PDA

View Full Version : NHC Suarez ban explained

leither17
31-12-2011, 05:35 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/mobile/football/16375325.stm

Big Ed
01-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Liverpool and the Suarez advisors have made a right arse of this so far. With so little concrete evidence, if they had approached the allegations differently it would have been virtually impossible to find him guilty of anything!!

Suarez admitted using the word “negro” and the basis of his argument was that the word, which means black in Spanish, was something that could be said without being racist or offensive.
The FA Commission sought expert evidence from Uruguay, and found that the word is often used cordially but can be used offensively too, depending on the context.
The experts stated that if it is used in the context of Evra’s allegation; that would be seen in Uruguay as racially offensive.
Given that the incident occurred after a flashpoint between the two players; it is unlikely that the reference to the word was cordial.
The report states that Suarez, although having used racist language, was not racist: a point that Evra is in agreement with. That is as good as it is going to get for Suarez and Liverpool and I think that if they accept the punishment, both player and club can move on from this. If not; it could get uglier.

Betty Boop
01-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Lets cut to the chase here, He is a racist. How Liverpool or anybody else, can even attempt to defend him is shameful.I don't understand the report's conclusion that Suarez is not a racist either, seems at odds with the evidence.

greenginger
01-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Was Evra's admitted threat to punch Saurez in the face not also worthy of some rebuke ? :confused:

H18sry
01-01-2012, 12:17 PM
http://www.thisisanfield.com/2012/01/statement-from-liverpool-fc-on-suarez/

Scouse Hibee
01-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Lets cut to the chase here, He is a racist. How Liverpool or anybody else, can even attempt to defend him is shameful.I don't understand the report's conclusion that Suarez is not a racist either, seems at odds with the evidence.

Yet Evra and the report state that he is not! What a ****in debacle it has turned into, I sincerely hope Liverpool's response to this report is handled better than their initial defence and the issue is finally put to bed until he does it again!

Winston Ingram
01-01-2012, 01:02 PM
He's a racist. How anyone can behave like that and claim otherwise I've no idea.

Liverpool's behaviour on this has been an utter disgrace. :agree:

Hibs Class
01-01-2012, 01:27 PM
He's a racist. How anyone can behave like that and claim otherwise I've no idea.

Liverpool's behaviour on this has been an utter disgrace. :agree:

Agree completely. 30 years ago Liverpool were a joy to watch on the pitch and a credit to themselves off it. It's hard to believe just how much that has changed, and a sad irony that Dalglish has been part of both those sides of the club.

Sir David Gray
01-01-2012, 01:57 PM
What I don't get with the Suarez case, and allegedly with John Terry as well, is that both these players have been involved (and allegedly involved in Terry's case) with using words that are against black people and yet they have so many team mates who are black.

I also wonder if some of Suarez's team mates will be a little less keen to support him now that they know exactly what he has supposedly said to Evra. Glen Johnson, for example, was particularly vocal in his support for Suarez recently when he took to Twitter to show where his loyalties lie.

It must make things very difficult and awkward now in the dressing rooms at Anfield and Stamford Bridge, with these two players present. Deep down, their team mates must have lost a bit of respect for them.

Green_one
01-01-2012, 06:34 PM
The report makes difficult reading for Liverpool on their overall stance and Suarez in particular. Calls him ' inconsistant' and one cross examination sequence shows him to be evassive and changing his story. Evra comes out a lot better. The video and expert evidence too seems to support Evra.

We have Dalglish contradicting him and Kenny himself coming out with misinformation on Evra. Not good. I cannot see how guys like Johnson can feel entirely happy backing Suarez. Its about time Liverpool and Suarez did some damage limitation on this. Its already partly too late. Not appealing against the ban would be a good start.

It does show the complexity of football dressing rooms, with Evra speaking to teammates in a mix of Spanish and Portuguese, then English on the same subject to the ref. Meantime Suarez is meantime speaking dutch to Kuyt.