PDA

View Full Version : Give Youth a Chance

JustSimplyHibs
27-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Pat Fenlon in the Evening News willing to give youth a chance.

Think the time is right to push the youngster's that are ready into first team action, been doing well at U19 level and conssistantly should be rewarded.

As long as they aint thrown into the deep end and relied upon.

PISTOL1875
27-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Pat Fenlon in the Evening News willing to give youth a chance.

Think the time is right to push the youngster's that are ready into first team action, been doing well at U19 level and conssistantly should be rewarded.

As long as they aint thrown into the deep end and relied upon.

If I was a youngster at ER just now , there is no chance I would want to play in this team.. Would anybody wanna seriously play with the current bunch of no-hopers and drag there career into the gutter ??

No thanks...

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Last time around it was a financial requirement to play the youngsters and it was the making of them. Fenlon won't have the dosh to make huge changes in the window, so it may be the only option. If I was a youngster at ER just now, I would be looking at some of the first team squad and think I can do better than that.

BEEJ
27-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Despite the club's current predicament, I hope the support give these kids some space to develop into first team regulars.

We're not renowned for our patience.

ancient hibee
27-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Get the under 19s in -someone new for the supporters -"I've paid my money so I'm entitled"-to boo.

PISTOL1875
27-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Despite the club's current predicament, I hope the support give these kids some space to develop into first team regulars.

We're not renowned for our patience.

Can you just imagine a 19 year old making his debut and giving the ball away ??

The outcry from the stands would be awful.......

Spike Mandela
27-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Introduction of youth and relegation battle is not a successful mix imo.

Wotherspiniesta
27-12-2011, 12:48 PM

How not?

These more "experienced" players have dragged us into this mess and don't look like getting us out of it.

SouthamptonHibs
27-12-2011, 01:06 PM
i hope he doesn't go down the "give youth a chance route"! it's also known as the cheap option

The problem....

We need 6 or 7 ideally 8 solid / class 25 - 35 year old players in the team - which we don't have before we can bring youth through!
young guys playing in a bad team only make it worse as they get nervous and make mistakes....remember we signed Towell on loan last year and made that howler in the 1st half of his debut v huns (just one exmaple)

young players need to be given a chance but in a team that has experience to make them better players! our crop of youngsters we brought three years plus have been crap for us, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Stevenson, the ones we've signed have been poor Galbraith, Stephens and Towell...i've no idea whats happened to Booth
Problem with these lads is they should potential but played next to crap experienced pros!

If you bring in the youngsters then there experienced pro's would be Hanlon etc - there still learning! As i'd imagine the guys we want to get rid of are Hart o'hanlon etc

I hope for one we don't add any of the young lads into out squad, we have enough of them there, we need QUALITY experienced players!
Petrie get the cheque book out

hail Hail

Spike Mandela
27-12-2011, 01:13 PM
How not?

These more "experienced" players have dragged us into this mess and don't look like getting us out of it.

Right now we need guys that have been over the course. Of the so called 'experienced' players we have at the moment Murray's illness seems to have caught up, Hart had too long out with injury, Sproule in reality is a realtive novice to high level football and GOC has external difficulties on his mind.

The rest of our team is pretty youthful and inexperienced, I don't think adding more inexperience is the best way out of our current plight although it may be all we can afford.

Adding a Murdo McLeod, Sauzee, Mixu, Latapy or Archibald type player or two would help us more but that is easier said than done I know.

SquashedFrogg
27-12-2011, 01:13 PM
If I was a youngster at ER just now , there is no chance I would want to play in this team.. Would anybody wanna seriously play with the current bunch of no-hopers and drag there career into the gutter ??

No thanks...

On the contrary. If I was a youngster I'd love the opportunity to play in this team. Morale amongst fans is low and I'd see this as a perfect opportunity to make a bit of a name for my self. Any young player coming into this side would get plenty of support from the stands.

Supporters love to see young players, fresh talent, giving their all. Ok they may make mistakes but our senior players are doing that on a weekly basis.

I'd rather see a couple of young, hungry players in the team right now than the likes of Hart and Galbriath.

Wotherspiniesta
27-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Right now we need guys that have been over the course. Of the so called 'experienced' players we have at the moment Murray's illness seems to have caught up, Hart had too long out with injury, Sproule in reality is a realtive novice to high level football and GOC has external difficulties on his mind.

The rest of our team is pretty youthful and inexperienced, I don't think adding more inexperience is the best way out of our current plight although it may be all we can afford.

Adding a Murdo McLeod, Sauzee, Mixu, Latapy or Archibald type player or two would help us more but that is easier said than done I know.

All the player's highlighted have made a contribution to the mess that we're in. The rest of the squad might be young but are certainly not inexperienced. Players like Hanlon and Stevenson have all had 3 seasons or more in top flight football and are capped u-21 internationals.

I'd much rather have a hungry 19 year old eager to prove he can make it, than an unfit/uninterested player towards the end of his career. We're not even half way through the season yet, but these more senior players who have been over the course will take us down IMHO.

Spike Mandela
27-12-2011, 01:53 PM
All the player's highlighted have made a contribution to the mess that we're in. The rest of the squad might be young but are certainly not inexperienced. Players like Hanlon and Stevenson have all had 3 seasons or more in top flight football and are capped u-21 internationals.

I'd much rather have a hungry 19 year old eager to prove he can make it, than an unfit/uninterested player towards the end of his career. We're not even half way through the season yet, but these more senior players who have been over the course will take us down IMHO.

For the most part we have a young inexperienced team just now, making it younger and more inexperienced doesn't really inspire me.

The current experienced players you highlighted in bold haven't been over the course at the top level like the players I listed later who all came to us late in their career.

Truth is whichever formula is right we need someone or some group to come in and galvanise this team pronto. Ideally it would be a mix of the experienced pro and the young hungry new blood.

Golden Bear
27-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Help ma boab - we're talking about professional fitba' players here - not babies wrapped in swaddling clothes!

The Under 19 league has almost conditioned us into thinking that a player will be neither strong enough nor good enough for 1st team action until they're a "mature" 20 year old.

If they're good enough then they're old enough should be the criteria and historically fans have shown more patience and offered more encouragement to the younger players who have progressed through the ranks.

So if there is another Jimmy O'Rourke or Peter Marinello lurking in the Under 19's then for god's sake get them into the first team!

Wotherspiniesta
27-12-2011, 02:22 PM
For the most part we have a young inexperienced team just now, making it younger and more inexperienced doesn't really inspire me.

The current experienced players you highlighted in bold haven't been over the course at the top level like the players I listed later who all came to us late in their career.

Truth is whichever formula is right we need someone or some group to come in and galvanise this team pronto. Ideally it would be a mix of the experienced pro and the young hungry new blood.

:agree:

Cropley10
27-12-2011, 02:26 PM

No thanks...

Because as a 19 year old you have youth and confidence on your side. These players like Caldwell the other day v The Hun are desperate to get on.

Beefster
27-12-2011, 02:46 PM
The young players should be put into the team when they're ready, not because we're at risk of relegation with the existing bunch of charlatans. What a way to kill the youngsters' confidence - make them responsible for the mess created by the real culprits.

down the slope
27-12-2011, 02:53 PM
It's not youngsters or experienced pro's we need it's some class, when we got out of div one we had players who were still getting international caps for their Country . A few class players can bring out the best in the rest , the board will not see it that way as they know zero about football.

SquashedFrogg
27-12-2011, 02:56 PM
The young players should be put into the team when they're ready, not because we're at risk of relegation with the existing bunch of charlatans. What a way to kill the youngsters' confidence - make them responsible for the mess created by the real culprits.

Of course they should only be put in when they're 'ready'. Goes without saying really.

I would however suggest that at 18/19 years of age, a player should be ready, or close to being ready for the first team. I'm not suggesting we flood the team with 17 year olds but don't see how bringing in a couple of the under 19's wouldn't give the team a much needed lift.

bingo70
27-12-2011, 02:58 PM
It's not youngsters or experienced pro's we need it's some class, when we got out of div one we had players who were still getting international caps for their Country . A few class players can bring out the best in the rest , the board will not see it that way as they know zero about football.

It's not the boards decision to make.

I agree about your first point, i don't really care if the player is 42 or 14, if he's a good player with some genuine quality he'll improve this team and that's what we need so that's who Fenlon needs to identify and if he does hopefully the board can continue to back the manager as they have done with recent managers.

SquashedFrogg
27-12-2011, 03:00 PM

The sky money certainly made that a little more attainable but it's a great idea. For example the chap Salgado is being made available at Blackburn. Someone like him to come in for a season or two would possibly help us. Plonk him center mid and let him ping passes all over the pitch and show everyone how it's done.

Just an example mind.

Spike Mandela
27-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Help ma boab - we're talking about professional fitba' players here - not babies wrapped in swaddling clothes!

The Under 19 league has almost conditioned us into thinking that a player will be neither strong enough nor good enough for 1st team action until they're a "mature" 20 year old.

If they're good enough then they're old enough should be the criteria and historically fans have shown more patience and offered more encouragement to the younger players who have progressed through the ranks.

So if there is another Jimmy O'Rourke or Peter Marinello lurking in the Under 19's then for god's sake get them into the first team!

Hearts will be quids in next year then:greengrin

SquashedFrogg
27-12-2011, 03:32 PM

Exactly. I thought the whole point of the under 19's was priming them for the first team?

SquashedFrogg
27-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Hearts will be quids in next year then:greengrin

I think you mean AFC Hearts of Sighthill :wink:

18/03/07
27-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Do you not think he is meaning our young players that are out on loan,Smith,Crawford,Horner and Taggert rather than the under 19's?

brydekirk
27-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Do you not think he is meaning our young players that are out on loan,Smith,Crawford,Horner and Taggert rather than the under 19's?

Agree, theres more chance of that happening, and the anove mentioned should ne tough enough to handle it.

BEEJ
27-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Do you not think he is meaning our young players that are out on loan, Smith, Crawford, Horner and Taggart rather than the under 19's?
He is. :agree:

So that's our full-back problem sorted, then. :thumbsup:

KeithTheHibby
27-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Can you just imagine a 19 year old making his debut and giving the ball away ??

The outcry from the stands would be awful.......

I disagree, we are never hard on anyone who is new to the team let alone a youngster.

What get's me is if these youngsters are deemed good enough how have they not been in the team earlier? Probably because Calderwood was utterly hopeless.

18/03/07
27-12-2011, 10:56 PM
I disagree, we are never hard on anyone who is new to the team let alone a youngster.

What get's me is if these youngsters are deemed good enough how have they not been in the team earlier? Probably because Calderwood was utterly hopeless.

The 19's side couple year ago that won league and cup double were a brill side to watch,but only Wotherspoon and Booth have made it to the 1st team and Wotherspoon gets unjustified pelters on this forum,Booth also got a bit abuse on this forum as well.
Stevenson and Hanlon were part of that side early on but got promoted to the 1st team early and guess what,they still get pelters on this forum.
Would you still want at this time some of the present 19's team to be promoted to 1st team?
We deffo need the reserve league back,not a colts side which is Rod Petries prefered option.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-12-2011, 11:21 PM

As football guru Alan Hansen said, you will win nothing with kids.

snooky
27-12-2011, 11:30 PM

I was told CC never even watched the U19s.
So your statement is correct IMO.

BEEJ
27-12-2011, 11:44 PM
I was told CC never even watched the U19s.
So your statement is correct IMO.
If indeed CC invariably spent 2 or 3 days a week in Northampton / London, then I'm not surprised.

It was, as I understood it, Alistair Stevenson's prime role under CC to prepare and introduce the younger players to the first team squad. Although given first team performances over that period there has never really been an ideal time to do that.

Albion Hibs
27-12-2011, 11:55 PM
If we have young players at the club that are good enough to be in the squad then why not. The "lets just play the under 19's" came up around this time last season, people were raving about Bryne, Moyes etc and how they did so much at the 19's level, I think we can see how little that means when it comes to playing against a first team.

Look at Wotherspoon and Hanlon who would appear to excel at international level, again they are playing against kids, playing against a guy who is older, more expereinced and stronger is only going to give one winner, and it wont be the aforementioned.

I think players like Smith, Caldwell and Booth can be important players for us as we go into next year. But I dont want to just thrown in the youngsters for the sake of Fenlon pulling out another fans favorite catch phrase from the EEN.