PDA

View Full Version : Announcement Derby Day White ribbon Campaign

HNA12
22-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Lothian and Borders Police / White Ribbon Campaign Derby Match

This year’s Derby match will open with the Hibs mascots carrying a giant White Ribbon, in support of Lothian and Borders Police anti-domestic violence campaign.

For the third year running, Lothian and Borders Police has teamed up with Hearts, Hibs and the White Ribbon charity to ask men to pledge never to commit, condone or remain silent about violence against women.

Players from both teams will be wearing White Ribbons on the 2nd January match, as will all police officers on duty. Supporters can find out more, and order White Ribbons online, at www.whiteribbonscotland.org.uk (http://www.whiteribbonscotland.org.uk).

Alternatively see www.lbp.police.uk (http://www.lbp.police.uk/) for more details.

Peevemor
22-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Lothian and Borders Police / White Ribbon Campaign Derby Match

This year’s Derby match will open with the Hibs mascots carrying a giant White Ribbon, in support of Lothian and Borders Police anti-domestic violence campaign.

For the third year running, Lothian and Borders Police has teamed up with Hearts, Hibs and the White Ribbon charity to ask men to pledge never to commit, condone or remain silent about violence against women.

Players from both teams will be wearing White Ribbons on the 2nd January match, as will all police officers on duty. Supporters can find out more, and order White Ribbons online, at www.whiteribbonscotland.org.uk (http://www.whiteribbonscotland.org.uk).

Alternatively see www.lbp.police.uk (http://www.lbp.police.uk/) for more details.

:aok: Great initiative. Well done to all concerned.

Stantons Angel
22-12-2011, 06:51 PM
A great idea especially at this time of year where many people drink to excess.

The white ribbons were handed out a few weeks ago at our away game at St Johnstone.

Lets hope it brings awareness that will avoid many families having a horrible Christmas!

Keep up the good work!

down-the-slope
23-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Good idea to promote this...however it irritates me that its always aimed at men...while they may be the greater majority there is a significant amount of domestic violence by women..although less talked about...

Neither is acceptable

'Very little in known about the actual number of men who are in a domestic relationship in which they are abused or treated violently by women. In 100 domestic violence situations approximately 40 cases involve violence by women against men'

Malthibby
26-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I do have a problem about the violence against men by women thing. I can't say what it must be like to get lamped by your wife, but violence of men against women to me is just so much worse, is so much more endemic in our culture, & has far more capacity to be extreme.
Don't know where the 40 cases in every 100 comes from but that seems extremely high. There is another stat; 2 women every week in the UK are killed by a current or ex-partner. Almost all cases concerning women killing their psrtner involve the woman snapping after years of abuse.
Again, I'm not saying women's violence doesn't matter at all, but I am saying I don't think it should cloud the much bigger issue relating to male violence & a culture which perptuates it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Good idea that should be supported. I have to say that I find it curious that things like this often have to get very specific to get various levels of authorities to get behind it and afford it gravitas. If you said you were campaigning against violence per se, folk would say you were a dreamer.

lyonhibs
28-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Good idea to promote this...however it irritates me that its always aimed at men...while they may be the greater majority there is a significant amount of domestic violence by women..although less talked about...

Neither is acceptable

'Very little in known about the actual number of men who are in a domestic relationship in which they are abused or treated violently by women. In 100 domestic violence situations approximately 40 cases involve violence by women against men'

Agree entirely with your irritation. Presumably they'll be asking women to similarly commit, or is society still in the habit of treating all women as little princesses incapable of such an abhorrent - and it is - act.
Great campaign in theory, but they need to broaden their remit to cover ALL domestic violence.
Ill still donate mind.

Jay
28-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Plenty of women got to the football these days. I think they are using big games purely to get to a massive number of people. A lot of us will most likely to be drinking more than usual because its new year as well as a derby so for some it is a chance to drink even more and in an enviroment where violence can erupt and tempers are high anyway. I think I remember from last year that domestic violence seems to increase after an old firm game. I think its a great initiative from L&Bs finest. If highlighting it stops one man/woman or child getting a beating that day then its been a success.

Malthibby
29-12-2011, 12:40 PM
The White Ribbon campaign's own stats suggest over 84% of domestic violence is male against female.
Again, it's not saying the reverse isn't a problem, but it is not on anything like the same scale. Women die on a regular, weekly basis due to domestic abuse. Men don't.