PDA

View Full Version : Was it a dive?

Monts
28-12-2011, 10:51 PM
And has it suspended OConnor for the derby?

CallumLaidlaw
28-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Certainly was plenty of contact from where I was sitting

Sammy7nil
28-12-2011, 10:54 PM
No but he could have stayed on his feet.
Yes he is suspended

Hibercelona
28-12-2011, 10:55 PM

I don't think he got booked for diving.

I believe he got booked for claiming for the penalty when it quite clearly wasn't one.

It's still an act of conning, even if he didn't initially dive.

He should have got right back up and played on like a professional. Then he probably wouldn't have got booked.

Billy Whizz
28-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Yes he is suspended

I agree but when you have the reputation of diving, in the longterm your going to get nothing

Sir David Gray
28-12-2011, 10:56 PM
How can a booking tonight have suspended him for the derby?

I thought a booking that takes you over the points threshold for a ban didn't kick in for two weeks.

Or has that rule changed now too? :confused:

hibee_girl
It looked like a penalty from where I sit in the middle of the East.

How can he be suspended? Suspensions kick in 14 days after the yellow card is issued no? :confused:

skipster7
it almost caused a fight in front of me :embarrass
one guy saying ****** to the ref and the other saying gary was a disgrace :rolleyes: going by his recent form it probably was.

hibee_girl
28-12-2011, 10:57 PM
it almost caused a fight in front of me :embarrass
one guy saying ****** to the ref and the other saying gary was a disgrace :rolleyes: going by his recent form it probably was.

That was more entertaining than the game! :greengrin

NOLA
28-12-2011, 10:58 PM
just watched it on bbc alba, defender puts his leg across garry's body, not a dive.

woody47
28-12-2011, 11:02 PM
just watched it on bbc alba, defender puts his leg across garry's body, not a dive.

Agree 100%. Defender's leg went right across him. Once ref sees it will he man up and rescind the booking?

Holmesdale Hibs
Just saw it on bbc alba as well. Looked like a penalty to me. Certainly not a dive.

Tyler Durden

I believe he got booked for claiming for the penalty when it quite clearly wasn't one.

He should have got right back up and played on like a professional. Then he probably wouldn't have got booked.

Total nonsense as he doesn't actually claim for anything. The guy makes no contact with the ball - despite that I don't think it's a penalty but it's not a dive either. Karma I suppose.

Sir David Gray
28-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Agree 100%. Defender's leg went right across him. Once ref sees it will he man up and rescind the booking?

Bookings can't be rescinded. Only straight red cards for violent conduct or for mistaken identity.

Hibercelona
28-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Total nonsense as he doesn't actually claim for anything. The guy makes no contact with the ball - despite that I don't think it's a penalty but it's not a dive either. Karma I suppose.

Why didn't he just get back up then, instead of waving his hands in the air like a kid who just dropped their ice cream?

If you get right back up and show that you had no deliberate intentions of going down, then you wont get booked.

Sir David Gray
28-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Yes he is suspended

Any chance you could explain this one to me please?

How can O'Connor be suspended for the next game after only being booked?

JustSimplyHibs
28-12-2011, 11:28 PM

This guy spends more time on his backside than putting the defence under pressure....get back to the way you used to play ya big fairy :cb you ar no good to Hibs lying on yer backside all the time

ballengeich
28-12-2011, 11:34 PM
I didn't think it was either a dive or a penalty. Sometimes people bump into each other and one or both ends up on the ground. Unfortunately, Gary's getting a reputation and I suspect that contributed to his yellow card.

Steve-O
29-12-2011, 12:00 AM
He threw his arms up in the air like a big fud and I thought it was a dive. I was pretty close to it too. The guy is utterly useless.

Franck Stanton
29-12-2011, 12:06 AM
I didn't think it was either a dive or a penalty. Sometimes people bump into each other and one or both ends up on the ground. Unfortunately, Gary's getting a reputation and I suspect that contributed to his yellow card.

Exactly.:thumbsup:

greenlex
29-12-2011, 12:14 AM
From west lower and almost from the refs view it looked like a dive to me.

Holmesdale Hibs
29-12-2011, 12:30 AM
I thought we might have had a penalty in the last 5 minutes for hand ball. Not the one when Scott headered it against the defender (never a penalty) but I thought an Inverness player handeled a cross from the left wing, possibly from Galbraith or Booth. The ball travelled a long way and he had time to move his hand. I didn't get a great view but it looked a decent shout. Did anyone else see it?

matty_f
29-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Just saw it on bbc alba as well. Looked like a penalty to me. Certainly not a dive.

Just watched it too and there is definitely contact. Not sure if I'd have given a penalty but that instance it definitely wasn't a dive. That said, Garry went down too easily a good few times tonight, IMHO. If he gets/has a reputation for diving then he'll never get decisions like that in his favour.

I thought we might have had a penalty in the last 5 minutes for hand ball. Not the one when Scott headered it against the defender (never a penalty) but I thought an Inverness player handeled a cross from the left wing, possibly from Galbraith or Booth. The ball travelled a long way and he had time to move his hand. I didn't get a great view but it looked a decent shout. Did anyone else see it?

I had a decent look at it and thought it was definitely a penalty, though I'll watch it on tv and probably find it definitely wasn't!:greengrin

happiehibbie
29-12-2011, 09:56 AM
from where i was sitting just left of the goals i thought someone had shot him hands up in the air and down he goes I was a bit upset and shouted at him for diving. We lost a goal because he fell over in there half. GOC has been diving all over the place latley and last night was Karma for me.

Having watched in online i dont belive he needed to go down but there was contact and not classed as a dive so GOC am sorry for calling you bad names but can i ask you to STAY ON YOUR FEET more often thank you x

Peevemor
29-12-2011, 10:02 AM
GO'C was running on (or after) the ball in the box. The defender makes a late, high challenge, hooking his leg around the middle of GO'C's body and bringing him down.

For me that's a stonewall penalty and I don't understand how people who have seen the replay can say otherwise. :dunno:

matty_f
29-12-2011, 10:03 AM
from where i was sitting just left of the goals i thought someone had shot him hands up in the air and down he goes I was a bit upset and shouted at him for diving. We lost a goal because he fell over in there half. GOC has been diving all over the place latley and last night was Karma for me.

Having watched in online i dont belive he needed to go down but there was contact and not classed as a dive so GOC am sorry for calling you bad names but can i ask you to STAY ON YOUR FEET more often thank you x

I love the fact that you finished that post off with a little kiss.:greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
29-12-2011, 10:03 AM
He threw his arms up in the air like a big fud and I thought it was a dive. I was pretty close to it too. The guy is utterly useless.

aye that free kick was an effin joke:faf:

matty_f
29-12-2011, 10:04 AM
GO'C was running on (or after) the ball in the box. The defender makes a late, high challenge, hooking his leg around the middle of GO'C's body and bringing him down.

For me that's a stonewall penalty and I don't understand how people who have seen the replay can say otherwise. :dunno:

:agree: Watched it a few times now and it's a penalty every day of the week.

DaveF
29-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Not yet seen it on the telly, but from upper west - and in line with the referee - it looked like a blatent dive, followed by a patgetic appeal.

Clearly those who have seen it on alba view it differently but in real time it was a dive IMO.

ballengeich
29-12-2011, 10:40 AM

I was wrong. After seeing the highlights I think it was a penalty.

Andy74
29-12-2011, 10:53 AM
I haven't seen the TV which seems to show it was a pentalty.

At the game and right in line with it it looked like a clear dive. The one he was cleared of was also a pnealty but he also made the most of that. It didn't help that he was chucking himself to the floor theatrically evry time anyone went near him.

happiehibbie
29-12-2011, 11:32 AM
I love the fact that you finished that post off with a little kiss.:greengrin

thanks x :)

ano hibby
29-12-2011, 11:32 AM
In real time it looked like a dive. If TV proves this incorrect fair enough. GOC went down way too easily last night..lost count of number of times..7/8/9..it was embaressing. Reputation now goes ahead of him. Unfortunatley GOC looks less fit, interested and able than he was 4/5 months ago. Shadow of the player he once was. Just cant control the ball..be interested to know what PF makes of our star striker:confused:

Steve-O
29-12-2011, 11:59 AM
aye that free kick was an effin joke:faf:

Aye you are right, his second attempt was pish!

Conan Doyle
29-12-2011, 02:22 PM

Rodell Vereen is better in the box.:cb

Black Kyle
29-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Theatrical, making it look like a dive in real time.

NAE NOOKIE
29-12-2011, 03:08 PM
From where I was it looked like a dive, though I havnt seen the TV pictures.

Anyway, if G O'C keeps up his recent efforts at staying upright the way things are going his next transfer will be to the top of the Christmas tree in Princes Street, coz he's acting like a great big sodding fairy.

The guy is rapidly earning himself a reputation as a cheat and from what I have seen recently it is going to be deserved.

Sir David Gray
29-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Unfortunately O'Connor is now making a reputation for himself for this type of thing and after the incident against St Johnstone was highlighted by Ally McCoist, he's been given greater attention by the media.

I can't see him getting too many penalty decisions in his favour any time soon, it's only human nature that the referees will assume that he's taken a dive.

Geo_1875
29-12-2011, 03:16 PM
From where I was it looked like a dive, though I havnt seen the TV pictures.

Anyway, if G O'C keeps up his recent efforts at staying upright the way things are going his next transfer will be to the top of the Christmas tree in Princes Street, coz he's acting like a great big sodding fairy.

The guy is rapidly earning himself a reputation as a cheat and from what I have seen recently it is going to be deserved.

I have seen it on TV and it looks like a penalty to me. We keep hearing from pundits that players are entitled to go down if there is contact so I'll stick by Garry. And he doesn't have a reputatgion as a diver, you'll remember hes cleared. He has a name as the guy who was involved when the SFA made James Hunts of themselves again.

Dinkydoo
29-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Never a dive; watched it on alba last night.

The defenders thigh ends up clattering into Gary's ribs and no contact with the ball is made.

Unfortunately, until we move to using a 'video referee' in games then things like this will continue to happen.

Tricla
29-12-2011, 03:42 PM

What do you base your beliefs on?

He was booked (incorrectly) for diving.

He could have got up and said nothing and he'd still have been booked.

You were saying this on the match update thread too where you, and others, had strung him up for diving without even seeing the incident. :confused:

Tricla
29-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Why didn't he just get back up then, instead of waving his hands in the air like a kid who just dropped their ice cream?

If you get right back up and show that you had no deliberate intentions of going down, then you wont get booked.

He got booked for diving!

The ref points for a free kick and goes for his card before Gaz protests. Gaz protests at the decision.

Have you actually seen the incident?

Peevemor
29-12-2011, 03:52 PM
What do you base your beliefs on?

He was booked (incorrectly) for diving.

He could have got up and said nothing and he'd still have been booked.

You were saying this on the match update thread too where you, and others, had strung him up for diving without even seeing the incident. :confused:

The ref points for a free kick and goes for his card before Gaz protests. Gaz protests at the decision.

:agree:

Newcastlehibby
29-12-2011, 03:58 PM
A clear dive. I have just watched it several times and GOC's feet leave the ground before the ICT defender's leg goes across him. Eejit.

Eyrie
29-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Watching Alba there was definite contact and O'Connor made the most of it, throwing his arms up as he went down. Arguable that he could have stayed on his feet but most players do go down in that situation. The one thing he didn't do once he hit the deck was yell at the ref for a penalty, so the booking was an odd one.

I'm with those who say he's made a rod for his own back by having a reputation for going down too easily and that has cost him last night and us a suspension.

Tricla
29-12-2011, 05:26 PM
A clear dive. I have just watched it several times and GOC's feet leave the ground before the ICT defender's leg goes across him. Eejit.

You're in a minority here my friend.

Also, try running. Your feet tend to leave the ground during this activity. This might explain the position of Gaz's feet as he was contacted by the ICT player.

Peevemor
29-12-2011, 05:30 PM

Also, try running. Your feet tend to leave the ground during this activity. This might explain the position of Gaz's feet as he was contacted by the ICT player.

He was also put off balance by the challenge from the other defender as he entered the box. When he was being booked, you could see him telling the referee that he thought he was fouled twice.

Tricla
29-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Watching Alba there was definite contact and O'Connor made the most of it, throwing his arms up as he went down. Arguable that he could have stayed on his feet but most players do go down in that situation. The one thing he didn't do once he hit the deck was yell at the ref for a penalty, so the booking was an odd one.

I'm with those who say he's made a rod for his own back by having a reputation for going down too easily and that has cost him last night and us a suspension.

Have to disagree.

Fair do's he's gone down easily in the past but the referee should not make a decision based on anything other than what he sees during the match that he is officiating.

It's unfair to say that GOC has cost himself/us anything after last night.

If it wasn't for him we'd have lost and if it wasn't for a poor refereeing decision he wouldn't have been booked.

I can't understand why everyone (not necessarily yourself Eyrie) all of a sudden has it in for our top scorer? :confused:

Tricla
29-12-2011, 05:33 PM
He was also put off balance by the challenge from the other defender as he entered the box. When he was being booked, you could see him telling the referee that he thought he was fouled twice.

Newcastlehibby
29-12-2011, 07:04 PM

Try Running. Very amusing. I find that whilst running, one foot is either on or very close to the ground and I am not generally parallel to the ground. Try using your eyes without green tinted spectacles and watch what actually happened.

Eyrie
29-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Fair do's he's gone down easily in the past but the referee should not make a decision based on anything other than what he sees during the match that he is officiating.
I'm not saying there was a conscious desire to book O'Connor, but if a player has a bad repuation then there can be a subconscious influence on how the referee interprets the incident.

It's unfair to say that GOC has cost himself/us anything after last night.
The referee's wrong decision cost him a booking and us his services for one game.

I can't understand why everyone (not necessarily yourself Eyrie) all of a sudden has it in for our top scorer?
He's not on top form at the moment, disappears at times and is linked by himself with a move to the Huns. The sooner he improves his all round game and dismisses rumours of a move, the better. But he is still one of our better players right now, so I can't give him much flak.

Peevemor
29-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Try Running. Very amusing. I find that whilst running, one foot is either on or very close to the ground and I am not generally parallel to the ground. Try using your eyes without green tinted spectacles and watch what actually happened.

You either haven't seen the replay or you're simply on the wind up.

Hibercelona
29-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Yes I did.

And yes, I know there was contact, but fact of the matter is, he still didn't need to go down in the first place.

If he had just stayed on his feet instead of thinking "hmm, i'll try and push my luck again". He'd still be available to us for the derby.

He's already shown himself up as being a bit of a prat off the field, no need for him to do it on the field as well as this affects the whole team.

Kaiser1962
29-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Yes he is suspended

If he could have stayed on his feet but didnt, hows that not a dive?

I thought it was a penalty though.

Peevemor
29-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Yes I did.

And yes, I know there was contact, but fact of the matter is, he still didn't need to go down in the first place.

If he had just stayed on his feet instead of thinking "hmm, i'll try and push my luck again". He'd still be available to us for the derby.

He's already shown himself up as being a bit of a prat off the field, no need for him to do it on the field as well as this affects the whole team.

Fact my arse - that's your opinion, albeit incorrect.

Hibercelona
29-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Fact my arse - that's your opinion, albeit incorrect.

Well thanks for clarifying (in your opinion btw) why you think its incorrect. :na na:

Peevemor
29-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Well thanks for clarifying (in your opinion btw) why you think its incorrect. :na na:

So after these 2 challenges (neither Inverness player touched the ball), you say it was easier to stay on his feet? :crazy:

LancashireHibby
29-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Think I must have missed the incident when going to get a Bovril as I had no idea about it until I've just seen the highlights. Certainly wasn't a dive but it would have been a pretty harsh penalty had it been given.

Hibercelona
29-12-2011, 09:52 PM
So after these 2 challenges (neither Inverness player touched the ball), you say it was easier to stay on his feet? :crazy:

Yes, thats exactly what i'm saying. 4 pictures stills don't do the video justice. O'conner was already going down before the initial contact was even made.

Your stills also don't show how pathetically dramatic it looked.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/t540ac.jpg

Edit: I've also never seen both knees go up like that on a person who was forcefully tripped...

Dinkydoo
29-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Yes, thats exactly what i'm saying. 4 pictures stills don't do the video justice. O'conner was already going down before the initial contact was even made.

Your stills also don't show how pathetically dramatic it looked.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/t540ac.jpg

Edit: I've also never seen both knees go up like that on a person who was forcefully tripped...

Yours still doesn't show how he was going down before the tackle was made..............

And he wasn't tripped, the Caley players knee made contact with has thigh; the natural reaction is to try to get out of way.

Newcastlehibby
30-12-2011, 12:06 AM
You either haven't seen the replay or you're simply on the wind up.

You should've gone to Specsavers. If you had read my first post, you would have understood that I had watched the action several times before making my mind up. The footage from the side is inconclusive. The footage from behind the goal confirms simulation. I did the same with the St Johnstone incident when I first thought it was a dive but, after watching a lot of slow motion footage (a bit like the compliance officer I suspect), came to the conclusion he was genuinely tripped.

Peevemor
30-12-2011, 01:03 AM
You should've gone to Specsavers. If you had read my first post, you would have understood that I had watched the action several times before making my mind up. The footage from the side is inconclusive. The footage from behind the goal confirms simulation. I did the same with the St Johnstone incident when I first thought it was a dive but, after watching a lot of slow motion footage (a bit like the compliance officer I suspect), came to the conclusion he was genuinely tripped.

So you are on the wind up then.

Tricla
30-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Try Running. Very amusing. I find that whilst running, one foot is either on or very close to the ground and I am not generally parallel to the ground.

Well your not running fast enough then! :greengrin

Try using your eyes without green tinted spectacles and watch what actually happened.

I have done and I, like about 95% of others, am of the opinion that it wasn't a dive.

As I said, you're in the minority my friend.

Tricla
30-12-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm not saying there was a conscious desire to book O'Connor, but if a player has a bad repuation then there can be a subconscious influence on how the referee interprets the incident.

So what you're saying is that he's based his decision on what has happened prior to the game and not on what he saw at the time? Conscious or not, that is still wrong.

The referee's wrong decision cost him a booking and us his services for one game.

So as I said, GOC hasn't cost us/himself anything.

He's not on top form at the moment, disappears at times and is linked by himself with a move to the Huns. The sooner he improves his all round game and dismisses rumours of a move, the better. But he is still one of our better players right now, so I can't give him much flak.

None of the team is on top form at the moment. GOC is our top scorer and in amongst the top scorers in the league. Have I missed something? Where/when has he linked himself with Rangers?

SquashedFrogg
30-12-2011, 09:52 AM

I think you'll find your feet are parallel to the ground :agree:

Tricla
30-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Yes I did.

So now your synced with his thoughts!

It seems to me that you have a bee in your bonnet with GOC which is clouding your judgement.

Only you and maybe one or two others think he dived. Everyone else thinks he was unfairly booked.

Doesn't that tell you something?

The first bit in bold - you know there was contact? Indeed there was. From two different players. None of which touched the ball. Whether this causes the infringed player to fall or not is irrelevant.

It's still a foul.

Peevemor
30-12-2011, 10:17 AM

It seems to me that you have a bee in your bonnet with GOC which is clouding your judgement.

Only you and maybe one or two others think he dived. Everyone else thinks he was unfairly booked.

The first bit in bold - you know there was contact? Indeed there was. From two different players. None of which touched the ball. Whether this causes the infringed player to fall or not is irrelevant.

It's still a foul.

You're wasting your time. :rolleyes:

Tricla
30-12-2011, 10:43 AM
You're wasting your time. :rolleyes:

It certainly seems that way!

Andy74
30-12-2011, 11:05 AM

It's still a foul.

You can be fouled and still dive which I think is the point being made.

On the one he was cleared it was a foul but he didn't do himself any favours by making a meal of it. The other night he was chucking himself about all over the park.

He probably was fouled and it probably was a penalty but he also threw himself. When you do that you run the risk of getting booked instead of getting the penalty. From where I was all I could see was the extravagent fall and so it automatically looked like a dive as you don't fall that way naturally if you had been fouled.

Hibercelona
30-12-2011, 11:14 AM
You can be fouled and still dive which I think is the point being made.

On the one he was cleared it was a foul but he didn't do himself any favours by making a meal of it. The other night he was chucking himself about all over the park.

He probably was fouled and it probably was a penalty but he also threw himself. When you do that you run the risk of getting booked instead of getting the penalty. From where I was all I could see was the extravagent fall and so it automatically looked like a dive as you don't fall that way naturally if you had been fouled.

But you're wasting your time... :rolleyes: