PDA

View Full Version : Media Signing spree

Sweep
03-01-2012, 02:59 AM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/293246/Signing-spree-planned-to-stop-Hibs-slump/

Well what do you think?

Auckland Hibs
03-01-2012, 03:22 AM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/293246/Signing-spree-planned-to-stop-Hibs-slump/

Well what do you think?

Ihope so because at the moment I can't recall a bigger pile of complete pish "playing" at ER.

My only concern would be the quality we bring in during January's window - the names being banded around don't exactly fill me with any optimism that we can stay in the SPL.

Captain Trips
03-01-2012, 03:24 AM
Lets make sure that the manager is signing players for the long haul, please no more 6-18mths deals.

Beefster
03-01-2012, 03:55 AM
McPake could be a decent signing. Everything I've read about the Lithuanian suggests he's another Trakys.

3pm
03-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Lets make sure that the manager is signing players for the long haul, please no more 6-18mths deals.

Signing someone on an 18 month contract doesn't bother me as long as the contract is negotiated again soon as the player is seen to be good enough.

Alfred E Newman
03-01-2012, 08:18 AM
What we need is quality not quantity. That is why we are in the mess we are in now.

The Falcon
03-01-2012, 08:25 AM

What we need is quality not quantity. That is why we are in the mess we are in now.

Interview with O'Hanlon in one of the papers prior to derby in which he said that those were the sort of deals being offered everywhere these days. Unless you are Messi or Neymar I suppose.

There is no point signing anyone long term if they are not good enough. Even if they are and do sign a long term deal, i.e. Fletcher, there is no way we can hold on to them when the OF or the English come calling. If we recall some of the dross on longish contracts that we have been stuck with in the past.

3pm
03-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Interview with O'Hanlon in one of the papers prior to derby in which he said that those were the sort of deals being offered everywhere these days. Unless you are Messi or Neymar I suppose.

There is no point signing anyone long term if they are not good enough. Even if they are and do sign a long term deal, i.e. Fletcher, there is no way we can hold on to them when the OF or the English come calling. If we recall some of the dross on longish contracts that we have been stuck with in the past.

And presently, Jimmy Scott.

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 08:38 AM
And presently, Jimmy Scott.

That would appear to be a Derek Adam's recommendation so you would assume that DA thought JS could make the step up. In fairness to JS he is not a creator and is more a disruptor and, in a better team, would fulfil the role Ian Black did yesterday.

Burgh Hibby
03-01-2012, 08:47 AM
It's Quality we need not quantity.

A solid right back , a strong CH , and a creative midfielder.

Fenlon worries we though , his team / tactics & lack of subs yesterday is a major concern.

Andy74
03-01-2012, 09:38 AM
McPake could be a decent signing. Everything I've read about the Lithuanian suggests he's another Trakys.

What have you read that suggests he is anyhting like Trakys other than they are both Lithuanian??

The only thing I know about him was from the Bohs fan I think it was who came on here and gave him a great write up, said he was a cult hero there and scored some important goals including one in a cup win.

Andy74
03-01-2012, 09:38 AM
It's Quality we need not quantity.

A solid right back , a strong CH , and a creative midfielder.

Fenlon worries we though , his team / tactics & lack of subs yesterday is a major concern.

Is this because we have a long list of alternative teams and tactics that have been working a treat?? :rolleyes:

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 09:45 AM
I believe it. The 'business model' is flawed, and is failing us. Its sink or swim time, and if we are to stay up STF will need to spend millions (mostly to cover losses) to right the Board's wrongs.

MrRobot
03-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Ties in with what I have heard. Rumour doing the rounds that STF offered money to Petrieto get the team sorted but he refused cause he didnt trust CC with the money. IF this is true, its possible Paddy has been given the funds. It was quite a tidy sum too. May not be true but hoping it is, team needs major investment.

In terms of his tactics, yes I thought he should have brought a sub on much earlier but nothing we can do now, hopefully he learns from it. To have some fans calling for his head already is a joke.
We must stick by Paddy for the long run, not just 12-18 months, its not enough time.

Andy74
03-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I believe it. The 'business model' is flawed, and is failing us. Its sink or swim time, and if we are to stay up STF will need to spend millions (mostly cover losses) to right the Board's wrongs.

Or we could get the manager to pick the right players within the current budget??

Beefster
03-01-2012, 09:52 AM
What have you read that suggests he is anyhting like Trakys other than they are both Lithuanian??

The only thing I know about him was from the Bohs fan I think it was who came on here and gave him a great write up, said he was a cult hero there and scored some important goals including one in a cup win.

Yeah, I base my opinion solely on nationalities. I'm hoping we sign an Argentinian because they all play like Messi.

He played very few games for Bohemians. Other than that very short spell, he's done nothing very much. IIRC Trakys has a better scoring record.

bingo70
03-01-2012, 09:52 AM

I think the fact he's jumped from club to club without settling anywhere adds him to a potential journeyman list.

I'm also not overly excited by the boy from coventry, unless there's another reason why he can't get his game for a poor coventry side it sounds like he's just not very good, just cos he's 6ft 2 doesn't mean he's what we need just now.

That said ill give them both a chance but my expectations won't be high as I'm pretty cynical about all things hibs right now

carnoustiehibee
03-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Is this because we have a long list of alternative teams and tactics that have been working a treat?? :rolleyes:

The fact Hanlon, sproule and Galbraith continue to get a game is a worry. Surely the younger guys are better, and if not shouldn't be playing football.

Taking 80mins to make changes when everyone seen it was needed. In Thailand they say "same same but different " and I've got a feeling that applies to fenlon.

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Or we could get the manager to pick the right players within the current budget??

The day of needing to spend has come. We've had years of poor signings and poor managers (appointed by ??). Neglect has a price - as STF is about to pay for.

Andy74
03-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I base my opinion solely on nationalities. I'm hoping we sign an Argentinian because they all play like Messi.

He played very few games for Bohemians. Other than that very short spell, he's done nothing very much. IIRC Trakys has a better scoring record.

Why did you pick Trakys then instead of the hundreds of other players that we've signed that haven't gone well? They don't even play in the same position.

blackpoolhibs
03-01-2012, 09:55 AM

Exactly, petrie plan was that flawed he managed to build a new

Spike Mandela
03-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Interesting use of the word SPREE, normally used in conjunction with the word SPENDING, interestingly omitted from the headline.:rolleyes::greengrin

Andy74
03-01-2012, 09:57 AM
The day of needing to spend has come. We've had years of poor signings and poor managers (appointed by ??). Neglect has a price - as STF is about to pay for.

No he's not, we will take our loseeses which will be added to the debt and we will service that within our means.

Hibs won't be spending on any transfer fees and the manager will be expected to identify better players in the same budget and get more use out of the current ones.

Hibs have brought in piles of players for the past few years, that hasn't been the issue, they just haven't been good enough and that's been down to the managers.

If money was the deciding factor we'd be fourth.

You blamed Hughes quite vociferously until recently. Now that your man CC has made us worse then its back to being Petrie's fault I see.

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 09:59 AM
I believe it. The 'business model' is flawed, and is failing us. Its sink or swim time, and if we are to stay up STF will need to spend millions (mostly to cover losses) to right the Board's wrongs.

The "business model" for Scottish football is flawed TQM and it is approaching sink or swim, for everyone. I will be surpised if the twelve clubs who started this season finish it.

Beefster
03-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Why did you pick Trakys then instead of the hundreds of other players that we've signed that haven't gone well? They don't even play in the same position.

He's the most recent journeyman I could recall at the time. Even if it had been because he was also Lithuanian, that's not the same as judging his ability on nationality.

You really are struggling for a point, huh?

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 10:04 AM
No he's not, we will take our loseeses which will be added to the debt and we will service that within our means.

Hibs won't be spending on any transfer fees and the manager will be expected to identify better players in the same budget and get more use out of the current ones.

Hibs have brought in piles of players for the past few years, that hasn't been the issue, they just haven't been good enough and that's been down to the managers.

If money was the deciding factor we'd be fourth.

You blamed Hughes quite vociferously until recently. Now that your man CC has made us worse then its back to being Petrie's fault I see.

Thanks Yogi - how's the job-hunting?

Did you wipe the worst ever home record games aff yer DVDs?

Watch now Andy as we could get to the end of this season with CC having the best like for like record of our managers over 10/11 and 11/12!

And is that you defending RP after he took the piss oot of poor Yogi? :greengrin

Aldo
03-01-2012, 10:05 AM

Have to agree TQM. We need at least 4 quality players IMHO. I have watched year in year out as we have sold the likes of O'Connor, Thomson , brown, fletcher, Whittaker, jones, Murphy and replaced them with very very cheap alternatives.

Sorry but there are players out there and good ones at that but you have to pay them.. ENDOF. If the board don't release the funds then it will be them paying for it next season.

Other teams in the league, St Mirren, St Johnstone Utd have all managed to bring in some players. Guys that would walk right into our team.

We as fans are very fickle and want top notch players not a no body.

It's time the board stood up and be counted for a change.

The next few weeks will make or break our season ( which is already ****ed). I expect nothing but 2 wins for our visit to Fife. Which by the way won't come easy. I also expect there go be at least 3 new players in the team to face the Pars.

We need something. O for a Jones and Hogg partnership at the back!!

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Have to agree TQM. We need at least 4 quality players IMHO. I have watched year in year out as we have sold the likes of O'Connor, Thomson , brown, fletcher, Whittaker, jones, Murphy and replaced them with very very cheap alternatives.

Sorry but there are players out there and good ones at that but you have to pay them.. ENDOF. If the board don't release the funds then it will be them paying for it next season.

Other teams in the league, St Mirren, St Johnstone Utd have all managed to bring in some players. Guys that would walk right into our team.

We as fans are very fickle and want top notch players not a no body.

It's time the board stood up and be counted for a change.

The next few weeks will make or break our season ( which is already ****ed). I expect nothing but 2 wins for our visit to Fife. Which by the way won't come easy. I also expect there go be at least 3 new players in the team to face the Pars.

We need something. O for a Jones and Hogg partnership at the back!!

:agree: I actually think we miss Whitty and Murphy, and KT and Broon before Jones and Hogg but I take your point. Entirely.

carnoustiehibee
03-01-2012, 10:10 AM
If hibs were run as a business outside football it wouldn't work, you can't have a lovely office, nice new vans, model staff and make crap toys. It won't be a success. Hibs end product right now is crap and to get the punters coming back to buy into the team and make it a success they have to make better toys.

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 10:13 AM
If hibs were run as a business outside football it wouldn't work, you can't have a lovely office, nice new vans, model staff and make crap toys. It won't be a success. Hibs end product right now is crap and to get the punters coming back to buy into the team and make it a success they have to make better toys.

Which club would?

If this was any other business then Farmer would have have shut it down years ago. That same scenario could be applied to ALL the owners of other SPL clubs.

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Yup - the comparison made months and months ago on here was TESCO with nice store, car-park, cafe/creche etc but keech on the shelves. We are no different. The fans clearly have had enough - and will take no more without serious action - not words - from the Board.

Aldo
03-01-2012, 10:21 AM
:agree: I actually think we miss Whitty and Murphy, and KT and Broon before Jones and Hogg but I take your point. Entirely.

We miss a lot of players IMHO. Watching yesterday I felt really sorry for Stack, Stevenson and Griffiths. The later had his best game in Hibs Jersey but got no support.

I hope Ozzy is fit for Pars game. I wouldn't risk him against Cowdenbeath but we have really missed his energy. Was thinking both him and Stevenson were playing well together.

I expect us to sign a RB and CH at the very least and I am sure PF will make this his priority.

stubru59
03-01-2012, 10:26 AM
If spending money was the answer, we'd currently be in the top six. The Motherwell's, the ST Mirren's and the Kilmarnock's of this world, all have much lesser playing budgets than we do.

Spending money isn't our problem, it's what we spend it on that's the problem.

nortonhibby
03-01-2012, 10:39 AM
He said there will be players leaving i wonder who he means LG Back to Wolves ?

lapsedhibee
03-01-2012, 10:39 AM

He could become the new Enoch Showumni for us then. :agree:

Cropley10
03-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Once Gaz leaves we will be a team without one, single decent player, a player other teams covert or a player we could sell to someone else.

When you think about that in football terms you either need a fantastic team spirit OR you would get relegated.

How Hibernian have managed to get themselves in to a position where there's not one decent player in the team is frankly a scandal.

Cropley10
03-01-2012, 10:42 AM
He said there will be players leaving i wonder who he means LG Back to Wolves ?

Yes probably. Wolves will need Griffiths battling it out for them in the EPL this year. :rolleyes:

Davy Mac
03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Yup - the comparison made months and months ago on here was TESCO with nice store, car-park, cafe/creche etc but keech on the shelves. We are no different. The fans clearly have had enough - and will take no more without serious action - not words - from the Board.

Or you drop your prices accordingly :wink:

Problem is the keech expires/expiry date and Tesco get rid, we have to keep the keech we've got and keep paying them for the priviledge.

PeterboroHibee
03-01-2012, 10:44 AM
If spending money was the answer, we'd currently be in the top six. The Motherwell's, the ST Mirren's and the Kilmarnock's of this world, all have much lesser playing budgets than we do.

Spending money isn't our problem, it's what we spend it on that's the problem.

I tend to agree with what you are saying, Id imagine previous managers have had a better budget than most managers in the SPL (regardless of what they say now). What the problem has been is who theyve spent it on, or possibly who theyve been allowed to spend it on.

The problem we are facing now is that we are in a situation where we really have to spend bigger than before, as noone in the current squad is up to getting us away from this position as things stand. I hope it is true that Fenlon is able to go on a signing spree, and hopefully sooner rather than later. We cant wait until the end of the month to pick up cheap signings, as that will be more points dropped.

Davy Mac
03-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Once Gaz leaves we will be a team without one, single decent player, a player other teams covert or a player we could sell to someone else.

When you think about that in football terms you either need a fantastic team spirit OR you would get relegated.

How Hibernian have managed to get themselves in to a position where there's not one decent player in the team is frankly a scandal.

:agree:

Look at STJ, how on earth they can have a forward line of Sandaza & Sheridan and Hibs can't, it's baffling.

Aldo
03-01-2012, 10:49 AM
For me it's not about individuals but guys that will fit in and play in a team. Playing for each other.

Not expecting world beaters but we really do need a CH and RB. Hard to beat and take it from there. There is no point have a 20 goal a season striker if he gets no service . We need to get a but if dug and balance to the team and someone who will lead/organise and take some responsibility . Things our team lacks.

matty_f
03-01-2012, 10:51 AM

Look at STJ, how on earth they can have a forward line of Sandaza & Sheridan and Hibs can't, it's baffling.
At the start if the season I'd have taken O'Connor and Griffiths ahead of those two. In fact, I still would.

nortonhibby
03-01-2012, 10:51 AM

How do you know Gaz is offski ? nothing official as yet or is he one off the players being referred to by PF When he said players will be leaving.

BEEJ
03-01-2012, 10:54 AM
How do you know Gaz is offski ? nothing official as yet or is he one off the players being referred to by PF When he said players will be leaving.
Agogo and Thornhill likely to be first on the list.

aob4green
03-01-2012, 10:57 AM

They can have Sheridan pure and simply because they offered more money than Hibs did. This absoloute joke of a board who are revered by many on here due their ability to balance the books are about to make us the most well run club in the 1st division.

Aldo
03-01-2012, 10:58 AM
I am trying to be positive here and would say that PF will be in the players needed to keep us up. Still a few games to go but think he will do on. Transformation in summer (yet again) but this time a proper.

Players (and back up players) getting targeted (and hopefully tapped up)

PeterboroHibee
03-01-2012, 11:01 AM

We could have had O'Connor and Sheridan if the club hadnt messed it up. And I remember alot of people on here saying Sandaza would have been a good signing for the club...

justlikebrazil
03-01-2012, 11:04 AM

Well what do you think? We need to sign players that are getting there game for there clubs! Hibs are a club that should be signing players that are turning it on for there clubs like dundee utd, motherwell, inverness and killie ect! Not players from the english div 1 reserves! Thats why we are in this perilous position!

stanton10
03-01-2012, 11:13 AM
At the start if the season I'd have taken O'Connor and Griffiths ahead of those two. In fact, I still would.

what,i cant get my head round is that OCONNOR was captain for afew games what a role model he is he should never have been put in that position ,plus the weight seems to be a issue /get rid.

matty_f
03-01-2012, 11:22 AM
what,i cant get my head round is that OCONNOR was captain for afew games what a role model he is he should never have been put in that position ,plus the weight seems to be a issue /get rid.
He's been carrying an injury and i understand he's been taking extra fitness sessions and has no weight issues. That's another hibs.net myth.

Hibbyradge
03-01-2012, 11:25 AM
I wonder what they mean by "spree".

Aldo
03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Aye he's carrying tons if extra weight... The rest if the team ;-).

Give him the supply and he will scores a barrow load of goals. 12 or so for us in a very very push team

MB62
03-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Don't see the point in our manager signing anybody else, he will just leave them sitting on the bench for 85 minutes so it's a waste of Rods money.

greenlex
03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
The Board may be, and I am sure are, accused of many things but neglect is not one of them.

Bostonhibby
03-01-2012, 12:12 PM
He could become the new Enoch Showumni for us then. :agree:

We should try and bring him back, what a player Enoch was, could fill many roles, there were two sides to him:wink:

stanton10
03-01-2012, 12:13 PM
He's been carrying an injury and i understand he's been taking extra fitness sessions and has no weight issues. That's another hibs.net myth.

why put a injured player on the bench and i dont know about a myth have you seen him lately, captain my a---

matty_f
03-01-2012, 12:16 PM
why put a injured player on the bench and i dont know about a myth have you seen him lately, captain my a---

Because we have nobody else!!

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 12:30 PM
The Board may be, and I am sure are, accused of many things but neglect is not one of them.

It is neglect in my mind. The core product/business the team/quality of football is dreadful, and should have been prioritised over other projects. We should not be where we are.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-01-2012, 12:31 PM

Have Hibs not been guilty in the past of giving captaincy to players to IMO get around wage structures ? Could it be the prestige and money well money for Gaz?

Hibbyradge
03-01-2012, 12:44 PM
It is neglect in my mind. The core product/business the team/quality of football is dreadful, and should have been prioritised over other projects. We should not be where we are.

How much did we spend on the stand and the training centre?

£7m? Less?

After signing on fees, agent's commission, compensation/transfer fees, I wonder what we'd have got for that. And for how long.

Had Hibs taken the short term strategy which you're advocating, that money would now be with other clubs and in players' and agents' pockets and we'd still be training in public parks and the stadium would still be a joke.

And, the team would only be marginally stronger, assuming the signings worked out and there's no guarantee of that.

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 12:58 PM

£7m? Less?

After signing on fees, agent's commission, compensation/transfer fees, I wonder what we'd have got for that. And for how long.

Had Hibs taken the short term strategy which you're advocating, that money would now be with other clubs and in players' and agents' pockets and we'd still be training in public parks and the stadium would still be a joke.

And, the team would only be marginally stronger, assuming the signings worked out and there's no guarantee of that.

Not going to bite :wink:

Spike Mandela
03-01-2012, 01:03 PM

£7m? Less?

£7m? Who knows how far it could have went and how better our performances could have been. Sign better players offer them better wages and they have a resale value then reinvest in team perpetually. Doesn't work every time but more chance of it than trawling round the bargain bins as we are now.

Training in public parks and stadium a joke, So What! Never done Stanton any harm or Sauzee and would probably toughen up the lightweights we have now. New training centre and stand have not added one single bit to my viewing pleasure since they were built. Could live without them.

Cropley10
03-01-2012, 01:07 PM
£7m? Who knows how far it could have went and how better our performances could have been. Sign better players offer them better wages and they have a resale value then reinvest in team perpetually. Doesn't work every time but more chance of it than trawling round the bargain bins as we are now.

Training in public parks and stadium a joke, So What! Never done Stanton any harm or Sauzee and would probably toughen up the lightweights we have now. New training centre and stand have not added one single bit to my viewing pleasure since they were built. Could live without them.

Funny thing is if we were say top 4 or 5 in the league and were last year, the Board, and in essence, RP, would look like a genius. Now the Club look like they've simply messed up, neglecting the team on the pitch and creating a negative, downward spiral where the SFL beckons.

To have built a new stand and the place never having been a sell-out since tells its own story. It wasn't needed and might never be needed.

Bad Martini
03-01-2012, 01:09 PM

£7m? Less?

However much we spent, it wasnt the correct in order in which to spend it. Nobody would deny a big stand is useful as is a new training centre. But, house should have been put in order first i.e. the product which as many of us said at the time, was more important. As many of us also said at the time, do it the wrong way round and it'll cost us...and it has, and it does, and it will continue to do so.

£7m? Less? <<< No matter...every penny too much when considering our current plight.

I wonder what we'd have got for the money and how long too but whatever it is and whoever we got, if it was an improvement on our current squad, it would be a good thing. A self-filling POSITIVE vicious circle would hopefully have (more chance) of being fulfilled whereby some modicum of success = more fans, more money, more sales of merchandise and higher league standings, more cup success etc etc et ***** settera.

By the way, the short term strategy would have been the right strategy here I rather feel; because short term, we're gonna lose far more in the first division. Regards the public parks - didnt do our cup winning team any harm did it? Or our teams deemed as "good" / "decent" / "acceptable" or even "not as ***** as this crap" over the last 5, 10, 15+ years???

Right now, I'd take a team that is marginally stronger...

As someone has pointed out though. Its not just about what we havent spent on players or what we HAVE spent on other stuff as we discuss here. It's also about our string of managerial failures and at least some of that blame MUST go to the people who have hired these complete failures...........

Combined, we've not given ourselves much of a chance. We sold or lost many talented players. We made millions from our sales yet didnt reinvest in THEE most important thing we have; our team. Our assetts are NOT East Mains, Easter Road Stadium or anything else of bricks and mortar, grass or otherwise. These will not, ever, in themselves bring us in a penny WITHOUT, a decent team to use them.

We NEED investment in our team. The right investment. Managerial appointments are key here and crucially, when we DO have decent assets (aka as "football players" to our financially astute board with pound signs in eyes) lets no strip them all out and sell them on.....maybe have the ****ing balls to keep them and try to build on that.

Fans dont follow big (never been filled) stands or nice, shiny, pampering palaces/training grounds. They follow the team on the pitch and it's what happens THERE that matters most. Usefully, the one aspect of our infrastructure which seems to have had the wrong balance of financial backing when we had the chance to do so.

Nae excuses. Nae spin. We raked in millions (millions) from player sales and didnt buy more players. We invested elsewhere. And that is why, there's a good chance we COULD be relegated.

ENDOF

Hibbyradge
03-01-2012, 01:16 PM

We tried to sign Hamil, Black and Webster, but were outbid by Hearts.

I was told that Hibs offered Webster around £7.5/8k a week so we can only guess how much extra we'd have had to offer to get these players and I'm pretty certain that they will have taken far more from Hearts than they'll get back from resales.

I'm really glad we didn't go down that route.

steakbake
03-01-2012, 01:25 PM
However much we spent, it wasnt the correct in order in which to spend it. Nobody would deny a big stand is useful as is a new training centre. But, house should have been put in order first i.e. the product which as many of us said at the time, was more important. As many of us also said at the time, do it the wrong way round and it'll cost us...and it has, and it does, and it will continue to do so.

£7m? Less? <<< No matter...every penny too much when considering our current plight.

I wonder what we'd have got for the money and how long too but whatever it is and whoever we got, if it was an improvement on our current squad, it would be a good thing. A self-filling POSITIVE vicious circle would hopefully have (more chance) of being fulfilled whereby some modicum of success = more fans, more money, more sales of merchandise and higher league standings, more cup success etc etc et ***** settera.

By the way, the short term strategy would have been the right strategy here I rather feel; because short term, we're gonna lose far more in the first division. Regards the public parks - didnt do our cup winning team any harm did it? Or our teams deemed as "good" / "decent" / "acceptable" or even "not as ***** as this crap" over the last 5, 10, 15+ years???

Right now, I'd take a team that is marginally stronger...

As someone has pointed out though. Its not just about what we havent spent on players or what we HAVE spent on other stuff as we discuss here. It's also about our string of managerial failures and at least some of that blame MUST go to the people who have hired these complete failures...........

Combined, we've not given ourselves much of a chance. We sold or lost many talented players. We made millions from our sales yet didnt reinvest in THEE most important thing we have; our team. Our assetts are NOT East Mains, Easter Road Stadium or anything else of bricks and mortar, grass or otherwise. These will not, ever, in themselves bring us in a penny WITHOUT, a decent team to use them.

We NEED investment in our team. The right investment. Managerial appointments are key here and crucially, when we DO have decent assets (aka as "football players" to our financially astute board with pound signs in eyes) lets no strip them all out and sell them on.....maybe have the ****ing balls to keep them and try to build on that.

Fans dont follow big (never been filled) stands or nice, shiny, pampering palaces/training grounds. They follow the team on the pitch and it's what happens THERE that matters most. Usefully, the one aspect of our infrastructure which seems to have had the wrong balance of financial backing when we had the chance to do so.

Nae excuses. Nae spin. We raked in millions (millions) from player sales and didnt buy more players. We invested elsewhere. And that is why, there's a good chance we COULD be relegated.

ENDOF

The bottom line.

Would rather have folk being turned away because there are not enough seats in an old-style stadium to watch a team actually performing well on the park, than to have a fancy half-empty vanity stand, opposite Nero's comfy seat in the West with piss poor mercenaries struggling to string a pass together.

I can see why the stand was built and the training centre. But for all this chatter about the third best equipped team in the SPL, the league table speaks for itself.

Spike Mandela
03-01-2012, 01:32 PM
We tried to sign Hamil, Black and Webster, but were outbid by Hearts.

I was told that Hibs offered Webster around £7.5/8k a week so we can only guess how much extra we'd have had to offer to get these players and I'm pretty certain that they will have taken far more from Hearts than they'll get back from resales.

I'm really glad we didn't go down that route.

Perhaps if we had signed better players with the offer of better wages at the time we were selling the 'golden generation' we wouldn't have been in the desperate position of having to offer the likes of webster high wages to shore up our feeble defence. I have no knowledge to dispute your claim but if it were true we were able to offer Webster 7.5/8k per week surely we would subsequntly have set our sights a bit higher than O'Hanlon?

Surely the last 4 to 5 years has put paid to the myth that the fabulous training centre and completed stadium benefits us in attracting top players to the club. They were expensive and of little benefit to the club imo

Andy74
03-01-2012, 01:33 PM
The bottom line.

Would rather have folk being turned away because there are not enough seats in an old-style stadium to watch a team actually performing well on the park, than to have a fancy half-empty vanity stand, opposite Nero's comfy seat in the West with piss poor mercenaries struggling to string a pass together.

I can see why the stand was built and the training centre. But for all this chatter about the third best equipped team in the SPL, the league table speaks for itself.

It does just now, but the allegation that we have neglected the playing staff doesn't add up to it being the reason for us doing badly.

If we had the 11th or 12 biggest budget in the league and we were here as a result then it would make sense.

Hughes got a lot of stick on here, is he now blameless?

CC got a lot of stick - is he now blameless too?

Why did they get stick if they were just dealing with a negelected playing budget?

I'm maybe being a bit simplisitc but I expect the 4th biggest playing budget to get you a squad that will be around 4th best. If it doesn't I don't lay the balame at the people who set the budget. If they set it at 11th or 12th I'd blame them.

If we had signed players of the same type of talent as Murphy, Boozy, Shiels, Zemmama, Benji, Killen and Jones we'd have been okay. They were signed on this type of budget.

Instead we have gone for Thornhill, Agogo, Scott, Palsson, Sodje, O'Hanlon and Towell. Chuck in De Graaf and Hart, even Sproule and o'Connor this time round.

These guys probably cost more in wages than the previous list.

It's time we got our heads round the real causes and its not the budget or the investments in the infrastructure. They haven't changed anything.

We get rid of managers because they've been rubbish and yet weeks later we still have this same conversation about the board and the budget. Crazy.

Spike Mandela
03-01-2012, 01:39 PM
It does just now, but the allegation that we have neglected the playing staff doesn't add up to it being the reason for us doing badly.

If we had the 11th or 12 biggest budget in the league and we were here as a result then it would make sense.

Hughes got a lot of stick on here, is he now blameless?

CC got a lot of stick - is he now blameless too?

Why did they get stick if they were just dealing with a negelected playing budget?

I'm maybe being a bit simplisitc but I expect the 4th biggest playing budget to get you a squad that will be around 4th best. If it doesn't I don't lay the balame at the people who set the budget. If they set it at 11th or 12th I'd blame them.

If we had signed players of the same type of talent as Murphy, Boozy, Shiels, Zemmama, Benji, Killen and Jones we'd have been okay. They were signed on this type of budget.

Instead we have gone for Thornhill, Agogo, Scott, Palsson, Sodje, O'Hanlon and Towell. Chuck in De Graaf and Hart, even Sproule and o'Connor this time round.

These guys probably cost more in wages than the previous list.

It's time we got our heads round the real causes and its not the budget or the investments in the infrastructure. They haven't changed anything.

We get rid of managers because they've been rubbish and yet weeks later we still have this same conversation about the board and the budget. Crazy.

So how come the argument goes that Hearts have better players than us because of their wages?

If that's not the case is it just because they had better managers or Vlad is a better judge of a player than any of our managers.?

steakbake
03-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Maybe we've bought poorly? Who is responsible for issuing player contracts?

What would you say are the real reasons? The constant churn in managers is not good at all and indicates that the board are either i) totally inept at recognising a good appointment or ii) once appointed, previously capable managers find circumstances at the club which mean their hands are tied? - or indeed, both!

BEEJ
03-01-2012, 01:40 PM
I have no knowledge to dispute your claim but if it were true we were able to offer Webster 7.5/8k per week surely we would subsequntly have set our sights a bit higher than O'Hanlon?
:agree: Spot on.

Hard to marry up that claim with who we finally signed.

Andy74
03-01-2012, 01:51 PM
So how come the argument goes that Hearts have better players than us because of their wages?

If that's not the case is it just because they had better managers or Vlad is a better judge of a player than any of our managers.?

Yes they do have better players because of their better wages. And more of them so they can just keep bringing decent players in to the squad. Jonsson and Stevenson haven't been missed in the least.

A bit like us though they haven't always used that well. They have double the budget of any of their competitors yet they are rarely clear in 3rd place. They too are under achieving hugely in comparison to what they pay.

It does illustrate that at even the market they can operate in in there are no guarantees, it is really all about getting the right players in and then getting the most from them.

I don't get how here we can hound the managers and the Board at the same time. Either we haven't provided the money and the managers are blameless, or we have and the managers have failed to use it properly.

If its all about money the league could just be written out after the accounts for each team are published. We'd be about 4th every year and so the Board woul be achieiving their football targets. Hearts would be clear in 3rd by a distance.

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Thing is we spent on players in the late eighties and went bust. We did it again under McLeish and we lost money hand over fist to the point where we were forced to contemplate leaving ER. Use of the word invest would suggest that there is a financial return for the investor when events and outcomes would suggest otherwise.

Hearts have spent big on players as have others before them. It dosent follow that success, and financial security, will come as a result.

To my mind all who have tried have failed. We need to think differently and better than the others.

The_Todd
03-01-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't see much evidence of a spree in that article at all. Some unknowns, ex-LOI players and the like. I'm not saying ex LOI players are no good, but there will be a risk attached as to whether they can make it in the SPL and help secure our status this year, and push on for next year. We don't have the luxury of taking risks right now, if we were comfortably midtable with no prospect of Europe or relegation then maybe but if this window isn't used 100% correctly then we'll be in Division One next season.

Spike Mandela
03-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Thing is we spent on players in the late eighties and went bust. We did it again under McLeish and we lost money hand over fist to the point where we were forced to contemplate leaving ER. Use of the word invest would suggest that there is a financial return for the investor when events and outcomes would suggest otherwise.

Hearts have spent big on players as have others before them. It dosent follow that success, and financial security, will come as a result.

To my mind all who have tried have failed. We need to think differently and better than the others.

So that's it then, we are a busted flush. Carry on as we are going, dreadful performances, no entertainment, no crowds, nothing to sell and the usual list of bargain basement flotsam and jetsam turning up in January. Bring in some youngsters from big teams who can't get a game in their first team, older guys with a lengthy career in lower leagues who jump at the chance to play against the OF or pros with such lengthy injury records such that nobody else will touch them.

Depressing stuff! Why should we ****ing care anymore:rolleyes:

matty_f
03-01-2012, 02:19 PM

Hearts are an excellent example of why they have better players than us because of the wages they offer.

Specifically, we went after Webster, Hammil, and Black - all of whom chased the wage and signed for them over us. Yesterday would have been a different game if we'd had those three in our side.

matty_f
03-01-2012, 02:21 PM
So that's it then, we are a busted flush. Carry on as we are going, dreadful performances, no entertainment, no crowds, nothing to sell and the usual list of bargain basement flotsam and jetsam turning up in January. Bring in some youngsters from big teams who can't get a game in their first team, older guys with a lengthy career in lower leagues who jump at the chance to play against the OF or pros with such lengthy injury records such that nobody else will touch them.

There needs to be an injection of cash to get quality into the side now. The board need to recognise that the competitive budget has not been well spent and has left us well short of being competitive. If we try to bring in players on the same budget as we have been, we're not going to improve.

If that means they need to go cap in hand to STF, or the bank, or whoever, then that's what they need to do.

Eyrie
03-01-2012, 02:23 PM
So let me get this straight.

Rather than invest £7m on completing the stadium and building a proper training facility, we should have handed that cash to Hughes and Calderwood to spend on players.

Gotcha :aok:

Cropley10
03-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Hearts are an excellent example of why they have better players than us because of the wages they offer.

Specifically, we went after Webster, Hammil, and Black - all of whom chased the wage and signed for them over us. Yesterday would have been a different game if we'd had those three in our side.

Sad but true. It would be fascinating to know the exact difference between both offers. Webster Black and a RB surely wouldn't have sent Hibs under?

Andy74
03-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Sad but true. It would be fascinating to know the exact difference between both offers. Webster Black and a RB surely wouldn't have sent Hibs under?

Or the manager could have signed 3 or 4 players of that quality instead of Agogo, Thornhill, Scott, Sodje, Palsson, Towell, O'Hanlon etc etc.

We were meant to be getting quality over quantity this time!

That said for those specific players Hearts would have beaten whatever we did offer I'm sure but there are good players out there if we pick more wisely.

cad
03-01-2012, 02:33 PM
The safety net that is STF wants him for all that hes done good and bad its like asking yer pops for a sub when you were wee Rods a cert . .

" Rodney I thought the last time was the last time , jeeez £4 big ones , hmmmmm its either that Tommy or we buy Hearts "

WhileTheChief..
03-01-2012, 02:39 PM
We all know that STF gave RP his full backing at the AGM. RP will now be under pressure to deliver or it will make STF look ridiculous after such public and total support.

I mentioned it on another thread but will STF like to be remembered as the owner who saved the club or the one that oversaw 2 relegations?

I totally believe that STF will make funds available now. Let's just hope that PF spends it better than the last few managers. The important thing is for action now and not on Jan 31.

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 02:40 PM

If memory serves me correctly, which it sometimes dosent, I think when Black was first mentioned as a possible signing it was not greeted very favourably on here.

matty_f
03-01-2012, 02:42 PM

Add Darren Barr to that list as well.

They wouldn't have sent us under and we tried to get them, as has been noted above, Webster in particular was offered very attractive and ambitious terms to sign for us - TQM, I'm sure, will confirm this. That we didn't get him (and the others) came down to the Yams offering more than we - and ultimately they - could afford. Considering that's sending the Yams under, there's a good chance matching that spend wouldn't have been the healthiest thing for the club to do...

Bad Martini
03-01-2012, 02:46 PM
If Tom Farmer puts up some cash then thats great.

I hope he does but unlike many dont expect him to and never have.

The man done what he said he would do. The man isnt the problem here frankly.

The problem is the string of ***** managers petrie and co have overseen and installed, said managers buying ***** players and the use of the money we MADE....all these things combined could have given us money to buy better players.

Regardless of all this tho ,one thing is certain. If some players dont piss off and are duly replaced by better players, there is a very good chance we WILL be relegated. This, will cost us far more than shelling out now.

Fact. First division will cost us millions. Spending now will save our ass (or could) and our premier league status as well as (shock horror) maybe starting to put something remotely resembling a team together for the future?

Mental radgeness. A team on the pitch? Russian sailors? Wtf.

ENDOF

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 02:53 PM

Nope. We keep working, we keep trying, we keep fighting and we keep hoping. Like we have always done.

fatbloke
03-01-2012, 02:53 PM

Absolutely brilliant post. This is one of those rare occasions we all have when we look at something and say i wish i had written/said/posted that.

:top marksgo to the top of the class Carnoustie.

Andy74
03-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Absolutely brilliant post. This is one of those rare occasions we all have when we look at something and say i wish i had written/said/posted that.

:top marksgo to the top of the class Carnoustie.

I don't wish I had.

The post ignores the reasons for the toys being crap. That's the key discussion. If the business had provided all the tools and the cash to the management to make the toys correctly then it would be management being questioned about the use of resources. I doubt that customers or anyone else would suggest that the investment in the materials should be bumped up and handed over to the management.

You would look at the fact you are paying more for infrastructure and materials than others who's toys were better and the last thing on earth you would do would be to chuck even more money at it.

Sunny1875
03-01-2012, 03:12 PM
The fact Hanlon, sproule and Galbraith continue to get a game is a worry. Surely the younger guys are better, and if not shouldn't be playing football.

Taking 80mins to make changes when everyone seen it was needed. In Thailand they say "same same but different " and I've got a feeling that applies to fenlon.

Fenlon would be the different, the Same Same applies to the squad he has to pick from FFS let him get some of his own team on the park before we turn on him. Managers need time to implement their idea's and put their own stamp on a team. Alex Ferguson could have come in to ER and i believe we would be in the same position with the soft underbelly that currently provides the base of our poor team

Captain Trips
03-01-2012, 03:13 PM

There is no point signing any player for any length of time if not good enough, it seems we mention the bad signings whom have signed longer deals the truth is CC and yogi signed a hell of a lot of rubbish on short and long term.

IMO we need to build stability in the team like clubs always have done sign players you believe in that is what we must do and trust PF, if we are signing players for 6mth-12mth it is more likely we will sign players that do not work as no managers gets every signing right.

I understand we will not hold onto good players if on 3yr deal but it is better than having same player on 12mth deal and us getting no money, we have been stuck with dross in past but we have been stuck with quality also. I trust PF to sign players to come in for the long term, they are out there and have to be found, if we get in a bunch of short termers over next few weeks I believe we are going to be in trouble now and in summer.

carnoustiehibee
03-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Fenlon would be the different, the Same Same applies to the squad he has to pick from FFS let him get some of his own team on the park before we turn on him. Managers need time to implement their idea's and put their own stamp on a team. Alex Ferguson could have come in to ER and i believe we would be in the same position with the soft underbelly that currently provides the base of our poor team
Alex ferguson wouldn't still be playing Hanlon, sproule and Galbraith after 5 games. The young players on the fringes would've got a chance. I've not turned on fenlon just his team selections and tactics are confussing the hell outa me.

joebakerforever
03-01-2012, 03:30 PM
The "business model" for Scottish football is flawed TQM and it is approaching sink or swim, for everyone. I will be surpised if the twelve clubs who started this season finish it.

Would you be using the same crystal ball as those on here for the past three years have been predicting the liquidation of the team that humiliated us yesterday :yawn:

The Yams continue to laugh at our on-field mediocrity while some on here still comfort themselves with account ledgers.

allezsauzee
03-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Alex ferguson wouldn't still be playing Hanlon, sproule and Galbraith after 5 games. The young players on the fringes would've got a chance. I've not turned on fenlon just his team selections and tactics are confussing the hell outa me.

Hanlon and Galbraith are young players

Andy74
03-01-2012, 03:38 PM

Ah, the mythical young players who are better than the players in front of them but just aren't getting a chance.

When they are ready to be better than the players in the team they will get in.

Andy74
03-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Would you be using the same crystal ball as those on here for the past three years have been predicting the liquidation of the team that humiliated us yesterday :yawn:

The Yams continue to laugh at our on-field mediocrity while some on here still comfort themselves with account ledgers.

Do you get it though?

They have better players and more of them and so they won the game.

They can't afford those players and very shortly won't have most of them, if they do have a team at all.

Anyone predicting this for the last 3 years is spot on as it is now happening. They are baiscally in self administration.

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 03:40 PM

While they have have gambled their very existence for a Scottish Cup and a wee run against us, which they used to do anyway long before Vlad.

SteveHFC
03-01-2012, 03:43 PM

Well what do you think?

Will beileve when I see what type of signings we sign

Aldo
03-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Hanlon and Galbraith are young players

I like Hanlon and played alongside the right player (a Rob Jones type player) in the right position I think he would be a very good player.

The lad has played in 3 different positions this season already. Once he got going yesterday he did ok. Better than O Hanlon in my books.

Eyrie
03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
There is no point signing any player for any length of time if not good enough, it seems we mention the bad signings whom have signed longer deals the truth is CC and yogi signed a hell of a lot of rubbish on short and long term.

IMO we need to build stability in the team like clubs always have done sign players you believe in that is what we must do and trust PF, if we are signing players for 6mth-12mth it is more likely we will sign players that do not work as no managers gets every signing right.

I understand we will not hold onto good players if on 3yr deal but it is better than having same player on 12mth deal and us getting no money, we have been stuck with dross in past but we have been stuck with quality also. I trust PF to sign players to come in for the long term, they are out there and have to be found, if we get in a bunch of short termers over next few weeks I believe we are going to be in trouble now and in summer.
We can get the best of both worlds by offering the 18-24 month deals that are common in the SPL, then extend those players that work out without being saddled with those that don't.

RickyS
03-01-2012, 04:00 PM
I like Hanlon and played alongside the right player (a Rob Jones type player) in the right position I think he would be a very good player.

The lad has played in 3 different positions this season already. Once he got going yesterday he did ok. Better than O Hanlon in my books.

so am i:greengrin

who was worse? Murdoch? Neil Berry?

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 04:03 PM

Rather than invest £7m on completing the stadium and building a proper training facility, we should have handed that cash to Hughes and Calderwood to spend on players.

No the idea would be to recruit better from top to bottom

Beefster
03-01-2012, 04:34 PM

I doubt TQM is saying that but I'm just wondering...

In your opinion, should we ever use transfer income to strengthen the team or should it always be spent on infrastructure/debt reduction?

Cropley10
03-01-2012, 04:37 PM
If memory serves me correctly, which it sometimes dosent, I think when Black was first mentioned as a possible signing it was not greeted very favourably on here.

Right. Well thank goodness the Board read the comments on here and acted accordingly.

We don't want to be signing midfielders who can dictate the pace of the game and pick a pass if a few folk on here aren't keen on the chap, on account of where's he from, what he looks like and what team he might support.

Honestly, what an absolute piece of nonsense. :greengrin No wonder we're in the mess we're in.

carnoustiehibee
03-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Ah, the mythical young players who are better than the players in front of them but just aren't getting a chance.

When they are ready to be better than the players in the team they will get in.

if they arent better now, to play in this team then theyll never be good enough.

Famous Fiver
03-01-2012, 04:41 PM
I see Aston Villa have just signed a left back from Shamrock Rovers and they are considering pitching him straight into the first team.

Does McLeish know something Fenlon doesn't?

Cropley10
03-01-2012, 04:41 PM
if they arent better now, to play in this team then theyll never be good enough.

FACT. End of.

Andy74
03-01-2012, 04:43 PM

No, they will be good enough when they develop a bit.

The first team may be bad in SPL terms but you are talking about guys who have only played under 19 football.

One or two might be ready to challenge for places but its a bit daft to say if they can't play now at 18 or 19 then they will never be good enough.

Andy74
03-01-2012, 04:45 PM
I see Aston Villa have just signed a left back from Shamrock Rovers and they are considering pitching him straight into the first team.

Does McLeish know something Fenlon doesn't?

Swansea and Liverpool also fighting it out for an Irish striker.

I wouldn't say McLeish knows something that Fenlon doesn't other than that he has more money to offer the guy.

Still, plenty on here wouldn't welcome another signing from there.

greenlex
03-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Yup but maybe because we are in a relegation scrap and low on confidence in every area of te park it's just not te right time to throw them in. It might actually not be good for their development as players.

Famous Fiver
03-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Last left back we got from ROI was John Parke.

Long time ago but he was pretty useful.

Captain Trips
03-01-2012, 05:34 PM
We can get the best of both worlds by offering the 18-24 month deals that are common in the SPL, then extend those players that work out without being saddled with those that don't.

We dont get the best, an 18mth deal is actually 12mths as player can talk to other clubs and we know what happens in most cases, from my time watching Hibs it is an exception these days we have a good player whom we sign that extends as once head is turned we lose.

If we are thinking it best to sign players for shorter in case they are crap then that is more negative a view than I have ever posted on here.

matty_f
03-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Right. Well thank goodness the Board read the comments on here and acted accordingly.

We don't want to be signing midfielders who can dictate the pace of the game and pick a pass if a few folk on here aren't keen on the chap, on account of where's he from, what he looks like and what team he might support.

Honestly, what an absolute piece of nonsense. :greengrin No wonder we're in the mess we're in.

IIRC we tried to sign Black, rather than taking the comments on here on board. Reason we didn't sign him and the Yams did is that they offered to pay him more than both we and they could afford.

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 06:55 PM

As you said I think we tried to sign him. I recall he even had a medical the same day as he had one for the Yams so it must have been nip and tuck. I meant this messageboard, not the club board, was not too enamoured about signing a midget, yam supporting midfielder on a free from ICT. I think he was "not Hibs class" according to some.

As you rightly point out his attitude, in the face of adversity, yesterday was second to none and he exemplified the difference between the sides. That said, however, I know some Yam supporters who have thought he has been a liability this season.

Eyrie
03-01-2012, 11:07 PM
I doubt TQM is saying that but I'm just wondering...

In your opinion, should we ever use transfer income to strengthen the team or should it always be spent on infrastructure/debt reduction?
Everything we do as a club has to come back to ensuring that the first team squad is as strong as possible. My own view is that money has been made available to the managers to strengthen the squad and they have failed to bring in the correct players. Everyone makes mistakes in the transfer market, but Hughes and Calderwood in particular made too many mistakes. For that reason I'm relieved that more money was not made available to them.

Looking at where we are now, the infrastructure is all in place so all available monies must be channelled into improving a very weak squad. I'm looking for Fenlon to hit some home runs with his signings this month, which will further loosen the purse strings come June.

c31
03-01-2012, 11:13 PM
2nd loan player from Celtic lined up, anybody got a clue who it is?

SteveHFC
03-01-2012, 11:15 PM

Scott Brown :greengrin

Betty Boop
03-01-2012, 11:19 PM

Paddy McCourt.

The_Horde
03-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Paddy McCourt.

Wouldny mind..

killie-hibby
03-01-2012, 11:28 PM

Fans may have had enough and will take no more. Alternatively, SUPPORTERS, despite being unhappy regards results, will continue to give positive encouragement to the club and players.

SteveHFC
03-01-2012, 11:28 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/search/Express%20hibs

#Hibs keen to land a second player on-loan from #Celtic (http://www.hibs.net/#!/search?q=%23Celtic) - full story in tomorrow's Daily Express

#Pat Fenlon also tells another Colin Calderwood signing he can go - story in Wednesday's Express

SteveHFC
04-01-2012, 12:09 AM
It's Andre Blackman :aok:

Loans FFS!

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/293414/High-winds-blow-out-swoop-for-Andre-Blackman

silverhibee
04-01-2012, 12:55 AM
That would appear to be a Derek Adam's recommendation so you would assume that DA thought JS could make the step up. In fairness to JS he is not a creator and is more a disruptor and, in a better team, would fulfil the role Ian Black did yesterday.

Did Derek Adams recommend that Scott should get a 3 1/2 year contract too, or was that Rod. :greengrin

lucky
04-01-2012, 01:02 AM

Loans FFS!

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/293414/High-winds-blow-out-swoop-for-Andre-Blackman

Not sure how reliable the story is as it also mentions the yams wanting Mcpake.

silverhibee
04-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Ties in with what I have heard. Rumour doing the rounds that STF offered money to Petrieto get the team sorted but he refused cause he didnt trust CC with the money. IF this is true, its possible Paddy has been given the funds. It was quite a tidy sum too. May not be true but hoping it is, team needs major investment.

In terms of his tactics, yes I thought he should have brought a sub on much earlier but nothing we can do now, hopefully he learns from it. To have some fans calling for his head already is a joke.
We must stick by Paddy for the long run, not just 12-18 months, its not enough time.

Why would RP do that, he backed CC right up to the last day of the AGM backed him in the summer and then backed CC again with his selective stats statement, RP told us CC was the man to take the club forward, he must have had a lot of faith in CC, but knocked back the money because he thought the man who he backed 100% couldn't be trusted to spend the money wisely on players. :confused:

silverhibee
04-01-2012, 01:14 AM

They may not have a bigger budget than Hibs but they do pay better wages to some of there players.

silverhibee
04-01-2012, 01:17 AM

Sorry Matty but i would have Sandaza over Griffiths any day of the week.

silverhibee
04-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Because we have nobody else!!

Sodge.

matty_f
04-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Sodge.

On his way oot!

silverhibee
04-01-2012, 01:38 AM

Maybe if we had that money to spend we could have got in a bettter manager than those two huddies.

silverhibee
04-01-2012, 01:47 AM
Swansea and Liverpool also fighting it out for an Irish striker.

I wouldn't say McLeish knows something that Fenlon doesn't other than that he has more money to offer the guy.

Still, plenty on here wouldn't welcome another signing from there.

Did the lad you are talking about not sign for Swansea. ?

Beefster
04-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I hope all this talk of loan signings and signing journeymen/LOI trialists/guys who can't get a game in the English lower leagues shows those calling for investment and long-term signings that nothing has (or will) changed. Rodders and co are rearranging the deck-chairs on the Titantic.

Sorry Matty but i would have Sandaza over Griffiths any day of the week.

As would I. Sandaza would be a great signing (not that it will ever happen).

Cropley10
04-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Why would RP do that, he backed CC right up to the last day of the AGM backed him in the summer and then backed CC again with his selective stats statement, RP told us CC was the man to take the club forward, he must have had a lot of faith in CC, but knocked back the money because he thought the man who he backed 100% couldn't be trusted to spend the money wisely on players. :confused:

And folk go on about JC buying duds! Looks like the biscuit tin is pretty empty.

Captain Trips
04-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Loans FFS!

So it looks like it maybe if to be believed loans again, this will end in tears if we are sticking with this p1sh short term rubbish that doesnt even work in short term.

Phil MaGlass
04-01-2012, 09:19 AM
wir doomed, aye, doomed ah tell yis.

And now,the end is near. We would struggle in the 1st Div with this lot.

Craig_in_Prague
04-01-2012, 09:30 AM
wir doomed, aye, doomed ah tell yis.

And now,the end is near. We would struggle in the 1st Div with this lot.

Yep, mid table at best.

We needed an overhaul 18 months ago, but by god this summer we need a 100% clear out.

SMAXXA
04-01-2012, 09:31 AM
So it looks like it maybe if to be believed loans again, this will end in tears if we are sticking with this p1sh short term rubbish that doesnt even work in short term.

You got that crystal ball out again, how do u know it will end in tears? January aint the easiest time to start building a long terms squad and IMO I would take getting loans in that will see us through to the summer keep us in the league and start building a proper long term team in the summer. Mind I have no idea if that will be enough to keep us in the league no oine does at the moment.

Captain Trips
04-01-2012, 09:37 AM
You got that crystal ball out again, how do u know it will end in tears? January aint the easiest time to start building a long terms squad and IMO I would take getting loans in that will see us through to the summer keep us in the league and start building a proper long term team in the summer. Mind I have no idea if that will be enough to keep us in the league no oine does at the moment.

I do not know it will end in tears it is my opinion it will like your opinion that loans may see us through.

Lucius Apuleius
04-01-2012, 09:44 AM
So Petrie has been and is still, even now identifying targets and negotiating their wages? Strange. Really don't know why we bother having a management team. What really impresses me is Petrie doing this and not getting paid himself. Superb.

Judas Iscariot
04-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Loans are a sensible option for the January window IMO, to sign guys on perminent deals in Jan suggests they're being punted by their clubs otherwise they wouldnt be available....

Cropley10
04-01-2012, 09:56 AM
So Petrie has been and is still, even now identifying targets and negotiating their wages? Strange. Really don't know why we bother having a management team. What really impresses me is Petrie doing this and not getting paid himself. Superb.

Is he? Who's he identified? Who's he negotiating with? :confused:

Andy74
04-01-2012, 09:59 AM

What?

SMAXXA
04-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Is he? Who's he identified? Who's he negotiating with? :confused:

I was thinking just the very same :confused:

Captain Trips
04-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Loans are a sensible option for the January window IMO, to sign guys on perminent deals in Jan suggests they're being punted by their clubs otherwise they wouldnt be available....

The odd loan maybe but we have to many folk now going at seasons end, loans are more often or not players whom do not play and are usually sold on so IMO are less stable an option, every player we have had in over last few years and just about every SPL team have been free transfers for the exact reasons you give above, their clubs do not want them anymore. Regardless if thats January or in summer.

So to sign guys in summer also suggests they are being punted by club does it not? so that point you make for me is irrelevant.

What I will add is the loans we have had in over past 2/3yrs are younger guys not getting game or your Duffys, Gows and Griffiths, these are all fine in a winning settled team to bring in, right now if this is the calibur of loan then I fear, if he wants loans then as expensive as it is it has to be your Sauzee types, they have to be top drawer.

SMAXXA
04-01-2012, 10:22 AM
The odd loan maybe but we have to many folk now going at seasons end, loans are more often or not players whom do not play and are usually sold on so IMO are less stable an option, every player we have had in over last few years and just about every SPL team have been free transfers for the exact reasons you give above, their clubs do not want them anymore. Regardless if thats January or in summer.

So to sign guys in summer also suggests they are being punted by club does it not? so that point you make for me is irrelevant.

I Take ur point mate and can see where your coming from but isint the bit highlighted in bold exactly what we fans have been crying out for, a clear out? We have Griff and Towell on loan deals thats not loads of players, look at Motherwell last season they used the loan market excellently and did very well. I agree not the long term fix but may be the only way we could get a better quality player in as other clubs dont want to sell them etc.

I think the suggestion of players getting punted by clubs is a bit of a sweaping one, players no adays also let their contracts run down and see what offers they have in the summer, even with their current clubs wanting to retain them. I agree alot of clubs do just want rid of players, due to relativley high wages cutting their cloth accordingly etc, also alos of teams go with smaller squads due to this reason so there enevitibily will mean player casualties, doesnt always mean the players are gash. (big diff from a player leaving a prem / championship than being freed by say boston or sumit)

Captain Trips
04-01-2012, 10:28 AM
I Take ur point mate and can see where your coming from but isint the bit highlighted in bold exactly what we fans have been crying out for, a clear out? We have Griff and Towell on loan deals thats not loads of players, look at Motherwell last season they used the loan market excellently and did very well. I agree not the long term fix but may be the only way we could get a better quality player in as other clubs dont want to sell them etc.

I think the suggestion of players getting punted by clubs is a bit of a sweaping one, players no adays also let their contracts run down and see what offers they have in the summer, even with their current clubs wanting to retain them. I agree alot of clubs do just want rid of players, due to relativley high wages cutting their cloth accordingly etc, also alos of teams go with smaller squads due to this reason so there enevitibily will mean player casualties, doesnt always mean the players are gash. (big diff from a player leaving a prem / championship than being freed by say boston or sumit)

Sorry loans/short term deals are all one to me and it is more than 2, yes we are lucky that most of the team is bad but what if it hadnt been and we had that amount of players runing out of contract, it was rediculous situation. Our whole strikeforce before Doyle joined was out of contract before or at seasons end, the only loans that will be fit for purpose are your Sauzee's in this situation.

Saorsa
04-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Nope. We keep working, we keep trying, we keep fighting and we keep hoping. Like we have always done.as the ground get emptier and emptier.

Walter
04-01-2012, 10:42 AM

What I will add is the loans we have had in over past 2/3yrs are younger guys not getting game or your Duffys, Gows and Griffiths, these are all fine in a winning settled team to bring in, right now if this is the calibur of loan then I fear, if he wants loans then as expensive as it is it has to be your Sauzee types, they have to be top drawer.

This. It has to be a signing that is going to lift the players around him and the fans....as well as attracting others to the club.

MrRobot
04-01-2012, 10:48 AM

Like I said not sure true it is but it was in the Summer. I dont think Petrie did back him and if Brum or Nottingham offered more money than Hibs paid for him, CC would have left before the season started.
Petrie couldnt say, "This isnt the man to take us forward, but well see how it goes".

Like I said though could be bull, I hope he does offer money tho.

Saorsa
04-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Like I said not sure true it is but it was in the Summer. I dont think Petrie did back him and if Brum or Nottingham offered more money than Hibs paid for him, CC would have left before the season started.
Petrie couldnt say, "This isnt the man to take us forward, but well see how it goes".

Like I said though could be bull, I hope he does offer money tho.Deaedwood had proven how bad he was by the end of last season, Petrie should have taken what he could get or even let him go for nowt, Petrie's decision tae keep him is going tae cost far more than we would have lost.

Captain Trips
04-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Deaedwood had proven how bad he was by the end of last season, Petrie should have taken what he could get or even let him go for nowt, Petrie's decision tae keep him is going tae cost far more than we would have lost.

That was the decision that should have had RP out the club, to sack him 3/4mths after being offered money for him and thinking he was answer was a mistake to far. RP should have cleared his desk at the same time as CC.

Beefster
04-01-2012, 12:36 PM

95% of the players we sign have been punted by their club, irrespective of when we sign them. The only way to change that is to pay transfer fees or offer bigger wages and tempt Bosmans. Unfortunately, the income is shrinking so both are even more unlikely than they were.

Andy74
04-01-2012, 12:38 PM
McPake has handed in a transfer request but Coventry are looking for a fee. Dundee Utd and Dunfermline also keen, as are HEARTS?!?!

EK_Hibs
04-01-2012, 12:44 PM
James McPake's agent will just be throwing Hearts' name into the mix so he can try and negotiate higher wages for his client.
Anyone who actually believes the Yams are interested in McPake is thick as pig sh** in my opinion.

silverhibee
04-01-2012, 12:49 PM
And folk go on about JC buying duds! Looks like the biscuit tin is pretty empty.

Only crumbs left now.

Hibee87
04-01-2012, 12:57 PM
James McPake's agent will just be throwing Hearts' name into the mix so he can try and negotiate higher wages for his client.
Anyone who actually believes the Yams are interested in McPake is thick as pig sh** in my opinion.

Cant be a very good agent if he is whoring one of his players to a club who will pay him the square root of eff all for the forseable then :wink:

i remeber this guys name but cant remember much about him so cant comment on how good/or bad he is.

same with that Kevin Long we have been linked to, however i have heard good things about him. young player who had some spl and epl teams interested a few year back

Cropley10
04-01-2012, 01:04 PM
McPake has handed in a transfer request but Coventry are looking for a fee. Dundee Utd and Dunfermline also keen, as are HEARTS?!?!

Can you see him signing for Hibs? Honestly?

Golden Bear
04-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Direct quote from McPake in today's DR.

" My fitness has been good and I've probably missed only 10 days training since July. I need 10 to 12 games on the bounce then I'll be back to myself"

Sorry James - we need someone who is totally up to speed right now and not in 3 months time.

silverhibee
04-01-2012, 01:15 PM

Sure i read yesterday that Coventry were willing to let him go out on loan but any club wanting to take him would have to stump up his full wages, £4000 a week.

Captain Trips
04-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Direct quote from McPake in today's DR.

" My fitness has been good and I've probably missed only 10 days training since July. I need 10 to 12 games on the bounce then I'll be back to myself"

Sorry James - we need someone who is totally up to speed right now and not in 3 months time.

Indeed, I am not interested in continuing the short term failure route we are going down or have been, either bring in players whom are up to task and here for long term, if there are to be any loans as I said before have to be top drawer players in the Sauzee envelope

truehibernian
04-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Sure i read yesterday that Coventry were willing to let him go out on loan but any club wanting to take him would have to stump up his full wages, £4000 a week.

What about a certain DR SH.....I hear he has been keeping a wee bit fit playing 5's locally :wink:

Have to eat humble pie and say I was one that thought we would move forward without him.....how wrong I was. I would take him back in a heartbeat even if it was til end of season to put him in the shop window.

And by the way......Swizzels Selection Boxes.......how good :greengrin Cannae beat a wee parma violet this time of year.

Captain Trips
04-01-2012, 01:26 PM
What about a certain DR SH.....I hear he has been keeping a wee bit fit playing 5's locally :wink:

Have to eat humble pie and say I was one that thought we would move forward without him.....how wrong I was. I would take him back in a heartbeat even if it was til end of season to put him in the shop window.

And by the way......Swizzels Selection Boxes.......how good :greengrin Cannae beat a wee parma violet this time of year.

Half the reason we are here now is stuff like this, we are not in position to be offering guys shop window, he is a player I would be interested in for long term and if he had that long term attitude then excellent. He can be a great player but not for 4/5 mths. DR I would take in summer no probs.

We need, hard though it is even better than DR if we are looking at loans.

Andy74
04-01-2012, 01:29 PM

So, we are going to dismiss any player that we deem not good enough or from a league that isn't good enough and then any that might be allright we will dismiss them as they wouldn't come.

I see.

truehibernian
04-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Half the reason we are here now is stuff like this, we are not in position to be offering guys shop window, he is a player I would be interested in for long term and if he had that long term attitude then excellent. He can be a great player but not for 4/5 mths. DR I would take in summer no probs.

Agree in principle carlsberg, but at this precarious stage of the season, when SPL survival depends (and I mean literally depends) on goals, wins and getting to safety, we would be foolish to not even explore getting a player like Derek to help, albeit for a short term deal. If anyone would want to see the club climb the table and win games (and avoid the drop) it would be DR.

We are not creating chances, nor putting them away (the few we do). Derek has goals in him. But I do take your overall point on board.

machibby
04-01-2012, 01:52 PM
A dislocated shoulder forced him to miss a large chunk of his first full season and then a broken back left him sidelined for the second half of last season.
Although he has been available this season he has struggled to get the games needed to improve his match fitness and regain his form.
His quality has rarely been questioned but he was still finding his feet when he broke back into the team in November, and other players have since been preferred ahead of him in the pecking order.
“He said he thinks he should be playing and I told him he had chances when he came into the team but I didn’t think he was ready and right, and needed to work harder,” explained Thorn referring to the games against Doncaster, Millwall and Southampton.

“He wants to play football which is fine but I expect players to force my arm to play.
"But the minute a player doesn’t want to play they might as well move on regardless of what’s going on.
“I won’t let him go until I can use his wages to get someone else in, so hopefully we will get another one come in the minute he goes out the door.”
Thorn confirmed the club have had inquires from a number of Scottish clubs but said: “It’s all very well showing interest but they will have to pay the money.
“I may look for another centre-half because Nathan is out for six weeks or use his money to bring in another forward.”

From the Coventry Telegraph, well seems given their dire circumstances it will take a few pennies to secure the guy. Would we be willing to take the risk?

Speedway
04-01-2012, 02:11 PM
So, we are going to dismiss any player that we deem not good enough or from a league that isn't good enough and then any that might be allright we will dismiss them as they wouldn't come.

I see.

Andy, you should know that the fans have got less of a clue how to turn this round than the board or management do.

Hibs are as poor as I've seen them since the 80s. Dunfermline will save us but goodness knows where Fenlon is getting a win from as things stand.

Aldo
04-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Andy, you should know that the fans have got less of a clue how to turn this round than the board or management do.

Hibs are as poor as I've seen them since the 80s. Dunfermline will save us but goodness knows where Fenlon is getting a win from as things stand.

Derek Rodier and co!! As for his 1st win.. He will get it on sat against the blue brazil followed by his 2nd on the 14th against the Pars.

Not like me to be optimistic but that's what I think.

staunchhibby
04-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Would not say no to Deek on short term contract

random sub
04-01-2012, 05:25 PM
re signing spree, was laughing at what Harry Redknap was saying in the excellent radio 4 documentary about football management. When asked what made a good manager he said something along the lines of "two things: to know football and to sign more good players than bad ones".

Here's hoping that Fenlon has some of Harry's magic dust:agree:

Kaiser1962
04-01-2012, 06:58 PM
as the ground get emptier and emptier.

Nobody will die Dan.

Winston Ingram
04-01-2012, 07:15 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/7411217/McPake-happy-at-Coventry

leithsansiro
04-01-2012, 09:29 PM

Of course they are. We're interested, so naturally they will be too. Plus, they've clearly got cash in the bank to spend. Wonder if he'll be keen on a "paid when we see fit" kinda deal?

Cropley10
04-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Of course they are. We're interested, so naturally they will be too. Plus, they've clearly got cash in the bank to spend. Wonder if he'll be keen on a "paid when we see fit" kinda deal?

You have to wonder. Are they thinking they'll need a CH by the end of the month OR are they thinking FTH and just doing it cos they know we need better defenders?

leithsansiro
04-01-2012, 09:40 PM
You have to wonder. Are they thinking they'll need a CH by the end of the month OR are they thinking FTH and just doing it cos they know we need better defenders?

This. And because they are universally annoying.

McIntosh
04-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Indeed, I am not interested in continuing the short term failure route we are going down or have been, either bring in players whom are up to task and here for long term, if there are to be any loans as I said before have to be top drawer players in the Sauzee envelope

:top marksQuoted for truth

Sergeant Hibs
04-01-2012, 10:30 PM

:top marks agree with this 100% sick of seeing players I believe are good being not offered new contracts or being offered poor ones and being poached by the OF or other teams

Liam Miller
Derek Riordan (twice)
Chris Killen
Ian Murray
Gary Caldwell
Sol Bamba

Elephant Stone
04-01-2012, 10:39 PM
:top marks agree with this 100% sick of seeing players I believe are good being not offered new contracts or being offered poor ones and being poached by the OF or other teams

Liam Miller
Derek Riordan (twice)
Chris Killen
Ian Murray
Gary Caldwell
Sol Bamba

It was time for Miller and Riordan to move on, Bamba was signed for three years. I doubt players would be keen on committing for longer than that.

IberianHibernian
04-01-2012, 10:56 PM

Liam Miller
Derek Riordan (twice)
Chris Killen
Ian Murray
Gary Caldwell
Sol BambaAnyone who`s supported Hibs over last 40 years or more has been fed up with losing best players to OF and English clubs though I doubt many would pick out your examples as big losses though I actually think we really miss Miller ( an Australia - based Hibbie mentioned here that Miller wasn`t doing much there but he`s obviously got more talent than our present players and is type of player we`re missing especially when Osbourne doesn`t play ) . Bit about short contracts is reality of modern football - it`s been like that in rest of Europe for a long time ( clubs in Spain talk about their " project " each year or each time they change manager which is usually even more frequently ) and has become the same in Scotland with players and managers . As it is we`re stuck with players like Scott and Sproule who were given longish contracts who I`m sure Fenlon would love to get rid of now .

nortonhibby
04-01-2012, 10:57 PM

No way RP Would sanction 4k per week:confused: the man is a misor its in his blood not to spend money untill we are rid of this misor who is the one standing light through all this mess we cant move forward.
RP Has made the mess but wont sort it out. poor Paddy is left to carry the can till the day before the next AGM When RP Will pull his normal party trick out the bag.

silverhibee
04-01-2012, 11:20 PM

Yeah he has been doing some work with a fitness instructor through at his end but there is no football involved so a wee game of 5 a sides keeps the sharpness up for him, hopefully you will understand but i am doing my best not to talk about Derek regarding things, and i will leave it at that. :aok:

Got a goody bag full of sweets at Xmas, rasperry truffle bars, not had them for ages, lovely, box of choclate bananas, piling the weight on, will have to get back to the 5 a sides next week to lose some of it and show Deek how good a left foot i have, its always nice to have a wee moan at him when there is a freekick, and he still gives a good moan back.

silverhibee
04-01-2012, 11:29 PM

I understand what you are saying Carlsberg but i think Hibs will struggle to get a better player on loan than Deek if they are looking for a goalscorer.

truehibernian
04-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Yeah he has been doing some work with a fitness instructor through at his end but there is no football involved so a wee game of 5 a sides keeps the sharpness up for him, hopefully you will understand but i am doing my best not to talk about Derek regarding things, and i will leave it at that. :aok:

Got a goody bag full of sweets at Xmas, rasperry truffle bars, not had them for ages, lovely, box of choclate bananas, piling the weight on, will have to get back to the 5 a sides next week to lose some of it and show Deek how good a left foot i have, its always nice to have a wee moan at him when there is a freekick, and he still gives a good moan back.

Totally understand the DR thing bud.

But far more importantly.....were they not called Ruffle bars (raspberry).....they were tremendous....well reminded my confectionery connoisseur.

Captain Trips
05-01-2012, 01:07 AM
I understand what you are saying Carlsberg but i think Hibs will struggle to get a better player on loan than Deek if they are looking for a goalscorer.

I take your point, LG may move on so we wouldnt have a player there so yeah DR would be good.

Barney McGrew
05-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Four goals in twenty eight games between Hibs and China last calendar year would maybe suggest otherwise silver :greengrin

Having said that, a short term deal for Deek between now and the end of the season might not necessarily be a bad thing. He's at least a player that the fans have an affinity with, and that's sorely missing in the squad at the moment.

Lucius Apuleius
05-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Whoosh, double whoosh and triple whoosh. Cannot do multiple quotes on mobile. I was being sarcastic and asking a question as previous posts seem to indicate that everybody who signs for us is identified and agreed by Petrie. Comments since my posts also point to this, specifically Petrie being a "misor"

Betty Boop
05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Whoosh, double whoosh and triple whoosh. Cannot do multiple quotes on mobile. I was being sarcastic and asking a question as previous posts seem to indicate that everybody who signs for us is identified and agreed by Petrie. Comments since my posts also point to this, specifically Petrie being a "misor"

Miser surely ?

Lucius Apuleius
05-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Miser surely ?

I would guess so, only quoting nortonhibby.

silverhibee
05-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Four goals in twenty eight games between Hibs and China last calendar year would maybe suggest otherwise silver :greengrin

Having said that, a short term deal for Deek between now and the end of the season might not necessarily be a bad thing. He's at least a player that the fans have an affinity with, and that's sorely missing in the squad at the moment.

Did he play in all of these 28 games, i dont know the stats, but how many games did he play in these 28 games, how many did he come on as sub, i remember from January that he missed a few games till the end of the season, infact when the split happened i think Derek only started one game and that was the last game of the season against Aberdeen, mind you i might be wrong as well.

Andy74
05-01-2012, 08:59 PM

He'd do in the left forward role. Far better than Galbraith and Sproule surely??

nortonhibby
05-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Petrie get the money oot and sort this mess you have caused now:flag:

King Paddy
05-01-2012, 09:14 PM

Who say's he will pay, Farmer is tighter than petrielo with his soldi, as they say in Italia.

Aldo
05-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Petrie get the money oot and sort this mess you have caused now:flag:

I will say this if he doesn't we could be doomed.

I do however expect to have at least 3 new players in the squad come the 14th. (not including Doyle... Would make 4 in total)