PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Goal

Sergey
18-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I took in the Harrow Borough/Lowestoft match yesterday. £9 entry (including a programme) and six goals. The first one is an absolute cracker by a young Bulgarian lad called Lubo Guentchev.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRnXbG-C6fA

HH81
18-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Yesterday I went to Sheffield Wednesday 4 Huddersfield 4.

one of the best games of football i have seen for a long time. :agree:

I noticed you watch Barnet a bit, What you think of them leaving the hole that is Underhill?

Sergey
18-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Yesterday I went to Sheffield Wednesday 4 Huddersfield 4.

one of the best games of football i have seen for a long time. :agree:

I noticed you watch Barnet a bit, What you think of them leaving the hole that is Underhill?

I actually feel really sorry for the club as they've fought long and hard to redevelop the existing site, which must rank as the worst ground in the football league.

The bottom line is the Tory council. They simply don't want them. If you know Underhill, it backs onto so called 'green-belt' which is actually a cricket pitch and a few football pitches and then open fields that stretch for miles. The club only want 20 meters of this 'green-belt' so they can develop. They've come to an agreement with the local residents and have a CPO to pay 25% above market value to buy them out, but the council continually scupper any move.

They'll probably end up leaving the borough altogether, possibly a ground-share. Enfield have just moved into a brand spanking new stadium so that might be an option. Edgware was another option that was touted.

Great little club, Barnet and friendly folks.

HH81
18-12-2011, 06:11 PM
I actually feel really sorry for the club as they've fought long and hard to redevelop the existing site, which must rank as the worst ground in the football league.

The bottom line is the Tory council. They simply don't want them. If you know Underhill, it backs onto so called 'green-belt' which is actually a cricket pitch and a few football pitches and then open fields that stretch for miles. The club only want 20 meters of this 'green-belt' so they can develop. They've come to an agreement with the local residents and have a CPO to pay 25% above market value to buy them out, but the council continually scupper any move.

They'll probably end up leaving the borough altogether, possibly a ground-share. Enfield have just moved into a brand spanking new stadium so that might be an option. Edgware was another option that was touted.

Great little club, Barnet and friendly folks.

Yes I have been there a few times, not a big fan of the ground to be honest.

Its always the fans that suffer, Rotherham went through same fate. I went passed their old ground yesterday on train and its poor so see a half built stand doing nothing.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
18-12-2011, 06:23 PM
I took in the Harrow Borough/Lowestoft match yesterday. £9 entry (including a programme) and six goals. The first one is an absolute cracker by a young Bulgarian lad called Lubo Guentchev.

Lubo's dad is former Bulgarian international, Boncho Guentchev, who played in the 94 World Cup.

Sergey
18-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Yes I have been there a few times, not a big fan of the ground to be honest.

Its always the fans that suffer, Rotherham went through same fate. I went passed their old ground yesterday on train and its poor so see a half built stand doing nothing.

You're right. It's the genuine fans who suffer and I've lost any respect that I had for councillors. It's politics that's the issue and the whole escapade has nothing to do with sport.

As an aside, it's £19 to get into Underhill this season - that's a bit rich for the quality on show. In saying that, Sanchez has requested that their next 5 matches be played on a Friday night, so that's a perfect excuse for a few shandies and another match on the Saturday.

HH81
18-12-2011, 06:32 PM
You're right. It's the genuine fans who suffer and I've lost any respect that I had for councillors. It's politics that's the issue and the whole escapade has nothing to do with sport.

As an aside, it's £19 to get into Underhill this season - that's a bit rich for the quality on show. In saying that, Sanchez has requested that their next 5 matches be played on a Friday night, so that's a perfect excuse for a few shandies and another match on the Saturday.

Do they get bigger gates on a Friday? £19 is too expensive but I paid £24 in south stand at Wednesday yesterday.

Sergey
18-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Lubo's dad is former Bulgarian international, Boncho Guentchev, who played in the 94 World Cup.

That's the boy. He played for Luton Town and Ipswich (or was it Norwich?) in the 90's.

Lowestoft signed Lubo from Hendon last season and the guy is a quality wee player. He had signed a pre-contract agreement with a German club but somehow Lowestoft managed to retain his services. For how much longer I don't know as he's better than Ryman League level.

Haymaker
18-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Cracking goal!

I go along to AFC Totton now and then, absolutely love it. First game against Weymouth there were 6 goals, 4 red cards and 2 penalties. Brilliant viewing.

Sergey
18-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Do they get bigger gates on a Friday? £19 is too expensive but I paid £24 in south stand at Wednesday yesterday.

The gates are probably 20% down because of the switch. The switch was due to Sanchez believing that the team were performing better under floodlights than they were on a Saturday afternoon. Maintaining their league position is the number one priority and a couple of hundred off the gate is of secondary importance.

They've also scraped into the area final of the Johnstone Paint Trophy and have a 2-legged tie against Swindon. The winner of that will play the Northern winner at Wembley. That's another money-spinner as they adhere to a strict wages to turnover ethic. They actually have the lowest wage-bill in the Football League and survival is genuinely against the odds.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-12-2011, 07:08 PM
I paid £15 for West Ham v Barnsley, it wasnae very good, but, 3pts and move on.