PDA

View Full Version : 442 with wingers

Hibby Bairn
29-12-2011, 09:16 AM
One simple way for us to improve short term would be to get the so called wingers playing as wingers.

Despite the rants elsewhere Galbraith did actually get down the left a couple of times in the first half and put over decent-ish balls. Unfortunately that was it. He and Sproule (or a.n. other) need to be doing this 10 times each at least per game. Attacking the full back, staying out wide, beating their man 1 on 1. Tiring out their defence. It is too easy for the opposition.

Too many times they were defending, drifting in from the touchline, hiding (down to confidence) and as a result we either play hoofball or don't get up the pitch. They need to be fed the ball in the opposition half and give them a chance to have a go. Not get the ball when they are 70 yards from the bye line. Full backs pushing on a bit more should push them up a bit as well.

Keep it simple man. It is a simple game.

Andy74
29-12-2011, 09:19 AM
One simple way for us to improve short term would be to get the so called wingers playing as wingers.

Despite the rants elsewhere Galbraith did actually get down the left a couple of times in the first half and put over decent-ish balls. Unfortunately that was it. He and Sproule (or a.n. other) need to be doing this 10 times each at least per game. Attacking the full back, staying out wide, beating their man 1 on 1. Tiring out their defence. It is too easy for the opposition.

Too many times they were defending, drifting in from the touchline, hiding (down to confidence) and as a result we either play hoofball or don't get up the pitch. They need to be fed the ball in the opposition half and give them a chance to have a go. Not get the ball when they are 70 yards from the bye line. Full backs pushing on a bit more should push them up a bit as well.

I think we need to get a couple of decent wingers first.

Hibby Bairn
29-12-2011, 09:28 AM
I think we need to get a couple of decent wingers first.

Fair enough Andy but we have what we have. And these guys do have a bit of pace. I just think we need to be giving them one simple job. Stay out wide and get the ball in the box.

That is it. I think we make these guys jobs too complicated.

Godsahibby
29-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Ive been saying this for a whle, we have the players for this to work. My preference would be for Booth wide left instead of Galbraith, many of the folk that watched him for the 19's or when he was out on loan would say this was his best position.

Davy Mac
29-12-2011, 09:39 AM

442 with wingers is fine if you have 2 hard working midfielders who are extremely fit prepared to roll up their sleeves and battle.............we don't have one single midfielder who can do that job IMO.

Possible 352 would work better as it quickly can become 532 if things are difficult, but again you need to have 3 strong defenders who can cover/read the game whilst our wing backs push forward.

Nope 451 until better personnel arrive.

Andy74
29-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Fair enough Andy but we have what we have. And these guys do have a bit of pace. I just think we need to be giving them one simple job. Stay out wide and get the ball in the box.

That is it. I think we make these guys jobs too complicated.

That was the intention but the two guys out there had no ability or pace to go past people. Sproule just looks for the pass in the way now.

We also aren't good enough to get the ball out to them and then if a ball does get crossed in once in a while we have no one to attack it.

We really have no clue in posession. Inverness looked like they had a purpose with the ball and an idea about how to move it forward. We are like a drabbit in the headlights and time a player gets the ball and its a blind panic until he sees someone close enough to give it to.

Guys like Boozy and McBride used to get some stick but we could really do with someone brave and comfortable on the ball to get us passing the thing and enable us to get wide and get crosses in.

leithsansiro
29-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Going with what we have at the moment;

Stack

Hanlon
Stephens
Murray (sweeping)

Booth (as attacking wingback)
Wotherspoon (as attacking wingback)

Scott (as an aggressive ball winner) / Stanton
Stevenson (to play simple passes in midfield)
Osbourne

Doyle
Griffiths (or Caldwell, if he's ready)

Keep it simple. No hoofball please.

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2011, 10:06 AM
4-4-2, 3-5-1, 4-2-3-1 or 4-6-0, it makes no difference with this dross. Perm any combination from whats available its all the same result. Poor players playing a poor excuse of football to less and less people, Calderclown has taken us back to some of the worst times i can remember as a Hibs fan, relegation included.

I really do think this team is up there with the worst i have witnessed.

500miles
29-12-2011, 10:24 AM
We need a couple of decent wingers. Given the fact that, Stack had nothing of note to do, apart from pick the ball out of the net after Hayes excellent solo effort, I think yesterday indicated that our lack of creativity is greater undoing than our defence. I'd also be looking to replace Griffiths - his decision making is woeful.

Steve-O
29-12-2011, 11:04 AM
I would start trying a 4-5-1 with wingers, making it a 4-3-3 when going forward. Having 3 in that central midfield area would surely stop us getting overrun in there quite so easily. It was genuinely a waste of time having 2 up last night as they did not work together at all.

Andy74
29-12-2011, 11:05 AM
I would start trying a 4-5-1 with wingers, making it a 4-3-3 when going forward. Having 3 in that central midfield area would surely stop us getting overrun in there quite so easily. It was genuinely a waste of time having 2 up last night as they did not work together at all.

Start? That's what we've been trying for the last year and a bit.

Steve-O
29-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Start? That's what we've been trying for the last year and a bit.

Don't recall seeing them do that in games I have seen, but I have not seen many games. Do need a couple of players in to make it work though. A right back and decent wingers would be a start.

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Don't recall seeing them do that in games I have seen, but I have not seen many games. Do need a couple of players in to make it work though. A right back and decent wingers would be a start.

We have been playing with 1 up front with 5 in the middle for nearly as long as i can remember. Yes i'm getting old. :wink:

TowerHibs
29-12-2011, 03:18 PM
As Mowbary showed, the younger kids are willing to come in and accept new ideas and new culture in the club. I think Fenlon should be pitching the kids in and getting his work rate and philosophy drilled into them now

A central midfielder like Boozy (I think Osbourne could cope) to go and get the ball and switch flanks early. Any team who has done reasonably well recently in the SPL (accept Hearts) have done so with a mainly young team! The current culture at the club is a farce, young hungry players who we can move on is the way forward!