PDA

View Full Version : Agogo and O'Connor

macd123
30-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Anyone else think O'Connor benefited from having Agogo in the side? Agogo was not amazing but he held the ball up and brought other players into play, allowing Gaz to play as an out and out striker. In recent games Gaz has dropped deep and played with his back to goal and he's been dreadful. We need someone to play that role but have noone other than Agogo in our squad to do it.

bingo70
30-12-2011, 08:51 PM
O'Connor scored most of his goals at the start of the season when agogo wasn't playing so other than st johnstone at home I wouldn't be surprised if goc never scored when agogo was playing, although I've been wrong before so I may be again

BEEJ
30-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Agogo wouldn't have been my preference for departing in the January window. I thought he was one of our better performers despite often being played out of position.

However, it would appear that management have had cause to call time on his stint with us and he'll be offski (if not already gone).

Teuchter Hibbie
30-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Anyone else think O'Connor benefited from having Agogo in the side? Agogo was not amazing but he held the ball up and brought other players into play, allowing Gaz to play as an out and out striker. In recent games Gaz has dropped deep and played with his back to goal and he's been dreadful. We need someone to play that role but have noone other than Agogo in our squad to do it.

perhaps to an extent, their link-up play was good at times and they seemed to be functioning pretty well. can't say i've ever really rated agogo though, would've preferred sodje to get a look-in. for me, sodje could also have played that role (although i'd be worried that their styles of play were too similar), and maybe with griffiths playing off them.

tamig
30-12-2011, 09:00 PM

Agogo and GOC were starting to form a good partnership. Then CC dropped Agogo back into midfield to accommodate Griffiths. It all went backwards from there.

IWasThere2016
30-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Agogo wouldn't have been my preference for departing in the January window. I thought he was one of our better performers despite often being played out of position.

However, it would appear that management have had cause to call time on his stint with us and he'll be offski (if not already gone).

I agree totally

SMAXXA
30-12-2011, 09:10 PM
perhaps to an extent, their link-up play was good at times and they seemed to be functioning pretty well. can't say i've ever really rated agogo though, would've preferred sodje to get a look-in. for me, sodje could also have played that role (although i'd be worried that their styles of play were too similar), and maybe with griffiths playing off them.

I duno to be honest, think Agoggo had more a football brain than Sodje, and having seen Sodje in a few games of late I think hes been terrible (In fairness he hasnt played that much only sub apperances when we have been getting beat on a couple of occasions so I might be being harsh). When he wasnt playing I was all for getting him more game time as I think he done ok for us last year prior to his injury, even watching him in the warm ups at half time I get the impression he isnt interested. I had to laugh, half time against utd him and one of the other subs were banging the ball to each other 30 - 40 yards from each other, the ball came to him he took a touch that landed about 10 yards away from him, then the other sub had to come retrieve the ball he didnt even go get it. No having a go at him by any stretch just though that summed up the impression I had that he couldnt give a flying.

On the subject of subs that game, did anyone else notice all our subs sitting in the dug out at half time until Ian Murray came out 5mins later with 2 footballs, I was thinking what they doing sitting there when all the UTD subs were warming up then realised aww poor lads didnt have a ball to kick. Heaven forbid they might have went and done a bit jogging or sumit. (sorry a bit off topic but it just came back into my head) :greengrin

Anyway I thought Aggogo was one of our better players at the point he fell out of favour but over the piece I dont think he will be a loss to be fair.

Teuchter Hibbie
30-12-2011, 09:21 PM
I duno to be honest, think Agoggo had more a football brain than Sodje, and having seen Sodje in a few games of late I think hes been terrible (In fairness he hasnt played that much only sub apperances when we have been getting beat on a couple of occasions so I might be being harsh). When he wasnt playing I was all for getting him more game time as I think he done ok for us last year prior to his injury, even watching him in the warm ups at half time I get the impression he isnt interested. I had to laugh, half time against utd him and one of the other subs were banging the ball to each other 30 - 40 yards from each other, the ball came to him he took a touch that landed about 10 yards away from him, then the other sub had to come retrieve the ball he didnt even go get it. No having a go at him by any stretch just though that summed up the impression I had that he couldnt give a flying.

On the subject of subs that game, did anyone else notice all our subs sitting in the dug out at half time until Ian Murray came out 5mins later with 2 footballs, I was thinking what they doing sitting there when all the UTD subs were warming up then realised aww poor lads didnt have a ball to kick. Heaven forbid they might have went and done a bit jogging or sumit. (sorry a bit off topic but it just came back into my head) :greengrin

Anyway I thought Aggogo was one of our better players at the point he fell out of favour but over the piece I dont think he will be a loss to be fair.

aye, i thought sodje was deserving of more starts/game time after his performances last season - yes he can be a bit of a big donkey, misses chances, has a horrific touch at times, but he causes defences problems, and scores goals. i think more game time and maybe more of a sense of purpose would've seen his performances pick up, but bear in mind he's been living off substitute appearances and scraps from a team that are creating precious few opportunites.
i could've shot him after the sitter he missed at pittodrie though! i like to think of him a bit like our version of emile heskey in his liverpool days.

macd123
31-12-2011, 12:23 AM
I actually think Agogo and Sodje would be a handful for SPL defences and they deserve a shot given Griffiths and O'Connor recent performances.

RIP
31-12-2011, 02:43 AM
Agogo was coming onto a good game

hibees707070
31-12-2011, 02:46 AM

Your joking? Agogo is a shocking player. Just another one of calderwoods pals!

BEEJ
31-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Your joking? Agogo is a shocking player. Just another one of calderwoods pals!
Let me check ....... :coffee:

... Nope! Perfectly serious.

blackpoolhibs
31-12-2011, 10:52 AM
If a team are to play hoofball, and that seems the only way we can play. That team need to have a front man who can hold the ball up, especially if only playing one up front.

Garry has the touch of an elephant, Griffiths is too small and easily knocked off the ball. Agogo could hold the ball up, hold his marker off and generally bring our other players into the game.

Then Calderclown decided to play him deeper, the rest is history.

He is no world beater, but much better at playing up front on his own than anyone else we have in the squad.

it appears his attitude stinks, and we all know we cant keep anyone like that. Its only squeaky clean alter boys we are allowed to sign or play these days, or the moral police kick up a fuss.

Unless of course he's one of our own.

tamig
31-12-2011, 11:27 AM
If a team are to play hoofball, and that seems the only way we can play. That team need to have a front man who can hold the ball up, especially if only playing one up front.

Garry has the touch of an elephant, Griffiths is too small and easily knocked off the ball. Agogo could hold the ball up, hold his marker off and generally bring our other players into the game.

Then Calderclown decided to play him deeper, the rest is history.

He is no world beater, but much better at playing up front on his own than anyone else we have in the squad.

it appears his attitude stinks, and we all know we cant keep anyone like that. Its only squeaky clean alter boys we are allowed to sign or play these days, or the moral police kick up a fuss.

Unless of course he's one of our own.

It's not often I agree with your comments but I'm right with you on all of your points here :aok:

matty_f
31-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Agogo was doing alright, was certainly appearing to be improving week on week. I think it's a decent point about O'Connor suffering from not having Agogo in the team.

To be honest, I would have Sodje in the side ahead of Griffiths at the moment. He causes defences much more bother and would probably create a number of chances for Garry.

J-C
01-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Agogo has a lot of graft but very little end product, no point putting yourself about if you can't find the back of the net.

Golden Bear
01-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Agogo was doing alright, was certainly appearing to be improving week on week. I think it's a decent point about O'Connor suffering from not having Agogo in the team.

To be honest, I would have Sodje in the side ahead of Griffiths at the moment. He causes defences much more bother and would probably create a number of chances for Garry.

:agree:

Sodje has had a raw deal this season. He's not the complete footballer by any means but he's guaranteed to give 100%.

patlowe
01-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Not a huge fan of Sodje or Agogo but I'm surprised they've both been frozen out to the extent they have over a period when we've been so brutal over the last few weeks. Neither are players I'd want to see at hibs in the long term but their bustling unpredictability seems relatively effective at SPL level.