View Full Version : David Weir

18-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Says he wants to go on loan. Know he is slow but could he be a model professional for our youngsters?

18-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Says he wants to go on loan. Know he is slow but could he be a model professional for our youngsters?Slow? He makes Hart look like Speedy Gonzalez. NO thanks

18-12-2011, 06:23 PM
In a heart beat

Niffy
18-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Covered in the Russell Anderson thread.

18-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Says he wants to go on loan. Know he is slow but could he be a model professional for our youngsters?

As in how to grab players by the throat?

Or 'referee' games?

No ta.

18-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Doubt his exploits would go unnoticed for a non OF team!

18-12-2011, 06:37 PM
For all that he is an experienced player, I think dropping one of our defenders and replacing him with a 40 plus year old player would almost be a knockout blow to their already fragile confidence.

18-12-2011, 06:40 PM
It would be good to have a referee playing for us though. :aok:

18-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Doubt his exploits would go unnoticed for a non OF team!You mean the elbowing, the choking and shirt pulling?

Cannae believe he wouldnae get away with that elsewhere :rolleyes:

18-12-2011, 07:01 PM
The Govan Strangler ..... er ... no thanks....

18-12-2011, 07:04 PM
It could put his Scotland career right back on track though.

18-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Do some posters have no ambition for the club AT ALL ?
David Weir - " thanks but no thanks " :confused:

stu in nottingham
18-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Rangers can keep their cast-offs. Many of us remember the last time we signed a forty-year old from them!

Seriously, we need to go the way of youth.

18-12-2011, 07:27 PM

Ambition !! would hibs employing davie for anything other than Coaching - be anything other than ambition..

im sure he would be a good coach to have in your ranks... but to have him as a player ?? im not so sure...

if he is looking for one last payday :cb then he is not going to get it...

he has the chance of a promising career at everton as a coach anytime he likes and closer to family !!!

18-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Not sure about him, he is ridiculously slow and really getting on, but given that none of our defenders are actually able to defend, he would definitely organise them alot better.

People saying we need to go the way of youth, are we not actually doing that? Got quite a lot of youngsters either in the first team or on the fringes, and whilst individually all decent players, as a team they are awful. Proper experience and leadership in there would not be unwelcomed, as noone else seems to have it.

18-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Gets away with murder in a Hun team, wouldn't with us.

soupy
18-12-2011, 08:11 PM
The guys a complete bellend, can't stand him. Anyway he's far too slow now.

18-12-2011, 08:25 PM
In a heart beat

:agree: Better than any of our back 4 by a mile... And the fact he's slow makes no odds to me, the back 4 are painfully slow already so won't make much difference.

18-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Yes please.

woody47
18-12-2011, 08:52 PM
IMHO. Are we really getting that desperate to take a cheating cart horse like Weir? Do we need someone to show us how to elbow, fall over, scream at refs etc etc etc etc? No way

Forthview
18-12-2011, 08:58 PM
It would be humiliating which is much worse than being rubbish.
:no way:

18-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Why? is he the guy that won the Euromillions, if so maybe?

18-12-2011, 09:12 PM
We could have David Weir, Craig Brewster & Russell Latapy in the squad and we'd look far more efficient. :wink:

18-12-2011, 09:22 PM
We could have David Weir, Craig Brewster & Russell Latapy in the squad and we'd look far more efficient. :wink:

:greengrin Seen Roughie on celebrity eggheads today, you've set me thinking :wink:

18-12-2011, 09:48 PM
:greengrin Seen Roughie on celebrity eggheads today, you've set me thinking :wink:

It's got me thinking as well... :confused:

Since when did Roughie achieve celebrity status? :wink:

18-12-2011, 11:04 PM
IMHO. Are we really getting that desperate to take a cheating cart horse like Weir? Do we need someone to show us how to elbow, fall over, scream at refs etc etc etc etc? No way

A cart horse who has been the backbone of a team that has won back to back titles in the same league we play in? Absolute non-starter, anyone who thinks the players we have have more to offer than said carthorse needs to point me in the direction of their local chemist.

18-12-2011, 11:07 PM

What is the measure of your ambition for hibs, and how much do you think it will cost?

18-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Do not want that **** in a Hibs Strip. I would rather have Russell Anderson :agree:

18-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Do not want that **** in a Hibs Strip. I would rather have Russell Anderson :agree:I'd rather have neither. SAGA holiday club members or patients for the treatment? No thanks!

19-12-2011, 06:38 AM
If he can't get a game in the current Rangers team is he good enough for us?

19-12-2011, 06:51 AM
NO, NO and NO!!!

MontrealHibs
19-12-2011, 07:04 AM

Without stating the obvious, can you remind me of our respective league positions?

19-12-2011, 08:08 AM

Eh, yes.

19-12-2011, 10:06 AM
He would be sent off every week while playing for us. He'd be 45 by the time his suspensions were up! If we have to sign an older player looking for one last payday then let's look at someone with a bit class & dignity, a la Sauzee!

19-12-2011, 10:16 AM
He would be sent off every week while playing for us. He'd be 45 by the time his suspensions were up! If we have to sign an older player looking for one last payday then let's look at someone with a bit class & dignity, a la Sauzee!

Aye cos there's plenty "European Cup Winning, Captain of a top National Team, Captain and Rock of a top Euro Club" players kicking around willing to come to this mess eh? :greengrin

19-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Its a yes from me.

19-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Must admit I am surprised how many folk have dismissed this out of hand. Everyone agrees
1. The team needs a leader,
2. Stevens, Booth and Hanlon need support and encouragement at the back
3. If Witherspoon and Stevenson are playing holding role he would be right behind them
4. The guy is used to winning and God how we could do with that mentality on the park
5. It would only be a loan deal until the end of the season so it wouldn't bankcrupt us whilst buying time to build squad

To me he covers a lot of these issues. Personally don't really care for him but think he could do a job if someone could cover his lack of pace.

soupy
19-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Two SPL sides he won't sign for are hibs and celic, although don't rule out a loan move to the yams.

bruno
19-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Two SPL sides he won't sign for are hibs and celic, although don't rule out a loan move to the yams.

you can rule it out we can't afford him....or anyone

19-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Is this the same Davie Weir who until a few months ago was a Rangers regular and captain??

Has anyone seen our goals against column? has anyone seen our league position??

I suppose all those experts who claim he is too slow now have witnessed this rapid deterioration in the last few months??

Some people on here need to get a grip and have a look at the big picture. We are joint bottom of the league with a pish team and for that reason someone with the experience and knowledge of the game that Weir has would surely enhance our team???!

Anyone remember Sauzee going to play centre half for us and he was apparently slow?! What he may have lacked in pace was more than made up in ability easily.

19-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Is this the same Davie Weir who until a few months ago was a Rangers regular and captain??

I suppose all those experts who claim he is too slow now have witnessed this rapid deterioration in the last few months??

Some people on here need to get a grip and have a look at the big picture. We are joint bottom of the league with a pish team and for that reason someone with the experience and knowledge of the game that Weir has would surely enhance our team???!

Anyone remember Sauzee going to play centre half for us and he was apparently slow?! What he may have lacked in pace was more than made up in ability easily.

19-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Must admit I am surprised how many folk have dismissed this out of hand. Everyone agrees
1. The team needs a leader,
2. Stevens, Booth and Hanlon need support and encouragement at the back
3. If Witherspoon and Stevenson are playing holding role he would be right behind them
4. The guy is used to winning and God how we could do with that mentality on the park
5. It would only be a loan deal until the end of the season so it wouldn't bankcrupt us whilst buying time to build squad

To me he covers a lot of these issues. Personally don't really care for him but think he could do a job if someone could cover his lack of pace.

Would he be any worse than O'Hanlon. No.

Put him along side Stevens and watch the young lad flourish along with the other young defensive players in the team.

He is just what we need if a relagation battle looms for us.

19-12-2011, 01:04 PM

Anyone remember Sauzee going to play centre half for us and he was apparently slow?! What he may have lacked in pace was more than made up in ability easily.You think Weir is comparable tae Sauzee in terms of ability? Sauzee made up for lack of pace with his brain and his ability, what Weir lacks for in pace he makes up for by hauling players back by their jerseys or choking or elbowing them. He might get away with that at the huns but can you imaging him getting away with that playing for Hibs? I think not.

Here's a good example of Weirs defending for Scotland, using his brain/ability instead of his pace, and that was 2 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDgF5VzxcPM

again no thanks!

19-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Without stating the obvious, can you remind me of our respective league positions?

No need to state the obvious. What you are implying is that the Rangers reserves are better than our first team?

19-12-2011, 03:26 PM
You think Weir is comparable tae Sauzee in terms of ability? Sauzee made up for lack of pace with his brain and his ability, what Weir lacks for in pace he makes up for by hauling players back by their jerseys or choking or elbowing them. He might get away with that at the huns but can you imaging him getting away with that playing for Hibs? I think not.

Here's a good example of Weirs defending for Scotland, using his brain/ability instead of his pace, and that was 2 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDgF5VzxcPM

again no thanks!

Did I say he was as good as Sauzee anywhere???

I was merely using him as an example of someone who's lack of pace did not affect his overall game.

Nice of you to use some selective footage of Weir. Hardly representative of his 5 years at Ibrox. Perhaps you could also find him lifting numerous trophies too in order to give a more balanced view?

nortonhibby
19-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Nope he is finished.

19-12-2011, 04:05 PM
It's got me thinking as well... :confused:

Since when did Roughie achieve celebrity status? :wink:

:greengrin Ach, I dunno, if you're old enough you're good enough it seems :offski:

19-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Did I say he was as good as Sauzee anywhere???

I was merely using him as an example of someone who's lack of pace did not affect his overall game.

Nice of you to use some selective footage of Weir. Hardly representative of his 5 years at Ibrox. Perhaps you could also find him lifting numerous trophies too in order to give a more balanced view?It's not a very good example IMO when the gulf in quality is of player is so big. Sauzee used his brain/ability, Weir disnae have and never had that ability, he's a clogger. I think his age does affect his game and I think he got away with being old and slow because of the reasons I mentioned, if he wisnae at the huns he would never have got away with half of the stuff he did. Lifting trophies playing with the smellies or the huns is hardly a great achievement in this country considering how much things are stacked in their favour. If I had the time and could be ersed I could find far more examples of him pulling other players shirts than lifting trophies. We'll agree tae disagree, you want Hibs tae sign has been SAGA holiday club members, I dinnae.

19-12-2011, 09:00 PM
My feelings on Davie Weir are well documented.

I'll leave it at that.