PDA

View Full Version : Sports Personality

Higgy115
22-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Nice touch remembering Eddie Turnbull amongst those that have passed away this year.

RIP

vincipernoi
22-12-2011, 09:15 PM
first UK player to score in european cup/champions league

possibly scored the first three UK goals if I remember correctly

RIP

tbfhibs
22-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Well done BBC, as was said nice touch.

easty
22-12-2011, 09:21 PM
what was with the coldplay love-in though? almost all the songs were coldplay songs.

grunt
22-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Difficult to see how I could care less, frankly. No interest whatsoever.

Dalianwanda
22-12-2011, 09:33 PM

but you posted so theres some level of care :wink:

Eyrie
22-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Missed it because I was watching Spurs/Chelsea. Nice to hear about Turnbull being acknowledged, and Cavendish was the deserved winner.

grunt
22-12-2011, 09:41 PM
but you posted so theres some level of care :wink:
I guess because I'm trying to understand this fascination every year with the award.
It just doesn't make any sense to me. How can you compare a footballer with a tennis player, or an F1 driver or a golfer?
I mean, what's the criteria here?
It seems like it's just BBC whipped-up hype for one of its programmes.
Like when the results of "strictly" get reported as news, or forever mentioned on chat shows, etc.
It's just the BBC machine feeding itself...

Jonnyboy
22-12-2011, 09:44 PM
I guess because I'm trying to understand this fascination every year with the award.
It just doesn't make any sense to me. How can you compare a footballer with a tennis player, or an F1 driver or a golfer?
Like when the results of "strictly" get reported as news, or forever mentioned on chat shows, etc.

I think the word 'personality' causes confusion. There's a few sports persons that don't have one. Sportsperson of the year would be a better description

Barney McGrew
22-12-2011, 09:46 PM
I think the word 'personality' causes confusion. There's a few sports persons that don't have one. Sportsperson of the year would be a better description

At least this year they appear to have given it to someone who actually has a personality :greengrin

And a worthy winner too BTW.

Jonnyboy
22-12-2011, 09:47 PM
At least this year they appear to have given it to someone who actually has a personality :greengrin

And a worthy winner too BTW.

Agreed :agree:

Shame not a single woman in the ten though

Pretty Boy
22-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Agreed :agree:

Shame not a single woman in the ten though

Agreed.

There are a few women who deserved to be in there ahead of the likes of Amir Khan.

Also didn't watch, did Mo Farah get in the top 3? Definitely deserved to be.

Sir David Gray
22-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Really thought Darren Clarke or Rory McIlroy would have won it, considering they both won Majors this year.

Don't follow cycling at all so no idea if Mark Cavendish deserved it or not.

Sir David Gray
22-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Agreed.

There are a few women who deserved to be in there ahead of the likes of Amir Khan.

Also didn't watch, did Mo Farah get in the top 3? Definitely deserved to be.

Yep.

3rd-Farah
2nd-Clarke
1st-Cavendish

BroxburnHibee
22-12-2011, 10:17 PM

The thread was about them recognising Turnbull's passing which most of us would agree was a nice touch.

Completely different discussion when we discuss the merits of the programme.

Pretty Boy
22-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Yep.

3rd-Farah
2nd-Clarke
1st-Cavendish

Cheers.

Also saw your post on the dug out re the unsung hero award. That one seemed truly well deserved and the couple deserve any acolade that comes their way.

Sir David Gray
22-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Cheers.

Also saw your post on the dug out re the unsung hero award. That one seemed truly well deserved and the couple deserve any acolade that comes their way.

Really delighted for the two of them. I've been involved in a lot of sports throughout my life but Ian and Janice really are fantastic people and I don't personally know anyone who deserves that award more than them.

It's brilliant that they've been recognised in this way.

I didn't even know that they were nominated for this award so you can imagine my surprise when I turned over for a brief moment from the Spurs-Chelsea match and saw two people on my TV that I know extremely well and who I am on first name terms with, getting an award from Michael Owen!

You can appreciate that I thought I was imagining things, particularly after a drink or two! :greengrin

DarrenSQH
22-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Good to see Ned remembered alongside some legends of other sports like Frazier and speed.

Purple & Green
22-12-2011, 11:30 PM
What team GB did at the worlds to get Cav in position, and then what the Manx missile did to win the gold was an epic piece of cycling well worthy of the award on its own, before you even think about his green jersey.

Poignant to see Ned remembered, along with people like Graham Dilley and Grete Waiz.

grunt
23-12-2011, 12:03 AM
The thread was about them recognising Turnbull's passing which most of us would agree was a nice touch.

Completely different discussion when we discuss the merits of the programme.
If you say so, but the thread is just titled "Sports Personality".

HibeeMG
23-12-2011, 12:19 AM
What team GB did at the worlds to get Cav in position, and then what the Manx missile did to win the gold was an epic piece of cycling well worthy of the award on its own, before you even think about his green jersey.

Poignant to see Ned remembered, along with people like Graham Dilley and Grete Waiz.

:agree:

Completely agree with all of that.

I have to say I was very shocked and sad to see that Alex Hay, the golf commentator, had died this year. I had no idea at all. He was always worth listening to and seemed such a nice guy.

Hibbyradge
23-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Other Sports forum? :dunno:

steakbake
23-12-2011, 01:43 AM
As for the actual shortlist: Andy Murray? The award is called Sports "Personality" of the year...?

Personally I reckon Mo Farah is worth that crown, such as it is.

Ryan69
23-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Back on subject....

Eddie Turnbull was a legend,and its respectful that it was mentioned.
As achievement for the British game...Its been pointed out.

Legend in any Hibs fans book,and known throughout the UK at least.
As a Hibs fan....Legend!
RIP Mr Turnbull.

davym7062
23-12-2011, 02:25 AM
id ave given to andy murray, just coz he never won 1 of the 4 BIG tourneys (he made 3 semis and 1 final) but won loads of other titles,

i wish my football team were as half as fit as he is

Ryan69
23-12-2011, 02:51 AM
id ave given to andy murray, just coz he never won 1 of the 4 BIG tourneys (he made 3 semis and 1 final) but won loads of other titles,

Completely agree!
What he has acheved Britishwise...theres no competition.
Hes 3/4 in the world in what he is(dont know rankings....but maybe Netherlands,in that Sport!) Incredibloe...on his own.

ACLeith
23-12-2011, 05:41 AM
Puzzles me why Dario Franchitti is never on the list of contenders. (Didn't watch the programme so apologies if he was mentioned among the also-rans). World champion in his sport 3 out of the last 4 seasons, the one he didn't win was because he was away racing in a different discipline. Given it's an American sport and his name, maybe the BBC don't even realise he is Scottish/British. :confused:

Geo_1875
23-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Puzzles me why Dario Franchitti is never on the list of contenders. (Didn't watch the programme so apologies if he was mentioned among the also-rans). World champion in his sport 3 out of the last 4 seasons, the one he didn't win was because he was away racing in a different discipline. Given it's an American sport and his name, maybe the BBC don't even realise he is Scottish/British. :confused:

I think Dario is overlooked as he participates in a sport that is only "played" in America, mainly by Americans, yet they have the brass neck to declare the winner Champion of the world. Same with baseball and the World Series. I can't remember the last time the Warsaw Wizards took part?

ACLeith
23-12-2011, 06:56 AM
I think Dario is overlooked as he participates in a sport that is only "played" in America, mainly by Americans, yet they have the brass neck to declare the winner Champion of the world. Same with baseball and the World Series. I can't remember the last time the Warsaw Wizards took part?

I agree and I also get irritated by the "<add your country here> = the world" syndrome (e.g. English media perhaps?). In spite of that he is a British multi-champion in his chosen sport and at least is deserving of a look in IMO. When Dal Wheldon was tragically killed, comments were made that he was the greatest British Indy car driver; a great driver but not quite true. Maybe if Dario was English he might get a mention?

Gingertosser
23-12-2011, 09:56 AM

being a little pedantic here, but 'The World' was a newspaper, not the earth, as most people think :na na:

brog
23-12-2011, 10:06 AM
being a little pedantic here, but 'The World' was a newspaper, not the earth, as most people think :na na:

Em, sorry to hijack thread but you're wrong. The story that the World Series was originally named after the Chicago newspaper, The World, was in itself an urban myth. The phrase World Series originated more than 100 years ago when the 2 competing leagues met to decide the Championship of USA. That quickly became known as the World Championship Series or World Series - Sorry - but :na na:

JimBHibees
23-12-2011, 10:10 AM

Hear hear Davy.

Cropley10
23-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Really thought Darren Clarke or Rory McIlroy would have won it, considering they both won Majors this year.

Don't follow cycling at all so no idea if Mark Cavendish deserved it or not.

Clarke has a few skeletons in the closet. Not everyones cup of tea.

Cavendish is renowned around the world and is a very worthy winner IMHO.

Sir David Gray
23-12-2011, 12:25 PM
As for the actual shortlist: Andy Murray? The award is called Sports "Personality" of the year...?

Personally I reckon Mo Farah is worth that crown, such as it is.

Don't see that Andy Murray comes across as being any less of a "personality" than Mark Cavendish did last night during his acceptance speech.

The award highlights outstanding sporting performance throughout the previous 12 months and really doesn't have anything to do with being a personality, so that word should be omitted from the title. You could be the dullest person on the planet but if you've achieved something truly extraordinary in your sport then you deserve to win that award.

I agree that Murray didn't really deserve to win the award last night but he did more than enough to justify his inclusion on the nomination list. Getting to one Grand Slam final and three semi finals is no mean feat, when you consider that he was up against a player who had one of the greatest years of all time in 2011.

southfieldhibby
23-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Clarke has a few skeletons in the closet. Not everyones cup of tea.

Cavendish is renowned around the world and is a very worthy winner IMHO.
Indeed he does,some of which if they came to light he'd be hated