PDA

View Full Version : Craig Brown comments on Saturday

JimBHibees
19-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Got to be said what a snivelling little balloon he came over as with his comments re: Thomson's decisions on ESPN on Saturday (except he only covered the red card, not the blatant dive). I never criticise referees (eh you do just not when you win). I would never go on the pitch like the Hibernian manager did it is disrespectful to the officials (eh you have Archie Knox as your assistant who is the biggest nutter in the game).

I personally thought he was way out of order with bringing what Pat Fenlon did into anything and insinuating he never criticises officials which is palpably a lie.

Dr Jimmy
19-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Got to be said what a snivelling little balloon he came over as with his comments re: Thomson's decisions on ESPN on Saturday (except he only covered the red card, not the blatant dive). I never criticise referees (eh you do just not when you win). I would never go on the pitch like the Hibernian manager did it is disrespectful to the officials (eh you have Archie Knox as your assistant who is the biggest nutter in the game).

I personally thought he was way out of order with bringing what Pat Fenlon did into anything and insinuating he never criticises officials which is palpably a lie.

No, but you will run down the touchline to punch your former chairman.

This man is a scrotum of the highest order, he is scared to say anything about anyone and I see no need to put a microphone in front of him, as he never gives an honest opinion.

JimBHibees
19-12-2011, 10:35 AM
No, but you will run down the touchline to punch your former chairman.

This man is a scrotum of the highest order, he is scared to say anything about anyone and I see no need to put a microphone in front of him, as he never gives an honest opinion.

Too true completely agree. :greengrin

nortonhibby
19-12-2011, 10:45 AM

PA Broon is an OAP HE RAMBLES NONESENSE He should have been put oot to pasture years ago. Best to just ignore the fool

grunt
19-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Slightly off topic I know, but I saw a bit of Jimmy Calderwood on the ESPN coverage.
Thank goodness we didn't get him as a manager!
He is so depressing to listen to. Wasn't very complimentary about Hibs, either.

Hibercelona
19-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Aberdeen have always had a history of having a complete ness about them. This includes their manager and their team. :agree:

truehibernian
19-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Got to be said what a snivelling little balloon he came over as with his comments re: Thomson's decisions on ESPN on Saturday (except he only covered the red card, not the blatant dive). I never criticise referees (eh you do just not when you win). I would never go on the pitch like the Hibernian manager did it is disrespectful to the officials (eh you have Archie Knox as your assistant who is the biggest nutter in the game).I personally thought he was way out of order with bringing what Pat Fenlon did into anything and insinuating he never criticises officials which is palpably a lie.Craig Brown has always been veiled in his criticism of refs. He is a very annoying man, never taken to him at all. That said mate I have had the pleasure of having drinks with Knox and Ferguson, after a Hearts testimonial at The Sheraton til the wee small hours. He is a top top man, as was AF. Both that night were very complimentary about Hibs and told old Hibs yarns.....Paddy Crerand was there too and admitted to having a soft spot for the Hibs. That said we were snottered by that point...if I said I supported Rochdale he would have had a soft spot for them too.

Hibs Class
19-12-2011, 12:22 PM

I heard his BBC radio interview - think he acknowledged the penalty was soft but that his player was bundled over. Also noted that Pawlett was a lovely lad with no malice (the usual defence offered by managers with nothing better to say!)

keep the faith
19-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Slightly off topic I know, but I saw a bit of Jimmy Calderwood on the ESPN coverage.

Tangoman is shameless. When the Hibs job was free he was falling over himself to praise us on the radio - even though we were playing even worse than the last few weeks. He sucks up to any club with a vacancy.

vanNISHtelroy
19-12-2011, 10:23 PM
But did his team have more corners? Seems to be only stat he's interested in!

grunt
19-12-2011, 10:53 PM
But did his team have more corners? Seems to be only stat he's interested in!Corners

Aberdeen 2
Hibernian 7

O'Rourke3
20-12-2011, 07:23 AM
My favourite was it was the fans that got Pawlett sent off as they were right behind the linesman :confused:.

Geo_1875
20-12-2011, 08:08 AM
My favourite was it was the fans that got Pawlett sent off as they were right behind the linesman :confused:.

Didn't you see Thomson turn towards us asking what we thought of the challenge?

brog
20-12-2011, 09:28 AM
I used to know Craig B quite well & 30 years or so back he was the best company ever. He told cracking stories, often making fun of himself & was a really good guy. I think what happened was during his tenure as Scotland Manager he found a proven way to manipulate our spineless press & he's carried on in that vein ever since.
FWIW I agree 100% with the OP, I thought his comments on Saturday were craven, petty & designed to deflect attention from the fact his team had stolen the game.

Ozyhibby
20-12-2011, 10:10 AM

I've been supporting Hibs for about 30 years now and he was a lot more complimentary about Hibs than I was on Saturday.

O'Rourke3
20-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Didn't you see Thomson turn towards us asking what we thought of the challenge?

Sorry no, must have missed that due to the cameras never being off the referee. TBF to Pa Broon. he's looking right across the pitch so could see the whole of the conversation that took place between the crowd and the Assistant Ref. BTW, what's it like influencing matches the way the weeg do in Glasgow, must've felt awesome :agree:

Spike Mandela
20-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Like how when talking about the penalty incident he said "why would my player go down?"

Ehhhhhhh to cheat and get a penalty Craig that's why.:na na:

killie-hibby
20-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Pawlett has been ofered a two match suspension for simulation.

Phil D. Rolls
20-12-2011, 07:49 PM

He's not as thick as he likes to make out, I think he is quite expert at mind games.

vanNISHtelroy
20-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Corners

Aberdeen 2
Hibernian 7
Your team def. deserved to win then, even he couldn't argue!

Sylar
21-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Pawlett banned for 2 games for simulation and Paw Broon claims that the referee was right in coming out and publicly admitting his mistake.

How does that help us though? The award from his dive has cost us at least a point - fine, it's been dealt with and Aberdeen now suffer from his absence, but how does it deal with the fact that we've been cheated out of vital points?

Sir David Gray
21-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Pawlett banned for 2 games for simulation and Paw Broon claims that the referee was right in coming out and publicly admitting his mistake.

How does that help us though? The award from his dive has cost us at least a point - fine, it's been dealt with and Aberdeen now suffer from his absence, but how does it deal with the fact that we've been cheated out of vital points?

I understand where you're coming from but I would say we're dealing here with ifs and buts. If the penalty hadn't been awarded, how would the game have been played out for the last half an hour? Would it necessarily have finished 0-0 or would there have been more goals? We'll never know that and the only way to settle it would have been to play the last 31 minutes of the game again.

And, to be honest, if we were going down that road, every single game would be getting replayed.

It's just time for video evidence to come in for circumstances like this. There's too much riding on football nowadays.

Hibs Class
21-12-2011, 06:42 PM

It doesn't help us, but I think Aberdeen deserve credit for not appealing it. Even if it's a tactic designed to help get his straight red card overturned it still shows a little bit more class than Rangers did when they appealed Aluko's ban and then feigned indignation and astonishment when their appeal was rightly thrown out.

Sylar
21-12-2011, 07:01 PM
I understand where you're coming from but I would say we're dealing here with ifs and buts. If the penalty hadn't been awarded, how would the game have been played out for the last half an hour? Would it necessarily have finished 0-0 or would there have been more goals? We'll never know that and the only way to settle it would have been to play the last 31 minutes of the game again.

And, to be honest, if we were going down that road, every single game would be getting replayed.

It's just time for video evidence to come in for circumstances like this. There's too much riding on football nowadays.

Oh, I'm not suggesting for one second there should have been a replay or the likes - more just the point that these things SHOULD be dealt with at the time and save such situations.

We might have stayed at 0-0, we might even have managed to find the edge to get a win, but one thing's for sure - we wouldn't have been starting on a -1 handicap!

If it had stayed 0-0, with no penalty award given, I guess we then have the "what would have happened if Pawlett hadn't been sent off?" issue also, but again, a simple review of a video screen would have dealt with it there and then.

I guess these things balance out over the season (O'Connor being an oft cited example), but the financial ramifications of this decision, should it play a role in us staying up or going down, is huge.

This is true all across the board, I'm aware.

clerriehibs
21-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Oh, I'm not suggesting for one second there should have been a replay or the likes - more just the point that these things SHOULD be dealt with at the time and save such situations.

We might have stayed at 0-0, we might even have managed to find the edge to get a win, but one thing's for sure - we wouldn't have been starting on a -1 handicap!

If it had stayed 0-0, with no penalty award given, I guess we then have the "what would have happened if Pawlett hadn't been sent off?" issue also, but again, a simple review of a video screen would have dealt with it there and then.

I guess these things balance out over the season (O'Connor being an oft cited example), but the financial ramifications of this decision, should it play a role in us staying up or going down, is huge.

This is true all across the board, I'm aware.

You're comparing apples with bananas there - whatever the media may think, both incidents were reviewed, O'Connor's WAS a penalty, Pawlett's WASN'T.

Sylar
21-12-2011, 10:45 PM
You're comparing apples with bananas there - whatever the media may think, both incidents were reviewed, O'Connor's WAS a penalty, Pawlett's WASN'T.

I'm not comparing the 2, hence the "oft cited".