PDA

View Full Version : Why are we playing 28 Dec?

3pm
24-12-2011, 08:14 AM
I may be making a generalisation based on my own work but would it not have made more sense to play ICT on Tuesday afternoon rather than Wednesday night?! I'd have thought that'd make more sense as more folk are off on holiday!

down-the-slope
24-12-2011, 08:16 AM
best to watch us in the dark at the moment.....

Alfred E Newman
24-12-2011, 08:26 AM
I may be making a generalisation based on my own work but would it not have made more sense to play ICT on Tuesday afternoon rather than Wednesday night?! I'd have thought that'd make more sense as more folk are off on holiday!

All logic goes out the window when it comes to decision making at the SPL. Fixtures today instead of the traditional Boxing Day is total madness. midweek evening fixtures next week is equally daft.

Purple & Green
24-12-2011, 09:37 AM
I can only think its tv related- sky trying to fill schedules around their English games.

Baldy
24-12-2011, 09:40 AM

yep and why is there a tv game scheduled at the same time as the rest of the SPL card?, and an Old firm game as well:rolleyes:

macca70
24-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Full card today, only 1 game on TV but 4 different KO times between 1230 & 1330:

ICT v Aberdeen 1230
St mirren v rangers 1245
Hearts v Motherwell 1300
Celtic v Killie 1330
United v Hibs 1330
Dunf v St Johnstone 1330

What a shambles

Billy Whizz
24-12-2011, 10:00 AM
What I thought would have been more sensible would to have played the Dundee Utd game on Boxing Day and the Inverness game on Thursday night

down-the-slope
24-12-2011, 10:10 AM
What I thought would have been more sensible would to have played the Dundee Utd game on Boxing Day and the Inverness game on Thursday night

:agree: would have done for me

Hibee87
24-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Full card today, only 1 game on TV but 4 different KO times between 1230 & 1330:

ICT v Aberdeen 1230
St mirren v rangers 1245
Hearts v Motherwell 1300
Celtic v Killie 1330
United v Hibs 1330
Dunf v St Johnstone 1330

What a shambles

to be fair this wasnt to do with the SPL it was between the clubs making a gentlemans agreement for the travelling fans etc since its xmas eve

greenlex
24-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Not everybody is on holiday. Id be mighty pissed off having bought a Season Ticket and the game was played during the day just because some folk were on holiday.
Its a midweek game so an evening kicknoff is sensible IMO

Martin
24-12-2011, 10:14 AM

No train service on Boxing day might play a big factor in these games not being played then...

Billy Whizz
24-12-2011, 10:17 AM
No train service on Boxing day might play a big factor in these games not being played then...

I would have thought most years there were fixtures on Boxing Day?

brog
24-12-2011, 10:28 AM
English clubs always get their highest attendances at holiday time, eg Xmas & Easter. Scottish clubs used to be the same with the traditional Jan 2 game often attracting big crowds. I can remember standing on packed terraces at Falkirk, Raith etc on Jan 2 & the atmosphere was fantastic. When New Years Day became much more of a holiday in England the FA quickly moved to add fixtures at that time, just as Scotland was reducing ours!! It's crazy to be playing on a Dec midweek night when there's a public holiday available a day earlier. No doubt TV plays some part but mainly it's the Scottish clubs/SFA/SPL who lack the vision to do something. I had this conversation many years ago with Dougie Cromb. To be fair he switched our Xmas fixture the following year, vs Partick I think & we got a crowd 3,000 more than the prior corresponding fixture. The following year it was back to normal.
Meanwhile our great leaders appoint a failed politician to tell us a 10 team league is the way forward. Bah humbug!!

macca70
24-12-2011, 11:20 AM
to be fair this wasnt to do with the SPL it was between the clubs making a gentlemans agreement for the travelling fans etc since its xmas eve

Yeah, so if the SPL were wanting Chrismas Eve fixtures then why didn't they organise it better to have all the games kicking off so that you could listen to all the scores coming through at the same time.

SPL should have consulted the clubs and had them all KO at 1pm, other than the TV game which is dictated by the tv company.