PDA

View Full Version : Where to strengthen?

Crab apple
02-01-2012, 08:08 PM
PF stated in his post match interview that he knows the positions he wants to strengthen. Given that RP is unlikely to approve the signing of an entire new team where do people feel the 3 or 4 priority positions are to improve? I've been saying in threads since pre season at Berwick that for CC to start with the defence pool we had could mean relegation. I'd like to see two proper full backs who know how to defend and can offer an attacking outlet when needed. We also need some experience, leadership and strength in central defence.

Hiber-nation
02-01-2012, 08:10 PM
PF stated in his post match interview that he knows the positions he wants to strengthen. Given that RP is unlikely to approve the signing of an entire new team where do people feel the 3 or 4 priority positions are to improve? I've been saying in threads since pre season at Berwick that for CC to start with the defence pool we had could mean relegation. I'd like to see two proper full backs who know how to defend and can offer an attacking outlet when needed. We also need some experience, leadership and strength in central defence.

Someone that can pass the ball and create. Without that type of player we're in big trouble.

Part/Time Supporter
02-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Centre back
Right back
Centre midfield

in about that order

Sir David Gray
02-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Centre half
Right back
Winger
Creative midfielder (somebody who's actually comfortable with having a football at their feet)
Centre forward

If we do all that over the next 4 weeks, we may just avoid relegation.

Since90+2
02-01-2012, 08:14 PM
We need a couple of players that can keep possession of the ball in the middle of the park. At no point in any game recently have we dictated the pace of the game and today was no difference.

Unless we bring in players who can keep possession and build pressure on opposing teams we are in big trouble.

Steve20
02-01-2012, 08:17 PM
The whole team. A more useless pile of crap I have never seen.

Www1875hfc
02-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Two no nonsense centre halfs,a right back, a creative midfielder and a striker.
And thats just for starters.
Get the core of your team correct and you are half way there.

PeterboroHibee
02-01-2012, 08:19 PM
CB, RB, central and right midfielder, a forward (striker/second striker etc)

Scouse Hibee
02-01-2012, 08:21 PM
IMO we need quality experienced players who are tried and tested and can hit the ground running. How the hell we are ever going to get them is anyone's guess.

yekimevol
02-01-2012, 08:23 PM
rb, rm, lm, cm passer

Wotherspiniesta
02-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Might sound dramatic but probably just about right. We need to strengthen everywhere apart from defensive midfield.

Leith Green
02-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Two no nonsense centre halfs,a right back, a creative midfielder and a striker.
And thats just for starters.
Get the core of your team correct and you are half way there.

We need 2 new full backs, a centre half, two new wingers, a playmaker all of a decent calibre, if we can get 4/5 out of the 6 in January then we should be okay.

We have a centre half at left back most weeks, midfielders or Hart at right back, these positions need sorted pronto.
We are crying out for an experienced centre half, thought O hanlon had a decent enough game today and is improving slightly on his early form, however we need better than that.

Our wingers are the worst in the league by a mile, Sproule was a good impact player when used correctly in his first spell with Hibs, he should never be playing for us again, and definetly not as a starting player. He loses possesion far too cheaply, gives away the most ridiculous fouls and offers far too little going forward. Galbraith is quite simply terrible at best.

We have no creativity in the side and this is a big problem, our wide men & a playmaker need to provide this.

Hibbyradge
02-01-2012, 08:41 PM

Might sound dramatic but probably just about right. We need to strengthen everywhere apart from defensive midfield.

Unrealistic expectation folk ken whit's gaun on! :wink:

Don Giovanni
02-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Centre back
Right back
Centre midfield

in about that order

:agree:

Except I'd maybe have right back as top priority.

TBH though, whilst there seems to be plenty of bodies, that squad is not exactly bursting with quality so any QUALITY additions would be welcome.

Baader
02-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Purely to stay up:

Centre back (ideally 2)
Right back
Centre midfield

Chairman would also be nice...

stanton10
02-01-2012, 08:56 PM

who is going to play that role then,i mean the def /mid

McIntosh
02-01-2012, 09:40 PM
When you look at today's squad our weaknesses becomes apparent:

Stack (Competent)
Booth (Average player at best)
Hanlon (Poor on today's performance)
O'Hanlon (Lacks leadership skills but otherwise a reasonable player)
Murray (Injuries have caught up with this player)
Galbraith (Lack of experience and quality)
Scott (Lacking in quality)
Stevenson (A neat player who would benefit with playing with physically stronger players)
Sproule (A good player in the wrong team)
Palsson (Lack of will to win)
Griffiths (A neat player who would benefit with playing with physically stronger players)

Brown (Lacking in quality)
Hart (Lacking in quality)
Stephens (Lacking in quality)
Towell (Lacking in quality)
Wotherspoon (Lacking in confidence)
O'Connor (Unfit)
Doyle (No comment)

The constant thread here is the lack of quality, experience and leadership. The remedy lies in purchasing quality!!!

Wotherspiniesta
02-01-2012, 09:41 PM
who is going to play that role then,i mean the def /mid

Osbourne or Palsson.

Devine
02-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Stack (Good shot stopper, but needs to get rid of that invisible glue sticking him to his line)
Booth (Young lad with a long way to go, decent going forward but cannot defend for toffee)
Hanlon (I hope that people are starting to see the light, possibly a decent full back but will never EVER be a centre half)
O'Hanlon (Absolutely honking one of the worst ive seen, how can a centre half get caught under the ball/out of position as much as this clown?!?)
Murray (Like the guy a lot but his best years are behind him decent squad player)
Galbraith (Not good enough, had enough chances and failed consistently)
Scott (Runs about a lot but cannot pass water. Must be one of the least technically gifted midfielders I have ever seen at ER, 1st division is where he belongs)
Stevenson (Been a good servant and works hard enough, just lacks the required quality)
Sproule (Has been woeful since his return and disappears, lets not forget he was an impact player when he was here first time around)
Palsson (Lack of discipline seen at goals today and doesnt do enough in games, had plenty of chances and not done it)
Griffiths (Plays like a wee laddie at times and hasnt done an awful lot. Wouldnt pay a fee for him right now but keep him on til the end of the season. Tries his heart out but sometimes tries too hard)

Brown (Lacking in quality)
Hart (Looks about 50 and plays like it. Absolutely hopeless)
Stephens (Young but not even close to being good enough)
Towell (Can we cut his loan now? Absolutely horrendous)
Wotherspoon (Lacking in confidence, well the confidence has been gone for 2 years. Must start to grow up and show more)
O'Connor (Hardly done a stroke in the last 2 months, looks lazy, unfit and immobile but no one can argue that we would be in no mans land without his goals. He MUST be kept and motivated to do better)
Doyle (No comment)

An absolutely horrendous rabble of players. MUST get players in NOW and not the standard we have seen recently either and that means freeing up some decent cash or we will see a serious relegation battle, crowds of circa 5k and season ticket sales next year that will be less than that

pacorosssco
02-01-2012, 10:12 PM

lets get a new CEO

GreenPJ
02-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Our biggest problem just now is our attacking players. The tactics don't help but the ball is never sticking up front so the midfield and defenders are never getting a chance to re-set and some respite. Get one or possibly two centre forwards in plus one winger and a right back and that will be enough for us to stay up hopefully, the rest will have to come in the summer.

pacorosssco
02-01-2012, 10:15 PM

11 players that give a ****

The Voice Of Reason
02-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I have posted before that Midfield needs to be our main priority (we lack the required, strength, pace and ability in there in all positions).

Quality midfield players do not come cheap though - unless of course you can unearth some "gems" from the lower leagues in England and Scotland (like Mowbray did and Danny Lennon seems to have done at St Mirren).

Would be great to ship the majority of our players out and free up some cash, but who in their right mind would take any of our current bunch of useless, overpaid, spoilt goons ?!?!? :fuming:

cocopops1875
02-01-2012, 11:02 PM
My take is we need a minimum of 4 quality signings in 1 a dominant centre half , 2 a left back , 3 a right back , 4 a midfield playmaker. This will see us stay up assuming they all work out

nortonhibby
02-01-2012, 11:08 PM

Even Duffys lot were better than this pile of p-sh at least we drew 2-2 in that new year day:flag:

R'Albin
02-01-2012, 11:10 PM
RB
CB
LM
RM
CM
STx2

For me, obviously not going to get all those in January but that's what we need over time.

SteveHFC
02-01-2012, 11:11 PM
GK
RB
CB
RM
CM
LM
STR
STR

:aok:

hibsbollah
02-01-2012, 11:20 PM

Priority 1-Creative midfielder.
Priority 2- Right back
Priority 3- Left back

Franck Stanton
02-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Right, I think we need to get real here, some posts stating we need to get shot of the entire squad - get real, we cant afford to do that, the players have a contract which works both ways lads, we would have to pay a lot of cash in compensation to get them out of the Club.

Realistically we need to sign a QUALITY centre half [ my suggestion - Webster from them]
Two QUALITY midfield players [ my suggestion - wont please a lot of you guys - Black and Skachel from them]
A Quality r/back [ have heard we are in talks with one from englandshire]

These guys/positions would supplement what we currently have and would , at least, ensure SPL football for next season, Brucie Bonus - some of our current shysters masquarading as players contracts would be run down and we could off-load them for nothing and then build with QUALITY next year.
All above players would certainly be available for change out of £1 million, yes a lot of cash but certainly less than what we would lose by being relegated.

IF we did sign the above we could field a team of

..............................Stack............... ................

New Signing.............Stephens.........Webster...... .....Booth

...............Osbourne.............Black......... ....Skachel

...............................Griffiths.......... ...................

O'Connor................Doyle

Not world beaters by any means, but certainly good enough to ensure we don't get relegated.

Spike Mandela
02-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Any halfwit can sign players. What we need are GOOD players.

Don't care about positions as long as they are GOOD they will improve the team. If he signs dross journeymen for our obvious weak positions it won't improve the team if you get my drift.

Experience would help as well.

The_Horde
02-01-2012, 11:32 PM
1x Solid experienced CB
1x Solid RB
1x Creative midfield player (deano please)
1x Solid midfield player who isn't afraid to take the ball from deep!

.Sean.
02-01-2012, 11:40 PM
5 GOOD players, minimum.

Albion Hibs
03-01-2012, 12:45 AM
I can see us bringing in a centre midfielder and a striker.

With Agogo, Sodje and Thornhill away coupled with the obvious areas in which we are struggling I can see us investing in the above first and foremost.

Liam_Hibs
03-01-2012, 01:06 AM
If we had to go for three player in January it'd have to be a centre half, right back and a creative midfielder.

macd123
03-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Yes we desperately need a commanding centreback but when we've done well we've also had 2 or 3 players who could make a difference. A bit of quality on the ball and in front of goal. We've never been hard to break down. At the moment we have one player (O'Connor) who can win a match for us. Previously you were always confident a combination of players like Riordan, Stokes, Benji, Fletcher, Zemmama, Latapy would do something special.

We don't need any more hard workers.

We need 2 players like a Sandaza or Aluko as a priority. Otherwise victories will be few and far between.

basehibby
03-01-2012, 02:07 AM
No 1 - we need a creative outlet in midfield - preferably someone who can play through the middle - make a pass and/or take a player on - and a goal or two would do no harm either!

no 2 - a bloody good centre half - someone who can lead from the back and organise those around him.

These are the priorities for me - asside from that any man that could improve the team - man for man - and put a current incumbant on the bench/transfer list.

CmoantheHibs
03-01-2012, 02:18 AM
I think a rb,midfield playmaker and rw.By sorting out these positions it would help the rest of the players to come onto a much better game.We also need to do a lot of work on the training ground,with the players we have, with regard to defending set pieces.