PDA

View Full Version : Sean Welsh

EVENTUALLY
30-12-2011, 05:59 PM
When is this guy going to get a chance?

He's featured on the bench recently beside Scott, Towell, Murray, Sodjie and Palsson who have all had an opportunity to go on or start a match during the last 3 games.

Welsh was an excellent winning U19 captain, good passer, tackler and only bad injuries has prevented him progressing. But given some of the poor efforts of his aforesaid teammates in recent games as well as those from the likes of Galbraith and Hart he must surely be given some game time to see what he can do.

I have seen Welsh only 3 times and that was when the u19 team won the double but he was a standout and in my view much more accomplished than David Wotherspoon.

FWIW i'd also throw in Stanton as well. He is exactly what we are crying out for in terms of creativity and while he is slight he has great feet and tons and tons of natural ability.

Wotherspiniesta
30-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Eventually :wink:

Albion Hibs
30-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Part of me says he is due a chance. The larger part of me says he has been at hibs for a long time now, and under 3/4 managers none of them have fancied him enough to put him in which tells a bit of a story.

Wotherspiniesta
30-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Part of me says he is due a chance. The larger part of me says he has been at hibs for a long time now, and under 3/4 managers none of them have fancied him enough to put him in which tells a bit of a story.

I'm inclined to agree with that, but can he be much worse than what our midfield offer currently? We've got to have the worst midfield in the league. They create nothing, don't protect our defence, and have about 4 goals between the lot of them.

Slightly off topic, but I'd definately start Martin Scott against the yams. He was really unlucky to be left out in the tynecastle game after scoring 2 very good goals in the cup midweek. At least he's not afraid to have a pop at goal.

Albion Hibs
30-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm inclined to agree with that, but can he be much worse than what our midfield offer currently? We've got to have the worst midfield in the league. They create nothing, don't protect our defence, and have about 4 goals between the lot of them.

Slightly off topic, but I'd definately start Martin Scott against the yams. He was really unlucky to be left out in the tynecastle game after scoring 2 very good goals in the cup midweek. At least he's not afraid to have a pop at goal.

I dont know about that, the fact he has never appeared does speak volumes. I dont think I would drop him in for the derby but there is no point having him around if he is not going to get a chance.

It would appear we have both been involved in finishing off this years mulled wine, as I am about to agree with you. I thought Scott was decent against Dundee Utd, won a bit in the air and when out wide he put a decent ball into the box. As you say he does have a good strike on him, what has disappointed to me since the aberdeen game is he seems to be focused on winning it and putting it out wide.

Given our current position, how short we are on goals, and how other teams have no real requirement to defend, I would be telling him and others to shoot on sight.

Beefster
30-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Maybe, based on his performances in training and bounce games, he doesn't deserve a chance?

Franck Stanton
30-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Albion, normally I would agree with your comment, however on this occassion feel it doesn't fit the circumstances , the lad is only, what 19 or 20yrs and whilst he has had 3/4 managers it is only now[ish] that he could realistacally be considerer to be of an age/stature to be considered for the first team.

BEEJ
30-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Maybe, based on his performances in training and bounce games, he doesn't deserve a chance?
So he's just been selected to warm the bench then - not once, but five or six times now?

I think if any of these games had been going our way there may have been the relative freedom to bring the lad on for the last 15 minutes or so. When we are chasing the game or grimly holding on for a point, that is not the ideal time to bring on a youngster to make their senior debut.

Billy Whizz
30-12-2011, 07:40 PM
I'd like to have seen him given some sort of run out. Be interesting to see if he keeps his place on the bench once the "loan" players return

Teuchter Hibbie
30-12-2011, 08:31 PM

the fact that several managers (despite the fact one of them was CC) have consistently left him out/not rated him highly enough to warrant a start imo speaks volumes. Having said that, I'd be inclined to give him a shot based on the potential he showed at u19s, and the fact that he can surely do no worse that what currently passes for a midfield.

Definitely agree with you re Martin Scott, one of the few players with a bit of fight and aggression about him (as Sean Welsh will testify), and has the potential to be a 5-10 goal a season midfielder. Assuming Osbourne is fit for the derby, I'd like to see those two in central midfield, with perhaps Booth/Stevenson and Wotherspoon/Sproule on the wings.

bingo70
30-12-2011, 08:45 PM
The fact that he has never been fit is why he's never played! If we're looking into it though I'd say that despite his injuries managers keep giving him contracts speaks volumes about his ability.

Hes just returning from injury this season but I agree he's got to get a chance soon, if he's really worse than towell in midfield then he needs to get binned pronto

Beefster
30-12-2011, 09:59 PM
So he's just been selected to warm the bench then - not once, but five or six times now?

I think if any of these games had been going our way there may have been the relative freedom to bring the lad on for the last 15 minutes or so. When we are chasing the game or grimly holding on for a point, that is not the ideal time to bring on a youngster to make their senior debut.

He's not been put on IIRC so it would appear so. We need three or so under-21 players in the squad so he may be on the bench to met the rules.

woody47
30-12-2011, 10:12 PM
The fact that he has never been fit is why he's never played! If we're looking into it though I'd say that despite his injuries managers keep giving him contracts speaks volumes about his ability.

Hes just returning from injury this season but I agree he's got to get a chance soon, if he's really worse than towell in midfield then he needs to get binned pronto

Agree with this. Saw him a few times playing and he just seemed to stroll through games. Didn't get rattled and actually looked to play a ball to one of his team mates. Always in control and looking for the ball. Really hope that his injuries are now at the back of him and he goes on to prove he has real ability.:agree:

down-the-slope
30-12-2011, 10:46 PM
in the last 3 years he is the best player i have seen in a Hibs shirt at any level (watched U19's a fair bit)......real shame the way he got injured so soon after getting contract after U19 winning season. I saw him as future Hibs captain...we are crying out for his ability in the current team...I hope its just a case of protecting him rather than injury having taken away some of his ability

Jonnyboy
30-12-2011, 10:49 PM
in the last 3 years he is the best player i have seen in a Hibs shirt at any level (watched U19's a fair bit)......real shame the way he got injured so soon after getting contract after U19 winning season. I saw him as future Hibs captain...we are crying out for his ability in the current team...I hope its just a case of protecting him rather than injury having taken away some of his ability

Indeed. He reminds me of a young Pat Stanton

Cropley10
30-12-2011, 10:50 PM
How much of a pre-season did he get under his belt, in this, his first, senior season?

That might actually 'speak volumes'?

PeterboroHibee
30-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Find it very strange that he seems to get on the bench nearly every week yet hasnt had a game yet (as far as Im aware?). Was he not fairly highly rated by previous managers, but just fairly unlucky with injuries?

Id like to see him get a chance, whether off the bench or starting. Our midfield is so weak that its worth at least a shot, noones really put in a position to claim a starting position (apart from probably Osbourne) so its up for grabs, and everyone deserves a chance.

matty_f
31-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Same here. Used to love watching him for the 19's. He and Booth were the standouts from the double team. I was sitting watching the game on Wednesday and was scratching my head wondering why there isn't a place in that side for Welsh.

Cropley10
31-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Same here. Used to love watching him for the 19's. He and Booth were the standouts from the double team. I was sitting watching the game on Wednesday and was scratching my head wondering why there isn't a place in that side for Welsh.

Well, could it have anything to do with him returning from quite a bad injury??

matty_f
31-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Well, could it have anything to do with him returning from quite a bad injury??

Wouldn't have thought so by now, unless the injury has set him back ability-wise, which is possible.

The fact he's getting on the bench and is training the same as everyone else, and featuring in bounce games would suggest that it's not a fitness issue.

Cropley10
31-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Wouldn't have thought so by now, unless the injury has set him back ability-wise, which is possible.

The fact he's getting on the bench and is training the same as everyone else, and featuring in bounce games would suggest that it's not a fitness injury.

OK thanks, which going by this thread - and a few folk in the know - means he's actually not going to make it, which means - by extension I think - that we should look to get rid of him ASAP.

Only on Hibs.net is a young player written off before he even makes his senior debut.

Billy Whizz
31-12-2011, 10:56 AM
OK thanks, which going by this thread - and a few folk in the know - means he's actually not going to make it, which means - by extension I think - that we should look to get rid of him ASAP.

Only on Hibs.net is a young player written off before he even makes his senior debut.

Most of the posts on this thread have been about giving him a chance, not writing him off

Cropley10
31-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Most of the posts on this thread have been about giving him a chance, not writing him off

Really? 2 (good U19 player) + 2 (on the bench but not playing) = 4 not good enough... seems to be the jist of it. "Speaks volumes" I've read.

I think he's a cracking player and I actually have confidence that Pat will give him his debut at the right time.

BEEJ
31-12-2011, 11:27 AM
I think he's a cracking player and I actually have confidence that Pat will give him his debut at the right time.
:agree:

Having been on the fringes for so long, maybe he'll start against Cowdenbeath?

PeterboroHibee
31-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Really? 2 (good U19 player) + 2 (on the bench but not playing) = 4 not good enough... seems to be the jist of it. "Speaks volumes" I've read.

I cant really see anyone who has said he isnt good enough, but rather wondering why he hasnt had an opportunity yet? How can a player be written off when he hasnt played?

I hope he is a good player, and if it is a case of easing him in gently then fair enough, but he has been on the bench for a while now and I, like most it would seem, would like to see what he can do at this level, even if it is a small cameo appearance at the end of a game.

Eyrie
31-12-2011, 11:52 AM
The problem is that we haven't been in a position to bring on a youngster for 15-20 minutes experience at the end of a game because we've either been clinging on for a point or already losing, neither of which is an ideal situation.

I'd like to see him told that he will be given a minimum of three games as a starter in the one position so that there is less pressure on him if he makes a mistake. We have a gaping hole at RB regardless of who is played there, so that would be the position I'd try him in.

matty_f
31-12-2011, 12:06 PM
The problem is that we haven't been in a position to bring on a youngster for 15-20 minutes experience at the end of a game because we've either been clinging on for a point or already losing, neither of which is an ideal situation.

I'd like to see him told that he will be given a minimum of three games as a starter in the one position so that there is less pressure on him if he makes a mistake. We have a gaping hole at RB regardless of who is played there, so that would be the position I'd try him in.

That's a good point as well. The thing with Welsh that he has ahead of Stevenson and Wotherspoon, is that he is capable of dictating the pace of the game better than them, and is the sort of player that could help us get a grip of the midfield and actually create some chances.

down-the-slope
31-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Of the players we have he would be best with Lewis in the centre with Ozzy ahead of them. He has a range of passing and is also a strong tackler who is decent in the air (played CH when U19 had injuries - and played football from the back there looking comfortable)...but can we please start playing players in their best position...CM for him.

Those 3 would be a stronger more creative and less soft option than we have been seeing....

..............................Brown

Towel ............Hanlon ........Stephens .......Booth

.................Welsh........ Lewis

........Spoony........ Ozzy.......... Scott

.........................Griffiths

This is the team that i would like to see playing when fit given the limitations of our current squad (I'm assuming no GOC soon otherwise when fit could argue for him up top and Griffiths on left)

TrinityHibs
31-12-2011, 01:01 PM
I would hold off bringing him in until the team starts to show a bit of form. What we dont need is another young player being slaughtered because the team is performing poorly.

Franck Stanton
31-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Of the players we have he would be best with Lewis in the centre with Ozzy ahead of them. He has a range of passing and is also a strong tackler who is decent in the air (played CH when U19 had injuries - and played football from the back there looking comfortable)...but can we please start playing players in their best position...CM for him.

Those 3 would be a stronger more creative and less soft option than we have been seeing....

..............................Brown

Towel ............Hanlon ........Stephens .......Booth

.................Welsh........ Lewis

........Spoony........ Ozzy.......... Scott

.........................Griffiths

This is the team that i would like to see playing when fit given the limitations of our current squad (I'm assuming no GOC soon otherwise when fit could argue for him up top and Griffiths on left)

Good team IMO as well, looks a much stronger m/f than recent ICT game, if only we could start wit this side in Derby, we would maybe have a wee half-chance. Would also have the luxury of bringing on Doyle if Griffiths tires/plys badly

stanton10
31-12-2011, 02:57 PM
That's a good point as well. The thing with Welsh that he has ahead of Stevenson and Wotherspoon, is that he is capable of dictating the pace of the game better than them, and is the sort of player that could help us get a grip of the midfield and actually create some chances.

He,s not a youngster anymore the guy will be 22 soon but you should know that if you attended all the GOOD 19s teams games.

matty_f
31-12-2011, 03:16 PM
He,s not a youngster anymore the guy will be 22 soon but you should know that if you attended all the GOOD 19s teams games.

22 is still plenty young enough to make his mark on the team, if he can show that he's up to it. I saw a wee bit of him the year they did the double.

stanton10
31-12-2011, 03:31 PM
22 is still plenty young enough to make his mark on the team, if he can show that he's up to it. I saw a wee bit of him the year they did the double.

you could or did not see a lot of him because he was injured for a good bit of the seasons he played as for the two you mentioned there where other players as good if not better than wotherspoon etc.

Steve-O
31-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Lets not forget the managers who have not picked him have been idiots who dont seem to have a clue what a good player is so I dont think their judgement should necessarily be trusted.

matty_f
31-12-2011, 03:40 PM
you could or did not see a lot of him because he was injured for a good bit of the seasons he played as for the two you mentioned there where other players as good if not better than wotherspoon etc.
I saw a fair amount of the 19's games the season they won the double (or treble if you chuck in the east of scotland shield).
Certainly enough to see the ability and potential that he had.

The other players that caught the eye that season were Moyes and Smith who played centre half that year, Booth, Wotherspoon, Russell and Byrne. Would say Welsh and Booth looked most likely to make it. Welsh was given the Scottish Player of the Year award that season as well, IIRC.

stanton10
31-12-2011, 03:51 PM
e
I saw a fair amount of the 19's games the season they won the double (or treble if you chuck in the east of scotland shield).

The other players that caught the eye that season were Moyes and Smith who played centre half that year, Booth, Wotherspoon, Russell and Byrne. Would say Welsh and Booth looked most likely to make it. Welsh was given the Scottish Player of the Year award that season as well, IIRC.
Enough said ,

Ferryhibby
31-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Been waiting for this guy to get his chance for ages, ok injuries have played a big part but think hes just what the midfield need at the moment, know hes a young guy but someone to stick theyr foot on the ball and find someone with a decent pass, exactly what he does

McD
31-12-2011, 04:01 PM

Been waiting for this guy to get his chance for ages, ok injuries have played a big part but think hes just what the midfield need at the moment, know hes a young guy but someone to stick theyr foot on the ball and find someone with a decent pass, exactly what he does

:agree: to both of the above.

I watched him play for the 19s as well, haven't seen someone so comfortable in possession in a long time, often seen dribbling out from the back. Has (or had certainly) a bit of swagger about him, likes a tackle. Give him a run in the side, and see how he does, might just make a difference.

stanton10
31-12-2011, 04:02 PM
e
Enough said ,

Did Lee currie not hold that team together when welsh got injured and wotherspoon and booth /byrne where struggling to find any form.

matty_f
31-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Did Lee currie not hold that team together when welsh got injured and wotherspoon and booth /byrne where struggling to find any form.

To be honest, I thought Currie was good as well, most of that team were which isn't a surprise given what they achieved. I don't think Currie was as influential as you do, though. :agree:

IMHO, the only player who really looked like they were nowhere near the standard was Paddy Deane.

I'm not really getting whatever point it is you're trying to make, though.:confused:

stanton10
31-12-2011, 04:09 PM
To be honest, I thought Currie was good as well, most of that team were which isn't a surprise given what they achieved. I don't think Currie was as influential as you do, though. :agree:

IMHO, the only player who really looked like they were nowhere near the standard was Paddy Deane.

I'm not really getting whatever point it is you're trying to make, though.:confused:

My point is, i think that you mainly seen home games i dont think you travelled much?

matty_f
31-12-2011, 04:16 PM
My point is, i think that you mainly seen home games i dont think you travelled much?

I'll be honest with you mate, I covered the 19's games for the official site that season, home and away. Only missed a couple of matches (Hamilton away where I couldn't find the park, was one, sure there was another but I can't think which.)

O'Connor's strip will back that up as she was at practically all of them as well, or you can search the reports on the official site.

Pretty pish point to make, by the way - don't see what that had to do with anything that was being discussed.

Pretty Boy
31-12-2011, 04:23 PM
I'll be honest with you mate, I covered the 19's games for the official site that season, home and away. Only missed a couple of matches (Hamilton away where I couldn't find the park, was one, sure there was another but I can't think which.)

O'Connor's strip will back that up as she was at practically all of them as well, or you can search the reports on the official site.

Pretty pish point to make, by the way - don't see what that had to do with anything that was being discussed.

Jealousy does terrible things to people

stanton10
31-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Maybe we never seen you you but i was at everyone with my small friend mick magee god rest his soul still think your summary was poor.

McD
31-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Maybe we never seen you you but i was at everyone with my small friend mick magee god rest his soul still think your summary was poor.

Whilst I wasn't at all the games, I can vouch for the fact that Matty was posting match reports on here for every match, as well as oconnor's strip, these were also very much appreciated, looked forward to and discussed.

matty_f
31-12-2011, 04:32 PM

I still don't get what that had to do with the thread?:confused:

What part of the summary didn't you agree with?

Sir David Gray
31-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Sean Welsh will be 22 in a couple of months' time. I know he's had a few injuries which have held him back a bit but I would have thought that he would at least have a few first team appearances under his belt by now.

To get into your 20s and not have any games at all for the first team is not really a good sign.

Particularly when you look at the number of appearances that other players have made who are of a similar age;

Callum Booth (1 year younger, 29 first team appearances. Debut at age 19)
Paul Hanlon (same age, 99 first team appearances. Debut at age 17)
David Stephens (1 year younger, 23 first team appearances. Debut at age 18)
Richie Towell (1 year younger, 30 first team appearances. Debut at age 19)
David Wotherspoon (1 year younger, 98 first team appearances. Debut at age 17)
Danny Galbraith (same age, 59 first team appearances. Debut at age 18)
Victor Palsson (1 year younger, 33 first team appearances. Debut at age 19)
Lewis Stevenson (2 years older, 126 first team appearances. Debut at age 17)

I know he played a bit for Stirling Albion last season but he needs to start making an impression with Hibs pretty soon, I would have thought.

BEEJ
31-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Sean Welsh will be 22 in a couple of months' time. I know he's had a few injuries which have held him back a bit but I would have thought that he would at least have a few first team appearances under his belt by now.
Pretty significant injuries - of different types.

The lad's either very unfortunate or he breaks easily. Or both.

Cropley10
31-12-2011, 04:37 PM

To get into your 20s and not have any games at all for the first team is not really a good sign.

Particularly when you look at the number of appearances that other players have made who are of a similar age;

Callum Booth (1 year younger, 29 first team appearances. Debut at age 19)
Paul Hanlon (same age, 99 first team appearances. Debut at age 17)
David Stephens (1 year younger, 23 first team appearances. Debut at age 18)
Richie Towell (1 year younger, 30 first team appearances. Debut at age 19)
David Wotherspoon (1 year younger, 98 first team appearances. Debut at age 17)
Danny Galbraith (same age, 59 first team appearances. Debut at age 18)
Victor Palsson (1 year younger, 33 first team appearances. Debut at age 19)
Lewis Stevenson (2 years older, 126 first team appearances. Debut at age 17)

I know he played a bit for Stirling Albion last season but he needs to start making an impression with Hibs pretty soon, I would have thought.

Or, if he doesn't??:confused:

He's had some 'bad' injuries in that time. He's still a young guy. This thread seems to be much ado about nothing.

matty_f
31-12-2011, 04:38 PM

He's had some 'bad' injuries in that time. He's still a young guy. This thread seems to be much ado about nothing.
:agree: Still plenty of time for Welsh to prove himself, IMHO.

Sir David Gray
31-12-2011, 04:46 PM

I understand he's had a few injuries and that has to be taken into account but to be almost 22 years old and not have made a single appearance, not even off the bench for a couple of minutes, is highly unusual.

BEEJ
31-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I understand he's had a few injuries and that has to be taken into account but to be almost 22 years old and not have made a single appearance, not even off the bench for a couple of minutes, is highly unusual.

Hibs kid Sean out to banish injury woes after new deal

Published on Tuesday 31 May 2011 07:33

Courageous Hibs kid Sean Welsh today vowed to make up for time lost to a string of serious injuries after penning a new one-year deal with the club.

The midfield youngster has endured years of injury setbacks, suffering a horrific double leg-break at the age of just 14 before, as captain of Hibs' all-conquering Under-19 side, he was forced to look on as his team-mates clinched an unprecedented League and Cup double within the space of days having broken his foot.

As if that wasn't enough, the 21-year-old has undergone three cartilage operations on his left knee and was back on crutches yet again as he broke down in the first training session of last summer's pre-season tour of Holland as he entered the final year of his contract.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/hibs_kid_sean_out_to_banish_injury_woes_after_new_ deal_1_1668454

Hibs star Sean Welsh wins fight for his sight

Published on Wednesday 20 July 2011 10:54

A HIBS footballer left with a broken cheekbone in a training ground bust-up is recovering after beating an infection which threatened his eyesight.

There were fears for the future career of 21-year-old Sean Welsh when he fell ill after surgery at St John's Hospital in Livingston.

He needed the procedure after a training ground flare-up with team-mate Martin Scott left him with a broken cheekbone.

Fans were concerned when rumours emerged online about the Lochend man's health following "complications", including that he could have lost his eyesight.

However, he is understood to have beaten the infection and been released from hospital.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/hibs_star_sean_welsh_wins_fight_for_his_sight_1_17 55305

These are not trivial injuries. It's amazing the lad is still on our books at all, never mind recently being named in the 18 man squad on a regular basis.

oconnors_strip
31-12-2011, 06:43 PM

can back you up here matty. :agree:

cant think who you are but come on, your pettyness in this thread is becoming a joke.

matty_f
31-12-2011, 06:49 PM

cant think who you are but come on, your pettyness in this thread is becoming a joke.

:aok: Thanks Nikki!

Jonnyboy
31-12-2011, 08:59 PM

:agree: Obviously got a bee in his bonnet for some reason :confused:

Beefster
01-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Maybe we never seen you but i was at everyone with my small friend mick magee god rest his soul still think your summary was poor.

Are you the U19 attendance police?