PDA

View Full Version : Why is Stack getting such an easy time?

Franck is God
29-12-2011, 12:49 PM
I am generally not one for overly criticising players as I don't think it helps the team in any way but considering the amount of stick that previous keepers have gotten I am surprised that nobody has had a go. If I'm honest I don't really think that he's that good, he seems to be a good blocker but his decision making is erratic and handling poor.

Just watched the highlights of the Dundee United match and each of the three united goals were so easy for the scorers particularly the third and last nights goal was a great run from Hayes but Stack's positioning was awful, I thought he could have done better at the time but when I saw the replay on Alba from the behind the goal camera he's not even standing in the middle of his goal leaving his whole left side gaping.

I want to see Brown back in nets, I was delighted when we signed him from Celtic as I thought we should have taken him from ICT as our number one anyway. Just want to see someone in goals that might make a save that could win us a game and Stack is not that guy.

Sammy7nil
29-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Brown is the best keeper we have.

The defence thought stack was a better organiser I would perfer someone who keeps the ball out of the net.

SMAXXA
29-12-2011, 12:59 PM
I agree and I dont think he is good enough, he doesnt come for crosses which gets on my goat and he was at fault for the 3rd goal at UTD. I was watching the way he kicks the ball from his hands, that kinda kick from the side, he had it in his hands and booted it, he sliced it so the ball went right up in the air and landed on the half way line where there boy headed it forward and Daily finished well. Another example of an avoidable goal from ou individual mistakes.

I prefer Brown if im honest.

Hibercelona
29-12-2011, 01:00 PM
It's amazing how a goal keeper can pull off 10 world class saves in a row then as soon as he doesn't come out for 1 cross, he's under fire by the fans.

Stacks hardly perfect, but i've seen us in games where i've thought "Thank god for Stack, or that would have been an embarrassing result".

Hibercelona
29-12-2011, 01:01 PM
I agree and I dont think he is good enough, he doesnt come for crosses which gets on my goat and he was at fault for the 3rd goal at UTD. I was watching the way he kicks the ball from his hands, that kinda kick from the side, he had it in his hands and booted it, he sliced it so the ball went right up in the air and landed on the half way line where there boy headed it forward and Daily finished well. Another example of an avoidable goal from ou individual mistakes.

:tee hee:

Broken Gnome
29-12-2011, 01:03 PM
When Brown was No.1 we wanted Stack didn't we? And whenever Stack's No.1 we want Brown back?

Both flawed, but both decent enough and they don't concede many cheap goals. That's an improvement on what's been before. Also, both have the advantage of not being Graeme Smith.

R'Albin
29-12-2011, 01:03 PM
It's amazing how a goal keeper can pull off 10 world class saves in a row then as soon as he doesn't come out for 1 cross, he's under fire by the fans.

Stacks hardly perfect, but i've seen us in games where i've thought "Thank god for Stack, or that would have been an embarrassing result".

:agree:

:troll:

James70
29-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I feel sorry for Brown who is a better keeper than several of our previous goalies yet just can't get a game.

Stack always seems very economical in his movements and isn't even that great a shot stopper.

Brown deserves to be given a chance surely or does his contract state he can only play in cup matches? :confused:

Andy74
29-12-2011, 01:06 PM
He doesn't get much stick because he hasn't made that many mistakes.

Hibercelona
29-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Stack always seems very economical in his movements and isn't even that great a shot stopper.

Yes he is.

PeeJay
29-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Think they're both equally good keepers - Brown's kicking was a major problem though, if I recall...

Franck is God
29-12-2011, 01:14 PM

I have said this before but he doesn't make mistakes because he never takes chances, I would also say that he makes quite a lot of mistakes but unlike previous keepers (thinking mainly McNeil & Maka) his mistakes have not led to goals, he also doesn't make that many saves unless the shot is straight at him.

Franck is God
29-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Yes he is.

Then why was he nowhere near the three goals on Saturday or last nights?

Saturday in particular, he just sat down in front of Russell, caught in no mans land for Daly's header then allowed Daly all the time in the world for Daly to control the ball, look up and just chip it over him while he laid down.

GreenPJ
29-12-2011, 01:17 PM

Brown never made many mistakes but got slated for his distrubtion and kicking. Stack is as bad, whilst its a waste of time expecting O'Conner to actually win any headers as he can't jump its a certainty that Sproule won't win headers and yet a lot of Stack's clearances if not sklaffed were going in Sproule's direction rather than down the centre. Add to that that complete lack of willing to come off his line does nothing for our frail defensive state.

Brown deserves a chance.

Hibercelona
29-12-2011, 01:18 PM
I have said this before but he doesn't make mistakes because he never takes chances, I would also say that he makes quite a lot of mistakes but unlike previous keepers (thinking mainly McNeil & Maka) his mistakes have not led to goals, he also doesn't make that many saves unless the shot is straight at him.

His "mistakes" don't lead to goals, because as you said "he never takes chances".

A fair hand full of keepers we had before him were right chancers. Now we have one who is sensible and people aren't happy?

Hibercelona
29-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Then why was he nowhere near the three goals on Saturday or last nights?

Saturday in particular, he just sat down in front of Russell, caught in no mans land for Daly's header then allowed Daly all the time in the world for Daly to control the ball, look up and just chip it over him while he laid down.

No goalie at SPL level would have saved any of them.

As for the Daly incident? Where was the defence? Oh wait.... we don't have one.

He does no too bad for a goalie who has no defenders in front of him all season long.

Conan Doyle
29-12-2011, 01:25 PM
I am generally not one for overly criticising players as I don't think it helps the team in any way but considering the amount of stick that previous keepers have gotten I am surprised that nobody has had a go. If I'm honest I don't really think that he's that good, he seems to be a good blocker but his decision making is erratic and handling poor.

Just watched the highlights of the Dundee United match and each of the three united goals were so easy for the scorers particularly the third and last nights goal was a great run from Hayes but Stack's positioning was awful, I thought he could have done better at the time but when I saw the replay on Alba from the behind the goal camera he's not even standing in the middle of his goal leaving his whole left side gaping.

I want to see Brown back in nets, I was delighted when we signed him from Celtic as I thought we should have taken him from ICT as our number one anyway. Just want to see someone in goals that might make a save that could win us a game and Stack is not that guy.

Stack is a good goal-keeper. :agree:

Prawn Sandwich
29-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Fenlon has already had a goalkeeper on trial, but wasn't thought good enough and not offered a contract. So, Fenlon must think that this is another area needing strengthened?

CallumLaidlaw
29-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Fenlon has already had a goalkeeper on trial, but wasn't thought good enough and not offered a contract. So, Fenlon must think that this is another area needing strengthened?

The keeper was already meant to be coming in on trial before CC got the sack

Bostonhibby
29-12-2011, 02:11 PM

Agree with most of this there's not really a lot in it to be honest, we haven't had a solid keeper since the early 90's in my view and my wardrobe would be a good blocker but its crap at crosses and stays on the line far too much as well. In mitigation what a series of inept defences he or Brown have had in front of them.

RIP
29-12-2011, 02:54 PM
How many goals have we lost as a result of stack glued to his line

matty_f
29-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Stack's positioning was bad for their goal last night but otherwise he is a good enough keeper imho.

Baldy Foghorn
29-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Stack's a coward!..Dunno how to put this to you but Google the you tube Maka eight minutes plus vid..And you'll see someone that did and can save points:)

Dear God, too much xmas sherry ??

Cropley10
29-12-2011, 03:04 PM
I think Stack is very, very average.

Teuchter Hibbie
29-12-2011, 03:08 PM
i would say that goalkeeper is the position we are looking strongest at just now! stack and brown are both very good shot stoppers, both have their faults (crosses for stack, kicking/apparent lack of defensive command for brown), but both ultimately solid players at SPL level.

remember they are also being hindered by a truly horrific defence. o'hanlon and hart - slow, cumbersome, seem incapable of completing simple passes, and get skinned all too often despite their years of experience. hanlon - young, talented, still has the potential to become an excellent player imo, but hindered a lot by the CC era, looks distinctly powderpuff at times. stephens - as above, but more of a bombscare for me, IIRC he let several crosses/balls go between his legs inside the box last night.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I think that Stack is a better goalkeeper than Brown and hasn't done a whole lot wrong. A keeper never really gets plaudits for saves cos that is what they are there for but I think he is on the plus side for goals saved over conceded, if we are looking to have a debate about who is responsible for letting goals in, I would rather start the examination with the ten lame ballerinas in front of the goalie, that let the opposition dance past them week in week out.

BEEJ
29-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Because, to put it bluntly, the GK position is not our biggest problem right now!

Actually there's just not enough supporter criticism and flack to go around the whole first team squad. As a fan base our standards are slipping.

Franck Stanton
29-12-2011, 03:18 PM
When Brown was No.1 we wanted Stack didn't we? And whenever Stack's No.1 we want Brown back?

Both flawed, but both decent enough and they don't concede many cheap goals. That's an improvement on what's been before. Also, both have the advantage of not being Graeme Smith.

Agree completly, seems we as fans are never happy -[unless we are winning of course ]

silverhibee
29-12-2011, 04:01 PM

It didn't stop you slating a certain Hibs player last season.

But i agree with you about Stack, poor goalkeeper.

Brebners Bookie
29-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Because he and Mark Brown are good keepers who have had their small failings emphasised by the bad players in front of them. If either had been our keeper for the Millenium side or the cup winning side they would be much better thought of. Its one thing Yogi did sort out.

AlbertK86
29-12-2011, 10:10 PM

Aye right !! He has been responsible for about half the goals we have lost this season. His failure to cut out high and low balls across our six yard box is frightening and has cost up dearly this season

Nailrod
30-12-2011, 12:52 AM
In terms of actual performance statistics Brown (alongside Smith) is the worst keeper we've had this century. They both conceded 1.86 goals a game, and managed 10% shutouts. As I pointed out yesterday, when your keeper is conceding an average of two goals a game you need to score an average of two just to get a draw, and Hibs' scoring record against SPL opposition over the whole of 2011 isn't even averaging one goal a game.

I don't rate Stack at all. How many goals do we lose to crosses? Did he ever come off his line to try to cut off a cross? But his record is a lot better than Brown's, and they are both playing behind the same defense.

The best keeper we've had this century was Maka, by a considerable margin. Over his whole career (64 games) his stats were 1.19 goals conceded, and 33% shutouts. He was better than Simon Brown, Stack and McNeill, and miles better than Colgan, Caig, Andersson, Zibi, Smith, and Mark Brown. And he certainly wasn't playing for the best team.

The OP is right to make the point about how critical the keeper is. It's worth noting that the difference in goals conceded between Maka and Brown is bigger than the current difference between Hibs and Motherwell. And the principal reason Hearts are where they are is the miserly number of goals they've conceded - only 14 in 21 games.

hibbymac
30-12-2011, 01:00 AM

:confused:

frazeHFC
30-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Stack certainly gets abuse from those infront of me! There was some confrontation during the Rangers game too between him and a fan.

Andy74
30-12-2011, 08:17 AM
In terms of actual performance statistics Brown (alongside Smith) is the worst keeper we've had this century. They both conceded 1.86 goals a game, and managed 10% shutouts. As I pointed out yesterday, when your keeper is conceding an average of two goals a game you need to score an average of two just to get a draw, and Hibs' scoring record against SPL opposition over the whole of 2011 isn't even averaging one goal a game.

I don't rate Stack at all. How many goals do we lose to crosses? Did he ever come off his line to try to cut off a cross? But his record is a lot better than Brown's, and they are both playing behind the same defense.

The best keeper we've had this century was Maka, by a considerable margin. Over his whole career (64 games) his stats were 1.19 goals conceded, and 33% shutouts. He was better than Simon Brown, Stack and McNeill, and miles better than Colgan, Caig, Andersson, Zibi, Smith, and Mark Brown. And he certainly wasn't playing for the best team.

The OP is right to make the point about how critical the keeper is. It's worth noting that the difference in goals conceded between Maka and Brown is bigger than the current difference between Hibs and Motherwell. And the principal reason Hearts are where they are is the miserly number of goals they've conceded - only 14 in 21 games.

That shows how useless stats are when judging a goalkeeper.

Nailrod
30-12-2011, 08:37 AM

So how do you judge a goalkeeper then - with your @rse?

The guy played 64 games for us, not 6, and he let in fewer goals than any other keeper who has played for us this century, and he had far more shutouts.

Mind you, I ought to bear in mind that you were still claiming that A O'B was a player after two years. I guess his stats - 0 goals, 1 assist - were useless when judging a forward as well... :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
30-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Aah all the goalkeeping experts who have never played a single game in goals before are out in force again.

Stack was about half a yard out of position the other night, that didn't really make that much difference as the ball was tucked right in the corner. As for the pish about crosses, there are many top goalkeepers who didn't/don't come for.many crosses, see Shay Given and Andy Goram.

Both Stack and Brown are perfectly fine SPL keepers, far better than the previous incumbents (I believe this is the hillarious term to use these days).

cocopops1875
30-12-2011, 09:08 AM

The guy played 64 games for us, not 6, and he let in fewer goals than any other keeper who has played for us this century, and he had far more shutouts.

Mind you, I ought to bear in mind that you were still claiming that A O'B was a player after two years. I guess his stats - 0 goals, 1 assist - were useless when judging a forward as well... :rolleyes:

? Just checking I have this right, you are claiming that maka should be judged on those stats ? While ignoring the defence in front of him (jones & hogg) I was a bigger fan of maka than most on here but to claim he was better than either brown or stack is crazy. Sadly maka's legacy in football will be a guy with all the god given physical tools to be a top keeper but without the concentration or heart to get there

Andy74
30-12-2011, 10:09 AM

If the game was played with just people taking shots at a goalkeeper you might have a point.

Franck is God
30-12-2011, 11:30 AM
:confused:

All you did was highlight words within two different sentences but I'll clear it up for you though.

Stack hasn't made many obvious errors that have lead directly to goals and the majority of the obvious mistakes he has made he has been a bit lucky to get away with them.

In my opinion though his poor positioning and reluctance to come off his line and really control his penalty box has resulted in goals being conceded quite cheaply at times and with a better more positive keeper in nets may these kinds of goals might have been avoided.

Sioux
30-12-2011, 12:36 PM

This is possibly the biggest load of tripe this month. A keeper's stats have nothing to do with how the team in front of him play?

basehibby
30-12-2011, 01:46 PM

:agree: Some of our "supporters" have the memories of goldfish - Stack and Brown are the solidest couple of keepers we've had since Daniel Anderson IMO and we have the idiot OP proposing that we should all be giving Stack pelters and some other ersehole calling him a coward while talking up Makalambi like he was some kind of superstar. Makes me wonder if I'm living in some kind of parallel universe!

Broken Gnome
30-12-2011, 02:26 PM

:agree:

I would think another set of stats may show that Maka's percentage of preventable goals conceded would rival that of only Zibi and Simon Brown. Both absolutely vilified.

Brown (Ayr first tie and Aberdeen at Pittodrie last year) and Stack (whatever the game was this season with the double save on the line, possibly Motherwell) have both made saves as good as any Hibs keeper for a long time that bordered on the unbelievable. Neither of them make glaring mistakes; they're perfectly fine for Hibs at the current time.

Holmesdale Hibs
31-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Goal keeper stats don't prove much IMO. Do you really believe Stack is worse than Zibi? Andy Goram must have concerned a fair few goals when he played for us despite being one of the best keepers the country has ever had. Goals conceded and clean sheets are a reflection on the whole team.

I think Stack is a decent keeper and, given the standard of the current squad, is one of the last players I'd replace.

erin go bragh
31-12-2011, 12:01 PM
I am generally not one for overly criticising players as I don't think it helps the team in any way but considering the amount of stick that previous keepers have got:rolleyes:ten I am surprised that nobody has had a go. If I'm honest I don't really think that he's that good, he seems to be a good blocker but his decision making is erratic and handling poor.

Yes just what we need , a thread to make sure none of our players are getting missed on the fans witch hunt .
Why dont we start putting the players in stocks before the game and let all the booers pelt them with rotten food ffs .

ggtth

dp00
01-01-2012, 02:38 PM
They are both good keepers.... I'd be comfortable with either of them

If they did not have the faults you all mention you would prob find they would be playing at a higher level

we need to remember we are a spl team. We won't get someone that's perfect

Nailrod
04-01-2012, 01:11 AM
I know I should just let this lie, but I haven’t the slightest desire to discuss “The Future of Hibs” at the moment. And there’s a stubborn little streak inside me that objects to being described as “an ersehole” on this forum.

Some of our "supporters" have the memories of goldfish - Stack and Brown are the solidest couple of keepers we've had since Daniel Anderson IMO and we have the idiot OP proposing that we should all be giving Stack pelters and some other ersehole calling him a coward while talking up Makalambi like he was some kind of superstar. Makes me wonder if I'm living in some kind of parallel universe!
I think you’re right. You live in a parallel universe called “Biscuit-faced Erchie Land” where you invent comments that other posters never said (“calling Stack a coward”) and then use them as an excuse to call the other posters ersheoles. Away back to Biscuit-faced Erchie Land.

Goal keeper stats don't prove much IMO. Do you really believe Stack is worse than Zibi?
Zibi was the worst keeper I’ve ever seen. Zibi could have dropped a superglue-soaked toilet seat hung round his neck on a rope. Where on earth did I suggest that he was better than Stack? I think you maybe belong in Biscuit-Faced Erchie Land too, where you invent stuff that other posters never said and then slag them for it.

Just checking I have this right, you are claiming that maka should be judged on those stats ? While ignoring the defence in front of him (jones & hogg) I was a bigger fan of maka than most on here but to claim he was better than either brown or stack is crazy.

This is possibly the biggest load of tripe this month. A keeper's stats have nothing to do with how the team in front of him play?

Now here, at last, are two men with an argument: Even though statistically Maka was the best keeper to have played for Hibs this century, it’s invalid to analyse his performances while ignoring the context of the defense he played behind. So that’s exactly what we’ll do. We’ll analyse Maka’s performances against other keepers who played behind the same defense. That’ll soon tell a different story.

Maka: Last season with Hibs before he was binned for being useless. 7 games. 3 shutouts. 7 goals conceded. 44% shutouts, average exactly 1 goal per game.

His successors: Same season. Same defense. 21 games. 2 shutouts. 42 goals conceded. 10% shutouts, average exactly 2 goals per game. Exactly twice as many as Maka.

Pump. That doesn’t look right.

Silly me. I’ve fallen into an obvious statistical error. Maka’s 7 games are far too small a sample size to compare against 21 games. I know. We’ll take Maka’s last 21 games for Hibs before he was binned for being useless.That’s quite legitimate, because he was still playing behind the same defense. That’ll soon tell a different story. Here we go:

Successors: 21 games. 2 shutouts. 42 goals conceded. 10% shutouts, average exactly 2 goals per game.

Maka: 21 games. 8 shutouts. 23 goals conceded. 38% shutouts. 1.09 goals per game.

Pump. That’s still completely wrong. Still far more shutouts for Maka, and barely half as many goals conceded.

Ha. Yah. I know. Another silly statistical error. I’ve allowed the ‘others’ stats to become contaminated by ‘outriders’ – individual samples that are completely unrepresentative, and end up skewing the overall result. Let’s clean them up a bit. We’ll get rid of the six that Smith shipped against Motherwell – crazy night! And the five he let in against St Johnstone – I mean, St Johnstone! Then Stack’s 4 goals against Hamilton – bottom club FFS! And the 4 he shipped at ER against the Arabs – Hibs conceding 4 at ER is clearly an ‘outrider'. And just for good measure we’ll get rid of the two 3-0 OF losses – one each for Stack and Smith… Good. We’ve now got rid of the six worst performances by Stack and Smith. But we’ll keep all Maka’s 21 games, including the five OF games and the three against Hearts, because there weren’t really any ‘outriders’ in there. This will soon tell a different story. Here we go:

Maka: 21 games. 8 shutouts. 23 goals conceded. 38% shutouts. 1.09 goals per game.

Others: 15 games. 2 shutouts. 17 goals conceded. 13% shutouts. 1.13 goals per game.

Double pump! This is starting to get annoying. It’s almost as if Maka was going out of his way to conceal his uselessness by having large numbers of shutouts and conceding hardly any goals. I think we need a completely different approach. I know. We’ll bin Smith altogether – he was keech! We’ll only count Stack, and we’ll count all his games in 2009-10, even the ones before Maka was binned. That’s fair, as it was the same defense. And as it happens, it comes to 21 games, which is convenient! Ok, here we go. This will soon tell a different story:

Stack: 21 games. 6 shutouts. 27 goals conceded. 29% shutouts. 1.29 goals conceded.

Right. I’ve had enough. We know Maka was keech but it looks like we’re going to need to do a bit of ‘reverse engineering’. This is how we’ll do it. 8 shutouts in 21 games (including 8 games against the OF and Hearts), is a ridiculously high number for a keech keeper. Maka can’t possibly have achieved that through merit. Some of them must have been due to hitherto unidentified factors like gravitational pull caused by unusual configurations of the planets. So we’ll get rid of some of them… say, half of them. This will soon tell a different story:

Stack: 21 games. 6 shutouts. 27 goals conceded. 29% shutouts. 1.29 goals conceded.

Maka: Only 17 games now. Only 4 shutouts. Still 23 goals conceded. Now only 24% shutouts! And 1.35 goals conceded!

And hey presto! There you have it folks. Black and white. Maka was an inferior keeper.

Much obliged to cocopops and sioux, for pointing out to me that if you want to compare two keepers' performances, you should do it with the same defense.

Nailrod
04-01-2012, 01:53 AM
If the game was played with just people taking shots at a goalkeeper you might have a point.
And if the game was played with just one person taking shots at a goalkeeper your hero Alan O'Brien might eventually have scored... in another year or two.

cocopops1875
04-01-2012, 06:05 AM
Just for you nailrod all that fantastic statistical analysis yet you didn't even re-read the 1st 5 posts. As I said stats can only tell part of the story, I was a fan of maka but think I would rather stack or even brown in goal as I believe stack to be pretty solid (not flawless by any stretch) I'm more concerned that folk seem to think that we need a new keeper? I would change 8/9 players before I'd even think about changing either of our keepers. Just my thoughts
Stack's a coward!..Dunno how to put this to you but Google the you tube Maka eight minutes plus vid..And you'll see someone that did and can save points:)

Brizo
04-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Stacks a poor mans Budgie. A larger than life character and a bit of a gadgie. In a team largely devoid of characters that imo has given him a bit of cult status especially it would appear among the young team in what I believe is called the "singing section". As for his GK abilities hes no Budgie but hes better than some previous "incumbents" :greengrin. Most of his outfield colleagues are far more culpable for our current situation than him.

CmoantheHibs
04-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Yes just what we need , a thread to make sure none of our players are getting missed on the fans witch hunt .
Why dont we start putting the players in stocks before the game and let all the booers pelt them with rotten food ffs .

ggtth

:greengrin Whilst much of the stuff on the forum atm is negative and depressing this post made me chuckle.Nice one.

FWIW I think Stack is a decent keeper.He does have his faults, which most posters seem aware of, but these arent helped by the fact that we are very weak in the full back areas.A bit more protection there and it lessens the impact of his weakness at dealing with wide balls into the box.I also think Brown is a decent keeper so at least we have healthy competition for the keepers jersey which isnt the case for other positions in the team.