PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Neil Austin

Cletus
02-01-2012, 09:33 PM
We are allegedly after the above player. Right back from Hartlepool.

monktonharp
02-01-2012, 09:35 PM
We are allegedly after the above player. Right back from Hartlepool.ex-Hartlepool defender, aye that sounds about right.:cb

SteveHFC
02-01-2012, 09:36 PM
http://twitter.com/Kenny_Millar

@Kenny_Millar (http://www.hibs.net/#!/Kenny_Millar)Kenny Millar Final shameless plug for the paper - Hibs are tracking Hartlepool right-back Neil Austin to fill their problem position

Baader
02-01-2012, 09:38 PM
http://twitter.com/Kenny_Millar

@Kenny_Millar (http://www.hibs.net/#!/Kenny_Millar)Kenny Millar Final shameless plug for the paper - Hibs are tracking Hartlepool right-back Neil Austin to fill their problem position

Singular?

That's a good one!

ALF TUPPER
02-01-2012, 09:39 PM

Postive news is always good. Cheers.

Could probably do with Steve Austin these days ......... Doubt President Rodders would santion USD 1Million :wink:

PeterboroHibee
02-01-2012, 09:45 PM
He gets a game for Hartlepool (presumably on better wages), why would he come to a team who are second bottom of the SPL?

jax67
Postive news is always good. Cheers.

Could probably do with Steve Austin these days ......... Doubt President Rodders would santion USD 1Million :wink:

That rules out Steve Austin then, they'll want six million for him!!:greengrin

Cletus
He sounds decent enough on wiki other than some previous ankle issues. Surely can't be any worse than what we've got in that position!

Cletus
02-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I've been told that our available budget is very decent. Make of that what you will.....

PeterboroHibee
02-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I've been told that our available budget is very decent. Make of that what you will.....

I hope so. We will need it to get out of this mess.

The Falcon
02-01-2012, 10:04 PM

CC described his as "perfect".

SteveHFC
02-01-2012, 10:06 PM

Will believe when i see what type of players we buy :aok:

Hibby70
02-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Will believe when i see what type of players we buy :aok:
David Weir.

Hibbyradge
02-01-2012, 10:40 PM

:agree:

steakbake
03-01-2012, 01:17 AM
ex-Hartlepool defender, aye that sounds about right.:cb

Yeah hope it goes better than that time we got that Jones guy from the giants of Grimsby and the first time we got Sproule from the famous Institute.

Edinburgh Green
03-01-2012, 10:47 AM
these are some comments about Austin on the Hartlepool messageboard.

Totally right Haslam, Austin has been dire this season.
About 6 of them need dropping and or binning.

Austin has been absolutely diabolical in 90% of our games, and poor in the other 10% of games.

Horwood and Austin have been cack ALL season,

Austin is piss poor like. Hartley has been the only defender worthy of a place this season but he had a poor one today.

BEEJ
03-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Austin has been absolutely diabolical in 90% of our games, and poor in the other 10% of games.

Austin is piss poor like. Hartley has been the only defender worthy of a place this season but he had a poor one today.
And if Barnsley fans had logged on here to find out about Vaz Te before he joined them they would have read very similar comments.

Edinburgh Green
03-01-2012, 10:58 AM
And if Barnsley fans had logged on here to find out about Vaz Te before he joined them they would have read very similar comments.

No they wouldn't, Vaz Te split opinions, I liked, there was not one positive post about Austin on their website.

keep the faith
03-01-2012, 11:03 AM
David Weir.

Experience maybe, but he is just too old. We did that kind of thing with Wilkins last time we were about to do down and it was a disaster.

You may get away with weir with good players around him but he will be utterly exposed in our team. Huge no from me.

Elephant Stone
03-01-2012, 11:08 AM

CC made the mistake of thinking that poor players in lower English leagues would become stars in our league, probably due to not knowing enough about the Scottish league. I hope Fenlon doesn't make the same mistake. If that's the consensus at Hartlepool then I'd rather we stayed clear, we should be going for players who are currently playing well at their clubs.

Andy74
03-01-2012, 11:14 AM
CC made the mistake of thinking that poor players in lower English leagues would become stars in our league, probably due to not knowing enough about the Scottish league. I hope Fenlon doesn't make the same mistake. If that's the consensus at Hartlepool then I'd rather we stayed clear, we should be going for players who are currently playing well at their clubs.

The problem is, particularly in January, we are not going to be able to get players who are playing well for their current club unless they are from significantly smaller clubs and worth next to nothing, or indeed nothing.

Our market is always going to be spotting somone that might work out better for us than at their current club.

One reason Ireland will be getting looked at is because there are going to be players out of contract or available in their off season, and Fenlon will be aware of them.

justlikebrazil
03-01-2012, 11:52 AM

just what we need when club in crisis! If any truth in this then f*** off hibs

Benny Brazil
03-01-2012, 12:05 PM

:confused:

Have you seen the guy play? Do you know if we are actually signing him or if we are just looking?
I would suggest calming down until we see what happens - or is it now the .Net way to dismiss a player because of who he plays for or what other teams fans think of them?

Andy74
03-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Talk me through that one will you!?

SMAXXA
03-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Have you seen the guy play? Do you know if we are actually signing him or if we are just looking?
I would suggest calming down until we see what happens - or is it now the .Net way to dismiss a player because of who he plays for or what other teams fans think of them?

:agree:

I agree, stupid comments imo

justlikebrazil
03-01-2012, 02:27 PM

I would suggest calming down until we see what happens - or is it now the .Net way to dismiss a player because of who he plays for or what other teams fans think of them? just would be good that we signed a player that we had all seen play like maybe someone from the spl or is that 2 ambitious for hibs!! Dont think its a time for taken a gamble would you?

hibee62
03-01-2012, 02:37 PM
just would be good that we signed a player that we had all seen play like maybe someone from the spl or is that 2 ambitious for hibs!! Dont think its a time for taken a gamble would you?

Like Colin Nish or John Rankin?

Aldo
03-01-2012, 02:41 PM
just would be good that we signed a player that we had all seen play like maybe someone from the spl or is that 2 ambitious for hibs!! Dont think its a time for taken a gamble would you?

JLB

Sorry but how do we know the boy Austin is nae good just cos we haven't seen him play.

David Murphy, Chris Hogg, Rob Jones, boozy, Killen to name but a few.

We never knew much about them before they signed but did Alrite for us??

Will wait and see how things pan out and who comes in before I say they are not good enough.

The_Todd
03-01-2012, 02:44 PM

He's Defo Hibs Class then.

shagpile
03-01-2012, 02:50 PM

The opposite of what the majority of M K Dons fans said of O'Hanlon. & a roaring success he has turned out to be.:confused:

Andy74
03-01-2012, 03:07 PM
2001–2007 Barnsley 148 (0)
2002 → Gateshead (loan)[1] 3 (0)
2007–2009 Darlington 62 (5)
2009– Hartlepool United 79 (6)

Good age, decent clubs, plenty games, not moved around much.

Seems about as good as we can expect if we are looking for a real right back with some experience.

brydekirk
03-01-2012, 05:07 PM
A right back played in a right back position, mmm, this might catch on !!

justlikebrazil
03-01-2012, 06:39 PM
2001–2007 Barnsley 148 (0)
2002 → Gateshead (loan)[1] 3 (0)
2007–2009 Darlington 62 (5)
2009– Hartlepool United 79 (6)

Good age, decent clubs, plenty games, not moved around much.

Seems about as good as we can expect if we are looking for a real right back with some experience.

Decent clubs!! Sorry andy not for me and if that's the best hibs can do deary deary me :top marks

JimBHibees
03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Decent clubs!! Sorry andy not for me and if that's the best hibs can do deary deary me :top marks

Dani Alves wanted to come but preferred the weather in Barca. :greengrin

Aldo
03-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Dani Alves wanted to come but preferred the weather in Barca. :greengrin

Heard the NO 26 doesn't go by the Nou Camp so that's that one gone!

Benny Brazil
03-01-2012, 07:11 PM

I'mm confused by what your expecting from Hibs and what the point of your posts are - decent clubs but not for you?? Tell us who we should sign then? Who is available who we could afford who would improve the right back position?

justlikebrazil
03-01-2012, 09:48 PM
I'mm confused by what your expecting from Hibs and what the point of your posts are - decent clubs but not for you?? Tell us who we should sign then? Who is available who we could afford who would improve the right back position?

Richard Foster or Sean Dillon between them over 300 spl games!!! You think Aberdeen or Utd would knock back a decent offer!!! :flag:

CallumLaidlaw
03-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Richard Foster or Sean Dillon between them over 300 spl games!!! You think Aberdeen or Utd would knock back a decent offer!!! :flag:

You think we have the cash to make a decent offer?

Personally can't see us BUYING any players except for a nominal fee.
Hence why we're hearing rumours about LOI players and recently released players

justlikebrazil
03-01-2012, 10:12 PM

Callum I think we have to find the cash because of the position we are in and the thought of relegation in this present climate is unthinkable! I would love if we found a couple of stars in the LOI for next to nothing but do we gamble at this stage?

The Falcon
04-01-2012, 06:28 AM

What if the players we try to get dont want to come?

Beefster
04-01-2012, 07:33 AM
What if the players we try to get dont want to come?

I don't think we should even try for players who might possibly not want to come. Rejection destroys the soul

brog
04-01-2012, 09:47 AM

On Monday we lost to a team which had signings from Stenhousemuir ( Templeton ) & Arbroath originally( Webster ) on the pitch & if Stevenson wasn't on strike there would have been one from Ayr. Based on your logic none of these players would have been good enough for Hibs.

justlikebrazil
04-01-2012, 10:31 AM
On Monday we lost to a team which had signings from Stenhousemuir ( Templeton ) & Arbroath originally( Webster ) on the pitch & if Stevenson wasn't on strike there would have been one from Ayr. Based on your logic none of these players would have been good enough for Hibs.All im saying at the present time it would be better to TRY and sign player doing it for there clubs in the SPL. So take it you are saying wee should take a gamble and sign players from the likes of arbroath and stenhousemuir at this dodgy time!!!

RIP
04-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Wouldn't it be great if just once we could stop signing dud journeymen pros.

http://www.hartlepool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=267786

Hartlepool want rid of the guy and their fans are willing to drive him anywhere

We have Hanlon (who did well on Saturday), Hart, Wotherspoon and Taggart on loan

No way Fenlon should be allowed to block the careers of our young players with (yet another) journeyman on his way out

Baldy Foghorn
04-01-2012, 01:15 PM

We have Hanlon (who did well on Saturday), Hart, Wotherspoon and Taggart on loan

No way Fenlon should be allowed to block the careers of our young players with (yet another) journeyman on his way out

Hart should be nowhere near a first team jersey IMO

HibbyKeith
04-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Hart should be nowhere near a first team jersey IMO

I'd argue he shouldnt be anywhere near the club mate. if thats the standard of spl defenders we have all missed our calling, you could take anyone of our supporters with average football ability to east mains, get them fit enough to run about like a maniac for 90mins and they would walk right into the hibs team infront of Hart.

Top Pans Hibby
04-01-2012, 02:49 PM

1st Division here we come.....

The_Horde
04-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Where did you see this? One of the comments underneath the article seem to contradict your post..

Not a fan of this idea as I'd actually go as far as to say Austin has been our best defender this season (not that there's much competition mind - Horwood's been okay, Collins is past it, Liddle looks like he's just playing out his contract until he can leave for nowt in the summer and Hartley's confidence looks shot). In fact, I think we should only do this if we can include a clause in the contract that they agree to take Nish back off us as part of the deal and offer us an apology for offloading him on us in the first place!

Read more: http://www.hartlepool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=267786#ixzz1iVUnwLlT

They can keep Nishy though.

SteveHFC
04-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Jesus Christ they must be desperate. As has already been stated, if their scout has been watching him this season and they are still interested he wants sacking !

What do people think he would fetch in the transfer market ?

2 rolls of tartan ? 10 sticks of Edinburgh Rock ? A Scottish fiver ?

Prick :aok:

http://www.pooliebunker.co.uk/newbunker/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42846&start=0

Eyrie
04-01-2012, 07:23 PM
I'd argue he shouldnt be anywhere near the club mate. if thats the standard of spl defenders we have all missed our calling, you could take anyone of our supporters with average football ability to east mains, get them fit enough to run about like a maniac for 90mins and they would walk right into the hibs team infront of Hart.
As a fan of decidedly below average ability I resent the implication that I am worse than Hart. Just not sure I have any pace left :(

Hibernia Na Eir
04-01-2012, 07:39 PM
agreed. his previous clubs are all rank. this would do Nowt for me.

Elephant Stone
04-01-2012, 07:47 PM
;3062477']Where did you see this? One of the comments underneath the article seem to contradict your post..

If Hibs are watching, and still want to sign, they need to fire their scout.

yes please

revenge for Colin Nish. Thats karma.

I can drop him off on my way thru Edinburgh after the Rochdale game on Saturday if it helps?

Jesus Christ they must be desperate. As has already been stated, if their scout has been watching him this season and they are still interested he wants sacking !

Seriously their scout should be sacked if he has been impressed by him.

To quote a few.

There are some kinder comments as well but an overwhelming amount of the above.

carnoustiehibee
04-01-2012, 07:54 PM
The all have made a point that alot on here have missed. A big reason, if not the biggest reason for our failure over the last few seasons has been our scouting system. If that is, one even exists.

brog
05-01-2012, 09:57 AM
All im saying at the present time it would be better to TRY and sign player doing it for there clubs in the SPL. So take it you are saying wee should take a gamble and sign players from the likes of arbroath and stenhousemuir at this dodgy time!!!

If that was all you were saying that would be fine but it's not, your original comment is below.

My point is a player should be judged entirely on his merits & not on where he currently happens to be playing. Dundee Utd in recent years have signed the likes of Gomis, Dixon, Robertson, Swanson & Conway from lower league clubs ( including Cowdenbeath & Berwick ) & most of those players are now internationalists & would greatly improve our team. Lets give any player who pulls on the jersey an opportunity to prove themselves & don't castigate them before you've even seen them.

brydekirk
06-01-2012, 04:37 AM

Too late for foster, Mc innes is signing him today

steakbake
06-01-2012, 07:07 AM
The all have made a point that alot on here have missed. A big reason, if not the biggest reason for our failure over the last few seasons has been our scouting system. If that is, one even exists.

Player reports that wouldnt fill the back of a fag packet filed by people motivated by all but goodwill. Also a seeming inability to pay the going rate for talent means we lose out on some of those players we ought to be bringing in.

We'll see if anything will change in this window but I wouldn't hold your breath.

steakbake
06-01-2012, 07:08 AM

Fair enough, I'd say.

Beefster
06-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Player reports that wouldnt fill the back of a fag packet filed by people motivated by all but goodwill. Also a seeming inability to pay the going rate for talent means we lose out on some of those players we ought to be bringing in.

We'll see if anything will change in this window but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Who is ultimately responsible for the scouting operation? Presumably it's not entrusted to managers, each of whom is unlikely to last beyond the next AGM?

spike220
06-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Okay folks I am going to drop the bomb, I strongly suspect we dont have a scouting network (as such). I keep hearing people blaming our scouting network, there is no evidence of scouting network. We may enlist the services of scouts form time to time, but to suggest we have a network of scouts scouring Europe for the best next things seems like a far fetched fantasy to me.

Can someone with some knowledge please explian the extent of scouting capabilities at ER?

GGTTH

E10 Rifle
06-01-2012, 07:24 AM
The only player worth considering at Hartlepool is Monkhouse. Adam Boyd might have been a consideration a few years ago but he looks like he couldn't be bothered for the past few years - shame.

Aldo
06-01-2012, 07:25 AM

He's off ski and they are re signing Anderson and Reynolds from Sheffield Weds.

brydekirk
06-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Who is ultimately responsible for the scouting operation? Presumably it's not entrusted to managers, each of whom is unlikely to last beyond the next AGM?

Might be wrong but i'm sure Yogi done his own scouting,

Beefster
06-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Might be wrong but i'm sure Yogi done his own scouting,

I meant more about how it's set up and who runs the dept. If the only scouting carried out by Hibs is by the manager of the day, we don't have a scouting operation. If that was true, it would be incredible for a club that relies on not paying transfer fees and selling players on to avoid losses.

I can't believe that those running the club are so negligent as to not have some sort of structured scouting.

Andy74
06-01-2012, 08:50 AM
I meant more about how it's set up and who runs the dept. If the only scouting carried out by Hibs is by the manager of the day, we don't have a scouting operation. If that was true, it would be incredible for a club that relies on not paying transfer fees and selling players on to avoid losses.

I can't believe that those running the club are so negligent as to not have some sort of structured scouting.

We have a scouting co-ordiantor and so my guess is that we have some scouts to co-ordinate.

viccypark
10-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Austin has been crap for the last 2 seasons,but you give us Colin Nish,so it should even things up.

HibbyAndy
10-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Austin has been crap for the last 2 seasons,but you give us Colin Nish,so it should even things up.

:tee hee:

keep the faith
10-01-2012, 12:51 PM

Austin must be bad If Nish only evens things up!!

Dashing Bob S
10-01-2012, 12:53 PM
CC described his as "perfect".

But he was speaking hypothetically, ie: would be perfect for a manager had we had one in post.

Dashing Bob S
10-01-2012, 12:57 PM
The only player worth considering at Hartlepool is Monkhouse. Adam Boyd might have been a consideration a few years ago but he looks like he couldn't be bothered for the past few years - shame.

He'd cost the Hibernian Family a Fortune.

HibbyAndy
10-01-2012, 01:04 PM

Give us a P please Bob:wink:

fatbloke
10-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Pity it wisnae Steve Austin:greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-01-2012, 05:50 PM

he could be a free-kick expert if he has a golden shot.

Springbank
10-01-2012, 07:12 PM
he could be a free-kick expert if he has a golden shot.

'people laughed when i said i wanted to be a comedian. They're not laughing now' Bob Monkhouse