PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon

Sergeant Hibs
29-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Where was Paul Hanlon tonight i know he's no Vidic but he's better than Stephens and O'Hanlon would've helped and possibly closed Hayes down rather than watch him shoot

Steven_Hibs
29-12-2011, 12:07 AM
(I should have said "I hope he was dropped") He was dropped as he is absolute rank, I dont rate him one bit, never a defender in a million years, so lightweight, and always making mistakes, glad Fenlon has finally seen right through this guy

Franck Stanton
29-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Read earlier today on .Net that he was out tonight with a stomach complaint.

Postman
29-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Where was Paul Hanlon tonight i know he's no Vidic but he's better than Stephens and O'Hanlon would've helped and possibly closed Hayes down rather than watch him shoot
I'm not convinced he is better than Stephens! O'Hanlon by a mile but that's not difficult

Judas Iscariot
29-12-2011, 12:13 AM
He was dropped as he is absolute rank, I dont rate him one bit, never a defender in a million years, so lightweight, and always making mistakes, glad Fenlon has finally seen right through this guy

Great made up post btw...

Was out with a stomach bug afaik

Sergeant Hibs
29-12-2011, 12:17 AM
A defence of Towell/Spoony Hanlon Murray Booth is our best bet for the derby if there are no new faces before then IMO

BEEJ
29-12-2011, 12:19 AM
He was dropped as he is absolute rank, I dont rate him one bit, never a defender in a million years, so lightweight, and always making mistakes, glad Fenlon has finally seen right through this guy
He's managed to fool the Scotland U-21 management team for a long while then. Best give them a bell and pass on the benefit of your insight.

:greengrin

stanton10
29-12-2011, 12:26 AM
O
he's managed to fool the scotland u-21 management team for a long while then. Best give them a bell and pass on the benefit of your insight.

oh yes and billy stark has worked wonders i dont think,

007 Mickey Weir
29-12-2011, 12:30 AM
I rate Stephens. Spoony stephens Hanlon smith is defense I would go with. Get Scott Towell Stevenson booth in midfield with Mrs Doyle and Gaz up front.

BEEJ
29-12-2011, 12:32 AM
O

oh yes and billy stark has worked wonders i dont think,
A remarkable number of 'supporters' on here tonight just desperate to get stuck into one of our younger players ....

... who wasn't even playing this evening. :greengrin

Mind-boggling. :wink:

NorthNorfolkHFC
29-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Towell? He can leave, no to him at RB and no to him in midfield. He never looks fit, he has a distinctly fat erse and can't run the length of himself! The amount of times more athletic, fitter players run by him is a joke. He would struggle playing gives with us on a Monday night!!!!!!!

Steven_Hibs
29-12-2011, 01:03 AM
He's managed to fool the Scotland U-21 management team for a long while then. Best give them a bell and pass on the benefit of your insight.

Maybe cause there is no one else :rolleyes:

Steven_Hibs
29-12-2011, 01:05 AM
A remarkable number of 'supporters' on here tonight just desperate to get stuck into one of our younger players ....

It's not just this evening that I have come to the conclusion that Hanlon is a waste of space, I have never rated him and never will, he's a centre forwards dream :greengrin

easty
29-12-2011, 01:30 AM
Towell? He can leave, no to him at RB and no to him in midfield. He never looks fit, he has a distinctly fat erse and can't run the length of himself! The amount of times more athletic, fitter players run by him is a joke. He would struggle playing gives with us on a Monday night!!!!!!!

Ooooh....bitchy. :wink: I heard he's just big boned.

easty
29-12-2011, 01:33 AM
I rate Stephens. Spoony stephens Hanlon smith is defense I would go with. Get Scott Towell Stevenson booth in midfield with Mrs Doyle and Gaz up front.

That would be an awful team. Midfield would get slaughtered.

I don't particularly rate Stephens, he looks to have all the attributes required to be a decent defender. He's big, strong, hard in the tackle, not too bad with the ball at his feet either. However, he does seem prone to head in the clouds moments. Doesn't seem focussed.

SMAXXA
29-12-2011, 01:45 AM

Aw come one mate is this the same one of those younger players that have had 3 years spl experience, the guys hopeless, the quicker we get him and the enigma that is wotherspoon out that team the better.

they wouldnt get a game for Falkirk, whats the love in with these players (I use that term loosley)????

monktonharp
29-12-2011, 02:06 AM
Aw come one mate is this the same one of those younger players that have had 3 years spl experience, the guys hopeless, the quicker we get him and the enigma that is wotherspoon out that team the better.

they wouldnt get a game for Falkirk, whats the love in with these players (I use that term loosley)???? :those two young players have a lot to learn, imho. although I thought young Hanlon had some decent games last season,he has been positively mince fpr maist o' this season and Widdy has flatered to deceive. Wotherspoon keeps looking as if he has promise, but when is he gonna realise that? he canny keep fannying aboot, he needs tae stand up and say, gaffer I'M a mid-right back-whatever, and if you cant see that, then I'm off. so what really are ye Widdy?

SMAXXA
29-12-2011, 02:19 AM
:those two young players have a lot to learn, imho. although I thought young Hanlon had some decent games last season,he has been positively mince fpr maist o' this season and Widdy has flatered to deceive. Wotherspoon keeps looking as if he has promise, but when is he gonna realise that? he canny keep fannying aboot, he needs tae stand up and say, gaffer I'M a mid-right back-whatever, and if you cant see that, then I'm off. so what really are ye Widdy?

Am hearing you mate but the way I look at it is that its always a decent guager to say well in any of the SPL teams we aspire to be better than or as good as, who would these lads get a game for???? Young I agree, promise I well agree also but promise as a pro footballer and promise as a player that will take Hibs to where we want to be is another thing. First devision at best imo, mind keep playing them and I might be proven right but not in the team I want them to be in. Nowt personal btw nice guys im sure but they are as culpable as anyone the last few years, simply not good enough.

Nailrod
29-12-2011, 04:39 AM
Any promising young players breaking through to the first team at ER at the moment will have their careers wrecked. In a couple of years they'll be getting slagged off as "never good enough..."

matty_f
29-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Any promising young players breaking through to the first team at ER at the moment will have their careers wrecked. In a couple of years they'll be getting slagged off as "never good enough..."

Unless they show themselves to be good enough...

The problem with the players at Hibs just now, regardless of age, is that very few of them are showing that they are good enough.

So far this season, I'd give pass marks to Stephens, Osbourne, Stevenson, and well, that's about it. If there are young players there that can break into the team then they need to step up to the plate when called upon and deliver. Wotherspoon has had three seasons and barring a bright spell initially under Yogi, he's not improved at all. Contrast that with the Brown/Thomson/Riordan side, they showed promise initially and improved each season.

We are second bottom of the league, with the best will in the world we don't have the time or opportunity to carry young players who are miles off the standard needed while they take three seasons to realise their potential. We need points on the board now, and that means playing players that can be relied upon to give a performance week in/week out.

stanton10
29-12-2011, 07:50 AM

The problem with the players at Hibs just now, regardless of age, is that very few of them are showing that they are good enough.

So far this season, I'd give pass marks to Stephens, Osbourne, Stevenson, and well, that's about it. If there are young players there that can break into the team then they need to step up to the plate when called upon and deliver. Wotherspoon has had three seasons and barring a bright spell initially under Yogi, he's not improved at all. Contrast that with the Brown/Thomson/Riordan side, they showed promise initially and improved each season.

We are second bottom of the league, with the best will in the world we don't have the time or opportunity to carry young players who are miles off the standard needed while they take three seasons to realise their potential. We need points on the board now, and that means playing players that can be relied upon to give a performance week in/week out.

agreed agreed agreed pf must make his move now or he will go like before him,

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2011, 08:00 AM

:agree::top marks

Beefster
29-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Booth is twice the player that Hanlon is at LB and O'Hanlon and Stephens are just as good as Hanlon at CB.

That's how good Hanlon is.

PeterboroHibee
29-12-2011, 09:04 AM
I don't particularly rate Stephens, he looks to have all the attributes required to be a decent defender. He's big, strong, hard in the tackle, not too bad with the ball at his feet either. However, he does seem prone to head in the clouds moments. Doesn't seem focussed.

Stephens is only 20, so things like that are kind of expected. He should have an experienced CB alongside him, who keeps his concentration and talks him through the game, but he only has O'Hanlon...

I like Hanlon, alot better than O'Hanlon. Has his faults but again, hes only a young guy, he should be learning his trade but instead is in a shocking defence, where theres no leadership, and that receives no help from a very weak midfield. As someone said, who would want to be a youngster coming into this 'team'?

Steven_Hibs
29-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Booth is twice the player that Hanlon is at LB and O'Hanlon and Stephens are just as good as Hanlon at CB.

That's how good Hanlon is.

The thing with Booth at LB is that he is always looking to overlap, whereas Hanlon never really ventures past the halfway line. There must be a guy in the lower leagues of England who can captain the team at CB??? You might have to pay a bit extra, but these players are what we need

Feed McGraw
29-12-2011, 09:05 PM
So disappointed in Hanlon, some people keep saying he is young and still has potential, but 22 in January and many,many, 1st team games behind him - I dunno, he was lost at centre half, shipped out to left back where he has been mediocre at best. So where to from here ?

jdships
29-12-2011, 09:07 PM

According to the guys he plays with , if that means anything, he was in bed all day Tuesday with a stomach complaint :shhhsh!:

zero-seven
29-12-2011, 09:10 PM

Absolutely agree with this poster..if he is the future of hibs, then i am a hibs supporter that has seen them win the scottish cup...he is a liability. empty

Feed McGraw
29-12-2011, 09:11 PM
According to the guys he plays with , if that means anything, he was in bed all day Tuesday with a stomach complaint :shhhsh!:

Well that may be the case, but doesn`t change the fact that he has been awful on the park for quite some time so people could easily believe he`d been dropped.

easty
29-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Hanlon will come good. I'd have him in my Hibs team every week, he's the best centre half we've got (yeah I know that doesn't say much).

O'Hanlon isn't what we need alongside him though. We needed an experienced player who would lead, and who most importantly would talk the defence through the game. With that sort of player Booth would come on leaps and bounds as well. O'Hanlon hasn't done that at all, but he's not really a bad player. He'd probably look more than decent alongside that sort of leader player that we really need.

jdships
29-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Well that may be the case, but doesn`t change the fact that he has been awful on the park for quite some time so people could easily believe he`d been dropped.

As always all a matter of opinion, which we are entitled to state.
Wether we agree with them is up to the individual :greengrin
My point was that in THIS instance the lad was ill

:flag:

Feed McGraw
29-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Hanlon will come good. I'd have him in my Hibs team every week, he's the best centre half we've got (yeah I know that doesn't say much).

O'Hanlon isn't what we need alongside him though. We needed an experienced player who would lead, and who most importantly would talk the defence through the game. With that sort of player Booth would come on leaps and bounds as well. O'Hanlon hasn't done that at all, but he's not really a bad player. He'd probably look more than decent alongside that sort of leader player that we really need.

If Hanlon`s gonna come good then he better hurry up. He`s been around a fair old while and going backwards at a rate of knots.

Feed McGraw
29-12-2011, 10:00 PM
As always all a matter of opinion, which we are entitled to state.
Wether we agree with them is up to the individual :greengrin
My point was that in THIS instance the lad was ill

:flag:

jd, I`m not disputing he was ill. I`m saying that Hanlon has been a constant in a very poor Hibs team and can understand why people thought he`d been dropped. I respect your posts and realise it`s all about opinions.

edwards
29-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Have to agree Hanlon has done a good impersonation of a headless chicken over the past couple of weeks, I feel Stephens has shown slight improvement, and O'hanlon must have some sleepless friday nights thinking about how he is going to cope on a Saturday.
I remember Lennon saints writing about the under 21's scotland and the players getting a false sense of security thinking they had made it, I feel Hanlon may have fallen into that category

Steven_Hibs
29-12-2011, 11:47 PM

I should have said "I hope he was dropped" :rolleyes:

Steven_Hibs
29-12-2011, 11:53 PM

I doubt that, he's played something like 70 games for us, and I haven't seen an improvement yet. How this guy gets pass marks I'll never know. He's not even a centrehalf??? You need to be strong, aggresive and leadership abilities to have a chance in that position. Hanlon has none of that. The only centrehalf who never gets booked nor gets his shorts dirty :greengrin His positional sense is woefull, we will progress as a club without these types of players

Sergeant Hibs
30-12-2011, 12:21 AM
I doubt that, he's played something like 70 games for us, and I haven't seen an improvement yet. How this guy gets pass marks I'll never know. He's not even a centrehalf??? You need to be strong, aggresive and leadership abilities to have a chance in that position. Hanlon has none of that. The only centrehalf who never gets booked nor gets his shorts dirty :greengrin His positional sense is woefull, we will progress as a club without these types of players

What position is he then?

1987green
30-12-2011, 01:18 AM
Stephens is gash big clumbersome no idea where danger is coming from. O'Hanlon just shiet. Booth never a full back can't header a ball but should play 1 in front coz he has pace to burn. Hanlon was a box to box player as a boy at Hutchie Vale and was very good at it. Galbraith played in the same team and was good enough for Man u Sparky thinks he is a hard man who wants to fight everyone and will show this against the vermin he cannae fight sleep. Back to Galbraith no where near the player he was and should be emptiedalong with 90% of the 1st team

.Sean.
30-12-2011, 02:03 AM
What position is he then?
Played left mid as a lad.

greenlex
30-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Astonishing
You do realise you are talking about Scotland's U21 captain? I think folk who are in football and do it for a living are better placed than you to be assessing Hanlons capabilities.
I really wonder what some folk watch when they are at games I really do.
he is probably one of the only players in our current team we are likely to be able to sell.

JimBHibees
30-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Astonishing
You do realise you are talking about Scotland's U21 captain? I think folk who are in football and do it for a living are better placed than you to be assessing Hanlons capabilities.
I really wonder what some folk watch when they are at games I really do.he is probably one of the only players in our current team we are likely to be able to sell.

Is it sometimes difficult to get a good view of Hibs games from the Wheatfield stand though :greengrin

He has potential no doubt however to me along with some of the other young players hasnt improved much probably not helped by the cauldron of support :greengrin at home games. Centre half is his position IMO and I would put him back in the middle for the derby. He does need to toughen up however some of his performances have been top notch including when he was sensational at Parkhead when we won which to be fair is a good while ago.

Beefster
30-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Astonishing
I really wonder what some folk watch when they are at games I really do.
he is probably one of the only players in our current team we are likely to be able to sell.

His captaincy of the U21's is pretty irrelevant. He's the oldest and most capped player in that squad (and with no chance of being promoted to the senior squad) so is one of the most likely candidates.

What do you think he does that lifts him head and shoulders above the likes of Stephens or even Hogg? You don't think that he's better at left-back than Booth, do you?

whiskyhibby
30-12-2011, 12:54 PM
If Hanlon`s gonna come good then he better hurry up. He`s been around a fair old while and going backwards at a rate of knots.

Sorry but thats your view...others would say thats absolute nonsense:cb

Andy74
30-12-2011, 01:01 PM
I've never been in favour of playing young guys at the back - I just don't see the point.

They generally are lightweight and inconsistent and don't really know their position.

If they ever develop and become decent they will be off so its not like we are benefitting.

I'd much rather save the youngsters for other areas in the team and have a solid and experienced back four and goalkeeper.

greenlex
30-12-2011, 01:47 PM
His captaincy of the U21's is pretty irrelevant. He's the oldest and most capped player in that squad (and with no chance of being promoted to the senior squad) so is one of the most likely candidates.

What do you think he does that lifts him head and shoulders above the likes of Stephens or even Hogg? You don't think that he's better at left-back than Booth, do you?
Course it's relevant. The Poster was claiming he was crap. If he was he wouldn't be in the squad. He wouldn't be near the team and he certainly wouldn't be captain.
is he better than Stephens or Hogg. Stephens debate able. Hogg Irrelevant. He is certainly more experienced than Stephens.
better at Left Back than Booth. Yes I actually think at the moment for where Hibs are his defensive qualities are better than Booths and more experienced Hanlon is the best option for now at left back until our midfield sorts itself out.
If Booth is the better option at left back why is he in the U21set up ahead of him that position?

Beefster
30-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Course it's relevant. The Poster was claiming he was crap. If he was he wouldn't be in the squad. He wouldn't be near the team and he certainly wouldn't be captain.
is he better than Stephens or Hogg. Stephens debate able. Hogg Irrelevant. He is certainly more experienced than Stephens.
better at Left Back than Booth. Yes I actually think at the moment for where Hibs are his defensive qualities are better than Booths and more experienced Hanlon is the best option for now at left back until our midfield sorts itself out.
If Booth is the better option at left back why is he in the U21set up ahead of him that position?

Paul Caddis was the U21 captain. He plays in League Two now.

I mentioned Hogg because I think that Hanlon is very similar to Hogg at the same age.

You'd need to ask Billy Stark on why he's ahead of Booth but Booth is, by far, a better player IMO. More pace, more ability, can take on a man, can defend just as well, more potential - just off the top of my head.

Big Frank
30-12-2011, 02:09 PM

Wouldn't change a word of that. Absolutely spot on for me.

Feed McGraw
30-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Sorry but thats your view...others would say thats absolute nonsense:cb

I`m sure they would. But other others would probably agree, no ?
:dunno:

greenlex
30-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Paul Caddis was the U21 captain. He plays in League Two now.

I mentioned Hogg because I think that Hanlon is very similar to Hogg at the same age.

You'd need to ask Billy Stark on why he's ahead of Booth but Booth is, by far, a better player IMO. More pace, more ability, can take on a man, can defend just as well, more potential - just off the top of my head.
Are Caddis and Hogg both crap? Would they get te nod before Hanlon right now?
Would they get the nod before Booth?

SMAXXA
30-12-2011, 06:30 PM

Lex I find myself agreeing with alot of your posts but will have to disagree on this one. Hanlon regardless if he is the Scotland u21 captain or not doesnt offer Hibs more than Booth. Everytime he gets the ball at his feet he lumps it forward to no one, done it throughout the Aberdeen game for example. Booth IMO is a better player and has shown more in his short career than Hanlon has shown in 3 years. I really do think he has gone backwards as a player, not good enough as a centre half and not a good enough left back. I do agree though that he is probably a better defender than booth but sometimes the best form of defence is attack and Booth can take the ball to feet, run with it find a pass etc, all taking the pressure of the defence (Most of the time that is, his wee crazy spell where he lost his confidence at the start of the season aside).

Stephens is a better centre half IMO, excellent in the air, good with the ball at his feet but I also agree he is partial to a laps in concentration aswell. Something I've seen of Hanlon over the years when he was first coming though, which you have to cut young players some slack, they are gaining experience but what I would say is that with PH having played so many games now he shouldnt get the same leaway as Stephens.

Just my opinion I guess and we all have different views on things (But im right and your no :greengrin :greengrin just kidding)