012, 09:13 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16398560.stm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Could he do a job for us?

Would rather have John Rankin back ....

SteveHFC
04-01-2012, 11:11 PM
We are after him

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/293605/Hibernian-boss-Pat-Fenlon-struck-by-another-blow

Fenlon is still trying to strengthen his squad before that game and currently has his former Lithuanian midfielder Mindaugas Kalonas on trial. He is also interested in Celtic full back Andre Blackman and is also considering a move for freed Motherwell midfielder Stephen Hughes.

silverhibee
04-01-2012, 11:33 PM
We are after him

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/293605/Hibernian-boss-Pat-Fenlon-struck-by-another-blow

Fenlon is still trying to strengthen his squad before that game and currently has his former Lithuanian midfielder Mindaugas Kalonas on trial. He is also interested in Celtic full back Andre Blackman and is also considering a move for freed Motherwell midfielder Stephen Hughes.

Our scouting system seem to be doing a great job for us. :rolleyes:

Stephen Hughes. No thanks.

matty_f
05-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Our scouting system seem to be doing a great job for us. :rolleyes:

Stephen Hughes. No thanks.

Our scouting system appears to be utter garbage, to be honest.

That said, not sure I'd be that devastated at Hughes coming on board. Can pass the ball, has a bit of dig about him and can get forward. Better than what we've got just now, IMHO, though I would say it's probably a good indicator that we won't be competitive with Motherwell if we're signing the players that can't get into their side, so I'll retract my 'not devastated' comment immediately and move to a more realistic and completely less optimistic viewpoint of 'bit pissed off if we did sign him'.

Next target, please!

Hfc_Since1875
05-01-2012, 01:48 AM
Find this thread riciculous tbh! The fact that we are turning up our noses at a creative midfielder when we have a midfield consisting of pallsson, stevenson, osbourne and scott!

Dont get me wrong lewis has improved alot and im a great fan of ozzy but none of them are a creative or great passers!

a midfield 2 of ozzy and hughes would do well i think! Both have a bit of dig! ozzy has the engine and hughes has the passing ability!

Motherwells midfield at the moment consists of Nicky Law, Hately, Jennings, Lasley to name a few and all would walk into our midfield i think! He was released more due to the number of players they have rather than being not good enough!

Whats a contract till the end of the season going to hurt? I think this would be a great singing although it looks as though im in the minority with this opinion!!

col02
05-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Stephen Hughes is the type of player Hibs need at the moment imho. I see him similiar to Liam Miller in some respects in having fallen away the past couple years due to injury but he appears to be fully fit now and I for one would welcome a player of such calibre to the club! He is a good passer of the ball, has good technical ability and also scores the occassional goal. How many of the current midfield tick these boxes? Long term fitness is the only issue imho with regards to him and like mentioned it appears he is fully fit now, if you are going to build a team then you could do worse than sign a composed central midfielder looking to play him beside an energetic player like Osbourne.

bingo70
05-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Are people really turning their noses up at Stephen Hughes? The boy would walk into the hibs team just now, he's actually a good footballer that can control a ball and pass it as well!

Aldo
05-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Are people really turning their noses up at Stephen Hughes? The boy would walk into the hibs team just now, he's actually a good footballer that can control a ball and pass it as well!

Bingo my concern would be is he fit?? If this indeed was true then a MF of him Ozzy and Lewis??

Between now and end of Jan we will find every man and their dug being linked with us.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-01-2012, 09:17 AM
A match fit Stephen Hughes would walk into the team. If he is not 100% fit we have to pass cos we need players now.

Franck is God
05-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I'd have Steven Hughes at Hibs. I Read McCall's comments and he said that it was because he had plenty competition for his position and not a lack of quality. It's not like any team can afford to hand out contracts for players unlikely to get a game these days.

Andy74
05-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Were Hibs not getting stick a few weeks ago for allowing Motherwell to get him?

Probably walk into our midfield but maybe we have better lined up.