PDA

View Full Version : Can we force the board to invest in the team??

mcfly
02-01-2012, 10:55 PM
I dont really care we have a lovely empty ground or that our training ground is 2nd to none.

What i do care about is the dross that our board and their previous terrible choices for managers choose to put on the pitch.

how much are these financial geniuses costing hibs in terms of lost season ticket money?? - must run into at least a million.

in all my years of watching hibs i have never seen a worse team of non creative rubbish with so little natural ability it is scary.

why dont we spend most of our budget on 3-4 quality experienced players and fill the rest with youth?

this board and the penny pinching ways will see us in the SFL.

Sort it now and this week or face relegation

Eyrie
02-01-2012, 10:58 PM
I assume that all of the posters demanding investment in the team will praise Petrie when we bring in new players, just as I will criticise him if that doesn't happen.

Spike Mandela
02-01-2012, 11:56 PM
I assume that all of the posters demanding investment in the team will praise Petrie when we bring in new players, just as I will criticise him if that doesn't happen.

Money is always provided and players are always brought in at every window unfortunately the money isn't enough to bring in good players.

We need REAL investment but we all know we can't afford it so PF will be running around trying to sign various players for our weak positions with a relative pittance. If he doesn't have an eye for a bargain basement gem we are ****ed. Same goes for all teams outwith OF and Hearts (until lately)

As far as I know Mr Petrie has invested no money in Hibs.

Franck Stanton
03-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Now I stand to be corrected here but can remember reading on .Net that we had £2 million lying in a bank account for emergencies - well if correct use it now as by god it is an emergency situation we currently find ourselves in just now.

Saorsa
03-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Now I stand to be corrected here but can remember reading on .Net that we had £2 million lying in a bank account for emergencies - well if correct use it now as by god it is an emergency situation we currently find ourselves in just now.Probably went towards the extra empty seats.

Ryan69
03-01-2012, 12:08 AM

Surely if Petrie was to invest OP would be happy,thats the point hes making surely?

Nailrod
03-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Can we force the board to invest in the team?

No. We have no leverage over the board. None of the board stand to lose any money if we go down. None of the board have any money invested in the club. Nobody else stands to lose any money if we go down. The club's shares are backed up by valuable real estate that is owned by the club in its entirety and which significantly outweighs any debt. Any outstanding mortgages are small enough that they can be comfortably repaid even with minimal income (e.g. first division revenues), simply by cutting costs on the playing side.

ScottB
03-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Why are people convinced more money is the answer?

Do people think we are spending a pittance? The Board have sanctioned spending beyond our means over the last couple seasons as it is.

How much are we currently spending compared to Motherwell or St Johnstone? Calderwood and Hughes both squandered comparatively large budgets when compared to any SPL club outside of the Old Firm and Hearts. Fenlon is 2 days into a transfer window and already has 1 new player on board.

So, where is the evidence that Fenlon isn't going to be backed at this juncture? Secondly, where is this mythical 'extra' money to come from? Given that we are already spending more than most of our rivals, what evidence is there that more money will change anything?

machibby
03-01-2012, 01:16 AM
Think I'm going to vote with my feet. I understand the realities of the financial restrictions, but unless the club invest in some decent players then I ain't pi$$ing into the wind again. Totally and utterly fed up with the excuse for a footballing team we have. Maybe it's easy to say with hind sight, but if the club had kept as much an eye on investing in the team as they have in the stadium and training ground I don't think we'd be watching this dross. Do the board honestly realise the extent of the mire we are in? To me it's more than just the league position, I think as a group of fans we've never had such a feeling of despondency and unless there are clear signs that an all out effort is being made to sort the team out, I don't think anything's going to change. Not entirely sure what Rod Petrie does at the club now, but I'd rather have his wage for the team budget and have him paying for his own prawn sarnies.

matty_f
03-01-2012, 01:19 AM

Do people think we are spending a pittance? The Board have sanctioned spending beyond our means over the last couple seasons as it is.

How much are we currently spending compared to Motherwell or St Johnstone? Calderwood and Hughes both squandered comparatively large budgets when compared to any SPL club outside of the Old Firm and Hearts. Fenlon is 2 days into a transfer window and already has 1 new player on board.

So, where is the evidence that Fenlon isn't going to be backed at this juncture? Secondly, where is this mythical 'extra' money to come from? Given that we are already spending more than most of our rivals, what evidence is there that more money will change anything?

Scott, usually I'm right on board with the fact that the board have and do back the managers with a competitive budget. My point now is that at the moment, giving Fenlon what's left of the season's budget is unlikely to be enough to improve the team. We cannot undo the spending that CC was responsible for, nor Yogi's - there is a burden there that is already included in the competitive budget that is showing so far to be entirely un-competitive in terms of the results we're getting from it.

The board need to get a sizable amount of money to bring in players that we can realistically expect to be the spine of the team for the next 2-3 years, IMHO. Where that money comes from is the board's job to sort out.

The consequences of not spending and bringing in sufficient quality is that we don't improve our league position, we revolve the manager's door once again, we overhaul the squad once again and so on, and so on, season after season after season. Worse, we could very realistically be relegated without good players coming into the side now. In the long run, that is a far, far more expensive path than finding the money now.

How do we run the training center on a first division income? Do we end up having to close a stand like Dunfermline are doing? Where are we finding the money from the lost season tickets that result from relegation or consistent bottom 6 finishes? Where do we replace the money from the lost visits of the OF and the Yams from not finishing top 6?

The board have to find/borrow/generate the money to bring in significant quality in this transfer window. The alternative just doesn't bear thinking about.

cabbageandribs1875
03-01-2012, 02:13 AM
why dont we spend most of our budget on 3-4 quality experienced players and fill the rest with youth?

this board and the penny pinching ways will see us in the SFL.

Sort it now and this week or face relegation

i distinctly remember a CC interview where he stated he would be going down the 'quality over quantity' route, for example, paying higher wages for 3-4 players with more quality than 6-7 with very average ability, defo the way to go, but for whatever reason, it didn't quite pan out that way(obviously) :-(

Baader
03-01-2012, 02:20 AM
i distinctly remember a CC interview where he stated he would be going down the 'quality over quantity' route, for example, paying higher wages for 3-4 players with more quality than 6-7 with very average ability, defo the way to go, but for whatever reason, it didn't quite pan out that way(obviously) :-(

The only 'quality' that idiot Calderwood can recognise is Quality Street.

Can't even bear to picture that clown without an ensuing episode of rage. There's a lot wrong with Hibs right now but I lay most of the blame of our current situation squarely at the feet of that sweet-toothed loser.

Steven_Hibs
03-01-2012, 02:39 AM
The only 'quality' that idiot Calderwood can recognise is Quality Street.

Can't even bear to picture that clown without an ensuing episode of rage. There's a lot wrong with Hibs right now but I lay most of the blame of our current situation squarely at the feet of that sweet-toothed loser.

That was funny :top marks:greengrin:thumbsup:

silverhibee
03-01-2012, 03:41 AM

What about STF, yes i know he saved us and has invested in the club, but c'mon he is worth about £400m surely he can invest in his investment, has he ever invested money in to the players budget, when things are bad at a club the fans expect there owner to put money in to the team and bail them out of a mess, our owner cant even be bothered to turn up and watch his club.

silverhibee
03-01-2012, 03:43 AM

It will have something to do with the wage cap at Hibs.

Beefster
03-01-2012, 03:52 AM
Folk expecting major investment in the team this month are kidding themselves IMHO. Aside from the fact that signing quality early in January, inevitably, means a fee, what quality player is going to sign for a team that looks like going down?

We'll sign a couple of 'might do well, probably won't's' on short-term contracts and, if we are flukey enough to avoid relegation, we'll be going through the same stuff again in the summer. Rodders is never going to splash the (major) cash with the risk of relegation and the hugely decreased turnover that brings hanging over us.

As usual at Hibs, I wouldn't be surprised for them to only act when it's too late.

cocopops1875
03-01-2012, 05:56 AM
Think I'm going to vote with my feet. I understand the realities of the financial restrictions, but unless the club invest in some decent players then I ain't pi$$ing into the wind again. Totally and utterly fed up with the excuse for a footballing team we have. Maybe it's easy to say with hind sight, but if the club had kept as much an eye on investing in the team as they have in the stadium and training ground I don't think we'd be watching this dross. Do the board honestly realise the extent of the mire we are in? To me it's more than just the league position, I think as a group of fans we've never had such a feeling of despondency and unless there are clear signs that an all out effort is being made to sort the team out, I don't think anything's going to change. Not entirely sure what Rod Petrie does at the club now, but I'd rather have his wage for the team budget and have him paying for his own prawn sarnies.
Great rant then you messed it all up with misinformed Rod Petrie nonsense,Rod is no longer drawing a wage from the club Rod may however be getting free sandwiches

hibsbollah
03-01-2012, 06:06 AM
We can't force the club to do anything.

Our only option is to hope Fenlon scrapes survival this season, by deploying eye-bleeding 451 and being slightly less ganting than the Pars, and then waves a magic wand in the summer.

An exciting prospect for 2012:flag::pfgwa:aok:

Iain G
03-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Hibs.net is brought to you in conjunction with the Samaritans...

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 09:12 AM
What about STF, yes i know he saved us and has invested in the club, but c'mon he is worth about £400m surely he can invest in his investment, has he ever invested money in to the players budget, when things are bad at a club the fans expect there owner to put money in to the team and bail them out of a mess, our owner cant even be bothered to turn up and watch his club.

£136m according to the Sunday Times this year. 513th on their list.

And he is already in the region off £10m-£12m out of pocket from owning Hibs.

As "investments" go he will have better ones.

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Great rant then you messed it all up with misinformed Rod Petrie nonsense,Rod is no longer drawing a wage from the club Rod may however be getting free sandwiches

Or car or pension contributions or medical insurance or bonus or other benefits in kind :dunno:

cocopops1875
03-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Prove any of the above TQM or is it just another loaded comment?. I would doubt the car, but may well get any of the above the fact is he is not taking a wage I would imagne any bonus would be related to performance, as for insurance and pension I think that would be more than fair

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Prove any of the above TQM or is it just another loaded comment?. I would doubt the car, but may well get any of the above the fact is he is not taking a wage I would imagne any bonus would be related to performance, as for insurance and pension I think that would be more than fair

More of a question - but no one will have the answer. I'll ask at next year's AGM :wink:

Jack
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm glad I'm not on the board. They're goosed whatever they do.

If they carry on the way we have been then there's a good chance of relegation. If they spend spend spend spend the way we have been run at break even will have been for nothing and we're no better than those we accuse of cheating.

Previous incumbents have let us all down.

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 09:41 AM
£136m according to the Sunday Times this year. 513th on their list.

And he is already in the region off £10m-£12m out of pocket from owning Hibs.

As "investments" go he will have better ones.

We are a poor investment, but imagine the damage another 99 RP's could make to STF's wealth :faf:

supersauzee
03-01-2012, 09:41 AM
We shouldnt have to force any of the board to do anything as they should be seeing for themselves that major investment is needed.

To not even muster a decent scoring chance yesterday was a disgrace. I dont think Fenlon should have played 1 up front either but he is only working with the utter dross he has inherited.

Bottom line is if Farmer/Petrie dont invest soon then we will get relegated!

I was watching vids of the old 98/99/00 hibs team and feel so sad that we cant have a team like that anymore! :(

James McPake has been mentioned in the Sun today as a signing target which would be a great start as he is a quality player! I would also like to see El Alagui from Falkirk brought in along with Dougie Imrie from Hamilton, Hasselbaink from St Mirren, Pascali from Kilmarnock and a couple of real wingers to replace the imposters Galbraith and Sproule!!

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 09:42 AM

If he is carrying out work for Hibs then he is entitled to be paid, expenses if nothing else.

That said if STF wanted to extract him from the paperwork at ER then it would be very simple as he is also a director in a number of other Farmer companies.

Saorsa
03-01-2012, 10:12 AM
If he is carrying out work for Hibs then he is entitled to be paid, expenses if nothing else.

That said if STF wanted to extract him from the paperwork at ER then it would be very simple as he is also a director in a number of other Farmer companies.Well maybe STF should extract him them because his presence there is now keeping a number of people away from Easter Road. I know several people myself that winnae be back until Petrie is completely out the picture.

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Well maybe STF should extract him them because his presence there is now keeping a number of people away from Easter Road. I know several people myself that winnae be back until Petrie is completely out the picture.

The team is crap that is what is keeping people away. Nobody would give a rat's arse who was running what if we were winning.

Winston Ingram
03-01-2012, 10:15 AM
The ground is there but our current batch of loyal followers are following so therefore no money, no signings:agree:

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Well maybe STF should extract him them because his presence there is now keeping a number of people away from Easter Road. I know several people myself that winnae be back until Petrie is completely out the picture.

I said same but relented for the Killie game. But I'm with you J - away games since and for the rest of this season. Have Cowden and the Pars to 'look forward' to!!

Saorsa
03-01-2012, 10:18 AM
The team is crap that is what is keeping people away. Nobody would give a rat's arse who was running what if we were winning.I'm telling you I ken people that are staying away because of him, that wisnae an opinion but a fact.

matty_f
03-01-2012, 10:19 AM
I said same but relented for the Killie game. But I'm with you J - away games since and for the rest of this season. Have Cowden and the Pars to 'look forward' to!!
Jings that's some stand you're taking there, TQM!! You were never at Easter Road anyway! That's like me telling Ferrari I'll not be buying from them!

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm telling you I ken people that are staying away because of him, that wisnae an opinion but a fact.

I'm not saying it's not Dan.

cocopops1875
03-01-2012, 10:30 AM

So do you think the tash is not running the club according to the owners wishes ? So would a tash substitute be any different ? Would your several people come back purely if the tash left ? Or would it take a change in spending policy going forward ?

Dirkster23
03-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Jings that's some stand you're taking there, TQM!! You were never at Easter Road anyway! That's like me telling Ferrari I'll not be buying from them!

:top marks

Spot on Matty. It always amazes me the nonsense TQM comes up with to try and justify his non attendance at ER.

nortonhibby
03-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Petrie works for free he takes nothing in wages from the club as he said at the AGM.

Saorsa
03-01-2012, 11:21 AM
So do you think the tash is not running the club according to the owners wishes ? So would a tash substitute be any different ? Would your several people come back purely if the tash left ? Or would it take a change in spending policy going forward ?I cannae speak for them so why ask me that? All I do ken is what they have said and that is they winnae be back as long as he is there.

cocopops1875
03-01-2012, 11:27 AM
I cannae speak for them so why ask me that? All I do ken is what they have said and that is they winnae be back as long as he is there.

Em because you know them . Simple question is it not ? As your posting their feelings on the board I didn't feel it would be too much of a stretch that you might know what their stance would be ?

Saorsa
03-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Em because you know them . Simple question is it not ? As your posting their feelings on the board I didn't feel it would be too much of a stretch that you might know what their stance would be ?I have posted what they have telt me, simple that eh? I cannae post what they havenae telt me and I'll no be puting words in folks mouths just tae satisfy you ok!

cocopops1875
03-01-2012, 11:36 AM
I have posted what they have telt me, simple that eh? I cannae post what they havenae telt me and I'll no be puting words in folks mouths just tae satisfy you ok!

Alas I leave unsatisfied OK ! Haha magic

machibby
03-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Petrie works for free he takes nothing in wages from the club as he said at the AGM.

Well at least there's something to cheer me up today. In this case I have to retract that part of my rant and I sincerely hope he enjoyed his sarnies.

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 01:00 PM
:top marks

Spot on Matty. It always amazes me the nonsense TQM comes up with to try and justify his non attendance at ER.

:greengrin

Fewer tossers at away games :wink:

blackpoolhibs
03-01-2012, 01:02 PM

Me too Matty, thats me finished with slimfast.

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 01:04 PM

:greengrin I can afford to go to ER. If you could afford a Ferrari I'm sure you'd have one. I've been to ER more times than other posters but still the sheep pile on with this insult. Good stuff.

King Paddy
03-01-2012, 01:27 PM

Silverhibee,
Lets be certain about Farmer he is not never has been and never will be a benefactor for Hibernain football club. I know this from first experience of meeting him when i was a member of H.O.H. He will never speculate to accumulate which has been to the detriment of the football club during his 20 year legacy. Before we were relegated in 98 and in a similair position to the present he would not dip into his millions and help us out during our hour of need. The thing is many fans on hibs.net see him as a saviour, believe it or not farmer has benefited big time from owning hibs. Land at straton.
Butterfly site etc. He and Petrie have completely asset stripped the golden generation and now he has nothing left to sell on as we head towards 1st div. Will Farmer and Petrie survive another relegation. ? who knows, but where we failed as a pressure group a new one might force Farmer to sell.

greenlex
03-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Silverhibee,
Lets be certain about Farmer he is not never has been and never will be a benefactor for Hibernain football club. I know this from first experience of meeting him when i was a member of H.O.H. He will never speculate to accumulate which has been to the detriment of the football club during his 20 year legacy. Before we were relegated in 98 and in a similair position to the present he would not dip into his millions and help us out during our hour of need. The thing is many fans on hibs.net see him as a saviour, believe it or not farmer has benefited big time from owning hibs. Land at straton.
Butterfly site etc. He and Petrie have completely asset stripped the golden generation and now he has nothing left to sell on as we head towards 1st div. Will Farmer and Petrie survive another relegation. ? who knows, but where we failed as a pressure group a new one might force Farmer to sell.
Did I miss the bit where Farmer bought the land at straiton and the Butterfly site to Farmer? What a pie of *****.

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Me too Matty, thats me finished with slimfast.

Aye - it doesnae work :wink:

Eyrie
03-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Surely if Petrie was to invest OP would be happy,thats the point hes making surely?
And my point is that Petrie has always ensured that funds are made available for the manager to invest in the team, but many posters overlook this when demanding money be spent. The problem is that successive managers have made a complete arse of their job.

Did I miss the bit where Farmer bought the land at straiton and the Butterfly site to Farmer? What a pie of *****.
I've heard in the past that Farmer did acquire the land at Straiton from Duff/Gray as this was linked to his acquisition of the club. From memory (so probably unreliable) they had purchased that land using a separate company and were talking of moving us to a new stadium there.

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 03:00 PM
And my point is that Petrie has always ensured that funds are made available for the manager to invest in the team, but many posters overlook this when demanding money be spent. The problem is that successive managers have made a complete arse of their job.

I've heard in the past that Farmer did acquire the land at Straiton from Duff/Gray as this was linked to his acquisition of the club. From memory (so probably unreliable) they had purchased that land using a separate company and were talking of moving us to a new stadium there.

Not true.

Kaiser1962
03-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Silverhibee,

What a crock of sheight this is.

Caversham Green
03-01-2012, 03:13 PM

I don't know if that's true or not, but what you're saying is that Farmer bought the land from a company that wasn't Hibs, never involved Hibs in the land (although he had plans to) and I believe has now sold the land to another company that isn't Hibs.

In short his dealings regarding the land at Straiton does not involve Hibs in any way.

Silverhibee,

In what way did he benefit from the Butterfly site episode?

Eyrie
03-01-2012, 03:42 PM
I don't know if that's true or not, but what you're saying is that Farmer bought the land from a company that wasn't Hibs, never involved Hibs in the land (although he had plans to) and I believe has now sold the land to another company that isn't Hibs.

In short his dealings regarding the land at Straiton does not involve Hibs in any way.
I think Farmer's acquisitions of both club and land were linked at the time (could have been to do with guarantees between the two companies or a common lender involved with both). It was Duff/Gray who looked to move us to Straiton.

I'll concede that's my memory of what happened 20 years ago, and it may simply have been a coincidence that Farmer picked up both at the same time.

Dirkster23
03-01-2012, 04:08 PM
:greengrin

Fewer tossers at away games :wink:

Fewer maybe, but nonetheless they're still there :wink:

IWasThere2016
03-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Fewer maybe, but nonetheless they're still there :wink:

True :wink:

The Falcon
03-01-2012, 04:13 PM
I think Farmer's acquisitions of both club and land were linked at the time (could have been to do with guarantees between the two companies or a common lender involved with both). It was Duff/Gray who looked to move us to Straiton.

I'll concede that's my memory of what happened 20 years ago, and it may simply have been a coincidence that Farmer picked up both at the same time.

Duff and Gray were long gone before any proposed move to Straiton was ever mentioned.