PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fenlon Hibs Manager

MrSmith
19-12-2011, 02:36 PM
As the title says,

liking what I'm seeing form him: commitment, passion, enthusiasm and awareness. Hopefully he'll be able to get some new faces in in January and then we will see the best of him and the team!

Really, really got a good feeling about him. :aok:

Big Frank
19-12-2011, 02:42 PM
As the title says,

liking what I'm seeing form him: commitment, passion, enthusiasm and awareness. Hopefully he'll be able to get some new faces in in January and then we will see the best of him and the team!

Tell you what Mr S, I do too. :agree:

Walter
19-12-2011, 03:17 PM
I have a good feeling too. I think it will take a few weeks, but there will be a turn around in the McLeish fashion. I'm sorry for swearing.

:pfgwa:hibees:aok:

joe breezy
19-12-2011, 03:20 PM
He speaks the truth, but with purpose and addressing what we need to do.

Calderwood spoke the truth sometimes too e.g. "that wasn't good enough" but Calderwood gave no impression that he knew what to do about it...

thebausburst
19-12-2011, 03:32 PM
No doubt get shot down with the doom and gloomier, support the team etc.. but have to say don't see any improvement on the pitch. I mean its basically the same shape/tactics that the last galoot employed. The last time I can remember a serious reaction to a new manager from the players was when McLeish came in, the improvement in work rate in particular was unbelievable no wonder Fenlon himself mentioned his aspirations to have a similar playing side. Don't get me wrong I want him to succeed as much as everyone else, just not getting all excited based on lets face it not very much so far:tin hat

hibiedude
19-12-2011, 03:36 PM
As the title says,

Like every manager up and down the country he'll be judged on results come the end of the season.

Beefster
19-12-2011, 06:32 PM
No doubt get shot down with the doom and gloomier, support the team etc.. but have to say don't see any improvement on the pitch. I mean its basically the same shape/tactics that the last galoot employed. The last time I can remember a serious reaction to a new manager from the players was when McLeish came in, the improvement in work rate in particular was unbelievable no wonder Fenlon himself mentioned his aspirations to have a similar playing side. Don't get me wrong I want him to succeed as much as everyone else, just not getting all excited based on lets face it not very much so far:tin hat

I'm with you. Being able to talk means nothing, I'll get excited when Fenlon improves the performances.

ancient hibee
19-12-2011, 06:39 PM

Don't think so -he's changed the shape of the midfield totally and made us much more difficult to score against.When did Stack last have to make a save from open play?

Franck Stanton
19-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Really am warming to him. On his appointment I thought " Pat Who " and was dissappointed MON didn't get the gig, however.........Fenlon has, to date , come across as being very knowledgable, speaks sence, and tells it like it is., quite a refressing change. As for the changes on the pitch, lets give the guy a chance lads, he has only been in charge for two and a half games, during which we were unlucky to conceed dodgy disputed penalties which have cost us really dearly. Prior to Fenlons arrival we were the leagues whipping-boys, EVERYONE couldn't wait to play us. Now I know we haven't suddenly become world beaters, far from it, but there is a marked improvement in tactics, attitudes, positions and general all-round feel good factor. Remember, this has all been achieved in a very short space of time and, [more importantly,] with the same squad of numpties CC had assembled.

I for one am excited about the forthcoming transfer window, [which cant come quick enough], and no, I'm not expecting whole-sale changes. Apart from the fact we cant afford it, I genuinely dont beliave we need it. Bring in a min of 4 experienced players, [we all know the positions we desperately need to strengthen] and whilst we wont set the heather alight, I am confident we will climb the table and end up mid-table. This would most certainly be a degree of success this year and would then let Fenlon begin building a team we can be proud of for next year.

lucky
19-12-2011, 07:05 PM

It worries me that hibs fans can't see the improvement or the change of shape Iin the team. For me both are oblivious. But some fans can. Come on messageboatds yet no nothing about football. Not having a dig but ffs even David blunket could see both

Spike Mandela
19-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Can I reserve judgement till we get a few wins or indeed one win. I like the cut of his Jib but we need results pronto.

joe breezy
19-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I think the team is playing better actually, albeit they're still poor. For me it shows their limits, which isn't great but I do think they're playing better, trying harder than they were.

matty_f
19-12-2011, 07:31 PM
It worries me that hibs fans can't see the improvement or the change of shape Iin the team. For me both are oblivious. But some fans can. Come on messageboatds yet no nothing about football. Not having a dig but ffs even David blunket could see both

Spot on.

I think Fenlon's been a tad unlucky in that the one game where we went ahead, it was abandoned, and he's had a horrendous decision go against us on Saturday that cost us a point.

Neither Rangers or Aberdeen troubled us - who would have thought that would have been the case under Calderwood?

It's too early to say one way or another on whether Fenlon will be a success, but I agree with you - surely folk can see past the last two results and see the difference in the team!?

PeterboroHibee
19-12-2011, 07:35 PM

Think we have improved under him. 1-0 up against Motherwell at HT after playing well, matched Rangers the whole game and could have won it if a) we had taken our chances and b) Hart wasnt playing. Against Aberdeen, was a pretty dire game that was lost on an awful decision of a penalty (theyve done well to pick up 6 points over the last 2 games but are just as bad as us).

Still very early to tell however, but pleased that things do seem to be picking up.

Albion Hibs
19-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Dont agree with this chat that we look much better, or harder to beat, especially as we have been beaten on both games he has been in charge for. I also did not like his "everyone must be willing to kill themselves" chat.

I do however, hope and pray that he succeeds, gets a settled team and has a few quid to invest in a couple of players come the january window.

Bostonhibby
19-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Dont agree with this chat that we look much better, or harder to beat, especially as we have been beaten on both games he has been in charge for. I also did not like his "everyone must be willing to kill themselves" chat.

I do however, hope and pray that he succeeds, gets a settled team and has a few quid to invest in a couple of players come the january window.

Agree with this part especially, but I have definitely seen improvements, not enough if we don't get points from it though, so at the moment I will just say we are less easy to beat than before.

I suspect Fenlon will ultimately do better than his recent predecessors on the man management side but looking back through Calderwood's spell especially I think my goldfish would have done better.

PaulSmith
19-12-2011, 08:14 PM
I certainly have more confidence in Fenlon that Calderwood.

GlesgaeHibby
19-12-2011, 08:22 PM
I have confidence in Fenlon, but very little in the vast majority of that playing squad. Fenlon and Billy Brown know that the squad on the whole is garbage, and know they need to address this asap. He has them more organised and they are getting worked harder, but until we get rid of the dross like O'Hanlon, Hart, Sodje, Scott etc we aren't going to go very far.

Eyrie
19-12-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm definitely in :pfgwa

The performances have already shown progress, so there is more to Fenlon than good soundbites. He has a proven track record which should also give us confidence.

As regards the Ginger Judas comparison, we were relegated because he couldn't turn us round quickly enough. I have faith that Fenlon has the time as well as the ability to prevent that happening this season.

thebausburst
19-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Don't think so -he's changed the shape of the midfield totally and made us much more difficult to score against.When did Stack last have to make a save from open play?

Sorry, just don't see it myself. Calderwood was playing Gary as a lone striker with Sproule and Galbraith wide, rest of team virtually unchanged aside from Hart at RB. The only difference is more closing down of the opposition when they have possession in our half. We're still creating her-haw and are possibly even more boring to watch.

nortonhibby
19-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Spot on.

I think Fenlon's been a tad unlucky in that the one game where we went ahead, it was abandoned, and he's had a horrendous decision go against us on Saturday that cost us a point.

Neither Rangers or Aberdeen troubled us - who would have thought that would have been the case under Calderwood?

It's too early to say one way or another on whether Fenlon will be a success, but I agree with you - surely folk can see past the last two results and see the difference in the team!?

good post however i will be a tad concerned if we lose for his third game in charge with no goals scored to be fair he has had bad luck with the fixtures since he took command.

The Harp Awakes
19-12-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm pretty confident Paddy will turn around Hibs' fortunes but he may need to get a few of his own players in first.

The current squad have become accustomed to losing under successive Managers and its a difficult habit to get out of. Calderwood's tenure was a disaster for Hibs. The way he conducted himself portrayed that he didn't care about whether Hibs won or lost and that must have got through to the players.

It's not just about low confidence though, as on the whole the Hibs squad is devoid of quality. Riordan and Liam Miller were poor last season and got pelters from a lot of supporters, but the truth is that when they left, we had nobody left with any class.

MrSmith
19-12-2011, 09:40 PM
In the short time he has been with us I definitely see an improvement. Unlike CC, he wants to be with us and I'm sure he will change our fortunes around for the better.

Northernhibee
19-12-2011, 10:13 PM
I think that given 2-3 seasons, he'll be one of our most successful managers.

joe breezy
19-12-2011, 10:18 PM
I think in 2 or 3 seasons he'll be celtic's manager

Eyrie
19-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Then we'd better hope Lennon gets emptied at the end of this season.

But if Fenlon does well enough then he can aim higher than the SPL and get a decent gig in England like Mowbray did. I still think Mowbray made a huge mistake leaving West Brom to come back north.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 11:04 PM

:agree: It certainly explains some of the posts on this board and they called Calderwood........Clueless!

Geo_1875
19-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Definite improvement in performances. I think we'll be in a far better position when we've had a few games at home (referees permitting).

Bishop Hibee
19-12-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm definitely more enthusiastic about Fenlon than the previous 2 incumbents. Everything he's said post-matches is bang on the money.

He can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear though. His biggest test will be to add enough quality to the squad in the transfer window to pull clear of relegation.

RIP
19-12-2011, 11:44 PM
I think we should stick with the team we have and see if proper coaching and tactics can do what constant squad overhaul and a constant flow of new players and managers has spectacularly failed to do

brydekirk
20-12-2011, 05:37 AM
I also see signs of improvement but will be intrested to see the type of player he brings in. Will he choose his own or will he look to BB for help.

Dinkydoo
20-12-2011, 06:59 AM
I'm definitely more confident about him being able to turn it all around than I was with CC when he was in charge.

I don't think there has been a massive improvement but I also don't think we are in a position to be judging PF yet, not until he brings in a few players of his own.

Beefster
20-12-2011, 07:07 AM

My point was more about folk having supreme confidence in Fenlon because interviews are 'great' and 'he wants to be here' (as if Calderwood wanted out a fortnight into the job). I'll judge him on results rather than how articulate he is or how pleased he is to get a job in a higher profile league, with higher attendances and probably a big pay rise.

But yes, he's changed the team's shape. We look less likely to concede but look even unlikelier to score IMHO.

Speedway
20-12-2011, 09:05 AM
I remember similar pro-CC comments early in his tenure, more organised, great signings etc.

I'll get excited about any manager who wins more than they lose and unexcited about any manager who loses more than they win. 2.5 games in, you can see where I am on Fenlon.

nortonhibby
20-12-2011, 04:14 PM
My point was more about folk having supreme confidence in Fenlon because interviews are 'great' and 'he wants to be here' (as if Calderwood wanted out a fortnight into the job). I'll judge him on results rather than how articulate he is or how pleased he is to get a job in a higher profile league, with higher attendances and probably a big pay rise.

But yes, he's changed the team's shape. We look less likely to concede but look even unlikelier to score IMHO.

The first thing he will have been organising is defence if we dont concede we wont loose games.

silverhibee
20-12-2011, 04:47 PM
The first thing he will have been organising is defence if we dont concede we wont loose games.

We may not win many either, and there is always the chance that we may concede late in the game and go chasing for an eqaliser and not score but the the other team may score against us on the counter attack and game over for us, PF may make us better organised and work harder, but can he make this bunch play better.

I am still seeing wayward passing poor throw-ins:rolleyes: poor defending for set piece's, and our own attacking set piece's, where do you start with that one, players need to put in a wee bit more extra time after training and work on there crossing delivery in to the box, and learn how to take bloody throw-ins.

I see PF is trying to bring in a striker, thats a good start, now a right back a new goalkeeper, or give Brown a chance in goals, and please a creative midfielder would be even better.

stokesmessiah
20-12-2011, 04:50 PM
We may not win many either, and there is always the chance that we may concede late in the game and go chasing for an eqaliser and not score but the the other team may score against us on the counter attack and game over for us, PF may make us better organised and work harder, but can he make this bunch play better.

I am still seeing wayward passing poor throw-ins:rolleyes: poor defending for set piece's, and our own attacking set piece's, where do you start with that one, players need to put in a wee bit more extra time after training and work on there crossing delivery in to the box, and learn how to take bloody throw-ins.

I see PF is trying to bring in a striker, thats a good start, now a right back a new goalkeeper, or give Brown a chance in goals, and please a creative midfielder would be even better.

And a centre half is almost certainly required.

blackpoolhibs
20-12-2011, 06:03 PM
:agree: It certainly explains some of the posts on this board and they called Calderwood........Clueless!

I love the way we are losing better. :top marks

Monkey Harris
20-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Got rid of Agogo, got us passing the ball and pressing players. Only a couple of dodgey pens have ruined his start at the club.