PDA

View Full Version : Just Back - Thoughts on Tonight's game vs ICT

The Voice Of Reason
28-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Only one positive - O'Connor's free kick. That's it though!

Yes conditions were poor, but the fayre on offer from Hibs really was abysmal. I think this is the worst team I have ever watched. :boo hoo:

Our midfield was Sproule on the right (anonymous,) Galbraith on the left (only slightly better than Sproule tonight) and Towell and Stevenson in the middle (yes, Towell and Stevenson in the middle!) I am sorry, but IMHO we will not beat any other SPL team with that midfield. :fuming:

I have said in other posts that the midfield is an even bigger problem than our defence, which is saying somethig because defensively we are awful! :shocked:

If Hearts fail to beat us on the 2nd I will be amazed. It is not a case of if they will beat us, more how many they will beat us by. :boo hoo:

Can anyone who was at the game tonight think of any other positives ? (apart from the fact we didn't actually concede a 2nd and lose the game!)

hibsbollah
28-12-2011, 09:50 PM
We got a point, which could keep us in the SPL.

SneakersO'Toole
28-12-2011, 09:52 PM
We don't create chances and nearly almost concede every game.

Relegation beckons unless there is a change and fast.

down-the-slope
28-12-2011, 09:53 PM

Yes conditions were poor, but the fayre on offer from Hibs really was abysmal. I think this is the worst team I have ever watched. :boo hoo:

Our midfield was Sproule on the right (anonymous,) Galbraith on the left (only slightly better than Sproule tonight) and Towell and Stevenson in the middle (yes, Towell and Stevenson in the middle!) I am sorry, but IMHO we will not beat any other SPL team with that midfield. :fuming:

I have said in other posts that the midfield is an even bigger problem than our defence, which is saying somethig because defensively we are awful! :shocked:

If Hearts fail to beat us on the 2nd I will be amazed. It is not a case of if they will beat us, more how many they will beat us by. :boo hoo:

Can anyone who was at the game tonight think of any other positives ? (apart from the fact we didn't actually concede a 2nd and lose the game!)

:rolleyes: Booth getting back on the pitch (although with out reserve league is way short of match sharpness) Several players probably sealed their exit ticket with those performances and......Nah thats its it:boo hoo:

edwards
28-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Fingers and toes crossed they chose tonight to put in one of the worst performance in the history of hibernian football club and will serve up a world cup performance against the yams. :rolleyes:

Pedantic_Hibee
28-12-2011, 09:58 PM

Stevenson was outstanding, Stephens is quite happy to have a ball at his feet and O'Hanlon (unlike the rest of the team) doesnae give the opponent he's marking time to think about controlling the ball before ploughing right through him, the rest are predominantly happy to see what their opponent is going to do before having a think about chasing him and putting a foot in.

Good to see Booth back in the team as well which is a positive and although he wasn't marauding by any means, he's another defensive minded player who is comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Negatives; Wotherspoon sat off Tade far too much (see my point about O'Hanlon), Stack gets a nosebleed thinking about leaving his 6 yard box, Sproule was ineffective, O'Connor is never a target man and worst of all, Danny f****ng Galbraith..........I hate to get on a player's back but a good few times my frustrations got the better of me, mostly for ducking out of a 50/50 when he should have went through the ball. I'm built like a racing snake but whenever I had a 50/50 I went through it like a train and took it as an insult if I lost out. Despicable to dangle a toe in for fear of injury, there's actually more chance of you picking up a serious injury by going in half-ersed as opposed to throwing your full weight behind it; wee Stevenson battered into his challenges like his life depended on it.

Gatecrasher
28-12-2011, 10:01 PM
i thought we weren't too bad tonight, i thought we stayed competitive as well which was something we have been lacking. I would like to see us create more chances though and GOC is one lazy bugger :agree:

Sir David Gray
28-12-2011, 10:02 PM
The one positive was that we got a point and put an end to a run of four consecutive defeats.

That's about it though.

We didn't do nearly enough to win that game tonight and we hardly created a single chance after we scored, until the brief pressure we put on them in injury time. A draw was probably a fair result as Inverness didn't do too much either but we'll have to do a lot more, especially at home, if we're going to pull away from relegation trouble.

Billy Whizz
28-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Stevenson was outstanding, Stephens is quite happy to have a ball at his feet and O'Hanlon (unlike the rest of the team) doesnae give the opponent he's marking time to think about controlling the ball before ploughing right through him, the rest are predominantly happy to see what their opponent is going to do before having a think about chasing him and putting a foot in.

Good to see Booth back in the team as well which is a positive and although he wasn't marauding by any means, he's another defensive minded player who is comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Negatives; Wotherspoon sat off Tade far too much (see my point about O'Hanlon), Stack gets a nosebleed thinking about leaving his 6 yard box, Sproule was ineffective, O'Connor is never a target man and worst of all, Danny f****ng Galbraith..........I hate to get on a player's back but a good few times my frustrations got the better of me, mostly for ducking out of a 50/50 when he should have went through the ball. I'm built like a racing snake but whenever I had a 50/50 I went through it like a train and took it as an insult if I lost out. Despicable to dangle a toe in for fear of injury, there's actually more chance of you picking up a serious injury by going in half-ersed as opposed to throwing your full weight behind it; wee Stevenson battered into his challenges like his life depended on it.

Agee with your comments on Galbraith, but to say Stevenson was outstanding is ridiculous. He worked hard and put in a few tackles, but that's about all. This is one of the worst Hibs teams in modern times.

hibee_girl
28-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Stevenson had another MOM performance

NOLA
28-12-2011, 10:06 PM
watching it now and id rather have johnny hayes than ivan, just saying :wink: aside from the excellent free kick, inverness look more composed and play as a team, we seem to play as a bunch of individuals:rolleyes:

The Voice Of Reason
28-12-2011, 10:10 PM
I see that Stevenson is dividing opinion. Yes, he tried hard and did keep looking for the ball. But to say he was "outstanding" and "Man of the match" really does show how bad (and desperate!) we have become (IMHO!)

The fact that he is playing Centre Mid alongside "Tubby Towell" really does sum up exactly why we are in the position we are in !

Midfield needs to be Fenlons top priority (and that is saying something given how bad we are defensively and up front!) :shocked:

sleeping giant
28-12-2011, 10:11 PM

Our best player by far.

We are rank rotten though. Eye bleedingly awful !

How Sproule stayed on the pitch for so long mystifies me:confused:

I also didn't think Stevens was as bad are some are making out.

I am dreading the hearts game. We are total garbage .

sleeping giant
28-12-2011, 10:12 PM
I see that Stevenson is dividing opinion. Yes, he tried hard and did keep looking for the ball. But to say he was "outstanding" and "Man of the match" really does show how bad (and desperate!) we have become (IMHO!)

The fact that he is playing Centre Mid alongside "Tubby Towell" really does sum up exactly why we are in the position we are in !

Midfield needs to be Fenlons top priority (and that is saying something given how bad we are defensively and up front!) :shocked:

Who was better than Stevenson in the Hibs team tonight ?

PISTOL1875

Stack gets a nosebleed leaving his line , let alone his 6 yard box..

down-the-slope
Foran / Hayes / Tade and their No.22 playing CH would all walk into our team.......can't think that Butcher is eyeing any of ours other than Lewis.....not on tonights match anyhow

PS...remember all the threads when it was mooted that we were interested in Tade when with Raith stating mostly how poor he was / never make an SPL player / Too slow etc....:rolleyes:

PISTOL1875
28-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Our best player by far.

We are rank rotten though. Eye bleedingly awful !

How Sproule stayed on the pitch for so long mystifies me:confused:

I also didn't think Stevens was as bad are some are making out.

I am dreading the hearts game. We are total garbage .

How even Sproule gets on the pitch is beyond me ???

Holmesdale Hibs
28-12-2011, 10:13 PM
We were poor tonight. Can't remember us creating a single chance and our only shot on goal was from a set piece. No creativity in midfield at all against a very average Inverness team. The wind didn't help but we still have to do better.

Positives: I thought O'Hanlon looked good. Stevenson also played well.

down-the-slope
28-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Me Me Me....just remembered...we took 3 good corners in a row in injury time

Monts
28-12-2011, 10:16 PM
We have started an unbeaten run.

The Voice Of Reason
28-12-2011, 10:23 PM

In my player ratings (see "player ratings" thread) I gave Stevenson our joint top mark (of 6) ! :cool2:

You have clearly missed my point though. The fact that the laddie is playing centre mid really does sum up how bad we are. Does he have the required pace, drive, power or creativity ?!?!? I think not.

Him and Towell playing centre mid really sums up the state we are in.

We are an awful team. :grr::boo hoo:

Sergeant Hibs
28-12-2011, 10:24 PM
How even Sproule gets on the pitch is beyond me ???

Who would you play instead

Baldy Foghorn
28-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Foran / Hayes / Tade and their No.22 playing CH would all walk into our team.......can't think that Butcher is eyeing any of ours other than Lewis.....not on tonights match anyhow

PS...remember all the threads when it was mooted that we were interested in Tade when with Raith stating mostly how poor he was / never make an SPL player / Too slow etc....:rolleyes:

Tade wasted a number of great opportunities, which is great, because if he had played better final balls we might have been beaten......

Baldy Foghorn
28-12-2011, 10:28 PM

If Sproule and Galbraith are wingers, then I am the Pope....... Couple of imposters IMO

silverhibee
28-12-2011, 10:29 PM
i thought we weren't too bad tonight, i thought we stayed competitive as well which was something we have been lacking. I would like to see us create more chances though and GOC is one lazy bugger :agree:

Playing with a broken toe, but dont know if that lets him of the hook.

GreenCastle
28-12-2011, 10:29 PM
SPL is a joke and would any fan seriously enjoy what was on show tonight ? Kids for the future ? Value for money ??!

We are so unfit - 2nd to many things and even the subs looked unfit ?!!

Stack - nothing new - doesn't like high balls or crosses

Stevenson - Best player for Hibs

Wotherspoon - not a defender

Stevens and O'Hanlon - sometimes their postioning was laughable

Booth - good to see him back - but not best game

Towel - not a centre midfielder

Sproule and Galbraith - not good enough again - Galbraith not good enough for even bench

LG - never heads the ball - lacking confidence and made many bad decisions

GOC - good goal - but didn't do much else - so unfit also and stop diving!! Captain but won't be dropped / should have been subbed for Sodje.

Throw in's - just the 2 which straight out this evening still terrible.

Don't get me started on the goal where the ICT player ran from the half way line without a challenge and passed it into the net :rolleyes:

Dreading the derby - we seriously need tougher fitter players who want to battle for this club - we simply aren't good enough and 11th is the best we are going to be this season if lucky.

Benny Brazil
28-12-2011, 10:32 PM
We were poor tonight. Can't remember us creating a single chance and our only shot on goal was from a set piece. No creativity in midfield at all against a very average Inverness team. The wind didn't help but we still have to do better.

Positives: I thought O'Hanlon looked good. Stevenson also played well.

Really?
I thought he was poor - for a guy his size he gets bullied to easily. Stephens makes mistakes but I think there is a player there and with the right partner beside him could be good.
Sproule - cant remember a single thing he did all game. Waste of a jersey.
Galbraith - one moment when he beat his man in the 2nd half and put a cross in - apart from that rubbish.
Midfield - do they know how to tackle? Lewis tried hard but we need better than him I'm afraid.
O Connor and Griffiths are really poor.

If we dont sign some quality in Jan then we need to hope that Dunfermilne dont improve.

Baldy Foghorn
28-12-2011, 10:35 PM
SPL is a joke and would any fan seriously enjoy what was on show tonight ? Kids for the future ? Value for money ??!

We are so unfit - 2nd to many things and even the subs looked unfit ?!!

Stack - nothing new - doesn't like high balls or crosses

Stevenson - Best player for Hibs

Wotherspoon - not a defender

Stevens and O'Hanlon - sometimes their postioning was laughable

Booth - good to see him back - but not best game

Towel - not a centre midfielder

Sproule and Galbraith - not good enough again - Galbraith not good enough for even bench

LG - never heads the ball - lacking confidence and made many bad decisions

GOC - good goal - but didn't do much else - so unfit also and stop diving!! Captain but won't be dropped / should have been subbed for Sodje.

Throw in's - just the 2 which straight out this evening still terrible.

Don't get me started on the goal where the ICT player ran from the half way line without a challenge and passed it into the net :rolleyes:

Dreading the derby - we seriously need tougher fitter players who want to battle for this club - we simply aren't good enough and 11th is the best we are going to be this season if lucky.

Agree with all of the above

down the slope
28-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Thought O'Hanlon had his best game for us but the difference in the teams was that they had players playing in their proper positions, we had a midfielder playing right back which they exploited throughout the game . It is obvious that there is a lack of quality in many areas and once again our midfield were second to quite a lot of balls just because we were not physically up to the challenge , i thought we worked hard but it would seem the confidence is shot as we are reluctant to try to pass out of defence and we resort to hoofing it as it is the safer option . Bad days ahead unless we replace a few .

nortonhibby
28-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Agree with all of the above

was there a decent crowd ?

ballengeich
28-12-2011, 10:41 PM
was there a decent crowd ?

No. They were a miserable bunch who only came to discourage Hibs by continual abuse.

Gala Foxes
28-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Hayes ran from his own half, unchallenged, and scored
Sums it up
danced past 5 Hibs players

The Voice Of Reason
28-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Sums it up

To give Hayes credit, it was a brilliant goal.

We do not have anyone who could do that in our team ! Sad but true. :boo hoo:

The Voice Of Reason
28-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Thought O'Hanlon had his best game for us but the difference in the teams was that they had players playing in their proper positions, we had a midfielder playing right back which they exploited throughout the game . It is obvious that there is a lack of quality in many areas and once again our midfield were second to quite a lot of balls just because we were not physically up to the challenge , i thought we worked hard but it would seem the confidence is shot as we are reluctant to try to pass out of defence and we resort to hoofing it as it is the safer option . Bad days ahead unless we replace a few .

Indeed. :agree: :top marks

scoopyboy
28-12-2011, 10:44 PM

Probably no one, Lewis over the last month or so has done fine compared to others on show.

However I have to say he won't win matches for us, he doesn't provide assists, doesn't score goals, defence splitting passes, etc.

Nothing against Lewis whatsoever (he is a hard working genuine guy) but if he gets MOM awards week in week out we are in deep s***.

Steve-O
28-12-2011, 10:45 PM
First game i have watched in a year and not surprised to see we have even gone backwards from last year!

We looked slower than ICT in every position on the park and seemed much less fit than them. The reality is they should have stuck at least 3 past us tonight and we were lucky to get the draw.

OConnor is a lazy waste of space. If he is captain then it is no wonder the rest of the team appear not to care.

Griffiths is like a headless chicken and doesnt appear to ever achieve anything.

Towell looks like Stephen Dobbie when he was about three stone overweight. Crap.

Sproule is sadly finished, waste of space.

We also need a right back, Wotherspoon was a total nigtmare tonight and Tade was on his own virtually the whole game.

Galbraith is just not good enough.

Stack seems dodgy at best.

Those who I havent mentioned above get pass marks.

Tough times ahead and when i return to NZ next week I can tell you I wont be worried about missing any Hibs games while they are turning in performances like that.

scuttle
28-12-2011, 10:46 PM
To give Hayes credit, it was a brilliant goal.

We do not have anyone who could do that in our team ! Sad but true. :boo hoo:
If Oconnor had stayed on his feet instead of diving to give them possesion then the guy wouldnt have been able to go on that run

The Voice Of Reason
28-12-2011, 10:47 PM
If Oconnor had stayed on his feet instead of diving to give them possesion then the guy wouldnt have been able to go on that run

Correct :agree:

The Voice Of Reason
28-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Probably no one, Lewis over the last month or so has done fine compared to others on show.

However I have to say he won't win matches for us, he doesn't provide assists, doesn't score goals, defence splitting passes, etc.

Nothing against Lewis whatsoever (he is a hard working genuine guy) but if he gets MOM awards week in week out we are in deep s***.

Absoloutely spot on Scoopy (see my comments in post number 21 in this thread). :agree:

We are in big trouble! :worried::worried::worried:

hibsbollah
28-12-2011, 10:50 PM

He doesnt do those things because its not his job to do those things.

scoopyboy
28-12-2011, 10:52 PM

ok, define his job then.

The Voice Of Reason
28-12-2011, 10:55 PM

Eh ?!?!? You are saying it is not his job to provide assists, score goals or provide defence splitting passes ! :crazy:

What is his job then ?

Reminder - he was playing centre Mid tonight !!!!!

LancashireHibby
28-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Very poor game featuring two poor sides. Not confident about Monday in the slightest.

The Voice Of Reason
28-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Very poor game featuring two poor sides. Not confident about Monday in the slightest.

Congratulations - you have won the "Understatement of the Year" award with that one !!!!! :greengrin

hibsbollah
28-12-2011, 11:06 PM
ok, define his job then.

He's playing in front of the back four, his job is to protect them, harry and harrass the opponents when they get close to the penalty area and not move too far away from his designated area. Its not a traditional midfielder. Most modern sides have a player like that, Makelele being the archetype.

Look further up the pitch (Griffiths, Ivan, Galbraith) if you want to point fingers about why we're not creating chances.

PatHead
Positives to take from tonight

We got a point and got off the bottom of the league

We were the better team in the second half

We finished the stronger side

O'Hanlon had his best game in a Hibs jersey

Yes. there were loads of negatives particularly in the first half but at least the losing streak is over.

Sir David Gray
First game i have watched in a year and not surprised to see we have even gone backwards from last year!

We looked slower than ICT in every position on the park and seemed much less fit than them. The reality is they should have stuck at least 3 past us tonight and we were lucky to get the draw.

OConnor is a lazy waste of space. If he is captain then it is no wonder the rest of the team appear not to care.

Griffiths is like a headless chicken and doesnt appear to ever achieve anything.

Towell looks like Stephen Dobbie when he was about three stone overweight. Crap.

Sproule is sadly finished, waste of space.

We also need a right back, Wotherspoon was a total nigtmare tonight and Tade was on his own virtually the whole game.

Galbraith is just not good enough.

Stack seems dodgy at best.

Those who I havent mentioned above get pass marks.

Tough times ahead and when i return to NZ next week I can tell you I wont be worried about missing any Hibs games while they are turning in performances like that.

Lucky you.

Any space in your suitcase?

lucky
28-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Team worked hard except GOC, Towel and Galbraith. The lack of quality is frightening. Lewis was our best player again. He is the only one capable of passing to a Hibs player. GoC workrate is shocking and his diving is embarrassing. He lost the ball that led to their goal. Towell does absolutely nothing punt him back to Celtic ASAP. Galbraith could be a player but had the heart of a chicken.

AFKA5814_Hibs
28-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Hibs were ****in woeful, cannot take any positives out of the game, ICT were the better team. Apart from our goal, what was our other attempt on target? The heider in the last minute? Not good enough, not by a long shot.

Judas Iscariot
28-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Sums it up

Those 5 players surely can't contain our new wonderkid saviour Stevenson?!?

Oh aye it did!

If LS is our best player then we may as well get ready for the 1st division now cos guys of his pish poor standard will only take us there...

Deary me

The Voice Of Reason
28-12-2011, 11:25 PM

Oh aye it did!

If LS is our best player then we may as well get ready for the 1st division now cos guys of his pish poor standard will only take us there...

Deary me

Exactly :agree:

I have made that point a couple of times already. We really are in deep trouble with Stevenson and Towell playing Centre Mid ! :fuming:

lucky
28-12-2011, 11:37 PM
So Stevenson is now getting stick for being our best player! If the others put the same effort in then we would not be in the ****.

BEEJ
28-12-2011, 11:46 PM
So Stevenson is now getting stick for being our best player! If the others put the same effort in then we would not be in the ****.
It's amazing, isn't it. :greengrin

Apparently he didn't score, set up any chances or go on any mazy runs from his defensive midfield role. Cue assassination from the terraces.

matty_f
28-12-2011, 11:46 PM
I'll defend Lewis here, I thought he did his job well. He's been given a defensive mandate and he's sticking to the role well. He (and the team) need other, better players doing their roles well if we want to push on though.

We lack basic quality. Easy passes are misplaced too often, bad decisions made, tackles not made, fundamental control is lacking at times, players (yes, this means you David Wotherspoon) taking fresh air swipes at a slow moving ball, passes straight out the park, a lack of desire to get on the end of the very, very few crosses played into the box, going backwards when there are better options going forward - even playing ourselves into trouble in the process, so it's not even like it's the easy option.

Danny Galbraith, Ivan Sproule, Leigh Griffiths, Garry O'Connor, David Wotherspoon, Richie Towell... none of them on tonight's showing are worth a place in the first 11 of Hibernian Football Club. Probably not even in the second or third 11.

I remarked to the guys behind me today that when Mowbray was in charge we used to pish ourselves laughing at teams that had full backs who punted the ball aimlessly up the line in the hope that the forward might be roughly in the vicinity of where it lands, and thought it was crazy that folk would pay to watch it week in/week out. That's us now.

silverhibee
28-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Tade wasted a number of great opportunities, which is great, because if he had played better final balls we might have been beaten......

Tade had a nightmare tonight, if he was on form we would have lost that game.

lucky
28-12-2011, 11:48 PM

Oh aye it did!

Deary me

I think you'll find it was Towell that missed the tackle not LS but don't let the truth get in the way of your fact

Deary me

erin go bragh
28-12-2011, 11:50 PM

Booth , thats all .

ggtth

erin go bragh
28-12-2011, 11:56 PM

No disrespect to Stevenson , but if he is our best midfielder, we are well and truly donald ducked , plenty of effort but no skill and not good enough for a club like hibernan .

ggtth

The Green Goblin
29-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Booth , thats all .

ggtth

Agree with that 100%.

GreenCastle
29-12-2011, 11:05 AM
The worrying thing for me is the basics which you would expect of a professional team we aren't seeing.

1 - fitness - never seen such an unfit Hibs team

2 - 1st touch - several times it put us into difficulty

3 - Throw ins - still terrible - been a problem for many seasons

4 - Heart / Bottle / Grit / Determination / Courage - all lacking and several challenges last night players didn't fancy it - we were pushed off the ball several times - East Mains has a gym - do we need have these players on strength and conditioning programs?

5 - Being able to dribble - the least you expect from a winger..get the ball get faced up 1v1 and be brave - we rarely go past players to put a cross in / cause unbalance.

6 - Defending - 1v1 - Ball and goal side. We often give other teams so much space - especially in wide areas - (Sproule) to allow the opposition to get a cross in. Lack of fitness?

I have seen several Saturday / Sunday teams doing the basics better and I can see why many fans turn their back on the team - they quality is just not there.

Needs to improve soon!! :agree:

Shrekko
29-12-2011, 01:30 PM

Who's job in central midfield is it to do those things?

According to you, Lewis is much more than a John Rankin type (although he looked better than any of our midfield last week) and capable of all sorts of special things.

There is definitely an element of truth in the theory that Lewis shouldnt be getting shot at for doing what he does. The problem here is that we've had words like 'outstanding', 'MOM', '8/10', and other, more sane, fans are asking what the fuss is about.

If 5 or 6/10 performances that involving a few tackles, a few square balls and of course '100%' are the best we can hope for we are well and truly shafted and that is a fact.

Conan Doyle
29-12-2011, 01:36 PM

According to you, Lewis is much more than a John Rankin type (although he looked better than any of our midfield last week) and capable of all sorts of special things.

There is definitely an element of truth in the theory that Lewis shouldnt be getting shot at for doing what he does. The problem here is that we've had words like 'outstanding', 'MOM', '8/10', and other, more sane, fans are asking what the fuss is about.

If 5 or 6/10 performances that involving a few tackles, a few square balls and of course '100%' are the best we can hope for we are well and truly shafted and that is a fact.

We need Rodell Vereen.

Andy74
29-12-2011, 01:37 PM
We need Rodell Vereen.

I'll give you about half an hour.

Conan Doyle
29-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I'll give you about half an hour.

What?

NAE NOOKIE
29-12-2011, 02:27 PM
I'll defend Lewis here, I thought he did his job well. He's been given a defensive mandate and he's sticking to the role well. He (and the team) need other, better players doing their roles well if we want to push on though.

We lack basic quality. Easy passes are misplaced too often, bad decisions made, tackles not made, fundamental control is lacking at times, players (yes, this means you David Wotherspoon) taking fresh air swipes at a slow moving ball, passes straight out the park, a lack of desire to get on the end of the very, very few crosses played into the box, going backwards when there are better options going forward - even playing ourselves into trouble in the process, so it's not even like it's the easy option.

Danny Galbraith, Ivan Sproule, Leigh Griffiths, Garry O'Connor, David Wotherspoon, Richie Towell... none of them on tonight's showing are worth a place in the first 11 of Hibernian Football Club. Probably not even in the second or third 11.

I remarked to the guys behind me today that when Mowbray was in charge we used to pish ourselves laughing at teams that had full backs who punted the ball aimlessly up the line in the hope that the forward might be roughly in the vicinity of where it lands, and thought it was crazy that folk would pay to watch it week in/week out. That's us now.

This sums up perfectly everything wrong with Hibs in the last two years.

I feel sorry for wee Lewis, coz what he lacks in ability he makes up for by having the heart of a Lion and a fantastic attitude, if only some other players in the team were like that ................. Gary.

Its sad to say that if ICT had been more composed up front last night we would have lost at least 1 - 3

And yes ..... as has happened time after time over the last 2 seasons, when we did manage a cross into the box the forwards and midfielders were bloody MILES behind the play.

hibsbollah
29-12-2011, 02:29 PM

I never said he was outstanding or anything like it. I gave him 6/10, he wasnt as good yesterday as he has been in the last 5 or 6 weeks.

My problem with a lot of the debate about the midfield is some folk dont seem to understand that not all midfielders have the same jobs. Did you expect the same from Latapy as you do from Matty Jack? Lewis is being deployed in the same way as De Jong at City or Makelele used to be at Chelsea. (and no, theyre not comparable ability wise before anyone starts). Its a good use of resources, as long as we get at least one creative attacking midfielder signed which we've been crying out for since Zemmama left.

Frankly, anyone criticising Lewis for not making assists, scoring goals or levitating 10 feet above the pitch is an idiot. You may as well criticise O'Connor for his goalkeeping.

Shrekko
29-12-2011, 02:48 PM
I never said he was outstanding or anything like it. I gave him 6/10, he wasnt as good yesterday as he has been in the last 5 or 6 weeks.

My problem with a lot of the debate about the midfield is some folk dont seem to understand that not all midfielders have the same jobs. Did you expect the same from Latapy as you do from Matty Jack? Lewis is being deployed in the same way as De Jong at City or Makelele used to be at Chelsea. (and no, theyre not comparable ability wise before anyone starts). Its a good use of resources, as long as we get at least one creative attacking midfielder signed which we've been crying out for since Zemmama left.

Frankly, anyone criticising Lewis for not making assists, scoring goals or levitating 10 feet above the pitch is an idiot. You may as well criticise O'Connor for his goalkeeping.

Not all midfielders have the same jobs, but all the midfielders at Hibs are more or less the same type of player. When Osbourne is fit he is by far our best midfielder but he performs a very similar role to LS. I assume it wasnt Towell's job to get forward or try to create last night either? I'm also pretty confident that Martin Scott could, if asked, just sit in front of the defence, make tackles and play square balls around.

The point I'm making is we need SOMEONE to create or at least make runs off the strikers or try to get behind the opposition defence. We can get any limited footballer to play the Makalele role in the SPL reasonably well- I want us to be waxing lyrical about players good enough to make things happen as opposed to throwing OTT plaudits at 'water-carriers' doing simple things reasonably well but having no impact on the game.

ICT bossed the game in the middle of the park. Had players streaming through midfield when they were going forward- players taking our players on with pace. Our lot as a unit were nothing short of pathetic. O'Connor and Griffth's were utterly dismal when having the ball played up to them but even when they could control the spherical thing they had no options whatsoever.

Bishop Hibee
29-12-2011, 03:02 PM
First half we were awful bar the free kick and ICT were ok without threatening our goal bar one moment of excellence aided by a non-existent midfield.

Second half we were marginally better and ICT were rotten. No quality except for the goals.

I thought the fans who bothered to turn up were good. Urging Hibs on and cheering any crumb of good play.

Newry Hibs
29-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Watched the match on ALBA without knowing the score - so I was a bit 'excited' and probably not watching that objectively. Thought Stephens had a good match. Agree Stevenson did well. Shame he's getting a bit of a slagging about any MoM - It's not ideal if he is MoM but it's all relative and yes quite worrying that he can be MoM, no one else really qualifies. When ALBA put the team up tonight, they list it in numerical order and then do a formation - and I thought they had it wrong with Towell in midfield and Wotherspoon in defence.

A very worrying thought (among many others) was about 5 minutes into the 2nd half and Stack had just got another pass back and really didn't know what to do or have any options. As my 11 year old said 'that's just after a big team talk from the manager for 15 minutes after a poor first half'.

Also the subs made meant we had about 6 midfielders on and still couldn't control a game in the centre.

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Since the game against the huns, Stevenson has had a much better return of form than anyone in the side. Now i'm not his greatest fan, i have said before he needed to play better to earn a place in the side.

He now IS playing better, and in the team on merit. Its not his fault the team are sheite, its not his fault he's being picked.

If he could keep this kind of form up if and when we have better players, then its great for him and us. Although he will have to keep this form up for a lot longer imo, before i personally think we dont need better for the long term.

sparkiedelpaco7
29-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Stack - 6
Spoony - 5
Stephens - 6
O'Hanlon - 3
Booth - 6
Sproule - 4
Stevenson - 2
Towell - 2
Galbraith - 5
O'Connor - 4
Griffiths - 4

Eyrie
29-12-2011, 04:12 PM
When ALBA put the team up tonight, they list it in numerical order and then do a formation - and I thought they had it wrong with Towell in midfield and Wotherspoon in defence.

Sadly that was Fenlon, although it says it all if Wotherspoon is our alternative to Hart at RB. He has no positional sense at all. There's still time for Wotherspoon to get his career back on track, but it involves being played in midfield.

scoopyboy
29-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Don't expect him to levitate but equally I don't think I'm an idiot.

Your point about O'Connor and goalkeeping however is worthy of an idiot.

Since you know much more than me can you enlighten me if Lewis has played all his 100+games for Hibs in this position you describe as exempt from scoring, setting up goals, etc.

BEEJ
29-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Since you know much more than me can you enlighten me if Lewis has played all his 100+games for Hibs in this position you describe as exempt from scoring, setting up goals, etc.
You're shifting the basis of the debate there, aren't you?

The thread title relates to last night's game. Which moved to a discussion on how 'appalling' that a player of Lewis Stevenson's calibre could be considered as MoM. There was then consideration of his recent half dozen or so first team appearances when he has improved considerably in terms of his own performance levels and so has been (whether we like it or not) consistently one of our better players.

Now you want to shift the debate to the player's career record? Why?

He is clearly not every supporter's ideal squad member and if we had an embarrassment of riches in the squad just now he would be one of the first in the queue for the exit door next month. As it is Stevenson is one of the least of our worries at the moment.

marleyhib
29-12-2011, 09:56 PM
I dragged myself along as I have a season ticket. Thought we were as p**h as usual and barely merited a draw.

We have no midfield, no-one with any composure in the middle of the park. Everything goes wide and Sproule (who should be canned) and Galbraith (who needs to grow a pair) were useless.

Any opposing team who sees a team sheet with a midfield of Sproule, Stevenson, Towell and Galbraith must think the game is in the bag before they start.

Stevenson tries hard and I thought Stephens did OK though he should have done better for their goal - though so should the other 7 Hibs players Hayes sauntered past.

We desperately need a CM, RB and a CH - can't see that being easy in January.

Quite scary that we don't have one decent player at Easter Road at the moment, if I didn't have a ST I wouldn't be paying money to watch Hibs at the moment.

scoopyboy
30-12-2011, 12:25 AM
You're shifting the basis of the debate there, aren't you?

The thread title relates to last night's game. Which moved to a discussion on how 'appalling' that a player of Lewis Stevenson's calibre could be considered as MoM. There was then consideration of his recent half dozen or so first team appearances when he has improved considerably in terms of his own performance levels and so has been (whether we like it or not) consistently one of our better players.

Now you want to shift the debate to the player's career record? Why?

He is clearly not every supporter's ideal squad member and if we had an embarrassment of riches in the squad just now he would be one of the first in the queue for the exit door next month. As it is Stevenson is one of the least of our worries at the moment.

A wee bit unfair just to highlight the last line of that post BEEJ, it was a reply to a post to Hibsbollah which was a progression on what was being discussed.

Since when on this site were we not allowed to develop a thread?

I did comment originally on last night's game and stated as well as last night Lewis has played well recently, it was a comment designed to show that I'm not blinkered in going OTT whether it be good or bad performance on a single game.

I have also stated and see no reason to change my view on the subject that if Lewis gets MOM every week then we are in trouble. Virtually everyone agrees that what he has done recently he has done well but nothing in terms of scoring comes from his play. I would want my MOM on a regular basis to be goalscorers or guys who are turning matches for us.

That's not to say that the goalie or centre half or defensive midfielder shouldn't get MOM.

Lewis has done nothing wrong at all recently and hopefully under PF he can progress on a Hibs career that has stalled badly IMO. He is hard working in training and on the pitch, attributes that I wish all Hibs players in recent years showed.

My reference to his career record was in reply to Hibsbollah who stated it wasn't his job to make chances, score goals etc. I can agree with that statement to a certain extent but was trying to point out that Lewis hasn't always been used in that role in his appearances for the club.

BEEJ
30-12-2011, 12:17 PM
I have also stated and see no reason to change my view on the subject that if Lewis gets MOM every week then we are in trouble. Virtually everyone agrees that what he has done recently he has done well but nothing in terms of scoring comes from his play. I would want my MOM on a regular basis to be goalscorers or guys who are turning matches for us.

That's not to say that the goalie or centre half or defensive midfielder shouldn't get MOM.

Lewis has done nothing wrong at all recently and hopefully under PF he can progress on a Hibs career that has stalled badly IMO. He is hard working in training and on the pitch, attributes that I wish all Hibs players in recent years showed.

My reference to his career record was in reply to Hibsbollah who stated it wasn't his job to make chances, score goals etc. I can agree with that statement to a certain extent but was trying to point out that Lewis hasn't always been used in that role in his appearances for the club.
Fair enough. :aok:

weonlywon6-2
30-12-2011, 01:04 PM

hearst according to people i spoke with were rotten at aberdeen and didnt have a shot at goal during the game.

yes we are shocking but we are not playing barcelona on monday

basehibby
30-12-2011, 01:35 PM
If you're looking for positives then compared to a month ago vs Killie (last game I went to - been very busy!) there is a much more solid look about the team generally and in particular in defence. Players look as if they know what they are meant to be doing in their positions and are consequently working harder at it rather than just standing about looking non-plussed - this is a definite improvement IMO.
Lewis Stevenson continues to play well and there were a few more like Stevens and Wotherspoon who had decent games. Great to see Booth back as well - he didn't have a great game but his ability with the ball is still markedly better than most of his teammates.

On the downside, save a moment of brilliance from O'Connor, none of our attacking players had games to remember. Ball retention was very poor and too often the wrong options were taken - Leigh Griffiths did himself no favours at all if he wants to win an extension at ER.