PDA

View Full Version : Reflection

Disshibee
29-12-2011, 09:09 PM
It’s that time of year for reflection and I confess to being a “long distance” Hibee for many years now, having first worked overseas and now living in England I admit I haven’t been to Easter Road for many a long year. In recent times I have more than once, on hearing of yet another disappointing result, said “that’s it, no more”. I admit a reversal for the Hibs, no matter the opposition really hurts, sort of spoils the weekend but by the Wednesday I’m as hopeful as ever of a win the following game. I recently was asked by a Man U friend of mine why do you put yourself through this? Why don’t you follow Celtic or Rangers or even Hearts? To explain my mate is 1) English and 2) a Manchester United supporter, need I say more. It did set me thinking though…
My first game was against Stirling Albion in Jan 1952, I was nine, and we got an 8-0 win! A hat trick for my hero Lawrie Reilly just made my day but an equally lasting memory was that of the “Gay” Gordon in rubber soled baseball boots turning the whole Albion defence inside out with an absolute master class in dribbling. My next memory, I think the following year, was a Coronation Cup game against a Newcastle United side containing Ronnie Simpson and Jackie Milburn. We had the famous five in full flow and we won 4-0! My first European adventure was Hibs v Djurgaardens, from Sweden. Tommy Younger had a great game in goal and I also had a new hero in Jackie Plenderleith an 18 year old centre half. He made his first team debut at 17! We eventually met Rheims in the semi–final and lost 1-0 at Easter Road after going down 0-2 in the first leg. Rheims went on to play Real Madrid in the European Cup Final, we were that close!
The Scottish Cup final at Hampden in 1958 was a sad, disappointing day stamped for ever in my memory, for more than just the football as well. Just before kick off a drunken Clyde fan standing behind me tried to piss in a bottle and missed and it went all aver the back of my trousers. I daren’t say anything to my old man or he would have murdered the bully wee fan and we’d have been ejected. Hibs went into the final as red hot favourites having beaten the Gers after a replay but Harry Haddock’s guys won despite the fact Andy Aitken had the ball in the net alas via his hand. I also saw our 3-1 win against Barcelona, what an atmosphere that night with Bobby Kinloch coolly slotting the winning penalty. A few weeks previously we’d beaten Peebles Rovers in the Scottish Cup 15-1 with the one and only Baker Boy netting 9!
I have lots more memories, too many to mention here, but my reflections did make me realise why I follow the Hibs and always will. Eh isn’t nostalgia wonderful.

fatbloke
30-12-2011, 12:19 AM
It’s that time of year for reflection and I confess to being a “long distance” Hibee for many years now, having first worked overseas and now living in England I admit I haven’t been to Easter Road for many a long year. In recent times I have more than once, on hearing of yet another disappointing result, said “that’s it, no more”. I admit a reversal for the Hibs, no matter the opposition really hurts, sort of spoils the weekend but by the Wednesday I’m as hopeful as ever of a win the following game. I recently was asked by a Man U friend of mine why do you put yourself through this? Why don’t you follow Celtic or Rangers or even Hearts? To explain my mate is 1) English and 2) a Manchester United supporter, need I say more. It did set me thinking though…
My first game was against Stirling Albion in Jan 1952, I was nine, and we got an 8-0 win! A hat trick for my hero Lawrie Reilly just made my day but an equally lasting memory was that of the “Gay” Gordon in rubber soled baseball boots turning the whole Albion defence inside out with an absolute master class in dribbling. My next memory, I think the following year, was a Coronation Cup game against a Newcastle United side containing Ronnie Simpson and Jackie Milburn. We had the famous five in full flow and we won 4-0! My first European adventure was Hibs v Djurgaardens, from Sweden. Tommy Younger had a great game in goal and I also had a new hero in Jackie Plenderleith an 18 year old centre half. He made his first team debut at 17! We eventually met Rheims in the semi–final and lost 1-0 at Easter Road after going down 0-2 in the first leg. Rheims went on to play Real Madrid in the European Cup Final, we were that close!
The Scottish Cup final at Hampden in 1958 was a sad, disappointing day stamped for ever in my memory, for more than just the football as well. Just before kick off a drunken Clyde fan standing behind me tried to piss in a bottle and missed and it went all aver the back of my trousers. I daren’t say anything to my old man or he would have murdered the bully wee fan and we’d have been ejected. Hibs went into the final as red hot favourites having beaten the Gers after a replay but Harry Haddock’s guys won despite the fact Andy Aitken had the ball in the net alas via his hand. I also saw our 3-1 win against Barcelona, what an atmosphere that night with Bobby Kinloch coolly slotting the winning penalty. A few weeks previously we’d beaten Peebles Rovers in the Scottish Cup 15-1 with the one and only Baker Boy netting 9!
I have lots more memories, too many to mention here, but my reflections did make me realise why I follow the Hibs and always will. Eh isn’t nostalgia wonderful.

As Frank Sinatra sung - They Can't Take That Away From Me.:greengrin

Golden Bear
30-12-2011, 04:56 PM

Excellent reading!

I doubt if any of the present squad will ever attain legendary status - unless of course he's the scorer of the winning goal in what might be the last ever Derby game at ER.

:thumbsup: