PDA

View Full Version : stupid, pointless threads about players being crap etc

AgentDaleCooper
30-12-2011, 06:11 AM
just a thought here, but has it occurred to anyone that john ranking was a) not that crap before being at hibs and b) is playing fine for dundee utd. just for example. it's pretty inaccurate to say he can't kick a ball - he just couldn't at hibs. like the rest of our players. it also isn't the managers fault - how can it be? he's hardly been here for a month.

i'm not going to defend calderwood - he did nothing for us. but that's not to say necessarily that he will never make it, or that he's a crap manager (though this is probable...). it seems that any manager that is going to single handedly lift us out of or current state would need to be a trained psychiatrist to get any bunch of players (of the current standard) to do the job at this club.

we can, and should, moan at the board for being extremely long sighted, refusing to deal with our present situation, always looking to tomorrow, when east mains will finally reap its rewards and easter road will be full of 20,000 happy punters...such circumstances are surely contingent on some kind of massive shift somewhere in the club.

leigh griffiths has been saying to the press recently that the players are lacking in confidence - this is obvious.

it's completely natural that the players and supporters feed off each other. if the players play well, supporters feel positive and express this by encouraging them. if players play crap, supporters feel negative and stay quiet/express frustration.

this thread is as pointless as any thread on this subject, because we're not all going to agree on this matter ever, ever - for some people, football is a catharsis where they can shout and scream and be hilariously over involved in something incredibly trivial (me included r.e. the over involvement - i'm not trying to be a ponce about football). so for some people, this is a big part of why they go to they games and pay their money, hence, i imagine, why they feel it's 'their right' to hurl abuse at players and so on.

i'm not arguing here that people don't have the right - rights have nothing to do with this, really. it's the consequences of one's own actions that one must consider - it's the only thing we have any real control over.

hibs appear to be in a state of depression. the players don't need a kick up the arse. any attempts by supporters to 'kick them up the arse' will only contribute to them wilting again. there are times when it is appropriate to do this - this is not it. no amount of criticism will sort the team out.

my rather laboured point is that hibs are sick, and while it's understandable that supporters should feel immense frustration in this situation, they should know that by hurling abuse, booing and generally being negative towards the team on the park, they are only performing their own part of the downward spiral that we seem to find ourselves in. given that this is the only thing that we can have any proper control over, it's pretty clear that we should be trying our upmost to reverse the viscous cycle that we're in. thinking that/telling the players that they're crap when they actually aren't - just currently playing crap - does not achieve this.

spike220
30-12-2011, 07:11 AM
I have been thinking along these lines all day, and have put a bit of thought into my post. 1, I love hibs, always have always will. 2. Our players are not crap. 3. We are only 5-10% off the top six performance. 4. We are a mighty club and I am as proud as hell to be hibee even when we turn in a poor performance. 5. Steady as she goes is the way. 10% more fitness, 10% more focus and 10% more confidence. If we get this right we will give any team in the SPL a real hiding. GGTTH - Forever!

Benny Brazil
30-12-2011, 07:55 AM
I have been thinking along these lines all day, and have put a bit of thought into my post. 1, I love hibs, always have always will. 2. Our players are not crap. 3. We are only 5-10% off the top six performance. 4. We are a mighty club and I am as proud as hell to be hibee even when we turn in a poor performance. 5. Steady as she goes is the way. 10% more fitness, 10% more focus and 10% more confidence. If we get this right we will give any team in the SPL a real hiding. GGTTH - Forever!

I love my club always have and always will - so do all Hibbies.
Doesnt mean we cant face up to the fact that with this team we will be in a relegation dogfight. Yes confidence is a factor - but so are things like talent and ability - and the majority of this team dont have either. I doubt Sir Alex Ferguson, Wenger or Mourihino could get anything more out of this group of players.
We need fresh faces and soon. Simple.

bighairyfaeleith
30-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Doesnt mean we cant face up to the fact that with this team we will be in a relegation dogfight. Yes confidence is a factor - but so are things like talent and ability - and the majority of this team dont have either. I doubt Sir Alex Ferguson, Wenger or Mourihino could get anything more out of this group of players.

yes we do need some fresh faces but the problems at hibs are bigger than just that and some fresh faces won't magically make things better. As fans we need to play our part in supporting the team even when things are going bad over the next few months. I reckon there are quite a few players in the current squad that will come good under fenlon but first of all we need to get everyone's confidence up so they feel they can take there time and make the pass rather than getting rid of the ball as quickly as possible.

If we want the players to accept there responsibilities then we need to do the same, and I for one have not always done this under recent managers.

lapsedhibee
30-12-2011, 08:02 AM
we should be trying our upmost to reverse the viscous cycle that we're in
Some of the team do appear to be wading through treacle at times.

spike220
30-12-2011, 08:07 AM

I disagree there is a huge amount of evidence to support the ability of these players, there are a number that have a world of talent. for example: Palson, GOC, Ivan, Scott & Booth just to name a few

Nailrod
30-12-2011, 08:31 AM

I'm sorry, but we've been telling ourselves that "we need fresh faces" for how many transfer windows now? Six? Seven? Eight? How many times have we told ourselves that everything would be fine "once the new manager had brought in his own squad". And it hasn't made a blind bit of difference.

I couldn't agree with the OP more. Hibs are sick at the moment. And I struggle to understand the mentality of supporters who would start and then contribute to a thread called "Which 3 players should GTF?"

I can understand supporters shouting in anger and frustration at individuals on the pitch in the heat of the moment - who hasn't done that? But to start a thread on a supporters' forum - knowing that young players must look at it to see what the fans are saying - in which one of our youngsters is casually denounced as a wage thief, an oxygen thief, a coward, a bottler, useless, etc etc etc... If I didn't know better I would say that the people involved must be jambo lurkers.

Criticise within reason if you will - even individuals. I've done that myself over the past few days. But "Which 3 players should GTF?"

And then this guy is supposed to go out and perform for us.

Iain G
30-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Its a two pronged attack that PF needs, on one hand improving.and educating and getting fit the players we have while bolstering the team with three or four signings who can make an instant improvement on current performace levels. He needs a few players with mental strength and fortitude and belief to keep the fragile confidence levels up when on that pitch.

We are in dire need of Mixu or Matty Jack or the likes out there...

allezsauzee
30-12-2011, 09:03 AM
We need confidence and Zouma

Benny Brazil
30-12-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm sorry, but we've been telling ourselves that "we need fresh faces" for how many transfer windows now? Six? Seven? Eight? How many times have we told ourselves that everything would be fine "once the new manager had brought in his own squad". And it hasn't made a blind bit of difference.

I couldn't agree with the OP more. Hibs are sick at the moment. And I struggle to understand the mentality of supporters who would start and then contribute to a thread called "Which 3 players should GTF?"

I can understand supporters shouting in anger and frustration at individuals on the pitch in the heat of the moment - who hasn't done that? But to start a thread on a supporters' forum - knowing that young players must look at it to see what the fans are saying - in which one of our youngsters is casually denounced as a wage thief, an oxygen thief, a coward, a bottler, useless, etc etc etc... If I didn't know better I would say that the people involved must be jambo lurkers.

Criticise within reason if you will - even individuals. I've done that myself over the past few days. But "Which 3 players should GTF?"

And then this guy is supposed to go out and perform for us.

I know we have been saying every transfer window and every new manager that we need fresh faces - but the previous managers have brought in poor quality players. We need to bring in some quality proven players to boost the team, the club and the fans. Can you honestly say with this group of players you think everything will be ok?
I would love to be wrong on this and that we sneak a win somewhere and then the confidence increases and we start to play some decent football and get ourselves away from the bottom of the league - but at the moment I cant see that happening.
I do agree that Hibs are sick at the moment and there is a huge job for everyone at the club to do - from the players up to the boardroom and to the fans - and yes some of the threads on here are over the top sometimes but that is probably borne out of frustration from the fans who want Hibs to be doing better

snooky
30-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Its a two pronged attack that PF needs, on one hand improving.and educating and getting fit the players we have while bolstering the team with three or four signings who can make an instant improvement on current performace levels. He needs a few players with mental strength and fortitude and belief to keep the fragile confidence levels up when on that pitch.

We are in dire need of Mixu or Matty Jack or the likes out there...

Dare I say it, we need a Dave Mackay, a John Greig, a Billy McNeill.
In a nutshell, a never-say-die player who leads by example.
It wouldn't solve all the problems at ER but it would be a start.

While I agree it's not good to get on to the team, there's been almost nothing positive on the park for a long time.
To put some perspective on the past couple of seasons, Garry's goal was a sweetex in a bucket of Tom Kite

RIP
30-12-2011, 09:20 AM
If our job is to get behind the players and support the boys in green when our backs are against the wall I'm not convinced we are showing enough fight to keep our team in the spl

Nailrod
30-12-2011, 09:29 AM
I know we have been saying every transfer window and every new manager that we need fresh faces - but the previous managers have brought in poor quality players. We need to bring in some quality proven players to boost the team, the club and the fans. Can you honestly say with this group of players you think everything will be ok?
I would love to be wrong on this and that we sneak a win somewhere and then the confidence increases and we start to play some decent football and get ourselves away from the bottom of the league - but at the moment I cant see that happening.
I do agree that Hibs are sick at the moment and there is a huge job for everyone at the club to do - from the players up to the boardroom and to the fans - and yes some of the threads on here are over the top sometimes but that is probably borne out of frustration from the fans who want Hibs to be doing better

There's an OP getting pelters on another thread for suggesting that Fenlon shouldn't go rushing out after a batch of new signings. I agree with him. We've done it again and again and again, and it just hasn't worked. Within a matter of months the 'fresh new faces' are turning in the same 'jaded old performances'.

I would look for no more than two players in January, and I would look to scrape together every penny we can to bring in two players of genuine, real quality who will actually make a difference. The two best players we can afford to buy. If we can lose half a dozen of the current squad to afford them, all the better.

If guys like Spoony, Booth, Hanlon and Galbraith were looking across the pitch at a Franck Sauzee wearing the same strip as them, then we'd soon see them playing to their real potential again. Who knows - it might even gee up some of the others...

J-C
30-12-2011, 09:46 AM
When CC first took over there were stories about the players doing team building exercises at the barracks in Peniquik, doing heavy training etc to get the players fit and raring to go,.......so what happened to the team building/fitness etc. There is a poor discipline/fitness/drinking culture at ER, has been for a good few seasons, started when Petrie decided to back the moaning faced players instead of his manager, since then the players have done what ever they pleased as nowt happens to them discipline wise. Do what they want and no fines/being dropped/put on transfer list etc.

James70
30-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Let's face facts, we are in a results business and that is what matters more than anything.

The reactions of supporters on this site are so predictable and I think that some people get a perverse pleasure out of seeing the team lose yet another game.

Looking back at recent results such as those against Rangers and Aberdeen, I don't think we played that badly and had we not given away controversial penalties the end results could have been quite different. If we had drawn those games with the same level of performance people would have been coming on here with much more positive reactions but because we lost them the team is labelled as garbage.

I am not saying that there are no players we should be offloading or whose days are numbered but I definitely feel that there is a confidence factor at play here. We have three players who are regulars in the Scotland team, one of them being the captain. We also have a player who was captain of Liverpool reserves when Gerrard was playing in the same team. Those don't sound like the sort of players we should be getting rid of yet some posters are saying we need to get rid of all or 90% of the current team.

We DO have quality players at the club but we are not seeing the best of them for various reasons and shouting abuse at them at every opportunity is no way to get them to perform better. Just remember, Steven Fletcher took a fair bit of stick when he was at ER and look at him now.

Kato
30-12-2011, 10:37 AM
I am not saying that there are no players we should be offloading or whose days are numbered but I definitely feel that there is a confidence factor at play here.

Your feeling is undoubtedly correct.

AgentDaleCooper
30-12-2011, 05:38 PM

we'd need pretty much an entire clear-out though. it seems that new players start well then become 'infected' (palsson) by the club. even if we did get an entire new squad of fresh faces - how much time would the fans give them if they didn't gel immediately?

as i have said, writing posts on here along the lines of 'galbraith is *****!' or 'why isn't fenlon playing 4-4-2?' and so on are literally NOTHING more than hot air. the only constructive and supportive thing we can actually do is recognise the crisis of confidence at hibs and do the ONLY thing we can to actually help - go to games and encourage the team.

Alfred E Newman
30-12-2011, 10:01 PM
we'd need pretty much an entire clear-out though. it seems that new players start well then become 'infected' (palsson) by the club. even if we did get an entire new squad of fresh faces - how much time would the fans give them if they didn't gel immediately?

as i have said, writing posts on here along the lines of 'galbraith is *****!' or 'why isn't fenlon playing 4-4-2?' and so on are literally NOTHING more than hot air. the only constructive and supportive thing we can actually do is recognise the crisis of confidence at hibs and do the ONLY thing we can to actually help - go to games and encourage the team.

I have said in another post that we are past the stage of booing. It probably helped speed the belated exit of Calderwood but now it serves no purpose at all. The players are piss poor but unfortunatly we are stuck with most them till the summer and we are going to have to rely on them to get us out of this mess. Abusing them further is only going to drive us down to the !st Div. Encouragement from those of us continuing to go to the games, hard as it may be, might just keep us above Dunfermline.

Hibercelona
31-12-2011, 12:15 AM
We bring in good players but can never seem to get them playing as a unit, so they all end up looking p!sh while they're here. But as soon as they all leave for other clubs that do know how to play as a team, they're able to show their real quality.

We keep bashing players on here. But if we're being honest with ourselves, we know most of these players can be quite decent individually, but theres no sense of team spirit at all within the club.

They don't look like they want to play for one another while they're here, and this is a major major problem!