PDA

View Full Version : Question If we go down again...

Jamesie
24-12-2011, 05:11 PM
...will we bounce straight back up?

I think it's fair to say last time round we bought our way out of the First Division with signings like Latapy and Sauzee. It was also probably a less competitive league than it is today. The debt created by that exercise was quickly cleared by a freakish run of high quality young players who could be sold off for substantial transfer fees as well as decent television money on the table

What now? It would probably cost even more to buy our way back to the SPL and there would be little in the way of transfer income or television money to cover that - far less than in the 1998/1999 season. Would we bounce straight back up? :confused:

BoltonHibee
24-12-2011, 05:15 PM

I think it's fair to say last time round we bought our way out of the First Division with signings like Latapy and Sauzee. It was also probably a less competitive league than it is today. The debt created by that exercise was quickly cleared by a freakish run of high quality young players who could be sold off for substantial transfer fees as well as decent television money on the table

What now? It would probably cost even more to buy our way back to the SPL and there would be little in the way of transfer income or television money to cover that - far less than in the 1998/1999 season. Would we bounce straight back up? :confused:

If we went down and didn't invest to get straight back up then we are more than likely goosed. But if we do invest, we could soon find ourselves back where we started debt wise..... This is where the balance of what the Hibs Board have been doing over the last years has been all wrong.

We are in a very precarious position

nortonhibby
24-12-2011, 05:19 PM

We wont go down stop talking about it please.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-12-2011, 05:20 PM
East Mains and a shiny new stand could be blamed! They've both made me desperate to get along to ER recently.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Wheres the confidence coming from? We're pish!

SteveHFC
24-12-2011, 05:22 PM
If we go down and don't invest. We will end up like Dundee

IFONLY
24-12-2011, 05:24 PM

Statements like that are wishful thinking.!!!!!!!! If Dunfermline start to improve then we are doomed.they have taken 4/6 points of us and we play them away soon. We are terrible and I really cant see where our next win will come from . I am also concerned about our forthcoming scottish cup tie agaginst Cowdenbeath.

Postman
24-12-2011, 05:28 PM
I agree, I trust the new man will get us clear of this.

The one strange thing is that as a club we would probably be better going through a relegation that pulled the club together like it did the last time than season after season of the dross we are going through just now winning so few games. Narrow survival followed by little investment in the team over the summer to get the fans excited could see crowds fall to 6-7k. Far too many people I know are already unlikely to renew ST's next year, they've been pushed to far already

nortonhibby
24-12-2011, 05:31 PM
East Mains and a shiny new stand could be blamed! They've both made me desperate to get along to ER recently.

There is one man to blame for the non investment in the team RP Till he goes and is replaced by someone who will invest in our team it will only get worse yes we have the shiney stand and state of art training facilities but the product on the park is dire.

Dunfermline will falter and get relegated they are poor thats what will save Don Feflons bacon till next season.

IFONLY
24-12-2011, 05:32 PM
I agree, I trust the new man will get us clear of this.

The one strange thing is that as a club we would probably be better going through a relegation that pulled the club together like it did the last time than season after season of the dross we are going through just now winning so few games. Narrow survival followed by little investment in the team over the summer to get the fans excited could see crowds fall to 6-7k. Far too many people I know are already unlikely to renew ST's next year, they've been pushed to far already

Totally disagree if we go down we have no god given right to go back up, we would end up with players of even lesser ability than those we have now. You talk about people not renewing season tickets, do you more will if we are relegated?

Postman
24-12-2011, 05:35 PM
There is one man to blame for the non investment in the team RP Till he goes and is replaced by someone who will invest in our team it will only get worse yes we have the shiney stand and state of art training facilities but the product on the park is dire.

Dunfermline will falter and get relegated they are poor thats what will save Don Feflons bacon till next season.
I don't agree with this, the one thing Petrie can be blamed for is his shocking managerial appointments, the last few have all been well backed financially to more than compete with the rest of the SPL, probably only outspent by the OF and Hearts. Its been who the managers have chosen to waste the money on that's been the problem.

Jamesie
24-12-2011, 05:39 PM
I sat beside the Hibs dugout today and I liked what I saw from Fenlon - night and day from Calderwood. But how many players can he realistically bring in during January? This squad is rotten, it's beaten, it's finished and needs to be dismantled as soon as possible. Whether Fenlon has the tools available to him to do that next month remains to be seen.

Postman
24-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Totally disagree if we go down we have no god given right to go back up, we would end up with players of even lesser ability than those we have now. You talk about people not renewing season tickets, do you more will if we are relegated?
ST sales will probably be around the same i'd say, in other words far lower than this year. Of course we have no god given right to immediate promotion but what i'm getting at is the club is dying a slower death right now and another year or two of fighting relegation will have the same effect as a relegation would. Player ability being lesser?? You sure? I don't think this bunch would win us promotion out of the First Division, you would need a leader to do that for a start!

Jamesie
24-12-2011, 05:44 PM

Curiously our attendances spiked in the First Division last time round. Mind you, we had Sauzee and Latapy putting on a show every week.

Barney McGrew
24-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Curiously our attendances spiked in the First Division last time round. Mind you, we had Sauzee and Latapy putting on a show every week.

I don't think they did.

We only had half a dozen crowds or so over 10k at home the whole season IIRC.

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Rubbish.

Postman
24-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Exactly the point I was trying to make, the last thing I want is relegation and its unlikely things would go so smoothly again but right now the club is just dying that wee bit slower with season after season of dross! ER hasn't been a day out to look forward to for a few years

Postman
24-12-2011, 05:50 PM
I don't think they did.

How many would you expect in the SPL next season i we're served up more of the same?? We only just got there in our last game with Rangers

silverhibee
24-12-2011, 05:52 PM

This time round i would say no, if we get relagated next year i think we may find it very dificult to bounce straight back up, Hibs are as soft butter, there is no fight in the team, get relagated and we could be down there for a couple of seasons.

There is something seriously wrong at HFC, we have tried getting rid of all the players at the end of last season, yogi says that was his masterplan, i dont think so, too many players he didn't sign with contracts that ran out at the same time, my guess would be it was RP plan to get rid of all the players, we have sacked the last 3 managers who have been picked by RP, the last manager was a disaster and RP backed him all the way even when it was clear that CC didn't want to be here, he backed him again in a statement with selective stats which was a kick in the teeth to the fans who could clearly see that it was not working with CC, eventually RP decides to get rid of CC the same way he did with Yogi, before the AGM, our owner STF tells us that RP is the best man for the job, so RP give's of noises that he will be taking a back seat at the club and SL and FH will be left to pick the new manager and run the club, low and behold we get a new manager and who is perading him to the press, yep Rod i'm taking a back seat Petrie.

So we have an owner who turns up once a year to tell us how rosy it is at ER and that RP is the right man for the job, surely even STF can see that RP has passed his sell by date at HFC, Rod Petrie is taking this club one way and that is down, he is a negative on the club now. Time for him to go, and no i dont have the money to buy him out before for anyone who asks, but if things continue the way they are going, then fan pressure will force him out.

He cant keep sacking managers and paying off players and not take any of the blame and get away with it.

Jim44
24-12-2011, 05:52 PM
If we go down and don't invest. We will end up like Dundee

Why wait till we're relegated before investing - prevention rather than cure as far as I'm concerned. The present team is incapable of picking up points and has to be radically overhauled. Fenlon, nor any other manager, can turn things round with the present 'losers'.

Davy Mac
24-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I sat beside the Hibs dugout today and I liked what I saw from Fenlon - night and day from Calderwood. But how many players can he realistically bring in during January? This squad is rotten, it's beaten, it's finished and needs to be dismantled as soon as possible. Whether Fenlon has the tools available to him to do that next month remains to be seen.

Jamesie, I agree with your post about the comparison with Calderwood and the team, as that was relegation stuff for me and do you know for the first time in a while I had that relegation team feeling today.

It doesn't look good, it really doesn't.

NOLA
24-12-2011, 06:08 PM
I don't think they did.

the first home game against stranraer :rolleyes: and the final 1 against falkirk are the 2 i remember

Sergeant Hibs
24-12-2011, 11:10 PM
We are pish but dunfermline and ICT are worse and the sheep are just as bad as us no better but no worse we wont go down but we are still pish

NOLA
24-12-2011, 11:20 PM
We are pish but dunfermline and ICT are worse and the sheep are just as bad as us no better but no worse we wont go down but we are still pish

the same dunfy that beat us? and ict are 4 points better than we are, yes we are pish and yes we could easily go down.

Sas_The_Hibby
24-12-2011, 11:22 PM

So how come we have fewer points than two of these teams and the same no. as the other one? :confused:

I suppose if we get relegated we can all console ourselves with the fact that there are several teams worse than us, even if we did finish below them!

Sergeant Hibs
24-12-2011, 11:29 PM
So how come we have fewer points than two of these teams and the same no. as the other one? :confused:

I suppose if we get relegated we can all console ourselves with the fact that there are several teams worse than us, even if we did finish below them!

Against aberdeen what happened with their goal and didnt we beat ICT we will finish 10th or 9th these are grim times but not as bad as some are making out

leither17
24-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Every week folk say we won't go down and now that's 4 on the bounce we have lost i can't see us picking up anytime soon either the whole team has nothing to it they are a bunch of wimps who can't see out a game

Hibercelona
24-12-2011, 11:32 PM

You're talking about a team that is currently above us in the table and a team that we lost to on our own patch and have yet failed to beat.

No team in the SPL is currently worse than we are. If things continue the way they are, our odds of going down are pretty much even with Dunfermline.

I hate seeing comments like "We won't go down", or "We are going down".

Lets just stick to the facts instead of making pointless predictions, because it isn't getting us anywhere.

Sir David Gray
25-12-2011, 12:17 AM

Having watched a fair bit of Inverness' match at Ibrox last week and seeing the kind of results they have picked up recently, I honestly don't think they are worse than us.

Quite the opposite in fact.

In their last 9 games, they have only lost by more than one goal on one occasion and that was against Celtic when they lost 2-0 and they have also scored 17 goals.

Over the same period, we've lost by more than one goal on four occasions and have scored just 7 goals.

Apart from anything else, they currently find themselves 4 points ahead of us in the table, so to try and claim that they are worse than us is rather silly.

Jamesie
25-12-2011, 02:31 AM
The one thing I would agree with Calderwood on is that this squad is soft. The softest he's ever been involved with, I understand. The whole "cakes on a Friday" debacle; the whole "let's not contest a drop ball" as seen at Tannadice yesterday. The players need bottle. Can that be installed by bringing in two or three new faces in January? I, sadly, have my doubts.

blackpoolhibs
25-12-2011, 07:47 AM

Sniff sniff.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-12-2011, 09:50 AM
ICT have been playing well but not getting the breaks. If they stick at it, it will start to come from them. They should have left Ibrox with all 3 points. Ourselves and Dunfy are playing badly and losing. It is a quesion of who breaks this bad habit first. If we finish above them, that will be all that we can expect from our current squad. I expect Fenlon to turn the club around but this blend of players is like being dealt a really bad hand in a poker game. They can be shuffled around but we have a few dark days ahead.