PDA

View Full Version : Suarez banned for 8 games (merged)

SteveHFC
20-12-2011, 08:08 PM
An Independent Regulatory Commission has today [Tuesday 20 December 2011] found a charge of misconduct against Luis Suarez proven, and have issued a suspension for a period of eight matches as well as fining him £40,000, pending appeal.

On 16 November 2011, The Football Association charged Luis Suarez with misconduct contrary to FA Rule E3 in relation to the Liverpool FC versus Manchester United FC fixture on 15 October 2011.

A hearing took place from 14-20 December 2011 before an Independent Regulatory Commission of The FA to consider the charge.

The Independent Regulatory Commission announced its decision on 20 December 2011, which is as follows:

Mr Suarez used insulting words towards Mr Evra during the match contrary to FA Rule E3(1);
the insulting words used by Mr Suarez included a reference to Mr Evra's colour within the meaning of Rule E3(2);
Mr Suarez shall be warned as to his future conduct, be suspended for eight matches covering all first team competitive matches and fined the sum of £40,000;
the [penalty] is suspended pending the outcome of any appeal lodged by Mr Suarez against this decision.
The Independent Regulatory Commission will provide written reasons for its decision in due course setting out:

(a) the findings of fact made by it;

(b) the reasons for its decision finding the charge proved; and

© the reasons for the penalty.

Mr Suarez has the right to appeal the decision of the Independent Regulatory Commission to an Appeal Board. An appeal must be lodged within 14 days of the date of the written reasons for the decision.

The penalty is suspended until after the outcome of any appeal, or the time for appealing expires, or should Mr Suarez decide not to appeal. The reason for this is to ensure that the penalty does not take effect before any appeal so that Mr Suarez has an effective right of appeal.

silverhibee
20-12-2011, 08:12 PM
John Terry will be keeking himself.

Wotherspiniesta
20-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Good. No place for it in football.

Sir David Gray
20-12-2011, 08:18 PM
I wonder if Liverpool will be sacking him. Any ordinary person found guilty of insulting someone on the basis of their race in the workplace would be dismissed.

Dalglish's comments so far on the whole case would suggest that won't be happening but it probably should.

poolman
20-12-2011, 08:23 PM
I wonder if Liverpool will be sacking him. Any ordinary person found guilty of insulting someone on the basis of their race in the workplace would be dismissed.

Dalglish's comments so far on the whole case would suggest that won't be happening but it probably should.

It's gonna be very interesting to hear Dalglish's comments on this

He knows full well that racism wont be tolerated but he's already come out in support of his player :hmmm::hmmm:

leither17
20-12-2011, 08:53 PM
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/liverpool-fc-statement-8 club statement there

CMac1988
20-12-2011, 09:04 PM
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/liverpool-fc-statement-8 club statement there

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/liverpool-fc-statement-20-12-11

:wink:

Hibs Class
20-12-2011, 09:06 PM
I wonder if Liverpool will be sacking him. Any ordinary person found guilty of insulting someone on the basis of their race in the workplace would be dismissed.Dalglish's comments so far on the whole case would suggest that won't be happening but it probably should.Liverpool's statement suggests they will support him. But then football doesn't adhere to normal rules or decency, e.g. Keane's career ending brutal pre-meditated assault on Haaland should have led to him being sacked and prosecuted, but of course it didn't.

leither17
20-12-2011, 09:09 PM
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/liverpool-fc-statement-20-12-11:wink:They changed it mugged me off the cants lol

CFC
20-12-2011, 09:18 PM
I love how they mention that Suarez is of "mixed heritage" as if that has any relevance at all. If you are Urugyuan (with European and Native American blood) it does not excuse racial abuse.

leither17
20-12-2011, 09:21 PM
I love how they mention that Suarez is of "mixed heritage" as if that has any relevance at all. If you are Urugyuan (with European and Native American blood) it does not excuse racial abuse.Think its to do with his granfather being black but no doesn't excuse it

SquashedFrogg
20-12-2011, 09:33 PM
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/liverpool-fc-statement-20-12-11

Shock horror!! If this had been an average, run of the mill player or youth player with no potential he'd be out!

But no, he happen's to be their most important player.

Disgraceful, shocking..

Liverpool, the people's club (aye right)

Should be ashamed of themselves...

Suarez = Racist

SquashedFrogg
20-12-2011, 09:38 PM
I love how they mention that Suarez is of "mixed heritage" as if that has any relevance at all. If you are Urugyuan (with European and Native American blood) it does not excuse racial abuse.

I heard Gus Poyet (who i actually quite like) on the radio last week saying that it's normal in Uruguay to call people names relating to their colour. Trying to justify the situation.

Nah, No danger.

Maybe over their but not here I'm afraid :confused:

Suarez = Racist

H18sry
20-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Suarez is from mixed race grandparents, so I would find it hard to believe that he was a racist

CFC
20-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Suarez is from mixed race grandparents, so I would find it hard to believe that he was a racistAnyone is capable of racism regardless of ethnicity or nationality. Its not just confined to the stereotype skinhead types.

Green_one
20-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Suarez is from mixed race grandparents, so I would find it hard to believe that he was a racist

Sounds a bit like the Rangers - my best friend / mother / auntie is a Catholic. Does not stop you being a bigot or a racist. Its what you DO that counts, not who your relatives were.

Liverpool have played this very badly and continue to do so. Denial is not going to be good in the long run. Doubt the American owner is impressed.

I did think we were getting beyond all this. :rolleyes:

Pete
20-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Where is the actual physical evidence?

Nobody else heard it and no cameras picked anything up. If a bunch of suits simply took one mans word over another then liverpool are quite right to be livid.

leither17
20-12-2011, 10:20 PM

Nobody else heard it and no cameras picked anything up. If a bunch of suits simply took one mans word over another then liverpool are quite right to be livid.

no place for racism but that is right the fa will have to clarify the decision

BoltonHibee
20-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Good. No place for it in football.

Or anywhere else for that matter

H18sry
20-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Anyone is capable of racism regardless of ethnicity or nationality. Its not just confined to the stereotype skinhead types.

Sounds a bit like the Rangers - my best friend / mother / auntie is a Catholic. Does not stop you being a bigot or a racist. Its what you DO that counts, not who your relatives were.

Liverpool have played this very badly and continue to do so. Denial is not going to be good in the long run. Doubt the American owner is impressed.

I did think we were getting beyond all this. :rolleyes:

I never said he was or was not, I said I'd find it hard to believe :rolleyes:

Irish_Steve
20-12-2011, 10:53 PM
As a Liverpool fan, I find this whole affair confusing. I do not condone what Suarez said and I would actually prefer it if he wasn`t at the club anymore as I dont want players who racially abuse others to be playing for my team.

Some will just see this as a good way of having a dig at Liverpool and it will take a long time for this stain on Saurez`s character to be removed.

the confusing part tho is what evidence what he actually convicted on. From what I have read, Suarez said he used a term commonly using in Uruguay but that`s no excuse and that was the basis of the verdict.

What has kinda been over-looked is that Evra also admitted to using a derogatory term in Spanish at Suarez but Suarez says he didnt hear it! Two wrongs don`t make a right but if Suarez can be found guilty because he owned up, will Evra be found similarly guilty?

Sir David Gray
20-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Correct!..How one man's evidence against another involving "words" said in the mayhem of a match like that is simply nonsense! - There can't be any witnesses as none of the ManU team can speak English,never mind Spanish!

Ehhh...

David de Gea (Spanish)
Javier Hernandez (Mexican)
Antonio Valencia (Ecuadorian)

:dunno:

Future17
20-12-2011, 11:10 PM

Liverpool have played this very badly and continue to do so. Denial is not going to be good in the long run. Doubt the American owner is impressed. I did think we were getting beyond all this. :rolleyes:

What's him being American got to do with it?

Hibbie_Cameron
20-12-2011, 11:11 PM
If Liverpool dont appeal and the 8 game ban starts now, I believe Suarez first game back would be at Old Trafford

lucky
20-12-2011, 11:14 PM
KD claim the FA should not have appealed Rooneys ban as it sets a bad example. Well if he is true to his word he should not be appealing against the ban for this racists ****bag

HH81
20-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Can anyone show me the incident?

Can't remember this....

Skanko79
20-12-2011, 11:20 PM
He's got of lightly i think. Should have been punished the same as any other person. If i racially abused someone in the street saying what he apparantley said to Evra id be locked up.

McHibby
21-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Where is the actual physical evidence? Nobody else heard it and no cameras picked anything up. If a bunch of suits simply took one mans word over another then liverpool are quite right to be livid.He himself admitted using the term 'negro' (or the Spanish equivilent). Liverpool's logic is nuts. They think the fact Evra admitted using an offensive word to Suarez means he should be charged, but don't believe the fact their own player admitted using a certain word should be accepted as evidence??? They cannae have it both ways. Even if for argument's sake you are willing to accept he was merely using it as a descriptive word, why on earth would you need to be describing someone's race/colour during a football match?

sevenzero
21-12-2011, 02:38 AM
This article sums it up for me ! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/mobile/football/16262537.stm

davey 2 good
21-12-2011, 05:48 AM
I would not believe a word that evra says he has history of saying people are racisist and been found to be false

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
21-12-2011, 07:35 AM

Correct, there is no other evidence apart from the word of Evra, not the first time he has accused a Liverpool player of being a racist either! Ban suspended pending an appeal which will surely see this farcial decision overturned.

duffers
21-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Evra started his statement by saying ' I know Suarez is not a racist person'. And it's Evras word against Suarez. Obviously we knew who the FA would agree with

kev32
21-12-2011, 10:51 AM
No corroborative evidence, one persons word against another and they find him guilty, its a joke. FA obviously trying to make an example of someone, given their 'kick racism out of football' campaign.

As another poster said, wonder what John Terry must be thinking as I'm sure there are a number of QPR players who have heard him abuse Ferdinand.

Scouse Hibee
21-12-2011, 10:55 AM

Yes, but we all know that footballers are exempt from punishment that would apply to normal employees. Still not convinced about the validity of hearing regarding the lack of evidence other than Evra's, but would hate to think that Liverpool would stick by him if he did indeed make these racist comments.

Andy74
21-12-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't think there is much need for all the big type with Suarez is a racist.

All the evidence and opinion from people that know him suggests that he is not at all racist.

I think what has happended here is that he has used some language which could be construed as racist or having a racist element. I don't think it was malicious. I recall Suarez saying after the game that what he said to Evra incuded a term that his team mates had also called Evra and he genuinely did not think that it was offensive.

A Uruguyan talking to a Frenchman in England, you can see that there might be a few differences in understandings in there.

blackpoolhibs
21-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Correct, there is no other evidence apart from the word of Evra, not the first time he has accused a Liverpool player of being a racist either! Ban suspended pending an appeal which will surely see this farcial decision overturned.

Listening to the radio this morning, and they said Suarez has admitted using certain words that are racist in this country, but not considered racist in south america. For me that says he is guilty and deserves the punishment.

If he did not know what his words meant then, and i doubt that, he certainly does now. And it will send the message out loud and clear its not acceptable.

On the same programme it mentioned how an everton fan had called Saha a lazy french so and so, and was banned from goodison park for 3 years. Suarez can count himself lucky he's not just a fan on the terraces it seems.

Scouse Hibee
21-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Shock horror!! If this had been an average, run of the mill player or youth player with no potential he'd be out!

But no, he happen's to be their most important player.

Disgraceful, shocking..

Liverpool, the people's club (aye right)

Should be ashamed of themselves...

Suarez = Racist

No not right, in fact totally incorrect as it is Everton who have adopted the "Peoples Club" tag!!!!!

BroxburnHibee
21-12-2011, 11:08 AM
No corroborative evidence, one persons word against another and they find him guilty, its a joke. FA obviously trying to make an example of someone, given their 'kick racism out of football' campaign.

As another poster said, wonder what John Terry must be thinking as I'm sure there are a number of QPR players who have heard him abuse Ferdinand.

He admitted using the word - hardly 'one persons word against another'

H18sry
21-12-2011, 11:11 AM
The Crown Prosecution Service is expected to announce today whether England captain John Terry will be charged with the alleged racial abuse of Qpr’s Anton Ferdinand.
The CPS will make a statement this afternoon over the alleged comments to the Queens Park Rangers defender while Terry was playing for Chelsea in a Barclays Premier League match at Loftus Road on October 23.
The news comes days after new footage was handed to prosecutors, who have been considering whether there is enough evidence to bring charges against the footballer.
SOURCE: Daily Mirror
Given to the ban handed to Liverpool striker Luis Suarez last night many are expecting that if found guilty of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand, Chelsea captain John Terry can expect a similar punishment. The FA are sure to take the lead on any potential punishment from the Crown Prosecution Service, i.e. if the CPS finds the England skipper guilty then they will act accordingly and hand the centre back a ban, if he is found innocent then in many ways the FA’s job is already done and no ban is likely.

It will be interesting to see what the CPS say

JimBHibees
21-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Listening to the radio this morning, and they said Suarez has admitted using certain words that are racist in this country, but not considered racist in south america. For me that says he is guilty and deserves the punishment.

If he did not know what his words meant then, and i doubt that, he certainly does now. And it will send the message out loud and clear its not acceptable.

That would be my view also. I personally find it hard to believe that Suarez wouldnt know the likely impact of what he was saying. I think we also need to put into context thjat Suarez played and I think captained Ajax for 3 years a team with a large amount of black players. You would have thought he would have learned what is and isnt acceptable.

Personally found Dalglish's slavish support of him a bit cringeworthy also.

H18sry
21-12-2011, 11:23 AM
That would be my view also. I personally find it hard to believe that Suarez wouldnt know the likely impact of what he was saying. I think we also need to put into context thjat Suarez played and I think captained Ajax for 3 years a team with a large amount of black players. You would have thought he would have learned what is and isnt acceptable.

Personally found Dalglish's slavish support of him a bit cringeworthy also.

Its a fact of life, teams are always going to back there star player's,in very few cases do they get shot of them, even with the Chelsea drugs scandal they were wanting shot of Mutu anyway.

StevieC
21-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Its a fact of life, teams are always going to back there star player's,in very few cases do they get shot of them, even with the Chelsea drugs scandal they were wanting shot of Mutu anyway.

Even if KD wanted to get rid of the player, there is absolutely no way that the owner/board would sanction it. He is pretty much in a corner here and is almost duty bound to support the player.

I've mixed feelings about this because, whilst what the player did is without doubt wrong, I think the club have a duty to support and educate.

For example .. Scotland is full of bigots, but why do they become bigots? It is all about how they are brought up and what society (their society) deems to be acceptable. We have people at football matches shouting "fenian" this or "orange" that and very little is ever done about it. It takes these people to be moved out of their current environments before it is brought home to them that it's unacceptable (and not just a bit of banter).

If South American society finds such comments acceptable then surely it is our duty to educate at the earliest opportunity, rather than wait and punish.

I'm no lover of Liverpool (or Kenny Dalglish) but I do think that this punishment is a bit harsh, and an appeal is probably par for the course.

John Terry, on the other hand .. :hmmm:

southfieldhibby
21-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Name them.

If you refer to Steve Finnan, I think you'll find it was a couple of deaf TV viewers that made the complaint.Evra declined to comment or report the apparent incident.Not the actions of a player bent of playing the race card, is it?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/mar/01/newsstory.sport4

Or if you mean the incident involving Chelsea ground-staff, that wasn't Evra either, it was Phelan and Hartis who filed a compliant citing racism.Again, Evra declined to comment.
http://soccerlens.com/the-fas-evra-report-the-united-perspective/19035/

Another case of Liverpool supporters distorting the facts to suit their clubs agenda?This is the first time Patrice Evra has made a complaint about racist abuse.

Andy74
21-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Even if KD wanted to get rid of the player, there is absolutely no way that the owner/board would sanction it. He is pretty much in a corner here and is almost duty bound to support the player.

I've mixed feelings about this because, whilst what the player did is without doubt wrong, I think the club have a duty to support and educate.

For example .. Scotland is full of bigots, but why do they become bigots? It is all about how they are brought up and what society (their society) deems to be acceptable. We have people at football matches shouting "fenian" this or "orange" that and very little is ever done about it. It takes these people to be moved out of their current environments before it is brought home to them that it's unacceptable (and not just a bit of banter).

If South American society finds such comments acceptable then surely it is our duty to educate at the earliest opportunity, rather than wait and punish.

I'm no lover of Liverpool (or Kenny Dalglish) but I do think that this punishment is a bit harsh, and an appeal is probably par for the course.

John Terry, on the other hand .. :hmmm:

Agree and I don't think its a big education job with him. I don't think he is racist so he doesn't need to learn that that is wrong.

What we are talking about is use of a word or a phrase that just does not have the same meaning here as he is used to. I think the club are right to suggest there is no big deal here and that the length of suspension is extreme in the circumstances.

The Terry one would appear to be a bit different but even then, is his defence not that he was repeating to Ferdinand something that he thought he was being asked that he said? (If that makes sense - ie - Terry said something like are you saying I called you a black something?)

jonty
21-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Listening to the radio this morning, and they said Suarez has admitted using certain words that are racist in this country, but not considered racist in south america. For me that says he is guilty and deserves the punishment.If he did not know what his words meant then, and i doubt that, he certainly does now. And it will send the message out loud and clear its not acceptable.On the same programme it mentioned how an everton fan had called Saha a lazy french so and so, and was banned from goodison park for 3 years. Suarez can count himself lucky he's not just a fan on the terraces it seems. :agree:

Its all about context, it appears. This part from the BBC report highlights it

Powar said Fare has taken advice on the abusive word used by Suarez and the context of similar words in South American dialect. He added: "If it is used in a friendly fashion then it is acceptable, it turns immediately to a hostile meaning if it is used as an offensive word. "Taking the context of that game, it is difficult to see how he would have used it in a friendly way."

Scouse Hibee
21-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Name them.

If you refer to Steve Finnan, I think you'll find it was a couple of deaf TV viewers that made the complaint.Evra declined to comment or report the apparent incident.Not the actions of a player bent of playing the race card, is it?

Or if you mean the incident involving Chelsea ground-staff, that wasn't Evra either, it was Phelan and Hartis who filed a compliant citing racism.Again, Evra declined to comment.

Another case of Liverpool supporters distorting the facts to suit their clubs agenda?This is the first time Patrice Evra has made a complaint about racist abuse.

No it's not a case of that at all, it's a case of this Liverpool supporter not researching the facts and making an erse of himself on this occasion!!! I am however big enough to hold my hand up and admit my post was incorrect and Evra has never made a previous complaint about racist abuse. Now where's that hole?

Hibs Class
21-12-2011, 12:34 PM
I still recall Suarez cheating Ghana and robbing them of progress in the last World Cup by preventing a goal in the last minute or so of extra time, when he handled the ball on the line. After the game he then showed no remorse and was apparently hailed a hero in Uruguay.

If somebody has to endure this controversy it couldn't happen to a nore suitable person - what goes around comes around.

southfieldhibby
21-12-2011, 12:36 PM
No it's not a case of that at all, it's a case of this Liverpool supporter not researching the facts and making an erse of himself on this occasion!!! I am however big enough to hold my hand up and admit my post was incorrect and Evra has never made a previous complaint about racist abuse. Now where's that hole?

Fair enough, but you're not alone.RAWK today is full of similar nonsense.

southfieldhibby
21-12-2011, 12:37 PM
I still recall Suarez cheating Ghana and robbing them of progress in the last World Cup by preventing a goal in the last minute or so of extra time, when he handled the ball on the line. After the game he then showed no remorse and was apparently hailed a hero in Uruguay.

If somebody has to endure this controversy it couldn't happen to a nore suitable person - what goes around comes around.

That's about as relevant as when he bit an opposing player during a match for Ajax last year...by which I mean totally irrelevant, but you begin to build up a picture of a pretty odious human.

Scouse Hibee
21-12-2011, 12:37 PM

I thought cheating by the use of a hand was in fact accepted and celebrated in Scotland especially at the expense of England!

Andy74
21-12-2011, 12:39 PM

Eh?

Linking the two is pathetic.

Of course he is a hero - he took the gamble of getting sent off to help the team, something we'd all have loved Dave Beaumont to have done by the way. Ghana could quite easily have scored the penalty, they would still be through and Suarez would have been banned for a game for his troubles. It is a game.

Hibs Class
21-12-2011, 12:40 PM
That's about as relevant as when he bit an opposing player during a match for Ajax last year...by which I mean totally irrelevant, but you begin to build up a picture of a pretty odious human.

Yep. I agree it's irrelevant to this case but that it makes it harder to feel overly sympathetic to him.

Scouse Hibee
21-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Fair enough, but you're not alone.RAWK today is full of similar nonsense.

Aw come on you're surely not suggesting that other clubs fans including Hibs would not have a huge section who would come out and try to support/defend in a similar situation?

heretoday
21-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I see he has been fined £40,000 as well as his ban. That's a joke frankly. Where do the FA get these amounts from?

When you consider all the millions spent on Kick Racism out of Football campaigns and the like, I reckon he should have been fined a sizeable sum. It's the only language these mercenary footballers understand.

As to the eight-game ban - that's not punishing Suarez. It's depriving his club and their fans which doesn't seem right somehow.

blackpoolhibs
21-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Aw come on you're surely not suggesting that other clubs fans including Hibs would not have a huge section who would come out and try to support/defend in a similar situation?

I agree some fans do try and defend the indefensible, it still does not make it right though. 8 games for me is sending out the right message, although i fully expect it to be reduced. I wouldn't want to be in John Terry's shoes today either.

southfieldhibby
21-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Well put it this way, if a Hibs player had been found guilty of the same and .net/the bounce was full of supporters using inaccurate information to defend that player, it would confirm to me that each and every support has a fair % of bawbags in their support, including our own.

Fwiw, I think the punishment is a tad heavy...8 game ban with half suspended based on future conduct would have been acceptable to Liverpool I'd guess..which doesn't help Suarez, as he's gonna get hammered for his actions at Craven Cottage too.

See a picture developing on Suarez here?

blackpoolhibs
21-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Well put it this way, if a Hibs player had been found guilty of the same and .net/the bounce was full of supporters using inaccurate information to defend that player, it would confirm to me that each and every support has a fair % of bawbags in their support, including our own.

Fwiw, I think the punishment is a tad heavy...8 game ban with half suspended based on future conduct would have been acceptable to Liverpool I'd guess..which doesn't help Suarez, as he's gonna get hammered for his actions at Craven Cottage too.

I dont see that myself, especially when you consider a fan has been banned for 3 years for calling a player a french (insert your own swear word?)

Where is the consistency here?

southfieldhibby
21-12-2011, 01:00 PM
I dont see that myself, especially when you consider a fan has been banned for 3 years for calling a player a french (insert your own swear word?)

Where is the consistency here?

The problem here is the nuance of the word used.It's used frequently in Uruguay as a term not considered racist.Ban him for 4, tell him that a beady eye is being trained on him and possibly increase the fine to a sum that would be significant to a modern day footballer...£40K is not really significant to these boys.

Scouse Hibee
21-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Which does nothing to answer the question I asked! Have you never seen GOC or Deek defended to the hilt on this forum by he bawbgas in our support when they have broken the law or would you rather forget that?

I don't need to see a picture of Suarez on here to recognise his undoubted ability as a footballer, as a person he may be less than perfect but we've forgiven "our own" plenty in the past have we not?

Hibs Class
21-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Eh?

Linking the two is pathetic.

Of course he is a hero - he took the gamble of getting sent off to help the team, something we'd all have loved Dave Beaumont to have done by the way. Ghana could quite easily have scored the penalty, they would still be through and Suarez would have been banned for a game for his troubles. It is a game.

I don't think it's pathetic. Suaraz was central in both incidents therefore the link is there. His world cup cheating is irrelevant to whatever happened at Anfield but my point that it's harder to have sympathy for him remains.

As for him being a hero, absolutely right, that is how the Uruguayan's see him. It's right Ghana could have scored the penalty and gone through, but they didn't and they went out. Had Suaraz not cheated they would have scored a goal and probably gone through anyway.

Your more casual acceptance of cheating is a fairly typical attitude these days, mores the pity. Sometimes your team benefits, sometimes it doesn't. I think we lost out in that respect as recently as Saturday. However my view is that cheating damages our game and could destroy it altogether. So I won't be making any apologies for condemning it when I see it.

Captain Trips
21-12-2011, 01:08 PM
IMO in a name calling situation which I guess is childish to a point you would try and say something you think will annoy/hurt the other, fatty, specky, baldy, etc etc perhaps saying something on their colour you know will annoy them like the names above. A person of different colour to you might also be bald might also be overweight but the aggresor might think a mention of colour might be more annoying.

I deem a racist not somebody who calls a name due to colour but somebody whom does not like a person solely down to race.

Scouse Hibee
21-12-2011, 01:14 PM
IMO in a name calling situation which I guess is childish to a point you would try and say something you think will annoy/hurt the other, fatty, specky, baldy, etc etc perhaps saying something on their colour you know will annoy them like the names above. A person of different colour to you might also be bald might also be overweight but the aggresor might think a mention of colour might be more annoying.

I deem a racist not somebody who calls a name due to colour but somebody whom does not like a person solely down to race.

The PC brigade have outlawed thoughts like yours. Apparently it's up to them to decide if you're a racist or not!

southfieldhibby
21-12-2011, 01:20 PM

Which does nothing to answer the question I asked! Have you never seen GOC or Deek defended to the hilt on this forum by he bawbgas in our support when they have broken the law or would you rather forget that?

Sorry, I thought my reply perfectly answered the question.

If you use an example of either GOC/Deek breaking the law and being defended on here I'll pass comment.

O'Connor with the ching wasn't a Hibs player at the time,and was it not established that it wasn't ching anyway?
Palsson pishing in The Dome, generally rounded on for being an erse, but again not arrested
What law has Deek broke?...excluding the general law of not being an erse, but a mighty fine striker of a ba
Tam McManus pishing in the door of a pub after visiting the pubic triangle...

I'm maybe missing the obvious, but you'll have to point it out.

Scouse Hibee
21-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Sorry, I thought my reply perfectly answered the question.

If you use an example of either GOC/Deek breaking the law and being defended on here I'll pass comment.

O'Connor with the ching wasn't a Hibs player at the time,and was it not established that it wasn't ching anyway?
Palsson pishing in The Dome, generally rounded on for being an erse, but again not arrested
What law has Deek broke?...excluding the general law of not being an erse, but a mighty fine striker of a ba
Tam McManus pishing in the door of a pub after visiting the pubic triangle...

I'm maybe missing the obvious, but you'll have to point it out.

Oh dear and you accuse Liverpool supporters!!! Cya.

southfieldhibby
21-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Oh dear and you accuse Liverpool supporters!!! Cya.

I claim only that Liverpool supporters are using facts that aren't actually facts, but lies, to satisfy their own agenda.I've used nothing but facts in the last post too, so I'm not too sure where you are going with this?

Generally speaking though, on forums when people know they have lost an argument, they generally resort to the sort of post you have.

easty
21-12-2011, 02:12 PM
I don't think it's pathetic. Suaraz was central in both incidents therefore the link is there. His world cup cheating is irrelevant to whatever happened at Anfield but my point that it's harder to have sympathy for him remains.

As for him being a hero, absolutely right, that is how the Uruguayan's see him. It's right Ghana could have scored the penalty and gone through, but they didn't and they went out. Had Suaraz not cheated they would have scored a goal and probably gone through anyway.

Your more casual acceptance of cheating is a fairly typical attitude these days, mores the pity. Sometimes your team benefits, sometimes it doesn't. I think we lost out in that respect as recently as Saturday. However my view is that cheating damages our game and could destroy it altogether. So I won't be making any apologies for condemning it when I see it.

Saurez did absolutley the right thing at the World Cup, I wouldn't even call it cheating. He commited an offence, didn't cheat.

I think the most depressing thing surrounding this whole incident, and one that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that it's going to cost me 4 points to take him out of my fantasy premier league team. :greengrin

BoltonHibee
21-12-2011, 02:30 PM
John Terry now been charged by the CPS

Scouse Hibee
21-12-2011, 02:45 PM
I claim only that Liverpool supporters are using facts that aren't actually facts, but lies, to satisfy their own agenda.I've used nothing but facts in the last post too, so I'm not too sure where you are going with this?

Generally speaking though, on forums when people know they have lost an argument, they generally resort to the sort of post you have.

Generally speaking when people are so far up on their high horse that they can only see one point of view I lose interest. You have quoted fact but neglected to add the facts about both GOC and Deek breaking the law which I referred to in an earlier post yet you claim to have no knowledge off. Why don't you use the same internet search you used to look up the other facts!!!

southfieldhibby
21-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Generally speaking when people are so far up on their high horse that they can only see one point of view I lose interest. You have quoted fact but neglected to add the facts about both GOC and Deek breaking the law which I referred to in an earlier post yet you claim to have no knowledge off. Why don't you use the same internet search you used to look up the other facts!!!

Right.

I've already covered GOC and his charlie (which didn't turn out to be charlie) he was arrested but no case brought to court, so no criminal record
Deek, banned from all night clubs under some umbrella group, not the coppers iirc, but also no criminal record

Are these the things you mean?If not, I'm genuinely in the dark about what you mean.

Also, for clarity, having never met either of the above I'm not in a position to judge them, but I'd turn down the chance of a beer with them as they both come across as bams.

Dashing Bob S
21-12-2011, 03:10 PM
I expect Liverpool to appeal and have the ban significantly reduced. As will inevitably happen with Terry. Footballers are above the law and once the media repackage this as a 'personal tragety' to the perpetrators, we will all nod our heads sagely and agree.

Betty Boop
21-12-2011, 03:10 PM
The PC brigade have outlawed thoughts like yours. Apparently it's up to them to decide if you're a racist or not!

I wondered when the PC brigade would pop up on this thread.

Sir David Gray
21-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I wondered when the PC brigade would pop up on this thread.

Go on, admit it, you thought it would be me! :na na:

ancient hibee
21-12-2011, 05:03 PM

Sorry to break into a private quarrel but what law did Riordan break and what criminal conviction has he got?

Sir David Gray
21-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Sorry to break into a private quarrel but what law did Riordan break and what criminal conviction has he got?

He got fined for a breach of the peace a couple of years ago after he was refused entry into a nightclub.

Sir David Gray
21-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Liverpool players (including Kenny Dalglish) are all wearing t shirts with

Suarez

on the back of them, with a picture of Suarez on the front. :faf:

I'm sorry but that is sad!

And all this I'm reading about Dalglish saying that Suarez "will not walk alone" is pretty pathetic too.

Talk about cliches...!

Scouse Hibee
21-12-2011, 07:51 PM

Suarez

And all this I'm reading about Dalglish saying that Suarez "will not walk alone" is pretty pathetic too.

Talk about cliches...!

Apparently the players were also going to wear black armbands but Suarez objected to the colour of them!

Arch Stanton
21-12-2011, 09:10 PM

On the same programme it mentioned how an everton fan had called Saha a lazy french so and so, and was banned from goodison park for 3 years. Suarez can count himself lucky he's not just a fan on the terraces it seems.

I hadn't realised there was a list of racist words - and actually pretty gobsmacked that 'French' is one of them, even if I can understand the rational. :agree:

I wonder where I can find that list as I would like to see if 'Jock' is there - I am looking forward to seeing the next English person who calls me that being marched off to the cells.

HH81
21-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Is Evra not a racist too? Didn't he admit to saying comments too?

Didn't Evra lie about racist comments before?

Betty Boop
21-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Go on, admit it, you thought it would be me! :na na:

:greengrin

NOLA
21-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Apparently the players were also going to wear black armbands but Suarez objected to the colour of them!
:thumbsup:

Harpandcastle
21-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Is Evra not a racist too? Didn't he admit to saying comments too?

Didn't Evra lie about racist comments before?

From what was said on the radio its believed that Evra has said he insulted Suarez in Spanish however his insults were not of a racial nature. Quite how that makes things ok I'm not sure. I like Man Utd & I like Patrice Evra however I think Suarez has been hard done by.

TheMentalHibees
22-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Name them.

Cheers for posting this. I find it hilarious how rather than take a look at their own player, Liverpool decided to go on the offensive and attack Evra and blame him for what's happened. They are coming across very celtic-like here, playing the victim card with the statement and quite frankly cringeworthy shirts worn last night. What seems to be being forgotten here is that it was an independent panel that found Suarez guilty, and I'm pretty sure they'd need more than Evra's word to use as evidence. Taking into account the size of the ban it's unlikely that all they're basing this on is one man's word against another's.
You don't need to be a racist to use racist terminology, he has been found guilty of using racist language not being a racist. The fact that he comes from a multicultural background or has black grandparents has nothing to do with it. Sheer desperation how LFC are trying to use the old "he can't be racist because he knows black people" line.

Andy74
22-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Did everyone hear Alan Hansen talking about 'coloured' players last night? Will he get a ban too? :wink:

JimBHibees
22-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Suarez

Talk about cliches...!

Cringeworthy behaviour from Dalglish.

Andy74
22-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Liked this one:

An FA spokesman said: "We're assuming Suarez's appeal will involve the Uruguayan ambassador and a group of indigenous tribes people playing unusual wind instruments. So that's something to look forward to.

"In the meantime, it would be a lot easier if everyone just stuck to calling Patrice Evra an ********."