PDA

View Full Version : Players we lost out on

big-mo
23-12-2011, 11:10 AM
With the news that Agogo and Thornhill have been told they can leave the club, I was thinking of players who we have released that have gone on to be a success with other clubs.
I initially thought about Dean Shiels and Paul Hartley who, IMO, ended up better players with other clubs, but on checking we actually got transfer fees for both of them so I don't think they count as being released.

Rangers released Scott Brown as a youngster saying 'he was too small to make it', I bet that is one they regret.

Which Hibs players can you think of that we lost out on by releasing them too soon or by not managing them correctly?

Hibercelona
23-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Which Hibs players can you think of that we lost out on by releasing them too soon or by not managing them correctly?

About 90% of the players we release. They always come back to bite us on the a**e. :boo hoo:

HibsNutter
23-12-2011, 11:17 AM
It looks like Ricardo Vaz Te will be another one, unfortunately.

Andy74
23-12-2011, 11:20 AM
About 90% of the players we release. They always come back to bite us on the a**e. :boo hoo:

Maybe the odd game some of them have but there are very few that we've actually released as opposed to sold in recent years who have gone on to do anything better in the game.

Hartley and Dobbie would be the obvious ones but both deserved to go at the time.

frazeHFC
23-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Clayton Donaldson
David Proctor and Kirk Broadfoot (good RBs)

The_Exile
23-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Unfortunately we have a support that demands instant success, if you're not up to scratch right away you can bet you'll be hounded out of Edinburgh, examples? Dobbie, Murray's first season, dunno why he bothered to stick around with the abuse he got, Hartley, Shelton Martis..........ok ok I'm on the wind up now.......HUMPHREY RUDGE

BEEJ
23-12-2011, 11:37 AM
David Platt? :dunno:

Or did we just not take up an opportunity to sign him as a youngster? I can't recall.

John Robertson?

Andy74
23-12-2011, 11:38 AM
David Platt? :dunno:

Or did we just not take up an opportunity to sign him as a youngster? I can't recall.

John Robertson?

We had a bid for Platt turned down and didn't increase it. He then went on to Villa.

Robbo and Strachan are a couple from the past we've had as kids.

Kammy1875
23-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Hartley.
Stephen Dobbie.
Kirk Broadfoot.
Earl Jean. :greengrin

Kaiser1962
23-12-2011, 11:42 AM
We had a bid for Platt turned down and didn't increase it. He then went on to Villa.

We did increase it and got in a bit of a bidding war with Villa. It became clear that whatever Hibs bid Villa bid more and it became clear the player wanted to go to Villa.

Kaiser_Sauzee
23-12-2011, 11:45 AM
We did increase it and got in a bit of a bidding war with Villa. It became clear that whatever Hibs bid Villa bid more and it became clear the player wanted to go to Villa.

When we got Archibald, did we not outbid Liverpool or something along those lines? I seem to remember Liverpool wanted him too.

The_Exile
23-12-2011, 11:45 AM
David Trezeguet, but the legend goes that Duffy told them he had already got 2 good strikers in Lee Power and Paul Tosh so didn't need another, aye, good one Jim, good one.

Kaiser1962
23-12-2011, 11:51 AM
When we got Archibald, did we not outbid Liverpool or something along those lines? I seem to remember Liverpool wanted him too.

Different days back then.

And we nearly went out of existence.

James70
23-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Ronnie Rosenthal - Did he not play in a trial match for us?

SteveHFC
23-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Allan McGregor
Darren Fletcher
Steven Naismith
Daniel Braaten
Adam Hammill

Some of the players we tried to sign.

The_Exile
23-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Allan McGregor
Darren Fletcher
Steven Naismith
Daniel Braaten
Adam Hammill

Some of the players we tried to sign.

Legend on Football Manager, actually thought he was a made up player!!! Never mind us trying to sign him. Did we ever try to sign Darren Fletcher? I know he had already signed for United while he was still playing for Dalkeith.

SteveHFC
23-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Legend on Football Manager, actually thought he was a made up player!!! Never mind us trying to sign him. Did we ever try to sign Darren Fletcher? I know he had already signed for United while he was still playing for Dalkeith.

Former Hibs scout John Park has revealed how they missed out on Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher.

"They all find their path," Park shrugged in conversation with the Sunday Mail. "You get a guy like Darren Fletcher we had at Hibs for a year but Alex McLeish and I just couldn't get him signed.

"He was a dream and we knew he'd go to the top."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/hibs-tried-sign-man-utds-fletcher-park-359581

allezsauzee
23-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Alan O'Brien

The_Exile
23-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Former Hibs scout John Park has revealed how they missed out on Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher.

"They all find their path," Park shrugged in conversation with the Sunday Mail. "You get a guy like Darren Fletcher we had at Hibs for a year but Alex McLeish and I just couldn't get him signed.

Pal of mine played against him while he was at Dalkeith, said he stuck out like a sore thumb, players couldn't get near him, he must have known there were big English clubs sniffing around, good decision from him no to sign for us! :greengrin

MoscowHibs
23-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Seem to recall Willie Pettigrew was punted in the early 70's as not being good enough ie: no hibs class. More or less went on tae score a goal every 2 games.About the same time as Strachan was punted .

Green&White
23-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Pal of mine played against him while he was at Dalkeith, said he stuck out like a sore thumb, players couldn't get near him, he must have known there were big English clubs sniffing around, good decision from him no to sign for us! :greengrin

I went to school in dalkeith with him and played a few lunch time and P.E kick abouts with him. was utter class. altho at the time everyone was certain one neil janczyk was better and was going to go on and be a world beater. then he joined hearts.............

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Makalamby

SteveHFC
23-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I went to school in dalkeith with him and played a few lunch time and P.E kick abouts with him. was utter class. altho at the time everyone was certain one neil janczyk was better and was going to go on and be a world beater. then he joined hearts.............

He runs an Ice Cream Van around Mayfield now still i think. :greengrin

AlbertK86
23-12-2011, 02:50 PM

My recollection is we bid 200k crewe said we could have him for 225k but Alex Miller said he wasn't worth that !! About three moths later Villa signed him for the 225k. Nowt ever changes !!

Andy74
23-12-2011, 02:54 PM
My recollection is we bid 200k crewe said we could have him for 225k but Alex Miller said he wasn't worth that !! About three moths later Villa signed him for the 225k. Nowt ever changes !!

That's what I recall too.

superfurryhibby
23-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Not sure if we ever came close to signing him but the late "Slim" Jim Baxter grew up as a Hibs fan. Jimmy Souness (dad of Graeme) was released and went on to win the league with Hearts. One could also argue that Gordon Smith wasn't managed properly at the tail end of his career. Released to Hearts, wins League and League cup and then on to Dundee for another League badge.

One that got away was Iain Munro. Swapped to the HUns for two duds (SCott and Fyfe). He went on to have a long and varied career, in the SPL and English First Division, also winning Scottish caps. The two we picked up were utter gash!

frazeHFC
23-12-2011, 03:16 PM
So we had Darren Fletcher at one point! Glad we never got him, too injury prone. :cool2:

Hibeesmad
23-12-2011, 03:57 PM
With the news that Agogo and Thornhill have been told they can leave the club, I was thinking of players who we have released that have gone on to be a success with other clubs.
I initially thought about Dean Shiels and Paul Hartley who, IMO, ended up better players with other clubs, but on checking we actually got transfer fees for both of them so I don't think they count as being released.

Rangers released Scott Brown as a youngster saying
'he was too small to make it', I bet that is one they regret.

Danny swanson!

Callum_62
23-12-2011, 06:51 PM

Thats not true.

When Celtic never put a team in the initiative league, we essentially folded, and alot of us came over to Hibs, including our manager.

The set up was an absolute shamble - im unsure Darren even played a game tbh.

He was already "signed" by Man U long before this....altho, 'legally' he couldn't sign till he was 16

Fletch was always a standout from under 10's onwards - but not head and shoulders above everyone I played with....difference being, he had an engine that would never die, and worked 110% everygame

Bostonhibby
23-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Alan O'Brien

:agree: but only because he was too quick, the ball was irrelevant :greengrin

Bostonhibby
23-12-2011, 06:58 PM

So if we'd offered 4 moths , or maybe just one butterfly to match their 3 moths we'd have got him - typical Petrie.

Seriously I remember this well and there was a pretty strong suggestion we'd actually done a deal before Villa improved the offer, he'd apparently got as far as the photo opportunity being lined up.

BoltonHibee
23-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Frank Farina. If memory serves me right a poster on here tried all he could to get Hibs to sign him, all to no avail. I think he then headed over to Belgium to start his European career

Part/Time Supporter
23-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Not sure if we ever came close to signing him but the late "Slim" Jim Baxter grew up as a Hibs fan. Jimmy Souness (dad of Graeme) was released and went on to win the league with Hearts. One could also argue that Gordon Smith wasn't managed properly at the tail end of his career. Released to Hearts, wins League and League cup and then on to Dundee for another League badge.

One that got away was Iain Munro. Swapped to the HUns for two duds (SCott and Fyfe). He went on to have a long and varied career, in the SPL and English First Division, also winning Scottish caps. The two we picked up were utter gash!

As did Alan Gilzean (Dundee / Spurs). Says in a recent book that Dundee, Spurs and Hibs are the three results he looks out for now.

McIntosh
23-12-2011, 07:22 PM

It is correct that we bid £200k and we actually increased it to 225k but DP had already been tapped up by Villa and Dario Gradi cleverly used Hibs to drive the price up. Top bloke.

Kaiser1962
23-12-2011, 07:41 PM

Dougie Cromb told me different. He said we tried really hard to get him and Miller was almost paranoid about keeping the dealings under wraps in case someone else got him. DC said we only gave up when it became clear he was going to Villa come what may.

Eyrie
23-12-2011, 07:41 PM
From memory we made three bids for Platt - £100k, £150k and £200k before we realised we were being used.

At least the money didn't go to waste and we brought in Gareth Evans instead.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-12-2011, 08:31 PM
So if we'd offered 4 moths , or maybe just one butterfly to match their 3 moths we'd have got him - typical Petrie.

Seriously I remember this well and there was a pretty strong suggestion we'd actually done a deal before Villa improved the offer, he'd apparently got as far as the photo opportunity being lined up.

Eh? The history of the story that has been quoted sounds about right so far, not sure whats going on now!

eastmainsmsh
24-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Eh? The history of the story that has been quoted sounds about right so far, not sure whats going on now!
márc libbrá was
super. dider agathe as Well mcleish With advice from sauzee brought some cracking french players

Baldy
24-12-2011, 06:46 AM
not so much lost out on, but let go ...

Craig Brewster

Peevemor
24-12-2011, 06:52 AM

I'm with you. I also remember pretty clearly what went on and I'm sure the words that were used were that Hibs/Crewe/Platt has "shaken hands" on a deal - only we were gazumped by Villa at the last minute. Hiibs weren't even given a chance to increase their offer.

Peevemor
24-12-2011, 06:59 AM
not so much lost out on, but let go ...

Craig Brewster

We didn't really let him go. Dunfermiline offered '(a lot) more money than Hibs were willing to so he went there. Dunfermline later nearly went out of business.

Baldy
24-12-2011, 08:33 AM
We didn't really let him go. Dunfermiline offered '(a lot) more money than Hibs were willing to so he went there. Dunfermline later nearly went out of business.

we did let him go, he had been offered a new contract by Hibs at 50% of what he was on at the time, he would of re-signed on the same terms but Hibs or should that be Blobby Williamson didn't really rate him.

the Pars then offered him the same money that he was on at Hibs and he went there, it was only later that they then gave him a huge pay rise and longer contract

it was no coincidence that he got injured 2 weeks before Sauzee took over and we never won a game until he was then fit again