PDA

View Full Version : Never seen a fan base so critical

Green and white
17-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Seriously.....

Been a hibee for as long as I can remember although I've never really ventured on the hibs forums until this season. I have however been apart of the liverpool forums as I also support them and comparing the two together, when liverpool had a bad spell last year there was a few doubters but the majority of the fans were behind the team. Everyone is calling for the owners head? I don't see why because he is only there to pay the bills and sing the cheques. As far as I'm aware they did provide transfer money last season for CC which the scouting staff obviously highlighted as players who would improve the club given the money available.

How ever the team has been garbage this season but so has the support. Staying in glasgow the majority of my friends are selleck or rangers fans and they used to speak of ER as a hard place to come before the new stands were built. Now all you get at ER is abuse towards the players when things don't go our way.

Players read the forums and see the criticism and they let it get inside there head which just continues to more poor performances. I know this because my cousin plays spl football and he has told me if a player in the team gets a bit of stick, they're straight on the forums to see who's being saying what. A lot of players get can end up depressed because of the abuse they get (who would think a guy getting paid 3/4k a week to play football could get depressed about his job) but it does happen as these boys are just like me and you. Although sometimes they don't look interested on the pitch (which is what a lot of these comments are saying) they do care what people think of them. If we got behind them it would add some extra motivation and give them a moral boost. Has anyone here ever missed a sitter in an important game? I've missed a fair few and sometimes parents at the side of the park can get on my back but then my manager would have a word and try to boost my confidence which can motivate me to get the next one. The feeling you get when someone slates you after missing is terrible. you end up ****ing up your first touch and misplacing passes all over the shot because your worried about making mistakes. All this added pressure simply comes from people watching the game who want you to do well but are going the wrong way about it. Paul Lambert said the difference between Scotland and Germany was when I played **** in Germany, the coach would come and ask me if anything was wrong and if there was anything he could do to help. In Scotland he had some older man screaming in his face telling him he was useless.

I think we need to stop blaming the board, the manager and the players and start supporting our team. After all that's why we're here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgAbu4zOxg4

Viva_Palmeiras
17-12-2011, 06:44 PM
I blame old men myself ;)

Newhaven
17-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Seriously.....

Been a hibee for as long as I can remember although I've never really ventured on the hibs forums until this season. I have however been apart of the liverpool forums as I also support them and comparing the two together, when liverpool had a bad spell last year there was a few doubters but the majority of the fans were behind the team. Everyone is calling for the owners head? I don't see why because he is only there to pay the bills and sing the cheques. As far as I'm aware they did provide transfer money last season for CC which the scouting staff obviously highlighted as players who would improve the club given the money available.

How ever the team has been garbage this season but so has the support. Staying in glasgow the majority of my friends are selleck or rangers fans and they used to speak of ER as a hard place to come before the new stands were built. Now all you get at ER is abuse towards the players when things don't go our way.

Players read the forums and see the criticism and they let it get inside there head which just continues to more poor performances. I know this because my cousin plays spl football and he has told me if a player in the team gets a bit of stick, they're straight on the forums to see who's being saying what. A lot of players get can end up depressed because of the abuse they get (who would think a guy getting paid 3/4k a week to play football could get depressed about his job) but it does happen as these boys are just like me and you. Although sometimes they don't look interested on the pitch (which is what a lot of these comments are saying) they do care what people think of them. If we got behind them it would add some extra motivation and give them a moral boost. Has anyone here ever missed a sitter in an important game? I've missed a fair few and sometimes parents at the side of the park can get on my back but then my manager would have a word and try to boost my confidence which can motivate me to get the next one. The feeling you get when someone slates you after missing is terrible. you end up ****ing up your first touch and misplacing passes all over the shot because your worried about making mistakes. All this added pressure simply comes from people watching the game who want you to do well but are going the wrong way about it. Paul Lambert said the difference between Scotland and Germany was when I played **** in Germany, the coach would come and ask me if anything was wrong and if there was anything he could do to help. In Scotland he had some older man screaming in his face telling him he was useless.

I think we need to stop blaming the board, the manager and the players and start supporting our team. After all that's why we're here.

Aye its the fans fault

RIP
17-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Worst home support in the spl

Like playing away every week

But we can change

If we really care about our club

Newhaven
17-12-2011, 06:46 PM

Kilmarnock and Dundee Utd would disagree

Spike Mandela
17-12-2011, 06:49 PM
I seem to remember Hibs having crap teams and players lacking confidence long before messageboard forums were invented.

Hibs supporters only reflect what is happening on the pitch and it has been a downward spiral for four years.

Please , please don't compare our situation to Liverpool's 'troubles' FFS. We would kill to have their problems!

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-12-2011, 06:56 PM
I can't really comment because I never look at any other football website other than Hibs.Net but more importantly I could not care less about how other supporters feel about their teams.

edwards
17-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Everyone is calling for the owners head? I don't see why because he is only there to pay the bills and sing the cheques.

I do agree with most of what you have said apart from the quote above I am afraid the Tache must take part of the blame for his involvement.
I do agree we should get behind the team but the best way for the fans to get behind the team is for the team to start wining and that ain't happening, yes It's only Paddy's first couple of games and we are all desperate for him to be a success.
The quicker he gets his first win behind him the better and if any of the Hibs players areon line reading this come on lads get a grip and start winning for the fans. :flag:

Green and white
17-12-2011, 07:17 PM
I seem to remember Hibs having crap teams and players lacking confidence long before messageboard forums were invented.

Hibs supporters only reflect what is happening on the pitch and it has been a downward spiral for four years.

Please , please don't compare our situation to Liverpool's 'troubles' FFS. We would kill to have their problems!

at one point last season liverpool were looking at relegation and administration. since then they don't really have any problems apart from not scoring.

It's been a downward spiral since yogi stopped winning, at the start of the season he had a better record than any manager in the last 4 years (in the league anyway). I'm not saying we're playing bad because ER has a **** atmosphere. I'm saying we would play better if we supported our players more instead of giving them abuse every chance we get. If the atmosphere was better at ER surely that would only increase our chances of winning/team playing better.

GloriousHibs
17-12-2011, 07:22 PM
A bad spell with the knowledge that my team had won 18 titles and 5 European cups. Not entirely the same.

We pay salaries ( allegedly) that are 4th/ 5th highest in Scotland yet the players we have signed over the last 4/5 years have been far below the required standard for a club the size and stature of Hibernian. We can take defeats, just not all the time and every year, irrespective of competition, we should be at least mid table and aiming to push on to 3rd / 4th.

We deserve a significant improvement in the next 12 months, I only hope we're in the SPL to see it.

In a serious quandry, last payment due on season next month. Dont want to reinvest next year because its been abject misery but know that if I and others like me dont, we're unlikely to improve. Hmmm

Sir David Gray
17-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Seriously.....

Liverpool won the Champions League just a few years ago, they've never finished any lower than 8th in the history of the Premiership, they are undefeated at home so far this season and they have about 20 full internationalists in their squad.

Meanwhile, Hibs have won just nine league matches in the whole of 2011, are joint bottom of one of the worst leagues in Europe, have won only nine major honours during our 136 years of existence and have players that, on current form, would struggle to get a game for the Faroe Islands or Malta, never mind Brazil, England or even Scotland.

Your overall point may be correct and valid, we may well have one of the most critical supports in the world but please don't compare our fans with Liverpool's in terms of how we both react to poor results and lack of form.

Liverpool's "bad run" last season, lasted a few months before Dalglish came in and quickly turned things around.

Ours has lasted two years, with no obvious signs that things are going to improve any time soon.

iwasthere1972
17-12-2011, 07:35 PM
at one point last season liverpool were looking at relegation and administration. since then they don't really have any problems apart from not scoring.

It's been a downward spiral since yogi stopped winning, at the start of the season he had a better record than any manager in the last 4 years (in the league anyway). I'm not saying we're playing bad because ER has a **** atmosphere. I'm saying we would play better if we supported our players more instead of giving them abuse every chance we get. If the atmosphere was better at ER surely that would only increase our chances of winning/team playing better.

Drama queen. :wink:

Green and white
17-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Liverpool won the Champions League just a few years ago, they've never finished any lower than 8th in the history of the Premiership, they are undefeated at home so far this season and they have about 20 full internationalists in their squad.

Meanwhile, Hibs have won just nine league matches in the whole of 2011, are joint bottom of one of the worst leagues in Europe, have won only nine major honours during our 136 years of existence and have players that, on current form, would struggle to get a game for the Faroe Islands or Malta, never mind Brazil, England or even Scotland.

Your overall point may be correct and valid, we may well have one of the most critical supports in the world but please don't compare our fans with Liverpool's in terms of how we both react to poor results and lack of form.

Liverpool's "bad run" last season, lasted a few months before Dalglish came in and quickly turned things around.

Ours has lasted two years, with no obvious signs that things are going to improve any time soon.

yeah maybe I had a bad example with liverpool but you see the point im trying to make. we cant control what the directors, manager or players do or how well they perform but we can support them and hopefully motivate them to get out of this "downward spiral"

Ray_
17-12-2011, 07:59 PM
yeah maybe I had a bad example with liverpool but you see the point im trying to make. we cant control what the directors, manager or players do or how well they perform but we can support them and hopefully motivate them to get out of this "downward spiral"

Being joint bottom on the league doesn't just rely on poor home form, the players get decent support away from home.

hibsbollah
17-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Its a reasonable point the OP makes. A player has also told me that they do read the boards and it does effect them (how couldnt it? Personally I wouldnt want a gaggle of sociopaths in front of their laptops in their underpants criticising my performance at work). On the other hand I think its exaggerated how moany we are as a support. Newcastle season ticket holders who ive taken to ER recently have said they dislike the grumbling and negativity that comes from the East Stand, but that they see it at SJP as well (and we're always told how passionate the geordies are). Theres always an element of every support that has the urge to give their own a good kicking.

When we start winning and playing well, we'll be 'good' fans again.

Hibrandenburg
17-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Hibs fans have always been a bunch of grumbling moaners. I used to think that's what people went to watch for, to have a good moan. Even during the times of TT you'd always find some elements rounding on individual players and singling them out for abuse.

Suppose it's better than what the infirm do, i.e. having success on the park but if and when they lose they go home and give their Mrs a belting.

Think StPauli fans have got it right, big celebration everytime they get beat and a massive one when they win. Mind you having their stadium on the Reeperbahn makes it easy to party.

TowerHibs
17-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Don't think the fans appreciate how much an influence we have

Not saying its the fans fault - no way is it!

But we can lift the club and team more than any player, manager and owner. Get right behind the guys, encourage and intimidate the other teams. No team in SPL hates coming to Easter road.

Holmesdale Hibs
17-12-2011, 08:32 PM
I've been to Saint James as well and there was alot of moaning, even when they beat arsenal 1-0. The atmosphere was average at best but that was only because they were winning. I remember Joey Barton saying the Geordie support were 'vicious' towards their own team.

I've been to other matches in the EPL and abroad and ER is up there with the most irate and negative atmospheres I've seen. It's worse at the moment but even under Mowbray I remember people standing up and screaming abuse at Whitaker, Riordan, Fletcher etc.

Beefster
17-12-2011, 08:34 PM
I have however been apart of the liverpool forums as I also support them and comparing the two together, when liverpool had a bad spell last year there was a few doubters but the majority of the fans were behind the team.

By your own admission, they had a 'bad spell'. We've been mince for longer than a spell.

I seem to recall Liverpool fans, effectively, getting Hodgson sacked too but I don't want to get into a debate on Liverpool fans.

JohnScott
17-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Fraid to say I agree with the OP and Ive been going to ER since the seventies. I've posted before that Mike McDonald told us the players preferred playing away from home (and that was in the late seventies!) There's no denying some of the players are simply not good enough but there is absolutely no doubt some of them are nervous taking the field at home.

Don't lose faith though pal because I have also witnessed Hibs fans roaring the team off the park after defeats. We might not be the best but we've had our moments over the years. As for our away support it has always been one of the best and I'm proud to have been one of them.

PapillonVert
17-12-2011, 08:44 PM
For God's sake, don't give the players any more reason to avoid responsibility! They really need to get the finger oot

The manager can only do so much. On the pitch it is up to the players and they really need to start knuckling down and grinding out some results.

Beefster
17-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Personally I wouldnt want a gaggle of sociopaths in front of their laptops in their underpants criticising my performance at work).

Don't be tarring me with that brush. I take my underpants off before I get my laptop out.

Nuitdelune
17-12-2011, 08:48 PM
It's an Edinburgh thing, perhaps

hibsbollah
17-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Hibs fans have always been a bunch of grumbling moaners..

When I was wee (and before I decided on Hibs as my team) I was taken to both Tynecastle and Easter Road. This was the late 70s and my memory of Hearts fans (against Morton IIRC) was they were moaning, miserable, joyless fuds who hated their own players with a passion and enjoyed getting on their back. Easter Road seemed a much more forgiving place. This was 1979, the year we got relegated, so it wasnt just that we were better than them at the time.

JohnScott
17-12-2011, 09:03 PM
For God's sake, don't give the players any more reason to avoid responsibility! They really need to get the finger oot

The manager can only do so much. On the pitch it is up to the players and they really need to start knuckling down and grinding out some results.

That's the point though PV. We've got what we wanted, a new manager. So isn't time we got the finger out"?? At least until PF gets in his own players. What else did you expect him to do with this present squad? Walk through the door and make them as good as Motherwell lol? Willing to bet you booed Ally MacLeod. :wink:

And HB, Hearts fans did more than moan back then!

mca
17-12-2011, 09:43 PM
That's the point though PV. We've got what we wanted, a new manager. So isn't time we got the finger out"?? At least until PF gets in his own players. What else did you expect him to do with this present squad? Walk through the door and make them as good as Motherwell lol? Willing to bet you booed Ally MacLeod. :wink:

And HB, Hearts fans did more than moan back then!

Exactly - lets try and not boo and get irate at every missed pass and "Encourage" the players to do better...

its like shouting abuse at actors in a porn movie who cany get it stiff !! - its not going to help them..

bring back dirk ......

iwasthere1972
17-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Exactly - lets try and not boo and get irate at every missed pass and "Encourage" the players to do better...

its like shouting abuse at actors in a porn movie who cany get it stiff !! - its not going to help them..

bring back dirk ......

:hilarious but a very weird comparison.

spike220
18-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Its a reasonable point the OP makes. A player has also told me that they do read the boards and it does effect them (how couldnt it? Personally I wouldnt want a gaggle of sociopaths in front of their laptops in their underpants criticising my performance at work). On the other hand I think its exaggerated how moany we are as a support. Newcastle season ticket holders who ive taken to ER recently have said they dislike the grumbling and negativity that comes from the East Stand, but that they see it at SJP as well (and we're always told how passionate the geordies are). Theres always an element of every support that has the urge to give their own a good kicking.

When we start winning and playing well, we'll be 'good' fans again.

Comedy gold.

I agree 100% with OP.

We are hibs! fighting among ourselves is a waste of time. We need to put the our energy into intimdating the opposition not our own folk.

GGTTH

Ryan69
18-12-2011, 04:03 AM
Think the OP is going abit overboard.
I mean how do you actually expect Hibs fans to feel? Are we all supposed tobe happy or something?
Making a comparison with Liverpool fans and what theyve been through,its not even a similar comparisson.

Liverpool are not in half the mess Hibs are,cause they no longer win titles....Does not make it the same,we cant even win a game.

Steve20
18-12-2011, 06:29 AM
So we should congratulate them on the garbage they produce every week.

I'm not talking about booing them or shouting abuse at games but if I think they've been crap, then I'm entitled to come on a forum and say so.

hibiedude
18-12-2011, 07:37 AM

I wish people would stop giving us their "Wisdom of Solomon rubbish"- we seem to get these after our latest defeat.

Let’s not blame the board but blame the fans for mess we find ourselves in is getting farcical.

I wasn’t under the impression the fans were running Hibs- have I missed this "BREAKING NEWS".

The bit highlighted is 100% correct and till that changes the fans will vent their feelings by staying away in large numbers or coming on forums like this and having their say.

AlbertK86
18-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Seriously..... Been a hibee for as long as I can remember although I've never really ventured on the hibs forums until this season. I have however been apart of the liverpool forums as I also support them and comparing the two together, when liverpool had a bad spell last year there was a few doubters but the majority of the fans were behind the team. Everyone is calling for the owners head? I don't see why because he is only there to pay the bills and sing the cheques. As far as I'm aware they did provide transfer money last season for CC which the scouting staff obviously highlighted as players who would improve the club given the money available. How ever the team has been garbage this season but so has the support. Staying in glasgow the majority of my friends are selleck or rangers fans and they used to speak of ER as a hard place to come before the new stands were built. Now all you get at ER is abuse towards the players when things don't go our way. Players read the forums and see the criticism and they let it get inside there head which just continues to more poor performances. I know this because my cousin plays spl football and he has told me if a player in the team gets a bit of stick, they're straight on the forums to see who's being saying what. A lot of players get can end up depressed because of the abuse they get (who would think a guy getting paid 3/4k a week to play football could get depressed about his job) but it does happen as these boys are just like me and you. Although sometimes they don't look interested on the pitch (which is what a lot of these comments are saying) they do care what people think of them. If we got behind them it would add some extra motivation and give them a moral boost. Has anyone here ever missed a sitter in an important game? I've missed a fair few and sometimes parents at the side of the park can get on my back but then my manager would have a word and try to boost my confidence which can motivate me to get the next one. The feeling you get when someone slates you after missing is terrible. you end up ****ing up your first touch and misplacing passes all over the shot because your worried about making mistakes. All this added pressure simply comes from people watching the game who want you to do well but are going the wrong way about it. Paul Lambert said the difference between Scotland and Germany was when I played **** in Germany, the coach would come and ask me if anything was wrong and if there was anything he could do to help. In Scotland he had some older man screaming in his face telling him he was useless. I think we need to stop blaming the board, the manager and the players and start supporting our team. After all that's why we're here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgAbu4zOxg4 Is the scouting staff not headed up by a relation of ROD. Aye ROD only signs the cheques!! Time you woke up mate !!

soupy
18-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Is the scouting staff not headed up by a relation of ROD. Aye ROD only signs the cheques!! Time you woke up mate !!Am sure someone posted a relative of Scott lindsay.

The Falcon
18-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Is the scouting staff not headed up by a relation of ROD. Aye ROD only signs the cheques!! Time you woke up mate !!

Was this ever confirmed?

Things haven't been going well which is why our owner had to put over £1m (interest free) into the club last season. Fans are choosing not to go and the owner may well have to the same this season to steady the ship. As long as he's prepared to do that he gets to do what he wants unless and until someone with the same clout comes along and wants to take over. IMO obviously.

killie-hibby
18-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Nothing has changed. I remember Joe Baker,before he went to Torino,describing Hibs supporters as being too critical on the team.

AlbertK86
18-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Was this ever confirmed? Things haven't been going well which is why our owner had to put over £1m (interest free) into the club last season. Fans are choosing not to go and the owner may well have to the same this season to steady the ship. As long as he's prepared to do that he gets to do what he wants unless and until someone with the same clout comes along and wants to take over. IMO obviously. Are you talking about RP or STF. If you are refering to RP he has had plenty from us for years and continually failed to deliver. Any other walk of life he would have been emptied. He just packs off or sacks the managers to rate his own skin. So transparent but he keeps getting away with it.

SouthamptonHibs
18-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Don't blame the fans!!!!!! Hibernian fans are quality we've just been served up crap utter crap for several years now! Have a word mate
Lets get used to where we are going, Dundee Ayr, QOS, RossCo etc we are ubber crap...ps i'll be at tannidice next week,i'll sing the songs and do my best to help the team, we are crap....anyway hail hail the hibs are here////off to pompey v saints today on the ale from 10am

The Falcon
18-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Are you talking about RP or STF. If you are refering to RP he has had plenty from us for years and continually failed to deliver. Any other walk of life he would have been emptied. He just packs off or sacks the managers to rate his own skin. So transparent but he keeps getting away with it.

As far as Hibs are concerned, given STF's ringing endorsement at the AGM, they appear to be inseparable. If I recall correctly RP is no longer being paid by the football club, neither is STF for that matter. Furthermore the "relation" you referred to wasn't Rod's but Scott Lindsay's brother in law although, again, I am not sure if this was ever confirmed that it is the same guy.

Caversham Green
18-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Is the scouting staff not headed up by a relation of ROD. Aye ROD only signs the cheques!! Time you woke up mate !!

There was a rumour that the scouting co-ordinator was a relative of Scott Lindsay. The rumour is wrong.

The OP has been criticised for using Liverpool as a comparison, so I'll offer an example that's maybe a bit more similar.

The season before last, Reading had gone nearly a full year without a home win and looked certainties for relegation. They found themselves 2-1 up against newly promoted Blackpool (Blackpool were seen as minnows at the time) with 10 minutes to go, but seriously under the cosh. Now the Mad Stad is not renowned for it's atmosphere, but that night the place was rocking - as good an atmosphere as the wins against Liverpool and Spurs a couple of seasons earlier. After the match one of the local radio commentators said that the players maybe didn't deserve the win but the fans certainly did.

Fast forward a few months to Hibs v Ross County in the big cup. One all, County are pressing and get a corner and all you can hear is the Hibs fans booing. How is that supposed to help our club progress to the next round? Yes the team were playing badly, but booing and groaning is never going to help a player improve his performance.

I don't see anyone blaming the fans for our current woes, but they do play a part and right now, with a few honourable exceptions, they don't seem to be playing that part very well.

The Falcon
18-12-2011, 10:09 AM
There was a rumour that the scouting co-ordinator was a relative of Scott Lindsay. The rumour is wrong.

Thanks CG. I thought that particular thread died a death right enough.

The Falcon
18-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Seriously.....
Paul Lambert said the difference between Scotland and Germany was when I played **** in Germany, the coach would come and ask me if anything was wrong and if there was anything he could do to help. In Scotland he had some older man screaming in his face telling him he was useless.

Malcolm McPherson tells that Franck Sauzee said something very similar from a management perspective.

brog
18-12-2011, 10:31 AM
I think the OP makes a number of very valid points. There is no doubt that the atmosphere at ER is currently very poor but ultimately the responsibility for that lies with the management & the team. If players are seen to be giving their all & trying something with a bit of creativity or spark then the majority of fans will usually respond in a positive fashion. Unfortunately, if an adventurous pass doesn't quite make it there will be some groans of disappointment & next time that player opts out & makes a side or back pass. Our best young player in years, Booth, has suffered greatly because of that.
Take yesterday, I thought we played ok, were definitely better than Dons as all stats show, but we completely lacked creativity. Talented players such as Spoony & Stevenson never take a man on & retreat within their own comfort zone. It's a 2 way thing but I agree we can play our part in getting rid of our own fear factor at ER.

Brizo
18-12-2011, 11:32 AM
I remember players like Benny Brazil , Joe T and Brian Hamilton getting absoulutely slaughtered ... often before they'd even gone on the pitch. There was no golden era of tolerance and fwiw I think the level of abuse was as high if not higher back in those days. The main difference is this tinternet thang which means criticism that was once confined to 90 minutes on match days is now 24/7. It could be argued that the match day abuse could be higher if the forums werent here for folk to vent.

As for us being more critical than other supports ive sat in Old Trafford in the home support and had people around me calling their world class players for everything. We are no more critical than any other support and id like to know how many fan bases the original posters sat in to come to his opinion that we are somehow more critical than others.

Hibercelona
18-12-2011, 12:16 PM
As far as i'm concerned, if the team has put in a poor performance, they should be spending their time training and getting fitter, no sitting on Hibs.net with a bottle of booze in the hand greetin over what the nasty men on Hibs.net have said.

If they can't be men, then perhaps they should participate in the women's league, a league in which they would still get shown up in.

smurf
18-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Yip we've never had it so good... and yet despite it all what a bunch of greeting faced so and so's we are...

We are not critical enough. That's the problem. If we were our players might think twice about cheerily going out as they do pissing their lives away....

Hibercelona
18-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Seriously.....

The difference between Scotland and the greats is our over all attitude about ourselves and others. I'm sure a study was done a while back that reported that Scotland was the 2nd most negative country in Europe. I can quite easily believe that. I seem to recall a song being made when Scotland qualified in 98 telling the players not to come home to soon. Apparently the team also had their return tickets booked before they even got to France. For me, this just sums up Scotland, not just in footballing aspects, but in everything. No winning mentality and excepting defeat right at the beginning.

If you've already lost in your mind, then theres just no point competing altogether.

Kaiser1962
18-12-2011, 02:21 PM
The difference between Scotland and the greats is our over all attitude about ourselves and others.

I remember not long after Sean Lineen took up coaching he traveled around at the behest SRU doing a sort of roadshow thing, similar to what he had done in New Zealand after he stopped playing.

In Scotland these were poorly attended with mainly reserves and some kids taking part. Despite Lineen playing 29 times for Scotland and being in the last Grand Slam winning team, there appeared to be an attitude that he had nothing to offer. At least from the senior players who believed they had nothing to learn.

When he did a similar thing in New Zealand, he ALWAYS had to have extra coaches on hand such was the attendance and the turnout was littered with All Black's past, present and future.

And there is no one, anywhere, more critical or expectant than New Zealand rugby supporters.

ancient hibee
18-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Eddie Turnbull was regularly booed when he played-another reason for his point of view that supporters knew nothing about football-only scored close to 200 goals-what did he know.

Feed McGraw
18-12-2011, 07:16 PM
The Hibs support must be one of the most loyal supports of any in the football world. What Hibs SHOULD have achieved and what they actually HAVE achieved would have all but wiped out most supports, but us ? We (or most of us) keep coming back for more such is our deep love of the club.

If the board through the generations hadn`t been so keen to sell our best players then we might have had more to celebrate than our blind faith.

Eyrie
18-12-2011, 07:52 PM
The Hibs support must be one of the most loyal supports of any in the football world. What Hibs SHOULD have achieved and what they actually HAVE achieved would have all but wiped out most supports, but us ? We (or most of us) keep coming back for more such is our deep love of the club.
I don't think anyone could argue we have underachieved over the last 136 years.

If the board through the generations hadn`t been so keen to sell our best players then we might have had more to celebrate than our blind faith.
A fair point, but at least the current ownership have invested the proceeds in the stadium and training facilities. With the infrastructure now complete there is no excuse for not spending on the team, providing the books balance over the medium term (a point completely lost on the Yams).

Kaiser1962
18-12-2011, 09:20 PM

Financial necessity dictated that players were sold. That and them wanting to leave.

RIP
18-12-2011, 09:45 PM
The Rangers game was a perfect example. Hundreds streaming for the exits after their second goal, heads bowed, trousers soiled

We have too many supporters not up for the fight of staying in the SPL. Some avocate boycotts until we start playing better. Incredible!!

We need to face facts. We can't do anything about manager or player selection. But if we really want to keep our club out of the First Devision, we need to support everyone one of the playing and coaching staff until now and the end of the season

Gala Foxes
18-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Remember in the mid 80's when we were fighting relegation & had a "6 pointer" at Dumbarton - club laid on a fleet of buses and we packed out Boghead, won & stayed up

Also remember the amazing Hibs support at Broadwood when we won 4-2 in the 2nd Leg Play Off against Airdrie

Would be good to get that spirit back

c31
18-12-2011, 10:12 PM
It needs to start at the top, the whole club is lethargic and STF needs new people to run it properly, not some suits who haven't a clue.

Hibercelona
18-12-2011, 10:19 PM
It needs to start at the top, the whole club is lethargic and STF needs new people to run it properly, not some suits who haven't a clue.

We need stronger leadership from the board all the way down to the squad.

I wouldn't suggest ripping the board out completely, but we certainly need a new head in there, somebody with a forward thinking attitude for football, somebody with ideas and inspiration. Something we just don't seem to have at the moment.

WindyMiller
19-12-2011, 12:02 AM

But we can change

If we really care about our club

:agree:

I tend to avoid home games, but even away games have their boo boys (Perth).

Beefster
19-12-2011, 07:33 AM
:agree:

I tend to avoid home games, but even away games have their boo boys (Perth).

A stayaway fan criticising those that do bother to fund the club, despite the dross they have to suffer? No hypocrisy there at all.

Twa Cairpets
19-12-2011, 11:35 AM
As far as i'm concerned, if the team has put in a poor performance, they should be spending their time training and getting fitter, no sitting on Hibs.net with a bottle of booze in the hand greetin over what the nasty men on Hibs.net have said.

If they can't be men, then perhaps they should participate in the women's league, a league in which they would still get shown up in.

What a horrible, nasty little post.

If you start with the assumption that no player, regardess of their inate ability goes onto the pitch to deliberately do badly, do they really deserve some of the vile opprobrium heaped upin them from either the stands or on a forum? On what planet can it be right for someone to scream that someone is a F****** USELESS C***, A F****** DISGRACE and that theyre so SH*** they should just F** OFF! And this from people who claim to be on their side?

But no, what theyre meant to do is take it all as part of their job, and go away and "get fitter" and not take the venom of thousands of people personally? Can you imagine any other occupation where constant, daily personal public slating is regarded as part and parcel of the role? On the train the other day, I saw one of the wee signs that says "our staff have the right to work without fear of violence or abuse", and the thought came to mind that it would be interesting to try to enforce that idea at football.

It's an oft discussed topic on Hibs.Net, but in the context of the OP, we do have a disproportionate number of fans whose primary reason for going to games is some type of "scream therapy" where the worse we are, the more opportunity there is to vent. I sat along from a guy for years who never celebrated goals beyond a couple of claps, but became truly volcanic when someone misplaced a pass. Whats that all about?

There isnt a black and white reason why we're where we are. It's not valid to say "its the fans fault" or "its the boards fault" or "its the managers fault" - its a combination of these things and lots of other factors. The only things really that fans can control is the support offered to the players on the pitch when they're playing games, and to an extent the way we react on message boards. I cannot see ANY benefit - NONE, ZERO, NADA - in booing, abusing or ripping your own players. The only thing that will happen is that the players will take less chances, look to get rid of the ball, whatever. Its not because they're not men (oh, and nice misogyny in your post as well by the way wee_hibee) its because theyre human beings, and thats the way human beings react. I'm not suggesting we all start happily singing about how wonderful we are, but suggesting that a depressingly large number of people take a step back and remember these points:

1) You're meant to be a supporter - defined as one who supports
2) You're meant to be doing something you enjoy. If you dont enjoy it, dont go, but dont tell the rest of us how you are morally superior in your abstinence
3) Think how it would be to a be a player, just for a second. Ignore the money, think what it would be to be a player getting the ball and feeling the expectation of failure flooding down from the stands - self fulfilling prohecy maybe?

JimBHibees
19-12-2011, 11:50 AM
What a horrible, nasty little post.

If you start with the assumption that no player, regardess of their inate ability goes onto the pitch to deliberately do badly, do they really deserve some of the vile opprobrium heaped upin them from either the stands or on a forum? On what planet can it be right for someone to scream that someone is a F****** USELESS C***, A F****** DISGRACE and that theyre so SH*** they should just F** OFF! And this from people who claim to be on their side?

But no, what theyre meant to do is take it all as part of their job, and go away and "get fitter" and not take the venom of thousands of people personally? Can you imagine any other occupation where constant, daily personal public slating is regarded as part and parcel of the role? On the train the other day, I saw one of the wee signs that says "our staff have the right to work without fear of violence or abuse", and the thought came to mind that it would be interesting to try to enforce that idea at football.

It's an oft discussed topic on Hibs.Net, but in the context of the OP, we do have a disproportionate number of fans whose primary reason for going to games is some type of "scream therapy" where the worse we are, the more opportunity there is to vent. I sat along from a guy for years who never celebrated goals beyond a couple of claps, but became truly volcanic when someone misplaced a pass. Whats that all about?

There isnt a black and white reason why we're where we are. It's not valid to say "its the fans fault" or "its the boards fault" or "its the managers fault" - its a combination of these things and lots of other factors. The only things really that fans can control is the support offered to the players on the pitch when they're playing games, and to an extent the way we react on message boards. I cannot see ANY benefit - NONE, ZERO, NADA - in booing, abusing or ripping your own players. The only thing that will happen is that the players will take less chances, look to get rid of the ball, whatever. Its not because they're not men (oh, and nice misogyny in your post as well by the way wee_hibee) its because theyre human beings, and thats the way human beings react. I'm not suggesting we all start happily singing about how wonderful we are, but suggesting that a depressingly large number of people take a step back and remember these points:

1) You're meant to be a supporter - defined as one who supports
2) You're meant to be doing something you enjoy. If you dont enjoy it, dont go, but dont tell the rest of us how you are morally superior in your abstinence
3) Think how it would be to a be a player, just for a second. Ignore the money, think what it would be to be a player getting the ball and feeling the expectation of failure flooding down from the stands - self fulfilling prohecy maybe?

Great post, some of the personal abuse given out to players including some very young ones trying to make their way in the game is appalling and says so much more about the person / people giving out the abuse than anything else. The odd screech of exasperation when someone makes a mistake fine however some of the behaviour is completely psychotic and certainly doesnt help the team.

Phil MaGlass
19-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Remember in the mid 80's when we were fighting relegation & had a "6 pointer" at Dumbarton - club laid on a fleet of buses and we packed out Boghead, won & stayed up

Also remember the amazing Hibs support at Broadwood when we won 4-2 in the 2nd Leg Play Off against Airdrie

Would be good to get that spirit back

those were great games, would be great if they could return, Keith,Keith, keith
I do agree we are too negative, that cant all be firmly put at the feet of 4 odd yrs, bad management and bad choices at board level. We went through the Miller and Williamson years and it took its toll on the club, the fans need and demand better now, were not perfect, but it is difficult when we have had to put up with mediocrity for years. I cant blame the fans for being negative, I dont think anyone can, we need a team on the park to start producing the goods, maybe one good win is all we need.
From what I gather the M,well game could have been the launch pad had the game not been abandoned.

" Now's the day, and now's the hour"

D.Utd away coukld be the turning point......

Twa Cairpets
19-12-2011, 12:02 PM

Can we no just kill this false belief once and for all.

The players wanted to go. We could not afford to pay 7,8,10x their salaries, and neither should we have. It is the way the market in footballers works, like it or not. It was SFA to do with the board being keen to sell them.

edwards
19-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Yip we've never had it so good... and yet despite it all what a bunch of greeting faced so and so's we are...

We are not critical enough. That's the problem. If we were our players might think twice about cheerily going out as they do pissing their lives away....

How many times over the past few seasons have we seen our players being charged for one thing or another. Pallson being the latest edition.
I am afraid if the players are looking to receive some form of respect from the fans then they will have to work their socks off to get it.
Any true proffesional wouldn't consider coming onto the forum which is meant for the fans in the first place.

Twa Cairpets
19-12-2011, 12:31 PM
How many times over the past few seasons have we seen our players being charged for one thing or another. Pallson being the latest edition.
I am afraid if the players are looking to receive some form of respect from the fans then they will have to work their socks off to get it.
Any true proffesional wouldn't consider coming onto the forum which is meant for the fans in the first place.

Why? What a load of cack. Some will want to come on, some won't, but it wrong to say it's unprofessional of them to do so.

How many players have been charged? I dont know - 2? 3? If you're relating this to players going out, it's not all of them - their seems to be an assumption that the sighting of a player having a beer after a game is a hanging offence, and that the entire squad is therefore culpable. If you mean should players play with the heid a wee bit and realise that with their chosen career comes a need to play with the heid a bit, yes, fine I agree, but requiring them to stay in every night, never darkening the door of a boozer in case they offend a fan who was at the game is ridiculous. Are they allowed to go to the cinema? Maybe if they wore sackcloth and ashes during the performance. Are they allowed to have a meal with their wife/girlfriend as long as they refuse to have a galss of wine?

We pay £25 to watch a game and suddenly we have the right to become the moral overlords of what players do when they're off work? Bollocks (with the exception of when its something like Craig Thomson - that transcends football).

Beefster
19-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm not big on abuse, booing and so on but some folk need to read Fabregas' views on abuse from the Barcelona support in this month's 442....

"...I wanted to take that step. I wanted to say, "Bollocks, if I play badly I want them to whistle and boo me". No one wants to be whistled but I wanted that pressure, those demands. That helps you improve. At times at Arsenal, there was a feeling of 'if we win, great; if not, well, we're very young, we're this, we're that...everything's fine"

Blows the "let's only encourage, clap and wrap them up in cotton wool, it's the only way' argument out of the water.

edwards
19-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Why? What a load of cack. Some will want to come on, some won't, but it wrong to say it's unprofessional of them to do so.

How many players have been charged? I dont know - 2? 3? If you're relating this to players going out, it's not all of them - their seems to be an assumption that the sighting of a player having a beer after a game is a hanging offence, and that the entire squad is therefore culpable. If you mean should players play with the heid a wee bit and realise that with their chosen career comes a need to play with the heid a bit, yes, fine I agree, but requiring them to stay in every night, never darkening the door of a boozer in case they offend a fan who was at the game is ridiculous. Are they allowed to go to the cinema? Maybe if they wore sackcloth and ashes during the performance. Are they allowed to have a meal with their wife/girlfriend as long as they refuse to have a galss of wine?

We pay £25 to watch a game and suddenly we have the right to become the moral overlords of what players do when they're off work? Bollocks (with the exception of when its something like Craig Thomson - that transcends football).

I wouldn't dream of hand cuffing a player to the dressing room door after the final whistle on a Saturday of course they are aloud to go out and enjoy themselves or have a pint but if they don't want to see themselves critisised on line the answer is don't come on.
Think there is a slight difference between having a pint to urinating up the wall in a night club as it is our club that get tarnished in the paper.
Our players are meant to be role models to youngsters what kind of example does that set. :rolleyes:

Twa Cairpets
19-12-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm not big on abuse, booing and so on but some folk need to read Fabregas' views on abuse from the Barcelona support in this month's 442....

"...I wanted to take that step. I wanted to say, "Bollocks, if I play badly I want them to whistle and boo me". No one wants to be whistled but I wanted that pressure, those demands. That helps you improve. At times at Arsenal, there was a feeling of 'if we win, great; if not, well, we're very young, we're this, we're that...everything's fine"

Blows the "let's only encourage, clap and wrap them up in cotton wool, it's the only way' argument out of the water.

No it doesnt, and thats not the argument anyway. There is a world of difference between Fabregas being booed (and lets be honest, how often has Fabregas been reamed for playing badly?) and someone like Wotherspoon getting it tight at a Stadium and on-line. I'm not saying that they should "be wrapped in cotton wool", I'm suggesting that an endless tirade of personal, loud, foul-mouthed (and predominantly monumentally stupid) abuse in a quiet stadium isn't going to do the players a world of good.

Twa Cairpets
19-12-2011, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't dream of hand cuffing a player to the dressing room door after the final whistle on a Saturday of course they are aloud to go out and enjoy themselves or have a pint but if they don't want to see themselves critisised on line the answer is don't come on.
Think there is a slight difference between having a pint to urinating up the wall in a night club as it is our club that get tarnished in the paper.
Our players are meant to be role models to youngsters what kind of example does that set. :rolleyes:

The role model thing is a different can of worms, so I'll body swerve that one.

As for the avoiding the online thing, Im sure loads of players do, and I'm not suggesting that we should all tiptoe round in carpet slippers for fear of offence. I know its a hugely idealist position to take, but its the amount of sheer stupid that is posted that just wears you down as fan. Christ knows what it must be like if you're a player. I'm as guilty as anyone of posting some amount of drivel on this site, but I hope I've avoided the "F*** OFF (enter current scapegoats name here) you're SH***/not fit to wear the jersey/wage thief/useles C*** etc etc". It's just unthinking, pointless, valueless pish.

Feed McGraw
19-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Can we no just kill this false belief once and for all.

The players wanted to go. We could not afford to pay 7,8,10x their salaries, and neither should we have. It is the way the market in footballers works, like it or not. It was SFA to do with the board being keen to sell them.

I`m talking about down through the ages,not so much about the recent sales - even if they didn`t want to move nowadays, their agent would get in their ear anyway and convince them to move.

Kammy1875
19-12-2011, 04:13 PM
It's a series of complete disasters that have taken us from 3rd in the SPL, yearly trips to Hampden whilst playing good football to bottom of the table dross and falling crowds lad has us so critical.

WindyMiller
19-12-2011, 05:24 PM
A stayaway fan criticising those that do bother to fund the club, despite the dross they have to suffer? No hypocrisy there at all.

I work shifts and have to see the Hibs/take holidays during my time off.

I pick my games to attend accordingly.

I enjoy the away games more than the home due to the people around me, so often book trips away when we're at home.

The performances are sometimes better also, but not always.

I fund the club in other ways.

Beefster
19-12-2011, 06:15 PM
No it doesnt, and thats not the argument anyway. There is a world of difference between Fabregas being booed (and lets be honest, how often has Fabregas been reamed for playing badly?) and someone like Wotherspoon getting it tight at a Stadium and on-line. I'm not saying that they should "be wrapped in cotton wool", I'm suggesting that an endless tirade of personal, loud, foul-mouthed (and predominantly monumentally stupid) abuse in a quiet stadium isn't going to do the players a world of good.

I don't know where you sit but where I am, it's hardly endless. I think, considering how rubbish they've been and for how long, that they get off relatively easily. If they played in some other countries, they wouldn't be able to show their faces in public until things improved.

I work shifts and have to see the Hibs/take holidays during my time off.

I pick my games to attend accordingly.

I enjoy the away games more than the home due to the people around me, so often book trips away when we're at home.

The performances are sometimes better also, but not always.

I fund the club in other ways.

I'm not questioning how or why you do what you do. I'm likely to give up my ST myself next year because it's so bad.

I'm questioning someone, who admittedly doesn't go to many home games, criticising those that do drag themselves along every fortnight.

To be honest, I'm fed up hearing the fans getting the blame for the budget, empty stadium, crap atmosphere and more. Once the club is doing its job properly, if all these things are the same, then we can look at what the fans need to do.

nortonhibby
19-12-2011, 06:42 PM

God help us the happy clappers will all start booing now after reading that:confused:

midlothianhibby
19-12-2011, 09:44 PM
I've been going to ER since the mid 70's and for me the atmosphere inside the stadium is fairly consistent with performances on the park.

If we play really well and win well, then everyone is buzzing.

If we play well and either win/lose or draw then there is warm applause.

If we play poorly and scrape a draw or a win, things are fairly muted.

If we play poorly and lose, the fans soon let the players know what they feel.

I don't believe that we are much different to any others and are as fickle as the best of them. One thing everyone needs to remember is that you play at the top level of anything, not only because of your ability, but because of your mentality.

There are a lot of good players that end up dropping down divisions because they can't perform at the higher level in front of expectant crowds, and I'm afraid if we have players who can't deal with the pressures placed upon them by playing for a club like ours, then they may well find their comfort level at the likes of Hamilton, Morton or Livingston.

JohnScott
19-12-2011, 10:24 PM

Yeh your quite right. Lets strip our boys naked and drag them through the streets of Leith...............:wink:

Stonewall
19-12-2011, 10:39 PM

I've been reading your posts for a few years now thinking you were a bit of a tube.

Ithink now you've proved it beyond reasonable doubt.

JohnScott
19-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I wish people would stop giving us their "Wisdom of Solomon rubbish"- we seem to get these after our latest defeat.

Let’s not blame the board but blame the fans for mess we find ourselves in is getting farcical.

I wasn’t under the impression the fans were running Hibs- have I missed this "BREAKING NEWS".

The bit highlighted is 100% correct and till that changes the fans will vent their feelings by staying away in large numbers or coming on forums like this and having their say.

Not one person has blamed the fans for our clubs ill's on this post. NOT ONE. I for one was making the point that we got what we wanted, a new manager. So until PF gets the team as he wants it we need to do our bit. I can't believe any player's not going to try their best with a transfer window weeks away and a new manager assessing them. Till PF gets his team the way he wants it we need to stop whinging and do our bit. Or you could continue slagging off the players till we drop back into the first division. :rolleyes:

RIP
19-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Not one person has blamed the fans for our clubs ill's on this post. NOT ONE. I for one was making the point that we got what we wanted, a new manager. So until PF gets the team as he wants it we need to do our bit. I can't believe any player's not going to try their best with a transfer window weeks away and a new manager assessing them. Till PF gets his team the way he wants it we need to stop whinging and do our bit. Or you could continue slagging off the players till we drop back into the first division. :rolleyes:

Well said John.

From now on I'm only going to call fellow Hibbies a 'Supporter' if they actually go to games and back the team on the park

Sounds revolutionary but there you go

Beefster
20-12-2011, 07:09 AM
I've been reading your posts for a few years now thinking you were a bit of a tube.

Ithink now you've proved it beyond reasonable doubt.

Thanks. I should quote Fabregas more often then.

I don't think I've ever noticed one of your posts before.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Anyone want to make a comment about the Blackburn Rovers fans right now on SKY?