PDA

View Full Version : Could Friday Night Football rescue Scottish football

Hibbyradge
17-12-2011, 08:18 AM
What do you think Friday night football?

Traditionalists will argue that 3.00 on a Saturday is the time for football, but there aren't any real reasons for it and football in recent years has become a movable feast in order to maximise TV revenue.

Football faces stiff competition on a Saturday afternoon. Golf, shopping, DIY, gardening, family pressures, English football on satellite, work and many more all keep folk away from the games.

These alternatives aren't as prominent on a Friday night. In fact, what are the competing pressures on a Friday? I can't think of any, although I'm sure they will exist for some people, but I am very much in favour of the idea. I definitely think we should have an extended trial.

TV games could be scheduled for a Saturday morning as happens now so we'd have no competition from TV.

Golfers, like me, would be able to play at their usual time and still go to the game.

Folk could earn their overtime or complete their contracted hours and parents could still take the kids swimming on a Saturday afternoon.

Regular Friday night football. Bring it on. I might even buy a season ticket again.

Thoughts?

nonshinyfinish
17-12-2011, 08:24 AM

Traditionalists will argue that 3.00 on a Saturday is the time for football, but there aren't any real reasons for it and football in recent years has become a movable feast in order to maximise TV revenue.

Football faces stiff competition on a Saturday afternoon. Golf, shopping, DIY, gardening, family pressures, English football on satellite, work and many more all keep folk away from the games.

These alternatives aren't as prominent on a Friday night. In fact, what are the competing pressures on a Friday? I can't think of any, although I'm sure they will exist for some people, but I am very much in favour of the idea. I definitely think we should have an extended trial.

TV games could be scheduled for a Saturday morning as happens now so we'd have no competition from TV.

Golfers, like me, would be able to play at their usual time and still go to the game.

Folk could earn their overtime or complete their contracted hours and parents could still take the kids swimming on a Saturday afternoon.

Regular Friday night football. Bring it on. I might even buy a season ticket again.

Thoughts?

Do you mean Friday night being the standard time? Or occasional Friday games?

Hibbyradge
17-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Do you mean Friday night being the standard time? Or occasional Friday games?

I'm suggesting it as the standard time for SPL games. :agree:

Thinking about this a bit more, I'd definitely get a season ticket if football was played regularly on a friday.

The main reason I didn't renew this season was because the standard was so poor. However, I do have an alternative which I enjoy i.e. organised golf competitions every week.

If I didn't have any particular alternative, chances are I would have renewed anyway and just moaned about it a lot more!

Although I can play golf on a Friday evening in the summer, it would just be bounce games and I wouldn't miss them.

Barney McGrew
17-12-2011, 08:34 AM

It will never happen.

The OF have too many fans travelling over from Ireland to watch them every weekend so they'd never vote for it.

Hibbyradge
17-12-2011, 08:37 AM
It will never happen.

The OF have too many fans travelling over from Ireland to watch them every weekend so they'd never vote for it.

Most of their games are on TV so would be played on a Saturday.

Anyway, they already play evening games during the week.

MSK
17-12-2011, 08:39 AM

Thinking about this a bit more, I'd definitely get a season ticket if football was played regularly on a friday.

The main reason I didn't renew this season was because the standard was so poor. However, I do have an alternative which I enjoy i.e. organised golf competitions every week.

If I didn't have any particular alternative, chances are I would have renewed anyway and just moaned about it a lot more!

Although I can play golf on a Friday evening in the summer, it would just be bounce games and I wouldn't miss them.Nah, I would prefer Saturday's 3pm ..I play league bowls on a Friday, April to September ..

Ray_
17-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Most of their games are on TV so would be played on a Saturday.

Other than their derby, very few of their home games are televised.

R'Albin
17-12-2011, 08:41 AM

Thoughts?

You make a lot of very good points:agree:

The atmosphere has been a lot better on the Friday nights, there has been decent turnouts as well. Probably never happen but would be worth trying, because at the moment Scottish football is slowly dying.

Edit- Would need to be 645 KO or something like that.

Hibbyradge
17-12-2011, 08:43 AM

True, but the majority of their 38 games would be played on a Saturday.

If they can happily play on Wednesday and Thursday nights, why not Fridays?

I'm sure folk from Dublin could get to Glasgow in time for a 7.45 kick off on a Friday.

Lucius Apuleius
17-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Occasional, OK. Every week? No thanks mate. Too many things to do on a Friday night. Also hearing/reading a lot of complaining about Scotland matches being on a Friday night.

Barney McGrew
17-12-2011, 08:45 AM

:agree:

So far this season, Celtic have not had a league game played at Parkhead on TV. Rangers have had two - the opening game of the season when they unfurled the championship flag and the OF game.

Hibbyradge
17-12-2011, 08:49 AM
:agree:

So far this season, Celtic have not had a game played at Parkhead on TV. Rangers have had two - the opening game of the season when they unfurled the championship flag and the OF game.

My question is whether or not Hibs supporters like the idea.

Not whether or not the SPL should be pandering to a few fans who travel from Ireland.

The SPL would be better off without these people anyway given their sectarian backgrounds.

You never know, given all the recent controversy and trouble from UEFA, the Old Firm might grab the opportunity to get rid themselves.

Jones28
17-12-2011, 08:58 AM
I like the idea of Friday night football, and I couldn't for the life of me understand all the moaning and whining on here when it was announced!

It's something a bit different to the normal 3pm Saturday or 12 on a Sunday kick-offs we usually have.

Beefster
17-12-2011, 08:59 AM

I'd definitely give mine up if we played mainly on a Friday night.

Barney McGrew
17-12-2011, 09:03 AM
I'd definitely give mine up if we played on a Friday night.

I'd find it difficult to justify the cost because I'd miss a lot more games. I'd also take my wee one to a lot less games, not getting back to the house until 10.30/10.45pm (and even later for some away games) would rule out taking her.

Hibbyradge
17-12-2011, 09:03 AM
I'd definitely give mine up if we played mainly on a Friday night.

well there's one positive already. No loss of income. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2011, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't renew my season ticket, Saturdays at 3pm is the best time for me. Fridays would be a no no, the last train home leaves before the match ends.

So for a purely selfish reason its a definite no from me.

Billy Whizz
17-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Would be happy with the odd game or so on a Friday but not the full card

Hibbyradge
17-12-2011, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't renew my season ticket, Saturdays at 3pm is the best time for me. Fridays would be a no no, the last train home leaves before the match ends.

So for a purely selfish reason its a definite no from me.

Fair enough.

Your only option would be to renew your friendship with Bolton Hibs and get a lift, but that's not going to happen any time soon! :wink:

BroxburnHibee
17-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Despite enjoying the half Motherwell game :wink: a lot I put no. It won't rescue Scottish football on its own.

It does however have a part to play though - Scottish football needs to get a whole lot more creative ideas going.

Times are hard - fans are saving their hard earned cash more than ever.

Look at today - Aberdeen away was always one of the fixtures I loved going to (even if it was televised) as it was a great away day - no chance today though - half 12 kick offs are crap.

BoltonHibee
17-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Fair enough.

Your only option would be to renew your friendship with Bolton Hibs and get a lift, but that's not going to happen any time soon! :wink:

Friday night games have just become more appealing :)

Hibbyradge
17-12-2011, 09:58 AM

:tee hee:

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2011, 10:05 AM

:greengrin What times best for you buddy? :na na:

joe breezy
17-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Not for me, I'd never see a game, Friday nights are for drinking after work...

PiemanP
17-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Would there be an issue with public transport times - say we are away to aberdeen/inverness/killie even ross county if they get promoted, what time are the last trains back to edinburgh? Quite like the idea of friday night football, but I'd only want it limited to teams which are a fairly short journey away, which to be fair is pretty much most of our league!

Baldy
17-12-2011, 10:10 AM
you would have problems getting to and from games, rush hour going there (crowded public transport) and no public transport after games.

most folk don't have a 9-5 job and may not be finished in time to get to the games, I think the novelty factor and the low prices meant the Friday night game's so far have been a success

I don't think paying full price on a Friday would get the gates up

so its a no from me

hongkonghibee
17-12-2011, 10:11 AM
From a selfish point of view I dont live Friday night matches , 7pm UK time is 3am HK time, so evening matches mean i get next to no sleep that night watching on Hibs TV live.

Saorsa
17-12-2011, 10:18 AM
I'd like 3pm on a Saturday tae be the normal time, that's quite novel these days.

The_Exile
17-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Would like the bigger games on a friday night under the floodlights, but would prefer the rest of them to kick off on a saturday at an earlier time, 3pm is too late and is bang in the middle of the afternoon, would be better if they kicked off at say 12:30pm - 1:00pm, that way you've got a fair chunk of the afternoon left to do other things :agree:

Eyrie
17-12-2011, 10:23 AM
One game from the SPL card each week would be a good idea, provided that the travel implications are considered. It would free up the weekend for other interests.

But I'd be against it as the standard kick off time for all games.

NAE NOOKIE
17-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Not sure so I didnt vote, but I dont see any harm in the odd Friday night game, anything is worth a try which might bring more folk to games.

BoltonHibee
17-12-2011, 11:22 AM
:greengrin What times best for you buddy? :na na:

What about 7am KO's on a Wednesday morning?

soupy
17-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Not for me personally, cos of working shifts.
Me thinks nighttime football would be successful as long as your watching decent stuff, but as soon as your watching mince that's when fans will stop goin.