PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon for team GB?

MontrealHibs
23-12-2011, 07:40 AM
What's the chances? Scotland U21 captain.... u23 side.... :wink:

H18sry
23-12-2011, 08:07 AM
I hope no Scottish players accepts the invitation to play for team GB, it will be to the detriment of our national's side independence, as UEFA and FIFA are not to be trusted when they say it will not make a difference, they hate the fact that GB has 4 votes on all there committee's, and this would be there first step at disbanding the home nations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3to7MoGHBE&feature=player_embedded :thumbsup:

Broken Gnome
23-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Steven Fletcher should play. No one else.

Golden Bear
23-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Steven Fletcher should play. No one else.

No sooner said than done.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/291576/Olympics-call-for-Steven-Fletcher

micka_weer
23-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Would hate to see any Scot even touching a team GB shirt let alone play in one. Would break my heart to see any Hibs player past or present playing for them

lucky
23-12-2011, 11:01 AM
I hope its a truly British side with players from the 4 home nations. It would great to see a hibbie or ex hibbie part of the side chasing a gold medal on behalf of our country

Malthibby
23-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Players seeking personal glory at the expense of the country (that's Scotland, by the way). Makes me sick.

Hibercelona
23-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Players seeking personal glory at the expense of the country (that's Scotland, by the way). Makes me sick.

Wouldn't matter if any Hibs players end up in the GB squad then. We all know that none of them will get near the Scotland squad as long as that flump is in charge. :rolleyes:

KWJ
23-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Was thinking Fletcher would be in the running for an English call up now had he not played for Scotland. Levein needs to get his head out of his arse.

.Sean.
23-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Folk need to get over the fact Scots might play for a GB side.

The_Exile
23-12-2011, 11:26 AM
What's the problem with a team GB for the olympics? We'll never lose the Scotland national team so what's the big deal? For what it's worth I don't think football should be an Olympic sport but that's neither here nor there.

PaulSmith
23-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Was thinking Fletcher would be in the running for an English call up now had he not played for Scotland. Levein needs to get his head out of his arse.

You mean a GB call up surely?

On the whole GB thing, we as a nation do need to decide what we want to be...either truely independent or part of the UK.

That way we don't have this in the middle nonsense that we have.

Would you swap the Scottish national team for a full UK team and Hibs competing in a full UK club league? Interesting thought.

Part/Time Supporter
23-12-2011, 11:39 AM
You mean a GB call up surely?

On the whole GB thing, we as a nation do need to decide what we want to be...either truely independent or part of the UK.

That way we don't have this in the middle nonsense that we have.

Would you swap the Scottish national team for a full UK team and Hibs competing in a full UK club league? Interesting thought.

No, he means that if Fletcher hadn't played for Scotland in a competitive game he would still be eligible to play for England (as he was born there). With his form for Wolves over the last year (when fit) he would be there or thereabouts for selection, given that England don't have that many top class strikers really.

The_Exile
23-12-2011, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't swap either of those things, I love Hibs and I love Scotland and I love our independence (football wise), but I sure as hell don't have any problem whatsoever with a GB Olympics Team, and I don't see any risk in doing it, what is the downside?

H18sry
23-12-2011, 11:44 AM
What's the problem with a team GB for the olympics? We'll never lose the Scotland national team so what's the big deal? For what it's worth I don't think football should be an Olympic sport but that's neither here nor there.

How can you be so sure? As I have said in my post UEFA and Fifa want 1 team representing GB at all competitions, world cup and the likes and this will be the first thing that they will start with to get there way. Remember they use underhand tactic's all the time so why should we trust them?

The_Exile
23-12-2011, 11:47 AM
UEFA and Fifa want 1 team representing GB at all competitions

When and where did they say this? It just wouldn't happen, there's no way this would happen, ever!

Jones28
23-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Really don't get all this hatred for Britain competing in the Olympics as a whole.

Chris Hoy is Scottish (a Hearts fan) but competes in a BRITISH Olympic cycling team, why do folk have such a problem when it comes to football?

If there were rules that stated there had to be a minimum of 2 players per the 4 British nations then why not?

Wales: Gareth Bale, Ryan Giggs
Ireland: Antony Stokes, Kevin Doyle
Scotland: Steven and Darren Fletcher

Whats with all the hatred of Britain achieving something in the Olympics?

The_Exile
23-12-2011, 11:49 AM
It's clearly entirely to do with Politics rather than Sport, that ******* sickens me.

H18sry
23-12-2011, 11:50 AM
When and where did they say this? It just wouldn't happen, there's no way this would happen, ever!

It is well known, that's what they want with the emergence of all the other Euro nation's gaining independence they have too many teams, and as we are not an independent nation they want us to play as GB.

The_Exile
23-12-2011, 12:00 PM
It is well known, that's what they want with the emergence of all the other Euro nation's gaining independence they have too many teams, and as we are not an independent nation they want us to play as GB.

Even FIFA couldn't get away with chucking almost 200 years of history in the bin.

Sir David Gray
23-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Really don't get all this hatred for Britain competing in the Olympics as a whole.

Chris Hoy is Scottish (a Hearts fan) but competes in a BRITISH Olympic cycling team, why do folk have such a problem when it comes to football?

If there were rules that stated there had to be a minimum of 2 players per the 4 British nations then why not?

Think you may have opened up a few can of worms with the bit in bold. :wink:

Pretty Boy
23-12-2011, 12:04 PM

I think the Irish may not be too happy being labeled British!!

There are also 4 Welsh players who.should be involved, bearing in mind no one involved in the Euros will be selected, Wayne Hennessey should be one of the keepers, Gigghs, Bale and Ramsey.

Anyway I saw the Team GB strip for the first time in the flesh today and its honking. However I have no issue with any player that chooses to wear it

Pretty Boy
23-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Think you may have opened up a few can of worms with the bit in bold. :wink:

No can of worms really. Ireland (Republic of) is an independent nation. Northern Ireland is part of the UK. Therefore no Irish players should, or will, play for Team GB.

lucky
23-12-2011, 12:09 PM

Both FIFA and UEFA have both publicly stated that a GB Olympic team does not impact on the 4 FA's being members of either organisation. Some are playing a political game when this about football. The sfa membership is not under threat. To claim otherwise is being untruthful

H18sry
23-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Both FIFA and UEFA have both publicly stated that a GB Olympic team does not impact on the 4 FA's being members of either organisation. Some are playing a political game when this about football. The sfa membership is not under threat. To claim otherwise is being untruthful

Do you believe what they organization's spout? they are as crooked as witches crook ? I would rather not take the chance.

Golden Bear
23-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Do you believe what they organization's spout? they are as crooked as witches crook ? I would rather not take the chance.

:agree:

I totally agree.

Hooks, crooks and comic singers the lot of them.

greenlex
23-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Cannae really see The English FA giving up easily to be honest. Or the Scots Welsh and Norn Ireland for that matter.

Sir David Gray
23-12-2011, 12:30 PM
No can of worms really. Ireland (Republic of) is an independent nation. Northern Ireland is part of the UK. Therefore no Irish players should, or will, play for Team GB.

What I meant was that any of our Irish friends looking in on this thread may not be too happy at being labelled "British".

I know the ROI is an independent nation and NI is part of the UK. :greengrin

Broken Gnome
23-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Even FIFA couldn't get away with chucking almost 200 years of history in the bin.

This. If the home nation FA's oppose it, then it won't happen. Ever. Even attempting to do it would take a years of and years of negotiation.

One Day Soon
23-12-2011, 01:22 PM

We have a quota of obsessed SNP members/voters on this board who will take every opportunity to have a kick at anything British they can. The tartan wallpaper in their living rooms must cause hellish headaches.

Broken Gnome
23-12-2011, 01:34 PM
We have a quota of obsessed SNP members/voters on this board who will take every opportunity to have a kick at anything British they can. The tartan wallpaper in their living rooms must cause hellish headaches.

It's not hatred in all cases, its just quite difficult to fabricate support for what is essentially a one-off made up 'nation' in footballing terms, with heavy emphasis on players that by and large mean or represent nothing to sizeable percentage of the UK. Europe in the Ryder Cup, the Lions tests' and UK as an Olympic athletic team are all established and renowned. A British football side couldn't be further from that standing.

Jim44
23-12-2011, 01:46 PM
If the SFA is discouraging Scottish players from taking part with team GB in the Olympics, are they going to impose a ban or other sanction on any 'offenders'?

Sir David Gray
23-12-2011, 02:20 PM
It's not hatred in all cases, its just quite difficult to fabricate support for what is essentially a one-off made up 'nation' in footballing terms, with heavy emphasis on players that by and large mean or represent nothing to sizeable percentage of the UK. Europe in the Ryder Cup, the Lions tests' and UK as an Olympic athletic team are all established and renowned. A British football side couldn't be further from that standing.

Except it's not "UK as an Olympic athletic team". Team GB represents every single British sportsman and woman who competes at the Olympics and Paralympics, whether they're competing in Athletics, Volleyball or, in this case, Football.

You can debate the rights and wrongs of football being an Olympic sport until the cows come home but the fact remains that it is in the Olympics. A British football team will probably never be put forward again, it's purely because the Olympics are being held in the UK next year and they want to have the hosts being represented in the football competition.

You refer to the UK as being a "one-off made up nation", albeit in football terms, as being one of the reasons why you don't support a British football team at the 2012 Olympics, however you go on to suggest that you have no problem with Europe competing in the Ryder Cup.

I'm pretty sure that the UK is more of a country than Europe, at least at the moment anyway, as I'm sure politicians in Brussels would love to reverse that fact. But I guess that's another discussion altogether!

I really don't see any serious problem with the existence of a British football team during the 2012 Olympics.

bod
23-12-2011, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=H18sry;3045993]I hope no Scottish players accepts the invitation to play for team GB, it will be to the detriment of our national's side independence, as UEFA and FIFA are not to be trusted when they say it will not make a difference, they hate the fact that GB has 4 votes on all there committee's, and this would be there first step at disbanding the home nations.

add the fact that the African countries are crying out for more african nations qualifying for the world cup.They cant understand how the 1 passport 1 country rule doesnt apply to the home nations

Albion Hibs
23-12-2011, 03:07 PM
I would think there is one chance of Hanlon getting called up for such a team, and that is no chance. I am sure there is plenty of other players they would go through before he got a call up.

I would think the likes of Adam, Fletcher, and McGregor maybe have a chance.

Broken Gnome
23-12-2011, 04:03 PM
You refer to the UK as being a "one-off made up nation", albeit in football terms, as being one of the reasons why you don't support a British football team at the 2012 Olympics, however you go on to suggest that you have no problem with Europe competing in the Ryder Cup.

I'm pretty sure that the UK is more of a country than Europe, at least at the moment anyway, as I'm sure politicians in Brussels would love to reverse that fact. But I guess that's another discussion altogether!

I really don't see any serious problem with the existence of a British football team during the 2012 Olympics.

I don't see a great problem either in this instance, given we're hosting the thing but the logic that people should muster some reason to support them is as skewed as the logic that Scots should be hung, drawn and quartered for considering participation.

The Ryder Cup is Europe vs America. I can't imagine anyone that does have a problem with that, and it doesn't particularly matter if it's continental or not; it's tradition, it works, and it's been going on for god knows how long. In that sense, Europe has a large support and is united. It's got it's own place in sporting folklore. Football on the other hand is is ever so slighlty more tribal than golf, where it's not that common that rivalry can be put aside for a one off get together. People might have their own reasons for opposing Team GB that probably verge a little too far to anti-English sentiment in some cases. At the same time, football is undeniably very different to every other Olympic sport and has no history or future as a united British sport. Hence the fact that Dai Greene would receive a hell of a lot of backing in a 400m hurdles final yet people might not be greatly enthusiastic over a route one goal launched long by Joe Hart, laid off by Daniel Sturridge and scored by Aaron Ramsey. Why should we? It's football, we want Hibs to win the cup and Scotland to qualify for a World Cup again, or whatever ambitions a country might have. No one grows up thinking of the street parties we can all have if Britain win an U23 tournament at Wembley.

Part/Time Supporter
23-12-2011, 04:07 PM

Of course no pro-Union politicians would ever dream of using the Olympics to promote British identity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-16315174

Midlothian's Provost wants huge Olympic rings mounted on the side of a Pentland Hill beside Britain's longest dry ski slope.

Adam Montgomery has written a letter to Games chief Lord Sebastian Coe offering to host the Olympic rings at Midlothian Snowsports Centre at Hillend.

The rings would be visible from Edinburgh, West Lothian, Fife and East Lothian as well as from planes.

Saorsa
23-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Both FIFA and UEFA have both publicly stated that a GB Olympic team does not impact on the 4 FA's being members of either organisation. Some are playing a political game when this about football. The sfa membership is not under threat. To claim otherwise is being untruthfulUntruthful? and you'd take Sepp Blatter & Co. at their word would you? :hilarious (He's about as honest as you posting about canvas returns) I wouldnae trust them/him as far as I could throw a grand piano. Risking SCOTLAND's international status for the sake of a few scabby U23 internationals at the olympics? No thanks. Probably wouldnae bother you right enough.

Mikey
23-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Most definitely. It would save waning Scottish clubs in an instant.

Sir David Gray
23-12-2011, 04:45 PM
the fact that the African countries are crying out for more african nations qualifying for the world cup.They cant understand how the 1 passport 1 country rule doesnt apply to the home nations

There are other non-independent, sovereign states that have their own football teams, recognised by FIFA.

I can think of;

Macau
Guam
Hong Kong
Chinese Taipei
Palestine
Faroe Islands
New Caledonia
Tahiti
American Samoa
Cook Islands
Montserrat
Anguilla
Turks and Caicos Islands
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
US Virgin Islands
Puerto Rico
Bermuda

Granted, none of those teams quite have the standing within the game that the Home Nations have but I really don't think they'll be disbanded if Team GB competes in the Olympics.

steakbake
23-12-2011, 04:49 PM

Yeah, it does. But it's not nearly as painful as a Scottish cringe.

Saorsa
23-12-2011, 04:51 PM
We have a quota of obsessed SNP members/voters on this board who will take every opportunity to have a kick at anything British they can. The tartan wallpaper in their living rooms must cause hellish headaches.Still bitter about the last Scottish election then? Nah, you were bitter before that :bye:

down-the-slope
23-12-2011, 06:22 PM
No need to worry - we won't be part of UK for much longer :worms:

Bostonhibby
23-12-2011, 06:44 PM
There are other non-independent, sovereign states that have their own football teams, recognised by FIFA.

I can think of;

Macau
Guam
Hong Kong
Chinese Taipei
Palestine
Faroe Islands
New Caledonia
Tahiti
American Samoa
Cook Islands
Montserrat
Anguilla
Turks and Caicos Islands
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
US Virgin Islands
Puerto Rico
Bermuda

Granted, none of those teams quite have the standing within the game that the Home Nations have but I really don't think they'll be disbanded if Team GB competes in the Olympics.

Having carefully studied the list, I would put Scotland down for a draw against American Samoa but hard pushed to say we'd get anything from the rest, except maybe Anguilla but that's because I don't know who, where or what Anguilla are:wink:.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-12-2011, 07:01 PM
I don't think that football is an Olympic sport tbh, but I cant help but be a wee bit cynical and say that factions in the EFA will want to host a big footie tournament here so that they can lay a foundation for a World Cup bid because they won't ever win it on foreign soil.

One Day Soon
23-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Of course no pro-Union politicians would ever dream of using the Olympics to promote British identity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-16315174

PTS, I can see how sticking giant Olympic rings on the Pentlands would a) promote the Olympics and b) make the Pentlands look horrible. Unless the Olympic rings were coloured in with the Union Jack I'm at a loss to see how that would 'promote British identity'. Please explain.

One Day Soon
23-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Yeah, it does. But it's not nearly as painful as a Scottish cringe.

The two conditions must be related in some way because you tend to find most Nats manifest both. I suspect its the way they weirdly define their Scottishness by reference to what they are not - ie English or British - that causes it.

I'm comfortable being Scottish and British.

Part/Time Supporter
23-12-2011, 07:49 PM
PTS, I can see how sticking giant Olympic rings on the Pentlands would a) promote the Olympics and b) make the Pentlands look horrible. Unless the Olympic rings were coloured in with the Union Jack I'm at a loss to see how that would 'promote British identity'. Please explain.

It's clearly part of an effort on the part of some politicians (and the organising committee) to establish the idea that the London Olympics are somehow a pan-British thing, "something for the whole nation [sic] to celebrate". When the reality is that Scotland is being well and truly shafted both in the funding and the rewards of the Olympics.

http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/business-opinion/bill-jamieson/london_olympics_2012_running_rings_around_scots_1_ 1975586

Bostonhibby
23-12-2011, 07:52 PM
The two conditions must be related in some way because you tend to find most Nats manifest both. I suspect its the way they weirdly define their Scottishness by reference to what they are not - ie English or British - that causes it.

:agree: Patriotic Scot definitely, Nationalistic Scot never, the value of a truly united GB and economy has never been more obvious than when a single Scottish Bank ran out of money, Salmond saw no publicity in it so kept his heid right doon and UK plc did the rest :offski:

One Day Soon
23-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Still bitter about the last Scottish election then? Nah, you were bitter before that :bye:

Not really, why? Is this how you react to contrary opinions?

Your comment is revealing though, I don't think your real issue here is protecting Scottish international football so much as it is using the Olympics to try and stir up some anti-GB sentiment in the SNP cause.

There's not a shred of evidence to suggest FIFA are intent on forcing the nations of the UK to play as a single team. If you have any please post it. In fact the reverse is true. They have been categoric that having a team GB in the Olympics will have no relationship to the wider football theatre.

steakbake
23-12-2011, 08:10 PM

I'm comfortable with you being comfortable with that. Have a happy Christmas ODS, may 2012 bring you health and happiness.

One Day Soon
23-12-2011, 08:14 PM
It's clearly part of an effort on the part of some politicians (and the organising committee) to establish the idea that the London Olympics are somehow a pan-British thing, "something for the whole nation [sic] to celebrate". When the reality is that Scotland is being well and truly shafted both in the funding and the rewards of the Olympics.

http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/business-opinion/bill-jamieson/london_olympics_2012_running_rings_around_scots_1_ 1975586

Your link doesn't work for some reason.

I can't see in what sense you think "Scotland is being well and truly shafted" by the London Olympics. Even if that were the case then Leeds, Liverpool and Birmingham, for example, are presumably being equally shafted. Ie this is not simply a case of Scotland being done in by the Union though many like to play it that way.

Hainan Hibs
23-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't see how any true Scotsman could stand to God Save the Queen and have Stuart Pearce as manager.

However, it will be great opportunity to see who are the true Scotsmen and who are not.

Any Scot who turns out for Team GB will be getting booed tae **** by me:agree:

P.S With the issue of the Falkland Islands on the rise again it would be fantastic to see the Argies slam a few past "GB" on it's on patch.

hibee81
23-12-2011, 08:17 PM
not good enough for me at the moment, but only time will tell

One Day Soon
23-12-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm comfortable with you being comfortable with that. Have a happy Christmas ODS, may 2012 bring you health and happiness.

Cheers SB. The same to you and yours when it comes. I'm hoping that next year or the year after Mr Fenlon will enable me to change my .net handle. Now that really would be happiness.

Jones28
23-12-2011, 08:25 PM

I actually voted SNP :greengrin:

One Day Soon
23-12-2011, 08:32 PM
I don't see how any true Scotsman could stand to God Save the Queen and have Stuart Pearce as manager.

However, it will be great opportunity to see who are the true Scotsmen and who are not.

P.S With the issue of the Falkland Islands on the rise again it would be fantastic to see the Argies slam a few past "GB" on it's on patch.

Really? You might want to rethink that post.

Firstly what makes you think you - or anyone else - has the right to define who is a true Scotsman and who isn't?

Secondly why exactly "With the issue of the Falkland Islands on the rise again" would it be "fantastic to see the Argies slam a few past "GB" on it's on patch"?

One Day Soon
23-12-2011, 08:39 PM
I actually voted SNP :greengrin:

Fair enough. Lots of people did. Rupert Murdoch's Sun even had 'Keep Salm and carry on' on its front page and they rarely side with the losers so you were far from alone.

Anyway since I heard earlier today that the Celtc women's team had been approached about fielding female players for the GB side shouldn't the Hibs women's team be approached too? Little danger to the international women's side in that surely?

Littlest Hobo
23-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Putting the politics aside for a moment, Hanlon for team GB? I don't think I'd play Hanlon for Hibs at the minute never mind international football. The laddie needs to grow a pair, he's far too much of a soft touch. Any decent strikers must be rubbing their hands when they come up against him. For what it's worth I think he's got talent but his recent form has been nothing short of pish and he is in my opinion one of the reasons why we are so poor at the back.

Andy74
23-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Putting the politics aside for a moment, Hanlon for team GB? I don't think I'd play Hanlon for Hibs at the minute never mind international football. The laddie needs to grow a pair, he's far too much of a soft touch. Any decent strikers must be rubbing their hands when they come up against him. For what it's worth I think he's got talent but his recent form has been nothing short of pish and he is in my opinion one of the reasons why we are so poor at the back.

Has potential but we won't improve playing guys like him at the back at his current stage of development. And when he does improve he will be gone.

I'd happily never play young defenders.

GREEN WARLORD
23-12-2011, 08:47 PM
My take on it.

Manager = English

Goalkeeper = English
Defender = English
Defender = English
Defender = English
Defender = English
Midfielder = English
Midfielder = English
Midfielder = English
Midfielder = English
Midfielder = English
Forward = English
Forward = English

Sub = Token Scot
Sub = Token Scot
Sub = Token Welshman
Sub = Token Welshman
Sub = Token N Irishman
Sub = Token N Irishman

I'm a proud Scotsman but i'm also a proud British Citizen, sadley it's just the way that i see this team panning out and for that reason i'm against it. Watch this space!!!!!

ALF TUPPER
23-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Team GB is what Levein is creating anyway. Scottish National team is full on non Scots.

Heehee

H18sry
23-12-2011, 09:20 PM
GARY McALLISTER has urged Scott Brown and James Forrest to snub Team GB.

Scotland stars Brown and Forrest are on Stuart Pearce's radar for the Olympics.

But former national skipper McAllister said: "It would not sit comfortably with me. I would follow the SFA's line that we're better staying on our own.

"As a former Scotland captain, I don't see how I could endorse a Team GB.

"I was supposed to come up to Scotland to do some work on the Olympics, but had to cancel because it was the week of Gary Speed's funeral.

"But I wanted to find out exactly what the SFA's take on the matter was before I committed."

McAllister fears FIFA tightening their rules and demanding Britain plays as one country would kill Scottish football.

He added: "It's okay for FIFA to give assurances now that the four home nations will have their individuality guaranteed.

"But what happens ten years from now when there's a new regime at FIFA and they look back and say 'Britain played as a united team at the 2012 Olympics, why can't they do it for the World Cup?'.

"Being part of a British team would be the end for Scottish football for me.

"The SFA's stance is the right one.

"I've never really thought about football as being a key part of the Olympics.

"I know countries like Argentina and Spain treat it seriously and their top players all play in it.

"But I take a more traditional view of it and the Olympics has always represented amateur sport to me."

As well as Brown and Forrest, fellow Celtic star Adam Matthews is on Team GB coach Pearce's wish-list.

Hoops boss Neil Lennon said: "I haven't had the chance to speak to the players and the timing of the Games is a problem. But if they want to go I can't stop them."

PaulSmith
23-12-2011, 09:49 PM

Lost me with the Falkland island bit, are you supporting the Argentinians as some form of revenge for the 1982 war, where obviously many Scottish soldiers served under the GB flag.

Part/Time Supporter
23-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Lost me with the Falkland island bit, are you supporting the Argentinians as some form of revenge for the 1982 war, where obviously many Scottish soldiers served under the GB flag.

:agree:

Including one who is in the SNP cabinet, Keith Brown. Who, like Paul Hanlon, went to Tynecastle HS.

Sergeant Hibs
23-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Would say
Steven Fletcher
Darren Fletcher if ok by then
Charlie Adam should play for first team

and I'm sure Hanlon, Rhodes and Forrest should play for the U23s

CropleyWasGod
23-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Would say
Steven Fletcher
Darren Fletcher if ok by then
Charlie Adam should play for first team

and I'm sure Hanlon, Rhodes and Forrest should play for the U23s

There is only one team.

steakbake
24-12-2011, 05:04 AM
Dont know what all the fuss is about. A British team is nothing new. There's been a true blue Team GB for years in the West side of Glasgow. Union jacks at the ready and altogether now, lads: Rule Britannia...

hibbiedon
24-12-2011, 07:12 AM

We have a cross section of all members of society on this board, unlike certain teams who are mainly unionist obsessed and have a hatred for anything Scottish, their headaches are caused by listening to "rule britannia" god save the queen etc, whilst wearing union jack boxer shorts and three lion tee shirts, thats why politics should be kept out of sport

Bostonhibby
24-12-2011, 08:51 AM

:agree: I have a mate who was in the Paras in the Falklands, fought on the ground and was ultimately invalided out afterwards he is Welsh by birth and a hibby by grace of god, even if he does spend too much time watching Liverpool - but only because of where he lives now - thought I'd add that in in case you were watching Rodge!:worried:

One Day Soon
24-12-2011, 09:01 AM
We have a cross section of all members of society on this board, unlike certain teams who are mainly unionist obsessed and have a hatred for anything Scottish, their headaches are caused by listening to "rule britannia" god save the queen etc, whilst wearing union jack boxer shorts and three lion tee shirts, thats why politics should be kept out of sport

Yes and no. Cricketers to South Africa under apartheid? Black athletes giving political salutes at previous Olympics? Almost everything is political one way or another.

hibbiedon
24-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Yes and no. Cricketers to South Africa under apartheid? Black athletes giving political salutes at previous Olympics? Almost everything is political one way or another.

very true, although im not sure if the money involved these days has more bearing than political belief, but its hard to place these actions with the ugly sisters waving tricolours & union jacks,

The_Todd
24-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Folk need to get over the fact Scots might play for a GB side.

This.

Athletes interested in making appearance in one of world's biggest sporting event shocker. Get a grip, everyone.

The_Todd
24-12-2011, 11:34 AM
My take on it.

Manager = English

Goalkeeper = English
Defender = English
Defender = English
Defender = English
Defender = English
Midfielder = English
Midfielder = English
Midfielder = English
Midfielder = English
Midfielder = English
Forward = English
Forward = English

Sub = Token Scot
Sub = Token Scot
Sub = Token Welshman
Sub = Token Welshman
Sub = Token N Irishman
Sub = Token N Irishman

I'm a proud Scotsman but i'm also a proud British Citizen, sadley it's just the way that i see this team panning out and for that reason i'm against it. Watch this space!!!!!

I think Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsay might be seen as more than just "token Welshman". And if that's the way it pans out then thats Scotland's fault for not producing the talent.