PDA

View Full Version : SPL rule changes...

Hibs On Tour
20-12-2011, 01:33 AM
As usual, all good in theory but we all know its paying lip service to the real problem areas [i.e. the OF]
Meanwhile, the SPL has also tightened the rules governing unacceptable conduct, to include: "using words, conduct or displaying any writing or other thing which indicates support for, or affiliation to, or celebration of, or opposition to an organisation proscribed in terms of the Terrorism Act 2000."

The bit I find ridiculous is that you could be done under these rule changes for *opposition* to a terrorist organisation! WTF? :confused:

We all know that they'll not bother [apart from some token early gestures] chasing the OF fans up [as they'd then spend all their time dealing with them] but say Celtic had one of their mis-spelt banners in their end at ER one game and you took offence and shouted '**** yer RA' or somesuch, madness that you could be done for that IMHO [or the other way around if it was Rangers we were playing]

Newry Hibs
20-12-2011, 09:03 AM
I agree with the 'opposition' bit. Surely if an organisation is proscribed it is a 'bad' thing - so why can't people oppose 'bad' things. I just hope no-one starts booing Al Ittihad Al Islamia (AIAI) or they will be in big trouble. Surely this rule won't just be invoked to stop people offending other sides of the OF bigots and their Ireland issues? "IRA? UVF? They may be bad but don't offend me by opposing them".

Cocohibby
20-12-2011, 09:15 AM
So if I shout abuse at other fans who are known to support such a group, I could be accused of inciting hatred? Difficult one, but I can see some logic in it. If you are going to ban people from being visibly or vocally in support of such groups, you have to also ban opposition I suppose:rolleyes:

Hibs On Tour
20-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Just the usual stupid over-officiated Scottish football pish we get served up. Absolutely no need to add that part IMO. Just panders to the OF ideology that if you're against one side you gotta be for the other.

givescotlandfreedom
20-12-2011, 12:18 PM
I loathe bigotry but I really dislike the use of terror legislation to suit the government's whims.

bingo70
20-12-2011, 12:22 PM
There's no need to shout or sing in support of it against any form of terrorist organisation as its a game of football on Scotland so I don't have any issue with the wording of it.

If it allows them to arrest one more knuckle dragging biggot then it can only be a good thing

Sir David Gray
20-12-2011, 12:33 PM
It's ludicrous to suggest that someone could be punished for shouting something that is opposed to a proscribed terrorist organisation. I don't understand that at all and anyone who happens to find themselves on the wrong end of this legislation should fight it all the way.

Only in Scotland, I suppose...:rolleyes:

bingo70
20-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Probably to stop rangers fans or whoever singing or shouting **** the ira or words to that effect.

What legitimate reasons could you have for shouting against a terrorist group at an spl football game, don't understand why this rule bothers people

Sir David Gray
20-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Probably to stop rangers fans or whoever singing or shouting **** the ira or words to that effect.

What legitimate reasons could you have for shouting against a terrorist group at an spl football game, don't understand why this rule bothers people

If people hear opposition fans singing songs in support of the IRA, the UVF, or whoever, for the umpteenth time during a match I can understand how someone might get to the point where they might be so fed up with listening to it that they shout something like you've said in your post.

I personally don't see how you could be punished for being opposed to a group that is deemed illegal in this country.

As I said earlier, it's ludicrous.

Spudster
20-12-2011, 01:10 PM

:agree:

Eyrie
20-12-2011, 08:18 PM
The "no opposition to terrorists" bit will be to stop one half of the Ugly Sisters winding up the other half with chants of "F*** the IRA/UVF".

Allegedly the punishments can escalate to points deductions and supporter bans. Aye, right :rolleyes:

JustSimplyHibs
20-12-2011, 08:31 PM
It's ludicrous to suggest that someone could be punished for shouting something that is opposed to a proscribed terrorist organisation. I don't understand that at all and anyone who happens to find themselves on the wrong end of this legislation should fight it all the way.

Only in Scotland, I suppose...:rolleyes:

Yep and they probably have something in place that any derogatory comments towards other teams on fans forums or social media sites will result in some form of punishment.

Yep i ike how the government are getting themselves involved in football yet will not dip into their pockets and fund youth development, or provide decent facilities for youth football clubs throughout Scotland.

I know SNP wont be getting my vote in the next election :greengrin

SmokieJoe
21-12-2011, 01:31 AM
Just a thought, i have nothing against mage, she has been a decent monarch, but i remember when we had to change our badge from the football with a crouwn on top, and the reasons why, so would this new legislation prevent one half of the of from sining god save the queen? the only reason it gets right up my nose is our national anthem is flower of scotland, so could this bee deemed as inflamitory or racist toward scots? after all some of the lyrics are less than complimentary to us scots.:confused:

Sir David Gray
21-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Just a thought, i have nothing against mage, she has been a decent monarch, but i remember when we had to change our badge from the football with a crouwn on top, and the reasons why, so would this new legislation prevent one half of the of from sining god save the queen? the only reason it gets right up my nose is our national anthem is flower of scotland, so could this bee deemed as inflamitory or racist toward scots? after all some of the lyrics are less than complimentary to us scots.:confused:

Which lyrics are these? :dunno:

Also, Flower of Scotland is not Scotland's national anthem as we do not currently have one.

God Save The Queen is the official national anthem of the United Kingdom and Scotland is part of the United Kingdom so until Scotland ceases to be a part of the union, I highly doubt that anyone will ever be prosecuted for singing their own national anthem.

PatHead
21-12-2011, 03:34 PM
One of the later verses

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade, May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring. May he sedition hush, and like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush, God save the King.

cabbageandribs1875
21-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Which lyrics are these? :dunno:Also, Flower of Scotland is not Scotland's national anthem as we do not currently have one.God Save The Queen is the official national anthem of the United Kingdom and Scotland is part of the United Kingdom so until Scotland ceases to be a part of the union, I highly doubt that anyone will ever be prosecuted for singing their own national anthem.these ones..........The invasion of England also explains the following anti-Scottish words that had also been inserted into the song:Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,May by thy mighty aid,Victory bring.May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,Rebellious Scots to crush,God save the King.

wtf's wrong with my copy and paste :grr:

Sir David Gray
21-12-2011, 03:40 PM
One of the later verses

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade, May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring. May he sedition hush, and like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush, God save the King.

Thought that might get brought up.

That particular verse has never been included in any official version of the song.

It was sung briefly around 1745, when Field Marshal George Wade was put in charge of fighting against the Jacobites, however it didn't last long and by the time GSTQ was adopted as the official anthem of the UK around 1790, there no mention of this verse and there has never been any mention of it since.

cabbageandribs1875
21-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Queen betty was belting it out a few months ago

marinello59
21-12-2011, 03:52 PM
these ones..........The invasion of England also explains the following anti-Scottish words that had also been inserted into the song:Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,May by thy mighty aid,Victory bring.May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,Rebellious Scots to crush,God save the King.

wtf's wrong with my copy and paste :grr:

That verse is only ever heard when trotted out by Scots trying to justify either their racist attitude towards the English or the large chip on their shoulder.

Thought that might get brought up.

That particular verse has never been included in any official version of the song.

It was sung briefly around 1745, when Field Marshal George Wade was put in charge of fighting against the Jacobites, however it didn't last long and by the time GSTQ was adopted as the official anthem of the UK around 1790, there no mention of this verse and there has never been any mention of it since.

Correct. It was written in a pamphlet, the internet forum of the time, and was never part of the official anthem.

cabbageandribs1875
21-12-2011, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=marinello59;3043472]That verse is only ever heard when trotted out by Scots trying to justify either their racist attitude towards the English or the large chip on their shoulder. i have relations that are english and i am certainly not racist to them, and i dont have a chip on my shoulder thanks, now, as you were saying ? :rolleyes:

marinello59
21-12-2011, 04:55 PM
That verse is only ever heard when trotted out by Scots trying to justify either their racist attitude towards the English or the large chip on their shoulder. i have relations that are english and i am certainly not racist to them, and i dont have a chip on my shoulder thanks, now, as you were saying ? :rolleyes:

I didn't suggest you were racist. My point was that the verse should not be taken seriously as it has never been part of the national Anthem. Have you seen those words brought up by anybody but Scots or actually being sung. I haven't, it's just something some Scots seem to dig up to take offence at. (That's the chip on the shoulder bit by the way.)

SmokieJoe
22-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Which lyrics are these? :dunno:

Also, Flower of Scotland is not Scotland's national anthem as we do not currently have one.

God Save The Queen is the official national anthem of the United Kingdom and Scotland is part of the United Kingdom so until Scotland ceases to be a part of the union, I highly doubt that anyone will ever be prosecuted for singing their own national anthem.

This is sung at the national teams games? i cant speak for the egg chasers mind, but i'm fairly sure that the dont sing god save the queen.