PDA

View Full Version : Budgie Autobiography

Baldy Foghorn
19-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Just reading Budgie's autobiography......

Interesting to note he rated Alex Miller as the most pessimistic manager he ever worked with, and actually come to blows with Miller, after a match with Airdrie. I never knew that had happened.....

Good read and fascinating insight IMO

Jonnyboy
19-12-2011, 07:07 PM

Interesting to note he rated Alex Miller as the most pessimistic manager he ever worked with, and actually come to blows with Miller, after a match with Airdrie. I never knew that had happened.....

Aye, good read and well written :thumbsup:

Miller got off lightly - so did Hately :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
19-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Aye, good read and well written :thumbsup:

Miller got off lightly - so did Hately :greengrin

Great to read he got tore into all Rangers players in the tunnel prior to Semi Final......Wish some of the current squad could get themselves as fired up as Budgie.......

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I read this book in an afternoon. The man has loads and loads of stories and my only criticisms are that it could have been edited a bit better as some of the stories at recalled at breakneck speed. The chapters that cover his early days are actually quite touching, but the way he talks about his post football ativities lack a degree of self critique, which an autobiograpy needs.

Baldy Foghorn
19-12-2011, 07:27 PM
I read this book in an afternoon. The man has loads and loads of stories and my only criticisms are that it could have been edited a bit better as some of the stories at recalled at breakneck speed. The chapters that cover his early days are actually quite touching, but the way he talks about his post football ativities lack a degree of self critique, which an autobiograpy needs.

I agree NH, it is an easy read, and does go through his career quickly.........

KingFranck
19-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I don't read many books tbh but read this in a couple if days what a guy Budgie was/is legend. Loved the piece about sitting on the bar hence the nickname

superfurryhibby
20-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Miller was never one to portray himself as the life and soul, hence the nickname Mogadon!

I have heard that he was never very inspiring towards the players or nor did he fill them with confidence when they played either the O/F or Hearts. His overtly cautious approach to the game may have reflected his own inate conservatism?

Baldy Foghorn
20-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Miller was never one to portray himself as the life and soul, hence the nickname Mogadon!

I have heard that he was never very inspiring towards the players or nor did he fill them with confidence when they played either the O/F or Hearts. His overtly cautious approach to the game may have reflected his own inate conservatism?

I know one player who has told me he hated Miller with a passion, and that he had no man management skills whatsoever, Budgie reinforces what I was told........

ancient hibee
20-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Most of this book belongs in the fiction section(self delusion sub section).

Phil D. Rolls
20-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Great to read he got tore into all Rangers players in the tunnel prior to Semi Final......Wish some of the current squad could get themselves as fired up as Budgie.......

Budgie was at the heart of that team's revival. He brought spirit back to the dressing room. Funny enough though, a lot of the "Holier Than Thou Brigade (c. FR Dec 2011), would probably be apalled at the things he got up to. It shows you that there is more to a fit player than a fit body.

I remeber Blue Peter showed one of his pep talks prior to a derby. I always thought he did a short bit for the cameras, then when they were away he came out with the blood and thunder. It would appear not.

Still, I rate Miller highly as a manager, it's just that he had all the technical bit right, but no soul.

leither17
20-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Just reading Budgie's autobiography......Interesting to note he rated Alex Miller as the most pessimistic manager he ever worked with, and actually come to blows with Miller, after a match with Airdrie. I never knew that had happened.....Good read and fascinating insight IMOWas it a midweek game that he got sent off in by any chance iwas the mascot in that game

Baldy Foghorn
20-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Was it a midweek game that he got sent off in by any chance iwas the mascot in that game

It was a game played in torrential rain, and Budgie was not sent off, he played well.....

leither17
20-12-2011, 08:16 PM
It was a game played in torrential rain, and Budgie was not sent off, he played well.....Ill need to fish out the programme maybe it wasn't airdrie but we got beat 2-0 at easter rd and he got sent off I threw away the 50p coin the ref gave me after the toss cause he sent him off

Baldy Foghorn
20-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Ill need to fish out the programme maybe it wasn't airdrie but we got beat 2-0 at easter rd and he got sent off I threw away the 50p coin the ref gave me after the toss cause he sent him off

He had fight with Miller before game, due to disagreement over waterproof top, and played whole game, when AM tried to tell Budgie well played, Budgie retorted he did it for the lads not for AM

fatbloke
20-12-2011, 10:39 PM
I know one player who has told me he hated Miller with a passion, and that he had no man management skills whatsoever, Budgie reinforces what I was told........

Just one?
Alan Rough definately
Paul Kane mibby

fatbloke
20-12-2011, 10:41 PM

Ye mean he was a closet Yam:greengrin

ballengeich
20-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Did Budgie write his autobiography?

soupy
21-12-2011, 06:07 AM
I know one player who has told me he hated Miller with a passion, and that he had no man management skills whatsoever, Budgie reinforces what I was told........I've heard Roughy on real radio saying similar....

cocopops1875
21-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Did Budgie write his autobiography?

Co written with Colin Leslie (who is one of us) he is a mate of my cousin and she never mentioned he was doing it

brog
21-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Co written with Colin Leslie (who is one of us) he is a mate of my cousin and she never mentioned he was doing it

Ex editor of Mass Hibsteria I believe!! Good guy Colin & Budgie's book is a good read. I met him ( Budgie )many moons ago when he was at Workington & he was a bampot even then!!
PS, there was a thread on this a few months back when book came out if anyone's interested.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Just one?
Alan Rough definately
Paul Kane mibby

I'm thinking more of Mickey Weir personaly as he told us a few tales one night in Shades bar :wink:

heretoday
21-12-2011, 11:35 AM

So do most autobiographies! :agree:

Pretty Boy
22-12-2011, 08:41 AM

I only bought the book yesterday and jumped straight to the bit on Hibs.

I found his recollection of a save he made in the Skol Cup semi about Ranges total fiction. Everyone knows the save I mean from McCoist on the rebound. However he claimed to touch the initial shot onto the post, well I was at the game and have seen that game or highlights at least 100 times since and he never got near the initial shot, not taking anything away from the save he did make which was fantastic.

If the rest of the book is on that vein it would seem there may be a bit of fiction involved