PDA

View Full Version : Rangers to consider Terracing

Keith_M
23-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Link (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/rangers_consider_safe_standing_area_for_ibrox_1_20 23119)

OK, that's now both Rangers and Celtc interested.

What I want to know is,

A) Did Hibs lie to the fans when they said there was NO possibility of being allowed to have terracing in the newly built East Stand and they actually hadn't even asked?
OR
B) Is it the case that they told Hibs no and the authorities have rolled over to the OF now that they want it?

Either way, something stinks.

Andy74
23-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Link (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/rangers_consider_safe_standing_area_for_ibrox_1_20 23119)

What I want to know is,

A) Did Hibs lie to the fans when they said there was NO possibility of being allowed to have terracing in the newly built East Stand and they actually hadn't even asked?
OR
B) Is it the case that they told Hibs no and the authorities have rolled over to the OF now that they want it?

We built the stand some time ago now and this pilot was announced just last week.

JustSimplyHibs
23-12-2011, 12:35 PM

What I want to know is,

OR

Nothing stinks

With the state the old terrace area was in major repairs would have to have been carried out to get it upto a respectable standard, bearing in mind, Hibs had plans to build a new stand long before the terrace idea was even placed on the agenda at SFA or SPL HQ.

Think your looking for something that aint there. Lets concentrate on supporting the club in getting 3 points tomorrow :aok:

DC_Hibs
23-12-2011, 12:47 PM
We built the stand some time ago now and this pilot was announced just last week.

Indeed which is why I also am struggling to understand the OP's post....

MrSmith
23-12-2011, 01:00 PM
I think now would be an ideal time to fill in the corners! Four areas for standing space but controlled areas. All it would take would be extending the roof, back and some form of concrete type slope. Bet it would cost less than £2mil to do it all.

Andy74
23-12-2011, 01:02 PM
I think now would be an ideal time to fill in the corners! Four areas for standing space but controlled areas. All it would take would be extending the roof, back and some form of concrete type slope. Bet it would cost less than £2mil to do it all.

For what gain?

I think even converting a few of the current seats to safe standing wouldn't be worth the cost for us.

The_Exile
23-12-2011, 01:08 PM
At the time the stand was built it was not possible and probably never envisaged to be even suggested, Hibs were right in what they said at the time.

jacomo
23-12-2011, 01:28 PM
At the time the stand was built it was not possible and probably never envisaged to be even suggested, Hibs were right in what they said at the time.

Rubbish, I'm afraid. Bringing back standing areas in a safe and controlled manner was being widely discussed before Hibs committed to building the new East. I and many others mentioned it as part of the club's consultation exercise.

If Hibs have included no provision for reverse engineering standing areas for the East, then this is a failure of management. And not the only one in recent times, unfortunately.

LancashireHibby
23-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Rubbish, I'm afraid. Bringing back standing areas in a safe and controlled manner was being widely discussed before Hibs committed to building the new East. I and many others mentioned it as part of the club's consultation exercise.

If Hibs have included no provision for reverse engineering standing areas for the East, then this is a failure of management. And not the only one in recent times, unfortunately.

It was mentioned, but nobody thought there was any likelihood of it coming to fruition, something backed up by the apparent surprise from Strathclyde polis after last week's decision. The East would possibly be an unsuitable area to experiment it because of the sheer scale of the East Stand, but the FF Lower could be a potential option.

MrSmith
23-12-2011, 04:09 PM
For what gain?

I think even converting a few of the current seats to safe standing wouldn't be worth the cost for us.

Well fr starters: would finish of the stadium at a cheap price, four controlled standing areas - you gotta be hopeful of better days! Maybe stand 1500 per corner area?

just a thought ...

ScottB
23-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Why should the club have spent more money on building a stand to suit taking seats out of it for a then totally hypothetical reintroduction of standing?

For what it's worth, I can't imagine it being too much more than removing a few rows of seats, but on the other hand, is there a vast number of folk who currently don't go to games who will only go back if they can stand? Because if there isn't this will simply lose us money.

Big Frank
23-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Remove the seats at the bottom of the FF. The cost? Obtain another long term loan from STF. (personal fortune £160,000,000 and counting :thumbsup:). Over time it will pay for itself. No cost to Hibernian or STF. Increased atmosphere in the ground.

Happy days

CropleyWasGod
23-12-2011, 04:26 PM

TBH, I would prefer the cheaper option of curtains on all of the stands.

bod
23-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Surely all you have to do is put some sort of barrier above each seat about waist height that you can lean on,so the person behind you cant fall onto you.
Theres no need to remove any seats,youd just be standing instead of being seated

Highland Hibby
23-12-2011, 04:52 PM
I think it would be a great idea but it would be better doing it in the FF stand rather than the corners as then the increased atmosphere would be concentrated and not diluted by being split into 4 parts.

Keith_M
23-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Indeed which is why I also am struggling to understand the OP's post....

During the 'consultation exercise', we were told that any plans for terracing to be part of the build were NOT an option, because of SPL/SFA rules.

Now, my point is that either they didn't really ask or it's suddenly only OK to consider changing the rules because the OF are now interested in terracing.

My ideal rebuilt East Stand would have had two tiers with terracing in the lower tier, with around 4-5,000 standing places. We were told that wasn't an option so I'm wondering exactly what and how that situation has now changed.

jgl07
23-12-2011, 07:25 PM

Just what Hibs need is to spend money to expand the stadium and make the stands even emptier!

Don't delude yourself into thinking that such an operation would be inexpensive. Extending the roof will be very expensive

The police have yet to be consulted and agree to standing. It is much the same with the local authority.

Standing areas will certainly increase costs of policing and stewarding.

Standing spectators will expect to pay reduced admission charges.

So spend a lot of money to reduce income and make the ground appear emptier.

I bet Hibs are consulting the Architects at this very moment.

Bostonhibby
23-12-2011, 07:29 PM
For what gain?

:agree: Unless we had 4 multi millionaire fans willing to pay top dollar to stand on their own in each corner? We have a nice looking stadium but too big for our actual match day audience for a long while yet I fear. We need to stop spending on property and focus on the team now.

Andy74
23-12-2011, 07:34 PM
During the 'consultation exercise', we were told that any plans for terracing to be part of the build were NOT an option, because of SPL/SFA rules.

Now, my point is that either they didn't really ask or it's suddenly only OK to consider changing the rules because the OF are now interested in terracing.

My ideal rebuilt East Stand would have had two tiers with terracing in the lower tier, with around 4-5,000 standing places. We were told that wasn't an option so I'm wondering exactly what and how that situation has now changed.

It's suddenly okay because the clubs have now voted to run a pilot. Not really that tricky.

Standing ain't what it used to be in the safe standing areas. It would not being back all the attributes that made it interesting.

Holmesdale Hibs
23-12-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm all for it. We need to do everything we can to bring fans back to the games. We could easily remove some seats and
sell the same amount of tickets for standing. We could easily do it safely. Don't know of it would work but we need to try everything we can to bring fans back to ER.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Only need to extend 3 corners.
The fourth will house the jumbo tv after the Olympics when the council will have no use for it.

Beefster
23-12-2011, 09:00 PM
If Hibs pay to bring back standing, I'll piss down someone's back for free. The complete experience.

HTH.

lucky
23-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Just cos the SPL have said it was ok does not its going to happen. Council officials and police won't be to keen on this. But would it surprise any one if the new community stadium had 3 terraces and 1 stand.

Liberal Hibby
23-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Most of the issues around standing could be solved by the simple expediency - like they have at Swansea - of a mixed area - seasons and walk ups - that doesn't involve numbered seats. It means those who go every week stay with a mix of their mates - some of whom can't be there every time because of work, distance or sloth.

heretoday
23-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Rangers can go and **** themselves.

monktonharp
23-12-2011, 11:19 PM
My ideal rebuilt East Stand would have had two tiers with terracing in the lower tier, with around 4-5,000 standing places. We were told that wasn't an option so I'm wondering exactly what and how that situation has now changed.:agree: I could never understand how some mythical "fans respresentive meeting/forum with HFC board" agreed that the best,cheapest,quickest option was to build a single tier stand. It is far to steep, for a start, and was never going to create even half the atmoshere generated in the auld east, where the biggest majority stood , on the bloody seats, never mind just on their feet! a two tier,with the possible standing lower area, was the logical option. imho, but nowt can happen there now so the ff lower is the only possible. cannae see the frumpy buggers in the west lower agreeing to a trial , certainly the ones around me!

jgl07
24-12-2011, 01:46 AM
:agree: I could never understand how some mythical "fans respresentive meeting/forum with HFC board" agreed that the best,cheapest,quickest option was to build a single tier stand. It is far to steep, for a start, and was never going to create even half the atmoshere generated in the auld east, where the biggest majority stood , on the bloody seats, never mind just on their feet! a two tier,with the possible standing lower area, was the logical option. imho, but nowt can happen there now so the ff lower is the only possible. cannae see the frumpy buggers in the west lower agreeing to a trial , certainly the ones around me!

Spot on. A two-tier East might have been constructed bin such a way as to make a standing area possible. The design of the East makes it impossible to have standing anywhere without converting the lot.

Any conversion of the FF lower would entail relocating a large number of season ticket holdersand causing real disruption.

How many want to stand anyway? I suspect that most who do already stand.

Probably the only grounds capable of introducing standing areas are Ibrox, Parkhead and Tynecastle. In all cases this would be the old paddock area in from of the main stand. These areas were designed for standing in the first place and could be converted albeit at a cost.

In any event it is only been approved for a trial period. What happens if millions are spent in conversion and the stands have to be converted back if the trial does not go well?

The cost would certainly rule out Ibrox and Tynecastle given the 'financial situation' of the clubs. Would Glasgow City Council and Strathclyde Police be happy to see Celtic go it alone on this one?

The whole thing is a publicity stunt by the SPL to try and prove they are 'giving the fans what they ask for'. They will shrug their shoulders if the clubs fail to run with this one or it is torpedoed by the Police or Local Authorities.

DC_Hibs
24-12-2011, 06:58 AM
The design of the East makes it impossible to have standing anywhere without converting the lot.

How so? I go to games in Germany every week and there are a variety of different standing areas on one tier and two tier stands:

Could we not do this at one end of the east for example?
http://stadiumdb.com/pictures/stadiums/ger/coface_arena/coface_arena06.jpg

or this:
http://footballgrounds1.zoomshare.com/album/Germany/images/6945b470852e3f46392d5d6d9ca28e37_12804136590/thumb.jpg
seats to the left, right and above on one tier at same level

can even have top tier standing like in away end at hannover with seats below
http://ultras-frankfurt.de/galerie/0910/26_hannover/08.jpg

top tier seats and standing below like the famous five option are ten a penny and most likely for us perhaps?

There are plenty options so it can happen....if Hibs are willing to shell out after completing the stadium based on the previous rules.

I've no idea why folk are raising the filling in the corners pipedream once more. we were told before that the costs for filling corners are massive and we already have a 20k stadium we are nowhere near filling so why go to even more cost??

People have asked if the East is too steep - not sure if it's any steeper than Dresden's away end which was built around 3 years ago
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pMH5tRjD7vU/TFV0nG37QlI/AAAAAAAAAo8/_bnoaYdPgjY/s1600/P1010714.JPG