PDA

View Full Version : Standing: Yes or No

Hermit Crab
19-12-2011, 04:37 PM

HH81
19-12-2011, 04:55 PM
What is this whole issue with standing?

It still happens in the football league and most non league grounds in England. Just get it back its safe anyway these days.

Saorsa
19-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Yes! :thumbsup:

Robinho08
19-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Yes.

Beefster
19-12-2011, 05:04 PM
I misread the question as "do you want to return to standing" so voted 'No'. I'm not fussed whether it returns or not so should have voted 'Not Bothered'.

Saorsa
19-12-2011, 05:14 PM
What is this whole issue with standing?

It still happens in the football league and most non league grounds in England. Just get it back its safe anyway these days.Well it's the law at top flight English clubs. It's never been law in Scotland as far as I'm aware, rather it was imposed and enforced by the geniuses that run the game in this country.

snooky
19-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Auld yins like me who can remember when everybody stood (apart from those in the stand ironically enough) will recall the great atmosphere created when you were shoulder to shoulder. IMO enforced seating, while safer, is one of the many factors that is spoiling the game.
No reason why both sitters and standers could (and should) be catered for.

Saorsa
19-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Auld yins like me who can remember when everybody stood (apart from those in the stand ironically enough) will recall the great atmosphere created when you were shoulder to shoulder. IMO enforced seating, while safer, is one of the many factors that is spoiling the game.
No reason why both sitters and standers could (and should) be catered for.Exactly, not sure why anybody has voted no TBH when nobody will be forced tae be in one of these areas if they dinnae want tae. What's their problem with other people having the right tae stand in designated areas and watch the game the way they want tae?

marinello59
19-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Has to be a yes, I haven't seen any good reason why we shouldn't see safe standing areas at grounds.

Cabbage East
19-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Why would anyone vote no? Would be interested to hear why.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Said yes in principle but I can't see how we could work it to our advantage at ER, now that it is all redeveloped.

Nando™
19-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Yes! :thumbsup:

You? Stand? .... Aye? :wink:

Billie Jo
19-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Aye :thumbsup:

Saorsa
19-12-2011, 06:42 PM
You? Stand? .... Aye? :wink:When I can stand son, I'll be standing :wink:

lucky
19-12-2011, 06:48 PM
96 reasons why I vote no. Hillsbrough. For me to big a risk. Hibs amongst many clubs have spent big on a modern seated stadium so why should others not follow suit.

Keith_M
19-12-2011, 07:03 PM
96 reasons why I vote no. Hillsbrough...

Sorry, but that's just garbage. It's an ill thought out emotional response.

People always mention this as a reason why terracing isn't safe but there were multiple reasons why that happened. How many tens of thousands of football games have there been with absolutely no incident at all?

No one is suggesting that we go back to overcrowded terraces, penned in fans, with insufficient entrances/exits. The point was to introduce 'safe' terracing, well thought out, with proper facilities.

Saorsa
19-12-2011, 07:03 PM
96 reasons why I vote no. Hillsbrough. For me to big a risk. Hibs amongst many clubs have spent big on a modern seated stadium so why should others not follow suit.Aye things like that are happening all the time on the continent in their safe standing areas :rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
19-12-2011, 07:06 PM
96 reasons why I vote no. Hillsbrough. For me to big a risk. Hibs amongst many clubs have spent big on a modern seated stadium so why should others not follow suit.

Sorry lucky but what happened at Hillsbrough was tragic but not caused by standing on a terracing. Anyway, we are talking about safe standing areas here and for my money that would be no bad thing

Saorsa
19-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Sorry, but that's just garbage. It's an ill thought out emotional response.

People always mention this as a reason why terracing isn't safe but there were multiple reasons why that happened. How many tens of thousands of football games have there been with absolutely no incident at all?

No one is suggesting that we go back to overcrowded terraces, penned in fans, with insufficient entrances/exits. The point was to introduce 'safe' terracing, well thought out, with proper facilities.:top marks

Sorry lucky but what happened at Hillsbrough was tragic but not caused by standing on a terracing. Anyway, we are talking about safe standing areas here and for my money that would be no bad thing:agree:

Sir David Gray
19-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Not bothered in the slightest as it's not something I'm likely to be taking advantage of any time soon, barring the occurrence of a miracle. :greengrin

I personally don't think it will make that much of a difference to the attendances at games but if people who do go at the moment wish to stand up for 90 minutes then I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to do so.

NAE NOOKIE
19-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Funny this ...... On my recent post about relocating the 12th man / singing section I posted that I never thought standing would come back .... go figure !

This is a great opportunity to make the bottom deck of the FF into a standing area and shift that group there. For the sake of equalibrium make the bottom deck of the south standing as well and Bobs yer uncle.

The ground would still have over 16,000 seats, so no problem for us auld yins who still like to sit down.

Lucky posted that there were 96 reasons for no standing areas. But what happened at Hillsborough was the result of a number of factors on the day which have been well documented and which should have been, and are, totally avoidable.

I think ( unbelievably ) that the SPL have recognised that the lack of standing areas at stadiums has to a certain extent taken away from the atmosphere on match days and though this is a small move in the general fight against the malaise which is gripping Scottish football just now, it is IMHO a good one.

Interesting that the Weegie police seemed a bit cool on the idea, perhaps because the announcement was made without their involvement. But lets not get mixed up here with who is serving whom in this country. The Police are here to keep order, not to make decisions on how businesses run their oporations, just because it suits them to do so.

So for me .... Yes, bring it on and the sooner the better,

Jonnyboy
19-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Funny this ...... On my recent post about relocating the 12th man / singing section I posted that I never thought standing would come back .... go figure !

This is a great opportunity to make the bottom deck of the FF into a standing area and shift that group there. For the sake of equalibrium make the bottom deck of the south standing as well and Bobs yer uncle.

The ground would still have over 16,000 seats, so no problem for us auld yins who still like to sit down.

Lucky posted that there were 96 reasons for no standing areas. But what happened at Hillsborough was the result of a number of factors on the day which have been well documented and which should have been, and are, totally avoidable.

I think ( unbelievably ) that the SPL have recognised that the lack of standing areas at stadiums has to a certain extent taken away from the atmosphere on match days and though this is a small move in the general fight against the malaise which is gripping Scottish football just now, it is IMHO a good one.

Interesting that the Weegie police seemed a bit cool on the idea, perhaps because the announcement was made without their involvement. But lets not get mixed up here with who is serving whom in this country. The Police are here to keep order, not to make decisions on how businesses run their oporations, just because it suits them to do so.

So for me .... Yes, bring it on and the sooner the better,

:agree:

Emerald
19-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I think it would be a good idea to have a standing section, it would give folk choice and would bring back atmosphere. However, the best place for this would be the lower section of either the West of FF. The East (built as a single tier by 'popular demand') will become a bigger white elephant than it is right now. Its only one season old, cost a mint and now here we are talking about re-introducing standing. If there had been any chance that standing may have been introduced, surely it should have been investigated BEFORE we built the one tier East stand. You couldn't make it up! :confused:

Sumner
19-12-2011, 09:32 PM
stand

PaulSmith
19-12-2011, 09:52 PM
'bring back atmosphere' im taking a wager this is the under 25's that keep posting this?

As someone who can remember the terraces, yes it was good when there were big games but just as crap when we were crap and playing Clydebank and Partick. No different than today.

PaulSmith
19-12-2011, 09:54 PM
By the way not against it and hope it does happen but much bigger priorities at ER

robinp
19-12-2011, 10:06 PM
I've seen plenty responses online tonight sighting Hillsborough in most negative responses.

This will not be terracing of old, take a look at the modern german safe standing, each row of terracing have bars so that you cannot crush forwards, in some grounds you get a ticket with a number, only difference to traditional seated stand is there is no seat just a bar to lean on, numbers are limited, its not a free for all.

If anything, if safe standing was introduced based on the german model, it will be safer than standing in seated stadia now, as there is unlikely to be a risk of falling forward when standing.

iwasthere1972
19-12-2011, 10:16 PM

That would work well for the visit of the Old Firm and Hearts who occupy the entire South Stand and someone who wants a seat would have to ensure that they book one on the upper level. It would present a problem for the other team supporters who only get the lower level as I'm sure that some would prefer a seat. Definitely turn the lower FF into standing only and move the singing section to that part of the stadium. They would be closer to the west stand and you never know they may even join in. :greengrin

I would even bring back:smokin

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 10:17 PM
I've seen plenty responses online tonight sighting Hillsborough in most negative responses.

This will not be terracing of old, take a look at the modern german safe standing, each row of terracing have bars so that you cannot crush forwards, in some grounds you get a ticket with a number, only difference to traditional seated stand is there is no seat just a bar to lean on, numbers are limited, its not a free for all.

If anything, if safe standing was introduced based on the german model, it will be safer than standing in seated stadia now, as there is unlikely to be a risk of falling forward when standing.

You have summed up perfectly why it's a pointless expensive exercise!

Sunny1875
19-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Yes , bring back liftovers at the turnstile too. As a youngster that's how I was introduced to the game as probably lsomethings supporting Hibs today were. still got a pie,bovril & program so club made money from my purchases every 2nd Saturday.standing 3pm k.o.

HH81
19-12-2011, 11:33 PM
You? Stand? .... Aye? :wink:

He is usually sat (in the pub) by half time anyway :greengrin

Andy74
20-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Won't happen at most clubs. Too pricey especially for teams who have already completed grounds.

Maybe the OF if they can justify it.

It's not the same as the old terrace so wouldn't bother me either way.

Joe Baker II
20-12-2011, 08:42 AM

Does not meaning anything:

a) this is the same Strathclyde Police who said they would insisted they would never allow internationals to be played on Friday evenings a year ago before changing their minds.

b) they only said they had not been fully consulted not that they were opposed (not that it matters if they are or not as no legal issues).

Another unmentioned so far benefit is that there will be more self-policing of genuinely offensive chanting (which will be much more effective than the SNP's ridiculous legislation) now it is realised authorities are going to treat supporters like adults.

hughio
20-12-2011, 09:03 AM
yes of course.

Some of us asked for such a facility to be incorporated into the new stand.

Now the excuse for not doing it will be expense,:fuming::fuming::fuming::fuming::fuming:

Allant1981
20-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Really dont see how the atmosphere will be any better just because you are standing, the football in scotland is utter garbage and there is usually nothing to sing and dance about anyway, not just at easter road but most grounds in the SPL

Keith_M
20-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I've just read some details on what they ACTUALLY plan on allowing and I think I've changed my mind.

It seems that, instead of anything resembling old style terracing, they plan on only allowing dedicated lockable seats, with a designated space per fan. This is basically just "standing in front of your seat", only much more expensive for the club to implement. Seems like a waste of time to me. :rolleyes:

“The problem is people expect a return to old terracing and the way those of a certain age watched football when they were growing up,” said Thompson. “It isn’t going to be like that.

“This is a different way of standing. These seats can be locked up and locked down again. It’s still one space per person.”
LINK (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/stephen_thompson_warns_modern_terracing_areas_may_ prove_too_expensive_for_most_clubs_1_2016657)

Joe Baker II
20-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I've just read some details on what they ACTUALLY plan on allowing and I think I've changed my mind.

It seems that, instead of anything resembling old style terracing, they plan on only allowing dedicated lockable seats, with a designated space per fan. This is basically just "standing in front of your seat", only much more expensive for the club to implement. Seems like a waste of time to me. :rolleyes:

“The problem is people expect a return to old terracing and the way those of a certain age watched football when they were growing up,” said Thompson. “It isn’t going to be like that.

“This is a different way of standing. These seats can be locked up and locked down again. It’s still one space per person.”
LINK (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/stephen_thompson_warns_modern_terracing_areas_may_ prove_too_expensive_for_most_clubs_1_2016657)

Important point is people will know they can stand without being hassled by stewards as happens at many grounds, and much more ability to move about in the designated standing areas - not sure how this is a waste of time and is excactly what seems to work well in Germany.

Keith_M
20-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Important point is people will know they can stand without being hassled by stewards as happens at many grounds, and much more ability to move about in the designated standing areas - not sure how this is a waste of time and is excactly what seems to work well in Germany.

Yes but it's not the only way to do this. Most stadia in germany have proper terraces, with crush barriers about every 5th step. I'd much rather have that than a designated seating area, though I do understand what you mean about not getting hassled by stewards.

The unfortunate thing is that it looks like there actually won't be the opportunity to move about (if the article is correct) as you'll still have a numbered area to stand in, just like with a seat.

Now THIS (http://www.stadionwelt.de/sw_stadien/index.php?folder=sites&site=stadionfotos_detail&id=175&ordner=nord&page=1) is what I call a terracing :thumbsup:

Joe Baker II
20-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Yes but it's not the only way to do this. Most stadia in germany have proper terraces, with crush barriers about every 5th step. I'd much rather have that than a designated seating area, though I do understand what you mean about not getting hassled by stewards.

The unfortunate thing is that it looks like there actually won't be the opportunity to move about (if the article is correct) as you'll still have a numbered area to stand in, just like with a seat.

Now THIS (http://www.stadionwelt.de/sw_stadien/index.php?folder=sites&site=stadionfotos_detail&id=175&ordner=nord&page=1) is what I call a terracing :thumbsup:

I thought there would be designated spaces so seats can be folded back for European games/internationals but otherwise one was fairly free to move about - might be issue if standing area full but you had that on the old terracing anyway. Still think it is generally good news - only caveat is that for Hibs it may need people saying they will not renew season tickets unless club act on this to generate action.

hibeeleicester
20-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Don't know why anyone would say no.