PDA

View Full Version : Boring.

Wotherspiniesta
17-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Away from the fact that we're bottom of the league, we have got to be the most boring team in this league by a mile. We barely create any chances and are completely devoid of creativity. Ask yourself a question, which player(s) in this team excites you? Get bums off seats? The only player I would say does this, is Griffiths and he's not even our player.

No wonder fans are turning their backs. Not only are we losing far too many games, but we're dull as dishwater.

Pedantic_Hibee
17-12-2011, 03:01 PM
We created more than Aberdeen today. And Rangers last week for that matter.

I can see where you're coming from though.

At The Edge
17-12-2011, 03:06 PM
We certainly missed Ozzy today, we had no creative spark in midfield, this hoofball to Gaz as well is awful, surely Pat can see that?
We did have some decent passeages of play throughout the game, but on the whole, yep we are pretty dull.
we are fitter, look more organised but lack a spark to split teams open

Franck Stanton
17-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Agree completly with you, when you think back, just a few seasons, when we hd the likes of Latapy/Zeemmamma who both had the ability to light up a game and the look at what's on offer just now you can understand why there are less and less punters attending games.

BoltonHibee
17-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Away from the fact that we're bottom of the league, we have got to be the most boring team in this league by a mile. We barely create any chances and are completely devoid of creativity. Ask yourself a question, which player(s) in this team excites you? Get bums off seats? The only player I would say does this, is Griffiths and he's not even our player.

No wonder fans are turning their backs. Not only are we losing far too many games, but we're dull as dishwater.

Agree 100%, the football on offer is nothing short of pathetic.

archiebald
17-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Ok I know were you are coming from but most teams can put the ball up to the center forward and he can either hold it up pass it or make a run Gary O is so much off form he can do nothing-and he dives falls fouls - I hope he goes in January

sbell1875
17-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Hoofball up to GOC didn't work 7, 8 years ago under that fat w*nk Williamson and it took Mowbray to actually realise he's a better player with the ball being played on the deck. Although the current problem we have is that no other player except for Osbourne or Wotherspoon if he is the mood had the ability to pass the ball or play any sort of "attractive" football.

It is quite possibly the poorest midfield I've seen us have in my 15 years of following Hibs boy and man.

BoltonHibee
17-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Ok I know were you are coming from but most teams can put the ball up to the center forward and he can either hold it up pass it or make a run Gary O is so much off form he can do nothing-and he dives falls fouls - I hope he goes in January

To be fair, that is not really his game at all. If we are going to persist with those **** tactics, we should look to Sodje playing that role.

Franck Stanton
17-12-2011, 03:23 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but in mine I think we are wasting his talents. GOC is, and never will be a lone "target" man like he is being asked to be just now. He needs a striking partner beside him. Thats just his game, the way he likes it. I can understand Fenlon adopting the current team formation as he is trying to tighten things up and make us harder to beat - but if he persists, then better to have someone like Sodje as lone striker. Now don't get me wrong, pound-for-pound Sodge cant hold a candle to GOC and is nowhere near being the full time answer - but, given our current squad and formation imo he would hold ball up better/longer and allow our midfield more time to join the attack. As for moving GOC on in January, I for one hope not, wouldn't be end of the world but think he still has goals in him and I would rather he was scoring them for us and not against us.

archiebald
17-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Yes but he cant control the ball to play any roll-and he cant even poach cause he gets caught offside

coco22
17-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but in mine I think we are wasting his talents. GOC is, and never will be a lone "target" man like he is being asked to be just now. He needs a striking partner beside him. Thats just his game, the way he likes it. I can understand Fenlon adopting the current team formation as he is trying to tighten things up and make us harder to beat - but if he persists, then better to have someone like Sodje as lone striker. Now don't get me wrong, pound-for-pound Sodge cant hold a candle to GOC and is nowhere near being the full time answer - but, given our current squad and formation imo he would hold ball up better/longer and allow our midfield more time to join the attack. As for moving GOC on in January, I for one hope not, wouldn't be end of the world but think he still has goals in him and I would rather he was scoring them for us and not against us.

GOC is clearly unhappy, uncomfortable and ineffective in the role he is being deployed in. No coincidence that his successful stint this season was when he had griffiths up top with him ( eg. dunf, motherwell). You don't become a bad player mid-season but he needs a confidence boost and a kick up the erchie.

BoltonHibee
17-12-2011, 04:19 PM
GOC is clearly unhappy, uncomfortable and ineffective in the role he is being deployed in. No coincidence that his successful stint this season was when he had griffiths up top with him ( eg. dunf, motherwell). You don't become a bad player mid-season but he needs a confidence boost and a kick up the erchie.

At least Calderwood could see that...I thought Pat Fenlon had watched DVD's of our previous matches?

Spike Mandela
17-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Bad decision today against a bad Aberdeen side. However, we are the poorest team in a poor league and our position is deserved. Relegation is a real possibility if Dunfermline can pick up any results.

thebausburst
17-12-2011, 04:26 PM

I could not agree more with this posting, 100% on the money. Hibs are truly awful to watch and you NEVER feel they are actually going to score, never mind provide ANY form of excitement for the fans!

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2011, 04:35 PM
We miss Liam Miller.:wink:

KeithTheHibby
17-12-2011, 04:41 PM
That **** Calderwood has a lot to answer for signing that shower of *****.

BoltonHibee
17-12-2011, 04:41 PM
That **** Calderwood has a lot to answer for signing that shower of *****.

Yip, as do others for letting him

Spike Mandela
17-12-2011, 04:42 PM

We mis Alex Miller:wink:

BoltonHibee
17-12-2011, 04:45 PM
We mis Alex Miller:wink:

It's sad to think, but you'd kill for those days

KeithTheHibby
17-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Yip, as do others for letting him

It is easy to criticise the board but they backed the manager so are they really to blame?

Managers make the football decisions and decide on what players to bring in so the board have done that?

hibsbollah
17-12-2011, 04:57 PM
We have no-one to play that creative midfield position. Taouil, Shiels in January? We've got grafters in our squad (although some i know will argue we dont, but im seeing plenty of effort out there ATM) but no-one to excite the fans. I know we're in a relegation dogfight but you still need some talent as well as battle.

BoltonHibee
17-12-2011, 05:16 PM
It is easy to criticise the board but they backed the manager so are they really to blame?

Managers make the football decisions and decide on what players to bring in so the board have done that?

They have appointed a series of managers that have taken this club backwards. I have very little time for this board, they have under performed in their duties for years, that is plain for all to see. As a business in general they have been a major let down, and I cannot understand why certain members have been allowed to remain in the posts they have held. If they were board members in any of my companies they would have been removed from office well before now. There are obviously wider issues than that of football manager appointments, but that is part of the issue we are talking about now.

Beefster
17-12-2011, 05:19 PM
We've scored the least amount of goals and have the second-worst goals scored : goals conceded in the SPL. Too right it's dull as dishwater.

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2011, 05:24 PM
They have appointed a series of managers that have taken this club backwards. I have very little time for this board, they have under performed in their duties for years, that is plain for all to see. As a business in general they have been a major let down, and I cannot understand why certain members have been allowed to remain in the posts they have held. If they were board members in any of my companies they would have been removed from office well before now. There are obviously wider issues than that of football manager appointments, but that is part of the issue we are talking about now.

Unless of course they disappeared and you couldn't find them? :wink:

Sir David Gray
17-12-2011, 05:58 PM
I watched about the last 20 minutes of the Rangers-Inverness game today and I saw more craft, skill and entertainment in those 20 minutes from Inverness than I've seen all season from Hibs. They played positively and didn't deserve to lose.

That's the second time in recent weeks that I've heard/seen postive things about Inverness (a few weeks ago, after defeat to Hearts, the comment from the radio commentator was that Inverness didn't play like a team that was near the bottom of the league).

If they play against us on the 28th December, how they played today at Ibrox then I don't see us getting anything and these are the types of matches which are absolutely vital for us just now.

nortonhibby
17-12-2011, 06:32 PM

This is like a post about Colin Nish.

Tyler Durden
17-12-2011, 06:37 PM
We were far too negative today. Fenlon is clearly trying to make us tougher to beat but it's difficult to see us getting to the stage of regularly keeping clean sheets with these players. So 2 strikers is a must to at least give us a better chance of scoring. Despite Sodje's lack of technical ability, he does cause problems for the opposition - he showed that again today. Get him up top with O'Connor and sacrifice one of the wide players.

Which brings me to another point - why does Fenlon persist with wingers playing on the opposite of their "natural" side? It may be the fashionable tactic but the level of player we have can't make it work! Billy Brown was interviewed on ESPN at HT and bemoaned the fact that Galbraith wouldn't stay wide and was coming in too much. It's cause him and Sproule (and Griffiths) are so one footed they constantly cut/drift inside. Making them easy to read and pretty ineffective. Get Ivan wide right, ask Lewis to shuttle over a bit further left and get Sodje up front and I'm sure O'Connor will start getting more chances. Or maybe even introduce Booth wide left as at least we know he's someone who can dribble, pass and cross - something his team mates continually find difficult.

Final moan - Hanlon's distribution is apalling. He gets worse every week regardless of position.

Iain G
17-12-2011, 06:52 PM

Having watched Liam playing in the flesh last week I can confirm we don't miss him at all ;-)

Gatecrasher
17-12-2011, 06:58 PM
I enjoyed the game today, Hibs created 2 or 3 decent chances. played some decent football and the defense has been a lot better the last couple of weeks. We ended up being unlucky in the end having the ref gave Aberdeen a soft Penalty which gifted them a game we could have got something out of.

I look forward to seeing what changes are made in january. Mon the Hibs

down the slope
17-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Every decent team is built from the back , today i never saw an Aberdeen player getting to the touchline and getting a cross in , apart from a few balls hoofed in our keeper could have been having a fag and a cup of tea for all the time he was bothered !. Todays result was a complete injustice but that's what happens when you are in our position in the league. Believe me this is a different Hibs team we were watching from a few weeks ago .

sahib
18-12-2011, 11:28 AM

These are desperate times and most people would accept "boring" if it saw us climb the table. I just don't think it works very well. If you can't score then one goal is enough to beat you and any team could put one passed you. Coaching playing tight seems to be a lot easier than coaching creativity and how to threaten the opposition goal. Leastways that is how it seems to the humble lay observer, not being one of the football folk.

Spike Mandela
18-12-2011, 12:47 PM
These are desperate times and most people would accept "boring" if it saw us climb the table. I just don't think it works very well. If you can't score then one goal is enough to beat you and any team could put one passed you. Coaching playing tight seems to be a lot easier than coaching creativity and how to threaten the opposition goal. Leastways that is how it seems to the humble lay observer, not being one of the football folk.

Hard to believe it was only a couple of years ago we had Stokes, Riordan and Nish getting the best part of 50 odd goals between them.:rolleyes:

Andy74
18-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Hard to believe it was only a couple of years ago we had Stokes, Riordan and Nish getting the best part of 50 odd goals between them.:rolleyes:

And a defensive record that was the best for decades. We didn't like all that nonsense though.

blackpoolhibs
18-12-2011, 01:01 PM
And a defensive record that was the best for decades. We didn't like all that nonsense though.

Strange that, yet when we are losing most weeks as seems to be the case now, some of those same folk who were not happy then, actually see progress now?

:confused::confused::confused:

Tyler Durden
18-12-2011, 01:03 PM
The defensive record fell to pieces after Xmas, so not really anything to shout about.

Signings like Grounds, Duffy, Trakys, De Graaf and Hart were no better than the mugs that Calderwood brought in either.

Feed McGraw
18-12-2011, 01:04 PM

And I can`t stand reading nonsense about how good we were under Hughes, when we most definitely were not.

blackpoolhibs
18-12-2011, 01:09 PM
And I can`t stand reading nonsense about how good we were under Hughes, when we most definitely were not.

I keep hearing how bad the spl is, and agree we are poor and have been since 2007. Yet when we were 3rd or 4th you know the best of the rest. Punching our weight was seen as not good enough, i wish i knew what was, as this crap we are watching now clearly isnt?

joe breezy
18-12-2011, 01:20 PM
I think Scottish football's on a downward spiral where even Rangers and Celtic will struggle (Rangers already are)

Irish League situation is what beckons for the Scottish game

Crowds will continue to decline and a few big clubs will go to the wall

silverhibee
18-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Strange that, yet when we are losing most weeks as seems to be the case now, some of those same folk who were not happy then, actually see progress now?

Yep, and John Rankin was deemed not good enough because all he done was to work hard for the team but everyone thought he was p**h, but now wee Lewis who is the same player near enough and he is working hard on the park and gets a rating of 9 from some on here after getting beat. :confused:

Cropley10
18-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Yep, and John Rankin was deemed not good enough because all he done was to work hard for the team but everyone thought he was p**h, but now wee Lewis who is the same player near enough and he is working hard on the park and gets a rating of 9 from some on here after getting beat. :confused:

Stevenson does work hard, as hard as Rankin. Lewis has the advantage of being a far better passer of the ball.

Cropley10
18-12-2011, 02:39 PM

That Stokes was a right bad influence and we're well shot of him :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Hard to believe it was only a couple of years ago we had Stokes, Riordan and Nish getting the best part of 50 odd goals between them.:rolleyes:Even harder to believe 2 of the 3 started the Maribor away game on the bench!

nortonhibby
18-12-2011, 03:07 PM

There has been no progress under the last 2 incubient managers the fact that CC Lasted so long is down to very bad business by the Board, we could all see he was way out of his depth and the longer he lasted the worse it got.

blackpoolhibs
18-12-2011, 03:13 PM
There has been no progress under the last 2 incubient managers the fact that CC Lasted so long is down to very bad business by the Board, we could all see he was way out of his depth and the longer he lasted the worse it got.

Not true, at least under Hughes we had some success that he couldnt continue.

nortonhibby
18-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Not true, at least under Hughes we had some success that he couldnt continue.

If it was shown as a graph chart the line would go up for an inch then down by about 4 inches.

blackpoolhibs
18-12-2011, 03:23 PM
If it was shown as a graph chart the line would go up for an inch then down by about 4 inches.

Yip thats true, but we had folk moaning when we were 3rd. If we cant get behind the club and team when we are doing well, its no surprise to me we dont keep it up.

silverhibee
18-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Stevenson does work hard, as hard as Rankin. Lewis has the advantage of being a far better passer of the ball.

Just a pity his passing is mostly back the way to a defender.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-12-2011, 03:54 PM
I think Scottish football's on a downward spiral where even Rangers and Celtic will struggle (Rangers already are)Irish League situation is what beckons for the Scottish gameCrowds will continue to decline and a few big clubs will go to the wallVery true.Will the last person to leave please switch off the lights!

hibsbollah
18-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Absolute garbage. Trying to equate Rankin and Stevenson is nonsense. Rankin=hard work running about doing nothing. Stevenson=hard work+other stuff. And the 'passing the ball backward' jibe? Seriously? Its his job to play short simple passes, thats what his position calls for.

frazeHFC
18-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Griffiths frustrates the hell out of me, but he could become a great player. Ozzy is the only one i would say is entertaining me atm.

Andy74
18-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Yip thats true, but we had folk moaning when we were 3rd. If we cant get behind the club and team when we are doing well, its no surprise to me we dont keep it up.

That's about the size of it.

Beefster
18-12-2011, 07:05 PM

That's about the size of it.

It's fair enough to have a man-crush on Hughes but to keep banging on about it a long time after it should have ended is tragic IMO. I bet Hughes doesn't even call you two any more, does he?

At The Edge
18-12-2011, 07:39 PM
It's fair enough to have a man-crush on Hughes but to keep banging on about it a long time after it should have ended is tragic IMO. I bet Hughes doesn't even call you two any more, does he?

i think the correct word now is 'Bromance' :wink: