View Full Version : poor tactics - billy brown halftime talk

20-12-2011, 12:32 AM
right so were were playing the 4-2-3-1, with two wingers on the weaker sides so they can cut in from the wing to cause the opponents problems. similar to manchester city with either johnsoon or sliva on the right and nasir or mario on the left cutting in from the wide postions.

now i thought that danny galbraith was doing ok at this in the first half of the aberdeen game, then during billy browns wee half time chat with espn, he said he wanted danny to stay out wide on the right. Danny did this but cause fewer problems. This does not make sense to me of you want width on the right put ivan and on the left put danny, were you have a player on there stronger side were they can be more effective.

just something that has been bothering me. but as yogi said football people know whats going on, guess i know nothing.

20-12-2011, 01:32 AM
right so were were playing the 4-2-3-1, with two wingers on the weaker sides so they can cut in from the wing to cause the opponents problems. similar to manchester city with either johnsoon or sliva on the right and nasir or mario on the left cutting in from the wide postions.

now i thought that danny galbraith was doing ok at this in the first half of the aberdeen game, then during billy browns wee half time chat with espn, he said he wanted danny to stay out wide on the right. Danny did this but cause fewer problems. This does not make sense to me of you want width on the right put ivan and on the left put danny, were you have a player on there stronger side were they can be more effective.

just something that has been bothering me. but as yogi said football people know whats going on, guess i know nothing.

proves mixu was a visionary, he used to do it wi o'brien before it was popular:greengrin

MontrealHibs
20-12-2011, 07:23 AM
proves mixu was a visionary, he used to do it wi o'brien before it was popular:greengrin

Remind me what was his stronger side again :greengrin

20-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Remind me what was his stronger side again :greengrin

is that a trick question?:cb

happiehibbie
20-12-2011, 08:02 AM
i donr think i have seen Ivan or danny go past anyone this season. Ivan used to hit the ball past the defender and run like Forest gump i have not seen this and guess what our pitch is wider now than it has ever been.

I wonder if the pitch is to big !!

TowerHibs
20-12-2011, 08:14 AM
I would like to think he meant Galbrieth starting wide, getting the ball then coming inside - creates space and makes the park bigger.

Galbrieths starting position was to far from the touch line, preventing the space for full backs and midfielders to play the ball into strikers feet

Never been a fan of wingers playing on the wrong side

20-12-2011, 08:15 AM
i donr think i have seen Ivan or danny go past anyone this season. Ivan used to hit the ball past the defender and run like Forest gump i have not seen this and guess what our pitch is wider now than it has ever been.

I wonder if the pitch is to big !!

You've not seen much of Hibs then..

smack
20-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I would like to think he meant Galbrieth starting wide, getting the ball then coming inside - creates space and makes the park bigger.

Galbrieths starting position was to far from the touch line, preventing the space for full backs and midfielders to play the ball into strikers feet

Never been a fan of wingers playing on the wrong side

I wish your logic was true, then I could stand at the edge of my house and make my house bigger

20-12-2011, 11:50 AM
I understand why teams do this but it requires the players involved to be of quite a high technical standard. Unfortunately ours aren't of a high enough standard. All it means for us is Galbraith/Sproule cutting inside and running in to trouble or going outside on their weaker foot and putting in a crap cross:agree:

20-12-2011, 12:33 PM
I understand why teams do this but it requires the players involved to be of quite a high technical standard. Unfortunately ours aren't of a high enough standard. All it means for us is Galbraith/Sproule cutting inside and running in to trouble or going outside on their weaker foot and putting in a crap cross:agree:

Correct, play players in their natural positions to get tghe best out of them. It's not rocket science for christ sake.

20-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Just another example of not having enough good strikers in the middle

Crosses are ineffective so we reverse our wingers on the basis that it is better to cut in and shoot

When we are short of firepower adding wingers into the central areas at least increases the amount of shots

20-12-2011, 09:58 PM
One of Danny's biggest faults IMO is that he wanders too much. It's often difficult to determine just exactly where he's meant to be playing

20-12-2011, 10:13 PM
One of Danny's biggest faults IMO is that he wanders too much. It's often difficult to determine just exactly where he's meant to be playing

:agree: had high hopes of him, and used to think his fading out of games and poor final ball were in part down to tactics deployed, still prepared to give him a chance under PF but the clock is now ticking for me and am wondering if he is one in a long line of "wingers" who can't cross? that said if he's got a best position lets gie him a half decent run and find out if he can make it. As one poster implied, I did feel both he and Sproule maybe weren't used to best advantage against Aberdeen.

20-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Galbraith and Sproule are poor players. Wingers are supposed to go past their full backs more than once a game. Perhaps we could sell Michael Hart to another SPL side, and they could maybe get to the byeline a few times?

20-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Galbraith and Sproule are poor players. Wingers are supposed to go past their full backs more than once a game. Perhaps we could sell Michael Hart to another SPL side, and they could maybe get to the byeline a few times?

No doubt he would have a stormer and probably nick a goal against us though. :greengrin