PDA

View Full Version : Safe Standing Areas - Pilot

jonty
19-12-2011, 11:06 AM
The SPL board meeting has given a green light to pilot safe standing areas in Scottish stadiums.

Good - because we can't fill them as it is - bring back the terracing! :thumbsup:

Mikey
19-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Nice one. Get the seats out of the lower west :aok:

jonty
19-12-2011, 11:12 AM
link
http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s2&newsid=10907

SteveHFC
19-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Excellent news

Hibercelona
19-12-2011, 11:15 AM
What a right waste of money getting them seats! :cool2:

Wouldn't have the standing section in the west though..... they'd all moan about having to stand! :greengrin

jacomo
19-12-2011, 11:17 AM
First positive news from the SPL in an age. Hibs should be at the forefront of this.

Billy Whizz
19-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Where do you think we will trial it? An unused area in the lower Famous 5?

Keith_M
19-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Have any clubs announced an interest in doing a pilot scheme?

There are a few stadiums that would be perfect for this, e.g. the East Stand at Fir Park and the Shed at Tannadice. Gonna be difficult at ER, though, as there's no more converted terracing left so it could be harder to convert any area.

I personally would like to see the FF Lower converted to terracing. It wouldn't be too difficult to move the current residents some where else as there's never more than a couple of hundred in there anyway.

PaulSmith
19-12-2011, 11:24 AM
A little bit pee'd off at this and more so with Hibs who were insistant that there was absolutely no chance of the East being allowed to have a standing area in it.

It would seem that as soon as Celtic raised the subject that the fellow members of the SPL agreed, begs the question did we actually ask or did we just believe that it wasn't allowed.

The potential cost saving to Hibs here could have been immense and not to mention actually being at the forefront of bringing back standing areas.

As it stands it would be folly to spend more money to remove the seats that have been installed when the product on the pitch requires every single penny.

Saorsa
19-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Nice one. Get the seats out of the lower west :aok:Would it be as simple as just removing seats? Are all the seats not needed for us tae be a UEFA compliant stadium (for all those European games we play)? Will it no have tae be a case of changing they type of seats tae those that fold back and installing crush barriers? Nice tae see them listening tae the fans for a change though.

http://love4lfc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Terraces3.jpg

Peevemor
19-12-2011, 11:31 AM
It's a stitch-up to facilitate the yams' move to Saughton Enclosure. :agree:

Saorsa
19-12-2011, 11:33 AM
It's a stitch-up to facilitate the yams move to Saughton Enclosure. :agree::greengrin

Hibercelona
19-12-2011, 11:38 AM
It's a stitch-up to facilitate the yams' move to Saughton Enclosure. :agree:

:agree:

It's a farce I tell you.

They'll do anything to keep Hearts in the SPL, even when they do end up selling their seats to the scrap

Cabbage East
19-12-2011, 11:41 AM
This is great news. Now lets see the Hibs get in among this first.

Lucius Apuleius
19-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Brilliant news. Gets these noisy ******* out of the East so we can sit and enjoy the game. :wink:

Hermit Crab
19-12-2011, 11:48 AM
You could remove the seats in the upper half of the east stand giving fans the option to sit or stand. Guaranteed Hibs will NOT be in favour of any standing areas as they don't really care about the fans IMO. I also believe this has come about due to the OF fans standing at all games especially away games. It wasn't too long ago that stewards at Aberdeen were chucking out well fans for standing,bet they didn't try to throw any of the OFfans out though.

DC_Hibs
19-12-2011, 11:54 AM
I suggest Sect43/12th man/Singing Section/CCS etc get in touch with the club ASAP firstly to determine that our stadium has section/s which can be converted to standing. I'm not sure if the gradient for example has to be within certain parameters.

Yes, this is a long shot and the club may have no interest but first things first you buffoons OK.

Fondest

Kojock
19-12-2011, 11:57 AM
You could remove the seats in the upper half of the east stand giving fans the option to sit or stand. Guaranteed Hibs will NOT be in favour of any standing areas as they don't really care about the fans IMO. I also believe this has come about due to the OF fans standing at all games especially away games. It wasn't too long ago that stewards at Aberdeen were chucking out well fans for standing,bet they didn't try to throw any of the OFfans out though.

Up at Pitoddrie on Saturday the stewards kept the rear six rows for anybody wishing to stand.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Oh Great! Now all they need to do is get that lace back in the ball, move back to shirts with no names and numbers 1-11 only. And while they're at lets see if they can change todays society so it will be acceptable to stand at football matches in a good spirits instead of being surrounded by erseholes. Back to the future indeed!!!!

Hibbyradge
19-12-2011, 11:59 AM
What a right waste of money getting them seats! :cool2:

Wouldn't have the standing section in the west though..... they'd all moan about having to stand! :greengrin

Too right.

What an ingenious way to attract people (back) to football. Remove all the comfortable aspects. :wink:

Hermit Crab
19-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Up at Pitoddrie on Saturday the stewards kept the rear six rows for anybody wishing to stand.

I was in the back row standing at Aberdeen but I never heard them say stand up if you want. I think they even tried to get the Santas and elves that were standing to sit down but gave up. I fully expected to be told to sit down TBO.

Hermit Crab
19-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Oh Great! Now all they need to do is get that lace back in the ball, move back to shirts with no names and numbers 1-11 only. And while they're at lets see if they can change todays society so it will be acceptable to stand at football matches in a good spirits instead of being surrounded by erseholes. Back to the future indeed!!!!

Nobodys saying that the whole ground would be converted into terracing, only a small section. If you don't want to stand then don't go to a standing section then. Simples.

Kojock
19-12-2011, 12:07 PM
The stewards definately told us that if we wanted to stand we were to use the last six rows, everywhere else the fans had to sit. I stood the whole game as did everyone around me with no hassle at all from the stewards.

Hibbyradge
19-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Guaranteed Hibs will NOT be in favour of any standing areas as they don't really care about the fans IMO.

Is it guaranteed or is it just your opinion?

I think Hibs will try anything reasonable to attract more fans and fair enough, if it's safe and it's what the paying customer wants.

I don't think removing seats will attract anyone though.

Do you think many people stay away because they have to sit down? I don't know one.

Nah, the same folk who go every week, will still go every week, except they'll be slightly more tired after 2 hours than they used to be.

I remember standing on the terracing in crowds of less than 4000. Most of the time, I wished I could have afforded the main stand for a sit down! :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Nobodys saying that the whole ground would be converted into terracing, only a small section. If you don't want to stand then don't go to a standing section then. Simples.

Err I never said they did!!! However if it's alright with you I'll give my opinion on standing......Simples.

son of haggart
19-12-2011, 12:12 PM

I think Hibs will try anything reasonable to attract more fans and fair enough, if it's safe and it's what the paying customer wants.

Do you think many people stay away because they have to sit down? I don't know one.

Nah, the same folk who go every week, will still go every week, except they'll be slightly more tired after 2 hours than they used to be.

I remember standing on the terracing in crowds of less than 4000. Most of the time, I wished I could have afforded the main stand for a sit down! :greengrin

That's what the stanchions were there for Dave - to lean and take the weight off your legs. They served a dual purpose in that they were useful for keeping you upright after too many in t' pub beforehand.

Hermit Crab
19-12-2011, 12:15 PM

I do know one person who stopped going when standing was outlawed but he's a Dundee united fan. Hibs don't really care about the fans IMO(ask Baldy Foghorn about this too). We don't have any loyalty scheme like other clubs do. You know like a points system for going to away games. Extra points for an away game that's live on tv. Maybe a percentage off your next season book if you accumulate enough points for going to games?

Hermit Crab
19-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Err I never said they did!!! However if it's alright with you I'll give my opinion on standing......Simples.

Im sure you gave it on another standing thread not long ago.

Hainan Hibs
19-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Fantastic to hear this:agree:.

Was standing at Pittodrie at the weekend. Was in the middle of the row so didn't really see if the Police and stewards did anything. From what I did see they had a look, weighed up their chances of getting everyone to sit down, and then spread the message to forget about it and let us be:greengrin

Hibbyradge
19-12-2011, 12:21 PM
That's what the stanchions were there for Dave - to lean and take the weight off your legs. They served a dual purpose in that they were useful for keeping you upright after too many in t' pub beforehand.

Have you seen my belly recently? I'm not sure the old crush barriers would be up to the job these days!

And, as you will remember, we didn't need the pub before hand. We used to take carry outs into the games and the crowds were still pathetic at times.

I remember some guys who used to stand along from us would bring in cases of McEwan's Export and Lager and sit on them until there were too few to perch on.

Needless to say, by that time, they needed a seat more than ever! :greengrin

The first game that the alcohol ban came in was Berwick Rangers away on New Year's Day. We were in the first division. Rather than allow the police to confiscate our bottle of Glenmorangie, one of our group went back to the bus and had a sleep until the game was over.

In hindsight, having seen the game, it was a wise decision!

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Correct, and now I'm giving it on another standing thread.

DC_Hibs
19-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Correct, and now I'm giving it on another standing thread.

and why not, even the likes of you are entitled to their say.

You want to sit, then sit. Others can have the choice and there will be no impact whatsoever on you.
Glad that's been sorted.

Peevemor
19-12-2011, 12:29 PM

I know a couple of occasional match goers (5-6 games/season) who were put off going at all because they would be stuck alone due to there being no non-ST seats available beside their ST holding mates.

Hibbyradge
19-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I know a couple of occasional match goers (5-6 games/season) who were put off going at all because they would be stuck alone due to there being no non-ST seats available beside their ST holding mates.

This I can understand.

As far as the Dundee United fan not going cos he had to sit down, I wonder what he does for 2 hours on a Saturday now?

Maybe he stands watching live feeds on his PC.

Or maybe he stands at a bar watching Sky Sports News.

Where else can you stand for 2 hours without raising suspicion?

I am assuming that he does stand somewhere. Imagine the hypocrisy if he was actually seated elsewhere when the game was on! :shocked:

Hermit Crab
19-12-2011, 12:39 PM
He's actually a good guy. It's his choice and he says it's overpriced for what's on the park which is true.

green&left
19-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Great news. Time to lobby Hibs with this.

Saturday at Aberdeen was spot on. Steward told us on arrival "Top 6-7 rows if you want to stand lads, rest for sitting". Top 6-7 rows stood, rest sat. Spot on.

Saorsa
19-12-2011, 12:45 PM

I remember standing on the terracing in crowds of less than 4000. Most of the time, I wished I could have afforded the main stand for a sit down! :greengrinI dinnae ken anybody who stopped going because they put seats in, it certainly wouldnae be a reason I would stop going. That's not the issue, I have a seat, I still go but I'd rather still go and be allowed tae sing/chant while standing/bouncing about and do so in an area designed for that instead of risking falling over the back of the seat in front of me. If people who want tae sit in comfort (and fall asleep when the fitba is boring :greengrin )are able tae do so, people who want tae stand should be able tae do so as well IMO. Seats have IMO been a large part of what has killed of the atmosphere, people are more likely tae get involved if they are on their feet instead of sitting comfortably IMO, even in church (I've seen it on the telly) folk stand up tae sing.

Hibby Bairn
19-12-2011, 12:54 PM
even in church (I've seen it on the telly) folk stand up tae sing.

:thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
19-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I believe they should introduce this in IKEA.

Its a proven fact there are Currently no safe places for blokes to stand.

A standing bloke (usually waiting for wife/partner " just having a look whilst were here") appears to be a magnet for bargain hunting women who imagine he simply must be standing in the way of some hidden bargain ;)

I Efng hate everything about that shopping experience - apart from the hot dog and ice cream !

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 12:57 PM
and why not, even the likes of you are entitled to their say.

You want to sit, then sit. Others can have the choice and there will be no impact whatsoever on you.
Glad that's been sorted.

The likes of you!!! WTF who do you think you are? Try and reply without an insult next time if that's possible.

SneakersO'Toole
19-12-2011, 01:02 PM
This will be good news for a lot of fans I'm sure.

However, I would prefer that our board put every single second of their time into ensuring that Hibs remain an SPL club this season and leave investigating this until the summer.

We won't need much safe standing at ER if we are playing the likes of Queen of the South next season.

Big Frank
19-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Sooooooo overdue!

Standing to see the cabbage. Happy, happy days :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Big Frank
19-12-2011, 01:13 PM

Deary me

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Sooooooo overdue!

Standing to see the cabbage. Happy, happy days :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Deary me

Hibbyradge
19-12-2011, 01:17 PM
He's actually a good guy. It's his choice and he says it's overpriced for what's on the park which is true.

FWIW, I agree with him and I'd be surprised if that's not the primary reason for his non attendance.

Keith_M
19-12-2011, 01:19 PM

:troll:

He's a wind up merchant but, to give him his due, he is pretty good at it.

DC_Hibs
19-12-2011, 01:21 PM
The likes of you!!! WTF who do you think you are? Try and reply without an insult next time if that's possible.

eh eh cyalm down, cyalm down.

I never meant to ruffle any feathers lad.

Regards

Sir David Gray
19-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Don't see what's difficult about implementing this.

As people on here have already said, the stewards at Aberdeen on Saturday were able to accommodate those who wished to stand up at the back of the stand.

Seems pretty simple to me really.

As long as no-one who wishes to sit down, or who has to sit down, is having their view blocked by someone who is standing then I can see no problems at all.

All the reasons that I've heard regarding health & safety are absolute nonsense.

The_Exile
19-12-2011, 01:25 PM

http://files.sharenator.com/calm_down_Denominational_1-s500x560-108493-535.png

Keith_M
19-12-2011, 01:25 PM
One of the reasons (though not the only one) that standing areas are so successful in Germany is it gives at least one cheap option for attending football.

If we have standing areas that were the same price as seating, it removes a large part of the reason for having them. I'm not sure if many clubs will be too keen on that part of things.

To Clarify: I AM in favour of standing areas for both reasons, to try to improve the atmosphere and to give a cheaper option for attending games.

Hermit Crab
19-12-2011, 01:29 PM
One of the reasons (though not the only one) that standing areas are so successful in Germany is it gives at least one cheap option for attending football.

If we have standing areas that were the same price as seating, it removes a large part of the reason for having them. I'm not sure if many clubs will be too keen on that part of things.

To Clarify: I AM in favour of standing areas for both reasons, to try to improve the atmosphere and to give a cheaper option for attending games.

Games should only be £10 and £5 anyway but I agree that standing areas should be the cheaper option to get fans back.

Saorsa
19-12-2011, 01:30 PM

To Clarify: I AM in favour of standing areas for both reasons, to try to improve the atmosphere and to give a cheaper option for attending games.I dinnae see myself as being there paying for the seat but for the fitba. TBH I dinnae care if it costs the same as somebody who has a seat, I just dinnae want the seat.

Posh Swanny
19-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Presuming its perceived to be too dangerous to stand in "normal" seated areas, and that a return to the old school terraces will not be wanted - let's just fill the the Famous Five lower with a green version of these: http://www.epltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/bp2.blogger.com/_gJqV5dUNjGY/RchWerY6h4I/AAAAAAAAADY/PcTzchPMkeo/s400/safe-standing.jpg

For all-seated games like Europa League or Scotland, you simply flip the seats down and its one person per seat. But for "standing" games you flip the seats up and get two people into each space. The fact that each seat/row has its own solid crush barrier, means its actually a lot safer than the current situation where even the most obediently seated of supporters could run the risk of toppling over the shin-high seat in front after a goal against the Jambos.

Big Frank
19-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Deary me

Ok Scouse.

Im biting.

I am happy, really happy that there is a chance I can go and stand at a match. I'm happy someone like you can go to a match and sit.

Doesn't reaquire your reply I think.

Now, lets get to your post on standing at matches equates to " getting the lace ball back, no numbers on shirts and changing society".

Changing society. Dearie me indeed. Complete overreaction, and frankly nonsense.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 01:39 PM
:troll:

He's a wind up merchant but, to give him his due, he is pretty good at it.

Nah mate, not at it one bit in all seriousness. I am 100% not at the wind up on this thread or any other thread regarding standing. My response certainly seems to get peoples back up but please don't dismiss that as trolling as it is not the case.

Saorsa
19-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Presuming its perceived to be too dangerous to stand in "normal" seated areas, and that a return to the old school terraces will not be wanted - let's just fill the the Famous Five lower with a green version of these: http://www.epltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/bp2.blogger.com/_gJqV5dUNjGY/RchWerY6h4I/AAAAAAAAADY/PcTzchPMkeo/s400/safe-standing.jpg

For all-seated games like Europa League or Scotland, you simply flip the seats down and its one person per seat. But for "standing" games you flip the seats up and get two people into each space. The fact that each seat/row has its own solid crush barrier, means its actually a lot safer than the current situation where even the most obediently seated of supporters could run the risk of toppling over the shin-high seat in front after a goal against the Jambos.:agree: pretty much what I had in post 10.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 01:41 PM
eh eh cyalm down, cyalm down.

I never meant to ruffle any feathers lad.

Regards

Aye ok then I've calmed..............a little bit OTT response from me apologies.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Ok Scouse.

Im biting.

I am happy, really happy that there is a chance I can go and stand at a match. I'm happy someone like you can go to a match and sit.

Doesn't reaquire your reply I think.

Now, lets get to your post on standing at matches equates to " getting the lace ball back, no numbers on shirts and changing society".

Changing society. Dearie me indeed. Complete overreaction, and frankly nonsense.

Ok, I thought your reply was nonsense so retaliated with the same nonsenical quote of Deary me.

You can think of my post as nonsense if you like, that's how I feel about going back to the dark ages of terracing at matches..................never again I hope.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 01:47 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/calm_down_Denominational_1-s500x560-108493-535.png

Can't see your image as my PC is blocking it so no reply I'm afraid!

Hermit Crab
19-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Can't see your image as my PC is blocking it so no reply I'm afraid!

Yosser Hughes sterotype person with a wig and a mouser. :wink:

Chuck Rhoades
19-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Members of S43 have been discussing this and we are not sure if Hibs will choose to pilot this or not.

Safe Standing cannot be done in the East unless right at the very front due to the angle of the stand - it is too steep.

The FF lower would be the best shout; however how would this affect it from being the family stand with Hibs kids etc.

Or the west lower?

My preference would be FF lower all standing. Would create a better atmosphere IMO. Being in the middle of the FF lower and the noise spreading down the East/West for them to join in.

Approaching the club for clarity may be the best idea - just can't see Hibs buying into this at all unless the full Hibs support get behind this and push the club for it.

StevieC
19-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Members of S43 have been discussing this and we are not sure if Hibs will choose to pilot this or not.

Safe Standing cannot be done in the East unless right at the very front due to the angle of the stand - it is too steep.

The FF lower would be the best shout; however how would this affect it from being the family stand with Hibs kids etc.

Yes, it would have to be FF lower.

Family section could easily be moved to West, infact if they offered the same family incentives that they do in the FF lower they might actually manage to turn the current non-renewal trend with season tickets.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Yosser Hughes sterotype person with a wig and a mouser. :wink:

Haha I see, taking me back to my shell suit days and standing on the Kop!!!

Kojock
19-12-2011, 02:14 PM

If only the fans hadn't insisted on a single tier stand. A two tiered east would have been ideal for a pilot scheme with the lower standing and the upper seated. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

Billy Whizz
19-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Yes, it would have to be FF lower.

Family section could easily be moved to West, infact if they offered the same family incentives that they do in the FF lower they might actually manage to turn the current non-renewal trend with season tickets.

It would have to be a few rows down in the FF Lower as you won't be able to stand in front of the Executive Boxes!

.Sean.
19-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Even the lower of the FF would probably be deemed too steep? I'm no expert but aren't modern stands built steeper than terraces, which were more shallow?

Siralbertkidd
19-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Interested as to why people think it will mean cheaper enterance money. Cant see it myself.

Posh Swanny
19-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Ok, I thought your reply was nonsense so retaliated with the same nonsenical quote of Deary me.

You can think of my post as nonsense if you like, that's how I feel about going back to the dark ages of terracing at matches..................never again I hope.

I assume from your username that your aversion to terracing is somewhat personal after events in 1989 - but please look at the picture in this link: http://www.epltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/bp2.blogger.com/_gJqV5dUNjGY/RchWerY6h4I/AAAAAAAAADY/PcTzchPMkeo/s400/safe-standing.jpg

This would not be a return to the "dark ages of terracing". This is standing up in front of a seat but with a solid barrier in front to stop you falling forward - the barrier is in front of every seat in every row. Thousands of people stand in front of their seat every other Saturday (including on the Kop at Anfield) without the barrier currently so this would, without doubt, be a step forward with regard to safety.

SteveHFC
19-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Hopefully a wee standing section in the West Stand Lower. :greengrin

.Sean.
19-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Hopefully a wee standing section in the West Stand Lower. :greengrinThey could even adapt half the West lower to begin with, satnding section in the lower West up by the away end, ideal!

Hermit Crab
19-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Even the lower of the FF would probably be deemed too steep? I'm no expert but aren't modern stands built steeper than terraces, which were more shallow?

The old tannadice was a very steep terrace indeed was the old east not very steep in its day?

Keith_M
19-12-2011, 02:47 PM

It is much steeper but I don't think the FF Lower is too steep for terracing.

I'm sure there is some rule on it though, how steep it's allowed to be. Anyone know for sure? :dunno:

TheEastTerrace
19-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Was in the standing areas at St.Pauli and Schalke earlier this year. Quite enjoyed it and you have the freedom to move about if you're standing next to a bit of a bell-end. However, I would only go in Scotland if it meant lower prices. I can't see that happening.

Actually, and hate to be a kill-joy, but I have the merest of suspicions that this is the SPL trying to be seen to be placating fans' wishes in the knowledge that clubs will can the idea based on costs of tearing out seats and/or developing areas to implement the safe standing requirements and rail-seats.

PaulSmith
19-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Anyone expecting or wishing Hibs to rip out perfectly good seats (and increase the capacity) at a time when we cannot get it 50% full, are losing money plus need every penny that we can for the squad needs their heids looked at.

Seriously, the thought of taking £500k+ out of the budget to pay for this is crazy.

Easter Road should remain as it is. It's complete, a good team on the park will create the atmosphere and get the crowds back.

What until we're a one club city and playing in a expanded Europe league or UK league then go for it, until then we have what we have unfortunately as a standing area would've been a great addition but that opportunity is gone.

.Sean.
19-12-2011, 02:51 PM
The old tannadice was a very steep terrace indeed was the old east not very steep in its day?Not got a clue to be honest, i'm just a young pup!

Keith_M
19-12-2011, 02:54 PM
The old tannadice was a very steep terrace indeed...

It certainly was. I read an article recently that said each step was 8" high. That's probably double what it was at most other stadia. Great view tho'.

....was the old east not very steep in its day?

Not especially, no.

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I assume from your username that your aversion to terracing is somewhat personal after events in 1989 - but please look at the picture in this link: http://www.epltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/bp2.blogger.com/_gJqV5dUNjGY/RchWerY6h4I/AAAAAAAAADY/PcTzchPMkeo/s400/safe-standing.jpg

This would not be a return to the "dark ages of terracing". This is standing up in front of a seat but with a solid barrier in front to stop you falling forward - the barrier is in front of every seat in every row. Thousands of people stand in front of their seat every other Saturday (including on the Kop at Anfield) without the barrier currently so this would, without doubt, be a step forward with regard to safety.

Yeah I have seen lots of pictures of safe seating areas and heard lots of arguments for and against the idea. I am still totally against the idea. Anyone that thinks bringing back standing is just a case of providing the facilities in your picture and everything will be honkey dorey are very much mistaken IMO of course. Taking away my own personal view, I do very much doubt that Hibs will see this as a priority just now anyway.

TheEastTerrace
19-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Anyone expecting or wishing Hibs to rip out perfectly good seats (and increase the capacity) at a time when we cannot get it 50% full, are losing money plus need every penny that we can for the squad needs their heids looked at.

Seriously, the thought of taking £500k+ out of the budget to pay for this is crazy.

Easter Road should remain as it is. It's complete, a good team on the park will create the atmosphere and get the crowds back.

What until we're a one club city and playing in a expanded Europe league or UK league then go for it, until then we have what we have unfortunately as a standing area would've been a great addition but that opportunity is gone.

Which is why I think this is just an exercise in the SPL looking to appease supporters knowing full well the clubs will not have the money nor the justification for it

hibs0666
19-12-2011, 03:13 PM

Where did you get the half a million figure from?

PaulSmith
19-12-2011, 03:17 PM

Complete guess, it will however still be hundreds of thousands.

hibs0666
19-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Complete guess, it will however still be hundreds of thousands.

On the other hand the club could move quickly, seek funding for a trial from the Scottish Govt/SFA and convert the FF lower for hee-haw.

ballengeich
19-12-2011, 03:26 PM
The club that could benefit from this is Ross County if they're promoted. They were talking about having to spend up to £1 million on their ground to meet the 6000 seats regulation and feel the money could be better spent.

I'm in favour of a change. I go to some lower-level games and enjoy standing and being able to walk around to talk to different people during the game.

heretoday
19-12-2011, 03:27 PM
I never thought I'd accuse the SPL of being pretentious but in this case.....

You can't go back.

hibs0666
19-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I never thought I'd accuse the SPL of being pretentious but in this case.....

You can't go back.

It's not going backwards when you give customers what they demand.

JustSimplyHibs
19-12-2011, 03:38 PM
The SPL board meeting has given a green light to pilot safe standing areas in Scottish stadiums.

Good - because we can't fill them as it is - bring back the terracing! :thumbsup:

So my club who has spent millions redeveloping their ground for them to rip the seats back out again i.e. we just knocked our terracing down for a brand new spanking seated stand that lies empty every week, when we could have held on for a year to pilot such a scheme that money could have been spent better on the team.

Then you get clubs like Herts who have spent hardly any cash on their stadium now might not need to redevelop cause the SFA and SPL are changing the goalposts on stadium criteria....a think it's shocking, has been a waste of cash for teams who don't have any money, the money could have been better spent developing our youth..

A hope if this does go through clubs sue the SFA and SPL for forcing clubs to meet a certain criteria, look at the cash Falkirk missed out on when they were denied access to the SPL because to quote the SPL 'their stadium is not up to scratch'

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 03:41 PM
It's not going backwards when you give customers what they demand.

Are customers really demanding it or just remembering the good old days through tinted glasses? Nothing's ever as good as you quite remember it was!

PaulSmith
19-12-2011, 03:45 PM
On the other hand the club could move quickly, seek funding for a trial from the Scottish Govt/SFA and convert the FF lower for hee-haw.

Why would anyone with a sane mind give funding to an already fully compliant stadium when money is tight and we have 'facilities' like Meadowbank in disrepair?

It ain't going to happen, sadly.

Billy Whizz
19-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Standing is not for me as I like my seat and comfort. However on a positive it may increase our ground capacity when we may need it😄

Hermit Crab
19-12-2011, 04:21 PM
A report about terracing is on SSN in next 15 min or so according to jim white. It's ads the now

Joe Baker II
19-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Interested as to why people think it will mean cheaper enterance money. Cant see it myself.

I would pay more if there was choice to stand and would get a full season ticket - do not see why this is an issue?

Joe Baker II
19-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Was in the standing areas at St.Pauli and Schalke earlier this year. Quite enjoyed it and you have the freedom to move about if you're standing next to a bit of a bell-end. However, I would only go in Scotland if it meant lower prices. I can't see that happening.

Actually, and hate to be a kill-joy, but I have the merest of suspicions that this is the SPL trying to be seen to be placating fans' wishes in the knowledge that clubs will can the idea based on costs of tearing out seats and/or developing areas to implement the safe standing requirements and rail-seats.

The SPL is run by the clubs so I do not get the logic here - for once the likes of Petrie and others on SPL Board deserve some praise for chnaging their ridiculous rules.

Are you seriously saying Celtic and Hibs (probably the league's 2 best run clubs financially, if not necessarily in many other ways) cannot afford the costs of converting a small part of their ground for a pilot project? Even if one club only in SPL goes for it it will be thoroughly welcome development.

The sad thing is that it probably took falling crowds to get any action, when crowds were holding up overall in 2000s there were plenty of peole whom preferred to stand who were fed up of treatment by stewards and gave up going to SPL games.

Joe Baker II
19-12-2011, 04:37 PM
The stewards definately told us that if we wanted to stand we were to use the last six rows, everywhere else the fans had to sit. I stood the whole game as did everyone around me with no hassle at all from the stewards.

Very welcome to hear this, though cannot help think it was reaction to the heavy media criticism Aberdeen stewards got after Motherwell game (am told St Mirren had no problems standing at Pitoddrie the previous game too) rather than genuine outbreak of Christmas goodwill.

Joe Baker II
19-12-2011, 04:40 PM

Given the demolition of old and construction of new East Stand was I understand only around £2 million I cannot see how converting 1-2000 seats to terracing will get anything near this in the current economic climate.

sahib
19-12-2011, 04:42 PM
The SPL is run by the clubs so I do not get the logic here - for once the likes of Petrie and others on SPL Board deserve some praise for chnaging their rifdiculous rules. Are you seriously saying Celtic and Hibs (probably the league's 2 best run clubs financially, if not in other ways) cannot afford the costs of converting a small part of their ground for a pilot project? Even if one club only in SPL goes for it it will be thoroughly welcome development.

The sad thing is that it probably took falling crowds to get any action, when crowds were holding up overall in 2000s there were plenty of peole whom preferred to stand who were fed up of treatment by stewards and gave up going to SPL games.

This is good news. I hope now, people who stand outside the designated area will be ejected or sent to said area. Why do people want to stand? When I was young people moaned all the time about the lack of seats and cover. Maybe we should remove the roof as well.

Joe Baker II
19-12-2011, 04:45 PM
A little bit pee'd off at this and more so with Hibs who were insistant that there was absolutely no chance of the East being allowed to have a standing area in it.

It would seem that as soon as Celtic raised the subject that the fellow members of the SPL agreed, begs the question did we actually ask or did we just believe that it wasn't allowed.

The potential cost saving to Hibs here could have been immense and not to mention actually being at the forefront of bringing back standing areas.

As it stands it would be folly to spend more money to remove the seats that have been installed when the product on the pitch requires every single penny.

This was the line Garry O'Hagan took at the 2007-08 open meeting and given announcement today he should seriously be consdiering his position at the club - sadly I thoroughly believe Hibs had no interest in standing areas at the time given new East Stand would have been ideal opportunity to pilot standing area.

Still the right thing to pilot standing regardless of impact (if indeed any on league position) - relegation in 1931, 1980 and 1998 was not the end of the world and it will not be in 2012 either.

Siralbertkidd
19-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Maybe just misreading the thread, but it seemed folk expect Standing Area to be cheaper than Seated Areas. Thats good that you would pay more, can someone from S43 let me know if thats the general view from those that stand at present?

Saorsa
19-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Maybe just misreading the thread, but it seemed folk expect Standing Area to be cheaper than Seated Areas. Thats good that you would pay more, can someone from S43 let me know if thats the general view from those that stand at present?Dinnae ken about paying more but I'd be willing tae pay the same for the option of not having tae sit.

Joe Baker II
19-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Maybe just misreading the thread, but it seemed folk expect Standing Area to be cheaper than Seated Areas. Thats good that you would pay more, can someone from S43 let me know if thats the general view from those that stand at present?

I did not get East Stand season ticket last season after clubs clamp down on standing between March and September 2010 when new East Stand was built, have just got half season ticket now the more common sense approach toward standing in East has become embedded (albeit I think reluctantly from the club hierarchy).

Scottish football is over-priced but that is an issue regardless of whether grounds have terracing or not. But anything that improves experience will lead to more willingness to accept current levelS of prices - and has to be remembered that terracing will improve the atmosphere even for those who prefer to sit.

dp00
19-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Is it not just cheaper and easier to ignore the sitting rule ... As we do in the east ?

Then of people want to stand they can ? At there own risk ..

Cabbage East
19-12-2011, 07:34 PM

Safe to say you don't want to stand then. Fair enough. But why don't you want others standing?

Scouse Hibee
19-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Safe to say you don't want to stand then. Fair enough. But why don't you want others standing?

Quite simple we can't all get back on the bike after falling off!

NAE NOOKIE
19-12-2011, 08:02 PM

not sure that removing the seats from the bottom of the FF would increase the capacity, as far as I can work out the bottom of the FF holds between 1,700 and 2,000 no reason to make a standing area any bigger in capacity, even if technically it could hold more.

Also not sure why you think it would cost £500,000 Two guys with a spanner and an electric drill could remove the seats in a week. The same two guys with the same spanner and electric drill could fit barriers the second week. So apart from the cost of the actual barriers it probably wouldnt be that dear.

As for the opportunity being gone, as far as I can see its just arrived :greengrin

Emerald
19-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Posted this on the other thread but thought it was more appropriate to be here.

I think it would be a good idea to have a standing section, it would give folk choice and would bring back atmosphere. However, the best place for this would be the lower section of either the West of FF. The East (built as a single tier by 'popular demand') will become a bigger white elephant than it is right now. Its only one season old, cost a mint and now here we are talking about re-introducing standing. If there had been any chance that standing may have been introduced, surely it should have been investigated BEFORE we built the one tier East stand. You couldn't make it up! :confused:

Pete
19-12-2011, 08:16 PM
I would convert every lower tier in the ground if I could...even the south stand.

I really hope this happens because scottish football is dying on its erse. We've been railroaded into this all-seating situation unnecessarily and its time to correct the overreaction that was the taylor report with common sense.

Antifa Hibs
19-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Dunno why people are talking about £500,000 stadium upgrades etc. It's a pilot. Doubt the SFA are wanting clubs to spend money making changes for a tester.

More likely to be a case off saying for example, Famous Five lower has 2000 seats, we'll allow 1800 fans to stand in their in front of their seat. As lets face it there's nothing unsafe about that. Same with money, nae chance its going to be cheaper, well at least to start with. As much as a wee £2 saving would be welcome i'd happily pay the same.

Council shouldn't be an issue. They grant licences for rock concerts in football and other all seater stadiums. Only last week was I bouncing around on my seat for an hour and a half at the SECC for Kasabian. I'm still alive folks :cb

Jack
19-12-2011, 08:40 PM
There's a Bill going through the Westminster Parliament just now about safe standing.

I wrote to our friend Margo MacDonald a few months ago asking if she would introduce something similar in the Scottish Parliament.

She declined having obviously not read my letter - I was disappointed and a tad angry to say the least.

If she's reading this I TOLD YOU! :-P

PatHead
19-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Was speaking to a Director of an SPL club tonight. He advised that the folding seats shown in the earlier pictures have to be installed. The pilot scheme will be at Celtic Park and standing will be dearer than sitting due to costs involved in fitting the new seats/barriers and possible higher stewarding costs.

So no return to the good old days..........

Finally I bet the stewards will really come down on people who stand (my thoughts not his)

down-the-slope
19-12-2011, 09:19 PM

I sadly sit surrounded by such....at least in the days of standing you could move easily to more pleasant occupants.....back to the future :greengrin

West Upper
19-12-2011, 09:23 PM
I sadly sit surrounded by such....at least in the days of standing you could move easily to more pleasant occupants.....back to the future :greengrin

I thought in the days of standing it was one big happy family so no need to move at all. :greengrin

Eyrie
20-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Also not sure why you think it would cost £500,000 Two guys with a spanner and an electric drill could remove the seats in a week. The same two guys with the same spanner and electric drill could fit barriers the second week. So apart from the cost of the actual barriers it probably wouldnt be that dear.

The Dundee United chairman says that each seat would cost £100. So that's £200k for 2,000 seats in the Famous Five lower area.