PDA

View Full Version : NHC Thierry Henry back at Arsenal

Barney McGrew
30-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Loan agreed subject to approval from NY Red Bulls.

Could be a very interesting one, he's exactly what they've been missing from their team.

DC_Hibs
30-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Good move for both parties.

He couldn't expect to get a move to a top club nowadays but Arsenal isn't such a step down.

Andy74
30-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Loan agreed subject to approval from NY Red Bulls.

Could be a very interesting one, he's exactly what they've been missing from their team.

He WAS what they have been missing. No idea if he's anywere near the same player now.

cocopops1875
30-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Obviously a different league but he averaged almost a goal every 2 games in the mls

Andy74
30-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Obviously a different league but he averaged almost a goal every 2 games in the mls

Aye, so did John Spencer :greengrin

Leithenhibby
30-12-2011, 10:15 AM
This could go two ways ... :wink:

A bit like Garry O'C :greengrin

GreenCastle
30-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Will be interesting to see how he gets on.

MLS is an ever improving league and I would say is much better than the SPL these days by quite a bit.

Not as fast as he once was but still has a great footballing brain.

Would expect him to score a few but maybe set up more than score.

A living legend though :thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
30-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Not sure how this will work out to be honest.

Top player in his day but if his form for large spells of his second season at Barca is anything to go by then he is way, way past his best.y

Agree with a previous poster that the MLS is far superior to the SPL these days but it is still nowhere near the quality of the EPL and it will be a big ask for Henry to step up and find the quality required to be a success again.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Not his greatestfan after he dumped out brasil and ruined part of my hols there ;(

Hibercelona
30-12-2011, 11:20 AM
He'll be just about as effective as Sproule has been for us since his return. :wink:

lapsedhibee
30-12-2011, 11:52 AM
All this season Arsenal have been bringing on Arshavin and/or Chamakh as forward options if the game isn't going so well, and both of them have been dire. Gervinho is away at the ANC while Henry will be at Arsenal. Henry doesn't need to be anywhere near as good as he once was for this deal to make good sense, he just needs to be better than Arshavin and Chamakh. The bar is low.

Speedy
30-12-2011, 12:04 PM
He's coming as a squad player to cover Gervinho. Anything above that is a bonus imo

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Not sure how this will work out to be honest.

Top player in his day but if his form for large spells of his second season at Barca is anything to go by then he is way, way past his best.y

Agree with a previous poster that the MLS is far superior to the SPL these days but it is still nowhere near the quality of the EPL and it will be a big ask for Henry to step up and find the quality required to be a success again.Scored 26 goals and won the treble, not too bad if you ask me.

heretoday
30-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Henry's too old and lazy. It's so typical of arrogant Wenger to try and solve striking problems this way.

The last few seasons he's stubbornly refused to bring in decent defenders and decent attackers - instead relying on his tedious total passing game with loads of midfielders strolling about. Result - no cups at The Emirates for six years.

How he's got away with it I don't know! Most other clubs at that level would have sacked him yonks ago.

GreenCastle
09-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Welcome back Henry :thumbsup:

Hibernia Na Eir
09-01-2012, 08:44 PM
ah, Les Cheat returns......

cabbageandribs1875
09-01-2012, 08:46 PM

he has indeed :(

GreenCastle
09-01-2012, 08:47 PM

Returns in style :greengrin

lyonhibs
09-01-2012, 08:51 PM

What, both of them??

Henry is class - this is 1 return that won't be a damp squib, and I don't just mean for tonight.

He may be a bit past his "best", but when you consider that his "best" was when he was phenomenally unplayable, I'm sure he'll still be a helluva asset to Arsenal for 2 months.

Hibernia Na Eir
09-01-2012, 08:52 PM
still a class A cheat.

Baldy Foghorn
09-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Superb movement, awareness and composure for his goal tonight.......

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2012, 09:22 PM
He reminded me tonight of the time Joe Baker returned, he was class before, and showed again how leathal he still is if you give him a chance. :top marks

stokesmessiah
09-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Henry's too old and lazy. It's so typical of arrogant Wenger to try and solve striking problems this way.

The last few seasons he's stubbornly refused to bring in decent defenders and decent attackers - instead relying on his tedious total passing game with loads of midfielders strolling about. Result - no cups at The Emirates for six years.

How he's got away with it I don't know! Most other clubs at that level would have sacked him yonks ago.

Sorry, what?

johnrebus
09-01-2012, 09:29 PM
still a class A cheat.

Like you say, the guy is class.

johnrebus
09-01-2012, 09:31 PM

What a load of ****ing rubbish.

GreenCastle
09-01-2012, 09:37 PM
still a class A cheat.

All footballers are angels ? The ref didn't call that "handball" - he's to blame. I am sure Ireland have had a few decisions go their way - Armenia keeper getting sent off for a handball which hit his chest - anything made of it ? :rolleyes:

Move on - Henry top player :agree:

HH81
09-01-2012, 09:56 PM
I was at game, was it offside?

essexhibee
09-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Not offside halifax.

What a finish, that opening of the body and side footing it in is something he has done hundreds of time. The goalkeeper knows where its going but just can never get there. The best premiership player I've ever seen imo, as someone else mentioned at times he was on a different planet and couldn't be touched.

Looked very emotional after his goal, only downside of the night was Craig "hibs don't invest ever" burley. Arse.

HH81
09-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Cheers was at other end.

My thoughts were it was set up for him and he was always going to score. Looked a class finish too.

Thought Leeds fans were excellent with the singing and arsenal only sang when they were winning.

Speedy
09-01-2012, 10:15 PM
All footballers are angels ? The ref didn't call that "handball" - he's to blame. I am sure Ireland have had a few decisions go their way - Armenia keeper getting sent off for a handball which hit his chest - anything made of it ? :rolleyes:

Move on - Henry top player :agree:

:confused:

Henry blatently cheated but the ref's to blame because he never spotted it?

HH81
09-01-2012, 10:24 PM

Henry cheated but its time to move on. He is still a fantastic footballer.

Most footballers would have carried on and done same thing imo.

Hibee-Bongo
09-01-2012, 10:35 PM

Surely the Irish only still consider him a cheat because the ref never called it?

lapsedhibee
09-01-2012, 11:03 PM

In all my years of watching fitba, I don't think I've ever seen a player volunteer to a ref that he's handled the ball. Have you? And if not, why harp on about Henry? :confused:

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Henry is a fraction of the player he used to be, but still a good player. He wont run with the ball the way he did before, and i'd imagine will be a bit part player during the couple of months he's at the gunners.

He showed last night if you give him a chance he will finish it, will still probably score more goals than Andy Carroll. :greengrin

Andy74
10-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Scored then struggled to get from the centre circle to the box for the rest of the game.

Get him chances in the box he will score but I think the pace of the EPL is going to be too much for him to be anywhere close to what he was.

carnoustiehibee
10-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Thierry Henry scored his 12th goal in 12 games against Leeds with 12 mins remaining wearing #12 jersey in 2012

GreenCastle
10-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Well the ref is in charge on the pitch - along with the other assistant refs.

Yes his hand was used but the witch hunt he had since then is ridiculous.

Football players every week dive, pull shirts, push players and even occasionally hand the ball - majority of the time the refs spot it. This time they didn't - officials fault yes. Just happened to be in a massive game - which was made even worse by Frances poor showing in the World Cup. Back to the topic - Henry is still a legend and a great player - like Maradona :agree: Did he not hand ball the ball against England ?

HibbyAndy
10-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Thierry Henry scored his 12th goal in 12 games against Leeds with 12 mins remaining wearing #12 jersey in 2012

And has 12 letters in his name.

FACT.

lapsedhibee
10-01-2012, 01:29 PM
And has 12 letters in his name.

FACT.

As does the manager he hugged immediately after scoring his goal. Coincidence, I don't think so.

HibbyAndy
10-01-2012, 02:51 PM
As does the manager he hugged immediately after scoring his goal. Coincidence, I don't think so.

Also there is 12 months in the year :eek:

:shocked::faint:

darwenhibby
10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
C'mon Hibs get ORourke and Stanton back in the team.

You know it makes sense:flag:

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2012, 03:01 PM
C'mon Hibs get ORourke and Stanton back in the team.

You know it makes sense:flag:

Dont be stupid, that would be the same as Man United bringing back Paul Scholes.

darwenhibby
10-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Dont be stupid, that would be the same as Man United bringing back Paul Scholes.

After Sunday I would say that Paddy & Jimmy are more mobile saying that Micheal Hart might be more mobile

HibbyAndy
10-01-2012, 03:31 PM

Henry is 6 ft 2.....6 x 2 = 12

FACT.

TowerHibs
10-01-2012, 06:49 PM
http://www.itv.com/sport/football/facup/news/henry-speechless-after-goalscoring-return-38458/

Brilliant interview

Eyrie
10-01-2012, 07:56 PM
like Maradona :agree: Did he not hand ball the ball against England ?
I remember him beating half their team before scoring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjASEE&feature=related).

GreenCastle
10-01-2012, 08:08 PM
I remember him beating half their team before scoring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjASEE&feature=related).

Still beats 3 players here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbbsytHDp2o :greengrin