PDA

View Full Version : Calum Murray to Ref New Year Derby

midlothianhibby
21-12-2011, 01:11 PM
I certainly think there are worse referees around than Calum Murray, but I do recall that he missed a stonewall penalty for us in the New Year Derby game at Tyncastle last January. Hopefully he makes up for it this time round?

And I see we have Bobby Madden for the Scottish Cup tie at Cowedenbeath, another glory seeking referee if you ask me.

Dr Jimmy
21-12-2011, 01:15 PM
I certainly think there are worse referees around than Calum Murray, but I do recall that he missed a stonewall penalty for us in the New Year Derby game at Tyncastle last January. Hopefully he makes up for it this time round?

And I see we have Bobby Madden for the Scottish Cup tie at Cowedenbeath, another glory seeking referee if you ask me.

Murray is a Jambo and should not be allowed near a Hibs or Hearts game, could you imagine the SPL allowing a Celtic or Rangers fan ref an old firm game....:confused:

Purple & Green
21-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Murray is a Jambo and should not be allowed near a Hibs or Hearts game, could you imagine the SPL allowing a Celtic or Rangers fan ref an old firm game....:confused:

The stats bear that out - he hasn't reffed a Hibs win since 2006. In that time he's reffed us 9 times. He doesn't seem to have had any problems reffing Hearts wins in this time and even managed to give them a last minute penalty at Parkhead recently.

I'm not one for paranoia - I don't think 'the worlds against us' mentality will help us out of our predicament - but Fenlon's not getting any breaks.

JimBHibees
21-12-2011, 01:41 PM
The stats bear that out - he hasn't reffed a Hibs win since 2006. In that time he's reffed us 9 times. He doesn't seem to have had any problems reffing Hearts wins in this time and even managed to give them a last minute penalty at Parkhead recently.

I'm not one for paranoia - I don't think 'the worlds against us' mentality will help us out of our predicament - but Fenlon's not getting any breaks.

To be fair to Murray who I think is one of the better Scottish refs the chances of him reffing a game which Hibs have won in the last 3 years or so would be akin to coinciding with a sighting of Haley's comet. :greengrin

Spike Mandela
21-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Top referees are like us they probably got in to football by supporting a team as a youngster. This shouln't stop them from reffing top teams and top games.

I am sure there will have been refs who have done an OF game who have supported one or the other in the past. For obvious reasons they wouldn't shout this from the rooftops in case of media frenzy. Their professional pride should stop them from doing anything as blatantly juvenile as being biased towards the team they may have supported in the past. I don't remember Dougie McDonald doing us many favours in Derbies.

IMO both teams have more to fear about incompetence of our top refs (exemplified by Mr Craig Thomson this week) as opposed to bias. Let's not go down the Celtic paranoia route.:flag:

bruno
21-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Murray is a Jambo and should not be allowed near a Hibs or Hearts game, could you imagine the SPL allowing a Celtic or Rangers fan ref an old firm game....:confused: Not much different from Dougie McDonald refereeing Edinburgh derbies very much in favour of Hibs. I think overall standard of officials in Scotland is at an all time low. Murray is purely best of a bad lot.

Hibercelona
21-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Not much different from Dougie McDonald refereeing Edinburgh derbies very much in favour of Hibs. I think overall standard of officials in Scotland is at an all time low. Murray is purely best of a bad lot.

That's a load of p!sh. :rolleyes:

What has McDonald done thats been remotely bias in a derby game? :confused:

Bayern Bru
21-12-2011, 01:54 PM
I suppose I'd rather have Murray than that erse Collum. Who, by the way, is reffing the Old Firm game . :tee hee:

We can't blame refs four our inability to win matches, if we're being honest. Every ref has made bad calls and every ref has been seemingly in favour of one team over the other.

As Spike said, the worrying part is the incompetence of our referees. But, as demonstrated by Craig Thomson at Pittodrie, it's enough to get you a reffing job at the European Championships. :rolleyes:

HibsMax
21-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Are refs full time? I used to work beside Callum when he was at John Menzies (mid 90s). Obviously there was some Hibs/Hearts banter but he always seemed very level headed, fair and balanced. Not sure what he's like as a ref though.

truehibernian
21-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Not much different from Dougie McDonald refereeing Edinburgh derbies very much in favour of Hibs. I think overall standard of officials in Scotland is at an all time low. Murray is purely best of a bad lot.

Very true bruno and Murray is not a bad ref at all. However Dougie never made public in football magazines that he was a Hibs fan.....Callum did (early in his refereeing career). A little niave if you ask me and leads to the inevitable questioning of decisions when he ref's either club.

Until recently I would have said Conroy was the best by a country mile to be honest.

Bayern Bru
21-12-2011, 01:59 PM

Hibs never won a derby that was refereed by McDonald, the most recent being a 2-1 victory for Hearts in May 2010.

Check yer facts, pal.

Incidentally, Calum Murray was ref in the 81/19 game at ER, the only Hibs derby victory he's officiated in.

Johnny_Leith
21-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Hibs never won a derby that was refereed by McDonald, the most recent being a 2-1 victory for Hearts in May 2010. Check yer facts, pal.Incidentally, Calum Murray was ref in the 81/19 game at ER, the only Hibs derby victory he's officiated in.Did we not get a dodgy pen in the May 2010 game? John rankin fell over nothing if I recall :D

bingo70
21-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Pretty sure it was dougie McDonald refereeing when we got a penalty after Rankin took a pretty blatant dive in the box.

I know murrays brother and he is a right staunch jambo I always looked out for any possible bias but just wasn't there, imo he's the best ref in Scotland so I'm not worried about him being the ref.

BTW any stats about us not winning since 2006 are more likely to be to do with us being absolutely pish for most of that time rather than who the ref was

Bayern Bru
21-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Pretty sure it was dougie McDonald refereeing when we got a penalty after Rankin took a pretty blatant dive in the box.

I know murrays brother and he is a right staunch jambo I always looked out for any possible bias but just wasn't there, imo he's the best ref in Scotland so I'm not worried about him being the ref.

BTW any stats about us not winning since 2006 are more likely to be to do with us being absolutely pish for most of that time rather than who the ref was

Yep, early in the second half. However, the fact remains that in all the derbies he refereed, Hibs never won or got a lucky/dodgy draw so I don't see how we've benefited from his apparent Hibs-supporting bias.

And certainly, with regards the bit in bold.

Sergeant Hibs
21-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Dont think he's that bad tbh

bruno
21-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Hibs never won a derby that was refereed by McDonald, the most recent being a 2-1 victory for Hearts in May 2010. Check yer facts, pal. Incidentally, Calum Murray was ref in the 81/19 game at ER, the only Hibs derby victory he's officiated in. Just a bit of banter don't take it seriously. The rankin penalty was indeed a shocker irrespective of the final result. He's been truly shocking in many many Hearts games over the years including trying to take our cup final away and give to Gretna. There are many instances with statistics for the paranoid amongst us but not going to bore you on your teams forum. Whoever the ref is i hope he has no bearing on the outcome of the game. I can't wait already only down side is i'm in upper tier i much prefer the bottom

ronaldo7
21-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Just a bit of banter don't take it seriously. The rankin penalty was indeed a shocker irrespective of the final result. He's been truly shocking in many many Hearts games over the years including trying to take our cup final away and give to Gretna. There are many instances with statistics for the paranoid amongst us but not going to bore you on your teams forum. Whoever the ref is i hope he has no bearing on the outcome of the game. I can't wait already only down side is i'm in upper tier i much prefer the bottom

Most yams do:wink:

Hibercelona
21-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Just a bit of banter don't take it seriously. The rankin penalty was indeed a shocker irrespective of the final result. He's been truly shocking in many many Hearts games over the years including trying to take our cup final away and give to Gretna. There are many instances with statistics for the paranoid amongst us but not going to bore you on your teams forum. Whoever the ref is i hope he has no bearing on the outcome of the game. I can't wait already only down side is i'm in upper tier i much prefer the bottom

Gretna were just better than Hearts that day.

I seem to recall plookey in goal trying to be a smart arse a few times and nearly gifted 2-3 goals to Gretna.

Considering Hearts had spent in excess of 10,000,000 that year, it's a bit of a joke that a team almost dead in the water managed to take your team all the way to penalties.

Bayern Bru
21-12-2011, 06:01 PM

Eh? :confused:

I didn't take anything seriously, I stated a fact... :rolleyes:

bruno
21-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Eh? :confused: I didn't take anything seriously, I stated a fact... :rolleyes: But it.s not a fact as mentioned elsewhere he gave hibs a worse than dubious penalty in a game we eventually won . My fact was he had favoured hibs at no point did i say hibs had won the game

Hibs Class
21-12-2011, 06:37 PM
But it.s not a fact as mentioned elsewhere he gave hibs a worse than dubious penalty in a game we eventually won . My fact was he had favoured hibs at no point did i say hibs had won the game

That's not a fact, that's an opinion. Maybe he just made an honest mistake?

bruno
21-12-2011, 06:48 PM
That's not a fact, that's an opinion. Maybe he just made an honest mistake? No problem don't want to cause offence let's hope the referee has no influence when you play what's left of our team on the 2nd and may the best team win.. . As long as they play in maroon. I had no idea what 81/19 meant in terms of the derby so i've learnt something new. Just shows it's not always best team win just the one with most desire.

Hibs07p
22-12-2011, 06:32 AM
I'm sure Murray was the ref in the "Berra leaped like a salmon" incident that got Fletcher sent off at ER. Apart from that I think he is Scotland's best ref at present.

Geo_1875
22-12-2011, 06:53 AM
I don't think being the best of the poor collection of match officials currently employed in Scotland is much of a claim to fame. It's bad enough him getting to referee any Hibs game, but to give him the derby is a joke. Guaranteed controversy.

JimBHibees
22-12-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm sure Murray was the ref in the "Berra leaped like a salmon" incident that got Fletcher sent off at ER. Apart from that I think he is Scotland's best ref at present.

That was Craig Thomson, seems to be a pattern developing with him after Saturday and think he was also the ref when he gave Pars a soft penalty in Scottish cup semi.

Cabbage East
22-12-2011, 09:00 AM
****** that. A joke decision.

son of haggart
22-12-2011, 04:14 PM
IMO he's a good ref but when officiating Hearts gams givesus very litle and I believe he over-compensates.

I think as a matter of principle referees should declare any allegiances and should not referee games involving their own team or its rivals.

Hermit Crab
22-12-2011, 04:26 PM
IMO he's a good ref but when officiating Hearts gams givesus very litle and I believe he over-compensates.

I think as a matter of principle referees should declare any allegiances and should not referee games involving their own team or its rivals.

:fibber: :wink:

Purple & Green
02-01-2012, 08:43 PM

It doesn't hide our problems - and they are numerous - but lets not kid ourselves we got the breaks today because we didn't.

bob12345
02-01-2012, 09:03 PM

I'm sure by the law of averages, OF supporting referees have refereed plenty of Rangers Celtic games. If you were wanting to make it as a top level referee and supported one of the OF - that would mean you couldn't referee cup finals or league deciders?

northern-hibee
02-01-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm sure by the law of averages, OF supporting referees have refereed plenty of Rangers Celtic games. If you were wanting to make it as a top level referee and supported one of the OF - that would mean you couldn't referee cup finals or league deciders?

Yes and far better the scottish game would be without them. No place in the game for scottish refs, the sooner we get foreign ones in the sooner any suggestion of bias will be removed. Todays Jambo supporting refs just proves it.

Ozyhibby
02-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Ian Murray could have reffed today and we would still have lost.

Steve-O
02-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Could have had at least one penalty today but we were still pish regardless.

Leithenhibby
02-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Thought the Ref was poor today and I'm not hiding the fact that we were also poor.

I think he called some big decisions wrong at key moments of the game ...

As I say, I'm not hiding the fact that we have bigger fish to fry at the moment.... But he just was not good/strong enough for me.....

ForrieGreen
03-01-2012, 05:03 PM
The SPL gets such a bad name and tbh it is probably deserved with awful decisions to let a Hibs or Hearts fan ref a derby. Personally i think yesterday was clear evidence of that. We don't stand much of a chance if the game is unfair from the outset. Surely its possible for a mutual ref to be assigned for games as big as the derby or the OF.