PDA

View Full Version : The Answer

harry-hibee
26-12-2011, 11:00 PM
At Tannadice on Saturday i was sat just beside the dugout where Pat Fenlon was Shouting out instructions to the players and in my view it was better than any advice that was sent out by the last 3 previous manager that i have heard when i was in a similar position, what did concern me that it was basic tacital advice that our current squad had hard time trying to understand and which should have been second nature to any professional footballer. We do have players in the team that have improved since Pat Fenlon has arrived ie:Spoony but we do need a backbone and a a bit of skill particular in the midfield so i suggest in the interm period we should or need to invest in the two players that would give us this expierence within the SPL, one being Jim Godwin at St Mirren and the other Keith Lasley from Motherwell and a cub of our standing should be able to afford these two now, even if it includes transfer fees and/or wages.WE NEED TO INVEST NOW BEFORE IT IS TO LATE, BECAUSE THE FIRST DIVISION LOOMS LARGE!!

Franck Stanton
26-12-2011, 11:14 PM
You would think a Club of our standing could afford the players you mention but fenlon has stated that they couldn't afford to pay the £150,000 to secure Griffiths. Seems the purse strings at E/R have been well and truly tightened.

fatbloke
26-12-2011, 11:47 PM
You would think a Club of our standing could afford the players you mention but fenlon has stated that they couldn't afford to pay the £150,000 to secure Griffiths. Seems the purse strings at E/R have been well and truly tightened.

WTF. When and where:confused:

SaulGoodman
26-12-2011, 11:48 PM
WTF. When and where:confused:

I second this, first I've heard anyway.

Sergeant Hibs
27-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Years ago when Dundee beat us to him when he was at Livi

stanton10
27-12-2011, 09:43 AM
I would like you to explain how spoony has improved since pf has arrived because i have ot seen any improvement at all in fact he probably by all accounts does not merit a start imo.

smurf
27-12-2011, 09:48 AM
I second this, first I've heard anyway.

I too read this and as it was only a few days ago he said it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

I wasn't surprised to read it.

harry-hibee
27-12-2011, 09:55 AM
I would like you to explain how spoony has improved since pf has arrived because i have ot seen any improvement at all in fact he probably by all accounts does not merit a start imo.

Although he is not back to anywhere near his best he is chasing down opponent's better and his movement in the midfield is better, there is an improvement in his general play but there is still away to go.

PISTOL1875
27-12-2011, 10:30 AM
At Tannadice on Saturday i was sat just beside the dugout where Pat Fenlon was Shouting out instructions to the players and in my view it was better than any advice that was sent out by the last 3 previous manager that i have heard when i was in a similar position, what did concern me that it was basic tacital advice that our current squad had hard time trying to understand and which should have been second nature to any professional footballer. We do have players in the team that have improved since Pat Fenlon has arrived ie:Spoony but we do need a backbone and a a bit of skill particular in the midfield so i suggest in the interm period we should or need to invest in the two players that would give us this expierence within the SPL, one being Jim Godwin at St Mirren and the other Keith Lasley from Motherwell and a cub of our standing should be able to afford these two now, even if it includes transfer fees and/or wages.WE NEED TO INVEST NOW BEFORE IT IS TO LATE, BECAUSE THE FIRST DIVISION LOOMS LARGE!!

PF does seem to have a better understanding of the game.. However , CC just stood about and said nothing , and as for John Hughes ?? Well whenever he opened his trap it was usually abusing a player of just shouting a pile of crap...

Jim44
27-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Even if we could invest in a couple of players, where would we find them? Fenlon has already said that decent players would be unwilling to risk their careers at a club in Hibs' perilous position. Alarming but realistic words but not entirely surprising.

ancient hibee
27-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Perhaps you can provide the evidence for this?When did Wolves even put a price on the player?

oldbutdim
27-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Perhaps you can provide the evidence for this?When did Wolves even put a price on the player?

Haven't read Pat's quote, but I thought the poster meant the £150k that took him to Wolves.

ancient hibee
27-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Haven't read Pat's quote, but I thought the poster meant the £150k that took him to Wolves.

So if that was the price that took him to Wolves where has Wolves said they want £150K for him-answer nowhere-but it's a good chance to make up a story about the board refusing to pay a fee that has not yet been asked for!

oldbutdim
27-12-2011, 12:00 PM
So if that was the price that took him to Wolves where has Wolves said they want £150K for him-answer nowhere-but it's a good chance to make up a story about the board refusing to pay a fee that has not yet been asked for!

I didn't make myself very clear there.........

re:You would think a Club of our standing could afford the players you mention but fenlon has stated that they couldn't afford to pay the £150,000 to secure Griffiths. Seems the purse strings at E/R have been well and truly tightened.

I thought maybe it was Hibs not being able to come up with the readies when Griffiths was looking for a new club, but Wolves did!

But if I'm off course, then I totally agree with your point!
:agree:

Frazerbob
27-12-2011, 12:30 PM

I posted a similar opinion on the PM the other day.......

At Aberdeen I was in a box directly above the dug out. What struck me was the number of "coaches" shouting instructions, it was mental. It really was a case of too may cooks. Different coaches (a couple of which I have no idea who they were) seemed to giving different advice to the same players.

At Tanadice I sat right next to the Hibs dug out and could hear every word. Totally different. Pat Fenlon was the only person shouting at the players.....and boy, he never shut up the entire game. A couple of times Billy Brown came out to speak to him at the edge of the box but to be honest, it looked like Fenlon didn't even listen. There were times when Fenlon retired back into the dug out for a wee confab with Brown and O'Brien but that's it.

As most on the PM board know, my opinion of Fenlon wasn't exactly high when he got the job but I have to say, on Saturday I was very impressed. He kicked every ball, constantly encouraged the players, especially Ivan, Jimmy Scott and Palsson. In fact I commented that Fenlon put in more work on the side lines than Palsson did on the pitch. It was obvious that he employs a "sandwich" method of criticism. Every time he shouted at a player for doing something wrong he seemed to sandwich that comment between two pieces of encouragement. The players definately responded to him. He also kept everything very simple IMO.

The contrast to the statuesque and mute Calderwood was night and day. If (and it's a BIG if) he can get shot of most of the team and get some half decent replacements then I am hopeful Fenlon can make a difference and get us out of this continual downward spiral.