PDA

View Full Version : Is that it for Griffiths then???

thebausburst
03-01-2012, 09:57 AM
What's happening with Griffiths? unless a deal was sorted last night by my reckoning he should be on a train back to Wolves? Very poor decision IMHO if Hibs and I'll wager another potential Paul Hartley, Paul Wright job who'll go on to good things. Unless Hibs have a major surprise lined up, not likely given names already mentioned/rumoured then this lad should be signed!!!

Peevemor
03-01-2012, 10:03 AM
What's happening with Griffiths? unless a deal was sorted last night by my reckoning he should be on a train back to Wolves? Very poor decision IMHO if Hibs and I'll wager another potential Paul Hartley, Paul Wright job who'll go on to good things. Unless Hibs have a major surprise lined up, not likely given names already mentioned/rumoured then this lad should be signed!!!

Maybe it's not Hibs' decision. Wolves have said they'll listen to offers for him, so it's within their rights to try and sell him during this transfer window. Hibs may even have made an offer (I've no idea!), but Wolves are entitled to wait for higher bids.

I think he's at Hibs until after the weekend in any case.

Twa Cairpets
03-01-2012, 10:04 AM

Its nothing like Hartley or Wright. He was/is a LOAN signing. He wasn't "our" player at any point.

I hope the lad does well at Wolves, but there's been precious little to show that he's got what it takes at EPL level. It'd be good if we could sign him, as he could do a job for us, but how realistic that option is I dont know. There's plenty of things to be disgruntled at at the moment, this isn't one of them.

justlikebrazil
03-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Think there is a bit of history between mick mcarthy and petrie when it comes to signing players so think mcarthy will want petrie to dig deep for griffiths!!

Wilson
03-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Griffiths' is on loan from a top club. Should we sign him he would be looking to command a top wage. Unfortunately his contribution has not lived up to his billing. For me he has not proven that he would be worth the wage he would command. Perhaps he would be better in a better team but we need players who will improve a poor team.

Golden Bear
03-01-2012, 10:24 AM
He looks a busy clever player but to be honest I'm not convinced that he actually is.

Aldo
03-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Griffiths' is on loan from a top club. Should we sign him he would be looking to command a top wage. Unfortunately his contribution has not lived up to his billing. For me he has not proven that he would be worth the wage he would command. Perhaps he would be better in a better team but we need players who will improve a poor team.

A few of his team mates yesterday should take a leaf out of his book. Was our best player yesterday and thought he put in a really good shift. Shame the others around him didn't support him enough.

Worked his socks off, making some very good runs, holding the ball up against 4 defenders.

Would take him and play him alongside Doyle and see how we get on.

thebausburst
03-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Its nothing like Hartley or Wright. He was/is a LOAN signing. He wasn't "our" player at any point

Pedantic:rolleyes:

Point remains valid, Hibs could keep the lad but instead we'll probably end up with the usual journeyman. Pat (like many before him) has gone on about quality and brining in 'real quality', why do we never seem to sign SPL/SFL guys look at Hearts Scottish signings most of which were on show yesterday. If we must sign foreign players why not go for the Falkirk striker or Stevenson????

Andy74
03-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Point remains valid, Hibs could keep the lad but instead we'll probably end up with the usual journeyman. Pat (like many before him) has gone on about quality and brining in 'real quality', why do we never seem to sign SPL/SFL guys look at Hearts Scottish signings most of which were on show yesterday. If we must sign foreign players why not go for the Falkirk striker or Stevenson????

Its a bit awkward for us with his loan up early in the month.

They want to sell him and I doubt they will put him out on loan unless they don't manage to do so. That would mean its unlikely he will be with us during January. I don't know if you are allowed to extend the loan for a few weeks even in Wolves allowed it.

I don't think there is any way we would pay 150k for him and so if we do work out a deal for him its not likely to be until the ed of the window when Wolves see if they have had any other offers.

I think he has been okay but I wouldn't be rushing to pay top money for him.

He may well go back there for a bit and come back to us at the end of the month after we agree a small fee with a sell on clause.

Cropley10
03-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Its a bit awkward for us with his loan up early in the month.

They want to sell him and I doubt they will put him out on loan unless they don't manage to do so. That would mean its unlikely he will be with us during January. I don't know if you are allowed to extend the loan for a few weeks even in Wolves allowed it.

I don't think there is any way we would pay 150k for him and so if we do work out a deal for him its not likely to be until the ed of the window when Wolves see if they have had any other offers.

I think he has been okay but I wouldn't be rushing to pay top money for him.

He may well go back there for a bit and come back to us at the end of the month after we agree a small fee with a sell on clause.

Agree - I don't think the budget will allow Leigh to stay. Ah the budget, the mythical budget, a budget that will see us drop in to the SFL, having horsed all our cash on utter duds. The boy Doyle is obviously a replacement for Sparky.

Andy74
03-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Agree - I don't think the budget will allow Leigh to stay. Ah the budget, the mythical budget, a budget that will see us drop in to the SFL, having horsed all our cash on utter duds. The boy Doyle is obviously a replacement for Sparky.

How can the 4th biggest budget get us into the SFL??

It's the managers and their choice of players within the budget that do that.

Cropley10
03-01-2012, 01:21 PM

I agree. But we're now on to our second manager in succession who knows nothing of our League, or other Scottish Leagues and has only a limited pool of experience to draw on.

We seem to be incapable of actually signing any quality, or working with a manager to build a proper team. Take GOC out of this squad and you basically have no-one worth anything.

BEEJ
03-01-2012, 01:29 PM

Whilst ours has been the fourth biggest budget in the SPL, you're assuming that remains the case for the current season.

I don't think there's yet any evidence for that.

Eyrie
03-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Whilst ours has been the fourth biggest budget in the SPL, you're assuming that remains the case for the current season.

I don't think there's yet any evidence for that.
Conversely there is no reason to suppose that we don't have the fourth biggest budget, even before it had to be increased to replace the Calderduds and avoid relegation.

BEEJ
03-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Conversely there is no reason to suppose that we don't have the fourth biggest budget, even before it had to be increased to replace the Calderduds and avoid relegation.
Correct! :greengrin

Therefore we cannot make statements of fact which are based currently on assumptions, however likely they may appear when viewed in the light of recent history.

For all we know, there may have been a major reduction in our budget during the summer as the Board adjusted to the harsher economic enviroment and massively reduced season ticket sales. It wouldn't be the first time that our club responded first within the SPL to a harsher financial climate - remember when the TV money disappeared virtually overnight?

Twa Cairpets
03-01-2012, 02:07 PM

No, it's not pedantic. You made an observation to make a criticism that isn't valid, and then in this post go on to whinge a bit.

Leith Green
03-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Surely the 4th biggest budget is equivelant to the lowest budget if the manager you employ is a dud and will ***** his budget on a complete shambles of a first team squad, quite why we ever employed Calderwood I will never know, why we held onto him in the summer given what happened is as much of a mystery to me.