PDA

View Full Version : NHC Terry to face charges

Barney McGrew
21-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Can't post a link from my mobile but the CPS have confirmed John Terry will face Magistrates over alleged comments made to Anton Ferdinand

cabbageandribs1875
21-12-2011, 01:33 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16284813

Broken Gnome
21-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Not sure it's good practice to WANT someone to be charged with racism, but....

... he's as pleasing a candidate as any.

Andy74
21-12-2011, 01:39 PM

... he's as pleasing a candidate as any.

:greengrin

The_Exile
21-12-2011, 01:46 PM
His defence is based on the fact he says he was saying "I did not call you a black ****" but Anton Ferdinand said he never spoke a word to John Terry, so who was Terry replying to if this was the case? Surely Ferdinand would have had to have said to Terry "Did you just call me a......."

Any man that would bang his mates wife has no credibility IMO, I'm amazed he's still captain of England and Chelsea, how do his black team mates look him in the eye and respect him for both club and country?

Sir David Gray
21-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Not too sure that he'll have much of a defence, considering he was captured on camera making his comments.

He'll almost certainly be finished with England, if he's convicted, but going by Andre Villas Boas' statements on the matter, it would seem that Chelsea will be standing by him, no matter what.

The maximum £2,500 fine that he'll receive should teach him, though. :agree:

That's like the average person getting fined £5!

Andy74
21-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Not too sure that he'll have much of a defence, considering he was captured on camera making his comments.

He'll almost certainly be finished with England, if he's convicted, but going by Andre Villas Boas' statements on the matter, it would seem that Chelsea will be standing by him, no matter what.

That depemds on what the cameras and microphones actually captured and whether there is any additional context which needs to be taken into consideration.

For example, if it was actually in the form of a question as referred to above.

Sir David Gray
21-12-2011, 01:56 PM
His defence is based on the fact he says he was saying "I did not call you a black ****" but Anton Ferdinand said he never spoke a word to John Terry, so who was Terry replying to if this was the case? Surely Ferdinand would have had to have said to Terry "Did you just call me a......."

Any man that would bang his mates wife has no credibility IMO, I'm amazed he's still captain of England and Chelsea, how do his black team mates look him in the eye and respect him for both club and country?

:agree: That line of defence seemed quite credible, until it was quickly blown out of the water when Ferdinand said that he didn't even hear Terry say anything to him during the game so how could Terry be denying that he said this?

When you look at the footage of the incident, it is quite obvious that Terry says the following;

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, ya f****** black ****"
"F****** k***head"

I don't see how he can really deny this at all.

Dashing Bob S
21-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Two words: Ashley, and Cole.

Saorsa
21-12-2011, 02:26 PM

... he's as pleasing a candidate as any.I couldnae think of a better candidate.

jdships
21-12-2011, 02:31 PM
That depemds on what the cameras and microphones actually captured and whether there is any additional context which needs to be taken into consideration.

For example, if it was actually in the form of a question as referred to above.

:agree:
Will be interesting to see how this one pans out !!
Suarez has been handed an eight match ban plus a hefty fine for " a gesture to fans"

Innocent till proved guilty - BUT !!!!!!!!!!!

The Hurricane
21-12-2011, 02:47 PM
I couldnae think of a better candidate.

Let me in the firing squad

Pretty Boy
21-12-2011, 03:00 PM
The FA have set a dangerous precedent for themselves with the Suarez ruling, which I'll refrain from commenting.on until I see the full judgement.

If they ban him for 8 games and impose a fine then how do they deal.with Terry. If he's found guilty in a court of law of a racially aggravated offence then they have to at the very least match that punishment and strip him of the England captaincy. My guess is they won't though because they are a shower of spineless hypocrites.

Sir David Gray
21-12-2011, 03:16 PM
The FA have set a dangerous precedent for themselves with the Suarez ruling, which I'll refrain from commenting.on until I see the full judgement.

If they ban him for 8 games and impose a fine then how do they deal.with Terry. If he's found guilty in a court of law of a racially aggravated offence then they have to at the very least match that punishment and strip him of the England captaincy. My guess is they won't though because they are a shower of spineless hypocrites.

If Terry is convicted, he will be finished with England. The FA can't possibly back all these initiatives relating to anti-racism if they have a prominent member of the squad who has been convicted of racially abusing a fellow player.

Obviously the ban is a bit harder to predict but I would have thought that he would be dealt with a lot more severely than Suarez, given the legal proceedings against him and the massive amount of evidence that there is in this case.

Suarez has effectively been given a ban of around 5-6 weeks. On that basis, I would imagine that John Terry can expect a ban in the region of about 3 months and a fine of about £80,000.

Sergeant Hibs
21-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Not sure it's good practice to WANT someone to be charged with racism, but....... he's as pleasing a candidate as any.This

silverhibee
21-12-2011, 03:40 PM

On SSN they keep showing the same clip regarding John Terry, his team mate John Obi Mikel is standing next to Terry and twice he looks at Terry while he is saying what he said, JOM seems a bit annoyed with what JT is saying. If you can have a look at the clip.

Sergeant Hibs
21-12-2011, 03:44 PM
He shoulb be sentenced to the electic chair along with ian black peter pawlett CC steven gerrard neil lennon(no sectarianism just detest his soul most annoying guy ever) skacel el hadji diouf and kyle lafferty

soupy
21-12-2011, 04:26 PM
I absolutely despise the brick, he thought he was untouchable, smart ersed runt!!!@

Sir David Gray
21-12-2011, 04:34 PM
On SSN they keep showing the same clip regarding John Terry, his team mate John Obi Mikel is standing next to Terry and twice he looks at Terry while he is saying what he said, JOM seems a bit annoyed with what JT is saying. If you can have a look at the clip.

I've just seen this footage for the first time today, I've only ever seen the footage where it's a close up of Terry.

It does indeed look like Mikel is pretty annoyed as he hears this.

Hibs7
21-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I've just seen this footage for the first time today, I've only ever seen the footage where it's a close up of Terry.

It does indeed look like Mikel is pretty annoyed as he hears this.

I think there are too many people here on a witch hunt, would the same reaction be seen if Ferdinand had called Terry a honky.
This whole racist carry on is getting out of hand. PC gone loop, bring back the gollywog.!!!!

Sir David Gray
21-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I think there are too many people here on a witch hunt, would the same reaction be seen if Ferdinand had called Terry a honky.
This whole racist carry on is getting out of hand. PC gone loop, bring back the gollywog.!!!!

I don't know if you're familiar with a lot of the threads that I've commented on, on here, but if you were then you would know that I'm one of the last people on here that you would describe as "politically correct". However, there's just something really wrong with what John Terry has (allegedly) said and I hope he's hammered for it.

Hibs7
21-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Now that is a bit two faced, allegedly done something wrong but you hope he gets hammered.
A lot of people should look at themselves and see if they live in glass houses before slagging anyone else off.
I am no innocent but seriously think the PC brigade has gone way too far. It always seems to be racist abuse against coloured people but you never hear of it against caucasians, but don't think it doesn't happen.

Sir David Gray
21-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Now that is a bit two faced, allegedly done something wrong but you hope he gets hammered.
A lot of people should look at themselves and see if they live in glass houses before slagging anyone else off.
I am no innocent but seriously think the PC brigade has gone way too far. It always seems to be racist abuse against coloured people but you never hear of it against caucasians, but don't think it doesn't happen.

I think anyone with even the most basic talent in lip reading can tell that Terry doesn't have a leg to stand on.

As for the last bit, I wouldn't suggest that black on white abuse doesn't exist and when it does, I would hope that these people would be dealt with in the appropriate manner.

Hibs Class
21-12-2011, 06:56 PM
:agree:
Will be interesting to see how this one pans out !!
Suarez has been handed an eight match ban plus a hefty fine for " a gesture to fans"

Innocent till proved guilty - BUT !!!!!!!!!!!

I think that offence is still pending. His ban is for the abuse of Evra.

Hibbyradge
21-12-2011, 06:59 PM

3 months imprisonment is an option too!

Nah, I know...

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-12-2011, 07:14 PM
I don't see the point in imposing a fine on Terry. It is as if there is a sliding scale that can be compensated by money. if Terry is a racist, then when this is done, he will just be a racist with less cash. Sort of crosses over to the anti sectarian laws we are about to have up here, that may just see us swap noisy bigots for quiet bigots. Anyone that makes a judgement on someone based on the colour of skin over content of character is a half-wit.

Jonnyboy
21-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I have to admit that I'm struggling with this a bit. The FA decided to await the outcome of the police investigation before they held their own enquiry. Meanwhile Saurez has the book thrown at him with his club claiming the only 'evidence' presented was the word of Patrice Evra, the victim. Cannae help but think that the FA have treated Terry differently because he's the national side's captain.

As to the comments about 'PC gone mad' I agree that often that seems to be the case BUT does that mean we just put Terry's words down to 'banter' between players? That IMO is a dangerous precedent to set and especially with the FA being so vocal about showing racism the red card.

Pete
21-12-2011, 07:51 PM
This is twice in a matter of days.
I'm sure this member of the public who complained is part of the PC brigade. They're going mad!

Iggy Pope
21-12-2011, 09:10 PM
The Terry situation seems different as Ferdinand seemingly never heard him say anything. Basic lip reading skills apprently reveal the whole story.

But Evra? When did he become the shrinking violet? If Suarez has said the things he alleges, how come Evra hasn't spread Suarez' nose all over his coupon there and then?
Should've taken decisive and swift action. Would've been worth the red card to show a bit of zero tolerance of his own.

Scouse Hibee
21-12-2011, 09:27 PM
The Terry situation seems different as Ferdinand seemingly never heard him say anything. Basic lip reading skills apprently reveal the whole story.

But Evra? When did he become the shrinking violet? If Suarez has said the things he alleges, how come Evra hasn't spread Suarez' nose all over his coupon there and then?
Should've taken decisive and swift action. Would've been worth the red card to show a bit of zero tolerance of his own.

Yeah brilliant, advocating violence on the pitch to go along with the racism, why didn't the FA think of that! :rolleyes:

Hibercelona
21-12-2011, 09:45 PM
If Suarez has said the things he alleges, how come Evra hasn't spread Suarez' nose all over his coupon there and then?

Thats the type of action that can ultimately ruin a players career, never mind just a red card.

It also sets out an extremely bad example to youngsters who look up to these players.

Northernhibee
21-12-2011, 09:52 PM

There is no such thing as a PC brigade.

The rest of your post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, please leave the grown-ups to have a sensible debate over this.

Eyrie
21-12-2011, 10:05 PM
I have to admit that I'm struggling with this a bit. The FA decided to await the outcome of the police investigation before they held their own enquiry. Meanwhile Saurez has the book thrown at him with his club claiming the only 'evidence' presented was the word of Patrice Evra, the victim. Cannae help but think that the FA have treated Terry differently because he's the national side's captain.

As to the comments about 'PC gone mad' I agree that often that seems to be the case BUT does that mean we just put Terry's words down to 'banter' between players? That IMO is a dangerous precedent to set and especially with the FA being so vocal about showing racism the red card.

I think the difference between the two is that Terry is facing a court case to determine his innocence/guilt, so the FA can't be seen to pre-judge the outcome. They could deal with Suarez because he wasn't charged.

I'm slightly uneasy about the Suarez ruling as it seems to be based only on Evra's word with no corroboration.

blackpoolhibs
22-12-2011, 11:33 AM
I think the difference between the two is that Terry is facing a court case to determine his innocence/guilt, so the FA can't be seen to pre-judge the outcome. They could deal with Suarez because he wasn't charged.

I'm slightly uneasy about the Suarez ruling as it seems to be based only on Evra's word with no corroboration.

Why do people keep saying this when HE'S ADMITTED SAYING RACIST WORDS TO EVRA? His defence is what he said is not deemed racist in his home country.

JimBHibees
22-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Why do people keep saying this when HE'S ADMITTED SAYING RACIST WORDS TO EVRA? His defence is what he said is not deemed racist in his home country.

Yep he has admitted saying it and is citing ignorance of the law which isnt a defence. All this IMO makes Liverpool's actions last night even more reprehensible, led by Dalglish.

Eyrie
22-12-2011, 06:14 PM
My bad.

No grounds for appeal then other than sheer stupidity.

Iggy Pope
22-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Yeah brilliant, advocating violence on the pitch to go along with the racism, why didn't the FA think of that! :rolleyes:

Who mentioned the FA? You think those rolling eyes make you sound clever?
Speaking of Evra as a black man here, confronted with a racist in his face he ran to the referee and then the press. Doesn't say much about how offended he really was, but it does show remarkable self-control.
Remarkable.
Personally I would rather he had lamped him. In fact it should be expected. To counteract the racism, not to er, 'go along with it'.....
And I don't give a flying **** about your FA.

Thats the type of action that can ultimately ruin a players career, never mind just a red card.

It also sets out an extremely bad example to youngsters who look up to these players.

Bollox.
It would set out a great example to any young player considering racism as a way forward in the game, or indeed life.
Cantona was no doubt revered by a generation currently making their way in the game - don't see too many launching karate kicks at boneheads in the crowd though.......

lapsedhibee
23-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Cantona was no doubt revered by a generation currently making their way in the game - don't see too many launching karate kicks at boneheads in the crowd though.......

No indeed, but we could do with a bit of that at ER just now, players showing a bit of passion. Do you think Ivan could be trained up to perform the manoeuvre?

hibsbollah
23-12-2011, 03:33 PM
The interesting thing about both the Suarez and Terry cases is the unseemly haste with which the clubs and the teammates involved are rushing to the defence of the accused. Chelsea's defence (that Terry was quoting someone else's racist language) seems paper-thin, and Liverpool's 'cultural relativism' defence about South America is just ridiculous. (maybe the BBC should try this with Hansen? We all say 'coloured' in Scotland, its a cultural difference you know:dummytit:) Despicable from both LFC and CFC, and is tantamount to condoning players using racist language.

Its like the 70s all over again.

I assume John Barnes had his LFC official tie on when he gave this ridiculous interview. And he's supposed to be an 'intelligent' footballer as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-16309990

sesoim
23-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Ben Thatcher got an eight game ban for his shocking assault on Pedro Mendes. While I think there should be an automatic ban for racist remarks (and many OTHER types of remarks), I think it is sending out a strange message to give the same length of ban for a stupid comment and a physical assault.

Also, people in the UK are getting on their high horse about what people say all the time but everybody is capable of saying stupid offensive comments in the heat of the moment, especially when in a pumped up competitive environment. If you want to set a good example surely you also have to show some common sense when judging these cases.

I fear that the way the media and certain individuals (eg Jason Roberts, Rio Ferdinand) keep on jumping on every case like this will do more harm than good to race relations in this country.

sesoim
23-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Who mentioned the FA? You think those rolling eyes make you sound clever?
Speaking of Evra as a black man here, confronted with a racist in his face he ran to the referee and then the press. Doesn't say much about how offended he really was, but it does show remarkable self-control.
Remarkable.
Personally I would rather he had lamped him. In fact it should be expected. To counteract the racism, not to er, 'go along with it'.....
And I don't give a flying **** about your FA.

Bollox.
It would set out a great example to any young player considering racism as a way forward in the game, or indeed life.

Complete garbage. Anybody that "lamps" someone for something they have said is a complete thug. Evra acted like a normal person and reported it. Thank God most people here don't have your attitude here or it would end up being like Iraq.

sesoim
23-12-2011, 11:23 PM
The interesting thing about both the Suarez and Terry cases is the unseemly haste with which the clubs and the teammates involved are rushing to the defence of the accused. Chelsea's defence (that Terry was quoting someone else's racist language) seems paper-thin, and Liverpool's 'cultural relativism' defence about South America is just ridiculous. (maybe the BBC should try this with Hansen? We all say 'coloured' in Scotland, its a cultural difference you know:dummytit:) Despicable from both LFC and CFC, and is tantamount to condoning players using racist language.

Its like the 70s all over again.

I assume John Barnes had his LFC official tie on when he gave this ridiculous interview. And he's supposed to be an 'intelligent' footballer as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-16309990

If Hansen had said "people of colour" he wouldn't have been accused of being a racist. But it shows the mentality of some people in this country that you can be accused of racism for saying something slightly wrongly. He wasn't even specifically referring to black people anyway (he was referring to blacks, mixed raced, Asian, North African, Latin Americans and so on, who have also suffered racism at times).

It's actually pretty arrogant and ignorant of the people who complained about Hansen to assume he was only referring to black people. Racism affects most races, but some people are too obsessed with their own agendas to notice.