PDA

View Full Version : Garry O'Connor pre contract

H18sry
24-12-2011, 06:06 AM
With the Hun's :wink:

Source is normally spot on.

MUPPET
24-12-2011, 06:32 AM
There's a surprise!To be honest he hasn't looked interested for a wee while now. The curse of the "one of our own" song strikes again....

cad
24-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Its doing the rounds O Conner plus Boyds coming back , Super Swallys put an offer in for Stevenson off Hearts to allegedly .

Every day theres somebody new being linked with Jelavic , Sunderland , Liverpool, Everton , Aston Villa ,Newcastle , Stoke to name but a few so theres a good chance hes offski , I actually think the guys pretty handy £7 million should see him gone

CallumLaidlaw
24-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Its doing the rounds O Conner plus Boyds coming back , Super Swallys put an offer in for Stevenson off Hearts to allegedly .

Every day theres somebody new being linked with Jelavic , Sunderland , Liverpool, Everton , Aston Villa ,Newcastle , Stoke to name but a few so theres a good chance hes offski , I actually think the guys pretty handy £7 million should see him gone

Yeah, I rate Jelavic. Everton are my English team and would be quite happy if they found the cash for him.

O Connor was terrific in August & September but has gone completely off the boil since then. Really hasn't looked interested. I'm amazed that rangers are prepared to give a contract to a guy that could be in the jail in 2 months

cad
24-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Gary will score bundles of goals for them , Saughton permitting

Mark79
24-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Do we read anything into the signing of Doyle as part of this.

down-the-slope
24-12-2011, 07:31 AM
surely he cant (shouldnt) be talking to anyone till jan 1st :rolleyes:

H18sry
24-12-2011, 07:34 AM
surely he cant (shouldnt) be talking to anyone till jan 1st :rolleyes:

Depends when his contract runs out, you can sign pre-contract in the last 6 months of your currant deal. :wink:

Alan62
24-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Depends when his contract runs out, you can sign pre-contract in the last 6 months of your currant deal. :wink:

Yes, if he's in the last six months of his currant deal then Hibs won't be raisin any complaints. Should help prune the wage bill as well. :wink:

CentreLine
24-12-2011, 07:47 AM
And he'll be back in the Scotland squad before you can say Craig Levine's short sighted

hibiedude
24-12-2011, 07:50 AM
The Merry go round will only start IF "Jelavic" leaves

Lennon making silly suggestions about Boyd is a non starter because Boyd would never go and play for Celtic.

With Hearts in the middle of a fire sale both old/firm teams will be hanging about like a bad smell wanting something for nothing.

O'Conner signed a one year deal with us and that was to show others if he still had what it takes to play at a bigger level and if I was to put Money on the next move for Gary it would be to Celtic.

Niffy
24-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Yeah I'm afraid going by last 2 months no great loss to us.
I don't think his troubles are behind him either.

Peevemor
24-12-2011, 08:01 AM

Would that be a case of sour grapes,

johnrebus
24-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Yeah I'm afraid going by last 2 months no great loss to us.
I don't think his troubles are behind him either.

If he does go then I hope this message board doesn't turn up the usual Merrick style, 'he was garbage anyway', type stuff.

:coffee:

SneakersO'Toole
24-12-2011, 08:06 AM
If true have him train with the youngsters.

He has been rank for weeks now anyway. His attitude is atrocious and he should never be captain in a month of sundays.

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2011, 08:10 AM
If he does go then I hope this message board doesn't turn up the usual Merrick style, 'he was garbage anyway', type stuff.

:coffee:

He has been poor though, why would anyone say he's not been poor for weeks? He started off on fire, but now is a shadow of that.:confused:

johnrebus
24-12-2011, 08:10 AM

He has been rank for weeks now anyway. His attitude is atrocious and he should never be captain in a month of sundays.

What Attitude?

He is playing in the worst Hibs team in living memory, the guy isn't Superman.

Give him a break, eh?

johnrebus
24-12-2011, 08:12 AM
He has been poor though, why would anyone say he's not been poor for weeks? He started off on fire, but now is a shadow of that.:confused:

I did not say he hadn't been poor recently, but who hasn't?

All I am saying is that I hope we don't all turn into Merrick Revisionaries as soon as he leaves.

That is all.

:cb

degenerated
24-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Would that be a case of sour grapes,

He would certainly see a large raisin his wages :agree:

Iain G
24-12-2011, 08:15 AM
I did not say he hadn't been poor recently, but who hasn't?

All I am saying is that I hope we don't all turn into Merrick Revisionaries as soon as he leaves.

That is all.

:cb

I suspect the goings on in his private life are having a negative effect on his professional life, shame, but we cant afford to carry expensive footballers at Hibs these days... :agree:

Peevemor
24-12-2011, 08:24 AM
He would certainly see a large raisin his wages :agree:

That would be a re sultana half for him.

ALF TUPPER
24-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Yes, if he's in the last six months of his currant deal then Hibs won't be raisin any complaints. Should help prune the wage bill as well. :wink:

Heehee

just_joe
24-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Deep down I think the majority of us knew he was heading to one of the old firm. Him only signing a one year deal confirmed it for me. I thought it would have been Celtic who signed him though due to him being on trial there. From what I heard he only came here for fitness. He doesn't look interested these days , a bit how Riordan went at the end. Question is though where are the goal's going to come from now? We are bad enough even with O'Connor, Sodje IMO is not the answer but hopefully Doyle can bag in a few.

just_joe
24-12-2011, 08:31 AM

:agree:

Leithenhibby
24-12-2011, 08:35 AM
IF, true I would drop him now!

He started on fire and has dropped to a flicker, not good enough for starting.

Eddie Turnbull would have had him in the stand weeks ago!! :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-12-2011, 08:47 AM

When he signs for Rangers, that will be a currant deal.

s.a.m
24-12-2011, 09:10 AM

Because it would make him a currant bun?

Captain Trips
24-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Excellent come to Hibs get into shop window and move to a rival, benefit to Hibs in long term = zero, replace with player whom has signed for 1 and a half seasons whom in 1yr can also sign a pre contract, keep up the great work. There will be no drop him now or train with kids as per usual all will go in the players favour.

Do not bring in any more players whom are clearly only interested in using Hibs in the short term.

degenerated
24-12-2011, 09:22 AM

I thought the Hun were pruning back their squad numbers.

degenerated
24-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Excellent come to Hibs get into shop window and move to a rival, benefit to Hibs in long term = zero, replace with player whom has signed for 1 and a half seasons whom in 1yr can also sign a pre contract, keep up the great work. There will be no drop him now or train with kids as per usual all will go in the players favour.

Do not bring in any more players whom are clearly only interested in using Hibs in the short term.

It's cliched to be cynical at Christmas :agree:

AlbertK86
24-12-2011, 09:23 AM

I think he struggles with this formation. He has had to do all the running down either side as both ivan and galbraith are as good as men short. Undoubtedly Gaz is far better when he has somebody right up front beside him. Not blaming PF for playing this as until he gets more quality in he is trying to improve up defensively by playing two holding mid. I'd like to see him go for it today with Sodje up front with gaz. Booth in to left mid instead of ivan as he is far more creative. Think this might help gaz. If he goes we cannae say we didn't know it was going to happen. End of the day mastermind ROD only have him a one year deal. Was always going to score goals and the threads when he signed seemed happy to have him for whatever short period

JustSimplyHibs
24-12-2011, 09:26 AM
He has been a good servant to Hibs over the two spells, thanks for your service. :thumbsup:

I would imagine it get's a real high earner of our wage bill so it will balanace the books a bit and gives PF a bit of leeway in signing players.

Wonder if this is freeing up cash to bring in an U21 international in Griffiths during the summer :wink: wouldnae mind us trying to tap up that Rhodes but he will way out our or any SPL club price league so ad settle for another U21 player in Griffiths.

Back to GOC - if he played to his potential, Garry would score 20 goals a season easy but he doesn't, it is a hit or a miss on what Garry turns up...so am no fussed, let him be a bench warmer at one of the old firm.

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2011, 09:28 AM
I think he struggles with this formation. He has had to do all the running down either side as both ivan and galbraith are as good as men short. Undoubtedly Gaz is far better when he has somebody right up front beside him. Not blaming PF for playing this as until he gets more quality in he is trying to improve up defensively by playing two holding mid. I'd like to see him go for it today with Sodje up front with gaz. Booth in to left mid instead of ivan as he is far more creative. Think this might help gaz. If he goes we cannae say we didn't know it was going to happen. End of the day mastermind ROD only have him a one year deal. Was always going to score goals and the threads when he signed seemed happy to have him for whatever short period

I keep hearing how he struggles with this formation of 1 up front, yet when he was scoring for fun it was quickly fotgotten?

What i struggle to understand though, if this is the case and he does struggle, why do manager after manager persist in this?

Peevemor
24-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Excellent come to Hibs get into shop window and move to a rival, benefit to Hibs in long term = zero,

Apart from his early season goals possibly being the difference between getting relegated or not.

replace with player whom has signed for 1 and a half seasons whom in 1yr can also sign a pre contract, keep up the great work. There will be no drop him now or train with kids as per usual all will go in the players favour.

You don't know how they came about the length of the deal. Maybe it was Hibs/PF's idea? :dunno: Would Ipswich not have been a better shop window for Doyle if that's all he's interested in?

Why? GO'C's goals this season have been extremely valuable. Stoke's goals when he was here didn't do us any harm either.

I look forward to the day when you take off your negative blinkers and post some sense.

Captain Trips
24-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Apart from his early season goals possibly being the difference between getting relegated or not.

You don't know how they came about the length of the deal. Maybe it was Hibs/PF's idea? :dunno: Would Ipswich not have been a better shop window for Doyle if that's all he's interested in?

Why? GO'C's goals this season have been extremely valuable. Stoke's goals when he was here didn't do us any harm either.

I look forward to the day when you take off your negative blinkers and post some sense.

The sense peevmore is we are near bottom of SPL due to bad managers and rotating all these strikers and other players, Stokes had signed for 2 years I think, Why would PF sign a player whom he deems good enough for 18mths? 18mths is way longer than a trial term so PF must feel is up to job so why not have players like that for longer?I think Doyle wanted shorter deal, No matter what we are again looking at yet another partnership up front that then again can be altered in just a few weeks.

I said it 18mths ago on here we will be looking at a new manager and crap finishes with players on these deals, for the odd good player we get short term it doesnt work for a lot more, I had no problem with GoC coming in as now way we could sign him longer but I wanted more permanent players in around him to build.

Aye it is good Doyle is in but how can it be good that in just 1yrs time he will be in position to sign with another club, how can that be good?

With him on a short deal I would have maybe brought in a player for longer to partner him so we had some continuity but no all his partners are also able to leave sooner rather than later, CC imo has been very lazy and felt knew was going so only signed these short termers.

HH81
24-12-2011, 09:44 AM
18 month deal is prob best for Doyle as an unknown. If he does well Hibs get big fee for him in summer if not then he is not on a long term contact.

Captain Trips
24-12-2011, 09:49 AM
18 month deal is prob best for Doyle as an unknown. If he does well Hibs get big fee for him in summer if not then he is not on a long term contact.

Thays the issue HH, we need to be thinking if he does well he is here to continue that not cash in asap and then go on hunt for a replacement, we are here for 2 reasons bad managers and players coming and going all over shop that they decided was a good idea, it is clearly not.

If Doyle does well I look forward to him in following season not selling on.

scoopyboy
24-12-2011, 09:50 AM
A lot of the rumours concerning Garry comes from Garry himself.

He is telling people that he is signing for Rangers.

Years ago he came into the Brig and told me he was signing for Rangers. A few days later he was up town drinking champagne telling people he had just signed for them.

Great guy but a legend in his own lunchtime.

Not to say he's not signing for them but I would take it with a pinch of salt.

snooky
24-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Garry is not a sole striker. He needs someone like Brewster to play off.
He struggled first time around in that position so it should no surprise that he's struggling up front alone now.

I fancy Celtic to sign him however, he might bury his past allegances and grab the Bosch dosh.

brog
24-12-2011, 09:53 AM
I keep hearing how he struggles with this formation of 1 up front, yet when he was scoring for fun it was quickly fotgotten?

What i struggle to understand though, if this is the case and he does struggle, why do manager after manager persist in this?

He wasn't scoring for fun as a lone striker, 7 of his 10 goals this season have come when he has had a strike partner. IMO GOC has continued to try hard in recent weeks but his frustration is obvious, mostly at the lack of service. It's like bad karma since the ludicrous fuss over his "dive" vs St J. His only goal since then was lost because of the abandoned game & in a horror show by Craig Thomson last week I think his worst decision was actually booking Gaz for diving when he was clearly caught by the defender.
FWIW I'm just grateful we have him in a Hibs jersey & I wish him well for the future, whatever that may be, Except of course if he's with the OF or playing against us!! :wink: Mind you, remember that rumour some time ago of him going to Yams? At least we don't have to worry bout that!!

Jim44
24-12-2011, 09:57 AM
All credit and thanks to O'Connor for his contribution earlier in the season, but it seems to me that his loss of form coincided with an upsurge in the level of publicity about his private life. In this respect, worse may still be to come. His value to us is minimal and if Rangers want take a risk with him (they would probably include a get out clause in his contract). I would get shot of him sooner rather than later and try to get someone to partner Doyle. We need players who genuinely want to be at ER and are ready for the dogfight we are in. O'Connor is presently incapable of this.

HH81
24-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Thays the issue HH, we need to be thinking if he does well he is here to continue that not cash in asap and then go on hunt for a replacement, we are here for 2 reasons bad managers and players coming and going all over shop that they decided was a good idea, it is clearly not.

If Doyle does well I look forward to him in following season not selling on.
Hibs are a selling club, if a player has a good season and a club comes in for him he will go. A longer contract only helps with getting a higher fee but see where your coming from.

Captain Trips
24-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I support Hibs not Garry O'Connor and I want what is best for us, Garry completing his contract is IMO best for Hibs when you look at what we have to select from, Doyle could come in for last few months and pick up some good experience. IMO Garry was struggling before he came here, Hibs have given him a new lease of life, he knows and can see we are in trouble IMO I think he owes the club the final 6mths for what it has done over last few months.

Alas we know what players are like in a lot of cases, and they do not really care about issues like that.

SteveHFC
24-12-2011, 10:09 AM
If true O'Connor can GTF!

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2011, 10:10 AM
[B]He wasn't scoring for fun as a lone striker, 7 of his 10 goals this season have come when he has had a strike partner. IMO GOC has continued to try hard in recent weeks but his frustration is obvious, mostly at the lack of service. It's like bad karma since the ludicrous fuss over his "dive" vs St J. His only goal since then was lost because of the abandoned game & in a horror show by Craig Thomson last week I think his worst decision was actually booking Gaz for diving when he was clearly caught by the defender.
FWIW I'm just grateful we have him in a Hibs jersey & I wish him well for the future, whatever that may be, Except of course if he's with the OF or playing against us!! :wink: Mind you, remember that rumour some time ago of him going to Yams? At least we don't have to worry bout that!!

Who, Agogo was played deep?

nonshinyfinish
24-12-2011, 10:31 AM
It's cliched to be cynical at Christmas :agree:

:tee hee:

Kaiser1962
24-12-2011, 10:51 AM
If true O'Connor can GTF!

Lets wait till it's confirmed. Remember Liam Miller getting booed last year?

Minder
24-12-2011, 10:53 AM
If true, does this indicate the legal issues will now be dropped. :devil:

BEEJ
24-12-2011, 10:54 AM
:tee hee: Very good.

BEEJ
24-12-2011, 10:55 AM
:agree: Indeed!

PLEASE, let's not have a re-run of that embarrassing scenario.

Hibbie_Cameron
24-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Garry is not a sole striker. He needs someone like Brewster to play off.
He struggled first time around in that position so it should no surprise that he's struggling up front alone now.

I fancy Celtic to sign him however, he might bury his past allegances and grab the Bosch dosh.

:top marks

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-12-2011, 11:03 AM
I thought the Hun were pruning back their squad numbers.

I know that some of their support still have issues with wine grapes.

Golden Bear
24-12-2011, 11:05 AM

And even if it is confirmed then I hope he doesn't receive the same treatment that Gary Caldwell did.

It's a fact of life that cash is king and career progression is something that any competent footballer would wish to aspire to.

Aldo
24-12-2011, 11:07 AM
GOC is a Hibs player and will play in the formation that's suits the TEAM regardless. He has not had the best of weeks but has too dig deep and play for his teammates.

For me he was only ever going to sign a one year deal and put himself in the shop window. This is my opinion. on his game GOC is for me one of the best CF in the SPL. Nominal fee. 80 or so grand in Jan and he will be off, probably west.

East Coast Hibe
24-12-2011, 11:24 AM
GOC won't play today !

Golden Bear
24-12-2011, 11:26 AM
GOC won't play today !

Injured?

East Coast Hibe
24-12-2011, 11:32 AM
That will be the official line - I really don't know if he is or not

one day maybe...
24-12-2011, 11:33 AM
GOC won't play today !

Well I hope young Caldwell is bursting at the seams to play today :agree:

East Coast Hibe
24-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Griffiths will be up front on his own

steakbake
24-12-2011, 11:39 AM
There's a surprise!To be honest he hasn't looked interested for a wee while now. The curse of the "one of our own" song strikes again....

Yeah, a song which makes my toes curl. There's no such thing as a 'one of our own' in today's footie.

Ah well good luck, Gaz. You'll get that Scotland recall now.

Eyrie
24-12-2011, 11:39 AM
We won't get a nominal fee for him in January because of the legal problems hanging over him. He could be in jail come March, but out by the summer which means a precontract makes sense for the Huns.

In the meantime, Fenlon needs to look at how to get the best out of him or play someone else as the lone striker.

Keith_M
24-12-2011, 12:23 PM
GOC won't play today !

Injured?

That will be the official line - I really don't know if he is or not

Congrats!

A 'toe injury' apparently :wink:

keep the faith
24-12-2011, 12:58 PM
What Attitude?

He is playing in the worst Hibs team in living memory, the guy isn't Superman.

Give him a break, eh?

:agree: I dont buy the not trying thing. For me he has worked hard in an awful team.

Although I would have preferred him to sign on again to pay back our very public support of him. If he is then wanted by a bigger team we would get some cash.

Hibrandenburg
24-12-2011, 01:05 PM
He'll get my support everytime if pulls on the emerald jersey and get it tight if and when he turns up at ER in anything else. It's Hibs I support and not any players.

Beefster
24-12-2011, 01:20 PM
A lot of the rumours concerning Garry comes from Garry himself.

He is telling people that he is signing for Rangers.

Years ago he came into the Brig and told me he was signing for Rangers. A few days later he was up town drinking champagne telling people he had just signed for them.

Great guy but a legend in his own lunchtime.

Not to say he's not signing for them but I would take it with a pinch of salt.

He was in town claiming to be signing for Celtic at some point towards the end of his first spell too. As you say, no one rates O'Connor as much as he rates himself.

We'll still miss him when he goes though.

Speedway
24-12-2011, 01:23 PM
IF, true I would drop him now!

He started on fire and has dropped to a flicker, not good enough for starting.

Eddie Turnbull would have had him in the stand weeks ago!! :agree:

Eddie took us down.

Vini1875
24-12-2011, 04:43 PM
IMHO Garry coming to Hibs was a good deal for both parties, since we didn't know if he still had the goods. Garry needs a player with him and some decent service he has had neither recently and playing as a lone striker is no good for him. I don't think he has a bad attitude, but he does need some quality around him. The story regarding the huns is really just a 2+2 cos the huns will lose a striker. Give Garry a helping hand and he will score plenty of goals for us in the next 6 months. I'm hoping Doyle can be that man.

Baldy Foghorn
24-12-2011, 04:47 PM

I said he was immobile when he joined, my opinion of him has not changed.........

fatbloke
24-12-2011, 07:04 PM
That would be a re sultana half for him.

It would help prune the wage bill.

smurf
24-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Eddie took us down.

And players were signed he didn't want!

Www1875hfc
26-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Ive heard Middlesborough are also interested in Gary O.

Kaiser1962
26-12-2011, 11:08 AM
And players were signed he didn't want!

George Best.......

Eyrie
26-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Ive heard Middlesborough are also interested in Gary O.
Mowbray doing us a favour by letting us have a fee in January?

greenginger
26-12-2011, 11:54 AM
George Best.......

We were already bottom of the league when Best arrived . I think the problems lay with the players at the club Eddie did want. :confused:

007 Mickey Weir
26-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Mowbray doing us a favour by letting us have a fee in January?

Take 100k for him. Thanks for the goals and cheerio.

Use cash to tempt a couple Yams across from dark side. Hamill and Stevenson?

Also like to see us go for Murray Davidson, Dean Sheils (I know an ex-player but is would fit in as Attacking Midfielder), Gary Kenneth and maybe Davie Weir on a short term deal to captain the club.

Get Sparky on perm deal as I think Hibs are his level.

With Smith returning from loan I'd like to see him get a run as LB.

MrRobot
26-12-2011, 01:30 PM
If is true he can go **** himself. We stick by him during his alleged drug and fraud cases and he's ready to leave straight away. In all honesty I think hes gonna get the jail and since he has pleaded not guilty, his jail term will be worse.

Northernhibee
26-12-2011, 08:23 PM
If is true he can go **** himself. We stick by him during his alleged drug and fraud cases and he's ready to leave straight away. In all honesty I think hes gonna get the jail and since he has pleaded not guilty, his jail term will be worse.

Am on exactly the same side here. Looked as if he couldn't give a **** recently, he looks unfit, and can't even stand by the team who helped him out for the remainder of the season.

Bostonhibby
26-12-2011, 08:32 PM
If true, does this indicate the legal issues will now be dropped. :devil:

Masonic Fowk ken what goin on :wink:

nortonhibby
26-12-2011, 09:06 PM
:agree: I dont buy the not trying thing. For me he has worked hard in an awful team.

Although I would have preferred him to sign on again to pay back our very public support of him. If he is then wanted by a bigger team we would get some cash.

Cash RP Would rub his hands together.:cb

Septimus
27-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Masonic Fowk ken what goin on :wink:

Really?

steakbake
27-12-2011, 08:14 AM

From what some folk were saying from the AGM, Petrie implied that sticking by GOC was in the spirit of the original founders of the club - (have I got that right? - anyone who was there).

Whether he's off or not, I don't think his head is in the right place at all. He's not looked the same player for weeks now. Id hope that Fenlon if he is building a team around anyone who is there just now, is not building it around GoC. Whether jail, Ibrox or anywhere else, he's not going to be with us for much longer.

lucky
27-12-2011, 08:42 AM
FFS if you had two court case hanging over you and were facing the prospect of jail would you be able to focus at your work? The sensible thing for hibs is to not play him. There is no doubt GOC has talent but has not been focused on his footballing career since he left Hibs. He is just another bad boy of football where drink, drugs and partying mean more than football does to him.

tamig
27-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Take 100k for him. Thanks for the goals and cheerio.

Use cash to tempt a couple Yams across from dark side. Hamill and Stevenson?

Also like to see us go for Murray Davidson, Dean Sheils (I know an ex-player but is would fit in as Attacking Midfielder), Gary Kenneth and maybe Davie Weir on a short term deal to captain the club.

Get Sparky on perm deal as I think Hibs are his level.

With Smith returning from loan I'd like to see him get a run as LB.
There will be no fee. No fee is all part of the deal we signed GOC on. If he goes in Jan, he goes for nowt.

Peevemor
27-12-2011, 09:55 AM
There will be no fee. No fee is all part of the deal we signed GOC on. If he goes in Jan, he goes for nowt.

Do you know this as fact, or did you read it on here?

tamig
27-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Do you know this as fact, or did you read it on here?
I know it as a fact. If you search through some older threads I've been saying this since GOC signed. The deal is quite complex but it suits both player and club - or did at the time it was signed.

Peevemor
27-12-2011, 10:12 AM
I know it as a fact. If you search through some older threads I've been saying this since GOC signed. The deal is quite complex but it suits both player and club - or did at the time it was signed.

OK, cheers.

smurf
27-12-2011, 10:12 AM

A deal that wasn't even much of a quick fix? Hibs are being run like the Euro crisis. Let's just try and kick the can a little bit further down the road hoping that somehow it will work out. That's what deals like O'Connor and Sproule were.

matty_f
27-12-2011, 10:15 AM
A deal that wasn't even much of a quick fix? Hibs are being run like the Euro crisis. Let's just try and kick the can a little bit further down the road hoping that somehow it will work out. That's what deals like O'Connor and Sproule were.

IMHO if we can get players of the calibre of Stokes or O'Connor to the club for a season I'd far rather we did that than sign a Nish for three years. If it means being creative with agreeing deals then so be it.

smurf
27-12-2011, 10:21 AM
IMHO if we can get players of the calibre of Stokes or O'Connor to the club for a season I'd far rather we did that than sign a Nish for three years. If it means being creative with agreeing deals then so be it.

If its for a season I agree. But if its signing in August and being free to negotiate another deal in Nov/Dec to leave FOC in Jan then I don't think that's good at all.

Minder
27-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Really?

Aye ! They do know what is going on and going to happen..

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1515155234365&id=2cb0fcb254fd25ee9d976f3584ceb290&url=http%3a%2f%2fi560.photobucket.com%2falbums%2fs s45%2fSuspectDevice1968%2fJohnGreighandshake.jpg

tamig
27-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Hibs had an opportunity to sign a Premiership player for nothing. RP also wanted to help GOC to sort himself out and put himself back in the shop window. I'd be surprised if GOC left in Jan but the deal has pretty much panned out as planned. Sure the boy has dipped in form a bit of late but I think he's already proved that he can still hack it - certainly at SPL level anyway.

And btw, long term deals aren't really the common way any more in modern football. Unless you're one of the big boys down south with tons of cash to splash. I think we just need to get a real a bit at times. The days of Hibs - or any other non-OF club - in Scotland signing players on long term deals are gone for good imo.

smurf
27-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Hibs had an opportunity to sign a Premiership player for nothing. RP also wanted to help GOC to sort himself out and put himself back in the shop window. I'd be surprised if GOC left in Jan but the deal has pretty much panned out as planned. Sure the boy has dipped in form a bit of late but I think he's already proved that he can still hack it - certainly at SPL level anyway.

And btw, long term deals aren't really the common way any more in modern football. Unless you're one of the big boys down south with tons of cash to splash. I think we just need to get a real a bit at times. The days of Hibs - or any other non-OF club - in Scotland signing players on long term deals are gone for good imo.

Martin Scott might disagree!

Hibs07p
27-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Aye ! They do know what is going on and going to happen..

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1515155234365&id=2cb0fcb254fd25ee9d976f3584ceb290&url=http%3a%2f%2fi560.photobucket.com%2falbums%2fs s45%2fSuspectDevice1968%2fJohnGreighandshake.jpg

FFS that looks like Jock Stein, although it will probably be someone with a stupid name like Tiny Wharton.

tamig
27-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Martin Scott might disagree!

Aye, that was a very strange one. I meant signing players of proven quality. They won't want to commit for much more than two years.