PDA

View Full Version : Agogo and Thornhill told to find new clubs

edinburghhibee
23-12-2011, 02:28 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but read it at the bottom of this report on the BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16285005.stm

Surprised that Matt has been told to find a new club, he is injured a lot though. Agogo not really seen any reasons for bringing him to the club he hasn't had a good game for us yet in my opinion.

Pat's clearout begins!!!!!

:pfgwa

davym7062
23-12-2011, 03:28 AM
thornhill, agogo, sodje are the reason managers get sacked. murder the lot o them

bigwheel
23-12-2011, 06:56 AM
I'm not surprised Matt has been told to find a new club - he does nothing to impact a game . Don't think he has had one decent game in the SPL.... Strikes me as the sort of player who will be brilliant in training , but can't do it on match days...,

Don Giovanni
23-12-2011, 07:35 AM
No suprise about Agogo being given the boot. The guy was clearly here for a final pay-day thanks to his old pal Blunderdud.

Thornhill is a bit of a strange one though. Still a fairly young guy trying to make a career in the game. Where does he go from here? Failed to make the grade at Championship Forest and then told to leave by SPL Hibs. Think he's missed more games thans he's played right enough but thats unfortunate. Can only think his being told to find a new club is an attitude issue as much as an ability one.

Neither player will really be missed IMO but if we emptied every player on that basis we'd struggle to put a team out!

Will free up some wages for much needed new recruits.

500miles
23-12-2011, 07:44 AM
thornhill, agogo, sodje are the reason managers get sacked. murder thelot o them

Sodje has scored plenty of goals for us in the limited number of games - particularly starts - he's had. Misses a few sitters, but gets into enough good positions to make up for it with another goal or two later. He was key to our survival last season.
If he would have played more this season, he would have scored more goals. He would have also missed a couple more sitters. He's erratic, but produces enough overall IMO.

leither17
23-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Sodje has scored plenty of goals for us in the limited number of games - particularly starts - he's had. Misses a few sitters, but gets into enough good positions to make up for it with another goal or two later. He was key to our survival last season.
If he would have played more this season, he would have scored more goals. He would have also missed a couple more sitters. He's erratic, but produces enough overall IMO.

We would have been in a horrible position last season without his goals and hasn't had a chance this season

hibeemikey21
23-12-2011, 08:43 AM
We would have been in a horrible position last season without his goals and hasn't had a chance this season

Yeah, I don't get why he hasn't been given a chance this year. Total bull in a china shop, but that's fine in this kind of SPL.

Think about the Aberdeen game: we didn't have a single chance the whole game really, then Sodje comes on, does brilliantly to hold his man off, spins, and then admittedly, misses a glaring opportunity. At least he made it though. Give him 90 minutes and he will generally find a goal or add a bit of life to the attack. Wrong player to be emptying IMO.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Agogo has been abject for us and perhaps has been one of the most pointless players to pull on the jersey in years. A real folly signing in the same category as Johansson for Mixu. As for Thornhill, you can be world class, but if you are never off the injured list it makes no odds what you can do.

BEEJ
23-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Agogo has been abject for us and perhaps has been one of the most pointless players to pull on the jersey in years. A real folly signing in the same category as Johansson for Mixu. As for Thornhill, you can be world class, but if you are never off the injured list it makes no odds what you can do.
:confused: The matches I've watched he's been one of our better performers. Opinions, eh?

But it would appear that his attitude has been poor since Calderwood left so he has no future at ER and the sooner he moves on the better. It's a similar problem with Thornhill, apparently.

blackpoolhibs
23-12-2011, 10:25 AM
:confused: The matches I've watched he's been one of our better performers. Opinions, eh?

But it would appear that his attitude has been poor since Calderwood left so he has no future at ER and the sooner he moves on the better. It's a similar problem with Thornhill, apparently.

I'd have Agogo in before O'Conner at the minute. At least Agogo can trap a ball and control it. Agogo was asked to play out of position every game he played, if imo he was played up front as a target man, with someone playing off him, he'd be fine.

That wont happen it seems, so we will never know. What i dont understand though is why managers persist with one up front, with a player who cant play that holding the ball up role?

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-12-2011, 10:35 AM
I'd have Agogo in before O'Conner at the minute. At least Agogo can trap a ball and control it. Agogo was asked to play out of position every game he played, if imo he was played up front as a target man, with someone playing off him, he'd be fine.

That wont happen it seems, so we will never know. What i dont understand though is why managers persist with one up front, with a player who cant play that holding the ball up role?

I don't think that Agogo is half the player that O'Connor is, but in a situation where both players obviously have issues regarding condition, atttiude and application it is more of a choice between least worst rather than best.

blackpoolhibs
23-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't think that Agogo is half the player that O'Connor is, but in a situation where both players obviously have issues regarding condition, atttiude and application it is more of a choice between least worst rather than best.

I agree, normally i'd pick Garry every time. Yet watching him recently he's been a shadow of the player we know he can be, and Agogo was never played up front, always played deeper. And that imo was a complete waste, and did him no favours at all.

Kammy1875
23-12-2011, 11:55 AM
I agree, normally i'd pick Garry every time. Yet watching him recently he's been a shadow of the player we know he can be, and Agogo was never played up front, always played deeper. And that imo was a complete waste, and did him no favours at all.

Garry is not, nor will ever be a lone target man. He suffers from confidence playing up top on his own as well.

Agogo has a shocking attitude so he can bolt.

Andy74
23-12-2011, 12:00 PM
I think both are probably decent players but from what I can gather are aiding the general poor attitude that we have just now.

I think the way forward is with guys who like Doyle hopefully will appreciate what it is to be part of a bigger set up than they are used to and are willing to fight and be part of it.

Fenlon being here will really help that I feel, he has been used to doing all the jobs in the football club himself and making do with what he had. Wasters will certainly not get a comfortable time.

patlowe
23-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I don't get why he hasn't been given a chance this year. Total bull in a china shop, but that's fine in this kind of SPL.

Think about the Aberdeen game: we didn't have a single chance the whole game really, then Sodje comes on, does brilliantly to hold his man off, spins, and then admittedly, misses a glaring opportunity. At least he made it though. Give him 90 minutes and he will generally find a goal or add a bit of life to the attack. Wrong player to be emptying IMO.

I agree with your assessment of Sodje but if we can get him (and Agogo) off the wage bill and get someone in of genuine ability and potential (unlikely I know) then it makes sense. As long as we persist with journeymen we are going to be mediocre.

Spike Mandela
23-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Agogo gone already according to EEN but departure still to be confirmed by Hibs Apparently.

leeds_hibby
23-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Agogo gone already according to EEN but departure still to be confirmed by Hibs Apparently.

He has gone, left the club on monday.

Albion Hibs
23-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I would be surprised if it was all down to Fenlon, Agogo and Thornhill seemed to be told pretty much straight after he was appointed therefore I would think Billy Brown may have had a say in that.

Given how much we are struggling going forward I am pretty surprised that Agogo has been told he can go. He is probably on the only CF in recent years that could actually hold a ball up. Thornhill never did anything to suggest he was or is not a player. As for Sodje as bad as his shooting can be I think he is more agreesive and has more ability to create space than our current other strikers and I am pretty surprised he has not had more of a chance. Dont get me wrong at times I feel he would struggle to hit a white whale on a black background, but he does get into decent positions and given most teams that play us dont seem to bother defending as they know we are pash in attack I would like to see him starting with OConnor.

Andy74
23-12-2011, 04:26 PM
I would be surprised if it was all down to Fenlon, Agogo and Thornhill seemed to be told pretty much straight after he was appointed therefore I would think Billy Brown may have had a say in that.

Given how much we are struggling going forward I am pretty surprised that Agogo has been told he can go. He is probably on the only CF in recent years that could actually hold a ball up. Thornhill never did anything to suggest he was or is not a player. As for Sodje as bad as his shooting can be I think he is more agreesive and has more ability to create space than our current other strikers and I am pretty surprised he has not had more of a chance. Dont get me wrong at times I feel he would struggle to hit a white whale on a black background, but he does get into decent positions and given most teams that play us dont seem to bother defending as they know we are pash in attack I would like to see him starting with OConnor.

I think Brown certainly would have had a say. Particularly as it seems to be based on their attitude.

These players are all part of a team that is honking and can barely get a game. Rather than giving them more chances I'm all for getting rid and allowing the management team to try and get in people that they think can do the job.

Albion Hibs
23-12-2011, 04:32 PM
I think Brown certainly would have had a say. Particularly as it seems to be based on their attitude.

These players are all part of a team that is honking and can barely get a game. Rather than giving them more chances I'm all for getting rid and allowing the management team to try and get in people that they think can do the job.

I thought we looked like a much better team going forward with Agogo, and I hope Sodge still gets a chance. I am concious there is another thread currently on the go about players we have lost out on. Hindsight is a great thing but we are as guilty as the best of them at not giving some players a decent chance, and I think of the handful of games agogo played, he did deserve that. It is all fair and well assuming Fenlon may get in players that may be better, but no certainty.

On the point of their attitudes I would however agree, the club has rightly got rid of far better players due to their impact on the team via a crap attitude, so if that is the case I can in part understand.

RyeSloan
23-12-2011, 04:33 PM

Has Sodje been released as he's not mentioned in the link :confused:

Andy74
23-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Has Sodje been released as he's not mentioned in the link :confused:

Don't think so, but I'd probably get rid.

Franck Stanton
23-12-2011, 04:44 PM
bearing in mind the formation we are playing lately,[ ie 1 forward,] think that Sodje is more suited to it than GOC. Dont get me wrong here, GOC is a far better player than Sodje but, not in the formation we are currently adopting, so, unless we are going to get another forward up beside GOC dont see the sence in binning Sodje.

Holmesdale Hibs
23-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Both of them have looked ok at times but I've seen nothing that makes me think someone else will sign them and they'll become good SPL players.. Especially Agogo who must be averaging a club per year. Don't think we'll miss either of them.

hibeemikey21
23-12-2011, 09:27 PM
I agree with your assessment of Sodje but if we can get him (and Agogo) off the wage bill and get someone in of genuine ability and potential (unlikely I know) then it makes sense. As long as we persist with journeymen we are going to be mediocre.

Yeah, fair enough, if the wages were combined we could prob get someone fairly decent in. Agogo and thornhill I'm ok about, I just see Sodje as the sort of player a St mirren-esque team would take and he would fast become a 15 or so goal a season striker who regularly finds the net against us! Seems to happen all the time with us, we release a player for being Tom-kite and shortly afterwards, come to the conclusion that we would take them back in a heartbeat!

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah, fair enough, if the wages were combined we could prob get someone fairly decent in. Agogo and thornhill I'm ok about, I just see Sodje as the sort of player a St mirren-esque team would take and he would fast become a 15 or so goal a season striker who regularly finds the net against us! Seems to happen all the time with us, we release a player for being Tom-kite and shortly afterwards, come to the conclusion that we would take them back in a heartbeat!

:confused: Who are all these players we release then want back again?

ronaldo7
24-12-2011, 10:50 AM
:confused: Who are all these players we release then want back again?

Mikey Stewart:na na:

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Mikey Stewart:na na:

Dean Shiels. :na na::wink:

ronaldo7
24-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Dean Shiels. :na na::wink:

Maka:na na::na na::wink:

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Maka:na na::na na::wink: